Feds Get Involved in Discrimination Against Effeminate Student

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Here's a story about a kid being beaten up for being effeminate

, his parents sued the school and the Feds are saying it is a civil rights case:

Story at NPR.

As to whether Title IX can be stretched that far, well it has been in the past for girls who wanted to play boys' sports and were attacked for not being feminine enough, so there is precedence. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think the facts as presented point to the school being derelict in protecting the student, with or without the Feds getting involved. Sure will up the heat and having a deep pocket like the DoJ at your table can't hurt.

Please keep discussions on this topic civil, I realize it impinges on political topics that can be hot buttons.

Hugs,
Erin

Schools Have To Take This Seriously

jengrl's picture

Schools have to take this seriously with everything that has happened in recent years with school shootings and bullying. They have to get real about protecting students or face consequences. They should consider this as a warning to get tougher on policy enforcement or face more lawsuits of this nature. Kids are really cruel to others who they deem to be different. I found this out in Elementary School and even a bit in Junior High when I was made fun of and called names. It still hurts to think about it today.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Anything which stops bullying

Angharad's picture

should be seen as positive irrespective of apparent motives. Last year in the UK a girl jumped off a motorway bridge because she was being bullied by a gang of girls from her school.

Angharad

Angharad

This makes me rather upset, about what happened to him

I think not only should the attackers be held accountable, but the school, the teacher that told him to hate himself, the numers staff, the county and the state should be held accountable. Though, I tend to be over dramamtic, I think they should have a little corporal punishment with a proper Larmatic balance.

It's as if the many people still hasn't learned, that a person has the right to be who they are. What are they going to do next when someone so much as breaths or laughs, hit em for making a natural body response, like seriously its the 21st century. You would think some people would try to make this millenium, one of positive change and acceptance, not one of hatred.

I am sorry if i am running at the mouth, but it ticks me off. I am very much happy to find out the government is going to try to try it as a federal/criminal case. Civil cases, just don't do much justice.
They still shouldn't have given the first name of the child, and the first and last name of the father, unfortunitely that may cause the youngester's identity to be found.

I hope the poor kid, comes out all right in the end. Sometimes these cases have a big impact on the victim they help. Usually by protestors.

With love and light, and smiles so bright

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Erin, you weren't running at the mouth...

Andrea Lena's picture

...you were likely expressing not just what so many here believe, but also what some here have endured themselves. There's an old adage I remember from when I was younger. Someone might complain very deservedly about some insult or injustice, and the response would always be,
"Okay..okay...Jeez...you don't have to make a federal case out of it!" trying to downplay the hurt. Well, in this case, and sadly in many others, it may take a "federal case" to see things changed. Thanks for writing your comment; it was right on!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you Andrea

lol, I have heard that one before too lol.

With love and light, and smiles so bright;

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

It took a Federal Case

It took the Feds stepping end to finally start integrating public schools. I hope something positive comes out of this. I remember reading several years ago in Rolling Stone that the current generation is really the first one that is "color-blind". I wish that were the case, sadly it's not. But we are getting there.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

School policies?

I don't know the setup with regards to school organisation or the teachers' conditions of service, but over here in the UK, Equality and Diversity is a core part of school policies and the staff codes of conduct. I can't remember if sexual orientation is mentioned specifically, but the main emphasis of E&D is to discourage discrimination of any sort.

If the school didn't take any notice, then reporting it to the US equivalent of the local authority, and if that didn't work, try the local paper. Over here at least, a sympathetic interview in the local paper can often work wonders at persuading the relevant bodies to sit up, take notice and start a proper investigation.

--Ben

This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!