I Need New Reads!

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I read a lot. Really. I mean REALLY.

Because of that, I've started having trouble finding stories to read that sit along the types I tend to prefer, which, unfortunately, is a fairly narrow spectrum of what's out there.

So, here I am, asking for recommendations. Here's a quick list of what I'm looking for:

-I tend to prefer stories with teenage protagonists, though twenties or even early thirties are acceptable as well, even a little older if the story involves some minor age regression (like in Of Masks And Marvels and Zapped!)

-I like mtf stories pretty much exclusively, from the point of view of the protagonist or third person, and with male love interests. For some reason, I have a hard time getting into stories where the main character is interested in women. *shrug*

-I read mostly real-world type stories, but fantasy and sci fi are acceptable too if enough of the other categories fit my interests (like "Maiden By Decree," "The Frozen Balance," or the Heaven and Hell series.)

-I don't care for bondage, dom/sub, or most of the other fetishistic type things. That said, if I like the rest of the story enough I can generally deal with elements of some fetish subject matter. An example here would be Brandy DeWinter's "Whose Body Is It Anyway?" stories, which feature quite a bit of bondage, but have an enjoyable enough story that I can deal with that element and still read it.

-If you've read any of my own stories, then you know the type that I like :P What can I say? I write the type of story I like because I want to see more of them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, and all are appreciated. I've read most of what's present here and at Storysite that fits into the categories above, at least as far as I can tell, and I've delved some into Fictionmania, but have an even harder time digging through the drivel and fetish fiction there than I did on Storysite. I'm pretty much scared to even look anywhere else lest I scar my delicate, naive mind :P

In exchange, I can offer suggestions to others if I know of any stories that fit into categories they request.

Melanie E.

What You Like Is What You Get

littlerocksilver's picture

Melanie,

I am in the process of doing the final editing and formatting of two stories in the Cynthia series. The first takes place in basically one day in Bobbie (Schmedlap) Anderson's career as a professional golfer. You might remember, Bobbie is Cynthia (Lewis) Brewer's best friend. Both underwent MTF transformations when they were about nine or ten. They have had many adventures since. Bobbie and Cindy are about 30, and there is a surprise. There are MTF and FTM transformations. There are also some significant revelations in several flashbacks about some important events concerning their universe.

The second story is about Cindy's younger sister, Randi, whose female spirit was inserted into her embryo after she died when she was a male. Randi assists the Wizard in the SRU shop during her break from college. She meets and falls in love with a college professor and PhD candidate. He of course falls madly in love with her. Evil forces threaten their happiness. We learn more about what is going on in their universe. There will be transformations, but mostly, this is a love story. There is much love both in the spiritual and sexual nature. I thought about entering this in the summer romance contest, but since it is part of a series, I didn't think it qualified.

Both stories are right at 36,000 words. The first will take six postings and I imagine the second will, too. Hope this whets your curiosity.

Portia

Portia

Thanks!

I'll be sure to check it out!

Melanie E.

More reads

Have you tried the MORFS http://morfs.nowhere2go.org/ and Whateley Academy http://crystalhall.org/ universes? Both involve an involuntary (but accidental) change that takes place around puberty that may or may not involve a change in gender. The Whateley universe is a superhero universe. Both have all the elements you seek.

Read both...

I'm actually a member of the forums over on Whateley, even, and worked on a pen and paper RPG system for the universe :P

It's been a while since I kept up with either one, though; my favorite stories over on Whateley were Nikki Riley's and Jade Sinclair's, and they've both been out of the loop for a while. Over on the MORFS site I absolutely LOVED "Grey," but it's been so long since it's been updated I doubt it ever will be again at this point.

These are good suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Melanie E.

Universes

On the Whateley side, there is a forum dedicated to fan fiction. Some of it is every bit as good as the canon stuff. Also, check out Diane Castle's stuff. She does a super job with Ayla, and also with Aquerna the squirrel avatar.

On the MORFS side, it's hard to choose favorites, but there are about three authors that I particularly like. As for the characters themselves, I have to admit to a certain liking for kitty girls -- but anyone who has read about the Doctors Martin and their merry crew can figure that one out. LOL

And I really wish Nist would update Grey -- not that I have much room to talk.

I don't know...

It doesn't strike a chord... where can I find it?

Melanie E.

Tina

rebecca.a's picture

Personally I'm not all that big on forced fem, but if that's your thing it's better than most: http://www.fictionmania.tv/stories/forced/TINA.txt

not as think as i smart i am

couple of mine might work

not to blow my own horn, but although they arent exactly what you are looking for, a couple of my stories might tickle your fancy. "One night in a Small Town", and "Tolerance Town".

DogSig.png

JulieO-verse

You might want to check out the stories by JulieO. The longer stories are situated in a Universe of its own and could well stand alone. But actually the build up on each other. In the end you get a whole bevy of MtF people, some who have gone the "traditional" route, other through sci-fi, mythology or even magic.

Initially I deleted some ot the shorter stories from my download folder, but latter found some sneaky references to events related there in the longer stories.

At the last count I have been able to get a rough cronological order of 34 stories, though due to RL requierements the last 2 or 3 stories posted here on BC have not yet been included in my spreadsheet. And I am shure there is some more cross-over of characters with several other stories I have not yet analised. Even to the point of other authors. e.g. Jen Stevens from Zapped! is a prominent character in the JulieO-verse.

JNB in South America

Stories

Have you read Something Feels Strange by TiffQ it fits your criteria. I am looking for a story about a boy who gets transformed into a girl by his sister with the help of a magic closet and a cat.

Part of it

I got part way through the story -- a little past their return to the continental United States -- and kind of lost interest for some reason. Perhaps I need to give it another go, I just had trouble relating to the characters for some reason.

As for the story you're looking for, I don't know about that :P Sounds interesting, though!

Melanie E.

OUT LINE

I THINK YOU SHOULD OUTLINE A STORY OR AT LEAST
PROVIDE A SHORT SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE
TO READ. AND THEN LET THE WRITERS SPIN THEIR
MAGIC.

ANONYMOUS

You should read....

Tiffany Shar's Standing Up to Life, Daring to Hope, and Dreaming of Cheers.

This is one of the best stories I have read anywhere, it's a continuing story.

The only thing it doesn't seem to hit on your list is that the protagonist is 11/12, so if you are looking for sex you won't find it here.

All three can be found here.

http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/tiffany-shar

I've read and enjoyed them all

Well, most of them.

One thing I'm specifically NOT looking for is sex -- it's one of the things that more often than not distracts from a story rather than adding to it, and I'm quite the prude anyhow, so I usually skip sex scenes if they can be skipped without hurting the story. The only major complaint I have about the Standing Up To Life series is it has a few too many extended shopping trips for my taste, so around the time of Thanksgiving in the story I just lost interest.

Melanie E.

i think we have similar tastes, but who knows?

rebecca.a's picture

Here's a random collection of things I've enjoyed. You've probably read most of them already, but it never hurts to talk up a good story.

Also, have you checked out Ellen Hayes's "Ellen's Select" over at her site? I say this immodestly because she listed one of my stories, but there are a few amusing stories like Mark Gooley's Diary of a Mad Scientist you're unlikely to find elsewhere, and some other good tales such as PJ Wright's For Lisa and Myria's These Lives We Seek.

I'm sure there are others I could recommend but I'm travelling at the moment and don't have access to my home computer.

Want to share any of the stuff you've liked? I think we probably have similar tastes.

not as think as i smart i am

Read a few of them

And if I recall I've read something of yours before too -- the name rings a bell...

A few of my favorites?

Well, there's always "The Reluctant..." series by Melanie Brown, as well as her story "I'm With The Band." Then there's "Blue Moon" by Donna Lamb, and a story that surprised me, "For My Daughters" by Shalimar.

Then, of course, there are the guilty pleasures -- the stories that fall into genres you don't normally like but that for some reason you find enjoyable to read. A few of these for me would be "College Girl" by Holly Day, "Danny" by Roberta J. Cabot, and the "Xora" series of stories by Brandy DeWinter.

Back on track with the more standard fare for me is "I Can't Go Home Like This" by C. Sprite, though after the rigamarole at her site I doubt I'll go back to see if she finishes it, "My Best Friend's Girl" by Jennifer Adams, and for the superhero fan in all of us, "Of Masks And Marvels" by Bek D. Corbin.

Overall, that's really only a small smattering of the stories I like, but it's enough to get you started, and most of them can be found here, Crystal's, Fictionmania, or Sapphire's.

Melanie E.