Homemade Sausage Rolls

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I have an awesome recipe for Homemade Sausage Rolls! For anyone who isn't from the Midwest, A sausage roll is basically a 'meat roll'.

Just in time for the NCAA Final Four

What you'll need:

Frozen bread dough (the loaf type - find in the stores freezer section)
2 Package of Breakfast sausage (I like to get the regular seasoning kind)
Small can of pizza sauce
Mushrooms, Onion, Green Peppers...(all optional)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (2 cup package)...you can use more depending on how cheesy you like.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Brown Sausage (Drain)

Basically you allow the bread to thaw but don't let it rise. Use a rolling pin and roll it out flat, round and very thin (like 1/8"). Place it on a large stone or baking sheet.

Then build it like you would a pizza. Start with the sauce and spread it around.

Once done, put the browned sausage in the center and add the cheese and additional ingredients that you wish.

Here's the tricky part, fold one end in (about 4 inches), do the same to the opposite end. Then carefully bring opposite sides together and start crimping the dough, working your way down it's entire length. (the dough should stick to itself pretty well.

I brush the outside of the dough with butter then sprinkle Parmesan cheese...even have sprinkled Italian seasoning on it as well as a light garlic. (optional)

When you've finished, put it into the center rack of your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or golden brown.

Enjoy! :D

Interesting...

Over here (UK), a sausage roll is sausage meat encased by pastry and then baked (Wiki).

Following links from that page, it calls your recipe "Sausage bread" (Link). But hey, it's not unheard of for different regions / countries to call the same food by different names - what we call crisps you call potato chips, what we call chips you'd call fries (sort of - although we do have US-style fries, our chips tend to be significantly chunkier), and while "Pigs in blankets" usually has a sausage at the centre, whether it's wrapped in bacon, pancakes, dough or pastry; and in some parts of the world it may be something completely different...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!