This Honorable Court (Conclusion)

Printer-friendly version
Thie Honorable Court - Cover_Original.jpeg
.

CHAPTER FOUR: CAMRYN’S VIEW
The Following Day, 11:45 a.m.

Kyle and I had arrived early again, and we were back in what was charmingly – if inaccurately – called the attorneys’ cloakroom. No one wears cloaks anymore, and the room is more of a lounge.

Shelby – intense, intelligent, Shelby – arrived a few minutes after we did. She was now pacing like a caged panther, her cell phone mashed to her ear. “Come on, dammit, answer the phone!”

It wasn’t really my place to tell her to relax, and besides, I shared her concern. After having to rely on a phalanx of State Police in full riot gear just to muscle through the chanting crowd to a waiting van yesterday, I was far from sanguine about how safe any of us were.

Kyle, of course, filtered the same concerns through his Army-instilled paranoia, and he had essentially unlimited access to my fiancé Rob’s ridiculously large pot of money. So we had gotten out of the van yesterday at a random intersection where he had arranged to be picked up by an Uber . . . which had dropped us off at a random office building . . . where we had walked briskly through the lobby and out the back door . . . where we were picked up by a car that drove us to a supermarket in the nearest suburb . . . where a man handed us keys to a rental car.

The man took Kyle’s key and went back to Sloan, Hardcastle, where he picked up our original rental car and took it back to the airport. Meanwhile, Kyle took a leisurely and roundabout drive until, convinced we were not being followed, he stopped in a random motel and got us adjacent rooms. We had, of course, perfectly good rooms at the Hilton downtown, but we would not be staying there. Oh, certainly not!

It sounds exciting, I suppose, but mostly it was tedious and I was pretty emotionally wrung out. When I had gently suggested to Kyle that he might be overdoing it, he said, “Listen, Cami. It’s your fight and you’re doing great. But it’s my fight, too. Trust me to handle this part.” I didn’t have any answer to that.

I had kept my cool yesterday – I felt really good about that – but I had been seething the entire time. For the profession, and even more, for the administration of justice and the rule of law. But most of all for poor Debbie, having to watch someone in a black robe humiliate another person, just for being trans.

Well . . . attempt to humiliate, anyhow. Burleigh’s ham-fisted efforts had pleased the peanut gallery, but that was about it. The news coverage had been positively brutal. Even conservative media outlets, which thrilled at Burleigh’s stand, were unimpressed by the Chief Justice’s inability to control his courtroom.

My bosses, of course, had been delighted with the coverage. Rob, stuck at home with a broken leg, had been apoplectic, but I’d talked him down. It had helped that I was able to assure him that there would be no mob today.

Recognizing that the optics of yesterday’s farce had not looked good for Team Transphobe, the Governor had closed off the area immediately around the courthouse to protesters. The Court itself had barred the public from observing today’s hearing. One pool reporter in the courtroom, but otherwise just the parties and their legal teams. Including, naturally, my diligent “paralegal.”

The rest of the press were in the plaza in front of the courthouse. Indeed, the AG and his team were outside right now, chatting them up. I was more than content to wait until after the hearing.

Especially since my own participation was likely to be brief. Late last night, we had received an electronic order from the Court. “Clarifying item 5.7 of the Court’s Guide for Attorneys, ‘appropriate attire’ means clothing that is conservative, professional, and gender-appropriate. Counsel for intervenor is specifically directed to comport with these standards during all court appearances in this matter.”

Well, as far as I was concerned, I was complying with the Court’s directive. I did change my top – I could scarcely wear it two days in a row – replacing yesterday’s black shell with a white silk blouse that had a demurely scooping neckline. I made sure it displayed no cleavage at all. None. Except to people who are significantly taller than me, and in my 3-inch heels, I almost hit six feet.

Of course, when the judges were seated behind their tall and imposing bench, they would be up rather higher than that, I suppose. Deary me, the poor boys will just have to avert their eyes, won't they?

I was amused to see that Shelby had defiantly opted for a pantsuit today. The style flattered her trim, toned, and powerful body. Was that, I wondered, “gender appropriate?” Well, if the Court is dumb enough to give her a hard time about it, all the better. Transpeople make great scapegoats and targets because there are so few of us. Women, on the other hand . . . .

She stopped pacing, put her phone down and looked at me. “He’ll be here. But . . . I’m ready, if he doesn’t make it.”

I rose and gave her my best smile. “I’m worried about the Judge, Shelby, after everything that’s happened. But I’m not remotely worried about you. Pretty much the same argument we did before Judge Ritchie, and you rocked!”

“Thanks.” She looked grateful for the vote of confidence, but what I had said was true. She knew this argument at least as well as the Judge. Maybe better. It was her case from the start, and she was the one who had convinced the firm’s pro bono committee to take it. Besides, we had preserved all of our arguments in the written briefs.

She looked at the clock again and muttered something.

“I didn’t catch that,” I said.

“Nothing . . . but, I guess we’d better get out there. Hopefully, he’ll get here in time.”

“Okay,” I said, trying to sound upbeat, though my stomach was in knots. “Let’s do it!”

We walked into the courtroom, Kyle bringing up the rear. Shelby stopped to murmur something to Tom and Debbie, who had insisted on returning despite everything. It had been Debbie, to my surprise, who had said, “We can’t just let them run us off. We can’t.”

I gave her a big, cheerful, devil-may-care grin, hearing the voice of my mentor, Eileen O’Donnell, in my head. “Never let them see you sweat’ applies doubly to clients!” The next little bit was going to be unpleasant . . . but sometimes victory arrives in stealth, disguised as a beat-down.

Kyle sat with the Stevensons, lending them the comfort of his quiet and formidable presence.

At counsel table, Shelby left the seat closest to the podium for the Judge, taking the one next to it. I sat on her other side and began pulling papers from my attaché case. Not like I’ll need them.

Shelby’s phone vibrated with an incoming text. She grabbed it, checked the message, and said, “Oh, thank God! He says he was delayed, but he’ll be here in just a few minutes.”

I felt muscles between my shoulders loosen; I hadn’t even realized they were tight as the string on a steel crossbow. I knew there was nothing he could do to shield me from the Court’s self-righteous indignation, but I would still feel better having him at my side. More importantly, I was just relieved.

He's safe!

Shelby went up to the Clerk’s station and told her that Judge Danforth was on his way, but might be a minute or two late.

“I’ll let them know,” the woman replied, her tone registering severe disapproval. One does not arrive late to a hearing before the Supreme Court. Disrespectful.

Shelby came and resumed her seat. She looked my way and gave a barely perceptible head shake. They won’t wait.

The shrug of my shoulders was almost as undetectable. It is what it is.

The rap on the Justices’ door came at twelve o’clock precisely, and we all dutifully rose while they filed in and took their seats. The Marshal opened Court, we took our seats, and the Clerk called the case.

The Chief Judge turned his eyes on me. “Counsel for intervenor is present?”

Party time.

I rose. “I am, your Honor. Camryn Campbell for the United States.”

“Did you fail to receive our order from last night?”

“I received it, your Honor.”

“Was there, perhaps, something unclear about the order?” He sounded incredulous.

Fair enough; I was sounding respectful, and both of us were lying. “Not at all, your Honor. The order was perfectly clear.”

“Indeed,” he said pompously. “I thought so myself. So, since you received it, and you understood it, can I conclude that you have chosen to wilfully disregard a direct order from this tribunal?”

“Not at all, your Honor.” I adopted an earnest tone. “I followed the Court’s directive exactly.”

The Chief Justice’s brows gathered in thunderous disapproval. “I don’t care if you are here representing the administration in Washington, D.C. I will not tolerate disrespect for this Court! Am I clear! Your attire is not appropriate for your gender!”

“I assure you, your Honor, I am not playing games.” I needed all of my vocal training to keep my voice steady. “Based on careful observation, my attire is fairly standard for a female attorney. It therefore complies with the Court’s directive, since I’m a woman.”

Hear me roar.

Although it was obvious that the Chief Justice had told the other members of the Court that he, as the presiding officer, would handle the issue of my attire, Justice Burleigh could no longer contain himself. “You are nothing of the sort!”

Better and better. Lally will be SO pleased.

I looked at him and cocked my head. “With respect, your Honor, precisely how do you propose to determine that?”

“You don’t ask questions here!” He was incandescent.

Good.

The Chief Judge gave Burleigh a quelling look and raised a hand to stop him from saying more.

Time to take the initiative. “Mr. Chief Justice?”

He turned his attention back to me.

“At a speech before the Tattershall Rotary Club during last year’s election, you said, ‘Anyone who is confused about their gender should just go into the bathroom and check.’ Do you intend to assign someone to accompany me . . . for verification purposes?”

I’d never seen anyone actually turn purple before, but the Chief Justice had hit his limit. “That’s enough! Enough!!! Your pro hac vice admission is rescinded! Marshal . . . .”

In the silence of the empty courtroom, the clash of the main door opening was unnaturally loud. His anger diverted, the Chief Justice paused his diatribe.

At the sound of hard-soled shoes on mosaic tile, I risked turning my attention from the bench to look behind me, hoping that the Judge had arrived.

He always cut a fine and dignified figure, and his black suit was, if anything, even more formal than the dark navy blue he had worn the day before. But it consisted of a sheath dress, covered by a matching crop jacket with a high collar and three-quarter length sleeves. Hose and low-heeled shoes completed the ensemble.

He walked forward at a normal pace, neither hurrying nor dawdling, passed the bar and came to stand at the podium. “I apologize for my late arrival, Mr. Chief Justice. Justices.” His gray eyes swept the bench. “Roger Danforth, for the defendants.”

The Courtroom was silent as a tomb. This was Justice Roger Danforth. The very epitome of dignity and probity. A man who treated dressing properly as a way – a necessary way – of showing respect. The Roger Danforth. Standing in the well of his old courtroom in a dress.

Interestingly, his outfit did not make him look remotely feminine, nor did he look silly. He looked strong, masculine, and dignified, like a distinguished man in a kilt. Or a lion facing down a pack of snarling hyenas.

Magnificent. He looks magnificent!

I had kept my cool through the Chief Justice’s attack and Justice Burleigh’s viciousness, but Judge Danforth’s grand gesture brought a lump to my throat. I felt the prick of tears and fought to control them.

Finally, Chief Justice Wilkins managed to recover his wits enough to make a response, trite and predictable though it was. “Judge Danforth! What is the meaning of this?!!”

The Judge didn’t waste time pretending he didn’t know what Wilkins was talking about. In a stern and serious voice, he said, “This Court refused to accord my distinguished colleague the respect that is due to counsel for the United States of America – or to any member of the bar. I protest this Court’s disgraceful treatment of Ms. Campbell, and I stand in solidarity with her.”

“Are you lecturing us?” Justice Burleigh was, as usual, incredulous, outraged and indignant.

Perfect.

“No, sir,” the Judge countered. “I am admonishing you.” They were seated on the raised bench, looking down, but his was the voice of authority.

The Chief Justice wasn’t having it. “Your prior service does not give you license to make a mockery of this court!!!”

“I have in no way done so,” the Judge countered. “Far from it. Rather, . . . “

“No!” The Chief talked over him. “We’re not doing this, do you hear me!”

He’s losing it!

Justice Taft laid a hand on Wilkins’ wrist and interjected, “Mr. Chief Justice? A point of personal privilege?”

He turned to her and almost snapped, “What?”

She gazed at him calmly, letting the silence linger just long enough to remind the Chief that he was addressing the senior associate justice on the Court. “I served with Justice Danforth for many years.” Her mouth quirked in a smile and she said, “We had some pretty explosive arguments, as I recall. But I always respected his opinion. I would like to hear what he has to say.”

The Chief glared at her, furious.

Her level eyes did not waver.

“Fine!” he conceded, with ill grace. “Fine!” Turning his glare on the Judge, he said, “You have one minute. Sixty seconds.”

“Thank you, Justice Taft,” the Judge said to his old colleague. Looking at Chief Justice Wilkins, he said, “I would never mock the court on which I served, and for which I have enormous respect. But insisting on gender stereotypes in attire, and squabbling over honorifics and pronouns, is profoundly unserious and deeply harmful to this court’s reputation. Worse, justices who campaigned on a promise to uphold the law at issue, and refused to recuse themselves, violated both their sacred oaths and the Code of Judicial Conduct.”

Wilkins' teeth were rigidly clenched, and he was staring at the watch on his wrist like an owl watches a field mouse.

But the Judge still had time. “My clients, and the transgender community as a whole, have been unfairly targeted and discriminated against in violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. They have the right, just like any American, to have their defenses considered by a fair, sober, and above all, impartial tribunal. If this Court can’t even clear that minimal bar, it is a mockery. Nothing that I say, and certainly nothing that I wear, will alter that reality.”

In marked contrast to Burleigh’s bombast and bellowing, the Judge’s voice was even and measured, and his anger was all the more vivid for being tightly controlled and leavened with disappointment. It wasn’t a harangue, it was a judgment. He might have been the Patriarch Jacob, rebuking his errant older sons for their small-minded jealousy.

The Chief Justice looked up from his watch and scowled at the man at the lectern. Wilkins certainly looked the part, but he lacked the native wit and flexibility of mind to see the strategic advantages of a tactical withdrawal.

Presumably deciding that any challenge to his stewardship of the Court must be swiftly and ruthlessly quashed, he proceeded to make himself look smaller still. “All right, ‘Judge’ Danforth. You’ve had your minute, and you’ve had your fun. Now it’s time for you to listen for a change. Our order from last night was unambiguous concerning the meaning of Guidance 5.7. We’re not going to buy Mr. Campbell’s excuse, and it doesn’t even apply to you. On my own authority, I am referring you to disciplinary counsel, and I expect the DC’s recommended penalty will be severe.”

He looked across the Courtroom. “Marshal, kindly escort Mr. Danforth and Mr. Campbell from the chamber.”

The Marshal looked offended and momentarily defiant, but Judge Danforth gave him a smile and a wink. So he rose stiffly, came out from behind his desk, and walked, with obvious reluctance, to the central podium. “Damn it, Judge,” he growled, exasperated. “You got me this job!”

The Judge’s smile was warm; his voice low and filled with humor. “So you know how disappointed I’d be if you didn’t do it right. Besides . . . when else will I get the chance to have a distinguished gentleman walk me down the aisle?”

George couldn’t help it. He cracked up.

“Allow me to be the one to escort you, Ms. Campbell.”

I spun, surprised, to find myself staring down at the smiling face of Justice Taft. I’d been so engrossed in the drama between the Marshal and the Judge that I hadn’t seen her leave the bench. “Your Honor?”

The Judge turned as well, looking surprised for the first time. “Ellie?”

She wagged a finger at him. “You are still wrong – dead wrong! – about Carter Manufacturers, and you don’t know antitrust from antiperspirant.” Her smile grew broader and her eyes danced with merriment. “But I love your dress, and the court shoes are adorable!” Gesturing towards the exit, she said, “Shall we?”

“I think I’ve got an appointment with some representatives of the Fourth Estate,” the Judge replied. “Care to join me?”

“I might. I just might. . . . Oh, wait. Almost forgot – silly me!” She turned back to face the bench, where her colleagues were still sitting in stunned silence, completely unable to formulate a response to this rebellion from within their ranks.

Justice Taft unzipped her black robe, letting it fall to the ground in a puddle. Under it, she was sensibly dressed in a sleeveless white top and dark pants. “I quit. Effective this instant. Now, for the love of God, people! Stop making asses of yourselves, would you? It’s embarrassing.”

She turned her back on her colleagues, the bench, and the court that had been her life for three decades, to put a firm hand on my elbow. “There. You’re my prisoner. How’s about we get out of here?”

We followed the Judge and the Marshal to the courtroom door, where, his duty accomplished, George left us. The Judge had motioned the clients to stay put, so that poor Shelby would have someone there to watch her argument. Kyle, of course, followed me.

Once the door closed behind us, the Judge gave now former Justice Taft an apologetic look. “Now that we’re not putting on a show, let me say I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to drag you into this.”

“It was past time, Roger,” she said sadly. “I can’t be associated with what they’re doing any more. With what this place has become.”

His voice was soft, heavy with loss and regret. “God save this Honorable Court.”

“Amen,” she replied, before adding tartly, “and, God, if I may be so bold, kindly don’t dawdle!”

We crossed the foyer and went out into the sunshine, where the microphones and cameras were waiting.

Time to make our case to another court.

The End

Author’s Note: This is a work of fiction. The characters are not based on any particular individuals, living or dead, and courthouses seldom see made-for-TV moments like the ones depicted in the story. But there ARE things about this story that are very real. Laws making it illegal to obtain or provide hormone blockers or treatments for minors based on a diagnosis of gender dysphoria – regardless of parental consent – have been passed in several states. Each of these statutes has been challenged on constitutional grounds, including (most significantly) violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. The Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice has intervened in these cases on behalf of the U.S. Government to support the rights of transgender individuals, their parents and their doctors. It is also certainly true that the constitutional challenges will ultimately be decided by the Supreme Court of the United States.

I would like to thank Dee Sylvan, Rachel Moore, and Jill Rasch for giving me comments on an earlier draft of this story. It is substantially better as a result of their help, but you may rest assured that anything you DIDN’T like is no-one’s fault but mine!

Emma Anne Tate
20 October, 2023

For information about my other stories, please check out my author's page.

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Inspirational

Dee Sylvan's picture

Awesome, my dear! Simply awesome! :DD

DeeDee

Thank you, Dee!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

For your kind comment, and even more, for your help on the story. You are a marvel, sis!

Emma

If only.

I sort of saw the late RBG in Judge Taft.

I'm not too hopeful of your current Supreme Court being anything like fair in this matter. Too much religion is definitely bad for the soul. Still, we can hope.

Less angry than after the first part :) and it was, of course, the closeness to reality that made me angry. I guess we now wait and see if you show us the rest of this drama.

Alison

Oddly enough . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

It’s probably strange, but I wasn’t thinking of the late Justice Ginsburg when I wrote this. Although there are two points of extreme difference. Taft is supposed to be “traditionally conservative,” and, ah . . . knew when to quit. :(

I don’t plan on continuing this particular story line, but either real world events or my errant muse may cause me to reconsider. We’ll see!

Emma

Emma,

Emma,

I am not transgender, but I have 2 friends with transgender children. The thought that these people could be denied their soul affirming treatment is a horrific situation and needs to be fought with every resource society has available. We all have a responsibility to protect their right to live their lives as they see fit, for their choices harm no one. Any true Christian lives by the doctrines of free will and treating your neighbor as you wish to be treated.

I stand with the courage that the transgender community has to live life as their authentic selves.

Source

Allies

Emma Anne Tate's picture

One of the main themes of this story is that, as alone as we sometimes feel in the trans community, we have allies. People of character who see us, see our humanity, and grant us the same inalienable right to pursue happiness as any other citizen. Shelby O’Meara, Judge Danforth, Justice Taft, and Major Stewart are fictional, but there are people like this in the real world, and I thank God for them. People like you. Thank you!

Emma

How Did I Miss the First Chapter

BarbieLee's picture

Emma's style of writing is unique as is all writers. I don't always like the format or the direction of her stories. Even then though they are solidly built from the beginning and like the tale or not it's excellent writing skills.
Think of standing in a pasture looking at the biggest, toughest looking bull you have ever seen. Gentle or mean, the first thought is going to be impressive, not if he's lovable or not. Tie that into Emma's tales.
Hugs Emma
Barb
Purchased an ankle length skirt several weeks back. The lady had trouble getting it into the bag. "That is the softest skirt I have ever felt." Wore it Wed. without a slip. The skirt wasn't a tight skirt just the opposite. It wasn't static electricity as it caressed me. Every female should have a dress or skirt feel so sensual against her body.
Males grow up as men, females grow up a women. They miss so much in life as they take for granted the way things are .

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thanks, Barb

Emma Anne Tate's picture

And congratulations on your purchase — it sounds lovely!

Emma

Pendulum

It is tempting to despair when all you hear is bad news and it seems to be becoming relentlessly worse but the pendulum does swing back. The recent ouster of the transphobic, homophobic and patriarchal party in power in Poland for the past three elections is great news. They are being replaced by a much more moderate coalition. I hope that is is a sign that the global right-wing surge has peaked and sanity will be restored.

No time to drop our guard. Stay safe, everyone.

Poland

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I was so encouraged by the news from Poland. “Law and Justice” — a fine piece of doublespeak if ever there was one — had spent years stifling dissent and getting control of the media, but still the voters turfed them out.

Emma

Exactly!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thanks, Dot. Lots of hugs!

Emma

Daring move

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

A daring move by the Judge and an act of honor by Justice Taft. Both these individuals have more honor and commitment to the rule of law in each of them than the entire Supreme Court.

To bad it isn't rocket science to know the ruling of that twisted body of justices. Hopefully the court they face on the courthouse steps will rule a little more fairly.

Well done.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

I hope so, too.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Plenty of well-meaning and tolerant people out there. But they’ll stay quiet most of the time if they aren’t affected closely. That’s why courageous people like Danforth and Taft are so important.

Emma

Loved...

RachelMnM's picture

How you roped us in with Cami, and the old judge trumped the court in the end. This was a great addition to the Cami story. Congrats! Thank you for sharing!

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Cami has been very fortunate

Emma Anne Tate's picture

She has had really wonderful mentors and roll-models in her professional career. And in this story, she gets to add examples of rock-solid integrity and rectitude.

Thanks for your help with this one, Rachel. As always, you da bomb, girl!

Emma

Good story, wasn't expecting

Good story, wasn't expecting the twist at the end. Is Bru's writing style contagious?

Ooops!

joannebarbarella's picture

Gotta watch those buttons!

Fantastic!

joannebarbarella's picture

If only we could see such expressions of courage in real life, but it's relatively easy to stage them in a work of fiction where the protagonists are gifted the wherewithal and the story puts the words and deeds in their mouths and actions.

I am in no way demeaning this story. It is skillfully written and well told. What I am getting at is that we have all been in situations where we have said afterwards "Gee! I wish I had said that or thought of it at the time" but the moment passed us by. Perhaps Emma has been able to put those thoughts and words into the mouths of future heroes and heroines so that they have the comebacks ready to combat the bigots.

The two judges went above and beyond in demonstrating their contempt for the Honourable Court. I just loved that "I quit."

A day to think about it.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I know just what you mean, Joanne! One of the things I loved about writing the character of Janet Seldon in MaxWarp is that she was so quick-witted that she would always come out with just the right saying in real time. I’m always a day late and a few Cheese-Its short.

Here, though, both Judge Danforth and Justice Taft had a day to think about what happened during the first attempt to hold the hearing. The Judge didn’t know he’d be allowed to speak to the Court, but he had to be prepared to explain what he was doing and why. And Ellie Taft must have been just about ready to unload on her colleagues. So . . . it’s absolutely a Hollywood ending. But I could see it. Kinda sorta. ;-)

Emma

Justice Taft..

Lucy Perkins's picture

Whilst I loved her bold gesture, and, of course, that she stood with them, it is sad that an open minded Judge has gone. One fewer of the good guys.
Marvelous story Emma. Beautifully written and emotionally wringing.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Yes . . . but.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I recall all of the people who claimed they were serving in the last administration in order to tame its worst excesses, and argued that they would have been replaced by worse people if they left. It wasn’t a wholly frivolous argument, but the painful reality most of them faced was that they weren’t really able to affect the course of events. All they really did was provide a veneer of normalcy, so that independent voters might tell themselves that things weren’t really so bad. Here, I think Justice Taft determined that she could blow a clearer trumpet blast if she was freed from the constraints of the judicial role.

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad the story moved you.

Emma

only one word

WOW


Thank you.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thank you for your enthusiastic comment!

Emma

Maybe this battlewas lost

possibly because it had to be fought on the wrong terrain.
The new geography of the press may help the die-hard stick-in-muds see their error. though since federal supreme court officials (and also state?) are appointed for life, there must be a long wait until they are replaced.
But my (mis?) understanding that those replacents are appointed by the head of state (President for federal Supreme Court, but is it the Governor for States Suprene Courts?) leaves the whole situatioin uncertain if the future incumbent is of the same political flavour as the one who appointed the deceased suprene court justice.
From this side of the duck-pond, I despair for the loss of freedom in "the land of the free".
Dave

It’s complicated.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Article III of the U.S. Constitution provides that federal judges are nominated by the President “with advice and consent of” the Senate, and hold lifetime appointments. Twelve or so years ago I appeared before a federal judge who had been appointed by Lyndon Johnson.

But states have their own constitutions, rules and procedures. Some follow the federal model, but many more don’t. Judges, including State Supreme Court judges, may be appointed for a term of years, or may have a mandatory retirement age. In some states, judges are elected to fixed terms. Some are appointed for life, but are subject to periodic confirmation votes. I did not identify the state where this story is set, but the characters explain that it is a jurisdiction where the Supreme Court Judges are elected to fixed terms and face competitive re-elections.

I absolutely think it is fair to worry whether democracy in America can survive this moment. But I would counsel against despair. Bad as it is, and dangerous as it is, we have survived worse, and may do so again.

Emma

Great story

This is a great story well written with an ending that's not the end of the story. In reality its a Chapter within the bigger story.. Absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed every word of it. I must read more of your work.

Yay!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I am delighted that you enjoyed the story, and I’m always thrilled when someone wants to read my stories. You might want to check out my author’s page (there’s a link at the end of the story), because I provide some background information that might help you find something that suits your interests and tastes.

Emma

Thank you

Kit's picture

This story was excellently written and tragically moving. Sadly these people exist and it breaks my heart to realize that they're in positions to decide the fate of us. What a world we live in when hate can be so blatent.

I like Turtles.

Thank YOU, Kit.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thank you for reading the story and giving me feedback. It’s a difficult topic. There are some truly awful people in positions of authority who see nothing but upside to targeting the trans community. But there are also wonderful people out there who fight for us. Yes, the story involves Wilkins and Burleigh, but it’s really a story about the heroes — about Camryn and Shelby, Danforth and Taft.

Emma

Couldn't agree more.

Kit's picture

It truly is about heros... because without darkness, we cannot rise above it. I really respect how you've written Camryn in general between this and her own books. Her origin was different to mine but she is someone I identify with closely.

I really love your style of writing. It's authentic and flows well and creates a wonderful image that focuses more on the emotions and thoughts of the characters than the intricate nuance of every physical detail. I find this creates a far further reaching story that really draws the viewer in to find their own image inside it.

I like Turtles.

A powerful message.

Sunflowerchan's picture

I have read this story twice, and both times I found myself being moved in different ways. I will start this review by saying this was a powerful, moving, soul wrenching story. It was grounded in reality, it seemed possible, and given the general bedlam taking place here and abroad it seemed very feasable. Second point, it deeply touched my soul, shattered my heart and then reformed me. Again you have held a mirror up to me and gently you have asked me to look deep inside me. This story awoke some very dark, troubled memories for me, memories that I have supressed. Because at one point in my life I would have sided with the villians, given the nature of my own upbringing. I'm deeply ashamed of that and reading this has lead me to the understanding that I have a lot to repent of. So thank you for that, and thirdy, this makes me question what I write about, maybe I've been too soft, or too anime like? Is that possible? I often think I have my characters live in a dream world, a world without the barbs and thorns of this world. You have shown me, one can write realistly and through the whole thing maintain an air of hopefullness. So again, thank you for that. In closing this was an powerful, moving story from start to finish. Thank you, thank you for sharing it with us and thank you most of all for being a member of this site. You make BG, a little more special by being here.

The darkness is in all of us.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I am convinced that we all have the capacity to be villains, and there were times in my youth when I was one. As a result, I do try not to get too far up on my high horse. God knows — literally— I’m no saint.

As to writing — Sunflower, you have been there to reassure me that my voice is unique and worth hearing, even among the many writers on this site who are so much better than I am. The same is true of you. Your bright anime stories are unique, and they bring joy to many. Not every story has to have real world conflict or real world logic! You have also written stories in a more realistic style, with darker overtones (Views of Benton comes to mind). As a writer, you should feel free to use the style that suits the story you want to tell.

Thank you, as always, for your thoughtful and reflective comment. You pulled something deep from this story that few people would.

Emma

Judges losing their cool

I would be very surprised if judges in a real-life court would lose their cool this way. Judges don't insist on decorum and respect out of narcissism. They have no power to enforce their decisions on their own; they depend upon the state, and ultimately the police and marshalls to enforce them, if the parties to a lawsuit don't obey them on their own. Ultimately, the only power they have is people's respect for the court. IIRC, there was a US Supreme Court decision during Andrew Jackson's presidency that never took effect because no one (esp. Andrew Jackson) was willing to enforce it.

That isn't to say that they couldn't effect the same thing as what the court wanted in this case, but they would make more of an effort to maintain enough decorum to appear to be merely following the law, rather than their personal prejudices.

(That also isn't to say that some judges don't mess up, sometimes big time. But I would be surprised if someone at the highest court of appeals would do so, especially in such a high-profile case.)

(Fun fact: in New York, "Supreme Court" is not the highest appellate court; that's the "Court of Appeals." "Supreme Court" is the term for the highest level trial court, i.e., a court where a lawsuit starts.)

Surprises

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Oh, I definitely added some dramatic effect here. Usually judges at least try to hide their biases. But the scenario isn’t as far-fetched as I might wish. Even in federal courts, judges have become increasingly willing to indulge their emotions. The late Justice Scalia was an artist that way. But in courts where judges face a polarized electorate, the urge to grandstand is joined with electoral incentives as well. The news out of Wisconsin is just an example of how ugly and personal things can get, even on a state’s highest court.

Emma

Color me surprised (and dismayed)

I'm not up on the latest "news out of Wisconsin," so I guess I stand corrected. And dismayed.

(I wonder what it says about me that the words that come to mind are "what a world, what a world.")

Am I remembering, or imagining?

I seem to recall that around 1990 a member of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court accused another of trying to run them over with a car in the court’s parking garage.

Working the court of public opinion

Well, Cami said in the beginning of this, "We want to use this case to increase our odds of winning there.” (US Supreme Court) And it is obviously where this case is headed, despite Shelby's courtroom skill.
To be honest I didn't expect this story to go like this but, given it's an Emma Tate story, it grabbed my feelings and full attention.
Thank you Emma for writing such riveting characters and stories. I look forward to whatever you share with us next.

>>> Kay

No irony

Emma Anne Tate's picture

When Cami said “that couldn’t possibly have gone better” at the end of the first day’s hearing, she wasn’t being ironic. The worse it looks here, the more it might underscore arguments that they want to make at SCOTUS — that this isn’t about worries concerning hormone therapy (which can still be prescribed to minors— just not for gender dysphoria). It’s about targeting a disfavored group. Also, people without ideological commitment are likely to react badly to the kind of bullying Burleigh and Wilkins engaged in.

Thank you for reading, Kay. I hope the story surprised you in a good way, but regardless, I very much appreciate your willingness to post a comment. Hugs,

Emma

I'm late

I get lost and wander around in a state of euphoria, blissfully unaware of the sparkly things that draw my attention. I read the first chapter when it came out. I resolved to let the chapters pile up until I could immerse in the totality at one go (or glow). Tonight I found that it only came in two parts. I read it post haste AND then again for content. Much better that way.

Wonderful story. A bit improbable with accompaniments divergence from normal decorum. I know that above all the judicial system in this country is a contest between wills with Justice forced second or less. It is obvious that you have some time in legal venue. Either that or a rare penchant for Latin.

I linked to your author page and met all your children in several filtered iterations. I will visit them later. Go feed your muse and have a good day.

Ron

Thanks, Ron!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I think it’s about as realistic as most Court-room dramas, which is to say . . . much more exciting than the real world. An appellate argument is incredibly exciting— for the lawyers who are doing the argument. For everyone else, it’s a bit of a snooze-fest. That said, I can imagine the events portrayed in this story actually occurring. Judges are a very mixed bag.

Emma