Soixante-Trois Airlines: Sophie, part 8

Printer-friendly version

Sophie had a wide grin on her face as she stood among her colleagues, all of whom were wearing the same blue uniform as her. The uniform, especially the corset, was just as uncomfortable as it had been the first time Sophie had worn it 15 months earlier, but she had long since stopped caring about that. She had long since stopped feeling like an outsider in the uniform, as though she, as a genetic male, didn’t belong in the group of beautiful professional women. And she had long since stopped thinking of the women around her as mere colleagues, or subjects to be interviewed for a book- they were her friends, true friends she felt closer to than any other friend she had ever met. And except for a very select few, none had guided and supported her more than the blonde woman being honoured at the front of the room.

“Ladies,” Alana announced, making Sophie grin as she remembered that the group included her, “it is my great pleasure to introduce you to Soixante-Trois Airlines’ newest flight supervisor: Miss Abbey Watkins!” Sophie clapped and cheered as enthusiastically as the rest of her friends for her former mentor, who giggled nervously as Alana presented her with a brand-new blazer with special gold-coloured buttons on the front.

“Thank you, thank you so much!” Abbey squeaked as she donned the blazer and posed for photographs both from her friends and colleagues and a photographer the airline had hired for the event. “Ahh… I should probably give a speech, shouldn’t I?”

“Yes,” a voice in the room shouted, eliciting giggles from all the women in the room.

“I- I just want to thank the company for giving me this opportunity,” Abbey said. “Not only in a professional sense but in a personal sense as well.” Many of the assembled women nodded their heads in agreement with Abbey’s sentiment- and much to her own surprise, Sophie was one of them. “There’s one person in particular I’d like to thank, though,” Abbey continued with a sly grin, making one of the other gold-buttoned women on the stage roll her eyes. “Jessica Robertson-Tyler was my mentor on my first day here, and everything I need to know I learned from her. Not just about being a flight attendant, but about being a woman as well.” Once again, many of the women in the crowd nodded their heads, and once again, Sophie found herself being one of them. “And I’m sure she’ll be proud now that I’m her equal!” Abbey concluded with a smug grin as her former mentor approached and gave her a gentle, congratulatory hug.

“You wish,” Jessica teased her English friend, though while her lower face was smiling, her eyes were fixed on the crowd- more specifically, on the mismatched blue and green eyes of her wife, and the black buttons on her uniform.

Twelve stewardesses had applied for the supervisor’s role that Abbey had gained, and of the twelve, Paige was the most experienced in terms of the length of time she’d been employed by the airline. However, not for the first time, Paige was passed over for promotion, and once again the reason given was her having an excessive amount of time off sick. And while when questioned, the airline pointed to Paige’s multiple bouts of flu over the previous 24 months, she and Jessica both suspected that the real ‘illness’ they referred to were the three months Paige had taken off to recover from her SRS operation. Both women made sure to let Sophie know their concerns, with the understanding that they would anonymously make it into her expose.

“Well done, ‘boss’!” Paige said, forcing a smile on her face as the crowd mingled and she congratulated Abbey with a gentle hug. “I’ll try not tae get too jealous, hehe!”

“If anyone should be jealous, it’s me,” Abbey said with a sad sigh. “6 months’ probation in the supervisor role means I’ve lost my February slot for- well, my ‘slot’, heh.”

“Ugh, really?” Paige asked, suddenly feeling bad about her resentment of Abbey’s promotion.

“Yep,” Abbey sighed. “Gonna be February 2020 at the earliest now. Still, I knew that this was a possibility, and I’ve already waited 23 years, what’s another 12 months?”

“Aye, but it still sucks, though,” Paige sighed. “Know who’s been moved forward in the queue?”

“Umm, everyone else?” Abbey replied with a chuckle. “Seriously though, think it’s Nish next, then Annabelle.”

“Think you’re missing one!” Paige said, giggling as her wife approached her and gave her hand a stealthy squeeze.

“Ah, how could I forget!” Abbey giggled. “How long is it now?”

“Five days,” Jessica replied with a nervous laugh. “really starting to feel the nerves now!”

“Ah, you’ll be fine,” Abbey giggled. “God knows you’ve waited long enough.”

“Yeah,” Jessica sighed happily. “Hoping to be well enough to go to the States at Christmas, and for my brother’s 21st too. Assuming my ‘nurse’ will even let me get out of bed!”

“Annnnnd we’re getting into a topic I really don’t want to discuss,” Abbey said, chuckling as Jessica and Paige headed out of the cramped employee area. Before the newly promoted woman could catch her breath, though, a group of three familiar faces filled the space left by Jessica and Paige.

“Meet the new boss, sexy as the old boss!” Amy teased the blonde Essex native, who rolled her eyes in reply.

“Yeah, yeah, get it over with,” Abbey snorted, before giggling. “But thanks, girls! I promise not to come down TOO hard on you on our first flight together, hehe!”

“We promise the same,” Hayley said with a smug grin.

“Most importantly,” Amy teased, “when are you planning on celebrating your new job? And by ‘new job’ I mean ‘raise’. And by ‘celebrate’ I of course mean ‘a shopping trip’!” Abbey, Amy and Hayley all giggled as the fourth woman in the group looked up excitedly at the mention of the words ‘shopping trip’.

“…What?” Sophie protested. “It’s been ages since the last ASH shopping trip.”

“And I wouldn’t want to intrude on you three’s ‘special time’,” Abbey teased. “By which I mean ‘I’m not paying for everything’ Or indeed ANYthing.” Abbey grinned as her three friends all giggled excitedly.

“Eh, it was worth a try!” Amy said with a grin as she, Hayley and Sophie headed toward their flights, the rest of the crowd dispersing shortly afterward.

“Okay then,” Jessica said with a giggle as she sat Abbey down at one of the desks in the formerly cramped room. “Better get you clued up on what you need to know about being a supervisor, seeing as it’s my flights you’ll be supervising for the next three months, hehe!”

“Hehe!” Abbey giggled in reply. “Thanks for this- all this, I mean. Especially as, umm, I know Paige was up for the same promotion…” Abbey bit her scarlet-coloured lip as a dark look briefly passed over her old mentor’s face.

“She won’t hold it against you, honestly,” Jessica whispered in reply. “She doesn’t hold grudges against people like that, especially not friends. Hell, she didn’t against me.”

“Umm, I’d kinda hope not, she married you,” Abbey reminded her American friend. “And thanks for reminding me this is the second time she’s been passed over for promotion.”

“Honestly, don’t worry about Paige,” Jessica said in a calm, soothing voice. “Just ‘cause she’s Scottish doesn’t mean she’s permanently angry all the time, heh!”

“Yeah, I guess,” Abbey giggled. “And she’ll probably get the promotion next time round.”

“Too right she will,” Jessica chuckled. “Though I’ll be honest, I am kinda surprised any of, you know, ‘us’ got the promotion at all.”

“And by ‘us’, you mean…” Abbey asked, holding up two fingers on each hand and smiling as Jessica nodded. “Yeah, I was kinda surprised Alana chose me over, say, Michelle or Emily.”

“You’ve been here longer than both of them combined!” Jessica retorted with a giggle. “Besides, I think the powers that be have other ‘targets’ in mind.” Abbey nodded at the American woman’s implication- she knew exactly which ‘target’ Jessica was referring to.

Shortly after the presentation, the ‘target’ in question took a deep breath- or rather, as deep as her tight, extra-carefully inspected uniform would allow- before removing the restraints on her drinks trolley and pushing it out into the cabin of the aeroplane.

“Can I help you, sir?” Ellen asked the young, smartly dressed businessman, trying not to fidget as he stared intently at her nylon-covered legs and curvaceous body in her tight uniform.

“Just a cup of coffee, please,” the young man replied in a low, almost purring French accent that made Ellen’s skin crawl.

“Would you like milk and sugar, sir?” Ellen asked as she poured the passenger’s drink.

“Please,” the businessman replied. “And one of those chocolate biscuits as well, from the third shelf down.” The shelf that’s too high to justify me crouching but too low for me not to have to bend over to get it, Ellen thought to herself as she bent down to retrieve the biscuit, grimacing at the feel of her already tight skirt stretching further over her backside.

“Will there be anything else, sir?” Ellen asked.

“No thank you,” the young man replied, smirking as he took a bite out of his biscuit. Ellen smiled and nodded as she took her trolley to her next thirsty passengers, and tried her hardest not to scream as every passenger- all of whom were young, affluent men like the first man- requested the same beverage and the same sweet treat from the same shelf. By the time Ellen returned to the plane’s kitchen, her cheeks were flushed with embarrassment, even though, as she reminded herself, it was the same thing that happened to almost every stewardess on the dreaded London to Paris flight. Even though recently, every flight she had done had been the dreaded London to Paris flight.

“Hey,” Hayley said as Ellen refilled the refreshment trolley with a loud sigh. “At least it’s not a long flight, right?”

“Even though it feels like it,” Ellen snorted.

“Well- just think of what’s waiting for you when you get back to London,” Hayley advised, bringing a wide grin to her friend’s face. Ellen was only too happy to endure the sneers and the lecherous looks and comments from her passengers if it meant that end of the day, she could return to the woman she loved.

Ellen knew all too well that the way she and Amelie had got engaged had caused embarrassment to the airline’s management, just as she knew that was undoubtedly her fiancée’s plan all along. And she knew that even if Amelie had still been working for the airline, there was no way they would’ve dared to punish her. So, Ellen took her ‘punishment’ with a smile on her face, safe in the knowledge that as soon as the plane returned to Heathrow, her engagement ring would be back on her finger and she would soon be back in the arms of her beloved.

“Aww,” Hayley sighed sadly as the kitchen’s call light illuminated again and Ellen pushed her trolley back out into the cabin. “They’re like, you know, a proper ‘Juliet and Juliet’ story, you know?”

“I guess,” Alicia replied with a shrug. “But they must’ve known they’d get under the skin of the management, right? Especially Monsieur Masson himself.”

“Yeah, you never really met Amelie, did you?” Hayley asked with a giggle.

“No, but from what I’ve heard of her, I simply don’t get her,” Alicia replied. “Monsieur Masson has a net worth of what, 5 billion pounds?”

“Probably measured in euros instead of pounds, but it’s about that, yeah,” Hayley replied.

“And he has five children?” Alicia asked, earning a nod in reply. “So his children stand to inherit a billion euros each, right? Yet Amelie seems to be doing her best to get her dad to cut her out of his will.”

“Well, he is only in his fifties,” Hayley retorted. “It’s not like he’s going to drop dead tomorrow. Amelie just wants to be an independent woman, not simply known as the daughter of a billionaire, you know?”

“It’s a lot easier to be independent when you have a billion euros,” Alicia retorted, making her old mentor giggle.

“Ah, I am SO going to miss these chats when you’re out of probation,” Hayley chuckled. “Speaking of, have you chosen a theme for your ‘out of probation’ party yet? Something I can afford, I hope!”

“Umm,” Alicia replied, blushing and smiling bashfully as she suddenly found herself at the centre of attention. “I haven’t really… I don’t- I don’t know if-“

“Ah ah ah,” Hayley teased. “You know the rules. Though if I could tempt you out of bed on a Sunday morning-“

“HELL no,” Alicia giggled. “my last ballet lesson was when I was nine and that will stay my LAST lesson, hehe! And besides-“ Alicia paused as she considered her next words, bringing a look of confusion to her mentor’s face.

“Besides…?” Hayley asked.

“Oh, it- it’s nothing,” Alicia chuckled as she returned to filling up her coffee pots, though Hayley wasn’t convinced by her former pupil’s nonchalance.

Sophie let out a long sigh as she returned to her flat and eased her feet out of her designer high heeled shoes. Even after sixteen months of getting used to them, Sophie’s feet and calves still ached from hours of standing in high heels, though as she padded through to her room to change, Sophie mused that at times it felt just as odd to her to walk with her feet flat on the floor. After stripping off her stylish pencil dress, her corset and her stockings, Sophie mused that with at least hours until either of her flat mates returned from their flights, she had the perfect opportunity to return to being 'James', to remove her bra, breast forms and cache sex and not worry about her appearance or make any effort to appear outwardly female. And yet, as much as she wanted to relax, Sophie found that the only way she could effectively do that was to keep her 'enhancements' in place, pull on a pair of soft, tight leggings and a baggy t-shirt and curl up on her sofa with her smooth legs and manicured toes curled underneath her.

After dividing her attention between the TV and her phone for half an hour, Sophie let out a long sigh as she opened the ‘phone’ app on her mobile phone and scrolled to the contact she’d avoided calling for several weeks, but which she knew she couldn’t put off any longer.

“Hello?” The refined voice of Sophie’s mother asked as she answered the phone, causing Sophie to squirm despite her best efforts.

“Hi mum,” the stewardess replied in the voice that ‘James’ had used for the previous 24 years.

“James, hello!” Sophie’s mother replied. “How are you? I take it you had an early shift today at work?”

“Yeah,” James replied with a nervous chuckle. “Just, umm, Dublin and back…”

“I see,” James’s mother said. “And how is your book coming along? Still hard at work on it, right?”

“Umm, yep!” James replied, his face flushing at the knowledge that he’d just lied to his mother. She knew that the truth was that the book had long since been completed and was in the final stages of editing, and there was absolutely no need for 'Sophie' to still work for the airline at all.

“Well, I’m still looking forward to it,” James’s mother said. “As is your father, provided the information isn’t TOO personal! We’re actually taking a flight to Paris at the start of December, spending a romantic weekend there as a sort-of late silver wedding anniversary treat.”

“Oh, that sounds great!” James cooed. “Will- will you be flying with Soixante-Trois?”

“I- I don’t think so,” James’s mother replied. “Doubt seeing his son dressed as a stewardess would put your father in the mood for a romantic weekend!”

“I- I guess not,” James replied, disguising the disappointment in his voice. Why was it so much easier for his friends, none of whom he had known for longer than eighteen months, to accept him than his own parents?

‘James’ spent the next 20 minutes chatting with ‘his’ mother, filling her in on ‘his’ work and health, but avoiding any details about the specifics of ‘Sophie’s life. When Sophie hung up the phone, she let out a long sigh of relief, happy that her obligation to her family had been fulfilled. However, she felt a sense of stress about continually having to lie to her parents…

Sophie decided to distract herself from her thoughts by preparing herself and her soon-to-return flat mates a quick dinner, but was interrupted within minutes by a quiet, polite knock at the front door.

“Ugh, forgotten your key AGAIN, Ames?” Sophie muttered aloud as she opened the door but let out a gasp of shock at the sight that greeted her- not just because it wasn’t either of her flat mates, but because of the elaborate way her guest was dressed.

The woman, who appeared to be Sophie’s age or younger, was wearing a long, slender-fitting dress with a slit asymmetrical skirt and elaborate lace fringing at the hem. On her legs were dark tights with a loose crisscross pattern and a pair of spike-heeled stiletto pumps, and around her waist was a corset that had been tightened far more than any Sophie had ever worn to work. Her face had been made-up with a pale but glossy foundation, thick false eyelashes and burgundy eyeshadow and lipstick, and her otherwise plain brown hair seemed to glisten with every colour of the rainbow. And yet, despite the woman’s almost otherworldly nature, all Sophie could think was ‘I wish I could emulate this look’.

“Umm… Hi?” Sophie asked.

“Hello,” the woman replied in a refined tone. “May I speak with Amy, please? I have the garments that she requested two months ago.”

“Umm, Amy isn’t back yet,” Sophie replied as she slowly began to remember the woman’s identity. “She should only be a few minutes though, please, please come in, make yourself comfortable. It’s Ophelia, isn’t it?”

“Yes, I am Ophelia Cassiopeia Love,” the woman replied with a polite smile as she entered the flat carrying two garment bags, one that obviously contained a dress and one that contained a smaller garment. “May I hang these up anywhere? I would not like them to be creased.”

“Umm, sure,” Sophie replied, taking the bags and hanging them in her bedroom doorway while Ophelia elegantly sat down on the sofa. “Would you like anything to drink?”

“Only if you are also having a beverage,” Ophelia replied. “Your name is Sophie, is it not? I believe we met at Jessica and Paige’s wedding in August.”

“Yeah, that’s me,” Sophie replied. “And I think we met before at the karaoke night in March? Only your hair looked kinda different back then.”

“Four years of experimenting with hair dyes does take its toll on one’s hair,” Ophelia replied with a sad sigh. “I decided I preferred having thick brown hair to brittle rose and gold hair. And so, does my husband.”

“Cool,” Sophie replied. “So, umm, do you make a lot of dresses for people?”

“Both for a career and a hobby,” Ophelia replied. “I graduated from university in the summer with a degree in fashion design, and I now work at an upmarket fashion house in London. However, I will always find time to create for my friends and for those who ask.”

“Cool,” Sophie repeated.

“Have you worked for your airline for long?” Ophelia asked.

“Almost a year and a half,” Sophie replied. “I- I always wanted to be a journalist, that’s what my degree is in.”

“Oh,” Ophelia said. “Pardon me, but if you do not mind me asking- “

“How I ended up working for Soixante-Trois?” Sophie interrupted. “It- it’s kinda a long story, heh.”

“My apologises, I did not mean to pry,” Ophelia said, blushing bashfully and seeming as relieved as Sophie was when the front door opened again, and Amy walked through it.

“Hi honey, I’m home!” The ginger woman announced, before smiling at the sight of the guest sitting on her sofa. “Oh, hi Ophelia! Sorry I’m a little late, we were delayed leaving Brussels. Hope I didn’t keep you waiting long?”

“I arrived only a few minutes ago,” Ophelia said. “I have completed the items you asked for. As you asked me to use my own judgement for the colouring, I made your dress a deep shade of red to complement your hair. I also cinched in the waist as you asked.”

“Ah, this looks perfect!” Amy said as she unzipped the larger garment bag and examined the delicate dress within. “I really, REALLY needed a proper evening gown like this, thank you so much!”

“It is my pleasure as always to create gowns for my friends,” Ophelia replied with a subtle smile. “The other garment I designed in a deep shade of green, which I felt would be appropriate considering what you had told me.”

“Well- yes, true,” Amy said nervously. “Thank you so much for both of these, are you sure I can’t give you any more money for this?”

“We agreed upon a price, to which you accepted,” Ophelia said. “I would not feel right accepting more.”

“Well- okay,” Amy said with a giggle, before giving the elaborately dressed woman a gentle hug. “And thanks again!”

“It was my pleasure,” Ophelia said. “Now if you will excuse me, I must depart, my husband shall be returning from university shortly.”

“Okay,” Amy said with a smile as she saw her guest to the door. “Take care!”

“She seems nice,” Sophie said with a shrug as she returned to the kitchen to continue cooking dinner.

“She is,” Amy said. “And loves everything about clothes despite having been born female, hehe!”

“Lucky her,” Sophie chuckled. “I mean, doing what she loves for a living.”

“And so are you,” Amy reminded her flat mate. “At least, you will be when you leave the airline, I guess.”

“Yeah, I guess…” Sophie said with an awkward chuckle. “That’s still a way off yet.”

“Glad to hear it,” Amy said. “And not just because I reckon we’re going to be down another employee in the near future…”

As Amy and Sophie were talking, the employee Amy was referring to was counting the seconds until the end of her flight back from Paris to London and trying not to count the number of times her body had been ogled by the passengers on the flight. Ellen let out a sigh of relief as the ‘fasten seatbelts’ sign illuminated and the plane began its final descent into Heathrow airport, and another, longer sigh as the last of the passengers disembarked and her colleagues could begin the tedious process of cleaning the plane before its next flight. However, when Ellen returned to the kitchen, she was shocked to discover that not all of the passengers had left the plane.

“Umm, excuse me, miss,” Ellen said nervously to the tall young woman, who regarded her with a stern stare. “This area is for employees only, I’m going to have to ask you to-“

“You know who I am,” the young woman replied in a refined Parisian accent that Ellen couldn’t help but think sounded a lot like Amelie’s- and her eyes widened as she realised that the intruder had a lot more than that in common with her fiancée.

“Ou- oui, pardonnez moi, Mademoiselle Masson,” Ellen whispered.

“That’s better,” Veronique Masson, Amelie’s older sister, replied as a scowl spread across her immaculately made-up face. “You also know why I’m here.”

“I- I think so,” Ellen mumbled.

“Good,” Veronique said. “My sister has always been headstrong. She has always believed she is cleverer than all of us, that she knows better, especially for her own self. I’m sure you believe she loves you. And you may love her. But she is fickle. She will grow tired of you just as she has her family. You will not find happiness with her.” Ellen gulped as she prepared her response- she knew that Amelie was prone to rash decisions and acting before thinking, but she also knew one far, far more important thing- that she loved Amelie, and Amelie loved her.

“I already have found happiness,” Ellen defiantly whispered.

“…Fine,” Veronique sighed. “If you will not listen to reason, you shall listen to this: Amelie will face punishment for the embarrassment she has caused our father, I assure you of that. Either you shall face it with her, or you shan’t. the choice is yours.”

“I- I’m sure the press will love that,” Ellen said, her voice approaching a low growl. “The owner of an airline that prides itself on being LGBT inclusive punishing his own daughter for being in a same-sex relationship. With someone who isn’t even transgendered?”

“Do not push your luck,” Veronique sneered. “You are just a poor girl from a poor home in in a poor city. Amelie deserves far, far better than you. And she will realise that soon.” Ellen felt her blood start to boil at the multiple layers of the older woman's insult. Ellen's mother hadn't been rich, and her house had been small, but she had always seen a working-class upbringing as a sign of strength, not weakness. And she was NOT going to allow a 'spoiled princess' like Veronique to insult her beloved home city.

“Yeah, I might not have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth,” Ellen retorted. “But that doesn’t make me any less than you. Amelie. Loves. Me. Don’t believe me? Ask her yourself.”

“This is your final warning,” Veronique sneered at the defiant young woman, before turning her back and disembarking the plane. Immediately as Veronique left the kitchen, Ellen slumped into a seat, trying desperately to catch her breath and prevent herself from panicking.

“Hey Ellen,” Hayley said as she entered the kitchen, “was that who I thought it w- El- Ellen? Are you okay?”

“Ugh, maybe, I dunno,” Ellen replied in a low moan. “And yes, yes that was Masson’s daughter. The older one, not the good one.”

“Think you might be biased there,” Hayley said, making Ellen giggle. “Guessing she was, you know, applying some ‘pressure’?”

“Something like that,” Ellen sighed. “God…”

“Gonna tell Amelie about this?” Hayley asked.

“I dunno,” Ellen sighed. “Reckon Veronique’s gonna go round there and tell her personally. God knows Amelie’s taken a LOT of crap from her family the last few months. And probably years too, come to think of it.”

“She always struck me as being, you know, confrontational…”

“A bit, yeah,” Ellen said with a snort of laughter. “Though I still reckon Fat Tony wouldn’t be anywhere near as pissed off if Amelie had shacked up with a guy instead of a girl. Maybe ‘cause he could intimidate a guy more, I dunno.”

“Or maybe it’s just another family torn apart by people who can’t accept others being LGBT,” Hayley said, musing on both the broken nature of her own home thanks to her and her father’s transition, and the family situation of her flat mate as well…

After arriving back home, Hayley joined her flat mates in watching a movie on Netflix and sharing a bottle of wine, before all three women opted for an early night. None of the trio had a flight the following day, but they all had busy days nonetheless that they wanted to be ready for- Amy most of all.

The ginger-haired woman was awake the following morning long before her phone’s alarm sounded, her anxiety about the coming day making it impossible for her to sleep. However, it wasn’t just Amy who was affected by her insomnia.

“Stop tossing and turning,” Hayley tiredly grunted as she heard her roommate’s sheets rustle yet again. “Honestly, the sooner Rachel moves in here the better, I bet she sleeps like a log.”

“Yes, yes, alright,” Amy sighed. “Can you blame me, though?”

“I- I guess not, under the circumstances,” Hayley sighed. “Between you today and Ellen and Amelie yesterday I’m kinda glad I’m not the only one with a messed-up family.”

“Hey, my family isn’t ‘messed up’,” Amy retorted. “Not- well- ugh, I dunno. Kinda why I’m so nervous about today, I haven’t seen Jade in what feels like AGES…”

“Yeah,” Hayley sighed sadly.

“And for the record, I’M rooming with Rachel,” Amy said, making her roommate snort with laughter.

“You wish,” Hayley scoffed. “I’d have thought you and Sophie would want to be together, anyway?”

“Oh- this AGAIN?” Amy groaned. “How many bloody times do I have to tell-“

“Okay, okay, I’m just messing with you,” Hayley giggled. “And keep the voice down, don’t want to wake the missus up, do you?” Hayley giggled again as her roommate’s only response was a very loud, very wet raspberry blown in her direction.

While Amy and Hayley were trying to sleep, another pair of Soixante-Trois Airlines’ flight attendants were already dressed and making their way to the airport to begin their shift. One of the two, however, was trembling with anticipation, not at what the day would bring, but the weeks afterward.

“Hello Mrs. R-T!” Rhianna teased as Jessica and Paige entered the cramped locker room. “And Mrs. R-T, of course!”

“Ah, thank you, thank you!” Paige giggled, before sighing as she took off her wedding and engagement rings and carefully locked them away in her locker. “One of these days we may actually be allowed to acknowledge that on a flight, heh.”

“Meh, safety, I guess,” Rhianna shrugged as she and her two friends changed into their blue uniforms. “At least one of you will be able to keep them off for three straight months in a few days’ time!”

“A few HOURS time,” Jessica retorted with a wide, smug grin. “Last shift before- well, ‘before’ today, hehe!”

“Eee, so exciting!” Rhianna squeaked. “And yes, I am SO jealous, heh.”

“It’ll be your turn soon,” Jessica said with a sympathetic smile.

“And take it from a girl who knows,” Paige said, “the recovery is a TOTAL pain, but in the long run, it is so worth it.”

“Heh,” Rhianna chuckled. “Where you off to today, Paige?”

“Amsterdam,” Paige replied. “Nice quick one. Before my two weeks off it’ll probably be Athens, heh.”

“You going to be Jessica’s nurse while she recovers, then?” Rhianna asked.

“Aye,” Paige replied with a wide smile. “I figured I’d return the favour. That, and wild horses couldn’t drag me away from her bedside while she’s laid up!”

“SO romantic,” Rhianna sighed happily.

“And then again over Christmas to go and visit Jess’s family,” Paige said. “Doubt we’d have both got the leave if it wasn’t for her, well, you know.”

“Not over Christmas for two years in a row, no,” Jessica nervously chuckled.

“How- how have your family reacted to- well, you know?” Rhianna hesitantly asked.

“…It was tough for them, at first,” Jessica whispered. “I mean, I’d been their son for 22 years, and even I’d resigned myself to the fact that… Umm, anyway, you know, when I started for the airline, it was, you know, an adventure? To see if I could live and work full-time as a woman. Back then, I genuinely never, NEVER thought it’d lead- well, to this.”

“I never doubted it,” Paige whispered, giving her wife’s hand a supportive squeeze.

“As for my family…” Jessica said contemplatively. “I guess they’ve just become used to it. Like they’ve become used to me living thousands of miles away over the last four years. It’s like ‘Jesse’ just ceased to exist when I moved to Paris and now here’s this woman who looks like him who’s taken his place, I dunno. All I do know is that if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a single thing.” Rhianna sighed happily as Jessica reciprocated her wife’s squeeze and gazed deeply into her mismatched eyes for a brief, loving moment.

“Again, SO romantic,” Rhianna sighed. “Anyway, we’d better get moving, Glasgow isn’t going to fly itself to our passengers, after all.”

“More’s the pity,” Paige said, earning a giggle from her fellow Scotswoman. “I’ll see you when you get home babe.”

“See you then,” Jessica whispered, giving her wife a gentle kiss before leaving the locker room with Rhianna in tow. Before the two women could get ten steps, however, they were intercepted by their manager, who had a serious look on her face.

“Jessica,” Alana said stoically. “Can I have a word, please?”

“Umm, sure…” Jessica replied. “Might be cutting it fine with the flight, though…”

“This won’t take five minutes,” Alana said as she led the American woman to her office, both women barely acknowledging the look of fury on Ellen's face as she passed them en route to the locker room.

"Ugh, GOD!" Ellen growled as she slammed her handbag down in her locker and let out a long, pained sigh.

"Umm... Hi, Ell?" Paige asked with a nervous wave. "Guessing everything's not okay, then?"

"You think?" Ellen snarled, before sighing. "Ugh, sorry Paige, it- it's just I got into a bit of an argument with Amelie last night, that's all."

"Was it your fault, or hers?" Paige asked.

"Neither, which is why it's so frustrating," Ellen sighed. "Her sister was on a flight yesterday."

"And given who the rest of her family is, that IS a big deal," Paige said with a nod.

"Exactly," Ellen sighed. "And she went to speak with Amelie yesterday and- ugh. Long story short, Fat Tony's making another attempt to split the two of us up and isn't above using his own daughter to threaten another daughter."

"Ugh," Paige spat. "Why can't he and his family just be happy for you and Amelie? It's not like he's the picture of a stable family unit anyway, with all the times he's been divorced, right?"

"If I knew, I'd tell you," Ellen sighed.

"Maybe it's because Amelie's, you know, 'in your face'?" Paige hesitantly asked.

"Given that the sister who came to see us yesterday was arrested in Paris in 2011 for IPM, I'm guessing that's not the reason," Ellen sighed. "Ugh, I dunno. Bitch even had the nerve to say that Amelie didn't really love me."

"She obviously doesn't know her own sister, then," Paige said, bringing a smile back to the northern girl's face.

"Heh, I guess not," Ellen whispered. "Then again, I didn't know about Natalie after living with her for fifteen years..."

"But you knew she still loved you, and always would," Paige said softly. "And take it from someone who knows about 'turbulent love'- so does Amelie. And you two WILL get through this. I already know which dress I'm wearing to the wedding too, hehe!"

"A bridesmaid's dress?" Ellen asked with a cheeky grin.

"Damn right," Paige giggled as she balanced her blue pillbox hat on her head and bade farewell to Ellen with a gentle hug.

Jessica tried not to fidget as she and Alana entered the small office in the bowels of the airport. Whatever reason Alana had for speaking to her privately, Jessica knew she wasn't going to like it.

“Is- is this about my leave?” Jessica asked, adjusting her tight skirt as she sat down opposite her manager.

“Yes, yes it is,” Alana replied. “Because the airline will be adding additional flights over the festive season, which will need supervisors, I’m afraid we’ve had to cancel your medical leave.” Jessica’s jaw dropped open, both at the news and the blunt, unapologetic way in which it was delivered.

“I- I’m sorry?” Jessica asked disbelievingly. “You literally just promoted Abbey to supervisor yesterday?”

“To replace someone who left the airline,” Alana said. “We don’t have the budget to promote anyone else at this time.”

“I thought- I thought the London hub received extra funding this year?” Jessica asked.

“Well you don’t deal with finance, so you don’t know the specifics,” Alana retorted. “Obviously we’ll also have to cancel your leave over Christmas as well.”

“I- ugh,” Jessica groaned. “My brother’s 21st birthday is on December 23rd, he’ll be gutted if I’m not there…”

“Well it’s not our problem that he was born so close to the busiest time of the year,” Alana said with a dismissive shrug. “You knew when you joined the airline that business needs come first, they always have.”

“When I joined the airline,” Jessica said, “transgendered employees’ right to 3 months leave for SRS was also guaranteed. It was bad enough that you only allow one of us that leave at a time…”

“Employment conditions are always subject to business needs,” Alana said. “We need bodies on those planes. End of story.” Jessica bit her scarlet-coloured lip as she listened to her manager’s explanation, and with every word she heard, all she could think of was how unfairly she was being treated, and how every time something like this had happened in the past, her friend Natalie would reply with one word: union. However, while Jessica acknowledged that she and her colleagues needed to have a stronger voice, especially when it came to negotiating with management, she also knew that without the support of most if not all of her colleagues, a union would collapse almost immediately and leave those responsible in a worse bargaining position than before- and there would always be those who would want to exploit the union for their own personal gain.

"I- I understand," Jessica whispered.

"Good," Alana said stoically. "Also, it would be best if you would erase any mention of the operation from your social media pages, so as not to cause any confusion. I also don't need to tell you the consequences of criticising this decision on your social media pages either."

"No," Jessica said as she felt her heart sink. With no way of arguing against her manager, Jessica excused herself, and, with a heavy heart, headed to her flight. Much to her surprise, though, her primary thought wasn’t about herself, but how disappointed her family would be not to see her over the holiday period- and how furious Paige would be when she learned the news…

“You okay?” Hayley asked Amy as the two of them headed east toward the ginger girl’s hometown.

“Hmm?” Amy asked. “Oh, umm, yeah, sure. Just, you know, tired…”

“And anxious,” Hayley whispered, giving her friend’s hand a gentle squeeze.

“Okay, maybe a little,” Amy sighed. “I’m just glad I’m getting this over and done with early, heh.”

Hayley nodded and remained silent as their train continued eastward, sensitive of the tension that filled her friend’s body. It wasn’t until the two women had arrived at their destination, a small semi-detached house in the Sittingbourne suburbs, that either of them spoke again.

“You okay?” Hayley whispered as she and Amy walked through the small garden toward the house’s front door.

“I wish you’d stop asking that,” Amy groaned, before shaking her head. “I- I dunno. I mean, it’s been months…”

“You’ll be okay,” Hayley whispered, standing back as Amy rang the doorbell. Seconds later, the door was answered by a young woman around the same age as Amy, who tried unsuccessfully to suppress a frown as she saw the two visitors.

“Oh,” the young woman said. “Hello.”

“Hi,” Amy said softly. “I- I know we’re early, sorry about that, but I figured- umm, thought you’d want to get this over and done with, maybe?”

“Yeah,” the woman replied.

“Oh, umm, this is Hayley, by the way,” Amy said. “Hayley, this is Kerry.”

“Nice to meet you,” Hayley said, exchanging a gentle handshake with Kerry.

“Is- is Jade in?” Amy asked, smiling and nervously biting her lip as Kerry nodded and led them into the house’s cramped living room, where they found a small girl sat on the carpets, playing with her pink dolls' house.

“Hey there, Jade!” Amy cooed, her face lighting up at the sight of the little girl, who gasped with delight when she saw the ginger-haired woman.

“Auntie Amy!” Jade squeaked, jumping up to give Amy a tight hug. “Have you come to see me?”

“I have,” Amy replied with a smile that disguised the fact that deep down, her heart was breaking.

Amy and Hayley spent the next ninety minutes visiting with the young girl and her mother, exchanging stories of Jade’s school life and the friends she had made, as well as giving the young girl her new dress, which she eagerly modelled for the two women. Eventually, the time came for Amy and Hayley to leave, though the former didn’t do so until she’d exchanged one last, long hug with the little girl.

“I’ll see you soon, okay?” Amy asked, trying her hardest not to shed any tears.

“Okay,” Jade shrugged, before breaking the hug and going back to playing with her dolls. “Bye Auntie Amy!”

“Take care in school,” Amy said in a hoarse voice. “And listen to your mother, okay?”

“I’ll make sure she will,” Kerry said in a clipped voice as she ushered her guests toward the exit. “Thank you for the dress, I’m sure she’ll love it.”

“If there’s anything more I can do, just let know, please?” Amy asked, smiling as Kerry nodded and shut the door on the duo. Immediately as the door closed, Amy let out a long, pained moan, before accepting her friend’s hug and gently weeping onto her shoulder.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” Hayley whispered soothingly. “I can’t imagine how much that must suck, being called ‘auntie’ by your own daughter.”

“Thanks,” Amy whispered. “And thanks for coming along, I- I figure you’re the only person who’d understand, having a transgendered family member yourself.”

“Well- I- I guess,” Hayley sighed as she broke the hug. “Wish I could’ve been more practical help than just moral support, though. Has- has Kerry not said anything to Jade? I mean, she must ask about her father, right?”

“I guess,” Amy shrugged. “I only saw her a few times a year before- well, before Amy came along, heh. She was only just three when I started transitioning, probably doesn’t even remember ‘Andy’.”

“So where’s the harm in telling her that you’re the same person?” Hayley asked.

“Good question,” Amy snorted as she and Hayley headed back to the railway station. “Kerry says she’s ‘protecting’ Jade. God knows what from.”

“Yeah, I remember hearing a few arguments between my parents on the same topic,” Hayley snorted. “But- but I’m not a parent, I guess. What do I know?”

“You know there’s no shame in being trans,” Amy replied to her friend’s rhetorical question. “Or in having a trans relative. But- ugh, whatever. It’s not like Kerry’s banning me from seeing Jade or anything, I should be grateful for THAT at least.”

“Even if she’s forcing you to lie to her?” Hayley asked, and this time, Amy had no response. “I- I’m sorry…”

“No, you don’t have anything to apologise for, believe me,” Amy sighed. “I’ll be okay, honestly. One day, maybe Jade herself will acknowledge me as her father." Or maybe she'll never see me as a relative at all, Amy self-pityingly thought to herself as she and Hayley continued their slow journey home.

Meanwhile, in London, Sophie was also accompanying a friend to their relatives’ house, and just as with Amy and Hayley, both women were expecting it to be a tense affair.

“Thanks for this,” Rachel said as she let her friend into her home. “Hate asking for help like this, on your day off and all.”

“I don’t mind, really,” Sophie replied with a smile that she hoped would ease the nineteen-year-old woman’s tension. “I do kinda get how this might be tough, heh.”

“Yeah, but it’s nothing compared to what- well, girls like you, and Amy and Hayley…” Rachel mumbled.

“Doesn’t mean that this is- and I quote- ‘nothing’,” Sophie said softly. “It’s a big deal when you move out of home for the first time. At lot for you and your family to adjust to, just because ‘girls like me’ have an extra- well, ‘layer’ for want of a better word, doesn’t mean this is trivial for you.”

“I guess,” Rachel sighed as she headed into the kitchen where her mother was waiting. “Hey mum, Sophie’s here now, so we’re ready to, erm…”

“Okay,” Rachel’s mother said stoically, making Rachel bite her lip and fidget. “What date will you formally be moving into your friends’ flat?”

“Umm, probably a week tomorrow,” Rachel mumbled. “After my birthday. Want to get, you know, everything sorted out first…”

“Okay,” Mrs. Lyscombe said, leading to an awkward silence in the room that was broken by an unexpected source.

“Oh, give her a break mum,” the tired sounding voice of Rachel’s younger sister snorted. “She’s not gonna live here forever.”

“Thank you, Nicki,” Rachel said with a warm smile. “Even if you are only saying that as you want my bedroom.” Sophie and Rachel both giggled as the fourteen-year-old girl merely snorted and rolled her eyes in response.

“I know, I know, you’re technically an adult and you want your own space,” Rachel’s mother. “But that doesn’t mean I don’t feel responsible for you, doesn’t mean I don’t want to do all I can to protect you.”

“Mum, last week as part of my job, I flew to Barcelona,” Rachel reminded her mother.

“Yes, thanks for THAT,” Mrs. Lyscombe said, before sighing. “Just- just don’t completely drop off the face of the Earth, okay?”

“Okay,” Rachel said, before sighing and giggling as she leaned in to give her mother a gentle hug. “If it helps, just think of it this way- at least I’m not moving in with Lucas.”

“And thanks for THAT,” Mrs. Lyscombe chuckled. “Go on, go and get your stuff, heh.”

“Thanks mum,” Rachel said with a smile. “Nicki? Feel like giving us a hand?”

“Umm, let me think, no?” The fourteen-year-old girl replied with a sarcastic snort.

“Quelle surprise,” Rachel half-sighed and half-chuckled as she and Sophie headed up to her bedroom. “And thanks for this, Soph.”

“In fairness, I have been pestering you about moving in for weeks,” Sophie chuckled. “Would be kinda hypocritical to expect you to do all the work yourself.”

“Meh, Nicki’s right about one thing, it IS about time I got my own place,” Rachel replied. “Okay, own place with three other girls, heh.”

“Yeah, about the ‘girls’ thing,” Sophie said. “Your parents, they- they are okay about-“

“If they’re not, then it’s their problem and they can deal with it,” Rachel replied bluntly. “Same goes for Lucas.”

“Meh, he knows you’ll be sharing a room with Hayley and that she’s straight, right?” Sophie shrugged.

“Meh, true, I guess,” Rachel replied. "It's just- you know, I mean, I love you girls, I really do, but- but family is family, isn't it?"

"Yeah, that's true," Sophie replied, sighing as she mused on her own family, and how their response to her current living arrangements bore a strong resemblance to Rachel's family. Sophie couldn't help but wonder whose family would be the first to be happy for their daughter living life the way she wanted...

“This is gonna suck,” Jessica whispered to herself, letting out a light groan as she opened her front door and made her way into her small living room, where she sighed happily at the sight that greeted her.

The entire front room had been decorated with pink streamers hanging from the ceiling, and small American flags pinned to all but one wall, on which was a banner that read ‘Good luck girl!’. To Jessica, though, the best thing in the room were her two friends Natalie and Zoe, and best of all, her proudly grinning wife, who held a cake decorated with the image of the American flag, only with the red stripes swapped out in favour of a delicate pink colour.

“Good luck girlie!” Paige, Natalie and Zoe all simultaneously cheered, making Jessica giggle and blush. However, her surprise and elation were soon replaced with a feeling of sadness, as she realised that she’d have to tell her friends- and worst of all, her wife- that the celebration would be all for nothing.

“Hey, wifey!” Paige giggled as she gently put the cake on her coffee table and rushed to give Jessica a gentle, welcoming kiss. “Do you like your party? Nat said that we should have a proper, big party with everyone, but I knew you’d prefer a smaller one for now, especially as it's Rachel's birthday on Friday too. The big celebration can wait until you’re back on your feet, hehe!”

“I love it,” Jessica replied, gazing happily into her wife’s blue and green eyes and returning her kiss.

“Are you nervous?” Natalie asked as she poured the American woman a glass of wine. “I mean, god knows I’d be, even if it isn’t something I’m planning on doing, you know.”

“Yeah…” Jessica grimaced, before letting out a long sigh. “Girls, you- there’s, umm, there’s something I need to tell you all…”

“Oh- you’re not getting cold feet, are you?” Paige asked.

“No, definitely not,” Jessica replied. “I want this, believe me, I really do, I just- ugh. Alana said today-“

“No, never mind,” Paige growled. “Any sentence that begins ‘Alana said’ isn’t going to end well.”

“When- when did she say you could-“ Natalie hesitantly asked.

“Basically, she didn’t,” Jessica sighed. “Said demand for supervisors over Christmas was too high to let me have time off.”

“What- so we can’t even go to America for Christmas either?” Paige hissed. “Ugh, that- ugh!”

“Girls, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again,” Natalie sighed.

“I know, that five letter word beginning with a ‘U’,” Jessica sighed. “Not going to do me any good in the short run though, is it? Doubt everyone will go on strike just to get me a holiday. Or a vagina, heh.”

“Either way, it is not fair to treat you like cattle like this,” Zoe spat. “Can you not do what we did, and get another job in another place?”

“Doubt that’ll be an option,” Jessica sighed. “Not when I’m only in the country on a work visa, especially with the dreaded B word coming up…”

“Yes, yes, I know,” Paige sighed, finishing her drink as the other three girls looked at her. “And you can apply for a spousal visa, right?”

“Yes, and I’ll have to go in front of a load of judges asking why I quit my job two months after getting hitched,” Jessica sighed. “I- I dunno. I mean, I’m sorry I’m bringing the mood down, especially when you’ve gone to all this trouble, and-“

“Don’t apologise, seriously,” Natalie said, leading Jessica to the sofa and gently sitting down next to her. “We’ll just have to celebrate again when you DO have your operation.”

“IF I have it, at this rate,” Jessica spat.

“Don’t- don’t say that,” Paige whispered, sitting down on the other side of her wife and wrapping her in a tight hug. “Ugh, though we’re definitely gonna have to tell your parents…”

“Ugh, they’re gonna LOVE this,” Jessica sighed. “Especially Aaron’s 21st…”

“Well- well you can call them later,” Natalie said. “Especially as it’s only 3:30pm there right now and I assume you both still have tomorrow off?”

“Yeah, we’ve got THAT at least,” Jessica snorted. “Ugh, I’ll call them later. Right now, I want to celebrate anyway. I can’t remember the last time it was just the four of us, you know? Just need to get Marie and Elsa here and we can have a real reunion, heh!”

“And we shall,” Zoe said confidently. “One of these days we shall go back to Paris, the six of us, but for fun, not for work.”

“Les survivantes de soixante-trois!” Natalie cheered.

“Les survivantes!” The four women toasted, before sitting back to enjoy the evening as best as they could.

Natalie and Zoe departed just after 9:30pm, and after Jessica and Paige had finished tidying up, the American woman took a deep breath to calm herself before dialling the longer number for her home in Baltimore.

“Hello?” Jessica’s mother asked as she answered the phone.

“H- hi mom, it’s Jess- it’s Jessica,” the blonde woman replied with a smile.

“Oh, hi Jessica!” Mrs. Tyler replied enthusiastically. “Today was your last day at work before- well, before your big day, wasn’t it?”

“Yep!” Jessica replied. “Well- well it was supposed to be, anyway.”

“Oh- what happened?” Jessica’s mother asked. “Are- are you having second thoughts?”

“No, not at all,” Jessica replied.

“Good,” Mrs. Tyler said, her response surprising her daughter.

“…What, really?” Jessica asked. “You and dad, you- you’ve never really been…”

“What, supportive of our daughter?” Mrs. Tyler asked, her voice conveying her offence at what her daughter insinuated.

“You- in the past, you-“ Jessica hesitated.

“In the past, we thought of you only as our son,” Mrs. Tyler said. “But over the last four years, you’ve shown us with everything you’ve said and done that ‘Jessica’ is the person you were always destined to be from the moment you were born. Your wedding was all the proof we needed.”

“Yeah,” Jessica said, smiling happily at the thought of the happiest day of her life.

“Speaking of which, how did Paige take the news?” Jessica’s mother asked.

“With unrestrained fury,” the American woman replied. “only slightly more than mine, heh.”

“Why is the operation being postponed, anyway?” Mrs. Tyler asked. “Is it due to work?”

“Yep,” Jessica sighed. “Apparently because I’m a supervisor, they need me for extra work, especially over the holidays.”

“Oh- so you can’t come over for Christmas either?” Jessica’s mother groaned. “Not even Aaron’s 21st?”

“Doesn’t look that way,” Jessica sighed, before pausing as her mother fell silent. “…Mom? You still there?”

“Just give me a second,” Mrs. Tyler said.

“You do know this is an international call, right?” Jessica asked.

“Yes, I do,” Mrs. Tyler replied in a tone that instantly silenced her daughter. Another minute passed before the middle-aged woman spoke again. “There. I’ve just sent an email to your Aunt Helen. Do you remember her?”

“Umm, barely,” Jessica replied. “She wasn’t at the wedding, don’t think I’ve seen her since- well, I don’t think she’s EVER met ‘Jessica’.”

“Maybe not,” Mrs. Tyler said. “But she always asks about you whenever she calls.”

“So- so how did she respond to ‘Jessica’?” The 26-year-old woman asked.

“Well, she’s just become the director of a new LGBT charity in New York, so you tell me,” Mrs. Tyler replied, sparking a memory within Jessica.

“Oh, of course,” Jessica said. “Aunt Helen was the one who grandma-“Jessica paused, fearful of reminding her mother of an unpleasant memory.

“…The one who my mother disowned for dating another woman,” Mrs. Tyler said quietly. “After your grandmother died last year, I reached out to her, and we’ve kept in touch.”

“Well- well that’s definitely cool,” Jessica said. “I’ll look her up on Facebook for sure, but why are you telling me about this?”

“Because she’s just become the director of a new LGBT charity in New York,” Mrs. Tyler repeated. “And she’s going to need people she can rely on working for her. Someone with experience of dealing with the public, extensive knowledge of LGBT issues, experience in a supervisory role… Sound like anyone you know?”

“Sounds like just about EVERYONE I know,” Jessica chuckled. “So- so are you saying that Aunt Helen would actually offer me a job?”

“No, I’m saying she’s offering you AND your wife jobs,” Mrs. Tyler replied. “Assuming Paige would want to live in New York?”

“Are you kidding?” Jessica laughed. “She’d jump so much at the chance she probably wouldn’t even need to fly to New York, heh. I just- I’m not sure I’m ready to, you know…”

“I know you love to travel,” Mrs. Tyler replied. “But you’ve lived in Europe for four years. Are there any European countries you HAVEN’T visited yet?”

“…I’ve never been to Andorra,” Jessica mumbled.

“Nor has anyone else,” Mrs. Tyler said. “And it’s been too long since you were last at home.”

“But- ugh, never mind,” Jessica chuckled. “I was going to say ‘Paige wouldn’t want to move away from her family’ but she’s only seen them three times in the last twelve months, INCLUDING the wedding.”

“And you know how much she loves America,” Mrs. Tyler said. “Five years and she can apply for citizenship, which you know she’d love.”

“As long as she doesn’t have to pledge allegiance to the person of the president,” Jessica chuckled.

“Presidents come and go,” Mrs. Tyler reminded her daughter. “Countries last much, much longer. And family is forever.”

“Yes,” Jessica thought out loud. “Yes, it is. Umm, I- I’ll talk to Paige about this. But I think I know what she’ll say. It- it’s just going to be hard to leave London, you know? You- you, dad, Aaron and Hayley, you- you aren’t my only family, you know?”

“I know,” Mrs. Tyler said. “But as just as we’ll always be your family, so will they, Natalie, Zoe and everyone. And it’s not like there aren’t regular flights from London to New York, you know?”

“I know,” Jessica said. "It's- I- I'm obviously going to have to talk to Paige about this."

"Take all the time you need," Jessica's mother said. "The job offer isn't going anywhere. And whatever you decide, know that we WILL love you, and we will support you."

"Thanks, mom," Jessica whispered, wiping a tear from her eye. "I'll call you in a bit, let you know what Paige says."

"Okay," Mrs. Tyler said. "Talk soon, daughter."

"Bye, mom," Jessica whispered, ending the call and heading back through to the living room, where her wife was waiting for her.

"What did she say?" Paige asked quietly.

"Umm... Nothing I was expecting," Jessica said, sitting down next to her wife and gently squeezing her hand.

"Wh- what is it?" Paige asked. "Is she alright?"

"She- she's fine, everyone's fine," Jessica replied, smiling as Paige breathed a sigh of relief. "Do you remember me telling you I had an aunt, who's estranged from the family?"

"I think you've mentioned her twice in all the time we've been together," Paige replied. "I know I've never met her, that's for sure. Or your grandparents, for that matter."

"Well, those two things are linked," Jessica whispered. "Long story short, my aunt is opening up an LGBT charity and wants us to work for her."

"Well, that's gre-" Paige said, before realising what her wife was implying. "Wait, you- you mean in America?"

"New York, to be precise," Jessica said. "The jobs, plural, are ours whenever we want them."

"But we'd have to leave London," Paige said. "And our friends..."

"I know," Jessica said, biting her scarlet-coloured lip to keep her emotions under control. "I- I know you always wanted to live and work in America, but- but I don't want to do this unless you truly, truly want to go. Wherever we go, we go together, always."

"Always," Paige whispered. "And I- I don't want to come between you and your SRS. I know, I said before the operation that it shouldn't change anything, but it- it really does, you know? I feel- I feel free, really free for the first time in my life, and I want you to feel the same way."

"I do," Jessica said, playing with the gold rings on her wife's left hand. "It's taken me this long to realise that you are all I truly need in my life."

"But you have wants as well as needs," Paige said. "And I have one want above everything else- I want you to be happy."

"As long as I have you, I am," Jessica whispered.

"Then I want you to be happIER," Paige said firmly. "And we both know it's not going to happen while we still work for the airline."

"If it wasn't for the airline, we wouldn't have each other," Jessica retorted. "God knows I probably wouldn't even be dreaming of SRS, let alone days away from going in for it."

"Same here," Paige said, smiling as she rubbed her thighs together and reminded herself of her new 'equipment'. "Jess, this- this has to be your decision."

"No," Jessica said, shaking her head. "it has to be OUR decision."

"...Then I know where I want us to be," Paige said, solemnly nodding her head.

The next day, Jessica and Paige walked into their manager's office and handed her their resignation notices. Rather than argue, Alana simply accepted the resignations and wished her former employees luck, and as a final gesture, excused the pair from working their notice period. The following Tuesday, Jessica went into hospital and underwent the operation she had longed for for so long, and two weeks after that, the pair entered Heathrow airport again, where tears were almost immediately shed. Not just because of the knowledge that they would not return for a long, long time, but because of the size of the crowd that had turned out to greet them.

"Oh- oh my god, you guys," Jessica blubbed as the assembled women began to crowd around her wheelchair.

"Did you really think we would stay away?" Zoe asked as she exchanged a long, tearful hug with both departing women. "You have both been in my life for so long, I cannot imagine it without you."

"And you won't have to," Paige reminded her French friend. "We're only ever a phone call or a Skype session away. And we'd better hear from you at least once a week!"

"It shall be tough to not call you once an hour!" Zoe sniffled, before giggling and exchanging another hug with each of the women.

"You do know you're leaving me in the fucking lurch, right?" Anna-Jade said with a grin that hid her emotional state.

"If anyone will survive, it's you," Jessica chuckled.

"It's gonna be much harder to without you two, honeys," Annabelle sighed as she took her turn to hug the married couple. "You two had better save a spare bed for me in New York, you hear?"

"Anytime you want to come over, you don't even need to ask," Jessica said, smiling as she hugged Annabelle again, safe in the knowledge that what feud they once had was long since over. "And well done on the promotion, of course!"

"These should be your buttons," Annabelle mumbled as she fiddled with the new gold-coloured fastenings on her blue blazer. "But thanks, honey. And good luck. Though I kinda feel you won't need it!"

"Well I will!" Abbey said as she hugged the married couple. "You leaving leaves me at the end of our little mentor-student 'food chain', you know?"

"Not quite," a bubbly German voice said, making Jessica gasp with shock. "What, was I meant to not say goodbye to the best pupil I ever had?"

"Oh my god, Elsa!" Jessica squeaked as she hugged the tall, slender woman. "And- and Marie too!?"

"It was bad enough when one sister moved to London," Marie said, wiping a tear from her eye. "Now two sisters are moving across the ocean!"

"Where we'll still be sisters, always," Paige said as she hugged the Frenchwoman.

"As will we," Rachel Harrison said as she hugged Jessica and Paige. "I would say 'stay out of trouble', but I know that one, you won't, and two, New York could use a little of your special brand of 'trouble', hehe!"

"You know it!" Jessica giggled, before sighing as the remaining six women approached her. "And I know I'm leaving this place in good hands, heh!"

"Ahh," Amy sighed as she leaned in for her hug. "Just wish I'd got to know you two better, heh."

"Ah, there's still time," Paige retorted as she hugged Hayley, then Rachel Lyscombe. "And we are TOTALLY coming back for you two's wedding, hehe!"

"I should hope so!" Amelie said, letting go of her fiancée’s hand long enough to hug her former mentor.

"And as for you," Jessica said quietly as Sophie leaned in for her hug, "I hope you find the answers you're obviously looking for. All I can say is keep doing what you're doing and you'll be okay. And never forget the family you have here."

"I won't, I promise," Sophie replied as she mused once again on the many families she had.

Floods of tears were shed by all the women as the Transatlantic flight was called, and the married couple headed off to start their new life in America. Once the flight was high over the Atlantic, Paige glanced across at her wife, a smile slowly creeping across her lips.

"Hey," Paige whispered. "You okay?"

"Hmm?" Jessica replied. "Yeah, umm, just a little sore. NOT looking forward to dilating when we land, though I guess it's better than trying to do so in an airplane bathroom, heh."

"I could always hold the door open if you'd like?" Paige asked, smiling as her wife giggled. "Okay, when we land it is. God, it just seems so weird, you know? Like, we're finally going to be living as who we want, living happily ever after..."

"Nah," Jessica said, shaking her head to her wife's confusion. "'Happily ever after' is what they write at the end of the story. And ours is just beginning..."

up
50 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos