Webs Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

The drive from the bustling outskirts surrounding the S.I.D. to Ben’s home neighborhood was a short one, only about ten minutes long. Once he was out of college, Ben had made sure to buy the closest house to his workplace that he could find. The end result wasn’t the best or most luxurious place, but it was certainly convenient.

Ben walked up to the entrance of his house and knocked on the front door. A minute later the door was opened by his current live-in partner and long term girlfriend, Jacqueline.

“Hey babe.” He said.

“You didn’t tell me you’d be late.”

“I’m sorry.” He replied. “Geisinger had us all stay longer to tell us about our mission tomorrow.”

“What is it this time?”

Ben walked inside and shut the door. “Oh, it probably won’t be anything too big, just going into the Forbidden Cave to retrieve whatever remains of that dead kid we can find.”

“Sounds lovely.” Jacqueline stated sarcastically. “Honestly it seems a bit unnecessary to me. I think just a singular gravestone for him would be fine. And besides, didn’t he get crushed? What would there be left of him?”

“Well, bones probably.”

“How would you get to them?”

“Babe, we have top of the line tech with us. A few rocks shouldn’t be an issue.”

“If you say so.”

Ben went to look through the refrigerator. “So, anything interesting happen at work?” He asked.

Jacqueline laughed. “You don’t care.”

“Hey, you know, I deal with a lot of death and demons where I’m at. Sometimes I like hearing about the simpler life.”

“Simpler? Man, that department is doing bad things to your ego.” She said. “Well, if you really do care, there was a board meeting. A lot less interesting than hearing about someone getting possessed, I’m sure, but you know, it’s something.”

Ben laughed as he got out a bottle of scotch and poured himself and Jacqueline a drink. He handed one of the glasses to her and together, they clinked them.

“So…” He started. “I was thinking about taking a vacation somewhere soon. I love doing what I do, but it’s real tiring. I’m sure you’re tired too.”

Jacqueline nodded with a wistful smile.

“I’m thinking in a month we could go to Venice or Paris or Athens or really any place you’d like.”

“I’d be fine with going anywhere.”

“Well, if you had to pick anywhere in the world, where would it be?”

She tilted her head. “I don’t know, I’ll have to get back to you.”

Ben grinned and took a sip of his scotch.

“I’d really like that, going away for a week.” Jacqueline told him. “Away from the world, no worries, no problems, just you and me and wherever the road takes us.”

Ben leaned in to kiss her. “I have a surprise for you, when we get there. I think you’ll really like it.”

“It better not be some ghost or monster you caught.”

“No, no.” He chuckled. “No, I promise you it’ll be good.”

“I’ll take your word.” She replied. “So, do you want to watch something tonight? I kind of do.”

“What do you want to watch?”

“Oh, I don’t know. I’m sure there’s something stupid we can find on Hulu or HBO.”

“Something light and cheesy?” Ben suggested. “I gotta find a dead kid tomorrow, I want something happy.”

Jacqueline smiled. “Of course.”

***

The movie they chose to watch was indeed cheesy, but not exactly in the way Ben was thinking. It was one of those awful sci fi horror films from the fifties, the ones people call “B movies” today. Terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible camerawork, and a stupid plot. It had it all. It was also quite entertaining in spite of all that, or more likely because of it.

Ben wasn’t really paying attention to the movie, however. His focus was instead on Jacqueline, the incredible, beautiful woman wrapped in his arms.

He was so lucky to have her in his life. Words could never describe the love he had for her, and he stopped trying to explain it years ago. He couldn’t wait for their relationship to be taken to the next level.

The two kissed a lot that night, and every time they did, Ben knew that through whatever the future held for them, they’d be together, always.

***

As the movie ended, Ben took another drink of scotch.

“You’re so hot, Jackie.” He said. “I could just eat you up.”

Jacqueline took the bottle away from him. “I think you’ve had too much to drink tonight.”

“What?” He asked jokingly. “That’s crazy.”

She grinned. “If you have a hangover tomorrow, don’t blame me.”

“I drank a healing potion yesterday.” He replied. “I think I’m good.”

She smiled then went in to give him a deep, loving kiss.

***

Ben was mostly bullshitting about the healing potion. The one he drank wasn’t very strong, only meant to heal small injuries like cuts and scrapes. Still, he was pleasantly surprised when he was already feeling less drunk just a few hours later during his shower. At least he wouldn’t have any problems waking up tomorrow.

He turned off the water and dried himself. He checked the time once he was done, 10:36 PM. He groaned, he was going to have to go in an hour early the next day for preparatory physical training. And then he’d have to spend the whole day in the Forbidden Cave.

As the mission was getting closer, he remembered just how much he despised that cave. Dark, damp, cramped in way too many places, and full of creepy crawlies. So much danger was concentrated there, and it was built like a maze. He had no idea why anyone would go into it willingly.

Well, that was tomorrow’s problem. For now, he should just try to get some rest.

He walked up to the bedroom he and Jacqueline shared and, seeing her already fast asleep, he crashed into the bed with her and shut his eyes, ready to sleep for the long day ahead of him.

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos