The Journey is the Destination 16

Printer-friendly version
The Journey is the Destination
Chapter 16

By poetheather

Ranma is worried. Shampoo is set on upsetting the balance she has achieved. And what's going on with Ukyo?

Author's Note: Ranma 1/2 is owned by Takahashi Rumiko and they have no connection to this what so ever. These characters are used without their permission and include a plea not to be sued as I have no money.
 
 
Chapter 16

Walking home from school, Ranma was pensive. Things were still bothering her from earlier and she had no idea how to get out of them. Her thoughts kept rolling over and over, replaying several moments. She had really hurt Kuno, in a way she never had before, and would have no problem with raining that sort of pain down on any of the jerks that constantly screwed with her. What part of she had killed a freaking god had they missed? And yet she had used her skill against someone weaker than her and that almost made her feel like some sort of bully. Things needed to calm down some more before she snapped on everyone else.

So when Ranma heard a familiar bicycle bell ring a few times, growing closer, she groaned and moved out of the way, so she wouldn’t get hit. Akane also dodged to the side just to be safe, letting Shampoo land the bike and skid to a stop, her delivery box of Ramen balanced on one hand. “Ni hao airen!”

“Shampoo.” Ranma’s voice was flat, with no emotion in it. She really, really did not need this right now.

“Why Ranma with too too violent girl? Come with Shampoo to date.” The lavender haired girl smiled happily at her own suggestion and Ranma couldn’t deny that the Amazon was beautiful. Ranma honestly had no interest in the girl however, regardless how she looked, besides the whole Jusenkyo Curse where she turned into a cat really killed things.

“Sorry Shampoo. I need to go home and do my homework before training. Besides, I am not your airen.” Ranma liked the girl as a friend but everything else was a figment of the girl’s demented mind.

“Great Grandmother say Ranma not really girl, that Ranma lying to everybody.” stated Shampoo, staring directly at Ranma, with something violent dancing in her eyes. Ranma could discern the threat in the look as easily as Akane could and he wanted to try an head things off before she had to hurt someone else.

“So you believe the stupid story about hot water making me a boy? Do you? Fine, Shampoo, pour hot water on me. See if I change into a boy.” Ranma was getting somewhat nervous. If Cologne had actually figured things out than she would be screwed and this whole plan to fix her life would fall to pieces. That old ghoul was way too dangerous and smart for Ranma to feel comfortable around her, and being around Shampoo upped the odds of encountering her.

“Great Grandmother also say that if Ranma really girl, Kiss of Death on again.” Shampoo’s grin was not friendly, as if she relished passing on the threat. Akane inhaled sharply at that.

Ranma’s eyes narrowed and her body was instantly ready to launch into an attack, her battle aura barely suppressed. This was not an idle threat that she could blithely ignore. This was a direct challenge and she had to take a stand, to do anything else would be to allow the Amazons to control her life. Her voice was cold and measured as she replied, “I don’t want to fight you Shampoo, but if you come after me I will stop you. And if that happens, I will not just stop at you, I will deal with Mousse, your Great Grandmother and then your village. You come after me and I will come after your people. There will be no Amazons left. Are we clear?”

Akane could hardly believe what Ranma was saying. Was she actually straight out threatening Shampoo? Would the girl really go after the Amazons? Based off the look that she was giving Shampoo there was no question in her mind that she would do it. Ranma really would do that, she would destroy the Amazons. It made her shiver.

Shampoo cocked her head as if somewhat confused by what her airen was saying. Why was he threatening her? “Why Ranma talk that way? Ranma Shampoo’s Airen. Shampoo be good wife, Ranma give her strong daughters. Shampoo no understand.”

Ranma stood there, staring at the lavender haired Amazon warrior, the urge to attack coiling up her back like a snake. She knew exactly how she could take Shampoo out in a move or two and it didn’t make her happy, but rather filled her with sadness. Her mind was filled with violence and at times, she hated it. She turned away from the girl and started to walk back towards the Tendo’s house. Her voice sounded immensely tired, “Bye Shampoo.”

The girl just stood there for a moment, watching as Akane and Ranma headed back towards the dojo without her. Ranma’s threats had registered to her, as they were not subtle in the least but they seemed so unbelievable to her that they didn’t seem real, but the person who had killed Saffron of the Phoenix people would be able to carry out such a threat. She was at a loss. Perhaps attacking Ranma would not be in her best interests right now, as the boy could easily destroy whatever he wanted.

Maybe she should go after Akane instead? Use some sort of memory potion on her like she had before? It hadn’t worked that well last time, but maybe she just needed to use something stronger, to completely wipe Ranma from the girl’s mind. Shampoo wasn’t sure exactly what she wanted to do to the girl, to remove the roadblock to her happiness but Great Grandmother was sure to have some ideas. And it wasn’t like Ranma cared about the girl.

* * * * *

“Taidama!” Two voices called out from the front door.

“Okeari!” called Kasumi from the living room, which threw the two girls. They were much more used to hearing her voice come from the kitchen.

When they got there, Ranma’s mother and Kasumi were sitting in there at the table with some tea and the men were nowhere to be seen. It was strangely peaceful. “Mom… where’s Pops?”

She smiled took a sip of her tea as Kasumi filled glasses for them. She answered as they sat. “They became very interested in going on a training trip right around the time Kasumi and I were discussing the need for the two of them to actually do something that resembled work.”

The two girls snickered at that. What a great way to drive them out. Kasumi smiled and said, “It is doubtful that father will be back anytime in the next week or so.”

Akane looked quizzically at her, as that was a bit specific. “Why’s that Neesan?”

“They only took enough food for a week.” She replied, then taking a sip of her tea.

Ranma sighed happily, “Good.”

Akane snickered. Ranma really didn’t like her father, but she couldn’t really blame the girl after hearing about her history. The man had screwed up so much it was amazing that Ranma was as together as she was. Genma was so selfish and self-centered it amazed her that the worst thing about Ranma was her ego, but she was working on that. She loved her fiancé.

“Oh, Mom… I have something to talk to you about. It’s kind of important.” Ranma sounded a bit nervous when she said that, as this was trying to problem solve in a new way for her. Not using her fists to deal with things wasn’t quite as easy.

“What is it sweetheart?” Nodoka had switched from thinking of Ranma as a boy to as a girl fairly easily and it showed. In her eyes, Ranma was incredible in many ways and she just loved her child regardless of gender.

“Well, you remember me talking to you about my friend Ukyo?” Ranma reached back and scratched the back of her head nervously. It was a familiar habit.

“One of the fiancés, correct?” checked Nodoka, wanting to ensure that they were on the same page.

Ranma nodded and nervously said, “Well, we talked about what the vow was that her father made her take and our friend Yuka realized that if you and Pops adopted her that would fulfill the terms of the honor pledge. What do you say Mom? Want another daughter?”

Nodoka paused in thought. She was trying to avoid rushing into things but this idea sounded like a great way to deal with the whole fiancé thing in this situation. Ranma said she didn’t see Ukyo as anything but a really good friend and this would fix the problem for good. That and she would have another child to care for, which appealed to her. “What has she said about this?”

“She wanted to think about it some.” said Ranma, smiling hopefully.

Nodoka nodded. A determined look grew in her eyes. “I think tonight we are going to go out to eat. What do you think daughter?”

Ranma realized what her mother was offering and her heart soared. She hugged her mother tightly and said, “That would be great Mother. I love you.”

* * * * *

The four women headed off to eat, as Nabiki had made other plans for that evening, which was okay with Nodoka. The girl had just managed to make the beginnings of amends and there was no need to tempt her with old ways of doing things. Having Nabiki be elsewhere was a good thing in most everybody’s minds.

They entered the restaurant and noted how busy it was, even though it was toward the end of dinner time. Standing at the door and watching, Nodoka was impressed by the speed and technique that the girl behind the stoves had. The girl was completely centered in her actions and she moved as if her cooking were an extension of her soul. Another woman came up to them and bowed politely, “Good Evening, welcome to Ucchans.”

“Good Evening Konatsu.” replied Akane and Ranma at the same time, smiling at the familiar waitress.

“Please follow me.” The male kunoichi led them towards a table in the back of the restaurant that had a degree of privacy. Konatsu had figured that it would be needed at some point.

The women settled themselves as Konatsu rushed about, getting them some hot tea. Ranma’s mother was also impressed by this beautiful girl who waited on them. She carried her self with a great deal of feminine grace. It was nice to see in someone close to Ranma’s age. After they gave their orders, they waited a short while for them. Ukyo looked over at them at one point and waved. Ranma and Akane both waved back. The table was hopeful that this whole situation would end well.

Once the food was in front of them, they all put their hands together and before they dug in said, “Itadakimasu!”

The okonomiyaki were excellent as always and everyone enjoyed their meal. Afterwards, while they sat and waited for the crowd to thin out more, they had some more tea and had some red bean ice cream. All in all, it was a very satisfying meal. They sat there, waiting for the dinner throng to pass just enjoying the time together. As Konatsu was busy cleaning tables after customers left, Ukyo came over to the table. “Hey there sugar, enjoy the meal?”

“You bet! You really are a great chef Ucchan.” replied Ranma, gushing over her friends skill. Akane had to fight down the urge to smack Ranma for praising the girl but she was getting slowly better about things.

“Ukyo, can you join us?” asked Nodoka politely.

Ukyo swallowed worriedly and took a seat. She had a pretty good idea about what this was all about, as this had been all she had been able to think about all day. Ever since Akane’s friend Yuka had offered that solution, her mind had been arguing back and forth over the idea and she had only been able to escape it by focusing on her cooking. So far, her mind was tied, with half thinking it was a great idea as her father didn’t care for her as much as he did his lost cart as well as Ranma acting more like her friend and less like a fiancé, while the other half was insisting that honor be upheld and that Ranma was her fiancé regardless of how he acted. This whole issue was a battle for her very identity and it shook her to her core.

Nodoka smiled kindly, trying to set a positive mood to the conversation, “My daughter told me about the suggestion of her friend Yuka and I find that it is an excellent proposition. I am disgraced by the fact that my husband treated you so poorly in the past, failing to uphold his personal honor and I wish to make amends. My daughter told me how close you two were as children and how happy it has made her to have her best friend back in her life. I believe that adopting you into the Saotome clan would be the best solution in terms of honor and keeping you two close.”

“I… I… Mrs. Saotome, I have no idea what to say. Ever since I was abandoned on the side of the road my focus has been on vengeance, but when your son treated me kindly and said that I was cute I wanted nothing more than to be his wife.” Nodoka looked as if she was about to say something so Ukyo kept going, not wanting to be interupted. “I… I just want things to work out, more than anything I don’t want to lose Ranma.”

“My daughter could not have married you, you do know that… right?” asked Ranma’s mother, as if trying to explain something basic.

Ukyo looked at her funny. “But Mrs. Saotome, Ranma is a boy, right?”

The older woman shook her head. “Genma had always wanted a boy and apparently took advantage of the fact that I wasn’t around to raise our daughter as his son. I am sorry that you had to endure such a story.”

Ukyo blinked a few times. Ranma’s mother was saying he was a girl, the woman he was deathly afraid would find out about his curse and make him commit seppuku. This didn’t make any sense. She knew that Ranma was a boy. However, if Ranma’s mother said that and believed it, then maybe it might be best for her to get adopted as there would be no way for her to marry another girl. All she would have then is failure. She looked down a bit ashamed, blushing fiercely and said, “I… I am not sure what to do. Part of me wants to agree but another part does not.”

Nodoka reached across the table and took one of Ukyo’s hands. The chef looked up into a face that clearly showed caring and concern for her. It was a look that she was unfamiliar with. “Ukyo, I know my husband is an idiot who has caused you harm but I would be honored to have you as my daughter. Know that I would be proud to know that you had the Saotome name. You are a remarkable young woman who any one would be proud to have as theirs. Please Ukyo, be my daughter.”

That broke the damn and Ukyo began to cry, years of tension breaking in words that she had longed to hear from her father which were spoken to her by someone else. Someone else showed her the concern and care that she had not gotten since she was six. Nodoka hurried to the chef’s side and hugged the girl, running a hand down the girl’s hair softly, trying to soothe her. “Hush now, it’ll be alright.”

Ukyo was going to take a chance at what had eluded her for years and she said between crying, “Can… can… I call you mother?”

Nodoka was filled with happiness at the thought that she was going to be able to get another child for her to love, something she had so dearly wanted for years. “Of course you can sweetheart.”

The others at the table were crying as well, touched by what they had seen. Ranma and Akane were both breathing sighs of relief at the fact that one fiancé was going to be out of the running but were also excited by the fact that Ukyo was going to become Ranma’s sister.

Nodoka said, “Why don’t we head down and take care of this in the morning, get your name added to our family’s rolls. Then you can go to school and then we can all celebrate tomorrow night, to welcome you to the family. Does that work for you?”

Ukyo nodded, too emotional to speak, sniffling against her soon to be mother’s kimono. She might not become Ranma’s wife but this way she would always be around him or rather her.

Konatsu looked on this scene and smiled happily for his love. He loved her and seeing the hopeful and happy look on her was the best gift he could have imagined. It only made the chef even more beautiful in his eyes. He cared about her and this happiness she showed was enough that he felt content with his choice to not inform her of the truth about Ranma. That truth would only have caused her more harm.



To Be Continued...

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Truth? What truth is

Truth? What truth is Konatsu talking about? Is it something new, or something I missed/forgot from the series? Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the next great chapter. Keep up the good work Heather, I love it! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Bwahahahahahaa

The tantalizing is 3/4 of the fun. :)

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Perhaps Konatsu's Secret Has Something To Do With

Shampoo and Eanma, Like how Ranma prevented herself from reverting back to being a boy.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine