Gaining Traction. Chapter 3 of 9

Printer-friendly version

Part 3

We went back to the caravan to get the sleep we needed. It had been a very big day. Mum wanted some pictures of the three of us before we changed. She laughed and said that we looked old enough to go out to work.

It was a difficult thing to get out of our outfits. All three of us didn’t want to shed our new look. Angelica was very quiet; I think that the enormity of what had happened today was closing in on her. As for us, both of us didn’t want to remove the patina of total femininity. We sat in the van and talked quietly about the future. Janine and I had to go back to school in a few weeks, looking like girls, no matter how we dressed. Angelica had a year to go before she could leave, I was sure that she would have a job in entertainment and would have a gap year, or two, before going to university. We did, eventually, remove the clothes and make-up and get into our nighties for bed. I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

We all slept late on Saturday, and dragged ourselves to the ablutions tent a little after nine. The others were already running the ride and had fired up the traction engines. We managed to get some breakfast in the food tent, served up by a few smiling ladies who told us that we put on a hell of a show. After that, we walked around the site, catching up with our parents and having a look at some of the other exhibits. Everywhere we went, we were greeted with big smiles and made very welcome. We were given battered hot dogs for being us and didn’t have to pay for the soft drinks that were thrust our way.

When the bus stopped at our caravans, it had Garth and Molly in it. Garth got out, said hello, and walked off with an air of intention. Molly told us that she was here to make sure that we hadn’t gone over the top, as she would be putting us into the stage outfits and the make-up would be done before we came back for the show. We had our outfits for her, from last night, but she told us to put them back in the caravan. We did, she said, deserve to keep them, as they did so much for us. I know that Angelica had been thinking about wearing hers on a Saturday night in Chard, sometime in the future.

We rounded up Archie and headed back to London. We stopped at a services for lunch, with Molly telling us that we may lose some weight with the exertion tonight. “Being a pop star is no easy life, young ones. It can age you very quickly if you let it.”

At the studio, we were ushered into the dressing area first and put into outfits with more colours than I’ve seen on one dress before. The shoes were a kaleidoscope of colour, as were the tights. The microphone sender was clipped to our panties and turned on. Next was the make-up, which was totally over the top, not for day use, that’s for sure.

The band was waiting for us when we arrived in the rehearsal room. Albert fitted us with the microphones and buds, and we were tested for sound. The band was tuning, and Cleo was conferring with her sister. We were all ready at the same time, took our places and Cleo called out “Hit it!”

As we swayed and sang, I could see two photographers walking around and taking pictures from every conceivable angle. The main difference that I noticed was three microphones hanging from the ceiling, and the fact that neither Archie nor Albert were in the room. We did the whole show and hadn’t finished for more than a couple of minutes before Cleo called “Hit it!” again and we did the whole thing over again.

When we finished for the second time, she gave the three of us hugs and told us that we were better than we had any dreams of, the second set was to see if we had a break point and we had passed the test. As we removed our headsets, the band was packing up and they all told us that they were looking forward to the show as they left. Cleo took us through to the rest room, where we were given drinks. We were joined by a couple of guys who had ‘executive’ written all over their shiny suits. They wanted us to sign contracts for them to be our managers. We put a stop to that by pointing out that we were all underage.

“Sorry about that,” said Cleo. “They insisted on having the chance to get you signed on. I wouldn’t have signed with them if I’d know how they would rip us off. The band are all contracted by the gig, but we sisters are on salaries. Now for the fun bit. We are going to be taken, by limo, to a studio where some guys are waiting to take lots of pictures. After that it’s time for some food and then we head down to the show. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

That’s how it panned out. We all had individual and group pictures, followed by a meal in a nice restaurant where we were welcomed with open arms. We were joined, there, by three guys who had been in the studio yesterday.

“These guys are Henderson, Watson, and Merriweather. They have been writing new songs for us on the new album. They saw you sing yesterday and want the chance to see if they can come up with something you’ll want to sing. They will be coming to see you at your last show on Sunday, to gauge the sort of material that will match your voices.”

Over the meal, we were quizzed about our likes and dislikes, in music, as well as listing our favourite artists. Then it was back to the studio to pick up Molly, Albert, and Archie, before heading off to the rally site. We arrived just after eight, going straight into the tent and taken to an area we hadn’t seen before. It was set up as a better dressing room, with hot and cold drinks available. Molly unclipped the senders we still had and clipped new ones on. We got re-fitted with the microphones and settled for the show.

We could hear the band that was on stage closing their set. They were a favourite of mine, and I was sad not to see them live. I did get to meet them, however, as we went up towards the stage and they were ridding themselves of their sound equipment. They greeted us as friends and the lead singer went out of his way to give us all a hug. He told us that they were hanging around to see the new-look Cleopatra. He said that rumours had been flying around and that there were a lot of music journalists out in the crowd.

A voice that sounded like Archie came through my buds.

“Three minutes. Band is ready to go. Up on stage, please.”

We made our escape and went up behind the speakers. Us to the left, and them on the right. Cleo had asked us to hold back until she called us forward and I wondered what devilishness she had planned. The lead guitarist gave her the nod and the two of them went out to the stage, to a great roar from the crowd. She made gestures for them to quieten down, and when she could be heard she made an announcement.

“As you can see, we are a couple short from our usual line-up. Two of my sisters are too ill to be with us tonight. However, we have been able to get the help from three sisters who have wowed you for the last couple of nights. Now, in order for them to join us, we need you to give them a steam rally welcome, how about we bring ‘Gaining Traction’ on stage by giving them a toot!”

As she said that, every steam whistle in the place sounded and the crowd roared. So that’s what Garth was setting up this morning. We went to our places as the roar continued and then the band hit the first notes and we were into more than an hour of entertaining the crowd. It was, I have to say, intoxicating. The last two days with the band behind us was nothing to having a band behind us and several thousand fans in front of us. It took this performance experience to a whole new level.

I loved it, I could see that Janine loved it, Angelica was sounding better than I had heard her, the band was smiling as they grooved and, better than that, the crowd was loving it. I could see our parents with big smiles on their faces, and there was Lucy and Janine with their folks as well. As I looked closer, I saw a number of cameras on tripods, taking both still and video.

As we worked through the set, I was sure that this would be my future. Not just a singer, but a female singer. Janine and I could do a duet if Angelica had moved on, but I would be happier if we could be a trio. The thoughts swirled in my brain as I did my part of this from what was now ingrained into me from all the work we had done. I could see now why we had gone through the show a second time, this afternoon. There was no way I would be forgetting my lines.

At the end of it all, we were standing, a riot of colour, across the front of the stage and the crowd was going wild. At the sessions, we had gone straight into their biggest hit, but we stood there, waving to the crowd, for a few minutes, before the riff of the hit sounded in our back and we stayed in a line, just swaying, as we did the big hit. I felt as if I was a real pop star, and not sure if my future life would throw up anything more exciting as this.

When we left the stage, I felt as if all the air had left me deflated. Back in the dressing room, we were all given re-hydrating drinks and sugar hits to get our bodies back in order. We rid ourselves of the mics and senders, and just relaxed for a little while. Then we were invaded by well-wishers, parents, friends, and the press. Dad took charge of us three and took us out of there, much to the annoyance of some pushy scribes. He told them that we would be at the camping ground, tomorrow, as we had another show of our own that evening. If they wanted answers to their questions, then they would have to come back in the morning. We left the others to handle the throng, they had just been on tour, so they should handle it.

Mum clucked around us and helped us undress, then helping us take the make-up off. I know that I didn’t have much left in the tank. She made sure we were all tucked in, and probably wished us a good night. That bit I missed, already asleep.

In the morning, there were a couple of other campers in the ablutions when I went in. They, happily, waited until I had been into a cubicle and had washed my hands before giving me hugs. They told me that the show, last night, had been amazing, both visually and with a fantastic sound. I was waking up as we talked, and then Janine and Angelica came in and we all ended up having a chat as we headed for the food tent. There, we were treated like royalty as we tucked into a big breakfast. I know that I needed to stack up with calories after last night. We attracted new people like magnets, and it was a big table of happy fans chattering when Dad came in.

