Thoughts of energy-ch2 In The Basement

Printer-friendly version

Gwen

James has obviously been struggling more and more recently. I have heard a few whispers of what transpired, for him to be in such a decrepit state. The agony he suffers every single day is astounding. If our positions were reversed I probably would have ended it a long time ago. I was thinking as I took the weird metallic balls down to the basement door.

After dropping the items off for James, I headed over to collect my post. The flats had a large square box with many clear doors with a slot in for our postman to divide the flats up easier. I took out all the pink and red envelopes with a sense of dread. Then used the master key to get James mail. At least he didn't have any red envelopes but there was one marked from the hospital?.

After I had opened all my mail and viewed the large sums of money I owed the government for unpaid tax and one was even a threat of taking me to court if I didn’t pay. I made the dinner and headed up to James flat with his mail.

I knocked on the door slightly as I entered, but he was still lightly snoring on the sofa. I had to clear the table a bit as I laid down the food. I had made creamy potatoes and salmon for main then a fudge cake out of the box for desert. The smell alone managed to stir James from his slumber as I heard.

“Gwen is that you” James called out in a soft groan.

“No it's your friendly bugler who likes to cook” I replied with a hint of sarcasm.

“Young lady that is enough with that attitude or you'll go to bed with no food” James said as he walked to the table with a large grin on his face, then carried on to say “and I'll eat your food to as it smells so good”

I handed his envelopes over as we began to eat. He took a quick look and the smile that was across his face a second ago vanished as he stopped eating to open a letter. I casually watched his face as I ate and he read. I could tell it was unwelcome news but as soon as he looked back at me he started to smile once again.

“Well Gwen you have truly out done your self on this wonderful meal. Thank you” James said

“Thanks I made all of it fresh besides the pudding” I said thinking how James reminded me of my dad, no wonder they got along. Both with the same bad humour and the way they always have to complement my cooking even if it does embarrass me.

After finishing the meal I collected the dishes on a tray and I headed to my room to dispose of the tray while James headed to the basement.

I was curious as to how the door was locked but those things were beyond my grasp of comprehension. So I busied myself on the task of cleaning up until there was a thunderous bang and when I say that I mean it actually sounded like thunder going off in the building.
I ran as fast as my legs could take me to get to James and find out if he was O.K.

When I arrived James was standing there with a shocked expression on his face as a half blown up door was scorched and dangled by a single hinge.

“What the fuck” I said in equal disbelief to James expression.

“Well I didn't expect that” The scaring on his face stretched as a large smile spread on his face after his little comment and followed with a wheezed laughter.

Next to James was two mounds of metal as the balls I had brought down had melted and my skin tingled all over.
I looked through the half hanging door to see another mound of metal melted on the other side on a stand above a stair case.

“Give it seven minutes before we try walking down” James said as his expression became serious and he pulled me back.

“Why seven minutes” I asked

“Well that tingling sensation in your body is excess power all around. If we go down there and there is an object holing that power then it would be like walking under a lightning bolt” James said

“OK. So what happened?” I asked

“I'm only guessing but the device I was using and whatever was on the other side of the door reacted in such a way the build up of radiant energy destroyed all the units. But that's a guess as I only finished building them the other day and haven't had a chance to try them until now” James said in such a way he sounded confused but thought I would understand.

We waited a bit longer in silence until it was safe. Then James walked through the door opening.

James

I had just witnessed something I couldn’t understand. There were flashes of white light jumping from the door to my generators and back. Both built with intensity as I hurried back to a safer area as the door exploded and both my generators melted. I could feel painful tingling across my body as the light show went on so the voltage that was produced must have been astronomical.

I was slightly frightened but in a way happy. I had received a letter earlier that told me my body was slowly shutting down and in the next couple of weeks I would likely be dead. I was in a secret operation 17 years ago where we tried to save millions of lives from a nuclear bomb in London. Things had gone bad as the terrorist had worn an explosive vest. If the nuclear bomb was hit by the blast it would have exploded. In a split second reaction I threw myself over the bomb as the guys vest exploded. I woke up months later with 75% burns on my outside and much internal damage. I was told I probably wouldn’t last the year as my rare blood (AB neg) type stopped me getting spare organs.
One other thing that day was I was actually XXXXY so I had 49 chroma-zones which was quite surprising as most people according to the doctor, suffered when having this condition from some mental problems. I wanted to joke about I was suffering but I couldn't talk at the time.

So now I had nothing to lose anyway and this could be some big discovery. But I didn't want Gwen to get hurt so before heading down I said

“Gwen you stay here and I'll go down first. If anything happens don't come down, I'll come back up if it's safe OK”

“OK just be careful” Gwen said as her face displayed several emotions at once.

I just smiled as I forced my aching body down the stairs.
I was quite shocked at the fact the room was empty, nothing but a stool with a book on it. All the walls were bare brick and the floor was all concrete besides a large circle of brick surrounding the book.
I knew it might be some sort of trap but I walked straight up to the book and picked it up, but nothing. I moved the stool, there was still nothing so I proceeded to carry the book out and back up to Gwen. I was expecting a giant ball of stone to come after me of something but nothing happened, I guess watching to many films gets your mind paranoid.

“Gwen, Gwen.....” I called out as I approached the top of the stairs.

“Yes, are you OK” She asked with a voice full of concern.

“Yes, I'm fine but there was nothing besides this book and a stool down there” I said as I waved the book.

“Well do you want to read the book in my apartments?” Gwen asked with a bit of confusion.

“Yes, closer the better. My body feels a bit weary but my mind is worse” I said as I had trouble understanding all this and a constant burning in my joints wasn’t helping.

After arriving at we sat down and read the leather bound book. Wow some of the inventions in there were mind boggling. It had been one of Nikola Tesla's journals and his inventions and instructions for how to use. There was also building plans for some of the ideas and wow if we had them now. He had designed machines that run off dark matter.

I felt like the I was a Neanderthal reading the specifications to building a plane. But these were more than designs as the last invention stated how he had used it and test subjects who had been 60-80 years old and returning to 11-15 with an improved mind and healing. One was said to have even changed genders.

After reading the final entry I looked up into Gwen s eyes who had been reading along side me. He knew Gwen and had given us instructions? How in the world is that possible. I knew he said time machine but I thought it was some sort of delusion. Gwen interrupted me from my thoughts saying

“I know the last one”

“What?” I dumbly replied

“Well my Mum and Dad used to sing to me from an old leather book about a knight arriving to rescue a damsel” Gwen said as she quickly got up and ran to a book shelf.

Once Gwen returned we looked at the book. Once you looked hard enough you could sea a slight outline on the back cover of the book. Gwen ran her nail over the paper a few times to reveal an object underneath. She then used her nail to break the paper and pulled out a small metal object.

It was a light and dark silver pattern with a button on the top and a hole at the base. I would presume it to be some sort of triangle with a hole in the centre.

“Well Gwen if the Power is related with that old magnetic generator you have then the first two items are here but what about the third?” I said as the old generator seemed to be the most likely area referring to power in the building.

“Oh ye I never thought of the generator. But I can look on the net for the ashes” Gwen said full of energy as she jumped up off the chair and ran out.
I slowly followed her as I guessed where she might be headed.

Once I arrived at the generator room Gwen was stood there looking confused.

“There's no off switch” Gwen said in a sad little girls voice, I almost laughed at her immaturity.

“Well this is run by five magnets all the way around the main wheel, so if we take them out then it will stop” I said as Gwen jumped forwards to a small tube in the side of the generator.

Slowly and what looked like great difficulty she removed five slightly rounded lengths of magnets from their slots.

After about 10minutes the generator had stopped. Gwen looked all over the magnetic propulsion part but found nothing. I slowly made my way over to the actual generator and took a closer look at the cogs. In the main cog there was three areas of detail which looked like three of our found piece from the book. I gave each one a shove but only the second one moved slightly.

After half an hour of effort we finally prized it free. Gwen squealed with joy as I just shook my head she said

“What....?”

“You” I said with a grin

“What about me?Hmmm...” Gwen said looking as though I had insulted her.

“Nothing much just your immaturity” I said as she lightly slapped my arm.

“Well women get to express their emotions immaturely. It's better than being a grumpy man who can't show emotion” Gwen said as she pulled a tong at me.

I slapped my forhead as a said back to her “Gwen remember to put those magnets back or no one will have power” I slowly walked away to Gwen s mumbling in the background.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos