Freya's Heir Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Freya's Heir

DISCLAIMER: I am not a canon author.

Chapter 10
On Monday they dressed in slacks and shirts with full sleeves and brought a jacket along to the airport.

"Are we taking the armored limo?" Fred asked.

Security chief Rodriguez said, "Yes, ma'am. We are also sending four guards in front of you in an armored SUV. There will be another SUV and another limo waiting at the Berlin airport."

"Thank you," Fred said. "Any more protesters?"

"None so far today but you never know," Rodriguez said. "Now that people know three mutants live here we'll need to be more careful."

The trip to the airport was uneventful, thankfully and although the TSA and MCO at the gate looked sour at the group they said nothing except to direct them through the scanner and then wave them onto the plane. Once they landed they got into the cars waiting outside and drove to the store in Dunwich. Cecilia Rogers was waiting for them when they arrived.

"The four of you can wait outside," Fred said to the four male guards. "That way we'll not worry the owner and have more room to shop." She was also thinking that she didn't want them watching her pick out lingerie or have to worry about changing room doors.

"Yes, Ma'am," the men said and moved to either side of the door facing out.

Sally entered first, followed by Fred, then Brita last.

"Hello, I am Cecilia Rogers and you have my sole attention until you are done," said a woman who seemed around thirty years old and quite pretty. She came forward to shake their hands. "It is rare that someone gets three whole wardrobes from me but I am happy to accommodate you. You are certainly paying me enough."

"A pleasure to meet you Ms. Rogers," Fred said. "We need five uniforms for each of the three of us and I believe you said you had fabrics that are both heat resistant up to five hundred degrees and count as at least light armor?"

"Yes, I do," Ms. Rogers said. "If you aren't talking about anything over .38 caliber I believe I can accommodate any style you might like."

Fred smiled, "Good! We are all Exemplars with levels between three and five and still getting used to our strength. Brita has gotten much better at controlling her heat and fire manifesting but is still occasionally surrounded by heat in the four hundreds fahrenheit. So what do you suggest?"

Ms. Rogers smiled, "Well first let's get your measurements. Will one of you please step through that door and follow the instructions?"

The three looked at each other as Cecilia went to grab a bolt of her silkiest heat resistant fabric. Sally eventually shrugged and went in. Once she had closed the door a drawer popped out with a sign over it, "Please place everything you are wearing inside then stand where indicated for scanning." She did so then closed her eyes as bright lights traced her body from head to foot. After the lights were done the drawer came back and the sign said, "You may now dress and leave the room."

When Sally came out she saw that one of the dressmaker's dummies now looked like a statue of her from the neck down, a naked statue. She rolled her eyes when she saw Brita smirking at her, "Good thing we left the guards outside."

"Yes," Brita agreed. "So aside from five uniforms, what do you want?"

"What do the uniforms look like anyway?" Sally asked.

Ms. Rogers gestured and cloth swathed the mannikin and shortly it was wearing a white button down blouse, pleated skirt and a jacket, "The uniform for girls officially includes a skirt not pants but most girls wear pants from November to March anyway and some do it all year long. I haven't heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. There are too many students that need special exceptions for the administration to be too strict about dress code."

"I think I want five sets of pants to go with the uniforms," Fred said. "I will wear skirts sometimes but I want the choice."

Cecilia made a note, "And the rest of you?"

"Can you make heat resistant socks and shoes as well?" Brita asked. "If I don't have to worry about igniting my clothes then I can keep myself warm through any natural winter without hiding under layers."

"I can," Ms. Rogers said. "However if you have trouble turning off the heat you might have trouble when entering buildings. Even if you don't get pants to wear with your uniform I would suggest coats, caps, and boots for you anyway. If for no other reason than to keep you from being soaked in melted snow."

"Good point," Brita said. "Besides, we're shopping for Sally just now. She is Ex-5 and occasionally rips clothes accidentally so she needs sturdy stuff."

"I only did that twice," Sally said.

"So far," Brita added.

"I can accommodate that easily since what makes them armored makes them resistant to tearing and wear," Ms Rogers said. She took the uniform off the mannikin and held it out, "Why don't you try this on dear and see if it fits."

Sally took the clothes to a changing room in the back and soon came out in it.

"You look lovely Sally," Fred said.

"I agree," Brita said. "You make it look sexy."

Sally blushed, "Thank you. It fits fine Ms. Rogers. Can I get five white sports bras and panty sets as well as socks and some sturdy winter boots?"

"Easily dear," Cecilia said and made a note. "Do you want pants as well?"

"Yes," Sally said. "I agree with Fred. I want the option."

Cecilia made another note then gestured to a wall of the store, "Find a design of boot you like and bring it over. I will make a copy in sturdier material." As Sally looked over footwear she said, "Who's next for fitting?"

Brita nudged Fred who shrugged and said, "I am, I guess."

When Fred came out one of the mannikins looked like a duplicate of her. It was soon covered in a uniform and Fred frowned, she had refrained from wearing skirts so far but knew she could not do so forever so she said nothing.

"Does it look alright?" Ms. Rogers said. Having noticed the brief frown she wanted to be sure her client was happy.

"Yes, ma'am," Fred said. "I just am a definite tomboy so the frown was at the idea of not wearing unisex clothes as much."

Cecilia smiled, "I understand. You can wear what you like on weekends and in your dorm I'm told so it won't be too terrible."

Fred smiled, "Yes, I'll just go try that on. Can you do a set of the pants for me to try while I go try these on?"

"Certainly," Ms. Rogers said.

When Fred came out in the uniform Brita whistled, "Looking good Frederica! Seems a shame to cover up those legs."

Fred rolled her eyes, "Thank you. But I think I'll do it anyway." She took the slacks from Ms. Rogers and changed into them. "These fit as well," she said.

"Very good," said Ms. Rogers. "Why don't you go and join your friend in selecting a boot style while Brita gets measured?"

Sally nodded, "It's your turn Brita."

Brita started to ask a question then smirked and went into the measuring booth. By the time she was back out both Fred and Sally were holding up Wellington style boots and the third manikin was looking like Brita.

Ms. Rogers gestured and underwear draped the mannikin from a different bolt of cloth before the uniform covered it, "Since yours needs to be heat resistant you'll need to change your underwear as well to test it."

"Darn," Brita said. "There goes my chance to tease Fred and Sally by saying I had to go commando."

Fred laughed and Sally said, "Stop being a perv and go try on your clothes."

Brita laughed, "Sure." She took the pile of clothing from Cecilia and went to change.

"We can probably get along with normal coats etc. but she'll need full outerwear," Fred said. "Can you do sweaters and knit caps and winter coats?"

"Certainly," Ms. Rogers said. "Let me just make a note of that as well as the style of boots you've picked."

When Brita came out both Fred and Sally clapped and she bowed, "It all fits well." She concentrated briefly and they could feel the edges of the heat around her. Then the heat died away and Brita said, "It passed the heating test as well." When they told her she had to pick some sweater styles as well as boots she said, "Fred should get some ballistic weave sweaters as well. Give her time to get a protective spell off before she gets hurt."

Sally said, "Good idea. While Brita picks her stuff you can look around and decide what you want for outerwear."

"If I have to then so do you," Fred said.

"Fine," Sally said. "Let's all pick out stuff. Just don't tell me how much you're spending on me. I want to sleep well tonight."

They left in their uniforms with Fred wearing the pants and Sally said, "The locals have noticed our uniforms. I guess they know which school it's from."

Fred said, "That makes sense. I doubt they'll cause any trouble."

Brita laughed, "Not if they recognize the uniforms." She added, "Are we going to have to come and get the rest some other time?"

"No," Fred said. "Ms. Rogers will send everything else to the estate."

Soon they were back at the Berlin airport and not long after that they were back in Florida and heading home.

Fred's father Robert was waiting for them when they got out of the limo, "We got everything we needed Father," Fred said. "Most of it is being shipped by special courier."

"She sent it by warper so it arrived before you did," Robert said. "I had the servant pile everything in your room Fred. You can divide it up amongst yourselves later."

Sally said, "I made sure Fred's clothes can stand up to at least a thirty eight caliber bullet and are sturdy enough to resist her increased strength. She insisted that I get the same."

Robert smiled, "That is good. I'm glad to see that some of my lessons on how to be a good employer stayed with him."

Brita said, "Fred is a wonderful person and more considerate than most adults. Thanks to you and her I can now mostly control my powers and soon I'm sure I will master them. If I slip anyway I don't burn my clothes off any more! These are heat resistant up to five hundred degrees as well as being sturdy and bullet resistant. Watch!" She concentrated and heat bloomed around her. Her hair moved in the hot updraft caused by her power and the skirt billowed as if in a wind.

Robert walked up close enough to feel the heat pouring off her, "That's an amazing material. You say it's also bullet resistant?"

"They are all supposed to be," Fred said. "We can check that if the rest of the clothes have arrived. We'll put a sweater on that statue you hate, the one you received for Christmas, and shoot at it with light pistols."

Robert smiled, "Good idea! We can check the clothing and your accuracy at the same time."

Fred rolled her eyes but nodded, "Sure, dad."

Soon everything was assembled and the only hitch was picking the sweater, "Don't use that one," Brita said. "Pick the ugly one."

Fred shrugged, "You choose then."

So now the statue stood at the end of a target lane and had a blouse buttoned around it followed by a plain gray sweater.

Fred stood at the front of the lane with a .22 target pistol and fired three bullets at the chest of the statue.

When they all went to check they found that none of them had penetrated, just left smears of lead behind.

"You would still be bruised by these impacts," Robert said. "But you would survive them. Hopefully none of you will need it but it makes me feel better."

"I'm sure Fred will learn many defensive spells in his four years," Sally said. "And he'll have us protecting her." She blushed, "I mean she'll have us."

"We'll all learn a lot I'm sure," Brita said. "As a wizard she'll be able to deal with a wide variety of problems and we'll give her the time she needs to cast spells."

"That's for after graduation though," Sally said. "Whateley isn't that dangerous unless you go looking for trouble and Fred has too much sense for that."

"Good to hear," Robert said. "I'll let you put away all the clothes you bought now. I must say I'm very impressed. I might go get a suit or two made by that woman, she does very good work." Robert looked at the sweater again and then walked off.

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

bullet proof clothes

why do I have the feeling they are going to be grateful for the armor in the clothes at some point?

DogSig.png

Whateley

Because it is Whateley and stories are predictable if there is no trouble.

Probably

If nothing else they'll be glad for clothes that don't rip easily or burn easily.

New walking targets

These 3 will be seen as a serious threat by a lot of the groups/teams.

alissa

I'm sure they'll make friends

They'll be in Poe so hopefully the other residents will look out for them.

Fire resistant clothes

Damn, no more instant strip shows. :-p

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Thanks!

I'm glad you liked it!