Jacinta, part 21

Printer-friendly version

“Umm, okay,” the young man says. “It is kinda late, though.”

“I know, but this won’t take long,” I say. “Are- is anyone else here, are we alone?”

“Umm, yeah,” comes the reply as I sit down and try to calm myself. “Do you want anything to drink?”

“Just- just water will be fine, thanks,” I reply. And I’ll try not to tip it all over myself to calm down, I think to myself.

“Okay,” my host says as he returns from the kitchen and hands me my drink. “So… What’s up?”

“What’s up,” I reply, “is that I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately, about- about you and me, Tom.”

“Jacinta, I thought- I thought we’d agreed that there shouldn’t be a, you know, ‘you and me’,” Tom says, causing my stomach to churn. No, no, no…

“Things can change,” I whisper. “People can- WE can change. Can you- can you honestly say you’d never consider going out with me?”

“…No, of course I can’t say that,” Tom sighs. “Jacinta, I- I DO like you. Really, I do, but- well, not JUST as a friend, but us being friends, it- it means a lot to me. I don’t want to, you know, threaten that.”

“But would it threaten it, really?” I ask.

“…This week alone, three other guys have asked you out,” Tom says quietly. “Why would you pick me over any of them?”

“Because the more I think about it,” I reply, “the more I realise that I don’t want to spend my life with them. I do with you. You really are my ‘Prince Charming’.” And the more I think about it, the more obvious it seems in hindsight.

Tom is unlike all of the other guys I've dated, which is what makes him so right for me- and also why it took me so long to realise that he is my 'Prince Charming'. Sure, he's not as funny as Phil and certainly not as funny as Lee, but he does have a better sense of humour than Simon. He's certainly more sensible than Phil or Lee, has a more stable career than Simon or Lee, and is much more easy-going with my friends than Phil or even Simon. And yet, despite his 'averageness', he doesn't feel middle of the road. I can talk to him whenever I want about whatever I want, have a laugh with him, share my work concerns with him... He's the perfect friend a girl can have. And yes, he's sexy as hell, but that's not what makes him 'Prince Charming'- he has the intangible quality that makes me want to spend time with him, to open up to him and let him into my heart. He's the perfect guy, and what makes him so perfect is that he's far too humble to ever acknowledge it. And, annoyingly, that also means he's far too chivalrous to simply take advantage of me...

“…But are you REALLY sure?” Tom asks, making my heart sink. I’ve been rejected enough times to know what being let down gently feels like, and I know what the usual reason is too.

“Is it- is it because I’m trans?” I ask, internally grimacing. I hate playing the ‘trans card’, but in this circumstance, I really need to know- after all, just because someone’s okay with having a transgender friend, it doesn’t automatically mean they’ll be okay with having a transgender lover.

“No, of course not,” Tom replies. “I mean, sure, I knew ‘Jason’, but I- I don’t see any ‘Jason’ in you, Jacinta. You- umm, I- and I mean this as a compliment I really do, I- I don’t see you as, you know, ‘different’ from any other woman.”

“…Okay, I’ll take THAT as a compliment,” I say with a nervous chuckle. “So… What’s the problem?” I feel my entire body tense up as I ask the question- it’s one I certainly didn’t want to ask, but one I know I need to ask.

“It’s just I- I like you,” Tom says. “I like you a lot, really, and I- I don’t want to risk loving you.”

“Why should love be a risk?” I ask.

“So many things could go wrong,” Tom whispers.

“How about focussing on the things that could- that WILL go right?” I retort, before surprising Tom with a slow, gentle kiss. A moment of silence passes between us as we gaze into each other’s eyes before Tom leans in and kisses me again. Deeply, passionately, and making my entire body turn into jelly at the thought that this might just be the man I spend the rest of my life kissing...

“…This is a ‘yes’, by the way,” Tom says with an excited chuckle. “As in, you know, yes, I will go-“ I grin before silencing Tom with yet another kiss, one that lasts even longer than the previous two combined and ends with both of us both grinning and panting heavily.

“B- bedroom?” Tom asks, grinning as I eagerly nod before we help each other to our feet.

Half an hour later, I’m laid in bed, naked save for a fine sheen of sweat, my fingers linked with Tom’s as it suddenly dawns on me that my search for ‘Prince Charming’, the journey that defined my life for so long, is finally at an end. I’ve spent so long searching that actually ‘finding’ feels almost anticlimactic in a way. And yet, I don’t feel deflated, I feel elated. The start of a new relationship is always exciting, but this feels especially so. I’m finally with a guy with whom I can truly be myself, with whom I’m just as comfortable talking as I am making love, and who most importantly feels the same way about me. I already know that I love Tom. And for the first time ever, I’m confident that my man will love me just as much as I love him…

Tom and I lay in bed talking for the next two hours, discussing our lives, our dreams and our hopes for the future- more specifically, our future together. It’s only when Tom’s phone beeps to inform us that it’s 11pm do we realise that we do both actually have work tomorrow, and as eager as we are to ‘pick up where we left off’, both of us should probably get some sleep, and both of us should also go into work separately tomorrow until we’re ready to let everyone know about our relationship. Reluctantly, I pull my dress and my shoes back on before summoning an Uber on my phone.

“Hardly the carriage ‘Cinderella’ should be riding off in,” Tom teases, giving me another gentle kiss as my taxi arrives.

“Meh, a pumpkin won’t get me home by midnight,” I giggle, exchanging another kiss with my new boyfriend before sighing. “Though I hope that when midnight does come, all of this doesn’t vanish.”

“Umm, well this is reality, not a fairy tale,” Tom teases, making me roll my eyes.

“You know what I mean,” I sigh. “I hope that you don’t wake up tomorrow morning and, you know, come to your senses or something…”

“Nah, not going to happen,” Tom says. “I want to make a go of this, make it work. Like you said- let’s focus on the things that will go right. And besides, what type of ‘Prince Charming’ goes in for one-night stands?”

“Good point,” I reply, before sighing as the taxi driver beeps his horn. “I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? And I promise not to put this on Facebook until we’re both ready.”

“Okay,” Tom whispers, giving me one more kiss before I leave the flat.

Merely two minutes into the ride home, though, I find myself already missing my new boyfriend, and without thinking I get my phone out of my handbag and log in to Facebook, sighing with disappointment when I see that he’s offline despite the fact that he literally just told me he was going to get an early night. My smile returns, however, when I see that there is one person online who I can talk to- and I do need to tell someone, even if it is just one person about tonight's events. Not that my BFF is ‘just’ one person, of course.

‘Hey O,’ I type. ‘You’re up late!'

‘As are you,’ Ophelia’s reply reads. ‘I am finalising a design I aim to present at work tomorrow.’

‘It’s not my Andromeda dress is it?’ I ask with a ‘winking’ emoji.

‘Absolutely not,’ Ophelia replies with a ‘sticking out tongue’ emoji. ‘Something as precious as that could never be sold in a shop.’

‘D’aww,’ I type with a ‘smiling blushing’ emoji.

‘You will see the finished item very soon, I promise,’ Ophelia types. ‘The more important question is why are you still awake at 11:30pm? I thought you were at work tomorrow interviewing Alexa and Jenny?’

‘I am,’ I reply. ‘In fact I’m going to bed as soon as I get home.’ I grin as Ophelia types her reply, hoping that she realises the implication of what I’m saying.

‘And why exactly were you out this late?’ Ophelia asks, making me giggle.

‘Testing to see whether or not you were right,’ I reply with a ‘sticking out tongue’ emoji of my own. ‘To see whether or not my new boyfriend really is ‘Prince Charming’.’

‘And were we both right?’ Ophelia asks. ‘Was Tom your Prince Charming?'

‘You did not know that in advance!’ I type, rolling my eyes as I earn a ‘smug’ emoji in response.

‘Are you forgetting that I am your best friend, fairy godmother and soul mate?’ Ophelia asks. ‘Just as you are mine. I have known all along that Tom is the ideal man for you, just as you have. The multiple occasions on which the two of you were brought together cannot be mere coincidence.’ I smile as I think back to the times when Tom and I unexpectedly ran into each other- on my first day of university, at Nikki and Sarah’s wedding, and when I finally started work for X-1 magazine, he was there. At the time, I put it down to coincidence- after all, it’s hardly unusual for someone studying in the same field as me to end up working at the same place as me- but I can’t help but wonder if Ophelia’s right, if I do have a ‘fairy godmother’ out there looking out for me, guiding me (albeit in a really roundabout way) toward my ‘Prince Charming’…

‘Meh, maybe,’ I reply with a ‘shrugging’ emoji. ‘It’s too late to think about that now anyway.’

‘On that we can both definitely agree,’ Ophelia types. ‘I should now head to bed anyway, I have lost my train of thought somewhat.’

‘Sorry,’ I type with a ‘blushing’ emoji.

‘You do not ever need to apologise for wanting to talk to me,’ my BFF types. ‘Just as with my door, my Facebook is always open to you. Never forget that I love you, Jacinta.’

‘I love you too, Ophelia,’ I reply, wiping a tear from my eye as I type. ‘Thank you for always being there for me.’

‘I shall continue to be there for you for as long as I can,’ Ophelia types, eliciting another tear. ‘Even if you now have someone else to satisfy your needs.’

‘I’ll always need you in my life though,’ I type. ‘When you get to bed, send your husband my love.’

‘And send mine to Tom when next you see him,’ Ophelia types. ‘I am happy for you, Jacinta. And I am confident that you will find as much happiness with Tom as I have with Telemachus. I shall see you on Friday if not before.’

‘Sweet dreams,’ I type with a ‘hugging’ emoji that my BFF reciprocates before she logs out of Facebook. I allow myself a little chuckle as I get out of my taxi and head back into my flat- Ophelia truly is my soulmate if she could recognise my 'Prince Charming' even before I could. And as much as I know I will love Tom, there’s a large part of me that will always love my BFF more. But that’s okay- I have more than enough room in my heart for not just Tom and Ophelia, but all of the friends and family who have supported me over the years. And Tom knows Ophelia, and knows how close the two of us are, so I have no doubt he won't mind 'sharing'.

Unsurprisingly, after climbing into bed, I struggle to drift off, my mind racing as I think about what the future holds for me- or rather, me and Tom. Just because I’ve decided that Tom is my ‘Prince Charming’, it doesn’t automatically guarantee that the relationship will last, that we’ll get married, or engaged, or even still be together by this time next year. And yet, the more I think about it, the more confident I am that the relationship will succeed. Tom and I have so much in common- our hometown, our career, our friends, to name but a few things- and even our differences seem to complement each other. And let's not forget the fact that I had doubts about all of my previous boyfriends- Simon, Lee, Phil, everyone. But not Tom. He truly is the best of all worlds...

“Wake up, it’s a beautiful morning…” My phone blares, waking me from my semi-slumber and making me sigh, before the events of yesterday evening come flooding back to me and I smile. Before I even get out of bed, I grab my phone and switch off my alarm before logging into Facebook. My grin widens when I see that my new boyfriend is online, and widens further when I go to type a message to him, only to find that he’s already composing a message for me.

My smile falters slightly, though, when Tom takes over a minute to compose his message. Maybe he’s come to his senses? Maybe he’s already regretting last night? A million worst-case scenarios run through my head in the seconds before the message comes through, but when it does pop up on screen, it's confirmation that I was just being paranoid- and Tom really is Prince Charming.

‘Morning babe,’ Tom types with a ‘heart’ emoji.

‘Morning sexy,’ I reply with a ‘kissing’ emoji. ‘All that time typing and that’s all you wrote?’

‘It’s our first morning as boyfriend and girlfriend,’ Tom types. ‘I had to get the message just right.'

‘It took over a minute to decide on ‘morning babe’?’ I ask with a ‘sticking out tongue’ emoji.

‘It took that long to get the emoji right,’ Tom replies with the same emoji. ‘They didn’t have a ‘key into keyhole’ one no matter where I looked.’

‘Cheeky,’ I type, giggling out loud. ‘I was worried you’d come to your senses lol.’

‘I did that last night,’ Tom types with another ‘heart’ emoji that makes me sigh happily. ‘What time are you planning on getting into the office?’

‘Usual time,’ I reply, before grimacing. ‘We’re going to have to tell Terri, aren’t we?’

‘Yeah, she’s going to need to know,’ Tom types with a ‘neutral expression’ emoji. ‘But we can tell her later, next week if need be. I’ll try to get in half an hour after you do, throw them off a bit until we’re both ready to tell them.’

‘Okay,’ I type. ‘We’ll need to head out quickly anyway to meet Alexa and Jenny. Are you sure you’re okay doing the interview?’

‘I did virtually all of it last night anyway lol,’ Tom types. ‘I’ll be okay. I’m going to need to get to know all of your friends anyway, aren’t I?’ I giggle at the ‘winking’ emoji Tom sends, even though I know his message means he’s as serious about the relationship as I am.

‘I’ll set off for the office first then,’ I type. ‘See you there!’ I punctuate my message with a barrage of ‘kissing’ emojis, confident that however many I send, I won't be laying it on too thick.

‘See you there,’ Tom says, sending one more ‘heart’ emoji before I sign off and go to get showered and dressed.

As I shower, my thoughts once again wander, and I end up pondering whether Tom would be as interested in me if I looked the way I did eighteen months ago- well, the way I looked naked, anyway. Many of my previous boyfriends, Simon and Lee included, have said that ‘it’ really was a little thing, both physically and figuratively. But ‘it’ was still a thing, as is my skeleton, my size nine feet, my jawline- off of which I still have to shave the odd hair, even today. However, if the last few years- and especially the last 24 hours- have taught me anything, it’s that I shouldn’t waste time or energy worrying about what might have been. What’s in the past is in the past, and there’s no sense fretting about it when I have a great future to look forward to!

Even if I am going to have to find a way to let Simon, Lee and Phil down gently…

After showering and shaving off a few stray hairs, not just from my face and my chin, but from my legs and my arms as well, I head back to my bedroom to get dressed for the day. As I’m going to be out and about today, I opt for a light, comfortable outfit consisting of a short-sleeved dark khaki top and a floaty purple skirt, along with my favourite pair of Converse trainers. After touching up my make-up, brushing out my hair to its fullest volume and spritzing myself with my favourite perfume, I grab my laptop and my handbag and make my way to the nearby tube stop.

Within minutes, I’m walking into the office of X-1 magazine, trying desperately not to grin too widely and give the game away. However, despite my best efforts, a smile still seeps through, and is immediately picked up on by our deputy editor.

“Hey Jacinta!” Lizzie says in a half-cheerful, half-teasing voice. “You’re looking pleased with yourself today?”

“Meh, I just- I just had a good night, heh!” I reply with a grin.

“Glad to hear it!” Lizzie giggles. “Terri wants to have a word with you while you’re waiting for Tom to get in, by the way.”

“Why- why would I be waiting for Tom to get in?” I ask in a very over-defensive way.

“Umm, ‘cause you’re going out with him?” Lizzie asks, giggling with confusion as my eyes suddenly widen. How could you possibly know already? I think to myself.

“Umm… Sorry?” I squeak.

“Later today?” Lizzie replies. “You’re going out with him to interview and photograph your American friends? Tom sent me an email, saying he was running late as he wanted to finalise the questions he’s going to ask first.”

“Ah- yeah, that,” I say. “Yeah, umm, we- we’ll head out together- I mean, we’ll head out once we’ve got everything ready. I, umm, I’ll go and talk to Terri, then…”

“Umm, okay,” Lizzie says in an uncertain voice. “What- what did you think I meant, Jacinta?”

“Oh, umm, nothing!” I reply, before hastily scurrying off to our editor’s office. “Talk to you in a bit!”

“Sure…” Lizzie says as I head off to Terri’s office, taking a deep breath once I’m inside.

“…Morning, Jacinta,” Terri says in a stoic voice as I cringe. “Normally I’d prefer it if you knocked, but I did just see you talking to Lizzie and I told her to send you in when you arrived, so, well- yeah.”

“Yeah,” I grimace. “Sorry…”

“I’ll not fire you this time,” Terri chuckles. “I just wanted to know if you’ve had the chance to look over the brief I sent you last night, about the 'street fashion show' next week, after AngelCon?”

“Ah, not yet, sorry,” I reply. “I was kinda really busy last night, and-“

“It’s okay,” Terri shrugs. “I did send it REALLY late last night, heh. Though I’d appreciate it if you could look it over before you go out with Tom.” And you had to word it that way too, didn’t you? I think to myself.

“Ye- yeah…” I say, before grimacing. “About that…”

“What, have your American friends backed out of the interview?” Terri asks.

“Oh- no, they’re really eager for it,” I reply with a chuckle. “It- it’s me and Tom, umm, I- I should probably wait until he gets in…”

“…Jacinta?” Terri asks. “Is there a problem? ‘Cause if you and Tom don’t want to work together-“

“Oh- no, really, it’s not that,” I say. “It’s just that- ugh. You’ll find out eventually, I guess… Tom and I, we- we’re kinda going out. Together. With each other, I mean. As a couple.” I bite my lip as Terri ponders the news for a brief moment, before a wide grin spreads across her face.

“Well, finally!” Terri giggles. “It took you two long enough to realise the bloody obvious!”

“Umm, okay…?” I reply.

“As long as it doesn’t affect your work- and I’m confident it won’t- then I don’t see there’s a problem,” Terri says, her smile widening. “Just believe me when I say that I AM happy for the two of you. How many people have you told?”

“Just my best friend,” I reply. “And, well, now you as well.”

“D’aww,” Terri coos. “Well, I’ll keep it to myself for now, until you’re ready to tell everyone else.”

“Yeah, also, umm, Tom doesn’t know I’ve told you yet,” I grimace.

“I’ll try to look surprised when he does,” Terri says with a wink. “I’ll let you get everything set up for the interview- let me know if there’s anything else I can do.”

“Thanks,” I say with a nervous chuckle as the adrenaline starts to fade from my body. “Will do!” I smile as I exit the office, before heading to my desk and lowering myself into my seat with a loud sigh.

I try to focus on my work, reading the email that Terri sent and clearing space in my camera’s memory for today’s photoshoot, but as hard as I try, I can’t keep my mind off of Tom, and when the man himself arrives half an hour later, a smile involuntarily spreads across my face. As I gaze into his eyes from across the room, a smile slowly spreads across his face too, and it takes us a few seconds to notice that everyone else in the office has stopped what they were doing to look at the two of us.

“…Umm, hi everyone,” Tom says, his cheeks slowly reddening as he makes his way toward his desk (which thankfully isn’t next to mine).

“Hey Tom,” Alex says in an overtly teasing tone. “Good night last night?” I sigh as Tom’s eyes go as wide as dinner plates, having clearly assumed the same thing I did when I spoke with Lizzie earlier.

“After we left the pub, he means,” Josh clarifies, visibly relieving my boyfriend.

“Umm, ye- yeah, it was great!” Tom chuckles nervously.

“Cool,” Alex says with a knowing grin, before turning back to his work. A low giggle emerges from him and Josh, though, when Tom comes over to my desk to talk about our upcoming shoot.

“…Do they ALL know?” Tom hisses, sounding almost angry, before taking a deep breath to calm himself down. “…Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I whisper. “And if they do, I definitely didn’t tell them, it’s just- ugh. I dunno.”

“I’d rather not be giggled at in my own workplace, that’s all,” Tom sighs.

“Yeah, well take it from someone who knows, it could be worse,” I say, before sighing sadly as Tom mumbles a barely audible apology. “Hey, it’s okay. Honestly. It’s not as bad as it used to be, but even now, after I’ve had the operation, it- it can be pretty bad sometimes. Though even I’ll admit I don’t have it as bad as other T-girls, or even the other girls- and guys- who’ve got my tattoo. But- well, I do seem to be a magnet for it at times. And all the other weird sitcom shit that seems to happen to me ALL the time. You sure you’re ready to be the boyfriend of a neurotic, transgender, less professional version of Ally McBeal?”

“100%,” Tom replies, making me giggle happily. “Besides, if you’re Ally McBeal, does that make me Robert Downey Jr?”

“If he was better looking, maybe,” I tease, making Tom giggle. “…You’ve seen Ally McBeal?”

“A couple of times,” Tom replies. “My mum has the box set, she loves shows by the guy who created it, like the Practice, Boston Legal, that sort of thing.”

“It’s one of my favourite shows too,” I say. “Apart from the ending. It was just, you know, really sudden? Like, no proper ‘happy ending’, she just buggers off to New York and leaves everyone else behind.”

“Mm,” Tom says. “Unlike your story, which DOES have a happy ending.”

“Yeah, it does,” I say with a happy, contented smile.

“So, then,” Tom says. “We should head out in a few minutes, I told Alexa and Jenny I’d meet them in St James’s Park just after 10am, it seemed like the ideal place and it’s a beautiful day, so- yeah. And I thought, you know, afterwards we could, like, have a walk through the park? Together, I mean.”

“…Are you asking me out on a date?” I tease, giggling as my boyfriend rolls his eyes.

“Sure, let’s go with that,” Tom replies, making me giggle again.

“Well… it IS a nice day,” I say, my smile ever widening. “I just need to get my outdoor shoot kit ready, then we should be good to go.”

“Cool,” Tom says. “So, umm, when will we, you know, tell everyone here? ‘Cause I kinda want to tell my parents first, that sort of thing, and I thought we could, you know, go down to Brighton and do that tomorrow?”

“Yeah,” I say, trying not to grimace as I remember that I’ve already jumped the gun with Terri. Hopefully Tom won’t be TOO angry… “I, umm, I want to tell my dad too, I mean, after the interview we did with him, he’ll definitely be happy, heh!”

“Yeah, your dad’s a nice guy,” Tom says. “Well, umm, anyway, we don’t want to keep your friends waiting, do we?”

“Nope,” I reply, before pausing as I realise something I've not considered. “We’re- umm, we may have to keep this a secret from Alexa and Jenny. I mean, the second they know, literally everyone else will, heh.”

“Well- okay,” Tom says, before closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. Much to my surprise, he then stands up, before grabbing my hand and virtually dragging me out of my chair as well. “Everyone, if I just have your attention for a couple of seconds?” I feel my cheeks start to redden as every pair of eyes in the office- even Terri’s, from her private office- turn in our direction.

“As of last night,” Tom announces, “Jacinta and I are officially a couple.” Despite my embarrassment, I can’t help but smile as my colleagues- no, my friends- all grin as well, some even letting out small cheers of approval. “We’re only just, you know, getting settled into the relationship, but we thought we should let you all know the good news.” My grin widens as Tom looks lovingly into my eyes, before giving me a gentle kiss- something that earns a lot more cheers from our friends!

“About fucking time you both came to your senses!” Alex chuckles.

“Yes, well, we would stay and celebrate, but we have an interview to go and do,” Tom chuckles as we grab our equipment and head out of the office. Once we’re en route to the nearest tube station, our fingers linked with each other, I turn to my boyfriend with a quizzical look on my face.

“So, then,” I tease, “what changed your mind?”

“Who says I changed my mind?” Tom shrugs, before chuckling and sighing. “I figured- I figured there’s no point in hiding it, you know? I mean, it’s not like it’s a deep, dark secret or anything, right? We’re not doing anything wrong by going out with each other.”

“…You know there will be people who disagree with you, right?” I whisper, bringing a sad look to my boyfriend’s face.

“…I know,” Tom sighs. “And I am, you know, expecting a bit of, like, pushback from some of my family. But that’s their problem.”

“Well- yeah, I guess,” I grimace. “If your family don’t like the thought of us together, it is kinda our problem too, you know?”

“Well- yeah, I guess…” Tom says with another sigh. “But I’m not going to let them change my mind, Jacinta. I promise you that.”

“Thanks,” I whisper, sighing happily as we board the tube and I lean into his tall, masculine body.

Of course, I know that despite the fact that I’ve found ‘Prince Charming’, I’m not automatically entitled to my happy ending. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t wondered how the ‘real’ Prince Charming’s family would’ve reacted to him marrying a servant girl, and while I'm not all that well acquainted with Tom's family, the fact that he’s nervous about their reaction to us is enough to make me nervous about it as well. However, the continued presence of Tom’s fingers linking with mine is more than enough to calm any nerves that I might have…

A short while later, we emerge from St James's Park tube station and make our way down Buckingham Gate toward Buckingham Palace, something that definitely makes me smirk. With all my recent thoughts about ‘Prince Charming’, could there be a more appropriate landmark for our first-ever visit as a couple? After posing for a photo together in front of the palace gates, we make the short walk into St James’s Park where we find my American friends waiting for us on one of the park’s many benches.

“Hey girlies!” I giggle as I greet Alexa and Jenny with a hug each. “Thanks for agreeing to this at short notice, hehe!”

“Are you kidding?” Jenny squeaks excitedly. “This is SO exciting, I’ve never been interviewed by a magazine before!”

“And it’ll be nice to be interviewed about something other than the coffee shop lawsuit,” Alexa says with a happy chuckle.

“Well, like I assured you last night, we won’t talk about anything you don’t want to,” Tom reassures my friends as he greets them with a polite handshake each, while I set up my camera equipment. “We’re just going to ask a few questions about how you met, your life together, some of the challenges you’ve faced- but if I touch on anything too sensitive, let me know and I’ll move on. We just want our readers to get an idea of, well…”

“What makes ‘Jexy’ ‘Jexy’,” I say, earning playful sighs from my two friends and a bashful chuckle from my boyfriend. “Also, Tom here doesn’t usually do interviews himself, he’s the guy that normally arranges them, he’s only doing it today because of how short notice it is, so go easy on him, please?”

“We’ll think about it,” Jenny replies with a smug grin.

“How are our outfits?” Alexa asks as she and Jenny show off their chic midriff-baring tops and short skirts. “’Cause you told us to dress the way we normally did, but if you want us to go back to Snikki’s and change, we-“

“They’re fine, honestly,” I reply. “X-1 is primarily a fashion mag, but we do a lot of ‘general interest’ stories as well.”

“Like Jacinta’s dad earlier this year,” Tom says, making me giggle and roll my eyes.

“Though if you did bring over those clubbing dresses you wore last February…” I tease my friends, who both roll their eyes in response.

“That dress was gorgeous, but so tight that if I got goosebumps you could see them through the fabric!" Jenny says, making me giggle.

“Well, that’s Ophelia’s designs for you,” I say. “She’s made me a couple of dresses that are so tight you could see the outline of a tattoo, hehe!”

“Well… If I had the same tattoo as you, I wouldn’t mind that too much,” Alexa says with a wistful smile.

“Why don’t you have the tattoo?” Tom asks. “I know it’s become popular among a lot of transgender people over here, both guys and girls.”

“Meh, I dunno,” Alexa shrugs as I reach for my phone to compose a text message. “It just seems like, you know, a private thing? I dunno.”

“You and your family aren’t against tattoos in principle, are you?” Tom asks. “’Cause my mum is REALLY anti-tattoo.” I bite my lip as Tom looks apologetically in my direction. “Another reason why- erm, actually, never mind…”

“Umm… Okay?” Jenny asks confusedly as an awkward silence falls over the four of us.

“…Anyway,” I say. “Do you two have to be anywhere else today?”

“Nope!” Jenny replies with a grin. “We’ve got, like, no fixed plans today, probably going to check out the park, the palace…”

“…Harrods?” I tease my friends. “I think I can take those blushes as a ‘yes’, hehe! I’m all set up, we can start whenever you guys want.”

“Okay, then!” Tom says, lowering himself onto the seat next to my friends and opening up his iPad. “Can you just give me a little bit of background on yourselves, where you grew up and how you first met?” I smile as my boyfriend flashes a subtle smile at me while recording my American friends’ answers to his questions.

The interview lasts about forty minutes, during which I take several candid photos and even more posed photos of the couple, before packing my gear away and breathing an over-dramatic sigh of relief.

“Now I’ve got the fun of sitting in a hot, sweaty office and editing all of these,” I say with a mock pout, before letting out a girlish, excited giggle. “Seriously though, you two were naturals in front of the camera.”

“Thanks,” Alexa says with a grin just as wide as her wife’s. “Are you heading back to the office now?”

“Well, I was planning to… in a bit,” I reply, my grin quickly turning devilish. “There’s a bit of London I’d like to show you guys first that I reckon you’ll like.”

“Umm, okay…” Alexa says as Tom slides up next to me.

“Umm, I- I thought we were going to take the rest of the day for ourselves?” Tom asks, making me grimace, especially as a confused look comes over my friends’ faces.

“…And I thought you two weren’t a couple?” Jenny asks, an excited look coming to her and her wife’s eyes as both Tom as I start to giggle nervously.

“Yeah, well, we- we WEREN’T,” I reply.

“But we are now,” Tom says, linking his fingers with mine as our friends squeak excitedly.

“Oh my god, this is so cool!” Alexa squeaks, fanning herself with her hands. “Me and Jen were just saying last night that you two would be SO good together!” I giggle as the two excited Americans ambush me with a tight group hug, which Tom is quickly drawn into as well.

“We should celebrate!” Jenny says excitedly. “We should have a party tonight! I’m sure Snikki wouldn’t mind everyone coming around, right?”

“Whoa, just- just give us a sec, please!” I say with a euphoric chuckle. “We haven’t even told our parents yet, for one thing. And outside of work, you’re actually the first of our friends to find out, heh!”

“Ah- sorry…” Alexa mumbles, her cheeks slowly reddening. “Jen’s right, though, we SHOULD celebrate. Umm, once you’ve told everyone, anyway.”

“Which we will, soon, I promise,” I say. “Both the ‘telling everyone’ and the ‘celebrating’ parts. We’ll definitely celebrate before you go back to America.”

“Yep, absolutely,” Tom concurs with a wide grin. “Even if the next few days are going to be a bit busy, heh!”

“Ah, of course, AngelCon!” Jenny says. “God, I’d almost forgotten about that, I’m so excited!”

“I’ll text you to let you know when we’ll be having the party,” I say with a giddy, albeit tired smile. “We- we’d better let you get to Harrods before it closes, hehe!”

“What about this thing you were going to show us?” Alexa asks, making me grimace as I remember the text message I’d sent earlier.

“…Good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, I guess,” I reply with a grin as Alexa frowns in confusion.

Forty-five minutes later, Tom and I, along with Jenny, Nikki, Ian and several other friends of ours are standing with proud grins on our faces as the tattoo artist puts the finishing touches to a brand-new tattoo on Alexa’s arm- the very same tattoo that adorns my shoulder and many of our friends' bodies too.

“Oh my god, this is so cool!” Nikki squeaks as she examines her American counterpart’s new artwork. “You know there’s no taking it back now, right?”

“Like I was ever going to?” Alexa retorts with a giddy giggle. “This is just so cool though, thank you all for coming- thank you all for letting me be, well, one of the group, heh!”

“It just wouldn’t be complete without you,” I say softly, earning a smile and a single tear from my American friend as we exit the tattoo parlour and head back through the crowded streets of London.

“…Now can we go to Harrods?” Jenny asks in a voice that makes her sound almost like a toddler. “Pleeeease?”

“Yes, of course we can,” Alexa replies, earning ‘aww’s from all of us as she placates her wife with a gentle kiss.

“Meanwhile, the rest of us have some actual work to be getting back to!” My flatmate says, smirking as our American guests simultaneously stick their tongues out at her.

“Before you do, though,” I say, grinning nervously as I link my fingers with my boyfriend’s. “I- sorry, we have a little thing we want to tell everyone. Tom and I, we-“

“We’re a couple,” my boyfriend finishes my sentence for me. Almost immediately, all of my friends’ jaws drop and Tom and I find ourselves squashed in one of the biggest group hugs I've ever experienced- and certainly one of the loudest too, judging by the excited squeals of my friends! All of this makes me wonder one thing- were all of them waiting for me and Tom to get together?

It takes ten whole minutes (and a lot of questions from our friends) for Tom and I to free ourselves from the scrum. Naturally, Jexy's offer of a party is immediately upheld by Nikki and Sarah, with everyone else present immediately being invited as well (and, of course, accepting their invitations). Despite the excitement, though, Tom and I politely defer the offer until another day- after all, we do still need to tell our families about us, and that's just for starters.

“…Well, everyone knows now,” I say with a tired chuckle as Tom and I take the tube back to the office.

“Good,” Tom says with a smile. “I mean it, really. I honestly do want everyone to know that we’re going out.”

“Even though we’ve only been going out for less than 24 hours?” I ask.

“You know, it- it doesn’t feel like it,” Tom replies. “It- and I don’t mean this in a negative way, I really don’t, it- it feels like we’ve been together a lot longer than that.”

“…I- I actually feel the same way,” I say. “Like, we’ve both always known that this is how it was meant to be, but we’ve only just admitted it to ourselves? I dunno if that makes any sense…”

“It makes perfect sense to me,” Tom says quietly, making me smile as he gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

“I just wish we’d figured it out a little earlier,” I snort.

“Well, what’s important is that we have now,” Tom reassures me. “And what we do next.”

“…After getting back to the office, you mean?” I ask.

“Well- yeah, after that,” Tom says, smirking as I giggle and gently lean into his tall frame. “I’m specifically thinking about how we tell my parents, and your dad…”

“Well, I can tell you exactly how it’ll go with my dad,” I chuckle. “I’ll say, ‘hey dad, me and Tom are a couple’, and he’ll go ‘okay’ and get right back to doing what he was doing before.”

“I think- I think you might not be giving him enough credit there,” Tom chuckles.

“Don’t be so sure,” I retort. “That’s exactly how he responded to my coming out. BOTH of them.”

“How- how did he react to your ex-boyfriends?” Tom asks hesitantly.

“…Cautiously,” I reply. “But you- well… He’s always liked you, you know? When we interviewed him after Millionaire, he immediately jumped to a conclusion and was really disappointed when it turned out he was wrong.”

“Well, regardless, your dad will probably take it better than my parents,” Tom sighs. “So, then, when do- when do you want to go down to Brighton to tell everyone? I mean, we both have tomorrow off, and-“

“Tomorrow sounds great,” I say softly. “Tom, you- you’re not regretting any- well, any of this, are you?”

“Of course not,” Tom replies, squeezing my hand more tightly and gazing into my eyes, letting me know without saying anything that he means every word. Nonetheless, I can’t help but worry that I’m going to have to work even harder for my happy ending than I originally thought…

We return to the office a short while later, where we are naturally greeted by the playful cheers of our colleagues. Despite their ‘enthusiasm’, we manage to keep our hands off of each other for the rest of the day, instead focussing on our work, before heading back to our respective homes at 5pm- though not before giving each other a long kiss first, much to our colleagues’ delight!

I let out a happy sigh as I walk through the front door of my flat, before kicking off my shoes, dropping my handbag on the coffee table, and yelping with surprise as I find myself staring straight into the eyes of my flatmate.

“Good afternoon!” Katie says in a teasing voice, giggling as I roll my eyes at her.

“What- what exactly are you doing here?” I ask.

“What, you mean other than the fact that I live here?” Katie replies.

“You’ve not been doing much ‘living here’ in the last few weeks,” I retort.

“Well, maybe not,” Katie concedes. “But I figure someone had better sleep here overnight, given that you probably won’t!”

“Hilarious,” I snort sarcastically as Katie giggles again. “And for your information, yes, I am sleeping here tonight, Tom and I are going down to Brighton tomorrow.”

“…You guys are really serious about this, aren’t you?” Katie asks in a much more sincere voice than previously.

“Any reason we wouldn’t be?” I ask.

“Well, for starters, all of your exes,” Katie replies, before grimacing. “I- that- that may have come out wrong.”

“Just a bit, yeah,” I say, before letting out a long sigh. “Not that you’re wrong, though…”

“I’m pretty sure you’re right about Tom, though,” Katie says with a wide albeit sincere grin.

“…Yeah, same here,” I chuckle. “Not that we’re going to, well, do ‘an Ophelia’ and, well, jump straight in, if you get what I mean. I mean, we’ve only been going out for 24 hours, but-“

“But you already know how right it feels?” Katie asks, her grin widening as I nod. “SO cool. And yet, you two still don’t have any plans for tonight?”

“Well, we’re gonna be on the road early,” I reply with a shrug. “And we both have to be up early on Saturday for you know what…”

“Well- yes, true,” Katie concedes. “Will you be at Charlotte’s tomorrow night, though? The big pre-AngelCon party, a chance to show off your new guy to everyone?”

“…Depends on whether or not Tom wants to go,” I reply, grimacing as my flat mate rolls her eyes at me.

“Don’t- don’t just become, you know, his doormat, now that you’ve finally got your ‘Prince Charming’,” Katie cautions me.

“I won’t, I won’t,” I reply. “I just- I just don’t want to, you know, risk things…”

“Well, take it from someone who saw the way Tom was looking at you today,” Katie says. “You and he are PERFECT for each other, and he knows it.”

“…Thanks,” I giggle. “So… You and Charlie AREN’T spending tonight glued together, then?”

“Not tonight,” Katie replies, before showing me her phone screen, which is currently open on Facebook messenger. “I’m too busy telling MRS Yates all the gossip!”

“Oh- god, Lauren,” I groan. “Knew I was forgetting someone… And do NOT tell her I said that!”

“Like I would?” Katie says with a devilish grin that tells me that she probably already has. “She’s thrilled for you too, obviously. And looking forward to having someone other than me and Charlie to go on double dates with!”

“Maybe we should triple date?” I chuckle. “Or quadruple with Ophelia and Telemachus? Or quintuple with Snikki? Or- or maybe I should, you know, stop getting ahead of myself…”

“…Jacinta?” Katie asks, concerned by my sudden drop in enthusiasm.

“Ugh, I- I dunno,” I sigh. “I keep worrying that, you know, at any moment I’m gonna wake up and find that this- all this- is just a dream.”

“Well, I can assure you that it isn’t,” Katie reassures me. “Tom has finally come to his senses, and-“

“Yeah, it- it’s not just Tom I’m thinking of,” I sigh. “It’s- it’s me, too. I mean, every morning, I wake up, I look down, and do you know what I see?”

“…No?” Katie replies.

“I see the same thing you do when you look at your body,” I reply. “Or what any other woman sees. Which is what I dreamed of seeing pretty much every morning I woke up for the first twenty-two years of my life. And I- I keep worrying that, you know, I’m gonna lose it somehow, it’ll get taken away from me…”

“Okay- well, consciously you know THAT will never happen, right?” Katie asks.

“Well, yeah,” I reply. “But- ugh, this’ll sound shit…”

“Don’t- don’t tell me if you don’t want to…” Katie says cautiously.

“I- I’m always scared of losing, well, things,” I say, before taking a deep breath, “because of losing my mum.” I frown as tears start to trickle from my eyes, before letting out a tired groan as Katie reaches over and gives me a long, comforting hug.

“I can’t blame you there one bit,” Katie sighs. “God knows I’d be in pieces if- well, yeah…”

“Thanks,” I whisper as I try to compose myself. “I- ugh, I dunno. I’ve been thinking a lot about mum lately, and- you aren’t really a therapist, are you?”

“I’m a friend,” Katie replies with a shrug. “Which, you know, is better than a therapist, ‘cause you can’t get hammered with a therapist, can you?”

“It would be a bit inappropriate,” I chuckle. “But- thanks. For being a friend, heh. God knows what the last four years would’ve been like if you hadn’t come up to me on that first day of uni, heh!”

“I know my life would’ve been a lot more boring, hehe!” Katie giggles. “And you’re welcome. And thank YOU too!”

“You’re welcome,” I giggle as Katie and I sit back down. “So… seeing as you’re staying here tonight, is there any chance you can make dinner?”

“…Seriously?” Katie snorts. “You want ME to cook?”

"...Takeout it is, then," I reply, giggling as Katie pelts me with a cushion while I open a delivery app on my phone.

After our Deliveroo dinner, Katie and I spend the rest of the evening on our respective sofas, chatting with our friends and, of course, our respective boyfriends online. As neither Tom nor I have any work tomorrow, we stay up late chatting- not about anything in particular, but about each other, us together, our families, work... The time flies by like a rocket, and by the time we finally say goodnight to each other, it’s almost 1am- and yet, I don’t feel even remotely tired. My first full day with ‘Prince Charming’ has been better than I could have imagined, even if we did spend a good chunk of it at work. And yet, I’m still nervous about tomorrow, about dad, about Tom’s parents, and worst of all, the fact that I still haven’t told Simon, Lee or Phil that they’re all ‘runners-up’. The fact that all three of them are friends with people I have told (or who were told by someone else) today- namely, Michael, Ian and Ciara respectively- doesn’t really ease my nerves…

Despite my late night, I still wake up before my alarm goes off on Friday morning, and I waste no time in eating breakfast, showering and dressing for the day in a knee-length but very lightweight summer dress and a pair of cute flat sandals. Thankfully, I manage to do this without waking up my flatmate ('morning Katie' is fearsome even when she's not hung over), and before long I'm heading out into the warm morning.

As I take the tube to Victoria station, I find myself feeling more and more nervous, which surprises me- I’ve no doubt that dad will be either thrilled for me and Tom, or, more likely, completely nonchalant about it. From what Tom’s told me, his parents will likely be less thrilled than my father, but he’s confident that they’ll come to accept the two of us together sooner rather than later. And yet, I’m still anxious- not just about our parents, but about Tom himself. There’s a small part of me that still expects him to come to his senses, and I doubt that part of me will ever fully go away…

My anxiety lessens, though, when I arrive at the station and am immediately greeted with a long kiss from my boyfriend, reassuring me that this is no mere fairytale.

“Hey you,” I purr as Tom links his fingers with mine. “Good night last night?”

“Meh, was alright,” Tom replies, before making me grin as he gently tightens his grip on my hand. “Could’ve been better, though.”

“Yeah,” I whisper. “Still, we’ve got plenty more nights to enjoy together, right?” Immediately as I ask this question, I can’t help but grimace- as obsessed as I am with my own personal ‘fairytale’, I keep forgetting that to Tom, this is nothing more than the start of a new relationship, just as he (and I, for that matter) have done many times before. I don’t want to come on too strong too quickly and scare him away, and yet every time I even think of him, I can’t not see him as my ‘Prince Charming’. As Tom gazes into my eyes, though, I get the strong feeling that I might just be his ‘Cinderella’ just as much as he is my ‘Prince Charming’…

“Of course we do,” Tom replies with a grin. “And plenty more days, too, even if we are kinda going to have to share this one, heh.”

“What, you- you mean with our parents?” I ask.

“And your sister,” Ophelia says from behind me, surprising me with a gentle one-armed hug, her other arm dragging a travel case, on which is a large black garment bag.

“Hey O!” I say with a giggle. “What- what are you doing here?”

“I had heard that you were returning home today to tell your father the good news,” Ophelia replies.

“Then she messaged me last night,” Tom explains. “While we were chatting, actually. I mentioned that we were heading down to Brighton today and asked if she wanted to come along? I figured that seeing as you two are practically family, you could, you know, use some moral support when we meet our parents?” Needless to say, I have to bite my lip to hold back the tears at Tom’s gesture.

“…Do you still doubt that he is your ‘Prince Charming’?” Ophelia asks me quietly with a teasing smile.

“Like I ever did!” I reply, giggling happily as I embrace my two favourite people in a long, tight group hug.

A short while later, the three of us are sat around a table on our southbound train, Tom and I listening to Ophelia explain her decision to come along today. As my BFF speaks, I can’t help but grin widely at the sight of the girl who used to be so introverted she wouldn’t even dream of making new friends, let alone hold down a conversation in public, on a train surrounded by dozens of people. Many of whom stare in awe at the long, elaborately patterned batwing sleeved dress she's wearing. Some even go so far as to ask where Ophelia bought it, only to go away disappointed (but impressed) when Ophelia tells them she made it herself.

“…With Telemachus attending university today, and since my work project is ahead of schedule, I was able to arrange to have today for myself,” Ophelia explains. “Though for obvious reasons, I prefer not to be alone.” Probably the biggest change from that girl I met all those years ago, I think to myself with a smile.

“Well I know I’m glad you came along,” I say with a grin. “I’m ALWAYS glad when you can come along, hehe!”

“As am I,” Ophelia says with a smile. “And I am surprised that you have not enquired about the garment bag I have brought with me?”

“Oh trust me, I’m going to!” I giggle. “Sorry, Tom, the chat’s going to get a bit girly from this point on!”

“Yeah, well, you’re both girls, so that’s hardly surprising,” Tom says, smirking as I give him a gentle squeeze.

“So, then…” I say, turning to my BFF with a wide grin on my face. “Is what’s in the garment bag something that’ll fit me, or you?”

“Well, technically, it could fit either of us,” Ophelia replies. “It was, however, designed entirely with yourself in mind.”

“…And is it named after a constellation, by any chance?” I ask expectantly.

“It is,” Ophelia replies, making my excitement levels climb even further. “In this case, it is named ‘Aquarius’, after your zodiac sign.”

“So cool!” I squeak, almost bouncing up and down in my seat with excitement.

“I- I may need some context here,” Tom interjects, earning playful eye rolls from me and my BFF.

“As you are aware, I am a fashion designer,” Ophelia says. “Both professionally and as a hobby. I have designed many garments for my friends, even more for Jacinta, and even more for myself.”

“I don’t think Ophelia has actually bought any clothes from a shop in several years,” I tease.

“On the contrary, I purchase clothes from shops on a regular basis,” my BFF retorts.

“And how many of those clothes don’t get altered before you wear or sell them?” I ask.

“None,” Ophelia replies bluntly, before sharing a giggle with me. “The most special clothes, however, are the ones I design and construct from beginning to end. Earlier this year, I completed for myself a design I named ‘Andromeda’, a design on which I have worked for a very long time. During this past week, I have completed ‘Aquarius’, a design I have wanted to give my sis- my REAL sister for as long as I have known her.”

“That’s… Actually really, really cool,” Tom says with a smile. “Don’t suppose I could place an order for a smart suit while I’m here, by any chance?”

“I have never actually designed clothing for a man before,” Ophelia replies. “Not even for my husband.”

“Ah- don’t worry about it, then,” Tom chuckles.

“Oh- no, I would be happy to,” Ophelia says with a smile. “Perhaps it is time I expanded my portfolio, and I can think of only three men for whom I would be happy to create a design- yourself, my husband, and my father.”

“By which she means my father,” I explain. “And no, sadly, we’re not blood related.”

“But we are related in a much more important way,” Ophelia clarifies.

“Still so cool,” Tom chuckles.

“But we are both straight, just to clarify,” I say.

“Yeah, I kinda know that already,” Tom says in a teasing voice that makes me giggle.

“Though we did often sleep in the same bed during our first year of university,” Ophelia says, making me giggle as Tom nearly chokes on his coffee!

“Again, in a completely heterosexual way,” I say.

“Good job we’re not driving down, or I might have crashed!” Tom chuckles. “Why do I get the feeling there are a lot more stories featuring the two of you that I haven’t heard about yet?”

“They weren’t all that kinky,” I say, before being filled with a feeling of sadness. “Neither of us exactly had a fun childhood, for some reasons that you already know, some you don’t.”

“Yeah,” Tom whispers. “Well- I don’t need to know anything you don’t want to tell me. And it’s not like I didn’t, you know, know you when we were kids anyway, right?”

“Not quite,” Ophelia interjects. “You only knew ‘Jason’ when you were children.”

“Well- that’s definitely true,” Tom says. “Lucky I’m now going out with the real you, heh!”

“Lucky for both of us,” I sigh happily as I lean against my boyfriend’s sexy form.

We arrive in Brighton a short while later and waste no time in flagging down a taxi to take us to dad’s house. As we travel the short distance, I feel my anxiety levels rise- but a quick glance at Tom tells me his levels are much higher than mine.

“Hey,” I whisper as I grip my boyfriend’s hand for support. “It’ll be okay, okay? You know my dad likes you.”

“Yeah, I know,” Tom sighs. “Still, this- I want, you know, this to go perfectly. For you, more than anything else.”

“And it will,” I say reassuringly.

“Taking him home to meet your dad for the first time, then?” The taxi driver interjects. “Good luck with that, mate!”

“Thanks,” Tom chuckles. “Hopefully I won’t need luck!”

“You might do if your girlfriend is who I think she is,” the taxi driver says. “Weren’t you the girl whose dad won a million quid on telly?”

“Ah- yeah, that’s me!” I chuckle. “The money hasn’t really changed him THAT much, though.”

“Heh, it would me!” The taxi driver says with a snort of laughter. “I wouldn’t be driving a taxi, for starters!”

“Yeah,” I say with an awkward chuckle.

“You know I actually used to know Mike Hanley?” The taxi driver asks. “My daughter Jessica used to hang out with his son a lot when they were both in primary school. Them and two other girls. I wonder whatever happened to that boy?” Needless to say, this causes my anxiety levels to skyrocket. Of all the taxis…

“…I’m kinda, you know, sitting right here,” I say, which obviously causes an awkward silence to fill the taxi.

“…Huh,” the driver says.

“Should we get out?” I ask.

“Why?” The driver shrugs. “What business is it of mine how you live your life? And if I did have a problem with LG- umm, whatever people, I’m living in the wrong city, aren’t I?”

“Thanks,” I chuckle. “And it’s ‘B’ and ‘T’ at the end, sometimes there’s a ‘Q’ as well, sometimes a plus sign, sometimes a lot of other letters and numbers as well.”

“That’s a bit too much for my old brain to learn,” The driver chuckles. “Why can’t we just let people live their lives the way they want? It doesn’t hurt anyone when people are gay, does it?”

“Amen,” I say with a smile. “How- how is Jessica, anyway? Been ages since I last saw her…”

“She’s actually in town today,” The driver replies. “She and a few of her friends are meeting up before going to London for the weekend, thinks there’s a thing on that they want to go to. I’ll let her know you’re in town too, maybe you could meet up with her too?”

“That- may not be a good idea,” I say. “I mean, it HAS been ages, and- and Tom was kinda going out with one of her friends too, before, I mean, so it might be a little awkward.”

“Well, anyway, I’ll let her know,” the driver says, making me groan internally as we pull up outside dad’s house.

After paying the driver and helping Ophelia and her bags out, we head up the small path toward the front door, where Ophelia lets us in as I try to calm down my increasingly anxious boyfriend.

“It. Will. Be. Okay,” I reassure Tom. “Dad will barely even blink. Trust me on this. And we’ll only have to tell him once, right?”

“R- right,” Tom says, forcing a smile on his face as we head into the living room, where dad is sat in his usual chair.

“H- hi dad,” I say, standing before the middle-aged man just as I’ve done several times in the past- most memorably, on both occasions when I came out, first as gay, then as transgender. On both of those occasions, he looked just as he does now- pleased to see me, but at the same time concerned, almost like he’s expecting my announcement.

“Hi Jacinta, Ophelia, Tom,” dad says, a smirk creeping across his face as he sees me subtly linking my fingers with my boyfriend’s. “Do you have something to tell me?”

“Yes,” I reply, before taking a deep breath. “Tom and I, we- we’re going out. We’re a couple.” I brace myself for the inevitable shrug and reply of ‘okay’, but much to my surprise, my father rises from his chair with a wide grin on his face and gives Tom a handshake followed by giving me a long, tight hug.

“It’s about bloody time!” Dad chuckles. “Seriously, I am happy for you. Both of you.”

“Thanks, Mr. Hanley,” Tom says, grimacing as dad rolls his eyes.

“Mike,” dad says firmly. “You call me Mike. And that’s not up for debate.”

“Okay… Mike,” Tom chuckles as he visibly de-stresses.

“Can you stay for lunch?” Mike asks. “I’ve still got a lot of food to eat up before I move out of here, and yes, I can afford more food, but I really hate to waste it, especially when there are people who have to go without.”

“…Sure, we can stay,” I reply.

“We’re going to see my parents in a bit,” Tom explains. “And we’re planning on heading back to London tonight, hence no overnight bags.”

“And hence why Ophelia only bought one travel case,” dad says, making my BFF giggle and blush at his gentle teasing. “It’s okay. I’ll give you guys a lift back, I’m heading up to London tonight anyway. That’s also not up for debate.”

“…Okay, thanks!” I chuckle.

“Good. Now, Tom, want to give me a hand getting lunch ready?” Dad asks, earning a nervous look from my boyfriend. “And yes, that is code for ‘I’m going to grill you in private’, but don’t worry, I’ll be gentle.”

“Umm, okay then,” Tom says, reluctantly letting go of my hand as he follows dad into the kitchen, leaving me and my BFF by ourselves.

“Now that we are alone,” Ophelia says with a wide grin, “shall we head upstairs so that you may see Aquarius?”

“…Do you really need to ask?” I reply, sharing a giggle with my BFF as I grab the garment bag and head up to my old bedroom.

Once we’re in the room, I’m sat down on my bed and told to cover my eyes while Ophelia opens the bag and prepares the dress. After a few long, agonizing minutes, I’m allowed to open my eyes, and I let out a long, awestruck gasp at the creation I see before me.

Like Ophelia’s Andromeda dress, Aquarius is floor length and form-fitting, but that’s where the similarities end. Aquarius has short sleeves and a Bardot neckline that will inevitably show off a lot of my cleavage, especially once I’m laced into the corset/bodysuit/harness that Ophelia has built into the bodice. The skirt is long and flowing, but looks tight enough to hug my curves even despite the long split down one side, and the whole creation is made of a shimmery cyan-coloured fabric, with ‘waves’ of indigo-coloured satin sewn throughout. Even hanging on my wardrobe, it seems to shimmer in the light, giving the illusion that the indigo 'waves' are constantly flowing around the dress.

“Oh my god!” I squeak as I examine the dress, getting tingles of excitement from the mere feel of the fabric on my fingers. “This- this is- wow! Thank you, thank you so much!” My BFF giggles and lets out a small squeak of surprise as I wrap her in a long, tight hug.

“It’s not like I’ve never made you a dress before!” Ophelia giggles as she wriggles free of my arms.

“Never one like this, though!” I reply. “This- this really is just incredible, especially after everything you’ve done for me over the years…”

“Believe me when I say that what I have done for you, you have done for me a thousand times over,” Ophelia says, bringing tears to my eyes as she gently takes my hand in hers. “I do truly love you, Jacinta. Even though we are destined for other men, my love for you will never diminish.”

“I- I love you too,” I say, sharing another hug with my BFF. “Ugh, it really would have been a much shorter story if we’d both been lesbians, wouldn’t it?”

“Much shorter,” Ophelia giggles. “But I do not need to feel attracted to you in order to love you. My life simply would not be complete without you in it. But as I told my mot- as I told Theresa when last we were in Brighton, my life is complete. I have a life. I have a career, I have qualifications, friends and a husband I truly adore. None of which would have come close to happening if not for you.”

“Yeah, well, I can probably top that,” I chuckle. “I have a career I love, qualifications, more friends than I could ever have hoped for, I’ve finally found Prince Charming and, oh yes, I am a fully anatomical woman. None of that would’ve happened if it wasn’t for you.”

“It probably would have done eventually,” Ophelia retorts.

“I doubt it,” I say, before smiling and exchanging a gentle kiss on the lips with my BFF, for the first and, in all likelihood, the last time. “But we don’t need to worry about what might have been, right?”

“Especially not when what is, is so positive,” Ophelia replies. “Now, are you going to try on Aquarius or am I going to have to force you into it?”

“…Looking at that corset you’ve built into it, I’d say both,” I reply, sharing a giggle with my BFF before stripping down to just my thong.

Needless to say, it takes almost twenty minutes for me to be squeezed into the dress, for the corset to be tightened as far as it will go (which earns Ophelia a few words that were less kind than what I was saying before) and for the many buttons, zips and other fasteners to be done up, sealing me in the incredible creation.

“So…?” Ophelia teases. “How does it feel?”

“Beyond amazing,” I reply. “Even if I really can’t breathe.”

“Your undeniable beauty should make up for the lack of oxygen,” Ophelia retorts.

“Almost,” I say, fidgeting as I try to get comfortable in the undeniably beautiful dress. “Seriously, O, why do you wear corsets so tight, anyway? Surely you can’t find this comfortable?”

“I take comfort in looking unique,” Ophelia replies. “A corseted waist such as mine draws attention. It is worth the occasional moment of physical discomfort. And besides, after many years of wearing them, I have become accustomed to the feeling. I occasionally feel uncomfortable when NOT wearing a corset.”

“I doubt I’ll ever reach that point,” I chuckle.

“Girls! Lunch is ready!” Dad yells from downstairs, prompting Ophelia to look at me expectantly.

“…Well, yes, obviously I’m going to show Aquarius to the boys!” I say, sharing a giggle with my BFF as we head downstairs.

Even though I’m only wearing my usual make-up and no shoes, I still make a show of sweeping into the living room in my dress, grinning at the astonished gasps I get from the two men and smiling bashfully as they approach me.

“Beautiful,” dad whispers, leaning in to give me a gentle kiss on my cheek. “Just as I always knew you were.”

“Seriously,” Tom says. “You are the most beautiful woman I know, and no, I’m not just saying that.”

“You old romantic,” I tease, before sighing happily as my boyfriend gives me a long, deep kiss. “I probably should change before we go and see your parents, though. This isn’t really an ‘everyday’ dress, heh!”

“And before you eat, too,” dad says. “I’d hate to try washing that thing.”

“Yeah, eating and this dress don’t really go together anyway,” I say, playfully glaring at my BFF only for her to slyly stick her tongue out at me in response.

“I shall assist you, Jacinta,” Ophelia says, following me up to my bedroom to help release me from the dress. “This is still only a work in progress, anyway. There are many more features and embellishments I wish to add to the dress before I will consider it to be finished.”

“If this is your idea of a ‘work in progress’, you are going to make millions from your designs before too long,” I say, taking several deep breaths as my waist is decompressed.

“I do not need millions,” Ophelia says. “As you may recall, I grew up with nothing. And as I have already told you, within the last few minutes, even, I have more than I could have ever dreamed of.”

“…Millions would be nice though, right?” I ask.

“Well- yes, obviously,” Ophelia concedes. “Though it would not change a thing for me. I would still be married to Telemachus. I would still do the job I love. And I would still have the friends and family I love. None of which I would trade for billions, let alone millions.”

“…Nor would I,” I confess with a dreamy smile as I think about how complete my life now is.

After changing back into my summer dress, the four of us enjoy a quick but tasty lunch, before dad drives us into the city centre. While he and Ophelia explore some of the local shops, Tom and I make our way to a small, modern bar in the city centre.

While we were eating, I received a Facebook notification on my phone that nearly made me choke- ‘Jessica Campbell has sent you a friend request’. I quickly accepted the request, and after a few polite messages, Jessica mentioned that she, Caitlin and Noor were all in the city today, and invited me to meet up with them. Without thinking, I accepted- which earned me a nervous frown from my new boyfriend, as I'd forgotten that also meant that he'd effectively been invited to show off his new girlfriend to his ex- and Caitlin and I didn't exactly get along the last time we met...

Nonetheless, I wear a happy smile on my face when Tom and I enter the bar, which widens when Jessica greets us both with a hug- or at least, I assume it's Jessica. The last time I saw her, she was a slightly chubby, awkward teenager with a face full of freckles. The young woman standing in front of me now, though, is tall (only slightly shorter than I am), slender, has long, gorgeous flame-coloured hair that makes me seethe with envy and is impeccably made-up.

Then again, I'm hardly one to complain that someone has changed in the last ten years...

"Oh my god, hi!" Jessica squeaks as she releases me and Tom from our hugs. "You I know already, of course!"

"Yeah, it- it's been a while," Tom chuckles nervously (thankfully, he'd informed me earlier that he knew Jessica from when he was going out with Caitlin- who, significantly, hasn't come to greet the two of us).

"But you..." Jessica says, turning back to face me. "Wow- just, you know, wow! I really, really can't believe you're the same bo- the same PERSON I used to hang out with at primary school, hehe!"

"Well- I'm kinda not, hehe!" I giggle nervously. "Are- are the other two here?"

"Just over here, follow me!" Jessica giggles as she leads us deeper into the bar. "Oh my god, this is gonna be, like, the first time the four of us have been together in over a decade!"

"Jacinta's mentioned that you used to be close when you were at school," Tom says.

"We were, like, REALLY close," Jessica says. "Especially when we were at primary school, the four of us would hang out, like, ALL the time, but then we got to secondary school and... Eesh. Basically, umm..."

"The thought was that girls had to be girls and boys had to be boys, basically," I say.

"...Yeah, basically that," Jessica sighs. "And, you know, not many secondary school girls still played dress-up at the weekend, that sort of thing."

"And even fewer secondary school boys wanted to dress up in secondary school girls' clothes," I say.

"Fortunately," Jessica says with a grin, "we know better now, hehe!" Well, some of you do, I think to myself as I smile and wave at the two other girls at the table.

Even though they're Muslim, Noor's family had always been open-minded about letting me hang out with their daughter when we were younger (possibly because they felt sorry for me after my mother died), and Noor herself didn't see it as any fuss whatsoever when she let me- seven-year-old me, that is- wear her dressing up clothes. The stoic expression on her face now, though, when combined with the hijab on her head (something she never wore at school) tells me that things might have changed. However, I remind myself that I must keep an open mind- Noor did agree to this meet-up, after all, and just because a person's a practising Muslim, it doesn't mean that they necessarily must be a raging transphobe. Noor and I might even become good friends again... Or at least, compared to the girl sitting next to her.

Needless to say, Caitlin doesn't have a smile on her face when she sees me and Tom holding hands. 'Scowl' would be a better word for it. 'Silent fury' would be another one. However, I'm reminded of the importance of keeping an open mind when Caitlin stands up, smiles and offers me a gentle, friendly hug- a gesture I happily accept.

"Hey, Jacinta," Caitlin says in an almost conciliatory tone of voice. "And yes, I do mean 'Jacinta' and not 'Jason'. Never Jason."

"Thanks," I say, before fidgeting awkwardly. "You- umm, you know Tom, right?"

"We have met before," Caitlin says, before sighing and accepting a tentative, friendly hug with her ex. "And you remember Noor, right?"

"Of course," Tom says, exchanging a polite handshake with the brown-skinned girl, who then surprises me by leaning in for a hug.

"Hey, Jacinta," Noor says with a grin. "It's been a while, eh?"

"Since the four of us were last together?" I ask. "Just a bit, yeah! Safe to say some of us have changed more than others in that time, heh."

"For the better, though," Noor says. "ALL of us."

"Totally," Jessica says. "So, why are you back in Brighton today, Jacinta?"

"Oh, umm, I- I'm kinda bringing Tom home to meet dad for the first time, heh," I reply. "We literally only just got together." I bite my lip as I gaze over at Caitlin, expecting an angry glare from her, but much to my surprise, she just smiles instead.

"Cool," Jessica giggles. "We're all just meeting up before heading up to London tomorrow."

"Why are you going to London tomorrow?" I ask.

"Umm, you of all people should know?" Jessica asks. "I mean, like, I've seen your friends list, your photos... AngelCon?"

"Oh, you- you like the Angels?" I ask.

"Umm, yeah?" Jessica chuckles. "We ALL do, and, like, we are SUPER jealous that you've been to parties at Charlotte Hutchinson's house!"

"Really?" I ask as I tentatively glance over at Caitlin, who has suddenly started to blush. "I thought you, you know, like, didn't-"

"I- I love the Angels," Caitlin says, before chuckling tiredly. "I always have, when we first- heh. When we met 'that time', I just said I didn't because, you know, you name-dropped Charlotte Hutchinson and I just- ugh. Jealousy, you know..."

"Yeah, I've known THAT feeling a lot," I say. "Going back to when I was, like, seven."

"I can't even imagine what that's like," Jessica sighs. "But, you know, we've all got, like, a happy ending, right?"

"...Can't argue with that," I say with a smile as I gaze lovingly at my 'Prince Charming'.

We chat for another forty minutes, catching each other up with everything that's happened over the last fifteen years (and god knows I had a lot to catch everyone up on), before going our separate ways- though not without a promise to meet up after AngelCon tomorrow! As much as I enjoyed meeting the old gang again, though, it just served to hammer home the fact that they were always 'Jason's’ friends. Even if I'd remained in touch with them throughout my whole life, none of them would be anywhere near as close to me as Ophelia is, something I'm reminded of when we rendezvous with her and dad after their shopping trip. Ophelia is and always will be 'Jacinta's’ first and best friend. Though it is nice to have three more than I did yesterday- after all, you can never have too many, right?

A short while later, dad drops us off outside Tom's parents' house, and despite the grip we have on each other's hands, both Tom and I feel nervous as we head up the garden path...

...Though, as it turns out, neither of us had anything to worry about. Tom's parents were just as pleased for us as my dad was, to the point where I wondered whether or not they knew I was transgender at all- except, as Tom was quick to remind me, even if they did know, it didn't mean they necessarily cared. Of course, that prompted me to remind him that he was the one who was most nervous about their reaction, only for THAT to prompt an angry reaction from my boyfriend's mother as she drove us back home.

"Thomas Michael Randall," the middle-aged woman said firmly, "you know very well we raised you to be open-minded about people, just as we are. It doesn't matter to us one bit whether your girlfriend is transgender or not. It wouldn't even have mattered to us if you'd dated a man."

"Yeah, it's all very well and good saying that in theory," Tom retorted. "But, you know, I couldn't be sure how you'd react to, you know, the reality of the- umm, situation..."

"'Situation'?" I asked my boyfriend, giggling as he cringed. "It's okay. I know you've not exactly got a way with words, hehe!"

"Especially around women," Mrs. Randall teased her son. "I could tell you a few stories about when he tried to pick up girls when he was at school!"

"I'd really prefer it if you didn't," Tom mumbled. "Especially not as I've found the only girl I want."

"D'aww," I cooed, sighing happily as I leaned in close to Tom, which earned a happy sigh from him too.

"And that's why you can believe me when I say I'm open-minded about the two of you," Mrs. Randall said. "Because you're both very obviously happy together. And that's all that matters, not gender, gender identity, sexuality or whatever. Just find yourself someone who makes you happy."

"And we have," I said with a smile as I contemplated our bright future together.

After Tom’s mother drops the two of us back at dad’s house, we waste no time in gathering our things together (which Ophelia thankfully got a head start on while we were out) and following dad to his car. Both my boyfriend and I let out long, happy sighs as we buckle ourselves in, happy that the long day is finally behind us- and we have many, many more to look forward to.

“That went a LOT better than I thought it would,” Tom chuckles.

“What, with the girls or your parents?” I ask, giggling as my boyfriend smirks. “…Well?”

“Both,” Tom finally replies. “Ahh, I dunno. Things- things have been going really fast, I’m just looking forward to getting to bed tonight, heh!”

“Ye-“ I begin, before being interrupted by a low voice from the front seat.

“Change the topic unless you want to walk back to London, Tom,” dad says in a near-growl, before chuckling. “I’m just kidding. I don’t doubt the two of you are knackered, especially as you’ve got a busy weekend ahead of you too.”

“Lucky that we both love our job,” I say. “Though god knows I could definitely use some rest after today, heh. I’ll text Charlotte to let her know we’ll skip her party tonight, Tom will have to make his ‘grand debut’ next Saturday, heh.”

“Umm… What do you call yesterday afternoon if not a ‘grand debut’?” Tom asks me.

“Dipping your toe in the pool,” I reply with a grin. “Seriously. You have met a lot of my friends, yes, but there are, like, loads more I need to show you off to. I’ve got more friends than I could ever have dreamed of, actually…”

“You can never have too many,” Tom says with a grin as I grimace.

“Yeah, but I don’t think Jamie was including exes when she said that,” I sigh. “Simon, Lee and Phil have probably already found out about us, I mean, it’s hardly like we’re sneaking around, right? But they do deserve to hear it from the horse’s mouth.”

“Okay, well, first, you’re not a horse,” Tom says bluntly. “And second… There’s an easier way to let them know.” I frown as Tom reaches into his pocket for his phone, before opening it up and composing a text message. A short while later, though, my phone bleeps to inform me that Tom wasn’t composing a text message but was in fact doing something else.

‘Notification from Facebook’, my phone reads. ‘Please confirm that you are in a relationship with Tom Randall.’ Despite my best efforts, I still feel tears well up in my eyes as any lingering doubt I had about my new relationship melts away. It’s such a tiny gesture, trivial even, but still means more to me than even I imagined. I waste no time in confirming the change, and grin widely as the Facebook post quickly gets dozens of likes from my many hundreds of friends.

I’m dropped off at my flat a short while later, unsurprisingly finding it deserted yet again. I let out a long, contented sigh as I flop onto my sofa- it’s been a long couple of days, but the chaos has passed, and the ‘new normal’ is firmly in place. Tomorrow, I’ll wake up and Tom will still be my ‘Prince Charming’. I’ll go to AngelCon, where I’ll no doubt be bombarded by questions from my friends, but other than that, I’ll have lots of fun with my friends and get paid to do so. I have a happy, contented smile on my face as I get comfortable on the sofa, the hectic speed of the day's activities finally catching up with me as my eyelids slowly close…

When I wake up, I’m still sat on the sofa in the clothes I was wearing all day, only now I’m no longer alone, as the sound coming from the kitchen testifies.

“…Katie?” I ask as I nervously stand up. “Aren’t you staying at Charlie’s, then?”

“Not tonight,” the voice replies, a voice I immediately know doesn’t belong to my flatmate.

“M- mum?” I ask, instantly shivering with nerves as I once again come face to face with my mother. “…You were right.”

“No,” mum whispers, a kind smile spreading across her face. “YOU were right.”

“This is all happening in my head, yep,” I chuckle, before biting my lip and frowning. “I- I’m sorry I haven’t dreamed about you more in the last few days, I mean, ever since I chose Tom.”

“You don’t need to say sorry for that,” mum reassures me. “I’ll always be here when you need me. You just don’t need me as much as you did. I AM very proud of you, Jacinta, and I always will be. Never forget that.” I nod and weep happily as mum embraces me in a warm, tight hug, that only ends when I open my eyes to find myself alone in my flat, still sat in the same position on the sofa. I take several deep breaths to compose myself, before letting out another sigh.

Consciously, I know of course that I wasn’t really speaking to my mother. Her appearance in my dream is just a figment of my imagination, and the things she said were things I was simply saying to myself. Still, though, I can’t help but cling to the memory of the dream, of how my mother looked, sounded and even smelled… And, of course, I’ll always truly believe that she would’ve unconditionally accepted me for who I am. There is, of course, one person who’s always gone out of his way to reinforce this belief, and he’s the person I most need to speak to right now.

“Hello?” Dad asks as he answers his mobile.

“Hi dad,” I say, trying my hardest not to sound TOO tired. “Just wanted to let you know I’ve got back home safely.”

“Well that’s a relief, seeing how I dropped you at your door,” dad replies. “It’s also not the only reason you called, is it?”

“…No,” I sigh, wiping away a solitary tear from my eye. “I- ugh. There was one person I forgot about today, one very important person I didn’t tell about me and Tom.” The pause from the other end of the line tells me that, as always, dad knows exactly what I’m thinking.

“…I’m sure your mother would be just as thrilled about you and Tom as I am,” dad says. “In fact I can say that with 100% confidence.”

“I’d like to think so too,” I whisper, before taking a deep breath. “Are- are you stay- umm, I mean, are- are you going back to Brighton tonight?”

“…No,” dad replies with a whisper. “I’m, umm, staying over with Beverly tonight.”

“Okay,” I say, forcing a smile onto my face- if dad can be happy for my new relationship, then I surely should be happy for him. “When- when you move out of the old house, have you decided yet what you’ll, umm, what- I mean, umm, mum’s ashes, have you decided-“

“Not yet,” dad replies. “Your mother, she- ehh. She never wanted to, you know, be kept around in the way she has. She always said she wanted her ashes to be scattered. Scattered, not buried- she never wanted to become, like, an ornament in the way she has. But I- I never really had the heart to, you know…”

“I doubt she’d mind too much,” I say.

“No, probably not,” dad says. “But I- I dunno. Before I leave Brighton, I- I think we should scatter her ashes. Fulfil her final wish. Let her know that we’re going to be alright- both of us are.”

“Yeah,” I whisper. “Do you have any ideas where?”

“Just one,” dad replies, and even though I can't see his face, I can already tell how emotional he's become.

Two days later, dad and I are stood on the end of Brighton pier, both of us taking turns to hold mum's urn and carefully let her ashes dance away in the gentle summer breeze. My eyes are filled with tears as I see the ashes disappear, but at the same time, I’m filled with a sense of happiness. I know my mother will always be looking out for me, just as my father will, and a glance back down the pier to where my BFF and my Prince Charming are stood is enough to remind me that despite the hardships, despite the loss, the stress and the pain I’ve had to endure, my life is great. In fact, it’s never been better. However, that doesn’t mean that it’ll never be better, and whatever the future holds for me, I’m more than ready to face it, backed up by the people who love me and who I love the most.

__________

TWO YEARS LATER

__________

“Stop looking so nervous!” I chastise my father as I pin the delicate veil to my hair. “You’d almost think it was your wedding day…”

“Sorry, sorry,” dad mumbles, fidgeting in his smart suit. “I just- I just can’t believe this day’s actually finally come, heh.”

“Yeah… You’re not the only one,” I chuckle as I think about the past 24 months.

Once things had settled into their ‘new normal’, my relationship with Tom went from strength to strength. Our love for each other seemed to grow with every passing day, and we soon became inseparable, to the point where we were more regularly referred to as ‘Tomcinta’ than by our individual names. Even on our (many) girls’ nights, I’d find myself getting fidgety toward the end, desperate to return home to where Tom was waiting for me.

…And then 2020 happened. As Tom and I weren’t yet living together (even though we spent most nights at each other’s flats), Spring brought with it an enforced sixteen weeks away from each other’s embrace, which I regularly feared would spell the end of my relationship with my ‘Prince Charming’. However, it turned out the opposite was true. Even though we could only see each other over a phone or a laptop screen (or outdoors if we pretended to exercise), our love still seemed to go from strength to strength, and when we finally could see each other once again, Tom wasted no time in getting down on one knee and asking me to be his wife. And as you can tell from the fact that I’m stood here wearing a very fancy, voluminous white dress, I didn’t hesitate in saying ‘yes’.

“Your veil is perfect, you do not need to adjust it anymore,” my maid of honour says, gently brushing my hands away from my veil. “As is the rest of your dress, before you think to fiddle with that too.”

“Yes, I know,” I sigh. “…Thanks for all of this, Ophelia.”

“You are more than welcome,” my BFF says, before giving me a gentle hug.

Did you really think I’d choose someone other than Ophelia to be my maid of honour? Even as our relationships with our men went from strength to strength, so did our friendship with each other. If anything, being separated from her for months last year was just as hard as being separated from Tom, even though we spoke just as often online. Naturally, Ophelia started work on my wedding dress the second Tom and I were engaged, and even though Sarah and Lauren pitched in ideas, Ophelia insisted on doing all the work herself. After all, in her own words, this was no ordinary wedding dress- it was mine. Even though we couldn't have as big a hen night as we wanted due to the restrictions, Ophelia still put her all into making it as fun as possible- after all, it was mine. And Ophelia even got over her reluctance to design men's clothing to make the perfect tuxedo for dad to wear today- after all, he is my father. Or rather, our father, in all the ways that are important. It didn't surprise anyone that when Tom and I moved in together last autumn, we chose a flat less than 3 minutes' walk from where Ophelia and Telemachus live. After all, we are family, and we always will be.

And so, here I stand in this gorgeous creation today, Saturday the 17th of July 2021, exactly two years to the day since our relationship began, ready to become Tom’s wife and make our 'extended family' complete.

“Okay,” I say, taking several deep, nervous breaths to calm myself down. “I think I’m ready.”

“Well- okay, then,” dad says, extending his arm for me to take as Ophelia takes her place in front of us. “I am so, so proud of you, Jacinta. I know you and Tom will be great together. And I know exactly how your story will end.”

“…Okay,” I say. “And… How, exactly?”

“With one simple phrase,” dad replies. “’And they lived happily ever after’.”

And you know what? We did.

up
36 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another happy ending

Jacinta is with her Prince Charming and all is right with the world- well, Jacinta's world, anyway. :-) This was an odd story to write, and might not be as popular as some of my others but it's been fun to write. It was always intended to effectively be a romcom, lighter in tone than my other stories but (hopefully) just as good. Maybe. Well, the whole thing can be enjoyed as a whole now, anyway. :-) Many thanks as always to the awesome Holly Snow for her help in editing this chapter. :-D

Click here as always for upcoming chapters. :-) The finales of Ashley and Mother and Daughter will be up soon, and yes, they'll only be one-shot chapters rather than this two-part finale, I promise you that. And yes, I've already started work on the next brand-new story from the Jamieverse. As one door closes, another opens, and there are a lot more 'doors' in the Jamieverse I want to open and invite you all through. Hopefully Jacinta and I have put a few smiles on face over the years. :-)

Debs xxxx

Jancinta deserved the happy ending

Jamie Lee's picture

Sad to see this story end, but good Jancinta finally accepted what others clearly saw. She and Tom denied each other but others could see the truth.

Jancinta played the 'what if' game too much, always worried she'd end up alone. Always worried she'd be rejected because of being TG.

It's always sad when good stories reach their end, but they were a pleasure to read as long as they lasted.

Others have feelings too.