Elmore Leonard's Ten Rules of Writing

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Here's a little something I stumbled across surfing today. It is a bit depressing to realize just how many of them I break when I write, even though I have seen them all before from others. Still they are some simple basic guidelines.

http://www.elmoreleonard.com/index.php?/forums/viewthread/20

Scott

Breaking the rules

erin's picture

Those are excellent. If you are a writer and break any of those rules, know that you are doing it and know why. Notice that he gives exceptions to almost all of them because writing is like that and Elmore Leonard is nothing if not exceptional.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Another word to cherish!

The rules make sense to me, and, if I can recall them, may even moderate my own excesses occasionally.

What really excites and delights me though is the discovery of the word 'hooptedoodle'! Where has it been all my life? What a sheltered existence I have been leading! All has been a preparation leading to this moment.

At last I have an aim in lfe. To introduce 'hooptedoodle' into conversation in an easy, unstudied, natural way. In an offhand sort of 'it's-just-a-little-thing-I-picked-up' sort of way.

I would dearly love to introduce it into some of my deathless prose but I just haven't the courage, nor, I fear, the skill.

But .... Perhaps .... Well .... Maybe one day! No one can sue you for a broken dream.

Fleurie.

P.S Sorry about the excessive ! s. Bloody Rules!

Fleurie

Breaking the rules

I remember a long time ago arguing with my art teacher about having to learn to draw realisticly. I didn't like the idea of having a bunch of rules interfering with my creativity. I saw myself as a rouge artist tromping through uncharted lands where no rules could follow. That's when she explained to me that in order to well and truely break the rules, I first needed to understand them.

At first, I thought she was just saying that to keep me quiet so she could continue with her lesson plan. But as time went on, I discovered truth in those words. I think the same thing can be said about writing. Breaking the rules isn't a bad thing. But if you really wanna break 'em good and hard, know what the rules are so you can break 'em with style. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure