Something Feels Strange - 10

Printer-friendly version
Something Feels Strange…

Feels Strange


"Hi, Daddy," I say with a smile as I give him a big hug, and a kiss on the cheek.

"Ooh –," he says with a grin, "I think I'm going to enjoy having a daughter!"


Chapter 10: Fatherly Advice


After thanking the pilots for a comfortable – well, sort of, the discomfort was not their fault – flight and saying good bye to my two travelling companions, my new father and I load my bags in the back of his truck and depart.  It is only 4pm, so Major Jeffers decides to give me a tour of the Air Force Base and Army Post before heading for home.  He explains that I need to know my way around. 

The Base and Post are next to each other and share a few facilities like the hospital and base exchange – known as the BX – a large store where military people can get things cheaper than in town. The setting is stunning.  The two installations are covered in birch forests and there are mountains on the east border and an ocean inlet to the west.  There are still large patches of snow on the mountains.

As we drive around, Major Jeffers – Dad – is all business, giving me a running commentary about what we are seeing.  He also explains the rules regarding, and expectations of, military dependents.  He quizzes me on what he is telling me, just to make sure that it is all sinking in.

So far, I am only seeing the officer in Major Jeffers.  Neither of us quite knows how to become family, or if we even want to given the short time we have together.  Part of the problem is that we both know that I can't really talk about my past and I am here today and gone tomorrow, so to speak.  It is hard to get to know someone without actually knowing about them and relationships take time to develop.  Time is something that we don't seem to have much of and real relationships are not mission critical.

After an hour of touring, we leave the Post and head towards the Jeffers' home.  Along the way he tells me the names of the parts of the town.  Apparently every segment of town has its own name. He explains that I need to know something about the area in case someone quizzes me.

"Who will know anything about Alaska?" I ask.

"You'd be surprised," he replies. "With all the military, oil, fishing, and tourism people that pass through, there are lots of people in the 'Lower 48' with a working knowledge of the area.  While only about six hundred thousand people live in the state, there are about 3 million people outside of Alaska who have lived here for at least a short time.  I run into them all the time whenever I go down south. Also, people seem to be very curious about the northern wilderness so you need to be able to tell them a little bit about it. As I understand it, your cover story has it that you have lived here for six years, so you certainly ought to know something about the area."

By the time we get to the house, I am pretty sure that my new Dad is a decent guy – he is definitely friendly.  I hope that he is thinking similar thoughts about me, though as a girl, rather than a guy.

Their home is a large two story wooden framed house up on a mountain side overlooking the city.  It sits on two acres of birch forested land.  It is very upscale and nice.

As we pull into the driveway, Dad says, "I should warn you that my niece has been like a cat on a hot tin roof ever since Amanda Quinn called Jen this morning.  I get the feeling she is not looking forward to your arrival. I don't know what is going on between you two, but you should be aware that you're going into a minefield.  You seem like a nice girl and so is she. Whatever it is, I hope that you two can get past it.  Unfortunately, we aren't going to give you much time to work on it tonight; the schedule is pretty full. When you do get time to work things out, let me know if you need a referee.  I've some experience working with soldiers who must work together when they have issues, so maybe I can help."

"Ah... Major Jeffers," I begin, "Laurie and I have been friends for a while now, and something has just come to light that calls that friendship into question." A major understatement. "I hope we can work it out too, but I have my doubts.  She needn't worry that I will rip her head off or anything. I'm sure that we can be civil about this but I am having trouble seeing where this will end up. Also, I've learned a few things in the last twenty-four hours that are in her favor.  I'll try to be nice.  Really I will.  And thanks for the offer for help.  Hopefully we can take care of this on our own."

"I hope so too, Princess," he says, "just remember my offer."

Princess? Where did that come from?

Seeing the shocked and confused look on my face, he laughs, "I always thought that if we had a daughter that that is what I would call her.  In our short time together, I can see that the title would fit you well. You are very well mannered, intelligent, and easy to be around in addition to being pretty. Let's get you inside to meet the rest of your new family."

I think that I just received a compliment.

If it wasn't for Laurie's presence, I would be looking forward to this.

The Major takes my two suitcases while I follow behind with my new-to-me computer bag, purse and backpack.

As we approach the front door opens, seemingly on its own, and a large black Labrador Retriever comes bounding out followed closely by a tall boy a couple of years older than me.  This must be Tom, my new brother. The dog, practically knocks me over in his enthusiasm to check out the stranger.

"Hey, Max, down, boy," Tom shouts as he grabs Max's collar and pulls him back. "Sorry about that. Max likes to make new friends. You must be Kristina, you look like one of us.  Nice to meet you."

I nod my head at him in greeting. "And you must be Tom.  I am happy to meet you too."  I probably would have stuck out my hand to shake his if my hands weren't full.  I catch myself in the thought and try to figure what a girl would do.  A friendly little finger wave seems appropriate.  I've seen girls do that before.  I'll have to remember that next time.

"Why don't you help her with her bags?" the Major suggests.

"Sure thing, Dad," he says. "Let me take your computer bag."  I hand it over.

"Come on in." Tom invites us.

By this time Mrs. Mercer–Aunt Jen–and her sister are standing by the door.  They look a lot alike. Definitely sisters.

Aunt Jen takes care of the introduction.  "Polly, meet your new daughter, Kris.  Kris, this is your new mother."

"Hi, Mom," I say.

"Welcome home, Kris," Mother Polly says, smiling. "We've heard a lot about you and are excited to meet you."  I am wondering what she has heard.  I better have a chat with Aunt Jen as soon as possible to find out what the Jeffers know and don't know.

"Come in, come in. Let's get you settled," Mom Polly says as she gives me a hug.

Coming through the doorway into a roomy entry I see Laurie.  She is standing at the far side of the entry looking as if she'd like to be somewhere else. Must be the guilty conscience, I think to myself.  I take this as a good sign. At least she is not haughty about her deception.

"Hi," she says tentatively.

I just nod my head in acknowledgement.

Sensing the tension, Major Jeffers–Dad–asks Tom to take my bags up to my room, then invites us through to the big living room that overlooks the city.

Standing with me in front of the large picture window, he points out the different parts of town and names the various mountains across the inlet to the west.  I get the impression that I am supposed to remember all this.  Unfortunately, it has been long day after a long night and I am getting tired. A lot of the new information just washes over me.

The Major is in charge of the barbecue grill tonight and he invites me to help him out on the deck.  Fresh grilled salmon is on the menu tonight.  The fillet that he puts on the grill looks like it came from a small whale instead of a fish.

"Kris," the Major says, "Jen has told me a little about your assignment. How did you get wrapped up in this?"

How should I answer that question?  Much depends on what he has been told, I guess.  I know that the sex change was not part of their briefing.  The sex change is a very closely held secret.

"Well–," I begin uncertainly, "I was recruited–after a fashion.  Apparently the Lab created a profile for the perfect candidate, then went searching for the right person and they found me. I didn't even know about the job until last night."

He looks at me questioningly.  "That is interesting.  We have known about you for some time now."

"I am told that they have been planning this operation since last summer," I reply. I get the impression that I can trust this man, so I press on, without going into great detail. "Without my knowledge, I have been observed and evaluated all winter.  A little over a week ago was my first exposure to the job. I was thrust into the role for an evening without knowing what was going on.  It happened again last night. It wasn't until the wee hours of this morning that I was told what was happening and given a choice to join the team or back out of what I didn't even know I had walked into."

The Major is a pretty good judge of people.  I guess he senses my displeasure with the recruiting methods, but then again, you'd have to be deaf and blind to miss the messages that I am sending out.

"Testing someone's character in anticipation of a promotion or special assignment without them being aware is a common procedure," he explains. "We do it all the time in my business. It is important to know how a person will react when they don't think that they are under observation. In fact it is said that the true test of a person's character is in what they do when they are away from home and think that no one is looking. A corollary to that is that a person's character comes through when they are exposed to unusual circumstances and have to respond without knowing they are being evaluated. You'd be surprised what some people do when they think that they are away from scrutiny. In my business, we have passed on a number of promising candidates for important assignments because they let themselves down in a character test.  Most of them never knew that they were being evaluated and will never know what opportunities they missed as the result of their character flaws."

"I'm not thrilled with the deception," I state. "It is hard to trust anyone associated with the Lab's security team after this experience."

"And," he observes, "I take it that Laurie was part of the recruitment effort?"

"Yes," I reply flatly.

"I see. You should understand that no one likes to find out that they have been unknowingly under scrutiny – for good or bad – but it is an essential part of the process for determining a person's character," he informs me. "The person being tested must not know that they are being tested in order for a true character test to yield valid results."

Sensing my displeasure with the process, he continues, "As far as trusting the Lab people again goes, as I see it, you have two choices."

This is shaping up to be a man-to-man talk.  I can relate to this. I wonder if the Major knows how to talk to a real girl. I'm sure I don't–yet.

"First," he says, "you can recognize the test, and its associated deception, as a part of the selection process for a trusted position.  If you do, then you will feel honored that you passed the test and move forward.  Sure, you will naturally feel some distrust of the people that put you through the test, but then you will see it from their perspective and be okay with it if you come to believe in what it is that they want you to do.  Particularly since once they know that they can trust you, they won't try deception again unless you give them some reason to distrust you.  They may not tell you everything you want to know, but they won't be deceptive anymore.  You will be one of them. Part of the team.

"Your relationships with the team members will change, because the original ones are facades created to implement the test.  Once you're on the team, those facades drop and you can really get to know the people for who they really are.  You can work at establishing new relationships that can bring you some measure of joy.  Often times, you will find that the new relationships are, in many ways, better than the ones you thought you had during the test.

"Your other choice is to stand on principle, make a stink about it, and lose the opportunity.  You will still have changed relationships with the people that recruited you, but they will be sour and harboring the bad feelings will canker your soul.  Life will be miserable and you won't have a chance to be truly happy.  Standing on principle can cause you all sorts of problems, while there are times that you need to do it, you need to choose those times carefully.  I have seen several people who have gotten their heads blown off, literally and figuratively, by standing on principle."

"But I was intentionally mislead," I point out, standing on principle. "I did make the decision to accept the job based on its merits, but I am still struggling with the way that the recruitment was handled, particularly Laurie's role in it.  I guess I'm feeling hurt that I was misled into thinking things were different than they are between us."

"And how are things between you two?" he asks.

"I don't know," I reply sadly. "We need some time to talk about it."

"Before you do," he says, "I'd like to tell you about a similar lesson that I learned once.  There might be some parallels that could help you sort through your problem with Laurie. This story may help you understand the process for selecting people based on character and why the people who administer the tests do what they do."

I nod to him to show that I am listening.

"I used to be very active in the Boy Scouting program as a teenager," he begins.  Sounds familiar. I'll probably be able to relate to this.  "I attended all sorts of leadership training camps, worked at a scout camp, went to special jamborees, and more.  When our local Council decided to hold a leadership training camp for the younger scouts, the local adult leaders were asked to submit names of highly qualified older scouts to serve on the staff.  After reviewing the list, invitations were extended to twenty-five of us to serve as trainers on the camp staff.  None of us even knew about the camp before we received the invitation to participate.  All of us were extremely qualified and happy that someone thought we were ready for such a job and we were honored to be chosen solely based on the recommendations of those that knew us well.

"A month before the training camp we all took part in a three-day staffing training camp.  Twenty-five young men and four adult leaders were there and it was hard work.  We were put through our paces relative to outdoor skills, taught how to teach and given the script for the actual campout.  Final assignments for positions on the staff were to be announced the morning of the third day.

"At dinner that second night, the scoutmaster for the course announced that, as a reward for our hard work, he was personally springing for an ice cream party that night.  We were pretty thrilled because we felt that we had earned it. It was nice that our work was appreciated.

"We assembled in the mess hall at the camp where our scoutmaster praised our efforts and told us how impressed he was.  Just to make the evening 'fun', he said, he was going to put some rules on the ice cream party.  First of all, we could only take one pass at the ice cream bar.  Second, because he hated wasting his money, we had to eat everything we took before the party was over at 11pm.  He made a big deal out of eating what you take.

"Then he turned us loose.  Each of us was given a large mixing bowl and pointed to four huge tubs of ice cream in popular flavors and toppings of all sorts plus candy of many types.  Added to that were cases of soda pop in many flavors.  It was every teenager's dream.  He constantly reminded us that we would have to eat everything we took so to be wise in our selections.

"Being the greedy teenagers we were, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs. Virtually everyone took more than they could ever eat.  We thought that our scoutmaster was the greatest guy around.

"Once everyone was through the line the adults put away everything that was left over.  Seeing our obvious mistake, the scoutmaster said that he would give five dollars to anyone who could finish their bowl before 11pm.

"The heat was on. At first we all thought that the five dollars was a sure thing.  Within half an hour, all of us had decided that maybe it wasn't such a sure thing.  After the first hour, we all knew that none of us were likely to earn the money.

"When anyone tried to stop the now-evil scoutmaster reminded them that they had agreed to abide by the rules and insisted that they continue.  Most tried.  A few apologized profusely and offered to pay for their treats when they quit, much to the apparent disgust of the scoutmaster. He made everyone who quit feel real bad for not following through. The now-evil scoutmaster had seemed to have turned into someone completely different from the really nice guy we met at the start of the camp. Those that didn't quit at first pushed on, most eventually dropping out before they got sick.  A few were not about to let the scoutmaster win and stupidly and stubbornly pushed on.  Only one earned the five dollars, however, he and two of his best friends spent an hour sitting in the showers puking their guts out and cursing the evil scoutmaster.  What was interesting is that these three were everyone's favorite candidates for the top youth leader positions. They were talented and very accomplished scouts.

"The next day, it was a sorry lot that showed up for breakfast where the staff assignments where announced.  The results were shocking.  The top three leaders were chosen from among the group that had stood up to the scoutmaster when they discovered their mistake."

"What happened to the three top candidates?" I asked.

"They were assigned to run the commissary.  They were not part of the group directly training the boys," he said.

"And where did you end up?" I asked.

"I was assigned to the commissary," he admitted. "I have to tell you, I was pretty upset at being set up, as were my two buddies and many of the other scouts.  One of my buddies dropped out of the camp and I wanted to join him but my parents talked me into seeing it through.  I hated that scoutmaster. I felt that he had been grossly unfair."

"I take it," I observed, "that your opinion changed."

"It did," he said. "One afternoon, during the actual training camp, the two of us worked together on inventory for a couple of hours and we had some time to talk.

"The evil scoutmaster told me why he did what he did.  He was looking for someone he could trust to make good decisions to lead the camp. Someone who knows when they have made a mistake and will find a way to make it right. Someone who knows to seek help when he needs it. Those who had quit early had shown that they were those kind of people. The rest of us let our egos carry us on into an unwise situation. Egotistical bastards, he told me, don't make good leaders. They prove that all the time.

"He pointed out to me that the experience wasn't fun for him either.  He was working with the cream of the crop and he thought highly of all of us.  It was hard, but necessary, to play the role of the hard guy.

"The scoutmaster's dilemma was that if he announced what he was looking for, everyone would have done their best to appear to meet the criteria.  He was also short on time.  He needed a quick way to test our true character without allowing us to try to fool him.  The ice cream party did just that.  Each of us showed our true colors when we thought that we were 'off the clock'.  The scoutmaster was able to see whom he could trust.

"He told me that I could learn from the experience and grow from it, or be like my friend and quit. After that conversation, my scoutmaster was always there to support me when I needed it. He is a great teacher and I have never made the mistake of being arrogant again. I thought a lot about that experience and we have talked about it from time to time over the years. In the end I have come to see that he taught me one of my most valuable life lessons. I look up to the man more than just about anyone else. We have been great friends all these years.  The lesson I learned from him has helped me a lot over the years.

"He took a lot of heat from some parents over his methods, but it worked for me. I'm glad I had the experience.

"I still have the five dollar bill as a reminder of that camp and the lessons that I learned.  It is framed on my office wall as a reminder to not be stupid again," he concluded.

"So," I ask, "what do you want me to learn from this? It isn't exactly like my situation."

"I don't exactly know what your situation is, but you, young lady, were most likely chosen because you are technically qualified to do the job that you were recruited for," he says. "Additionally, it appears that you have proven yourself by some character test to be someone who can be trusted.  If you hadn't passed the character test, you wouldn't be here right now. You should be proud of that accomplishment. The question remains as to whether or not you have what it takes to rise above your dashed expectations, forge new relationships, and find success in fulfilling an important assignment.   The choice is yours. I am interested to see what you do."

The story doesn't exactly fit my situation, but there are some principles there that I really need to think about. I can see the nature of a character test and the need for the deception. But what about me and Laurie? I know that teenage romances don't often work out, but it is nice to think that they might. Is heartache inevitable? Fortunately, we have not gone too far with the relationship or this would hurt even worse. Was she just playing the part all this time? What does she really feel for me? I guess that I will need to find out from her. It appears that we may need to forge a new relationship.

I am committed to the larger project. There is no turning back from that.  I just need to find out how Laurie and I are going to work things out. That part is so confusing right now. I really need some time to think about all this.

I reach up and touch the charm on my necklace and wish that I could go for a long run to sort things out.

The major puts his arm around my shoulder and gives me a squeeze. "In the mean time, Princess, the fish is done," he says with a smile. "Let's go eat."

---< >---

Hey Gabi! Thanks again for your assistance. The story is a lot smoother because of your wonderful touch.

 

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Major Sounds Like A Very Wise Man

jengrl's picture

The Major sounds like a very wise man. Kris has a lot to think about and go over in her mind. I am looking forward to her having it out with Laurie. Laurie knows she did a pretty underhanded thing by deceiving Kris like she did. The important thing is letting her know where they stand in their relationship and rebuilding trust. Laurie definitely has a lot to answer for. They have to work together to complete the mission regardless of how Kris might feel about her. Great story so far!

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Keep up the great work

I am enjoying how this story is progressing. Keep up the good work.

I'd love to see

NoraAdrienne's picture

what the Major would say if he was told, "I used to be Laurie's boyfriend". I can picture his mouth hitting the ground realizing just why the tension between the two "girls" is so high.

Hmm, I don't buy it

But the Major is giving his best, and you could transpose some of what he told as an example, on the situation between Kris and Laurie. Only there is quite a difference between evaluation for an assignment you initially ( could ) have a notion of because you applied for it. Or being evaluated by someone who deliberately sought you out, befriended you, even became romantically involved with you, just so you could be weighed and judged. For something you know nothing about!

In itself the assessment in this vein is coarse, but what must hurt far more is the message it conveys when you stop and think about this: Laurie befriended him only to appraise him.

Anything that developed after that is still build on false pretence.
I would feel betrayed and hurt, and I don't think I'd be able to trust and keep that one close to my heart again.

I wonder if you're planning to re-establish relations between Ch/Kris and Laurie. It's possible of course, you can build reasonably well on morass grounds, you just have to ram very long poles in the ground to use for foundation. Amsterdam has been build on poles, it's still there, after centuries.

Jo-Anne

Unintended consequences

Laurie befriended him only to appraise him.

Laurie contacted him because she was asked to. She accepted her assignment for the same reason Chris accepted his.

What happened after that was simply nature taking its course. Unless she has a great career ahead of her as an actress (or spy,) she became emotionally involved with her job despite knowing it wasn't necessarily a good idea.

So, while the initial contact was due to her assignment, everything after that was real. She may have contacted him to assess him, but she wasn't ordered to develop a bf/gf relationship with him.

(Unless, like I said, she is a really good actress.)

I can see this going two ways. She may end up with the ideal boyfriend/husband that understands the other side because he has walked a mile in her shoes, or she may end up with a BFF (Best Friends Forever) girl friend. Then, they can meet at the coffee shops and chat about their various romantic interests and everything else in life.

I don't see them getting in a huff and fighting about it. Both of them have way too much character to hold grudges.

Of course, there are other possibilities. Things may go FUBAR and the wizards may disappear. Or, maybe Kris will end up with the ability to switch between male and female at will. Maybe the experience will even turn Kris into a magic user.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this story develops.

Ray Drouillard

If I recall

it was mentioned that she DID start dating him and develop the relationship expressly for the purpose of checking Chris out. I think what hurts him is not knowing how much of their relationship was her liking him and how much was just a job for her. From the way it was described, only Chris dumping her would have ended the relationship regardless of her feelings, because the closer she stayed to him the easier the plan could move. She may not even be the same person she acted like to keep his interest.

How chivalrous

Yes, Laurie contacted him because of a request. Not spontaneously, or because she was charmed or enamoured by him, no because he was a job to her. If you can step over things like that so lightly, I think that's mighty grand of you.

Many months passed, passion developed -or so Chris thought this much- and eventually Chris accepted indeed this challenge. You string 'm together like it's no big deal. And goals justify the means, no? *Um, that's rhetorical*

After learning what initially started the relationship, I'd wonder how much, and if any, of the feelings of Laurie for Chris were real. That's a lot of insecurity to build and sustain a relation on. Huffing and fighting over it is hardly the main concern, it's the hurt and questioning -now and for the future- that must be addressed and could forever bar more romantic relations.

There's much more ways this could turn. Kris could end up her girlfriend/wife. Or her best BFF boy friend. Magic's involved so they could merge. Or Laurie age regresses and ends up Kris's baby girl/boy. Or Chris may end up hating Laurie for ever and decide to stay female in order to keep (any?) magic abilities so she can turn Laurie into a dog. Or a boy. Fall in love with him and marry to give many many baby boys. Laurel might understand Kris much better because he has walked so many miles in her shoes.

Jo-Anne

I have to confess ...

... that I found the first few chapters of this story terminally boring, not to say irritating, and almost abandoned it. In fact I only skimmed them. It wasn't until I read a few comments of the later episodes that I began following it in earnest. I'm glad I did. Even though I still think the beginning is weak it is now becoming a much more intriguing story and I'm sure I'll follow the rest with enthusiasm.

I quite liked the major's story about his Scout Leader's selection methods even though it was slightly flawed. I like ice cream but not so much that I'd be tempted to pig out on it. If I'd been there I'd have only taken sufficient to eat myself and I'd have won the $5 without a problem. That comes from being a war baby and being told not to waste food :) Would I, or someone like me, have passed the test or not? However it made a good parable to help Kris work out her issues with her former girlfriend. I don't wish to second guess the writer but I'd bet a tub-full of Scout ice cream that Kris and Laurie settle their difficulties and become very good friends.

Present tense is a difficult tense to write in and I don't usually like it at all. It says a lot to the flow of the narrative here that I hardly noticed it. Thanks

Geoff

It really happened.

TiffQ's picture

Just so you know, the ice cream story is based on an actual experience that a scout leader friend put his scouts (including my son) through. The story is pretty much how it happened.

Tiff Q

Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Tiff Q

Worked very well in this story

It's nothing like what I expected this chapter to be, but I really like the Ice Cream story and it works very well at this point in the plot. Good choice.

I'm not surprised.

Daphne Xu's picture

I'm not surprised.

-- Daphne Xu

Ice-cream as a lesson? Who knew?

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Tiff,

I eagerly await the confrontation (?) between Kris and Laurie. I do NOT anticipate any sparks will fly, in any way. (Rats) But, that is is merely my poor, sick, perverted, disgusting libido speaking.

Good stuff here!! Thanks hon.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Either or?

The major's "wisdom" seems to amount to accept that you've been screwed and you're alright, reject it and you're not. Principles are not supposed to be flexible like that. They are supposed to be a guide to doing whatever it is you do. Not to be discarded whenever it's convenient. Sounds kinda like the advice to lie back and enjoy it if you know you are going to be raped.

And did anybody else notice the major putting a lie to what Chris was told, that they had to rush it up, all last minute and all. "That is interesting. We have known about you for some time now." Even now the lab people are lying to him. His parents are, also. Be a cold day in hell before I went home for a visit, were I him.

Chris should "man up" and do the job with his eyes wide open and trusting no-one, especially Laurie.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Character Test

Something else occurred to me. The character test cuts both ways. Testing Chris's character also revealed Laurie's character. Only she doesn't come out looking so good. As noted elsewhere, "the ends justify the means" doesn't rank very well as a reason to do things.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Principles

tigger's picture

I believe that Dorothy L. Sayers, by way of Lord Peter Wimsey, expressed the belief that 'Principles' are awful things that get other people killed for the sake of them. I've never believed in the absolute 'rightness' of a principle because in my experience, they are as subjective as any other human idea. Churchill said something to the effect that war was defined by times when honorable men had to perform dishonorable acts for the greater good. That's why there are reconstructionist historians who espouse the belief that dropping the atom bomb was 'unnecessary' and merely a political ploy to control Stalin. My dad, on the other hand, who had just fought his way up the 'boot' in Italy with the US Fifth Army and was about to embark on transports to begin training for the invasion of the Japanese home islands had absolutely no doubt about the necessity and ultimate benefit of using the bomb to bring that war to a quicker end. Whose principle is correct? Both and neither, probably, but neither side would ever see or agree to that compromise of their principle.

The issue here, I think, is whether failure to tell 'all the truth' is a lie? In the security game, this is called 'need-to-know' and it is the most carefully protected aspect of any covert operation. As a retired military officer, I have no problem with the major's statements because it is completely consistent with how this type of operation would be planned and implemented.

The major has known about the mission for an as-yet undetermined 'some time'. Probably for longer than Kris and/or Laurie has, but not for as long as the mission has been in planning. Setting up his part of it required more foreknowledge - he had to agree for his family to participate, had to agree to 'cover' the agent and had to know what to tell his family, his neighbors, his colleagues and superiors, etc., and why.

The one person who MIGHT know everything at this point is Laurie's Mom, which is why she's on scene to see the final preparations and to guide Kris' integration into the project while at the same time making sure the logistics involving the Major are in place and will not endanger the project.

Having said all that, Kris should be very sparing of the trust in all this, but he's too young to know that - probably another reason for selecting a minor to undertake the mission. Operations like this fail because someone who ought to know better decides that someone else doesn't have the need-to-know and withholds that information from the operators at the pointy end of the spear. The only ones who know this sad fact, in this story are Laurie's Mom, who is likely the REMF who will withhold the data, and the Major, who isn't likely to think he needs to impart this bit of wisdom to Kris.

Tiggs

Good point

I agree that principles are subjective to a greater or lesser degree, even though most members of a culture or civilization would agree on many of them. But the purpose of principles is to give the holder of them a framework for their life, something to help them make the choices and decisions - both simple and hard. Here I stand, these are my beliefs, this is the way I will be. A person who is willing to alter their principles depending on a situation, no regrets, is a person who can not be trusted. You can not rely on them.

Another thought I had, I wonder what the major was told, and in turn told his family, about this "new" daughter that suddenly turns up. It was mentioned earlier that "Kris" bears more than a passing resemblance to Laurie. How was this strong family resemblance explained? Obviously the major is aware that "Kris" is the age she looks, the whole nature of her recuitment doesn't allow for the time to perform plastic surgery on her, much less the time to heal after such surgeries.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Principles

There are principles, and there are moral certitudes (I know that's a bad name to some, but I can't think of a better name at the moment.)

Principles are guidelines -- sort of like traffic rules. You may have a strong stance that speeding is a Very Bad Thing, but you'll do it anyway if your spouse is having a heart attack and you are driving him/her to the hospital. If you are an ambulance driver, you even have official authorization to break those rules.

"Don't kill humans" is a very strong principle. "Thou shalt not murder" is a moral certitude. While I would hate to ever be put into the position of having to kill someone, I would do it to defend my family. When I was in the military, I had no qualms about what I was trained to do. I didn't like it, but I was willing to do what is necessary for the common good.

Ray Drouillard

Interesting,

An interesting story and a novel reason to transform someone MtoF. I personally can't get too excited about Ch/Kris's broken romance. That's probably because I've never had a great, trouble free, relationship myself. I can understand how a teenaged boy could be hurt by a seemingly faked romance they he thought was real. Teenagers do usually have a number of romances and I guess, if they are mentally healthy, they keep trying and the next romance is the cure for the last one.

There is something else. Remember the phrase: the ends do not justify the means? This moral statement was obviously completely forgotten by many of the Bush II administration. In fact, I've heard that some of the worse offenders will not leave the US now because they could be arrested anywhere (outside the US) and held for trial on Crimes Against Humanity; torture, war crimes etc. OK, back to my topic.

I think that the military and para-military organizations like the boy scouts often cross the line regarding "the ends do not justify the means". This is exactly opposite the philosophy of "do unto others what you would have them do unto you". It doesn't count if one says "well, if this were a crisis or emergency, etc. then it would be OK if someone did this to me....." IMHO this is not correct. It's like someone is out shopping, there's no reason that anything bad should happen and then someone else lies to the shopper and makes er believe that someone e loves has just died. Or the someone else assaults er or cons er into some scary, embarrassing and grueling task. These are things that may be illegal and that almost no one would want done to er. The moral stance is not to do any of these kind of things to anyone else.

I don't mean that one should not try to get someone else to do something hard or painful or scary or embarrassing. One should just be honest. I've done endurance athletics for the last 40 some years. I've made myself hurt badly and damaged parts of my body. I would be outraged if someone else caused me that level of pain and damage, but I did it to myself with free will because I wanted to.

As usual, I suspect that this isn't very clear, but I hope someone gets what I'm trying to express.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

I am an Eagle Scout ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... and have been involved in Scouting all my life. There are many, many wonderful things about the BSA, and I am certainly proud to have been a member and of being an Eagle. That said, the BSA is also an example of slitting ones own throut by standing on principal. Look how much talent they are ignoring by their anti-gay stand. My guess would be that the anti would be TG also. I have been tempted a number of times to walk into our council office as Jezzi wearing my Eagle badge, my file folder full of excellent Scouting job reviews in hand, and see what happens.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Not the only Scouts...

Try the Girl Scouts, who aren't infected by the virulent hatred of gays and other sexual minorities in the Scouting movement, nor are Scouting organisations for boys in most civilised countries similarly narrow-minded.

I understand that a lot of this comes from certain well-known religious groups, recently in the news for anti-gay activities.

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

I'm not sure about America

...but in Canada the Boy Scouts are co-ed (above a certain age) whereas the Girl Guides are female only. If America has the same system, then I suspect TG kids would have better luck with the Boy Scouts. That's pure speculation, though....

It would not be worth the pain.

I had donated thousands of hours to my local Church in Hillsboro, Oregon. I'd done much work for others to help them on those Saturday Projects. All that was ignored the day I walked into church in a Skirt Suit. What was I thinking?

Half-truths and Lies.....

We're starting to see a lot of things that should agree, not agree and if Kris can put 2+2 together, (s)he'll see them and really start to question/mis-trust many people.

"Welcome home, Kris," Mother Polly says, smiling. "We've heard a lot about you and are excited to meet you."

Kris got that one right! Better talk with Aunt Jen.

He looks at me questioningly. "That is interesting. We have known about you for some time now."

"I am told that they have been planning this operation since last summer,"

That doesn't fit with Chris's involvement at all and it certainly flies in the face of what the Labs' people, including his parents and Mrs. Harris have maintained about it being a rushed job with no time to explain at a more leisurely pace prior to his sex-change, as they all claim was the indended plan.

Does this mean Chris' parents have known since the beginning? Considering their son was the intended target for recruitment, I would probably say it's a good guess. His parent's probably even contributed quite a bit to Chris' 'profile', which would mean early involvement in the planning or at least once Chris' was even considered for evaluation.

Amanda even gave Chris the line at the hotel, about how she hoped to back out, but things had gone too far, too fast. Touching, but not convincing. They had the full week between Kris' intial appearance and the hotel, to 'brief' Chris.

Marla was only a minor player in the game. However, she had to be brought in well in advance of Kris' initial appearance and told of the change - if nothing else, to prevent her from 'freaking out'. It's questionable if she could've done anything to clue Chris in, but the fact she knew, puts her in with all the other guilty parties.

If Kris is putting this together, (s)he must be fumming at the betrayal and lack of trust of his own family.

As is stated in another comment, we can safely assume Mrs. Mercer was in from the beginning and we know Laurie was involved at least from the winter months. Granted in her case, she wasn't told much, but it already has been mentioned by Amanda(?)that Laurie figured out quite a lot on her own, which surprised her mother. Kris' question of 'trust vs Laurie', we know about.

Speaking of Laurie, one wonders what thoughts were going through her mind with Kris' (cold) greeting? Going to be an interesting family dinner.

"Hi," she says tentatively.

I just nod my head in acknowledgement.

Somehow I thought they were staying a week in Alaska, althought we don't know, do we? One question raised with this chapter, is since Laurie and her mom are at the Jeffers, are they staying there as well? That may not help the tension ... especially if the two girls share a room.

Final point... Kris stated she's already tired when 'Dad' was pointing out the city - information overload. However the story states..

Unfortunately, we aren't going to give you much time to work on it tonight; the schedule is pretty full.

... wonder what else they plan for Kris - more likely to keep her off-balance as the Lab people have so often admitted doing to her.

These are all points that Kris may well be considering.

PB

Relationships come and go...

but then there are those relationships that do change for the better good. I have been in a few of those, and even though the roamntic part didn't work for us, we are still friends.

The major is very wise, and has taught Kris a very valuable lesson, even though she doesn't know it yet. And I have a feeling that Kris and Laurie will work out their differences. I am hoping that after this mission is over, Kris stays the beautiful girl she is. Thanx for a wonderful story so far, Tiff.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Kris' future?

I am hoping that after this mission is over, Kris stays the beautiful girl she is.

Given the nature of BC, I can also see Kris remaining after a less than satisfactory return to Chris Quinn. However, remaining the girl she is now would mean she'd stay with the Jeffers and an entire life would have to be constructed, school records, etc., whereas transformed to Kris Quinn would by comparison, be a lot less complicated for people like Joe at the Labs, in terms of creating a new life. Simple spelling alteration & 'sex' on existing 'officialdom'.

Kris made the comment to Dr. Quinn upon her departure from Travis AFB, that she'd like to stay a Quinn when it's all over. If this turns out to be the case and Chris does choose to remain female, Kris Quinn would likely be genetically related to the Quinns in the same manner that Kris Jeffers is current genetically related to the Jeffers/Mercers. (It has been stated that her appearance is close to that of Laurie.)

Mind you, it might be a bit of poetic justice that the Quinns loose their youngest child due to their questionable actions. Kris just might find a more loving & trustworthy environment with the Jeffers.

PB

Chris

I am hoping that after this mission is over, Kris stays the beautiful girl she is.

I hope Chris is able to go back to being who he is - Chris. There was no sign that he had any gender problems, other than an unfortunate case of Pedestalitis, and that should be cured when he realizes how badly the women in his life have abused his trust. The problem now is more likely to be him being permanently damaged in his ability to have a trusting and loving relationship with a woman, any woman.

Ideally, Chris will survive mentally until the end and makes a successful transition back to his male body. Then he should get his high school diploma and get the hell away from these people, even if it means he has to work 2 or more part-time jobs to put himself through college. Tell mom and dad and Laurie and her mother, oh yes, and all the people at the Lab, to "Kiss My Ass! I'm outta here! Don't call, don't write, don't try to contact me."

If I were him, I would also "fail" to detect any problem at the Lab, as long as I could be sure they'd still keep their word and turn me back male at the end of the summer. "Sorry, guess you were wrong about me." Give them the ol' Sgt Shultz routine, "I know nothing, no-thing". Of course, them keeping their word is kinda problematic. :-(

Oh, yeah, the major is full of shit.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Kris?

Ideally, Chris will survive mentally until the end and makes a successful transition back to his male body.

That's one of the problems. The 'Wizards' have proven that Kris can return physically to Chris, but nobody is answering Kris's question "can the mind return". Notice how Mrs. Harris dismissed Kris even inquiring if all this will affect her mentally when she returns to being Chris - in the previous chapter? Amanda did the same thing at the hotel.

I'd tend to say 'no' mentally, the transition back to male will be unsuccessful.

Chris' brain seems to be constantly evolving to female since his first transformation, but at a slower rate. My reason for this is:

When Kiris made her initial appearence at the store, Chris' brain kept screaming at him (quite often) while Kris. Over time, Tiff had Chris' brain screaming less frequently. After 4hrs, Chris physically returned, BUT....

For the next week, Chris did his exams, but he felt he was being 'programmed' all the time. Laurie even noticed as Chris, he still noticed girls, but in the way another girl might... fashion, makeup, etc. She didn't question it, but encouraged it by talking to him as if he was a girl. His attitude towards his sister & mother changed to a more 'considerate' brother/son inexplicably.

When Kris re-emerged in the beauty salon, Tiff had Chris' brain central be very comfortable with things. In a nutshell, over the span of a week, Chris' brain found less & less to object to as Kris & his thought processes/logic took on a more feminine presence ... even when Chris had returned to his male self.

From that, I'd say his brain is constanly evolving to a fully female brain & now that he's 'locked in' as Kris for the summer.....

It has been stated the mission does have a timeline in that Chris Quinn will return - either after the leak has been plugged or August.. whichever comes first. I suspect the August timeline is to allow Chris to complete high school as Chris.

However, will it be Chris or Chris with Kris' brain? I suspect the latter & that's why I also think Chris will eventually opt to be Kris (either Jeffers or Quinn). How Laurie will figure into it if Kris becomes permanent, I dunno... but Tiff will let us know.

I wonder if Kris will use Chris' geekness to modify the cell phone & the laptop to get rid of the 'big brother' funtions that will record conversations & GPS, even when they're apparently 'off'?

I also have concerns over the pre-loaded music on both the cell & the laptop. If for nothing else, Kris should delete them since she admitted that she doesn't listen to that style of music (probably suggested by Laurie and/or Marla) & get herself something like an IPod with her own music. Accepting pre-loaded music files from the Labs is kind of like women leaving unattended drinks at a club.

Once Kris does that, she then shouldn't accept any music offered from any other source other than retail & then only for the IPod. Leave music files off any device the Labs could influence.

I agree, this experiance of betrayal & mistrust, will affect Chris/Kris for the rest of their life & (s)he should get away from the Quinn's & the Mercer's as soon as possible.

PB

Chris/Kris

Well, if I were Chris and couldn't make a sucessful transition back, it wouldn't really matter what kind of relationships I could have afterwards, I'd be on Death Row for multiple murders - Mom, Dad, Marla, Mrs. Mercer, Laurie, and Mrs. Harrison, to start off with.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

The fugitive

I suspect you're not the only one...

PB

even iwithout magical compulsions . .

tigger's picture

chris will be the result of both kris and chris because she/he has the experiences and feelings and learning opportunities of both. . . the only way he's ONLY one or the other is if the magic overrides that, or if his memory of having been Kris is wiped magically. Which, btw, knowing security/spook types as i do, that would be their favored ending to all this - and they'd include Mom, dad, sis and Laurie in the forgetfulness spell.

Not to mention the fact that the spooks won't want to create a very motivated assassin looking for their blood - Kris is still a very coordinated, intelligent and athletic person with the ability to focus. Most chair warmers would not want someone like that hunting them.

All in all, whether Chris grows from having been Kris will depend on whether or not he feels betrayed (or is betrayed). If he really is all that mature, he'll grow regardless.

Biting your nose...

to spite your face.

If Kris is truly convinced that his loved ones are out to get him, leaving would be the right thing to do.

Still, while the arguments have some merit, I don't see Kris being convinced that the people who have raised and loved him all his life suddenly have it in for him.

Occum's razor says to look for the simplest explanation. There is also the principle that you shouldn't attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence (or some other less vile explanation.)

It would take more than a few suspicions to make me believe that my loving family has suddenly turned on me. I'm not into conspiracy theories. Also, if Kris believes that everyone is out to get her, reacts accordingly, and turns out to be wrong; she has made a huge mistake. If she (cautiously and quietly) gives everyone the benefit of the doubt, and turns out to be wrong, she hasn't really lost anything.

I guess I'm sensitive to this because I have made the mistake of going off half-cocked and screwing things up. I'm currently trying to teach my oldest son (who has Asperger's) to not do the same thing.

Ray Drouillard

If it walks like a duck

And quacks like a duck, then . . . IMHO, the evidence is already very strong that his "loved ones" have at the very least been manipulating him for their own purposes. I dunno what Tiff intended for us to take from the previous scenes, but what I see is that they have an agenda of their own that doesn't necessarily have his ultimate good in mind.

Honestly, I can't imagine a parent who truely loves their child agreeing to do this to the child, a MINOR child, let us not forget. (I believe he is not yet 18, as I recall.) To put him through this without so much as a by-you-leave tells me that they rank the "Lab" higher in priority than their child's safety. Certainly it is no more perpostrus than things that have happened in real life, such as the man in Austria who kept his daughters locked up in the basement and fathered several children by them.

So no, I don't think this is an overreaction. I think Chris (I refuse to address him as "Kris", he is a male and never wanted to be female) is a victim of people who are putting their concerns ahead of his well-being.

Oh, it's "Cutting off your nose". ;-)

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

See your point - offer a counterpoint

tigger's picture

Withheld -

I take your point about the parents, but would offer the counter-argument that it is not the Lab, perhaps, but the issue of National security and the potential harm to an undetermined number of innocents due to the uncontrolled release of these 'secrets'. I mean, people do allow their minor children to join the army (mom and/or dad has to okay enlistment for kids who are not yet 18) because the kid says yes (usually without really knowing all the facts because they can't), she/he wants/will/needs to do it.

Not saying you are wrong, or that self preservation is not part of Mom and Dad's thinkiing, but just that it is more complex than "gotta keep my project online or lose my funding".

Tiggs

Boy/Girl

Kris is all girl because she has a girl's brain. She still has sixteen years of boy memories. When she is turned back, he'll have a boy's brain, sixteen years of boy memories, and three months of girl memories. The girl memories will be more recent and vivid, so he may be disoriented for a few days or weeks.

Yes, he will be changed. I'm not the same person I was when I was sixteen, or even a few months ago. To live is to change.

I can't see how he can help but change for the better -- as long as his trust isn't destroyed. Even then, he'll be stronger (if much less happy.)

Ray Drouillard

But...

As I mentioned in another comment, Chris' brain did not return after his intial transformation.

Think of it this way... his brain never transformed with the body. In the chapters that spanned the week between both female transformations,
the story demonstrated how his brain accepted the M2F transformation.

During the shopping trip, Chris' 'brain central' was constantly screaming at him as the women did their thing to him. That pace of 'alerts' started to slow as the 4-hour limit neared.

During the week Chris was around to write exams, even Laruie noticed his thought processes become more female as demonstrated by his noticing of girls as a male would, but for their fashion and make-up. Even Chris had a feeling he was constantly being 'programmed' during this time.

At the beauty salon, Chris' 'brain central' was almost, if not, completely silent with it's 'alerts' signifying Chris' acceptence of the female thoughts and feelings.

I suggest, initiated by the initial transformation, Chris' brain slowly and continously 'rewired' itself until completely changed, over time as demonstrated by his gradual acceptance, even when he was Chris. After all, the brain is the most complex orgin to be involved in the transformation and as such, doesn't transform as quickly as the rest of the physical body.

I further suggest the 'additional programming' Chris suspected during the week he was Chris, was actually the process of his male brain continuing to rewire itself to a female brain and not any 'subliminal programming' courtesy of the Labs.

Now, assuming that's correct and Kris' brain has been completely 'rewired' as female by the time the mission ends, then yes, I would agree the brain SHOULD start to return to male when Chris does... but why didn't it when Chris returned for the week between transformations, or at least call a halt to the 'female rewiring' process? Could it be that the 'rewiring' process can't be halted/reversed in what's essentially mid-transformation? If this be the case, yes, Chris shuld have a male brain given time after she reverts back.

I do agree with Ray, that memories are probably unaffected - but thought processes and points of view are(?), so for a period of time after Chris reappears in August, he'll still be acting and thinking 'female'.

Amanda's explanation at the hotel, seemed to glance over the mental aspects. Was it she wasn't versed in that area or the Labs' research just didn't know - which would add 'human-testing' to Kris's function.

However, a further clarification came from Susan Harris on the flight to Anchorage, telling Chris why they needed someone with his 'male' mental abilities to go ito the mission as female. That implied they were under the impression that Chris' mental make-up, would not be lost as Kris.

In regards to trust, at this point in the story, I think there's little doubt that Kris' trust in those she considered as 'loved ones' has been shredded and all but completely ripped from her.

PB

But...

The 'additional programming' that went on during the intervening week was likely brain central's attempt to process what had happened. I'm familiar with that process because I have had weird experiences that have taken multiple days to process and sort out. In fact, I have read fiction that has preyed upon my mind.

When something totally outside your experience happens, your brain is going to either reject it, or it's going to process it.

As for trust...

While most of the people commenting here believe that Kris's trust should be shredded, it appears that it hasn't been. I agree that many (maybe most) people would have spazzed out. Whether or not trust has been shattered, the experience itself is enough to send someone 'round the bend.

On the other hand, Chris was carefully selected and evaluated. He was chosen because he was unlikely to spaz out. His trust in his family remains mostly unmarred, though his trust in his girlfriend is definitely on hold -- awaiting further information.

There is also the point where he felt that he could trust the Major. That indicates some ability to read character.

Ray Drouillard

Mental alterations

I hesitate to mention this, but the profiles also showed that your personality might feel comfortable as either sex, with slight adjustments.

I somehow missed this previously, but that is a very telling admission. Particularly since Mrs. Harrison had just claimed that there was no mental conditioning. Although her phrasing: "Not to my understanding," she replies. does suggest she might have maintained a level of 'plausible deniability' about exactly how much Chris was altered. And there is the following comment: The new brain structure and the female hormones flooding your body may also have some impact on your transition. So no, I don't buy that Chris's brain was just integrating the experiences in a normal fashion.

Another thought, is Chris now bisexual? Or maybe even lesbian? And what is Laurie's sexual preference? Mrs. Harrison did say that Laurie had figured out more than she was supposed to. Does she prefer her cousin "Kris"?

Oh, and Ray, honorable men (such as Major Jeffers) can do dishonorable things from the highest of motives. The oath a military officer takes has a definite hierarchy of priorities.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Re: Trust?

They're asking Kris to blindly trust them, yet the very people who claim to love and trust him (and are the major players in the project), have repeatedly shown they don't. Trust is a 2-way street.

The Major spoke of changing relationships once you're a firm member of the team. Even if Kris finally finds out the why's and wherefores with the others becoming more 'open', I think the feelings of mistrust and betrayal for all those involved will never leave him/her and may well influence Chis/Kris for the remainder of his/her life in all future relationships, no matter if of a personal or business nature.

PB

Their own agenda...

... is about the only way you can describe it. How many realise that even Marla, who only had a minor role as cashier and shopper, had to know more about Chris' transformation and agenda to act as calm and as cool as she did when helping (plus obviously knowing what was to happen based upon her behaviour around Chris, the following week), than he did!

They also maintain Kris is only a cog in the wheel to plug the leak, yet with all to this fuss and trouble to establish a cover story, it would appear that Kris is the lynch-pin of the entire operation. Surely, the opposition wouldn't bend-over backwards trying to chase down the life story of a small-cog.

The Labs had lied about everything else, including the story given to Jen's own relatives (they knew abow Kris for a LONG time?), why not Kris' importance to the mission? Could that put Kris in danger, even though (s)he was told that (s)he'd be so insignificant that it would never happen?

PB

Don't Trust Anyone

Is anyone actually looking out for Chris’s long term well being? He, a minor (16), is being put into an undercover role with national security implications. The people he is being used to find are apparently stealing weapon technology or other high value information and supplying it to non-friendly groups or nations. The people they are after or those behind them would have no second thoughts about killing anyone who gets in their way. This is not the “low danger” mission that they have described.

Everyone, family, supposed friends and the lab have lied to him or kept him in the dark and cannot be trusted not to do so in the future. I suspect that to the lab he is a resource (disposable asset) to use as long as he is useful to them and then discard when they no longer need him or fail to protect if it is inconvenient to help him. Loyalty in these situations is a one way street. They (the lab, government, company, etc) expect it of you, the individual but return none when the going gets tough (just look at the current unemployment roles).

The major’s story is very good but it is one thing to secretly evaluate someone for a military job who is already in the military. Chris hadn’t knowingly agreed to anything in advance and has been given no opportunity to give an “informed consent” after an opportunity to CAREFULLY weigh the evidence.

In another matter, how long has the lab been using the magic involved? Do we actually know that there is no long term harm or unintended after effects?

Michelle B

I agree...

Witheld's statment regarding long-term effects is precisely what I meant with the phrase 'human tests' in an earlier post.

Michelle_B mentions Chris not being allowed to carefully consider all his option.

I just want to add to that, that Chris, a civilian minor, is now thrust into a National Security operation (expendable or otherwise) without signing anything, taking any oaths, undergoing a security check or getting a security clearance let alone undergoing any training other than how to be a girl.

The only thing he did get was a verbal "are you agin us or with us?" from Mrs. Harris before launching into a classified briefing. Oh,yeah, that and the choice of agreeing to continue the mission, after all the changes (incl. the ones done at the beauty salon) were complete!

As an aside... I'd like to know what Mrs. Harris would have done if Kris decided to answer in the negative to her question. They were already airborne for Alaska and she had been examined by the military doctor. Headed back and 'unlocked Kris' from her transformation, halting the mission? Somehow, I doubt it. Probably taken the attitude 'Sorry, you lose! We've gone too far to back out. You're in it, like it or not'.

With the admitted forgone conclusion of acceptance based on 'her' profile, I doubt they even had a second candidate lined up should Chris refuse, as they claimed. That would explain the need to get Chris on the mission at any cost.

If I was Chris, that would tell me that I was mission-critical - so if I wanted, a little resistance to the 'training' or information gathering would really send a message to her 'handlers' and what could they do about it? Forcing or threatening Kris would only worsen the situation.

Both parents, knowingly and willingly offered/sacrificed Chris for a position as you quite clearly point out, could very well be expendable. Even if they don't loose Chris to lasting effects from the transformation or his williness to leave them in anger after the mission ... they were/are prepared to loose him to the mission.

If that's not putting your job ahead of your family, what is? That isn't parental love by any stretch of the imagination. Patriotism and the sacrificing of an unknowing third party, doesn't even justify their actions. That's just out and out rejection of their child, of their son in favour of their paycheck and furthering their career at his expense!

I honestly think, they didn't even believe the stuff they told Chris about about being reunited with their son in August.

I think since Kris is no dummy, that conclusion will be easily reached as she hears more 'unrelated' conversational tidbits and puts them into the puzzle. I can also easily see the romance continue between Laurie and Kris (or Chris?) long before I see a calming of the riff between the child and the parents.

If anything happens to Kris during the mission and can't return to the Quinns as Chris, they'll have no choice but to conjoure up a 'new' Chris in August to maintain family appearences, either that or let the girls know they now have a sister. This would require Tiffany to be fully briefed because whether they tell her or Kris does, she will know.

If in a worse-case scenario, Kris becomes a statistic of the mission, imagine the resentment of Tiffany and Marla towards the parents considering the the argueable circumstances of his recruitment. I don't think Amada or Dr. Quinn could handle that.

OTOH, it would be very easy to find and slip in a 'replacement' for their son/brother into the family without knowledge of the girls. Precedent had already probably been established when Dr. Quinn and 'Chris' left for Scout Camp.

If Tiffany had returned from College for the summer, more than likely both sisters were home for the evening/night their brother was busy at the beauty salon. A double transformation could've been done in Chris' room, while the girls were asleep but even if they saw 'Chris' in the early morning, it would appear to Tiffany, he was off to Scout Camp, while Marla would think he was leaving to start on the mission under the pretense of the Scout Camp, unaware Kris was already at the hotel with Mrs. Quinn.

Might be a bit more difficult for the 'new' Chris in school though - to match the academic level of the 'old' Chris. Probably (falsely) ease the conscience of the parents, as well - the Quinn family would be complete to all appearences.

PB

Major Dad Was

Trying to help out, but he was not changed as she was. Question is, will this adventure cause her to want to stay as a girl? I doubt that they have a plan in case that happens. And is Laurie willing to accept her as a friend ? Or is she simply acting?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Manipulations

Daphne Xu's picture

In one session, "Daddy" tries to impart a whole mound of information about the base and the region, so that Kris can pose plausibly. For me, I'd feel as if I were juggling a few dozen things, and many would slip my mind. (I have a short-term memory issue, where at some point, I've suddenly realized I've forgotten something I was trying to keep in mind.)

Tom: "Let me take your computer bag." Kris hands it over. Am I reading too much into this? This might be just the thing a professional magician or double agent might suggest off-handedly.

"Daddy" and testing someone: "First, you can recognize the test, and its associated deception, as a part of the selection process for a trusted position. If you do, then you will feel honored that you passed the test and move forward." That, of course, includes pretending to be the subject's girlfriend. There is something invalid and manipulative about this argument. Kris might be like me, and at a loss how to refute it. Those people could just as well be villains. Even if not -- well, he was manipulated.

-- Daphne Xu

I have to wonder

Wendy Jean's picture

What character test she passed?