He told us that Stuart wanted to have a chat, when we had finished, and waited until we could eat no more. We said cheerio to our new friends and followed him back towards the stage area. Stuart was in a separate tent and was in a jovial mood. What he wanted was simple. All we needed to do was to put on our Friday outfits, then go around various places in the site, to get promotional pictures taken to advertise the next show. He said that we would be welcome back to perform, if we wanted, and that he would donate some money to add to that which the band had committed to. Next year, we would be paid for our performances.

As we changed, and allowed Mum to help us with make-up, I wondered what we could do, next year, to even come up with the excitement of this year. We were having pictures taken when a journalist turned up, wanting some answers to his questions. He wanted to know hao many shows we had done, how long we had been on the stage, what we liked in music, what we liked in boys, what food, drink, cars, colours, and almost everything else under the sun that we liked or disliked. It was hard to give him straight answers without breaking into laughter.

Everywhere we went, we drew a crowd of smiling people. There must have been those who had only come to the show today, but even they were caught up in the general happiness. Someone mentioned that it was unusual for pop stars to be around during the day, and I realised that we may be pioneers in that respect, if you discounted that we were here with our parents, who were part of the rally.

Stuart had organised a special lunch with the rest of the organisers, at a long table in the stage tent. Although we had eaten a good breakfast, we did this meal justice, especially the ice cream that followed. There was a lot of talk about the steam whistle chorus last night. We had to say that we had nothing to do with that, and Dad let on that Garth had gone around the exhibitors, giving them all a fiver to blow the whistle when they heard Cleo ask for a toot.

We stayed in the Friday outfits, agreed that they would be good for tonight. We spent the afternoon as ambassadors of the rally, going around the entire site, with Stuart, saying hello to everyone we met. He was getting feedback from the exhibitors, as well as prior commitment for the following year. Many asked us who we would be on stage with then, and we laughed and told them that they would just have to wait and see.

We had an early tea and went into the caravan so that Angelica and Mum could rework our make-up into something more glamorous. As we came out, the minibus pulled up by us and out stepped Cleo, dressed exactly like us. We just stood there, amazed, as she gave us all a hug.

“I’m here to help you girls finish the weekend. The boys have been dropped off at the stage, with their gear. They’ve worked with your backing tape, today, and will add to the sound. Tonight, girls, you are going from magnificent to awesome.”

Molly was there to make sure we all matched. I could hardly believe it, a star coming all this way to be a backing singer for us. Well, she could take the lead on her own numbers that we did. Molly then went back to the bus and pulled out a big bag.

“You didn’t have time to choose anything, so I’ve grabbed you a selection of Cleopatra merchandise to help you remember the weekend. You three have done something that’s not very common in this game. You gave your time and talent freely, never demanding and always following orders. You are a lesson for us all, and, I know, it has helped Cleo a lot. That’s why she’s here to just have fun.”

Mum told us that Archie was already at the stage area, so we got into the bus to be taken, like royalty, to the tent. Stuart welcomed us, with a smile like the Cheshire Cat. He knew that we would be talked about and bring the public in, next year. Archie helped us clip the senders to the back of our skirts and set us up with the microphones. The three of us thanked the band for coming back and were told that they wouldn’t miss it for the world, as every musician just likes to perform and that they could see that we had caught the bug.

Before we went out, Cleo told us that the part between our last number and the encore would have a few songs from last night added, and to just go with it as they were all starting with her singing. Now I knew why Stuart had that smile, he was getting some of last night’s show repeated for nothing.

There was a distinct murmur from the crowd as the band went out and plugged in. They would have been expecting us and a music tape. Then, it was time for us, and Archie started the tape. We strutted out and started the show, with a cheer that got bigger as Cleo joined us. The band added to the backing tape, and it was fantastic. We did our set, with Cleo leading on her own numbers, and ended up with a very funny version of ‘Wannabe’ with Cleo hamming it up which we all followed. I expect that she had learned it while on tour with the Spice Girls. When we finished that, we took in the adoration of the crowd and then the band hit the first notes of one of the new songs. Angelica had soaked up the lyrics and took the second voice with the two of us doing the back-up.

We did all four of the new songs and there was a short break, with us all still at the front of the stage, then the first chords of the Grease number started, and we did that, with Angelica and Cleo doing the main part as a duet. I was entranced, it was magic. We spread out along the front and did the pointing at guys part and the came back together, arms around each other, to take the applause. We turned to wave at the band, and they got a rousing cheer.

Back in the tent, Cleo gave us all a hug and told us that it had been a lot of fun, and that there may be a surprise for us, in a few weeks, in the post. The band got their gear together as the next act set up, and we went out of the tent into another mass of family, friends, and the press. This time, the press was more interested in Cleo than us, so we hugged and smiled at each other and left her to it. It was along walk back to the caravan, and there were a lot of new friends who told us that tonight was much more than they expected. It had been a lot more than I had expected as well!

Tonight, we stayed in our outfits and welcomed a stream of well-wishers as we sat outside the caravan, until Mum decided that we all looked sleepy and deserved our rest. In the van, Angelica took us both in a group hug and told us that the weekend had been more than she could have hoped for, and that we were the best sisters she could have had. We had a quick look in the bag of stuff that Molly had left, and found signed posters and CDs, along with colourful tour tee shirts, all signed by Cleopatra and all the Spice Girls, and various rulers, pens and notepads from the band and the tour. It was, as far as I was concerned, full payment for our work.

On Monday morning, it was time to pack up. There was a bustle of activity on the site. The small exhibitors had gone last night, with just the larger stalls and all of the traction engines having to be reloaded. Instead of firing them up, our guys backed the transporters up to them and winched them on board, after clearing the fireboxes and dumping the ash at a collection point. We helped where we could, mainly taking down the Prancing Horses. At one point I was working next to Dad and apologised for not being much help over the weekend.

He straightened up and took me in a big Dad hug.

“You girls have worked harder than anyone over the last four days. I’m so proud at what you did on stage. Your own show, on Thursday, would have been enough, but all the rest of it was totally awesome. I can see why that Cleo was so taken with you. Let me guess, that part of last night where you did those new songs, that was a surprise, wasn’t it?”

I told him that it was sprung on us, at the last moment, but we had rehearsed those songs enough to just sing them. He then gave me another surprise.

“I think that the three of you aren’t cut out to drive trucks, or even be farmers. Your Uncle Tom and I had been talking about you helping on the farm. Thursday night he told me that that was one plan that had been tossed out. I had asked your sister who had worked out the dance steps and she told me it was mainly the two of you, so there could be a future for you in dance. Now, tell me, and I’m serious. Do the two of you want to go back to being Tom and Charlie when we get home, or are Lucy and Janine here to stay?”

“I don’t know, Dad, not right now. I’m dreading going to school as Tom, looking like a girl, but I don’t know what I can do about it. A lot depends on how we are treated when we’re home, and before school starts. I don’t know what I’ll do if we start getting bullied and called names. Right now, I feel more like a girl, so I’ll probably cry.”

“When we get this lot unloaded and cleaned down, we’ll have a family chat tomorrow. Tonight, I’m treating my girls, Archie, and the drivers, to a meal at the Cotley Inn. Your mother can do with a break, and it’ll give you girls a chance to dress up and mix with normal people. That way we can get a good idea of how you will fit into ordinary life.”

With the traction engines and the Horses loaded and tied down, we hooked up the caravans. Before the drivers left, we thanked them for helping the family and Geoff told us that it had been a good trip, with a lot more to see and hear than usual. Dad had Archie with him as he led the convoy out, with a lot of other exhibitors giving them a wave. I stood there, wondering why Mum hadn’t even got into the Cruiser.

“Right, girls. Back into the caravan and out of those jeans. The denim skirts with tights will do, and you can keep the boots on. Your father is taking us out for a meal, tonight, and the place he’s taking us to is a bit swish. I’m going to stop in Dorchester, and we’ll get you proper dresses for tonight,”

She was sitting in the car when we came out of the caravan and latched the door for traveling. We piled into the Cruiser, Angelica in the front, and Mum left the rally site, with several people waving to us as we went. It didn’t take that long to get to Dorchester, and Mum went into the town, then down Trinity Street to a carpark, where she was lucky enough to get a space big enough to fit our long rig. She led us through Marks and Spencers, picking up packs of panties and tights on the way. We came out, at the other end, in a shopping street, with Goulds Fashions across the road. By the time we left there, it was almost lunch time and we had bags with our new dresses, as well as a few more skirts and tops. Of course, the two of us had chosen similar outfits, but the dresses were a real find. They had been on a rack signed as ‘end of season’ and we found two, in dark blue, that fitted us, and Angelica found an emerald-green one.

I hadn’t been to Dorchester, before, and loved the quirky streets and walks. Mum took us further along the street to Antelope Walk, where we first stopped for a bite to eat at a café, and then went into a lingerie shop, where we all bought new bras, and us twins walked out with bags containing three lovely nighties, each. We needed slips for our dresses as well. Angelica had decided that the strappy sandals we had for the leather skirt outfit would be all right for each of our dresses.

We hung the dresses in the caravan so that they didn’t get creased. On the way to Crewkerne, Angelica asked Mum the question that I wanted to ask but was not certain whether I should.

“Mum, you’ve spent heaps, today, on top of all that you spent on my sisters before the weekend. Can we afford it?”

Marianne Gregory © 2024

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A nice start to the week

Maddy Bell's picture

A nice fun read but what happens next?


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Sadly M&S are no longer in Dorchester

Angharad's picture

They went about 5 years ago, Goulds is still here, we had three department store when I first came here forty years ago, now down to one, the internet and out of town shopping centres being part of the cause. Interestingly, you mention Chard, It was the home of powered flight, in 1848 by John Stringfellow.

Angharad

Dorchester

****LOCAL KNOWLEDGE AWFUL JOKE ALERT***

Are you saying the town couldn't organise a shopping centre in a brewery?

I have my coat and the taxi is waiting.

As for flight, at the same time we had the genius George Cayley, but 'appen he was from Yorkshire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cayley

If Stringfellow And Cayley

joannebarbarella's picture

Had got together we could possibly have had aeroplanes fifty or more years sooner.

"Gaining Traction" are having a wonderful introduction to the world of pop. I reckon their introduction at school will be a great success too.

Indeed

Both recognised the need for a lightweight power plant, and steam couldn't do that. Cayley's engine was a first, but it ran on, ahem, gunpowder.

The other pioneer was Hiram Maxim, of Bexley in London, who liked things that begin with an 'M', such as the mousetrap and machine gun. His flying machine ended up as a tethered fairground ride, but it still flew.

Cayley was the name of the University Hall next to mine, and their story of that first flight by Cayley's servant had him jumping out after landing, and starting to run, never to be seen again!

Obviously early rehearsals for taking a flight with R*anair

You Should Have Tried

joannebarbarella's picture

Some of the early 80s flights with mainland Chinese airlines. They were real terror!

And some of the ones I had in the outback and in PNG.

Thoroughly enjoying this tale!

I couldn't help but be reminded of a group from my youth, while reading this, called 'The Steam Packet', who used to play in our area, included in the line up was Rod Stewart, Long John Baldry, Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll!
Happy days.
Stay safe!
T

Are you into mind reading?

The details about Dorchester came from Google maps and street view. I've been around it on the bypass, but not into the town itself. It was a surprise when I read the links to early powered flight, as I am now twenty-eight chapters into a story about the movie business and have just been writing a chapter with my heroine writing a screenplay about Katharine Wright, a forgotten woman who was the one person that allowed the Wright Brothers to perfect the Flyer, due to her support and expertise. When I read about her life, I was amazed that she had been marginalized so completely. It is a truism that the winner writes the history, which is why it's called his-story.
Marianne

Loving the (Traction Engine) ride

Lucy Perkins's picture

Thanks for writing such an entertaining story, it really is so enjoyable.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

The Steam Whistles

I worked at a steam show held every year in a nearby town, as a member of the support staff. Every night at 6 pm, they had what is termed the "Blowoff" where every machine sounded off in a sustained whistle. Everything came to a standstill for the "Blowoff". I got the strong impression that the "Blowoff" was a standard part of any steam show.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin