TG Fiction dot NET is new AGAIN!

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Hi Everyone! I posted this a few mins ago @ Crystal's CyberBoard and @ Fictionmania HyperBoard, so please forgive the redundant posting if you read all boards.

A couple years back, I created a new site design for TG Fiction dot NET and posted here asking for feedback, and got some great responses. Well, I'm trying out a new skin/layout over @ TG Fiction dot NET..

It's really a modification of an existing skin, but pulls the site together much nicer, with a friendlier, less jarring interface.

Please take a look and let me know what you think!

-P/KAF/PT

Good

Good to see you keep working on the site, Piper. Perhaps this will call people's attention to it, and more authors will post there as well as on their usual haunts.

Now, I hate to criticize, but... as long as you are working on web stuff... could you do something about the HuggleBugs site? Even a static "out of order" page would be better than the database error page we get now.

I Like it.

easier than the yellow/brown on the eyes

One thing ...

Piper,

One thing I'd suggest - is that you change the ePub option from an opt-out to an opt-in. As it stands, authors stories can be downloaded many times in ePub format - even if that's not their intent - before they have a chance to opt-out.

Oh - I agree that the option to make your stories available in ePub format is useful. Just suggest the default should be changed.

Another thing. If memory serves, there are "free" utilities out there that will let you convert between ebook formats - you might find one (or more) and provide a link to one that converst ePub to the Kindle format - as the Kindle's got the market share here in the US...

Anne

Opt Out vs Opt In

Piper's picture

When I first started the site, I intended to offer the stories in every format I could possibly make available, but fell quite short of that. From day one, readers have always had the option of viewing the chapters online like normal, using the printer friendly page to print them, or to download a copy of the story in MS word's docx format.

The fact that I felt that the ePub option was much the same as the "Download as WORD" option (which isn't turn off able) made me think that opt-out was the best method for TGF (TG Fiction dot NET).

Quite soon, the ability to choose ePub On/Off will be presented to you when you submit a new story, as well as on the manage page. Once that option is there, I will make it an "opt-in" on new submissions.

I sent out an email to every author @ TGF, with directions on how to opt out, and information on what ePubs are.

Whilst Amazon for the time being, has the vast market share, I don't see that lasting for long at all. With iPad/iPhone/iTouch natively supporting ePub (which is the IDPF standard), and the ability to transfer even DRM encoded ebooks between ePub devices and software from different manufacturers (as long as they use the same DRM, most use ADOBE's DRM, APPLE doesn't.), Amazon's market share is predicted to fall to 34% over the next 4 years.

That 34% would still make Amazon the single largest eBook provider more than likely, with the other 66% split between the myriad of other companies like Barnes and Noble, Borders, Apple, Fictionwise, and the many independent sellers, but most those either support ePub as an option, or have standardized on it.

I do think providing a link to a free conversion program such as MobiPocket Desktop, or Calibre is a great idea, and I will be adding that information to the TGF FAQ shortly.

Thank you for the comment, as I can only keep growing the site with continued feedback.

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF/PT

"Science is just magic with an explanation, and bumblebees are just tiny little fairies in disguise. :)" Submitted by Erin on Sun, 2010/04/04 - 6:37pm.

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks