Velvet Part 8

Printer-friendly version

I wake up to the smell of fresh brew coffee under my nose As I hear my husband’s strong voice “Wakey, wakey, eggs, and bacon.”

A smile comes to my lips as I see him sitting on the bed with my favorite coffee cup in his hand. I sense another person in our bedroom as well. I turn my head towards the scent I am picking up and see Oilibhear standing over near the window that overlooks his property. He turns around when he feels me looking towards him.

“What happened? The last thing I remember is passing out in the hummer.” I look back towards my husband as I reach out to take the coffee cup from his hands.

“You passed out from the pain sweetie. We had just pulled into the driveway when your body went limp. Your body finally reached its point where your healing ability couldn’t keep up with the acid.” He reaches towards me and brushes aside a lock of my hair.

“It’s a good thing that you got here when you did, Tom.” Oilibhear looks towards me and Tom. “If you had been any later, that acid would have eaten its way down to her spinal cord.” He walks over towards the bed. He stops a foot away from it and looks down into my eyes.

I look up into his tired, weathered face and notice that his eyes have that same hunted ancient look that my husband’s eyes have when he isn’t hiding his thoughts from me. But Oilibhear’s seem to be even more ancient and hunted than my husbands. Like there is so much he has seen and done.

“Thank you Oilibhear for saving me.,”

“It was nothing Vicky, but next time watch your back.”

“Speaking of watching my back. Where’s Susan at?” I look at both Oilibhear and Tom.

“She’s asleep in the guest room. Oilibhear used his knowledge of herbs and plants to make some sort of healing potion that healed yours and her wound, but there still some wounds he can’t heal and she’s going to need help with those.”

“I know.” I curl my feet close to my body and wrap my arms around them.

Oilibhear looks down towards me “So how did you know I would be able to heal you?” as he looks impressive.

“I remember you using some herbs on me when I got sick when I was little. My father had tried everything he could to heal me, but nothing worked. Then you came over and made something down in the kitchen and made me take it.”

His eye’s narrow towards me and stares directly into mine. I feel his presence inside my mind as he shifts through my thoughts and then stops when the wolf inside of me senses his intrusion. A slight growl escapes my lips as the heckles on my wolf stand up to his intrusion. He comes closer to her as she backs up from him. I feel her angrier at his intrusion into her domain. The wolf doesn’t trust him. She stands there growling and warning him to leave, but he doesn’t leave my mind. Instead for some unknown reason, the wolf goes quiet. He approaches her and looks down at her.

“I knew one day you would discover my secret. A secret I have tried to hide from those like your husband for centuries. As he turns away from my wolf. You need to promise me Vicky that you will not tell others about me. You need to keep this secret until the time comes that the secret needs to be revealed.”

“And how will I know when that is?” as my wolf changes into my human form.

“I’ll let you know.” He turns back around to face me.

“But how about if I need you to help me with a problem or protection of a client?” I stand there facing him.

He looks back at me with tired eyes. His eyes hold the tiredness of centuries of living and loneliness. You can tell from looking into them that he is disappointed with the way civilization has developed.

“Then you can call on me to help.”

“I have one more question for you. Why are you inside my head talking about this instead of verbally?”

“Because what I have to say is strictly for you to hear. Not your husband. I don’t want him knowing I’m older than him.”

“If you don’t mind me asking Oilibhear. How much older are you to him?” as I stare at him.

“I was born several centuries before Stone Hedge was built. I was one of the workers who helped transport and raised the giant stones that stand there now.”

“Wow! That is old.” I look at him in a different light.

“Now, shall we return to your husband and your room.” as he disappears from my vision.

I wake up from a lite sleep and see my husband slump on the bed with his head resting on my lap. I give him a little shake to wake him up.

“Wakey, wakey, sleepy head.” I watch as he sits up.

“What happens?” He looks into my eyes and sees that they have bled to their wolf state.

“You fell asleep on me. You we’re telling me how much you loved me when the next thing I know your head lands in my lap.” a loving smile appears on my face for my husband and my eyes go back to their normal state.

My husband gives me a skeptical look like he doesn’t believe me. I look past him towards Oilibhear.

“She is telling the truth, Tom. One moment you were telling her how lovely her eyes were and how much you love her. When all of sudden you pass out and fell face-first onto her lap. I thought you were trying to entertain me with a little display of your love when we discover that you simply passed out.” as Oilibhear looks down at my husband.

Tom looks up at him and then towards me. “Well, this is the first time in 2,000yrs that this has ever happen to me. Still, if both of you said it happen, then I guess it did.” as he stands up. down at me “I’m going to go and check on Susan.” He walks out of the room and down the hall towards my old bedroom.

I look towards Oilibhear and in a quiet voice “that was close. I don’t believe Tom brought that story either.”

“He may not, but he knows that there is no way he can prove we weren’t lying either.”

I sit there and listen to my husband walking around upstairs. The benefit of being a werewolf is the enhanced hearing you have in human form. If I had been normal, I would never be able to hear my husband move around as he does. It doesn’t mean that I always hear him because of his training, but most of the time he moves around like a bull in a china shop.

“So what are your plans for the rest of the day Vicky?” as Oilibhear looks at me for an answer to his question.

“I have an appointment with Gerd and Mistress Selena tonight. So, I thought I would sleep in for a while today since I had to go and get Susan from that bar and recover from the healing you did to me. Why?”

“Cause Tom told me you were working a case involving the disappearance of a young boy.”

“Yes, I am. Why do you ask?” I look at him with a questionable look on my face.

“Where exactly did the disappearance take place?” Oilibhear sits down on the edge of my bed.

“Over off of Virginia Beach Blvd. In the Young Park housing projects. Why?” I look at him even more suspiciously.

“Because about 60 years ago just before you were born several children ended up missing from there as well. No one is sure what happened to them or who took them, but at least seven kids that I know of were reported missing from that area of Norfolk.”

“So, you’re saying this isn’t the first time this has happened then. But why? Most people that kidnap kids either do it to sexually abuse them and kill them afterward or let them live with the shame of it. Sometimes, it’s one of the parents doing it to get even with the other parent who got custody of the child instead of them. Because they don’t want to be separated from their child or to hurt the parent who got custody of the child.”

“That’s not always the case around here Vicky. As you know this is the bible belt and if the leaders of the Hunter organization or any other powerful supernatural creatures are looking for someone or something. The first place they will look is those places where the poor or those in the low-income area live. Since many young African American women are getting pregnant at such an early age there’s always a huge selection of children around and taking one of them won’t always raise a concern that much. Most people in high positions in our local government and in the government itself don’t care about the poor or low-income families. Since most African Americans are religious to a certain extent, some of the preachers that belong to the Hunter organization that preaches to them are keeping an eye out for those that might posse certain abilities that would help them in locating people like yourself, Vicky.”

“So you're saying that some of the churches over near there might be responsible for the disappearance of that child?”

“No, I’m not saying that. But what I am saying is you should include them in your search as well. The Hunter organization is always recruiting new members and those that posse gifts. They may be members of the church or people that live in those communities. If it’s not them or the church doing it then, there is a new player in town. He could be looking for pawns to train and use against whoever he is after.”

I lean back against the head broad of my bed and think about what Oilibhear just told me. I wouldn’t normally think that people in the church would go to this extreme to recruit people. Still, it does makes sense in a perverted way if you think about it.

A few minutes later my husband comes walking back into the room. He looks down at me and sees me with my knee’s still pulled to my chest, with me lost in thought about what I was just told.

“Susan is still asleep. I think she is going to need help from her attack.” as he looks at me.

“If I remember correctly, Elizabeth is a licensed psychologist and has a practice in Virginia Beach over off Independence Blvd. Susan could stay with Annette and take a cab over to her office from where Annette lives, and it wouldn’t cost her that much. I’ll talk with Melinda and have her ask Annette to take Susan in.,”

“Doesn’t Annette have a boyfriend that works at Home Depot over there?” My husband looks at me for an answer.

“Yes, but he is a nice, sweet guy and is trusted by the pack. Even, Stanley likes him and that’s not an easy thing to do. Stanley is one the hardest people to impress.”

“Couldn’t Annette’s boyfriend give Susan a ride to Elizabeth’s office and bring her back to their place?”

“He could if his schedule permits him too. Remember he is one of the managers at the store and normally works long hours that’s why he and Annette get along so well. She said one time that if he was home at the same time, she was, they both would go crazy. With her working nights and him working days, it works out. It also works out great in the sense that Susan is a night person like Annette. That way Annette can watch out for her during the day.” I stretch my legs out and take a sip from my coffee cup that had been sitting on my night table.

My cell phone starts to ring next to me. Tom reaches over and picks up the phone to answer it.

“Hello?” My husband stands there with my cell phone against his ear.

“Tom?” Stanley is surprised that Tom answered Vicky’s phone instead of her.

“Yes.” My husband answers Stanley back.

“Where’s Vicky at?” Stanley’s voice comes over the cell.

“She’s laying here in bed recovering from last night Stanley. Here I’ll hand you to her so she can explain things to you.” My husband hands my cell to me.

“Hello?” as I take the phone from my husband.

“Vicky?” I listen to the unspoken question in my head alpha’s voice.

“Yep!” I responded to his question.

“So, what happen last night with Susan?” I hear Stanley’s voice take on a more commanding voice.

“Some Coyotes from the Coeur pack took liberties with Susan last night and I don’t mean in a good way either. Four of them rape and beat her up. Since it was against her will, I punished them for what they did to her. Tom had to come in and help out because one of them was going to try and kill Susan. I protected her as best as I could, but I ended up getting seriously hurt and had to be rush home and healed by a friend before it was too late.”

“How is Susan doing?” as I listen to the concern in his voice.

“She’s doing better. My friend that healed me also healed her injuries and made sure that she wasn’t pregnant from her ordeal. She’s sound asleep in my guest room. I feel though she is going to need counseling for what happened to her. I think Elizabeth would be the best person to help her since both of them are of our pack. I figure she could stay with Annette and her boyfriend and be under their watchful eyes till she is doing better.”

“Hhhmmm!!, that does sound like a good idea. Annette has gone through something like this before with an old boyfriend she had years ago, and Elizabeth helped her through it when she was just beginning her practice. Alright, I’ll call Elizabeth and make an appointment for Susan to go and see her right away. I’ll also have Annette and her boyfriend come out to your place and get Susan and take her to their place.” as Stanley’s voice relaxes some.

“Okay, I’ll be home. I don’t have to go out anywhere until later tonight anyway. If I’m asleep Tom or my next-door neighbor will be here.” I look over towards my husband and Oilibhear.

“Where are you going tonight?” Stanley’s voice takes on a curious note.

“I’m working on a case and I need to go down to the city morgue tonight and look at some bodies that were found near the area I am working. Plus, I need to see Mistress Selena about something that I found that I need answers about.” I wait to hear what Stanley’s response will be.

“Who are you taking as back-up with you? Because you know I don’t approve for any of you to visit her without at least two others with you.”

“I hadn’t planned on taking anyone with me. This a case I am working on and I don’t want to get anyone else involved in this case Stanley. This has nothing to do with the pack and I want Mistress Selena to respect me on this. I don’t want her to think that the pack is getting involved.
Plus, she won’t do anything to me since I am going in under the protection of my badge. Not as a council member’s wife or as a representative of the Bloody Fang clan.” as I sit there a little mad now.

“It’s not Mistress Selena that I’m worried about Vicky. I know she will keep her word and will not allow anything to happen to you while you are there under her protection. It’s the others that I have problems with. She may be Mistress of this area, but there are still those individuals that feel they are beyond her control or aren’t bound to her by the blood that you need to worry about. Mistress Selena has always kept her word with us and that has earned her a certain trust, but the others that have come over in the past few years haven’t earned that trust from us and there is a rumor that one of them may be trying to up seat her.”

“Are you saying that one of them might take this as an opportunity to strike at us through me?” as a shiver travels throughout my body.

“Maybe, I’ve been hearing some rumors lately that has me concern about the community lately that hasn’t been pleasant. Two months ago a kiss of vampires up in New York went on a killing spree and the Master of New York had a hard time putting them back under his control.
There was another incident of the same thing happening out in South Dakota where the shifter community out there had to help the Master of that area bring a few groups of vampires under his control again because he lost control of them.”

“I didn’t know about that Stanley. Why didn’t you inform us about these incidents?” I look at my husband to watch his reaction. I know he can hear everything going on between me and Stanley because his hearing is almost as good as mine.

He sits down on the bed next to me and listens with a concerned look on his face as well.

“Because I wasn’t that concerned about it that much until I found out you were investigating the disappearance of a child. I put some feelers out and found out that several children from the Richmond and Alexander area have turned up missing as well. Along with several vampires as well.”

“Why wasn’t the public informed about the disappearance of the children? Isn’t that important enough for the normal people to know about?” I feel my anger growing.

“Because the police officers in charge of the investigations in those two cities were told to keep it under wraps.”

“Man, this is getting better and better by the minute. Okay, you have made your point. Who do you suggest I take with me then?”

“I’m sending Ajax and Jack with you. Jack already knows what is going on and the two of you have to work with each other before.”

“Ajax? God, he’s a cleaner. He is wanted by most of the vampires in this area for destroying some of their blood bars and covens. He’s even wanted down in North Caroline for destroying some of the blood bars and covens in that state as well. Jack is okay, but Master Attilio has a feud against him because Jack seduces his daughter and broke her heart. Master Attilio loves his daughter very much and liked Jack as a son, but after the breakup between his daughter and Jack. He hasn’t forgiven Jack for taking her innocents from her.” I watch as my husband shakes his head back and forth in disbelief.

“Stanley if I didn’t know any better. I would think you’re trying to start a war between us and the vampires. Jack will be okay, but Ajax on the other hand....” as I let my voice trial off.

I hear Stanley sigh on the other end “it’s either those two Victoria or you’re not going.”

Stanley hardly ever calls me by my birth name unless he is mad with me or has a point to make. “Okay, you win. I’ll take Ajax and Jack with me tonight since I don’t have a choice. They better be here and ready to go when I am.” as my voice goes up a little notch because of my anger.

“Now that this matter is settled why don’t you lay down and get some rest before Annette and her boyfriend show up to get Susan. Sleep tight.” as the cell phone goes dead.

I close my cell up and lay it on the end table next to my bed. “God, he is so controlling.” as I hit the bed mattress with my fist in anger.

My husband just chuckles. “He’s your leader Vicky. It’s his job to control you as he does. He wouldn’t be much of a leader if he didn’t.”

I just glare at my husband. He knows I don’t like being controlled by anyone unless I want to be controlled. Sure, I’m sub-servant to him because he is my husband and I know in our relationship he is the more dominant of the two of us. But that doesn’t mean I want to be controlled by anyone else including my alpha. The women in my family have always fought from being controlled by their alpha’s. They have always wanted to be treated as equals, not controlled.

Oilibhear just looks at me and shakes his head. “You’re lucky you were born in this time and age Vicky. Women in the past were treated as property and were traded and sold like pieces of furniture. At least this time and age you have rights and opinions about what you want to do with your life.”

“To a certain degree, we do. Women nowadays are still thought of as being the stay-at-home mommy who shouldn’t be at work or have opinions. The worst thing about it is that there are women that believe we should go back to the way things were before we got the right to choose for ourselves. They want to be taken care of and stay at home. They don’t want to work or have to deal with the things men do. I’m not like that and Stanley knows that. Heck! Even Tom knows that.” as I snuggle against my husband and feel his strong arms wrap around me.

“Wolf social structure and human social structure are two different things, Vicky. In nature the strongest alpha male rules. Not the female. The female is there to produce his offspring so that they may take their place in the pack. It’s the same in Were-wolf social structure as well, Vicky. Melinda is there to handle all the females in the pack and make sure they know their place. She is given the same respect by the males in the pack as well because she is the alpha’s chosen. You are only the third most powerful female in the pack. Which means you have to do whatever she tells you or Stanley tells you to do. If you forget to remember that then you’re going to be challenged or punish.” Oilibhear gives me a stern fatherly look.

“Still it doesn’t mean I have to like it. I never asked to be a wolf. It was just pure dumb luck that I was attacked while we were out hunting. Still your right. I have to do what my alpha tells me to do even if I don’t like it.” I feel Tom hold me tight against his body.

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It sucks

Samantha Heart's picture

But unfortunately its a male dominant world

Love Samantha Renée Heart.