Crown or Tiara Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

... Queen Windi Festilla, Countess of Baretha, was not born with royal blood. Her ancestors, the famed sages from the east, gained their title through sheer force of will and great determination. The most significant of these was the Battle of Shattered Plains, which facilitated the end of the War of Holy Blood. The Battle of Shattered Plains had become a textbook case of how alchemical potions can win a battle and is taught in most military schools throughout Sidar, including in Orin, whose soldiers was on the receiving end of this formidable tactic. Hundreds of Thunderbolt and Darkness potions were thrown or planted indiscriminately on the battlefield, trapping those Orinians foolish or brave enough to march forward. Although reputedly exaggerated, records mentioned that only 26 out of 31 Arnan family members died and 237 militias fell or went missing. At the same time, Orinian casualty was estimated at over 3000 soldiers and officers, either cause by Thunderbolt potions or arrows treated with Trueflight...

Crown or Tiara
Chapter 4


By Shinieris


 

Queen Windi Festilla Talranic, born Windi Festilla Arnan (Summer 1407AF - ?) was a queen loved by her people. After her husband's death in the War of Contested Forest, she took over the reins of the government and declared herself Queen Regent of the kingdom.

Queen Windi Festilla, Countess of Baretha, was not born with a royal blood. Her ancestors, the famed sages from the east, gained their title through sheer force of will and great determination. The most significant of these was the Battle of Shattered Plains, which facilitated the end of the War of Holy Blood. The Battle of Shattered Plains had become a textbook case of how alchemical potions can win a battle and is taught in most military schools throughout Sidar, including in Orin, whose soldiers was on the receiving end of this formidable tactic. Hundreds of Thunderbolt and Darkness potions were planted indiscriminately on the battlefield, trapping those Orinians foolish or brave enough to march forward. Although reputedly exaggerated, records mentioned that only 26 out of 31 Arnan family members died and 237 militias fell or went missing. At the same time, Orinian casualty was estimated at over 3000 soldiers and officers, either cause by Thunderbolt potions or arrows treated with Trueflight.

Perhaps the most astonishing fact about the Arnan family was their choice of fief granted to them. Instead of the common choice of ruling over a fertile valley or a prosperous port country, the Arnans chose the cracked and ravaged land of Baretha, where the Battle of Shattered Plains took place.

Baretha was a land of volcanoes, deep mines, flowing lava and all sorts of nasty things. Plant-life and fauna are rare and sparse, while those that do grow in Baretha, covering only the southern part of the fief, was very strong and resistant to heat. Each of these plantlife could also withstand direct flames and as such are near impossible to set on fire. Barethan oak timbers were much in demand as lacquerware, light shields, light armor and fire-resistant doors. Despite that, however, Barethan oak aren't the county's biggest export. It was actually the sale of alchemical potions and ingredients that make up the bulk of the county's economy.

Excerpt from 'Queen Windi Talranic and the Arnans: The Queen That Wasn't Royal and Outsiders That Became Nobles' by Adrinn Erethis.

-----

The boy grabbed his tunic and put it on. He couldn't sleep much last night and had woken up early this morning.. His hair was a rather long golden blonde, and he was at this moment, tying it in a tight ponytail behind his head.

A knock on the door and a maid came into the room. When she saw the boy, she was horrified. "What are you trying to do, Princ-"

"Say my name and you'll be executed tomorrow. It's been so long since I'm out. I'm just going to attend the welcoming ceremony anyway."

"But, Princ-"

"Do I have to repeat myself, lady? Want to die before getting married?"

"Oooh! Do it your way, then, oh Royal Prince!" the maid said as she stormed off.

The prince calmly put on a velvet vest on his body while wondering aloud, "What wrong with her?"

-----

Prince Fridrick stood on the rooftop of the Imperial Palace, looking down at the gateway connecting the palace complex with the rest of the city. From afar, he could still hear the sound of firecrackers going off and could even see firecrackers that shot up to the air and bloomed like flowers in the sky. Even though the crown prince was no longer there, citizens still celebrated, with songs, drums and more firecrackers.

No such luck here. The prince thought as he looked at the dignified nobles and palace servants, who stood erect and proud along the main palace road connecting the front gate to the Imperial Palace. There was not a single sound to be heard. If he didn't know better, he would say that he was at a funeral.

The sudden sounding of horns, followed by a tune of trumpets and drums from the palace musicians startled him. As with everyone, he craned his neck trying to see the crown prince, who had just arrived at the palace gate. There was nothing to see, at least not yet, as the prince was still riding under the portcullis and would not be seen from above until he rode a 20 feet further in.

Then the trumpets and drums changed tune. Instead of the 'Welcome Tune 22' just now, they now played 'Wise Heroic King' which was only played upon the king's arrival.

Heh! Already a king now, huh? He thought as rows upon rows of the crown prince's escort marched in ahead of the prince.

It wasn't long before the crown prince himself march through the front gate and into the palace compound. The palace servants stood in front and bowed to the prince, as he rode pass, while the nobles, who stood farther along the palace road clapped their hands and and threw petals to the crown prince and his escorts. Despite looking refined and composed, the crown prince couldn't help himself from waving back at the people he passed by. Prince Fridrick on the other hand, couldn't help but push himself forward so he could see the brother he hadn't seen since he was 6.

He noted that the crown prince looked magnificent, riding in his pale horse, that looked even more magnificent than his escorts. He was clad in a resplendent ceremonial robe, made of white velvet, laced with gold and silver threads, decorated with jewels of all color on the shoulders and the chest. He radiants in the afternoon sun, the sunshine reflect by the jewels on his robe and horse made him look like the god Rorvik coming home after banishing the dark god Vastramach.

Prince Fridrick saw his brother dismount as he neared the steps leading to the Imperial Palace. He saw his brother climbed the long steps, never once showing any signs of fatigue. Prince Fridrick, having been living in the palace since he was born, knew that there was actually another entrance on the side, one with flatter slope which allows one to ride a horse directly into the Imperial Palace. He understood however that formal functions require an amount of elegance, amply provided by the main steps that was lined with silver and gold, flanked on both sides by tall vayl columns with the flags of every noble family in Granvayl in between each.

Awaiting the crown prince's arrival at the top of the steps, were the Favored Prince and his retinue of noblemen and government officials. Prince Fridrick noted the tense expression on Prince Altherion's face, probably wondering the same thing he did. How had Mikhal changed?"

"Greetings, my royal brother," Prince Mihalir said, his voice loud and clear even to Prince Fridrick on the rooftop, "It is good to see you safe and sound. Favored Brother. Tell me, how has the kingdom been in my absence?"

The Favored Prince, Prince Altherion nodded slightly, "The kingdom is doing well, Crown Brother, but we can definitely benefit from your enlightened wisdom," Prince Altherion said as he dropped to one knee, followed by the noblemen and government officials.

"Pray rise, my Favored Brother and all the loyal subjects of Granvayl," he said, "should we proceed to the king's study?"

"Thank you, Crown Brother, you are most kind," he said as before he moved to stand up.

The crown prince studied each of the faces in front of him. He creased his brows before saying, "Favored Brother, would you tell me which of them is Prince Fridrick? I must confess, I have..." he trailed off the moment he saw odd looks and whispers among the noble and how his brother rolled his eyes skyward.

He squinted his eyes at his brother. "Has something happened to Frid, Therion? Something you don't want to tell me?"

"No! Nothing's wrong with him-"

"FRID!" the crown prince shouted from the top of his lungs, his voice, loud and commanding, spread and reverberated across the palace compound, "By my right as your future king, I command you to appear NOW!"

"Please, Mikhal, not here," Prince Altherion pulled on Prince Mikhalir's arm, "This is not the place or time, I'll explain when we're inside."

The crown prince turned back towards his brother. "You better do so, Favored Brother, or you will find that even royalties can be punished," he paused and his next word made Prince Altherion's heart stop, "Severely."

"I shall accept whatever punishment you deem necessary, Crown Brother, but please, let me explain first," Prince Altherion said as he gestured the crown prince inside.

Prince Frid gasped loudly when he fell on his bottom while hiding behind the gargoyle on the roof. He almost had a heart attack when his brother called his name so loudly. Then he made a smile, as it made him recall how his brother was like before he left for Lestraux.

Mikhal always liked me best. Even when he had lessons all day, he would find time to play with me. I think if he becomes king, with Therion by his side, the palace would have been a great place to live in, he thought as he closed his eyes and was about to doze off when a familiar voice brought him back to consciousness.

"Good day, Your Highness. That really was something, yes?" said a handsome young man, wearing iron breastplate and tabard with the House of Hestor coat of arms.

"What do you want?" he said with disdain while watching the lordling with an open eye.

"Sir Telvian, Your Highness, son of Lord Merrick of Rhatican," he said as he bowed his head, "I know you don't know me, but I must ask you something, Your Highness."

Of course I know you, the prince thought, You're the one who kept hounding Feska!

"Ask then," he closed his eyes again. He knew he shouldn't be mad at this man. Afterall, it was this man and his father that rallied the king's scattered militias and soldiers after the disaster that killed the king. By doing so, they prevented Rhatican from being taken over by the H'loren elves at the end of the War of Contested Forest. At that time, this man standing in front of him was only 14 and already fighting in the front lines, at a time when he was only a child bored in class.

"Have you seen Princess Feska, Your Highness? I have an urgent matter that needs to be discussed with the Favored Princess."

If this is about getting Feska to go to his family's home again, I'm going to throw up, the prince thought. Prince Fridrick knows he shouldn't get mad at this man, but he found it very hard to control himself from drawing steel and shoving it into this man's stomache. He can be so annoying.

Without opening his eyes, the prince said, "Yes, I just saw her going to the Forbidden Garden just now."

"Thank you, thank you so much, Your Highness," he said as he left in a hurry.

He grinned. Heh! What a fool. There's a reason it's called Forbidden Garden.

"Are you sure Feska's in the Forbidden Garden, Frid?"

Prince Fridrick opened both eyes as his two brothers walked towards him.

"Yes," he replied, "I saw her going there with Lady Frenia."

Prince Altherion creased his brows, an indication of disbelieve, coming from him, "That's strange, because we just walked past Lady Frenia in the hallway. She was walking in the opposite direction."

"Ah! Feska must have ditched her when she went to play. Not my problem. Though why are you both here? It's a long way to walk."

"Obviously because Mikhal wants to see you," Prince Altherion huffed.

"Right, because you just loved visiting me everyday."

"It's NOT my fault that you shut yourself in your room all day, every day. Whenever I went to visit, your attendant won't let me in, even on pains of death."

"Therion, please," Prince Mikhalir said as he stepped forward.

"And what, pray tell, would my celebrated Crown Brother wish to see me for?"

"Frid, it's been a long time," he said gently, before pouncing on his brother like a man possessed.

"Eeek!" squealed Prince Fridrick as the crown prince tackled him to the floor while hugging him tightly.

"Ahh, little brother, such a long time, and not a single hug for your beloved brother? Oh my, you're still as cute and as soft as the day I left," he said to his brother, whose head only reached his broad chest.

"Let go of me, you pervert brother!" Prince Fridrick said as he pushed the crown prince away with all his might. He had forgotten that his brother was very physical when they were younger.

Actually, he may not even be able to push his much bigger brother, if not for the sudden help from Prince Altherion, who was pulling his brother's mantle with one hand. "Please behave yourself, brother. You're not a child anymore and we're in a public place," he said.

"Hahaha," Prince Mikhalir laughed as he rubbed the place on his stomache that his little brother pushed, "What's wrong? You used to love cuddling."

"Lies! I never did such things!" Prince Fridrick said as he put his palms on his ears.

"Actually, I do remember that happening, a lot," Prince Altherion said.

"LIES!!!" Prince Fridrick cried. He ran down the stairway with his palms still on his ears.

Prince Mikhalir asked once he stopped laughing, "Before I forgot, who's Feska?"

Prince Altherion blanched at that question. "Errr..."

*Comments and feedbacks are always appreciated. Please feel free to say you like it or not, or your suspicions to the future of the story.

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Crown or Tiara Chapter 4

So, a pervert Prince who bullies his smaller brother. Shows that he will not be a good ruler.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well...

shiinaai's picture

He probably will not. He has been away for a long time after all.

I sense-

-there is something else going on here. Did someone decree that Frid become Feska? If so why? From all we've been given to see, there is nothing indicating Frid wants this. If anything he is fighting this tooth and nail. So what gives?

hugs
Grover

what gives, indeed

I'm still confused as to whats going on here.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Somethings gives...

shiinaai's picture

...eventually :D

Unfortunately, my crystal ball tells me that the explanation won't come so soon since i'm not such a nice person, to make things easy :P

You may

shiinaai's picture

be on to something there. Since Frid doesn't want Feska, so is there another reason why Feska exists? Of course, I'm not gonna tell now :P

I wonder...

We've concentrated on Princess Feska previously, and now are dealing with Prince Friderick. Given that Friska was supposed to attend the welcoming ceremony but hasn't, Friderich wasn't supposed to attend but now is, and the interrupted announcements at the start of this chapter, I'm starting to form a hypothesis, which also ties in to a literal reading of your comment from Chapter 2:

"Oh no, Fridrich is indeed the queen's son, as is Feska. However... "

Are we really talking about two separate characters here? :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

In a way,

shiinaai's picture

Both you and Grover got it right. But of course, how can they be the same person when they're two separate characters? Please keep on reading to find out more :D

Great story... I guess

Great story...

I guess Friedrich is Feska and for some reason the queen wants the prince to be a girl, but he doesn't really want to.

Hm maybe he's under somekind of curse or spell so he'll transform into feska or at least won't get male features.

Thank you for writing,

Beyogi

Thanks

shiinaai's picture

Transformation is very likely to happen.

Thanks for reading.

Mysterious

terrynaut's picture

I like a little mystery in the stories I read. This one has a nice mystery going. It would appear that Frid and Feska are the same person. And if that's true, I'd say that Feska exists because Frid is TG. Duh!

Even if I'm wrong, I'll still continue to read this delightful story.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Toxic alchemical dump?

In the spirit that nothing unneeded be a part of a story, I wondered if the Queen's origins from Baretha is a part of this puzzle. The background here did mention the many alchemical compounds manufactured there. Is Fird intersexed and the Queen decided it best her child be raised as Princess Feska?

Whatever the reason Fird is not cooperating.

hugs
Grover

I like that

shiinaai's picture

I'm going to use that term in the future. Thanks :D

You are not a very nice

You are not a very nice person. :)

But we don't hold it aganist you.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!