Riding Home 38

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 38
I have already said that no matter how careful one plans and prepares, there is always that collection of ‘little things’ that make themselves known right at the last minute, and in this case it was courtesy of Stewie. His old Roller, the wedding present that he and Sally were lending us for the day, along with a couple of other cars, had a visit from the Faery Folk en route to our house.

For those who are unaware of the particular faeries in question, they have sharp teeth and claws and like the taste of bicycle tyres. They can be attracted by the reckless use of the ‘P’ word, the one that rhymes with ‘juncture’, and placating them allegedly involves dancing naked, widdershins around a willow tree. Stewie had obviously used That Word injudiciously, and when he turned up I had to find some hand cleanser and a spare shirt from Eric’s wardrobe, and iron it, and…last minute things.

I had, in the end, six bridesmaids, in Merry, Steph, Sarah, Leah, Kelly and Vanny. They were all in ivory dresses on hire from the shop, with matching satin shoes, and as I mentally added the cost of actually purchasing the lot I had to shudder. Jan had done her bit on my face, Naomi had run a practised eye over my cap and veil before washing her face, and all was ready to go well before the tyre went down. I gave Simon a quick call to explain the delay, and he laughed.

“There is entertainment for the restless, Annie! Listen!”

There, in the background, tinny over the phone, was singing, and I knew who that was. My family there, to make me proud.

Eventually, on that Indian Summer September day, I arrived at St Nick’s, and Stewie handed me out of the car as Albert was helped by two of the girls before settling himself onto his walking stick. He looked at me, and smiled.

“I promised I would be here for you, Annie. Shall we go in?”

He dropped my veil as Kate gave my free hand a squeeze, and I settled my right arm into the crook of Albert’s left. Preceded by six teenagers and followed by six adults, with Kate on my left, we entered St Nick’s, but not to the obligatory Mendelssohn.

There they were, Tom, Twmi, Arthur, John, James, Arwel and Hywel, in front of them Sioned and Aunty Esther, and I entered to the sound of Cwm Rhondda rather than the Bridal March. The volume was impressive, as was the power, but it was the harmony that clutched at my heart. This was a day all about harmonies, about joining the different and complementary as one. My Aunt wiped tears away as we passed, but her singing never faltered. Concentrate, Annie.

The place was full, and as I proceeded down the aisle I slipped smiles to left and right, to a crowd from Dover and others from Fishguard and Oxford, coppers, Customs Officers, cyclists, doctors and shrinks, a swarm of Raj satellites, they were all there, and at the front, backs to me, Simon smiling beyond them, were two figures in morning suits, one with a shock of scarlet hair. Albert led me to the shorter of the two, lifted my veil and took his seat by Naomi, Kirsty and an encumbered Den as Kate joined my hand with Eric’s.

His palm was sweaty, but then so was mine. This was it. No rehearsal, no walk-through, but the seal to everything. My man. My saviour, despite what Simon and Merry might protest, and that smile, that was mine, that was for me.

Simon went through his ritual, but it was clear that to him the words were special, and for us, not just a job of work.

“The rings…”

Our best girls produced them on cue, and they went on, and we said words, and I meant them as I had rarely meant anything before, and I knew that Eric felt the same. This was reality, this wasn’t hiding in a cubicle in the ladies’ wondering what I was, who I was trying to fool. They were all here, and even bloody Costello wasn’t fooled, because they all knew what I was, and it was woman, bride…wife.

“You may kiss the bride”

Our portable choir started up with Myfanwy as he did, and then we were outside, and a certain pro photographer was doing his job with a grin and a lot of lewdness, which brought the smiles and laughs that made his pictures even more special than they would otherwise have been, Ali and Jim joined hand to hand as closely as Shan and Darren, and it was laughter and kisses, flower-throwing and posing, until Simon intervened and led the way to the Hall, where Jerry had organised some of his youth crowd as waiters and waitresses for our reception.

“This is going to be like an episode of the Two Ronnies, both of us up here together”

“Yeah! We can haz best wimmin’s speech! And that ain’t true, cause we ain’t the best women here, she’s sat over there with the skinny bloke with the grin, yeah?”

“Slow down, dearest, or I shall have to adjust the dosage again. Well, it is customary to do some character assassination on the happy couple, but we are a bit stuck with that one. Annie is a lesson to us all, someone so determined to be true to her self and to her soul, true to values we should all admire, that we nearly lost her before we had a chance to meet her in person”

“Yeah, and a bloke that could look past prejudice and the outside, and read the person within. I think he’s made her happy, fuck it–sorry, I know he’s made her happy, but then she has done so much to make other people happy, or safe, or sane. My girly here is a doc, yeah, but these two are healers, and apart from being carnivorous, we can’t do no assassination of their characters”

“Indeed, my love. So, all we will do is the other traditional bit. Please raise your glasses, ladies and gentlemen: the bride and groom, Eric and Annie Johnson!”

And there was more music, singing of course, and dancing, and as the formalities turned into festivities, I took a breather from the floor to reflect on how the people around me had picked me up and set me on this route. Eric was behind me, his arms wrapped around just below my breasts, and the world was almost perfect. Sarah was doing her usual getting down, Kirsty and Arris with her, as the music pounded and the laughter roared, and later, as the slow ones were played, I shuffled round the floor in that uncoordinated ‘dance’ that is simply an excuse to wrap oneself with a partner as closely as decency permits in public.

Four months later, we stood on a cold and windswept plateau in France. Albert had done his research. He had called me in after the honeymoon, with a bundle of printouts and notes.

“We have a couple of relatives, Annie my dear. Turns out Darren had a twice great uncle, his great grandfather’s younger brother, who was in Number 4 Commando on Sword Beach”

“From your tone, I take it he stayed there?”

“Yes. It was on the way to relieve Sixth Airborne at Pegasus. When you landed at Ouistreham, Darren was following his uncle’s route. The poor chap is in Ranville now. As for Chantelle, I had rather a surprise there. Her great grandmother had a younger sister, Mavis, no issue as far as I can tell. She married a refugee Pole name of Mateusz Dabrowski. Unfortunately, I know where he is, too”

“So nothing of good news, aye?”

Albert dipped his head for an instant, then looked up. “Annie, this IS good news, and I know what it will mean to our boy, and to the young lady. They can now see that their ancestry, or at least their kin, were capable of great deeds. That they are not worthless by gene and history, yes?”

He was, of course, absolutely right, as Darren proved before the grave of William Eyres, Corporal, No 4 Commando, born third of June, 1920; killed by enemy action on the eighth of June, 1944. The lad cried as he laid the wreath of poppies we had carried from the UK for that purpose, and then huddled against me, against the wind and the weight of history.

Two days later we were at Falaise, where the 1st Polish Armoured Division’s Eagle stoops above the graves of the men who put the cork in the bottle that broke the German army in France, just as the Germans had broken Poland. Chantelle was crying in great sobs, but she laid her own wreath, and we signed the visitors’ book in the little shelter as she clung to her boy’s hand.

Eric led her back to the car to clean up, as the wind whistled past us and Darren leant against me once more. His voice was very, very quiet.

“Thank you. You showed us we ain’t shit, that we have real people in our families, yeah. Thank you”

He paused.

“I love you, Mum”

up
134 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You showed us we ain't shit

could almost be a second title for this whole story. Thanks so much.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Fixed link

Falaise 1st PAD graves
http://battlefieldstour.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_0054...

For those who may not be well-read in history, the Normandy battle culminated in a breakout by the Americans under Patton, and a great right hook around the German left flamk. This was helped by the fact that the bulk of the German armour was tied down in an awful battle, almost WWI in ferocity and horror, by the British and Canadians at Caen, where casualties were dreadful. When they broke out there, the Germans, largely due to Hitler's...alternative approach to strategy, attacked West, to find themselves in a pocket with an opening near the town of Falaise. The unit that was largely responsible for closing the Falaise Pocket was the First Polish Armoured Division, who inflicted and suffered heavy casualties in the process, while that Allied air forces slaughtered great numbers of the Wehrmacht.
I always found it fitting that soldiers of the country first attacked by Hitler in open warfare should be largely responsible for the end of his regime by starting the collapse of his armies in France. May they all rest in peace. May it never happen again.

Damn you had to make me cry,

Damn you had to make me cry, thanks for sharing this story.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Claps

This was very good. I really love this story and have been followin it from the start I'm really glad I decided to give the first chapter a read when ya posted it I have laughed(many many times mainly at ginny) and cried a few tears in this story. I have to say my fav char would have to be ginny she is so hyper and so sweet an caring that ya can't help but like her same with annie she is sweet an loving an caring.

Riding Home 38

Nothing like knowing your ancestry.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What do you say, dear sweet Alison?

Andrea Lena's picture

...that was the nicest wedding we've been to in quite some time, and I don't think we've cried that hard in a month of
Sundays, aye? Well, yes...maybe since last Sunday? Yesterday? Simple beautiful! Thank you, Stephanie!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Good chapter Steph.

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

It's good the kids have learned there are 'good genes' in their blood and it's even more important that they have seen the graves.

For most soldiers and airmen there's usually a specific place to go, a place of rememberence, a private place of reflection.

We sailors have to necessarily have a different perspective but fortunately, the years spent on lonely oceans and stormy seas enable that perspective. 'Nearer my god to thee' are words more poignant than most to a mariner even if that mariner is a total atheist like me.

Nice chapter Steph and I loved the wedding service.

XZXX.

Bev.

P.S.

Without encumbering you with any sense of burden or obligation, I'm thinking this story might be coming to it's finale. Dare I ask if there's a sequel or shall I shut up and mind my own business. In any event, might I suggest you take a break to recharge after 'Riding home' is finished.

Hugs.

XZXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Wedding, and “I love you, Mum”

Wow. the wedding was as good as I could have hoped for, and Darren? What a great young man. Who could ask for more for Annie?

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

As usual

ALISON

' our Andrea is so right,a lovely wedding for our Annie and the tears are still flowing,
not just for Annie and Eric but for the kids finding that they had a background to be
proud of,a beautiful story Steph.You are such a special person,of great humanity and
style.It is a pleasure to read your stories.Thank you.

ALISON

Riding Home

That was the end of Annie's ride, as far as I intended to write it. Very simply, I cannot think of a better line than that to end such a story.

I was once more trying to explore a couple of concepts, the main one being that of self-worth, self-loathing even. I also usually have a safety net in my stories, that of love, friendship, family, because I do believe that they are the things that make us human and keep us sane. Many of the characters were drawn from good friends, particularly Ginny and Kate, whose originals are aware of my 'homage' to the loveliest Sapphic pairing I have ever known.

So: redemption, and love, and redemption, healing, through love, and the idea that the physician cannot always heal themself.

In a surprise twist, real life followed my story, as a couple of VERY senior coppers (one the Chief Constable) were arrested for corruption in Cleveland, which is a county not far from where Dennis worked and lived.

Edited to add: I have just come off the phone to one of my staff, whose former partner committed suicide this evening. That is what I mean about self-worth. Whatever life has thrown at me, others have it worse. That is something we all need to remember.

Thank You

again. reminding us of the worth of each and every one of us, no matter what happens to us.

And I didn't realize it until the very end, but this was really Darren and Chantelle's story wasn't it?

Janice

Darren

I do have a habit od letting a 'minor' character sneak out into centre stage. It is why 'Cold Feet' was actually Alice's story, even if it took my Dear Stalker to spot the mistake right at the start where I nearly wrote her out.

It's just a quirk of mine; I write in first person to allow myself easy emotional expression, but with the ability to tell a story in third person, effectively.

Dear Stalker

A public comment to you: 'stalker' is, of course, meant in the nicest possible way and you are, of course, correct. The DS bit was a dreadful pun based on your powers of observation. Thank you again.

Sigh!

joannebarbarella's picture

I knew it would end of course. All good things do. Steph, if you didn't know I loved it then you're much thicker than I think you are!

Here's waiting for your next,

Joanne

And thank you

I am away for a week now to recharge while riding through a national park and sleeping in my nice little tent.

I am a voracious reader

I am a voracious reader books, magazines, newspaper, (cereal boxes). But this I can honestly say is one of the best pieces of fiction I have ever read. Not just on this site, I mean ever read period. It hit a lot of points personally and pulled my emotions about from happy to despair. The underlying themes of redemption, caring for others, and love highlight a great work. My hat is off to you Stephanie I will come back to visit old friends periodically but for now I say thank you.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Thank you

In the end, so much of it wrote itself.

I am going through the Sussex stories again

The series is as good now as it was a few years ago. One advantage of reading again is that it allows one to leave Kudos where they were missed on the first time through.

Still well done.

Much Love,

Valerie R