The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.10 - Apologies

Printer-friendly version
price_to_pay.jpg
          

"Hey, girls, ready for the show?" asked Meryl who just joined us.

"Hi Meryl, to be honest I'm a bit nervous about going in," I said.

"Come on let's go in and get the best seats," she responded as she opened the door into the empty lab.

The Price to Pay - Vol. 4.10 - Apologies

by Alys


Part 4.10
 

My heart was thumping as I made my way along the corridor.

I stopped outside the lab and waited. The moment that I had never expected had arrived, and I had arrived early to the lesson to savour the experience.

"Hey Celyn, you're keen," said Sioned, who had arrived a few seconds after me.

"To be honest I'm a bit nervous about all this," I said as I took some slow deep breaths to try and calm myself. I had had a mixture of feelings since I received my copy of the letter from the headteacher, to all the pupils doing A' level Biology, for them to turn up at the lab to meet the Head of Biology and Franklinstein.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," reassured Sioned," I'm looking forward to seeing Franklin grovel. Oh what's with the trousers? That's not your usual look"

"I've still got the bandage on my knee from Monday," I replied, "luckily it's mostly the carpet burn that's sore, there's hardly any bruising now"

I thought how disappointed my Mother had been these last couple of days that I had worn trousers rather than a skirt to school. She seemed to think that unless I looked as girly as possible going to school it might somehow lead people to question my gender.

"Hey, girls, ready for the show?" asked Meryl who just joined us.

"Hi Meryl, to be honest I'm a bit nervous about going in," I said.

"Come on let's go in and get the best seats," she responded as she opened the door into the empty lab.

As we walked in the bell for the lesson changeover rang and the corridor behind us rapidly filled with pupils of all shapes and sizes navigating their way to their next room. We sat at a bench in halfway down the length of the lab with some other members of the class. Within a minute or so the rest of the class had come in and found places to sit.

There was a feeling of expectation, excitement tempered by nervousness. It felt a bit like waiting for the results of an exam that you know that you have done well in. You are pretty certain of good news but there is always the chance that something unexpected will happen.

"Where do you think Franklinstein is?" asked Sioned, " he is usually here before us"

"This is really weird," Meryl replied," do you think he's bottled out?"

The buzz of conversation increased in volume as we waited for the arrival of the teacher at the centre of the whole dispute, and discussed the possible reasons for his tardiness.

"Here he is," hissed Sioned, nodding her head towards our Biology teacher entering the classroom from the entrance to the corridor rather than from the prep. room in the back.

The conversation stopped as we all looked up to see Mr Franklin, looking rather ashen faced, make his way towards the teachers' desk at the front of the room. Our surprise at this unusual beginning to the lesson was heightened further by the arrival of the Head of Biology, Mr Jones. He walked over to stand next to where Franklinstein was sitting. He looked at all of us and coughed to clear his throat.

"Thank you everyone for coming so promptly to this meeting. I hope we will be able to put the misunderstanding behind us and move on to ensure the success of all of you in the Biology course. But before I say anything else, Mr Franklin would like to say something"

Mr Jones turned towards his colleague, who was holding a piece of paper with print on it.

"I would like to firstly apologise to Celyn Morus," he began quite hesitantly," for my comments about people who, for whatever reason, are diverse in their bodily gender or gender presentation. My remarks were clearly hurtful to you, Celyn, so please accept this public apology. I would also like to apologise to the rest of you for any offence I may have caused to you"

At that point he stood up and, holding onto his piece of paper with the preprepared comments on it, he walked out of the classroom without another word.

We are all stunned and no one said a word. There was complete silence in the room as we struggled to come to terms with not only the contents of Franklinstein's apology but also the theatricality of the event.

"I would also like to add the apology of the Biology department as a whole," said Mr Jones, finally interrupting the stunned silence,"and I would like you, Celyn, to accept this small gift as some recompense for the hurt you have suffered"

He strode forward with a small packet, neatly wrapped with my name on it, and handed it to me.

"I have one other thing to say to you before I end this meeting," he continued," since I'm sure that most of you will find it hard to concentrate on the mundane details of the Biology course at the moment"

We all stared at him, wondering what other amazing things could happen in this room.

"Mr Franklin has made a mistake and has apologised for it and will be helped by the school with a retraining course to improve his understanding of gender issues. Under the circumstances I have decided, in consultation with the headteacher and the rest of the Science department that Mr Franklin will no longer be taking this class.

I mouthed a 'wow' to Meryl, as Mr Jones paused to take a sip of water from the glass on the desk to his side.

"I feel that in order for you all to get the standard of education that you all deserve that I will take this class from now on. There will be one problem in that for one of your periods I am taking the upper sixth class, which would normally be a problem. But we should be able to re-arrange your practical sessions for that period."

The rest of what Jonesy said was a blur of sounds as I took in the significance of what had happened in five short minutes. Our little protest had resulted in a complete victory. Mr Jones finished his announcements, I caught something about reading the next chapter, on Mitosis and Meiosis, by the next lesson and then he had gone.

"We did it!," said Sioned, before launching herself at me to give me a hug.

"We made him eat his words," said Meryl as she put her arm around me," he won't pick on anyone else for a long time"

Others in the class offered their congratulations and everyone began to drift out, still marvelling at what they had just observed.

"Before you all go," I said standing up off my chair to get everyone's attention, " thanks for supporting me. As you all know I didn't chose to be as I am and like many other people, who have life changing experiences, I have to make the best of my circumstances. Sometimes it's so hard.......so thanks for everything"

I felt tears welling up but also the comforting closeness of Sioned and Meryl, my best friends next to me, supporting me, as I would to them if they ever needed me.


To Be Continued...

 
End of Part 4.10

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

WOW!! Great Chapter Alys!!

It was wonderful to see this chapter and what happened. Celyn Morus made a very moving speech and I could easily picture her emotions as she relived the events that brought her to life. Now, I wonder about those cads that tripped her in the last chapter and Seren. It will be great to see these two issues resolved and how she handles playing with the team.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Reluctant Groveller

Well, all I can say is “It serves the b*st*rd right!” Sorry if that is unladylike, but as parent of a GID child, I feel strongly on the subject and am constantly on the lookout for anyone who might say or do something hurtful to my child. It would have been more convincing if Mr Franklin had spoken ad-lib rather than reading it from a piece of paper, as that might have showed that he meant what he was saying.

Well written, Alys. Thank you,

Hugs,

Hilary

But what about the assault?

Don't tell me that has all been brushed under the rug and ignored? I've always had a problem with the idea of a "hate crime", it always seemd to me that committing a criminal act against another involves some form of hate to begin with. But what happened to Celyn was as clear an example of a hate crime as I can think of. Not the worst, just clear-cut.

I'm not surprised Franklin read his statement, it may very well be that he was required to say certain things by the school and nothing else. It's a matter of limiting liability.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

What's in the box?

Does the Bio head thing a forced and horribly unconvincing appology plus a cheap trinket make up for Frankenstein deliberately disparaging her multiple times, grading her papers unfairly and directly or indirectly encouragining assualts on her and the younger TG child? What of the students who lied about the first "freaks" incident in the class? They have yet to be punished or appologuise. For a *no tolerance* of discrimination policy it sure tolerates a lot of crap.

Actually I disaprove of zero tolerrance as it is counterproductive and stiffles debate but violence is clearly something to be discouraged severely. So far I don't see that at this school. The next time it could be Celyn being tripped on the stairs with a broken limb and even paralyses the outcome. Maybe the head needs another manditory assembly were this is all explained again and this time it is enforced.

Frankenstein didn't even give her the chamce to say "appology acepted" or, "that doesn't sound sincere but for the sake of ending this I will accept it." And so far none of the people who asaulted her or that boy have been expelled or arrested. The Head still owes her and particualrly her parents and friends an appology for what she said in that first private meeting. This is much better but still smells of locking the barn after the horses have escaped.

Unless that trinket also contains her restoreds true grades, a letter of recomemdation sighned by the eitier bio department and the names of her assalatants and what figurative pikes their heads are on it's a pretty shabby gesture..

She and her friends are making progress but a battle is not the war. I still wonder what her former almost female lover meant earlier? Is she sexually attracted to her former boyfriend?

Lots of fun loose ends to tie up.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I'm Suspicious

joannebarbarella's picture

A complete victory partway through the story? No! Alys has another shock in store for us trusting souls out here I'm sure. Nevertheless, a vindication for Celyn at this stage, and I'm happy for our heroine,
Joanne

Indeed

There's another shoe out there, ready to drop.

That was one very humiliated Franklinstein, shaking with repressed hatred. And, he never struck me as particularly rational to start with. Picture a ticking bomb with a very short fuse. As long as I'm dispensing metaphors, the phrase "going postal" comes to mind. Even though it's a bit difficult to come by handguns in the UK, I'm expecting an attempt at some form of deadly force.

Nice...

... It's nice that Mr. Franklin will get the help he so obviously needs. And sounds like he also recognizes this. (Apparently I saw something different in the shaking than everyone else. Perhaps I really am clueless. *sighs*)

I wonder what was missed by Celyn (what Mr. Jones was saying) that will eventualy come back to haunt her. Hopefully nothing, but you never know...

Thanks,

Annette