Just curious...

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

How many other writers here find themselves engrossed in their own stories? What I mean is, I was re-reading parts of Kittyhawk to refresh my memory about a few things, and ended up reading the whole thing because I was enjoying it so much! This isn't the first time this has happened to me and I was wondering if other writers have, too? I just think it's kind of weird to get that involved in something I wrote.

Saless

Always

Yes, I always get involved with my own stories when I re-read them. It's because I write what I like. There are no compromises to my tastes in my own writing.

Mr. Ram

Me Too!

Like Mr. Ram said. I write the stuff I want to read. One of the reasons I write is because I can't find enough of the stories I want to read, so I have to write them myself.

hugs!
Grover

I do, sometimes

Particularly if something has been left for a while, I need to re-read in order to get the 'world' straight in my head, and to remember everyone, and who did what to whom (and with what!).

However, sometimes I pick back through a story and start reading, and I wonder how I ever did it. Sometimes I am amazed that I ever wrote such things. Of course it's a good read, because I always know it's going to work out well in the end!

Penny

Umm...

No... I guess I don't write that well. If I do re-read, I find myself "editing" yet again, and again and again... But then, I don't re-read MOST things I've read (except when editing) as I remember it too well to get so much enjoyment out of it the second time. I generally have to wait a decade or more before I can get as much enjoyment out of a story.

But then, I'm strange anyway, so this is probably not too surprising.

Annette

I do this very same thing.

In fact, there have been times when I've gone in to fix some grammatical or typographical silliness, and
wound up not only reading the things, but even voting for it when I got to the end. I'm sure that it
has a lot to do with what Mr. Ram said. There are few compromises in the stories that you write which were
they present would take away from the whole.

For me, though, I think it's even a little more than that. For me, the stories fall somewhere between a
dream and a daydream, or between a hope and prayer. I'm sure, that on some scale of maturity, somewhere,
this must fall in at about the range of a friendly but not too bright puppy making faces at itself in a
mirror - but there is no denying that the fascination with the characters who seem so comfortingly close,
and with the places or venues that seem so comfortingly familiar.

Sarah Lynn

Yep, me too

I reread some of mine too. One of the hazzards though is that you might want to rewrite a story like I'm doing, Don't fall into that trap, move on and enjoy what you read, Arecee

Sometimes

I re-read my old stories, but mainly so as to try and get some inspiration for finishing the new ones. It rarely works.

I frequently re-read other people's stories though; I have my favourite authors and I've often got my head stuck into a ....

Susie

i am glad

that I am not the only one who does this. I have avoided voting for myself, so far.

DogSig.png

If not me, then who?

If I didn't read them, they would get all lonely and sad.

(some make me wince; some still make me, even if only me, smile.)

heh

And I thought I was the only one.

Well, besides Asimov, anyhow. I recall reading one of his prefaces where he admitted to getting engrossed in his own story as he was refamiliarizing himself so that he could do a long-awaited (like, decades) sequel.

So I guess we're not crazy, after all... or, maybe all authors are crazy. Don't ask me to figure it out.

Ongoing stories

shiraz's picture

I've started having another look at Eve, I have several reasons for doing so, firstly I feel a little spruce up & re-edit wouldn't go amiss for the story.

Secondly, If I'm going to write Eve2 then I need to recall the characters amd the story direction before starting afresh.

Topsy
Mostly Harmless

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png