Studying for my GSC

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Jamie is just your average kid about to start at Pepper Creek Junior High. This, however is a world where gender is taught in school, and junior high is definitely differant to what you're used to...

This is about the first third of Jamie's story. I started this back in January, I'm hoping posting it will help get me back into the swing of writing and maybe get this and Dream Come True finished.

Story:

Studying for my G.S.C.

The Diary of Jamie Furston

By Allison M

This was an attempt at writing a story in a different style, as such it is considerably 'lighter' than 'Dream Come True' is , it is also based in the U.S. and mostly takes the form of a diary; I hope you'll forgive me if I've made a complete hash of it.

August 31st

Well so much for summer holidays, sure it was fun and Bobby says you can never have too much fun, but dad just reminded me it's the last one I'd have as a child which kinda spoils things a bit. But then next summer I'll have my G.S.C. and it is pretty exciting to be a 'defined adolescent' as mom and dad put it, I just wonder what mine will get marked as? This year's gonna be fun.
Anyway, tomorrow I start my first day at Pepper Creek Junior High so tonight I got the growing up talk from mom and dad, they both said how much fun they had in their first year at junior high and that they both wished they'd kept a diary of it, then they gave me this diary as a present and I promised that I'd use it, so ta dah, here I am.

September 1st

This morning as always I sat on the stairs next door for a while waiting for Bobby, because surprise surprise the kid had slept in again, so we had to run for the bus. I swear all summer Bobby's been getting up at like 5 o'clock, but as soon as school starts the kid sleeps in!?

Despite all the excitement we'd all been told to look forward to, the first day was pretty boring. I mean 1st hour is registration where we all got our schedules and found our home room, Mr Stratham seams pretty cool, and it was great to see Bobby, Lee and I are all in the same classes this year. Then we all went to the assembly hall where Ms Cregson the principal wafted on for half an hour or so with the usual welcome and what's expected of us this year, I think a couple of kids might have still been listening half way through, but I doubt it. Each class of pre-defs was then assigned a buddy class of first years, and we spent most of the rest of the day going around the school getting to know our way around, and listening to stories during lunch from the first year's about what they did as pre-defs. Some of the stories of their tryouts were pretty funny, but I sure hope some of those things don't happen to me.

I showed mom and dad my weekly and year schedules when I got home, basically we get 2 months of study, then tryouts till Winter break, more tryouts till mid winter break, then tests before spring break and finalization after. All our classes go on while this is happening, with all the academic tests before summer, it's gonna be a busy year, but mom said that's what makes it fun, great.

September 2nd

Today was mostly just GSC stuff, this is what we did (after nearly missing the bus because someone slept in again); home room — Mr Stratham introduced us to what it's all about, and why we should do our best to get the most from the tryouts; history — Mr Curtis gave us the history of GSC (you know they used to have birth certificates? weird.); English — Ms Fuller wants us to write an essay on 'what GSC means to me' to show our writing skills; Science and Biology — Miss Sands went straight into puberty and reproductive systems. Thank god for math — no GSC! Even lunch was more stories from the first years, but at least they're funny.

September 4th

Weekend means no GSC, yes, thank you. Me and Bobby went over to Lee's house to play Calcutter on the Xbox, kinda got boring after a while though so we took a bus to the mall for lunch. We ran into Kayla one of our first year buddies and some of her friends, who joined us for lunch and then we followed them around for the afternoon. Some of this girl stuff looks like fun, like all their clothes are sooo nice, I can't wait for our tryouts.
I told mom all about it when I got home and she just smiled a knowing grin, of course dad jumped in and said how as a man you're bigger and stronger, and can play football and can go topless on a hot day and all this other stuff. I asked if I could be a strong girl and he laughed and said that I could be strong but men are always the strongest, I didn't think that was funny so I guess it's a man thing. Maybe I'll find out later in the tryouts or something.

September 5th

Dad took me to a ball game today, he said it was something about showing me the good things of being a man. Baseball is OK but really drags on, but at least dad got me foot long dog for lunch. I don't know who won 'cause I fell asleep halfway through the 5th, and dad took me home. I don't mind watching football, but baseball just bores me, maybe it's just the long games. Mom asked us about our day when we got home and giggled when I said I'd fell asleep. I went over to Bobby's place and we worked on our English essays, and checked out some GSC sites on the net till mom called me home for dinner.

September 6th

The kid awakens on time!

September 7th

Well I guess 2 days in a row is a bit much to ask, but at least we made it to the bus. We got our tryout schedule today from Mr Stratham, so our class' first tryout will be as girls, we've got a while to prepare then tryout, then we come back as boys after winter break. So we started straight into studying being a girl, clothes, the body, social roles, motherhood, periods, typical and accepted behavior, and all that stuff. There's a lot to learn, sure is a lot more difficult than being a child, but it should be fun. We learn all the girl stuff first then the boy stuff, with a week refresher before starting each tryout, and no GSC studying during them. We'd get a female teacher to help with some of the girl stuff, and to answer questions, plus our first year buddy girls would help us, and generally show us what girls do.
When I got home and told mom and dad about the tryout schedule mom was ecstatic and was all over me, and just wouldn't stop hugging me.
“Oh my little girl, we're going to have so much fun, just you see...”
“Quit the mothering Marion, the kids not a girl yet.” Dad told her.
I was kinda glad he did, I love mom but she was hugging me so tight I could barely breath.

September 9th

OK so I said this girl stuff looked kinda fun, but not the way Mr Stratham teaches it. Sure he was telling us all about it, but I think even my mom would have second thoughts about being a girl listening to him drone on.

September 13th

Mrs James, Bobby's mom gave us a ride to school today, as Bobby was even later then usual. We had Ms Libcanster for home room instead of Mr Stratham, she'll be staying with us through the girl lessons, thankfully, she makes it much more fun than Mr Stratham ever did. It was just the simple stuff today, well I don't know if it's that simple but 'clothing and personal styles for young women' is too interesting to be called difficult. Wow, 4 hours discussing clothes designs and hair styles. The afternoon was a little more serious though as we learned the more intimate details of the female body. Now, the idea of being a mom sounds cool, but pregnancy sounds kinda gross and uncomfortable, and when your not pregnant you get a monthly period, I'm sure one of those is worse than the other but I don't know which. Apparently in the old days I would have been a boy from birth, so I guess I wouldn't have had to worry about all that, but I still would rather have the choice, I mean who'd want something like that decided for them?
When I told mom what I'd learned today she smiled peacefully and just said that while pregnancy can be uncomfortable at times, feeling someone grow inside of you more than makes up for it, I could see in here look that she meant it. I guess it is pretty amazing.

September 16th

Ms Libcanster is one cool lady, I mean some of the questions being asked would have meant a months detention from anyone else, but she just answered like there was nothing to it. Mind you there are some things you just don't want to know about your teacher.

September 17th

Bobby and I ran into Kayla again at the mall, tryouts may still be over a month away but she still talked us into getting some 'essential supplies' for our girl time. In my case essential supplies being this really nice bracelet and enough makeup to last till I'm 50 — at least that's how it looked. Mom wasn't too happy about me spending all my money at the mall, till I showed her what I got, then she started on her 'my little girl' thing again, only dad wasn't home to rescue me this time.

September 19th

Ms Fuller had 30 'the chance to find myself' essays handed in during English, I guess none of us will get marks for originality. George Marks made himself known to me during lunch, his parents are against the whole GSC idea and insist that he is a boy 'cause that's how he was born, I got the idea that he agrees with them when he tripped me up in the hall and called me a freak. One of the first year boys saw him and tripped him, “don't let the idiot bother you” he said soothingly as he helped me up. I thanked him and we got into a 'so what century did he crawl out of' discussion which ended in a mutual agreement by everyone in earshot that George was the only freak at Pepper Creek JH. Seriously, who really believes any of that ancient garbage anymore anyway? Part of being human is having the right to choose isn't it?

September 21st

Gym today, that meant no math, thank you.

September 23rd

Fallopian tube, sounds like some European subway train or something.

September 24th

Went to the mall for lunch and to play some games at the arcade, and met Kayla there again. I have to stop going to the mall, or go to a different one, or stop buying every thing Kayla says looks great on me, or something, this girl's gonna send me broke. Bobby and Lee disappeared at some point and I didn't see them again till I got to the bus stop, I didn't talk to them till they practically begged forgiveness, ha! That'll teach them.

September 28th

Late start day, so Bobby was actually on time for once! And no math, can this day get any better? Ooh English.

October 1st

I will not go to the mall. I will not go to the mall. I will not go to the mall. I will not go to the mall.
“Hey Jamie, wanna come to the mall?”
“Yeah, sure.” Oh foo.
***
“Ah, Jamie, I'm, ah, I just gotta go to, ah, the toilet. Bye”
“Hiya Jamie, you on your own?”
“Oh hi Kayla, no Bobby's here but just went to the bathroom.”
She raised an eyebrow at that.
Oh foo. “The kids not coming back, hey?”
She smiled and shook her head, “no.”
***
“But mom I'll be a girl in a month, and it's really not fair on you and dad to have to buy everything for me, and these shoes will go great with the jeans I have on layaway...”

October 3rd

Twice Bobby's deserted me at the mall, I'm never talking to the kid ever again. So I walked to the bus stop alone. First day of boy lessons today, Mr Stratham seamed much more willing to make the lesson fun. Not that it's difficult to mention dangley bits and cause the whole class to break out in a giggle fit.
***
Bobby was kneeling on the hall floor begging me, how could I not forgive the kid after that? Of course George Marks tripped over Bobby's legs so it was worth it just to see that. Then again the comments that Bobby was proposing were a little irritating, so it was either forgive or be married by Christmas, for all we know we'd both end up being boys so it's just a bit early for a wedding.

October 4th

Boy lessons, boooooorrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg. 'Acceptable behavior for young men' AKA he with the biggest dick wins. Or perhaps he who is the biggest d
***
Great, detention, I really shouldn't write in my diary in class.

October 5th

Gym = no math, I love Wednesdays.

October 8th

“Jamie you are not going to the mall!”
“But mom...”
“Don't use that tone with me.”
“Sorry mom.”
***
I've changed my mind, I don't want an Xbox for Christmas, Lee has one and it's boring. But then what is the point of playing a soccer game when you have your own ball and a park next door?

October 11th

“How can you even walk when it gets hard like that?”
“Oh. But...”

October 13th

“Hiya Jamie, didn't see you at the mall on Saturday?”
“Yeah my mom wouldn't let me go.”
“Why? Are you grounded or something?”
“Ah no, just that every time I go to the mall I spend too much.”
Assorted giggles came from everyone in earshot.

October 15th

“Pleeaase mom, I have to get those jeans off layaway and...”
“OK, I'll take you, we'll get your jeans and have some lunch, but that's all.”
“Thanks mom.”
***
“You know, I'll be a girl in 2 weeks so we should really get some more things for me, and since you're here we won't spend the money on things that I don't need, and I saw this great skirt the other week...”
***
“Jamie, there is more than enough here for 2 months. I'm not buying anything else, you don't need it!”
***
“Honey they both look great, although the blue one is probably a little short. Pick one, and I mean ONE.”
“But mom, they're both so cute, and I mean...”
***
“Fine you can have them both but that's it, we're going home.”
***
“You know, that was kind of fun, we should do it again some time.”
“Yeah mom, that'd be great!”
***
It took over 2 hours to put all my new clothes away. Well trying everything on again once mom had cut the tags off probably had something to do with it taking so long.

October 19th

Last day of boy lessons, and it was as interesting as ever. I mean they're like big kids, it's like the lazy way to be a grown up or something. Still, I guess it would kinda be fun, it's noway as complicated as being a girl would be, that'd have to be a good thing. Basically you can be pretty and have a complicated life, or be big and hairy and have a simple life. OK, OK, maybe that's a bit too basic a way to think of, but it's kinda true.
No math, and a 4 day weekend, I love Wednesdays.

October 22nd

“But mom, I'll be a girl in a week and you've let me grow my hair out, and I wanna get it styled this week 'cause everyone will be getting theirs done next week and I wanna avoid the rush. And besides, Kayla made an appointment for me with her hairdresser 'cause she says she's really good, and I don't wanna miss the appointment and I was gonna have lunch with Kayla afterwards so you won't have to prepare anything here, and...”
“OK, you can go.”
“Thanks mom. Ah...”
“What?”
“Well, I've got enough money to get my hair done, but then there's lunch after, and what if I need some products to look after my hair? And I really wanted to get some more tights, and you know I haven't got a bra, and everyone will be getting theirs next week so all the lingerie stores will be busy, so if I can get in before everyone else...”
Sigh “fine, how much?”
“Ah, $50?”
“Hmm, OK, just don't tell your dad how much.”
“Thanks mom, your the best. I love you.”
“I love you too honey. Now get, before I change my mind.”
***
The salon kinda smelt strange, well not really strange, but I mean it had this really girly smell, like lots of make-up or something, but there's also this kinda chemical smell, like a hospital, no that sounds bad. No, it's more like fresh paint or something, I don't know, try painting a room with make-up and that's probably what it's like. It's a really sweet smell though, like relaxing, but I don't know it's nice whatever it smells like. Kayla had made an appointment for me so we didn't have to wait very long, Carol, Kayla's hairdresser took me over to this funny shape sink and washed my hair, then I got in to a chair in front of a mirror, she put this like superman cape around me and asked what I'd like done with my hair, which isn't that long, like mom's let me grow it out since school started but it still barely touches my shoulders, and even though I've seen lots of stuff about hair styles in school I still didn't know how I should have mine. Thankfully Kayla came to the rescue showing a magazine to Carol, I liked the look of it, it was fairly simple but not too plain, I'm not sure what you'd call it but it's sort of layered and comes down to about an inch or so above my shoulders. So carol got to cutting, and we decided some blond and red high lites would help bring my natural auburn hair to life and would go well with my brown eyes and not too light skin tone. So anyway Carol put the colors in and while that was working away she set to plucking my eyebrows, that HURT! OK, so maybe it's not that bad, but it does kinda sting, but at least my brows were looking a bit neater after she thinned them down to a fine arch. Anyway Carol washed out the coloring, and finished styling and fussing and generally getting it looking right, then showed me in the mirror.
“Wow.”
“You like it , huh?”
“Yeah. Wow, its fantastic. Thank you.”
So we exchanged compliments about me being beautiful and her being the greatest hairdresser ever for while, then I walked out with a lot of hair care products and a lot less cash. Maybe I should have asked mom for more money, well at least they give GSC discounts. I was talking with Kayla over a salad when a bunch of her friends turned up, along with a couple of other pre-defs who apparently had the same idea as I had as they all had new girly hair styles. We were all talking about what we were going to do for the afternoon when I mentioned I wanted to buy a bra.
“Why? Its not like you need one.” Giggled Jen (only her mom calls her Jennifer) one of Kayla's friends.
I went on to tell everyone that I figured I should get the full experience out of the tryout, and as girls wore bra's so should I. Kelly, one of the other pre-defs, thought that sounded cool and before we knew it we were in some department store surrounded by more bra's than we'd ever seen. A sales lady came to help and measure us; I'm a 28AAA, so basically I'm small and flat, I told her about the GSC tryouts and how I thought I should have the full experience, she said that was a wonderful idea and found me a simple white bra with a little padding which felt great. I got another similar one in a sort of dusty rose color as well as a few other things which Kayla talked me into; not that I really needed to be talked into any of it, so by the time I got to the register I had 4 bra's in different styles and colors, a full and half slip in skin tone, some more tights, and this really sweet nightie in a sort of red flecked white with care bears on it. Kayla lent me some more money so I wouldn't have to leave anything on layaway, I really couldn't wait to see the look on mom's face when I got home with all this.
I was a little disappointed as it seems she was expecting it. On the plus side she loved my hair, although dad wasn't too pleased till I told him that my eyebrows would grow back.

October 24th

Me, Kelly, and Ashley were the only pre-defs in the whole school with our hair done, if it wasn't for the fact that next week everyone would have their hair styled (well OK, half boys, and half girls)we would have got a lot more stares than we did. Actually Kelly's pretty cool, we sat together at lunch so our little group has grown from just Bobby, Lee and me to include Kelly and Sam. And with Kayla and her friends joining us at our table we made quite a group with the 9 of us, although Bobby and Lee were threatening to disappear again when we all started talking about Saturdays trip to the mall, those 2 just don't get shopping, I'm sure if they tried it they'd find it fun. Chickens.

October 25th

Ms Libcanster is back this week for home room, as it's the last week before tryouts. There's not really much happening, mostly just making sure everyone is ready, and answering any last minute questions. A few more kids have had their hair done, it's pretty funny really, you can see some of them don't like the way their hair is, and I think someones mom might have fancied herself as a hairdresser.

October 26th

Did I mention how much I love Wednesdays? No math!

October 29th

“But mom, what about some practice for Monday?”
“You don't need practice, and you're not wearing anything today. That's final!”
“Dad...”
“Do what your mother says Jamie.”
***
“Mom, can I at least practice with the make-up? I mean I just need to be sure the colors are right for me.”
“Jamie!” sigh “OK, your can practice with the make-up.”
“Thanks mom, I love you.”
***
“Mom can I go to the mall?”
“Yes, but make sure you're home for dinner.”
“Ah mom, I'm gonna meet Kayla and her friends there, and well they're all girls, so I thought maybe I could...”
“No you can wait till Monday.”
“Yes mom.”
***
“JAMIE FURSTON! Come here right now, what is in that back pack?”
“Ah...”
“Give it to me.” Oh foo. “Right, you're not going to the mall today, in fact your grounded for the weekend.”
“Aw mom...”
“Don't aw mom me, I told you you're not wearing any of it till Monday, and now your trying to sneak your clothes out of the house. Get up to your room NOW, or you'll be grounded through till next weekend!”
“Yes mom.”

October 31st

“Jamie, no daughter of mine is going to wear that on her first day day at school.”
“But mom that dress you picked out makes me look like I'm in Kindergarten or something.”
“Nonsense, it's a lovely dress. What you've got on might be fine for going to see a friend but not for school. Now stop being silly and go change.”
“Yes mother.”
***
“Oh sweety you look lovely. That's so much nicer than what you had on before.”
***
“Ha ha, nice dress Jamie.”
“Shut up Bobby.”
***
“Hi Jamie, nice dress.”
“Oh hi Kayla, yeah my mom made me wear it.”
“Well it is nice, but it does kinda make you look like..”
“A Kindergartener? Yeah that's what I tried to tell mom.”
“Well cheer up it's not that bad, you should have seen what my mom made me wear on my first day.”
“Really?”
“Yeah, let me tell you about it. It was this awful lime green...”
***
“Oh yeah, what're ya wearing for the Halloween party Jamie?”
“Ah, I don't know. Mom said she got me something really nice, but it's a surprise. But then she thought this dress was really great.”
***
Being one of 27 princesses at the party is not the greatest of feelings, but at least my tiara didn't look as fake as some. Kayla and Jen made a pretty good Buffy and Willow, while Bobby and Lee were Charlie's Angels, I could have been the 3rd, but, well humph. On the plus side my dress really was fab, it's like this really deep burgundy sort of color, floor length with  ¾ length sleeves trimmed with white lace down to my wrists, and like a scoop neck with more lace, and mom got me some 2” heels to wear with it. I luv those shoes, they were a little tricky to walk in at first, but they're just so great I kept practicing like all afternoon so I'd look good at the party. I think I'll have to get a top and skirt to match them so I can so I can wear them to school, 'cause I can't wear that dress to school, actually I don't think I'd want to wear them to school in case they got scuffed or something, I could wear them to the mall but I still need to get something to go with them. Kayla's always there, but I wonder what Kelly and Sam are doing on Saturday?

November 1st

“Mom, you made me wear that dress yesterday and everyone said I looked like a kindergartener, and...”
“Don't be silly Jamie, kindergarteners don't wear dresses.”
“That's not the point, tryouts are supposed to be so I can pick my gender, how can I do that when you won't even let me pick my clothes?”
“Jamie, I'm just helping you out.”
“But mom...”
“No Jamie. You'll wear what I've picked out and that's final.”
***
“Nice dress Jamie.”
“Shut up Bobby.”

November 2nd

“Bye mom, gotta run.”
“Jamie I told you to change...”
***
“Wow Jamie, your mom actually picked something cool today.”
“No, I had to run out of the house so she couldn't make me change.”
“Ah ha ha ha.”
***
“Hi Kelly.”
“Hey Jamie. Love that top.”
“Thanks.”

November 3rd

“Jamie I'm not having anymore stunts like yesterday! Wear what I picked out, and I'm going to check your bag so don't even think about hiding anything in there.”
“Yes mom.”
***
“Nice dress Jamie.”
Grin.
“What?”
“You'll see”
***
“You've got spare clothes in your locker?”
“Yep, brought 'em in yesterday, 'cause I knew my mom would check my bag today.”
“That's... you're... ah... What are ya gonna do on Monday?”
“Oh, maybe I'll wear this?”
“You brung clothes for Monday as well?”
“Err, well...”
“Geeze Jamie, what'd ya bring your whole wardrobe?”

November 5th

OK so I know I said I'd get like a top and skirt to go with those shoes, but this is just way better. Me and Bobby went to the mall and met up with Kelly and Sam, between the 3 of us we managed to keep Bobby from disappearing, I mean like she's a girl now so she's gotta come shopping with us hey? So anyway, I was looking through some tops when Kelly comes up with this dress which is like to die for, so I tried it on and it looked even better, except it would look even better if I had boobs but it looked so good anyway. And I tried my shoes on with it, you know the deep red heels mom got me for Halloween? Anyway it just looked so perfect, I mean it's fairly simple, and I s'pose it's sorta white, but it has this rose print all over it that looks like so good with my hair, so I bought it and wore it out of the shop 'cause I just couldn't take it off it looked so good. Then later Kayla, oh yeah we met her and her friends at lunch, she found this great set of sapphire studs which I just had to get and got my ears pierced, and just hoped mom wouldn't freak out when I got home. We even managed to talk Bobby into buying a skirt, well Kayla talked her into it, she's good at that, it's a really neat knee length denim one with like flowers embroidered over one hip and looked really cute. Oh and Kelly got this great top a bit like one of mine she liked, except hers is sorta baby blue to match her eyes, whereas mines more pink. Anyway when I got home mom was like all over me saying how pretty I was in the dress, and she didn't even freak out about my ears but said I should have asked her first, so I said I was sorry, but by then dad had seen me and said how beautiful I was and called me princess like he did on Halloween. I changed before dinner though 'coz I didn't want to spill anything on my dress, but I promised them I'd wear it for Thanksgiving 'cause mom said Aunt June would just love to see me in it. I just want every day to be like today 'cause it was just so great, and now dad's gonna be up to tuck me in soon, which he hasn't done since I was like 8 or something, and it's just so nice when he does that.

November 7th

“Nice dress Jamie.”
“At least I don't look I just fell outa bed.”
“Hey, it's not my fault the alarm didn't go off!”
“Sure Bobby.”
***
“Hey Jamie, weren't you wearing a blue dress on the bus?”
“Yeah she's got her whole wardrobe in her locker so she doesn't have to wear what her mom wants her to.”
“It's not my whole wardrobe, it's only a few things.”
“Yeah sure. You've got enough clothes in there to last till when?”
“Only till Friday.”
Only till Friday?”
“Oh my god, I have to see this.”
“Ah, yeah, sure Kelly.”
***
“Jamie, how are you going to wash all those clothes?”
“Ah... can I do it at your place?”
“No!”
“Oh come on your right next door to me...”
“And what about if my mom calls your mom?”
“Err...”
***
“Hey Kayla, are you do anything Saturday morning?”
“Yeah were going to my aunt's for the weekend, why?”
“Doesn't matter.”

November 8th

“Nice dr...”
“Shut up bobby.”
***
“Hey Kelly, what you up to Saturday morning?”
“Not much, why?”
“Could I come over yours for a bit and ah... do some laundry?”

November 10th

“You mean panties go on before tights?”
“Oh Jamie, don't tell me you've had them on over your tights all this time.”
“Ah, Yeah.”
giggle giggle
“Mom!”
“I'm sorry sweety, it's just...”

November 11th

“So Kelly, if I take all my clothes on the bus can you get them all back to your house?”
“Oh yeah, sure I can. But ah... why can't you wash them at your house?”
“Well if my mom finds out I've been sneaking clothes out of the house again...”
“You've done this before?”
“Ah, sort of. Like before tryouts started...”

November 12th

“Is that everything now?”
“Yeah.”
“So you wanna go to the mall?”
“Ooh yeah, I saw this great...”
***
“Oh my god Jamie you have to see this dress, it's just like... ah it's like totally... you just have to see it.”
***
“Hi, ah what's the minimum deposit to put this on layaway?”
***
“You do realize we'll probably be boys before you've got that off layaway don't you?”
“Err.”
***
“You bought what?!”
“But mom it was just so gorgeous, you should have seen it, and I thought maybe you and dad could...”
“Oh Jamie...”

November 14th

“Shut up Bobby.”
“Hey I didn't say anything!”
“No, but you were going to.”
“Was not.”
“Ha!”
***
“Hi Kelly, so did you bring everything?”
“Yeah, but ah...”
“What?”
“Well my mom kinda asked why I was taking all these clothes to school and ah... I had to tell her, sorry.”
“Um, your mom doesn't know my mom does she?”
“I don't think so.”
“It should be OK then.”
***
“Jamie Furston, what's this about you keeping clothes in your locker at school?”
Oh foo. “Ah well, I just need to keep some spare things...”
“Don't lie to me young lady, Mrs Poller said Kelly's bag was full this morning. If it was just a few spare things it wouldn't fill a school bag and it wouldn't have been in Kelly's bag would it?”
“No mom.”
“Right, so what was it then?”
“I just wanted something else to wear 'cause I didn't like what you kept picking out for me.”
“I checked your bag last week, how did you get them to school?”
“Ah...”
“Well?”
“I took them in the day before you started checking.”
“So you planned it all did you?”
“yeah.”
“What was that?”
“Yes mom.”
“Well even if you didn't like what I picked out, you still shouldn't have sneaked things out of the house, and you lied to me about it. So you can bring all those clothes back tomorrow, and you're grounded for a week.”
“But mom...”
“Do you want to make that 2 weeks?”
“Sorry mom.”
“Fine, now go to your room and do your homework.”

November 15th

“Don't even think about saying it Bobby.”
***
“Hi Jamie. Umm...”
“Don't worry Kelly, its not your fault.”
“So, what happened?”
“I have to take all my clothes home, and I'm grounded for a week.”
“Oh god Jame, I;m sorry.”
“Hey don't fuss, you tried to help, it wasn't you that snuck clothes into school.”
“Yeah but still...”
***
“Really Kelly don't worry about it, I'm not mad at you.”
***
“Ugh”
“Are you OK?”
“Yeah, just a funny tummy, I think I might have had too much orange juice or something.”
***
“So are you gonna change?”
“Nah, what's the point? I mean I'm gonna have to wear what mom says from now on...”
“Well yeah, maybe. But I was thinking...”
“This is gonna get me in more trouble isn't it?”
“No! Look just hear me out...”
***
“Jamie, that's not what you were wearing this morning?”
“No mom, I just wanted to show you what I have been wearing at school. I thought you'd like to know.”
“Well now you've shown me. Did you bring everything home?”
“Yes mom.” I held up the bag of clothes.
“OK, then go put it all away and start on your homework. I'll call you when dinner's ready.”
“Yes mom.”
***
“Are you OK princess? You've barely eaten a thing?”
“I'm OK daddy, just a funny tummy is all.”
“Well maybe you should have an early night then?”
***
“Marion, is that what I think it is?”
“Hmm, whatever do you mean dear?”

November 16th

Oh god, what the.. “Mom!”
“What is it sweet heart? Still not feeling to well?”
“Did you change my vitamins yesterday?”
“Yes I did, I thought now was a good time for it.”
“Mom did you give me my period as part of my punishment?”
“No, look at the bright side, at least you won't have to deal with it on a weekend when your out with your friends.”
“I guess. But...”
“Shush, why don't you go have a shower and clean up, while I put your bedding in the wash, then we can have a little mother daughter talk.”
***
“Hey Jamie, nice dr... Hey, does your mom know what you're wearing? Or did you sneak out again?”
“No, mom saw what I wore yesterday and said as long as I let her see what I'm wearing I could pick my own stuff.”
“Cool, and you're still not happy because?”
“Remember my tummy was upset yesterday?”
“Yeah?”
“That's 'cause mom switched my vitamins.”
“Yeah, so... Oh. Really?”
“Uh-huh.”
“So, is it, real bad, or what?”
“You know all that stuff they told us in school?”
“Yeah?”
“Sugar coating.”
“Oh.”
***
“Hi Jamie.”
“Mm. Hi Kelly.”
“You too huh?”
“Hey?”
“Vitamins.”
“Oh, yeah. Do you think they planned it?”
“Probably.”
“Humph.”
“Well it looks like the plan worked.”
“Huh?”
“Clothes?”
“Oh, yeah. Thanks.”
***
“Oh god this gross.”
***

November 17th

I hate those pills, as if the stomach cramps aren't bad enough, they make this red goo leak out of you, it's like peeing not-quite-set jello all day. Ugh, how long does this last?

November 18th

Day 3 and the evil one continued to torment me with her supposedly innocent remarks, like she doesn't know what's wrong.

November 19th

Oh please tell me this is the end of it.

November 20th

Brilliant, now that I'm feeling fine I'm stuck at home, doing laundry, and vacuuming, and dusting. I think I'd rather have a period. Maybe not. There's not much in it though.
***
Ugh, Ironing.

November 21st

“Hey Bobby. You OK? Whatsup?”
“Vitamins.”
“Oh, well hey it's not that bad, I mean really, you could be doing housework...”

November 23rd

Wednesday, I luv you, gym, no math, and no school for almost a week!

November 24th

I like cooking, 'cause you get to taste things while you do it, although I still think it's unfair that I wasn't allowed to taste test the turkey. Mom showed me how to make pumpkin pie, now that needs regular taste tests, well it does when I do it anyway. I learned the 3 most important things about cooking, according to mom anyway, 1 keep dad out of the kitchen, 2 taste test regularly, 3 well there's only really 2 so 3 is just the actual cooking part. Aunt June arrived and fussed over how beautiful I was and absolutely loved my dress (you know rose pattern, those shoes that I luv, and the studs Kayla showed me). Uncle Greg grunted something before disappearing into the den with dad to watch some football or something, but that's really a compliment, Uncle Greg's just weird like that. Aunt June bought some of her sweet potato casserole, it is sooo nice, and she gave me the recipe so maybe I can make it next year? I also made the pineapple cheese salad, well mom had to do the pouring 'cause the pot was too heavy for me and I didn't want to get burnt. So we had this great spread to feast on, and I helped cook it, and dad and Uncle Greg kept telling me what a good cook I was, well dad did, Uncle Greg just grunted a couple of times, like I said, he's weird. It really was the best Thanksgiving ever though, I mean I'm a girl now not just some little kid so I helped cook, and I had the best dress ever, and everyone kept saying how beautiful I was, and I got Aunt Junes sweet potato casserole recipe, and I had the best dress ever. I sure hope every year's this good from now on.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

want more

Loved it, need and want more please

love your story

*smiling*

That was a fun story! I def like the idea of a world where you're gender isn't decided for you at birth. I mean, how does anybody know if they're gonna be a girl or a boy ... or any other gender, when they're a newborn?

Studying for my GSC

Interesting world where the gender can change until student chooses their gender.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Fascinating Idea

So, why couldn't things have been this way when I was in school??? I love the concept. Any chance there'll be more installments?

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Fresh idea and nicely begun!

Wonderfully good concept, nicely done from the POV of a teen. You managed to avoid some of the pitfalls of 'alternate reality' or "near future society' by not inserting boring explanatory monologues.

It will be interesting to see if this is a stand alone work, in which case it was nicely ended. (Not all questions MUST be answered, despite the howls of serial fiction addicts here)

If it is a serial effort, you have set a good stage to begin.

Tyrone Slothrop

It was the 'why couldn't scho

It was the 'why couldn't school have been like that for me' sentiment which started me off with this 'little' tale; it was meant to be a quicky, but it just kinda grew... There could be more installments, I've actually written the ending; it's just the December through May part that needs doing.
First of all I wanna get another part of Dream Come True posted though; seeing as I found most of part 3 on a server I rarely look at, I don't even know why or how it was on there?!

'Boring explanatory monologues' - it took a conscious effort to not go off on a tangent with such things, I figured a sort of 'less is more' approach would be better with any explanations being built into the story line; I hope that's what I've achieved. Plus a certain sense of mystery is always good; anyone worked out what GSC stands for yet?

Thanks for the comments.

Ally

Good

Good concept. This was different without getting too confusing. I would like to see more.

Wow and I thought school was confusing when I was a kid

Cute story.

Enough details to keep us interested with enough left out to keep us hooked, sneeky.

What is it with moms and bad taste in clothes, particularly excessively young looking clothes -- ie something made for a five year old bought for a ten?

>>Boy lessons, boooooorrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggggg. 'Acceptable >>behavior for young men' AKA he with the biggest dick wins. Or >>perhaps he who is the biggest d
>>***
>>Great, detention, I really shouldn't write in my diary in class.

That was so true and funny, reminds me how I nearly got into big trouble in junior high when bored.

It's great to see you writing, hope you can finish Dream Come True.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Initials

Best I could figure was Gender Surgery Certificate.

Anyway, good story.

Eric

while doing a google on GSC ...

I came across this :

Genetic Savings & Clone

A real company for pet owners.
-------------------------------------
Tho I'd say GSC was Genomic Standards Committee

to assign sexual development during puberty.

Being sure the children received the correct "vitamin"