SRU-The Ghost of Rhule Manor- Rewrite

Printer-friendly version

Spells R US- The Ghost of Rhule Manor

By Alexander Kung

Can a spirit convince someone the value of life? After a bad string of bad luck, Jackson Browne felt he had nothing to live for. As he prepared to end his life, a chance encounter with the Spells r’ Us Wizard forces him to postpone. Will it be enough?

The Ghost of Rhule Manor

It was a cold and unforgiving night in February as the pure white snow tumbled from the dark sky. It was an eerily beautiful night St Valentines Eve, the kind of night when people cuddle in a warm bed making passionate love all night.

Jackson Browne laughed bitterly at the thought as he walked down the road carrying a frayed old duffle bag. Someone like him was pretty much undeserving of love.
At just 25 years old, he had had enough of life crapping all over him. In the past year it had seemed as if his whole world had been torn apart. Due to the bad economy, he was laid off from his well paying construction job. His beautiful fiancé coldly left him for his now ex best friend and to twist the knife even deeper, she was pregnant by the said ex best friend.. Sadly it wasn’t long before his home was foreclosed on, leaving him out on the streets.

It had been 3 months he had been homeless, taking what little pay by day work he could get to get by. It wasn’t living, it was surviving and it was getting harder and harder as the days passed by.

“I don’t know what I ever did to have the universe hate me so much” Jackson sighed sadly “I tried to do everything right, I really did.”

As he crossed the Jefferson Street Bridge, he decided that tonight he’d just end it. He couldn’t keep living like this. Better to just end it all now and get it over with
“Nobody will miss me” he said trying not to cry as he stepped over the rail, looking at the ice cold water below.

He chuckled bitterly as he doubted that his death probably would barely be mentioned on the local news. As he loosened his grip on the railing, he closed his eyes as he prepared to jump….

“Not so fast there” said a gruff voice as Jackson felt himself pulled to safety and landing on the hard cement walkway with a thud. Looking up he saw a peculiar looking man in a bathrobe and bunny slippers. He had almost jolly Santa Claus look to him; however at the moment there was a look of stern disappointment on his face.

“Who are you old man?” Jackson asked in irritation “How do you know my name?”

“I’m just someone enjoying his nightly walk. My little shop can be quite stuffy at times” smiled the old man with a mischievous glint in his eye “As for your other question… I know a lot about you, Jackson Browne”

“Oh Yeah? How do you know that?” snorted Jackson

“I’m a wizard” smiled the old man “I know quite a bit”

“Well, Merlin” scoffed Jackson as he started to go back over the railing “I didn’t ask for your help, so just go away and let me die in peace.”

“So you would just toss away the most precious of gifts because life didn’t turn out the way you wanted eh?” said the wizard coming closer to the rail “Humph, I see it as such a waste”

“You don’t know what’s going on.” sobbed Jackson “I have nothing…absolutely nothing to live for”

“I know you’ve been through a lot son” said the wizard “But things will get better I promise. Just please come back over the rail”

Jackson wiped the tears from his eyes as he slowly came back over the rail, much to the older man’s relief. In a kind gentle grandfatherly way, he rested his hand on the young man shoulders and gave it a gentle comforting squeeze.

“How would you like a job?” said the wizard” I have an old property that needs to be renovated. Perhaps you’d be interested?”

“If you would have asked 3 months ago” Jackson said softly “I would have jumped at the bid but I don’t have a work crew. I don’t even have the company or tools”

“The tools and living area are supplied” said the old man “Now do you want the job or don’t?”

“What’s the catch?” Jackson said suspiciously

“Only that you work hard and never think of this foolishness of taking your own life” said the old man kindly handing him a card and key. “When you’re done, come here for payment”

Nodding his head he took the key pausing to quickly look at it. It was an older key like what you’d see in the classic movies.

“Where is this place located?” Jackson asked

“Rhule Manor” said the old man with a sly smile

Rhule Manor? That abandoned mansion on the far side of town? Everybody knew that place. It was the town’s haunted mansion that everyone stayed clear of. Even the bravest squatters wouldn’t go near the place. They knew better.

But other choice did he have tonight? Sleep under a bridge in this cold ass weather, listen to 2 hours of fire and brimstone for a spot in a crowded shelter or spend the night in a so called haunted house. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, he silently agreed

“Hey old man…” Jackson trailed off as the old man was nowhere to be seen

“What the hell?” thought Jackson walked in the direction of Rhule manor “What do I have to lose?”

It was a long and tiring walk until he reached the very outskirts of town, and made it to heavy iron gates of Rhule Manor. Creepy didn’t even begin to describe the place. It may have been beautiful once but the place had seen better days.

Punching the key code, he opened the gate with a loud creek. As the gate slammed shut behind him, he felt a strange feeling of foreboding as he walked past the twin cracked art deco angel statues and the overgrown leafless gnarled looking trees that lined the dark driveway.

Everyone in town had heard the stories, that Rhule Manor was haunted by an evil vengeful spirit that killed anyone that ways stupid enough to trespass here. But that was just silly superstation right?

“There’s no such thing as ghosts” thought Jackson as he pressed on

As he made his way toward to the end of the driveway he noticed something very unsettling. The mansion as he saw it was almost completed on the outside. If anything the roof needed work but it wasn’t that bad. However I had looked as if the previous construction company ran off in hurry leaving most of the supplies and tools behind
~O~

Lindsay Rhule floated in the dark hallways of the place she called home for the past 60 or so years, Rhule Manor. It was a lonely existence aside from the occasional trespassing idiots from the local high school football team. She smiled gleefully a bit as remembered last Halloween. She had literally made one large burly boy piss his pants before jumping out the second floor window in fear.

“Such a big scaredy cats” she thought with a sly smile “Humph serves them right”

All she did was just start moaning “Go Away” and slam a few cabinet doors loudly.

Then this construction crew arrived last month. At first she didn’t mind them so much as they worked on the outside but then they moved inside and starting rifling through her things. The last straw was spotting one dishonest construction worker trying to steal her diamond rings and necklace.

“That was a large mistake!” she thought as she made him and the other construction workers pay dearly

She broke mirrors, slammed doors right off the hinges, set the construction truck on fire and for the coup de grace, lifted the foreman off the ground and slammed him into the stairs.

That was enough for the entire crew to run screaming off the property, never to return. As run down as the place was it was her home, her sanctuary, and she didn’t take kindly to trespassers or thieves in it. These little worldly trinkets were all that she had left.

However, trespassers aside, most of the time she spent her long days and nights alone in deep reflection of her life and the way she had ended it. It was a familiar story, a broken heart leading into being despondent for weeks before finally taking her life. Now a lost spirit unable to move on, she endlessly wandered the dilapidated and decrepit mansion, using the endless time to rethink the choices she made in her short life.

She was once a very famous Hollywood starlet back in the 1940’s but sadly as was the case with most stars of that era, her time came and went very quickly. As her career started to wind down, she finally accepted a marriage proposal from her long time off and on again boyfriend, the dashing actor Hugh Stewart.

He was a handsome and charming man who said all the right things and made her feel so beautiful. He was everything she ever wanted in a man… or so she thought…
Thinking he was the one who could truly understand and love her, she revealed her deepest darkest secret to him in the hopes he’d love her regardless. His response wasn’t what she expected it would be… not even close. His response was one of shock and disbelief. Slapping her across the face her across the face and wiping his mouth in disgust he left without looking back.

In the week that followed, she realized what a grave mistake she had made and found out just how much pull Hugh had in the picture business. As she expected, the engagement was off. But Hugh didn’t stop there, oh no, he made sure that her career was tarnished by getting her blackballed from any studio work in Hollywood. While her secret was safe, her reputation was tarnished by Hugh reporting her to the House Committee of Un-American Activities and labeling her a red commie sympathizer.
It wasn’t long before her so called Hollywood friends dropped her like a hot potato. Has-beens were not worth their time, especially a commie has-been

Her career was over; her so called friends had abandoned her, her reputation was shot to hell and any hope at a normal chance at love gone. It was all too much for someone like her, a naive 20 year old actress to take.

After a week in a depression, she took a whole bottle of sleeping pills. Looking back she kind of wished didn’t because it was such a painful way to go. The papers said she suffered for 5 days before she went.

Hugh was reported to be very distraught over her death. Perhaps out of guilt or more likely just taking advantage of the media hoopla, he played the part of the grieving ex boyfriend to the T. He was recorded to have said that he never believed the vicious untrue rumors of Lindsay. He said that she was a steadfast patriotic American and that while their whirlwind romance had soured, he had always loved her.

“Like hell he did!” she thought bitterly as a nearby window started to crack “The fucking bastard!”

As she floated across the entry way she heard the front door unlock and creak open. As a hand reached in and hit a switch on the side of door, the entry way was bathed in light for the first time in decades.

Even though she didn’t need to, she hid behind one of the large pillars as she paused to look at the intruder that had the audacity to just come barging into her home. She didn’t care much for trespassers and she hated thieves.

She noticed that he was a colored boy with scruffy beard, clad in dirty and muddy clothing, carrying a small rucksack over his shoulder. He didn’t seem like a burglar and strangely he had a key. Still he was treading on her sanctuary and she didn’t like it.

“Just great” she thought “Another damn squatter”

~O~
Jackson couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Yeah it was bits run down and dusty but from his construction background he knew the place had tons of potential. It wasn’t a cold museum like sprawling Manson but more of a cozy warm home. For a haunted house it seemed quite inviting.
“WOW” he said impressed at the dust covered art deco furniture wondering why it hadn’t been stolen

A small glimmer caught his eye as he opened a nearby collections case. It was caked with dust and if you weren’t looking for it one would assume it was just a ratty old cabinet. Wiping the dust away from the glass he couldn’t believe his eyes.

“No way can this be real.” he said aloud “Faberge eggs?!”

Lindsay seethed as he took one out of the case studying it intensely. Of course, he was another lowlife thief intent on robbing her sanctuary blind. As she slowly grabbed a small statue from a nearby table to throw at him, he surprised her by gently blowing off the dust and putting it back sighing sadly.

Jackson was no fool, He knew that that egg was worth whole lot but money wasn’t going to solve the problems he had tonight

Walking up the stairs he hoped the house had some hot water, he could really use a shower. Maybe it would make him feel better but honestly he doubted it.

Curious, she floated after him wondering what he was up to. As he laid out his things on the bed in the master bedroom and took a shower, he felt like he was being watched. Other than the occasional cold chill which he dismissed as a draft from the windows, he convinced himself it was an over active imagination

A slight modesty forbade her from peeking in on him; she did consider herself a lady after all. However his things were another mater and completely fair game. He didn’t have much other than a change of clothes, a stack of resumes, some food and a strange little machine with numbers on it.

As he came out of the bathroom she hid again even though she really didn’t need to since he couldn’t see her anyway but it was an old habit. She had never really looked at colored men during her life; such a thing just wasn’t allowed in her day. However she had to admit that he cleaned up quite nicely... very nicely. In fact he was an absolute drooly

She smiled as she took in the view liking what she saw. He was ruggedly handsome; His black hair cut short almost bald, arched yet masculine eyebrows and a chiseled jaw that was now freshly shaved. He had changed into a t-shirt and sweats but she could tell he was quite beefy as if he did a lot of manual labor and heavy lifting. She also noticed, kind of unnerving really, he had the saddest looking light baby brown eyes she had ever seen.

“Sorry old man” sighed Jackson as he picked up his phone “but I don’t think I can keep that promise. It’ll just be better if I just end it tonight”
Her eyes widened as she couldn’t believe what she was hearing, did he say what she had thought he said? Was he going to kill himself? Here?

“Like hell you are”

~O~
Hitting the voice mail on his now disconnected cell phone, he heard his now ex-fiancé’s last message to him

“*beep* Jackson honey, it’s not going to work out between us. You’re always working and leaving me alone, so while you were at work, I found someone new. I think you know him; he’s your best friend Daniel. Oh yeah, one more thing, I’m pregnant and it’s his. Sorry I had to break this to you like this but hey that’s life, right? See ya never! *beep*

As he played the message over and over, the sadness and depression overwhelmed him, using a bit of bed sheet he fashioned a crude noose attaching it to the banister on the second floor. He hoped it would hurt too much. As he jumped, the ghost girl made sure the sheet ripped, sending him crashing to the bottom floor with a loud thud.

“Stupid Idiot!” yelled Lindsay as Jackson groaned and fell unconscious

The next morning, he groaned in slight pain as he woke up on dusty floor of the mansion bruised but otherwise okay. Getting up he shuffled into the kitchen that was half done and opened the fridge which was surprisingly well stocked.

Lindsay floated after him curiously watching him as he ate alone nibbling at his food. There was a was sadness about him that she could just feel coming off in waves though he tried to cover it up as macho guys seem to always do. Still he was doing a poor job of it

After he finished his breakfast he dressed into some jeans and an over shirt. He then went outside where there were tools and supplies under a snow covered tarp waiting for him. Throwing himself into his work, he started on the downstairs entry way.

Lindsay had to smile as she watched him. He was so driven and intense. In a mere 7 hours he had the walls perfectly dry walled and the floor was repaired with dark oak flooring. Floating nearby she had to admit she was impressed.

Not only was he fixing up the place but it seemed he was taking great care not to change anything. It looked just like it did when she first bought the place all those years ago.

“Whoa that’s weird” he said aloud as he felt a slight chill as she floated past

It felt as if he was being watched but that was impossible, there was no such thing as ghost or haunted houses.

“This is just my imagination” thought Jackson as he dusted off an old RCA phonograph

Lindsay looked on as he cleaned off her prized record player, not quite sure if she liked him touching it or not. She decided since he did such a good job she wouldn’t get upset at him too much.

“Besides” she thought “It wasn’t like the thing worked anymore”

Taking a pair of wire cutters Jackson snipped off the frayed and broken cloth covered power cord much to Lindsay’s displeasure. As he pulled off the back of the machine, she looked around for something to brain him over the head with.

“There all fixed” said Jackson almost proudly

As she hovered over him with a large vase she stopped as she noticed that he had replaced the cord with a modern looking one. Quickly setting the vase back down she floated over, curious as to what he was up to.

If she was alive Lindsay would be turning bright red in embarrassment as Jackson played the first record he grabbed. As the set the needle down, the soft into to the song “Stormy Weather” played for the first time in many years. It was her rendition of it.

“Ugh, I hated the way they made me sing that” she thought “Humph, sultry and sexy indeed! I sound like a complete idiot”

As she looked over to Jackson who was now busy painting the newly repaired walls, she noticed he was humming along

“Wow, she sounds so beautiful” he said aloud with a rare soft smile

The ghost girl covered her face with her hands and floated away to another room fully embarrassed.

As the embarrassment passed she couldn’t help but smile bashfully. It was at that very moment she realized that she was growing quite sweet on the boy….

~O~
It had been close to a month since Jackson had started work at the manor. It was strange but she started to enjoy having him around, though she still found him a frustrating man. He was a beast of a hard worker during the day, working long 16 hour days. But at night he was still quite sad and suicidal.
Though never being able to fully make contact with the guy she found herself growing quite attached to him. His sweet demeanor, the way he smiled, his respectfulness of her property.

So it was extremely hard to watch him listen to that retched machine every night and see that wonderful smile of his turn into this mask of sadness.

“Why are you such an idiot?!” she thought in frustration

Over the past month she had foiled his attempts by making the razor blades fly out of his hands when he tried to slit his wrists, she shorted out the power when he tried to electrocute himself, switched his aspirin with vitamin b when he tried to poison himself.

As she floated over his bed gently caressing his face as he slept, she worried about what to do with him. Perhaps there was something to take his mind off of his troubles if only for a little bit.

She smiled as she whispered a small suggestion into his ear and quickly floated away as he started to wake up.

Jackson got up, showered and shaved as his did every morning and made it downstairs to get ready to work. Work kept his mind occupied off of his problems and got him through the day.

But somehow today was different. Maybe today he’d take the day off since the house was practically done anyway, probably tonight would be his last night anyway. Why not take the day off.

Walking across the hall he entered the theater room which didn’t take him long to get into working order. Finding an old 35 millimeter film reel, he loaded it into the projector and got comfortable on the newly refinished sofa.

The movie was an average noir mystery with Hugh Stewart as the hard boiled private dick and Lindsay Rhule as the beautiful femme fatale.

“Ugh of all the movies why did you have to play that one?” thought Lindsay “It had to be the one with Hugh didn’t it?”

Jackson noticed that every time Lindsay was on the screen he couldn’t take his eyes off of her. Sure he had heard the stories of the manor belonging to a 1940’s movie star but he didn’t know that she looked like this.

He couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she was. She was the epitome of the elegant starlets of a bygone era. She had beautiful green eyes, soft peaches and cream skin, full cheekbones, sultry eyebrows and radiant wavy shoulder length reddish blonde hair styled in a peek a boo.

His jaw dropped as she started to sing “Am I blue” in a form fitting black dress which was probably risqué at the time. It wasn’t just how good her sultry and husky sounding voice was. But also by the way she swayed sexily to the song as if she was making love to the whole audience as she caressed the ribbon microphone.

Lindsay let go a sad sigh. It wasn’t long after making the movie that she had her falling out with Hugh. She could still feel the sting of his slap and horrible sound of him retching in disgust. Fighting back tears she could still remember him vowing to ruin her.

“And he did” she thought as her lip trembled

Floating away she went to the den where she could cry in private. Even after all the years it still hurt so much. She doubted that even Jackson wouldn’t find her attractive if he knew.

Curling up into a ball, she started to sob, hating herself for everything that had happened.
~O~
It was late when a familiar sound cut through the silence of the manor. One that Lindsay had come to despise hearing.

“*beep* Jackson honey, it’s not going to work out between us

“You got to be fucking kidding me” she thought getting up and floating toward the main stairway of the house.

And there he was he trying to jump off the balcony headfirst. Quickly grabbing legs, she gritted her teeth as it took just about everything she had to keep him from landing hard on his head. But this was the final straw and she had had enough. Tonight she was fully intending on teaching him a hard lesson.

Floating the ground softly, Jackson sat up in confusion he felt an unseen force grab his ankles and proceed to drag him across the floor. The unseen force made sure to slam him into the walls, while dragging him through the entry way, down a small flight of steps, through the kitchen and finally chucking him into a den.
The doors behind him locked as he was slammed hard into a nearby wall. As groaned and got to his feet, various small items in the room started flying at him. It wasn’t enough to do any permanent damage but enough to sting like hell.

“What the hell?” He gasped as he tried to protect himself from the flying projectiles “Stop!”

It was at that moment when an old grandfather clock started chiming, signaling that it was midnight. As the clock gonged, Jackson’s eyes widened as a strange fuzzy shape started to form in front of him. He had to rub them a few times as he could not believe what he was seeing.

As each time the bell tolled it started to get take shape a bit more and more until the final toll when the shape formed into an elegant and beautiful looking woman. However at the moment she wasn’t looking the least bit happy. In fact she looked pretty pissed standing on a nearby table and holding a vase over her head.

“Are you a fucking nut?!?!” Lindsay screamed at him while trying to crown him with a old vase “Why would you even think that killing your self is a keen idea at all, much less diving off the top floor!?! I should brain you…. You dummy!”

“Uh……Who” said Jackson about ready to lose control of his bladder “What the hell are you?”

“I’m a ghost” she said seductively floating closer “BOO!”

Normally her presence would scare normal people. Maybe it was just shock but Jackson was more confused than scared. Quickly taking the vase from her and setting it down on a nearby table. He rubbed his eyes again, not believing what he was seeing

He couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she was, just like that girl in the movie. Wearing the same evening dress with elbow length gloves and of course her hair styled in her trademark peek a boo. She was elegant, sexy, and humorously tiny. She couldn’t be more than 4’11 if that which made her angry face somewhat cute.

Still despite all of that, she was a ghost and that really made him uneasy. As he walked backward to the door, He didn’t take his eyes off of the strange floating girl. He watched enough horror movies about vengeful spirits and he wanted no part of this.

“Um, look I’m sorry for disturbing your rest or whatever but I think I’m just going to go” Jackson said as he jiggled the locked door.

She tilted her head in amusement a bit before floating closer to him, smiling softly. She had to giggle as he stiffened up in fear a bit.

“You’re a gas, you know that?” she giggled in a sexy voice “You’ve been trying to bump yourself off for close to a month but now you’re just scared of little ol me? Don’t worry I won’t bite you…not much anyway”

“What do you want?” Jackson said a bit more calmly but still very uncomfortable with the situation

“Well, to be quite honest I’m a bit lonely” she said batting her eyes at him “And since you can see me, which must mean that tonight is the Spring Equinox. Do you know what happens tonight?”

“You can balance eggs on end?”

“Very cute, but no” she said with a playful glare “What it means that a ghost can become flesh on these rare days. For a little bit anyway.

“Um that’s very nice” Jackson said “I think I’m going to leave now. Have a nice equinox”

“I’m afraid I can’t allow that!”

“What?!?” said Jackson in utter shock trying to open the door but it wouldn’t give “You can’t keep me here! ”

“I can and I will” she smiled crossing her arms “When I’m a bit more bit more confident you won’t do yourself in, I’ll let you go. Until then you stay here”

“You have no right” Jackson growled “it’s my life and if I want to end it. I will”

“I have every right; you see this is MY house. I don’t appreciate you trespassing or trying to kill yourself in it” she glared right back at him “Let me tell you a little secret about suicide, it’s the fucking pits! Now take a seat!”

“I’m fine!” said Jackson defiantly

“I SAID TAKE A FUCKING SEAT!” she yelled echoing through the room as windows vibrated

Jackson quickly took a seat at a nearby chess table. As he sat down he pulled his phone out of his pocket and accidently hit the voice mail. Lindsay cocked a curious eyebrow as the last voice mail cut through the awkward silence

“*beep* Jackson honey, it’s not going to work out between us. You’re always working so while you were at work, I found someone new. I think you know him; he’s your best friend Daniel….”

As Lindsay heart dropped a bit in empathy as she saw Jackson’s face kind of delve a bit deeper into sadness. It was that same message he listened to every night. Without a second thought, she grabbed the machine and chucked it against the wall with all her might, smashing it into pieces.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t usually flip my lid like this” said Lindsay demurely as Jackson looked on speechless “But sweetie, you don’t need to keep listening to that. I’ve seen what it has done to you.

Walking gracefully over to the other side of the chess table she sat down crossing her long sexy legs. Jackson found despite his the fact that she was a ghost he couldn’t take her eyes off of her.

“I shouldn’t be so cross with you” she said brushing a stray hair behind her ear” I guess I’m a terrible hostess. The name is Lindsay. Lindsay Rhule. So what is your name, handsome?

“Jackson. Jackson Browne” he said kind of shyly embarrassed that she called him handsome “So you’re the ghost that haunts this place? What are you going to do with me?
“Do you play chess?” she asked sweetly as she removed her gloves

“I dabble” Jackson said softly

“How about a friendly game then” she said setting up the chess board “Lets wager….”

“Let me guess my everlasting soul right?” scoffed Jackson

“I’m a ghost, you stupid dolt” she said not amused “I’m not Ol' Scratch, I don’t deal in souls.. But since you want to be a smartass, how about we wager your life”
“My life?” he asked in confusion

“Yes, your life” she said with an eerie smile “We play a game of chess. If you win I let you go and you can go kill yourself if that what you really want to do. But if I win you have to promise that you will never think of doing that again and ……

“and what?” said Jackson

“As I said before, I’m lonely” she said in almost whisper “So if I win, you keep me company till sunrise”

~O~

“Well?“ she asked resting her chin on her well manicured fingers

“Don’t rush me I’m thinking” said Jackson looking intently at the chessboard
Man was she good, in less than ten minutes she had taken most of his pieces and saw though his feints, undermining his whole strategy .

“Tick Tock” she teased

“Fine” he said in frustration “Knight takes Bishop”

She smiled devilishly as she moved a single piece into place

“Checkmate! I win” she said with a smug look “Now are you going to be a man and keep your word?”

“Yeah” sighed Jackson in defeat “I promise”

“I’m glad” she smiled as she reset the board “Now I don’t have to keep stopping you anymore”

“That was you?”

“Of course it was silly. It was almost a full time job” she smiled “Now if I should be so bold as to ask, why would you want to kill yourself anyway?”

“It’s a long pathetic story” said Jackson shamefully

“You know? There’s one thing a ghost has…” said Lindsay sadly while gently stroking his hand “and that is plenty of time, so tell me. Please?”

I don’t know even where to start” said Jackson blushing

The beginning is a good place” she smiled

“Well I was raised that if you worked hard, did right by others and maybe you get what you want” said Jackson

“Things rarely work out that way” said Lindsay

“Tell me about it” said Jackson “I had had everything I wanted and then it all went to shit”

“The girl on the machine?”

“Yeah that pretty much started it” said Jackson “I wanted to make sure that my wife to be would never have to want for anything so I took on extra hours and more projects. I guess I neglected her too much, driving her into the arms of another man.

“That’s bullshit!“ she said as she poured herself and Jackson a glass of wine “You had to earn a living right?”

“I guess “said Jackson “Anyhoo, I got the dear john message that you heard and soon after my life spiraled out of control. I couldn’t concentrate on work and ended up getting laid off, without a job I soon lost my home. So I have nothing and nothing to really live for.

“You really define yourself by your possessions?” she asked sipping her wine

“Not really” said Jackson “I think I would be happy living in extremely modestly with very little,. I guess I wanted the same thing every other human being wants

“Yeah and what’s that?”she asked

“To be loved” said honestly “I think that’s what hurt the most, I loved her and I don’t think she ever loved me. I was just a convenience until she found something better.

Lindsay stayed silent as she sipped her wine. Jackson found it odd that a ghost could drink but didn’t press it too mush as the whole night was just odd anyway. Still, he realized that he started to feel a bit better having someone who seemed to give a shit listening. Maybe that all he really needed in the first place. Someone to talk to that maybe understood. It’s fully how unchecked emotions could drive one to that dark place.

“So what about you?” said Jackson curiously “What’s your story?”

“Me?” she said uncomfortably “You don’t want to hear about that”

“Yeah” said Jackson looking into her pretty green eyes “I do actually”

“You’ll think I’m disgusting” she looked away sadly “I know you will”

“Do you bathe in dog shit?” asked Jackson with a smile

“What?!?!” she gasped in horror “ Eeeeeew! NO!”

“Then you’re not disgusting” said Jackson “So, tell me Please”

“Cute!” she playfully glared at him “Even after all these years, it's still hard to talk about”

“You killed yourself didn’t you?” He asked

“Yes” she said matter of factly ”And I can tell you that it is a lonely existence afterward. That’s why I didn’t want you to go down that same path. Can you understand that?”

“Why?” he asked “why did you do it?”

“You really want to know don’t you?” She sniffed with a bitter look on her face “Fine don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

“Hey” he said gently patting her hand “It’s okay”

“Well obviously my name isn’t Lindsay Rhule” she started

“The hell you say” smiled Jackson

“I was Born Taylor Andrews on a farm in South Carolina. My mom was distant and my Father an abusive drunk. So when I had a chance to escape I did. I took 34 bucks that I had saved and ran away.

“How old were you at the time?” Jackson asked taking a sip of wine

“I was 14” she said “And it was an adventure … at least for a little while. Until I made it to Los Angeles”

“14 years old!?!” Jackson exclaimed “All alone in Hollywood?”

“It was tough and I was taken advantage of a lot. That is until I met my agent/manager Sara Stone. The first good person I had met in Hollywood, almost like a sister. She took me from the streets and changed my life. She helped change me from a dirty little street urchin to one of the most desirable starlets in just under three years”

“It must have been wonderful for you”

“It was at least in the beginning.” she sighed “I had it all…. Money, fame and a wonderful man who loved me.. or so I thought”

“So what happened?” asked Jackson

“Well my career was winding down and I just wanted to live a normal life. Hugh Stewart was one of my many suitors. He was handsome, intelligent and sexy. He was everything I wanted in a man.

“But it wasn’t to be was it?” Jackson said “ Why?”

“I thought I could trust him with one of my deepest secrets” she sobbed a bit as started to cry “It was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. Even now I can still hear him dry heaving in disgust. He slapped me for lying to him all those years that we had been dating. If that wasn’t bad enough he did everything in his power to ruin me. Ratted me out to the government calling me a commie. What funny, is I still don’t exactly know what a communist is. It was too much so i….I…

“hey, hey don’t cry” He said as he wiped her tears

“Thank you” she smiled weakly, enjoying his soft touch

“So what was the big secret?” asked Jackson “What was so bad that he would hate you so much”

“Like hell if I’m telling you!” she scoffed grabbing a bottle of wine “Just forget I said anything and have a drink with me

As she sipped her glass of wine she noticed that she could see the wheels turning in his eyes. He was so damn stubborn

“You not going to let it go are you?”

“No” said Jackson taking a sip “I want to know

“Tough” she said defiantly

“How about another game then?” he said “I win you tell me, I lose and you don’t and I won’t ask again”

“Do you promise?”

“Yeah”

~O~
Lindsay scowled in frustration as he was better this time around. All her little tricks from last time weren’t working and the match was close to being a stalemate. She really didn’t want to tell him, she liked him. The last time she told someone it destroyed her and she didn’t want him hating her to. The best she could do was to try to appeal to him one last time

“Can we stop now please?”she asked softly “Please don’t make me tell you, okay?”

“I want to know” said Jackson “There’s no way I’ll think any less of you”

“You say that now..” she scoffed as her lip started to tremble “but you won’t mean it! You’ll just hate me too”

“I won’t” said Jackson taking another peice

In a mix of defeat and frustration she toppled over her king signaling her surrender.
“Arrrrrrrgh!” she screamed as she tipped over the chess board

“Hey relax!” said Jackson as things started all flying over place

“Relax?!? Relax!?!” she cried as her mascara started to run down her cheeks” How can I even think of relaxing now? I told you to drop it, to just let it go but no you had to push it didn’t you…DIDN”T YOU!?”

“Look i…” Jackson started sincerely

“Shut up!” she growled rather meekly as she started to undress “You want to know my secret, huh? There! Have a good look!”

As her dress slid to the floor Jackson couldn’t help but stare while his jaw hit the floor. Her thin lithe body with creamy peaches and cream skin almost glowed in the moonlight, her small budding breasts with tiny pink nipples, her flat stomach and long slender legs. Between her legs was a rather average sized penis. She was a transgender?

“Still think of me the same way?” she said choking back tears “Do what he did! Tell me I’m disgusting, tell me how ugly I am, tell me what a no good queer faggot I am and then just buzz the fuck off”

“Hey I….”

“Yeah I’m a boy” she sobbed “Even when I was little I knew I wasn’t like other boys. I just wish somebody could have loved me for me but it never happened.

Turning her back on him she started to really let the tears flow now; she waved her hand and unlocked the door slamming it open. Falling to her feet she curled up in a ball hiding her head in her knees

“There, you can go now!” she said between sobs “Just….Just get lost!

“Look i…”

“Are you deaf! I SAID GET OUT! Just go away!!”

Looking out the window at the unusual march falling snow, she heard his heavy steps walk away from her. She didn’t expect him to be any different, though a small part of her wanted him to be. But it was wishful thinking nobody could be attracted to someone like her. Her heart sank as she heard the door shut. She’d probably never see him again but maybe it was for the best.

She stiffened in surprise as she felt a pair of strong hands on her shoulders.

“Hey” Jackson said gently “Look at me”

“No, I don’t want to” she said trembling in surprise “Why are you still here, anyway?

“Because I want to be” he said wrapping his arms around her “Beside I promised to keep you company till sunrise”

“You don’t have to anymore” she said struggling only for a moment “I said you can go”

“I’m a man that keeps his promises” he said warmly turning her around “Besides I can’t leave such a beautiful woman who saved my life so many times crying, now can i?

“But i…..” she said weakly as he wiped her mascara stained cheeks "I’m not a….girl”

“Oh really?” he interrupted running his fingers through her hair “I’ve never seen many boys with perky breasts…

“But ...” she started

“Or with full red kissable lips” he said looking into her eyes

“I…Um” she babbled feeling very light headed

“or smooth soft skin” he smiled as he wrapped his arms around her

“You…. You don’t think I’m disgusting?”

“No, Not at all” he said “I have to admit it’s was bit unexpected but….I think you’re perfect as you are. There’s nothing wrong with you

With a half smile and a small twinkle in her eyes she decided to take a small risk. It was something she wanted to do from the first time she first laid eyes on him. Leaning in slowly, stood on her tiptoes and she gently pressed her lips against his. He didn’t fight her, much to her relief; In fact he returned it even more boldly.

“MMMMMMMM” she thought “I never want this to end”

Breaking the kiss ever so gently, she felt for the first time in a long time genuinely happy. But one kiss wasn’t enough. She wanted more, much more.

“No fair” she said while pulling off his shirt “You got to see me naked. So let me see you”

As she undressed him she had to smile just a bit. In her heyday this would have been quite scandalous, even more so than the revelation of her being born male. She could just see the headlines and radio announcements now. Lindsay Rhule found in flagrante delicto with a negro lover.

She really didn’t care what color he was. He was kind, sweet, non judgmental and yes while a bit shallow on her part; he was a deliciously handsome man. As she rubbed his beefy slightly hairy chest, she couldn’t help but taste his wonderful looking chocolate nipples. She giggled as she licked him all over as she unbuckled his jeans.

“Whoa” she gasped as she felt his warm hardness in her small hands

“Don’t tell me THAT rumor was around in your day?” said Jackson with a blush

“Ummm” she said shyly ”That rumor was always around”

Pushing him down on a nearby chaise lounge she moved on top of him, kissing him ravenously. She loved how their skin tones contrasted and yet matched so beautifully. Why couldn’t have she met him back then instead of Hugh. It would have been so much more wonderful and she would have been much happier.

“To hell with him” she thought as she felt his rough hands all over her body “I have someone better now”

~O~
Jackson couldn’t make sense of this crazy night but if he had to do it all again to get to this point he would. Earlier he just wanted to die and now all he wanted was Lindsay. He truly meant what he said about nothing being wrong with her. He had to admit it was his first time being with a transgendered woman but it didn’t bother him in the least. To him she was all nothing but a pure elegant woman

Grabbing her ass roughly, he flipped her over so that he was on top of her.

“I think I could fall madly in love with you” Jackson said between soft kisses

“Stop it you” she gasped “You’re making me blush with all your sappiness”

“I guess I’ll have to make you moan instead” he said with a smile

Licking and kissing her neck he worked his way down to her budding breasts. She gasped as he gently lapped and nibbled on her nipples.
She giggled as she felt him kiss his way down to her belly he smiled devilishly as he swirled his tongue around her navel before going down even further….

“No…you don’t need to….”she gasped but it was too late “mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm”

Closing her eyes she surrendered to the warm sucking feeling on her most hated body part. Her hips bucked and swayed as he licked and sucked. It wasn’t long before she felt the throbbing waves of pleasure from her cock and that all too familiar release. She moaned loudly while grasping at his head because it was just so much more intense now.

“You ..you didn’t have to do that” she gasped in satisfaction as she brought him up for a kiss “You didn’t have to kiss my ugly thing”

“There’s nothing ugly about you” he said gently while running his fingers through her hair “ I want to accept all of you. I guess it sounds stupid huh?”

“Not from you it doesn’t” she said tracing his face

Shoving him on his back she again took charge. Grasping his cock in her hands, she gulped a little bit as he was a bit bigger than what she was used to. Still she was no stranger to giving a little head herself; Hollywood wasn’t all diamonds and champagne. A blowjob here and there kept the naughty actors and producers from getting into her pants (and exposing her little secret)

Jackson gasped as she took him into her mouth. Her beautiful lust filled emerald eyes locked with his topaz colored ones as she sucked her cheeks in deeper, bobbing her head slowly and methodically. Gripping into his hips, she licked his shaft from the base to the tip thoroughly enjoying his gasps of pleasure.

“Anymore and I’m gonna burst”

“Oh no you don’t!” she smiled while pulling her mouth off with an audible POP ”I never got the chance to do this. So I’m going to saver every moment. I hope you don’t mind

“Not at all” he smiled “I love a woman who takes her time”

She rubbed and caressed him all over as she seductively worked her way back up, taking her time to lick every bit of her dark skinned lover before arriving at his wonderful delicious tasting lips.

“I could kiss you forever” she thought wistfully

“Me too” Jackson said softly

“Will you” she asked shyly “make love to me?”

“I hoped you would ask me that”

“Just please be gentle” she said “I never did this before”

~O~
Lindsay moaned softly as she felt Jackson’s hands all over her body rubbing warm oil into her skin. She closed her eyes wistfully as he started to kiss her neck while massaging her breasts.

“MMMMMMMM” she sighed “This feels soooo good”

She yelped slightly as he slid a slick oiled finger in her ass. She gasped as he slid it in and out before feeling another finger as he stroked her hardening cock. Tilting her head she pulled her lover into a French kiss, feeling very wonderfully naughty as she did so.

“Are you ready for this” he asked

“Yes” she whispered “ but I’m scared ”

“I’ll be gentle” he said kissing her forehead “I promise

Bending over on all fours she could help but wiggle her ass at him. What did he call this position again? Doggy-something? The anticipation was just unbearable as he teased her gently, bringing his cock to her ass then slowly taking it away. Just when she thought she couldn’t take any more, he entered her.

She gritted her teeth as she felt his throbbing hardness slide into her. Tears welled up in her eyes as she tried to deal with the pain; she was scared of this it just hurt so much. Hearing her whimper Jackson leaned down and held her tight

“I’m so sorry” he said pulling back a bit “I don’t want to hurt you anymore”

“No…I’m okay” she said “I…I want this….I need this..please”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure honey” she said sighing feeling the pain subside “Just finish popping my cherry”

As she felt his rough calloused hands on her hips, the pain slowly melted into pure pleasure. Her eyes glazed over in unbridled lust as she surrendered to the euphoric feeling. Feeling him just ravish her body and just enjoying every single thrust was just pure heaven

He pulled out, turned her over and gently entered her again. It was a lot easier this time around as far less painful. She had to admit she liked this one a bit better as she wrapped her long legs around him.

“Sorry for making you cry” he said wiping her tears

“Then make it up to me” she said licking her lips

She smiled as she ran her hands over his beefy chest and wonderful broad shoulders. Biting her lip she fought the urge close her eyes in ecstasy as she felt him grind into her. He was so good. She wanted more and more.

She dug her nails into his back as she felt his strong hand wrap around her cock, stroking it firmly. She started to breathe a harder and stiffen up, she was almost there. Pulling him for a deep kiss she made sure they’d cum to together.

It was one of the most amazing sensations she had ever felt
~0~

As a small fire roared in the fire place, the pair of lovers cuddled on the chaise lounge fully enjoying the afterglow. They didn’t even bother getting dressed, instead enjoying the romantic intimacy that only skin to skin contact could bring. She cuddled close while he played with her hair

“Thank you, Jackson” she whispered as she nuzzled closer"i can't believe it, 6 times?"

“I try to please" he said with a bashful blush "besides i should be thanking you"

“For what?”

“For....everything” he said kissing her sweetly on the lips

She propped herself on her elbow and traced his chest as she smiled. Looking into is kind eyes she wished things could be so much different.

“Did you mean it?” she asked shyly “or was it just pillow talk?”

“Mean what?”

“About falling in love with me”

“Yeah, I meant it” he said “it’s hard not to”

As the sky started to turn colors, signaling sunrise, her heart sank a bit. It was almost time

“I have to go away soon” she said sadly

“What, why?” Jackson asked

“It comes with being a ghost” she said

“Will I see you again?” Jackson asked hopefully

“I don’t think so. I think it might be finally time for me to move on” she said with her lip trembling cuddling closer “If it was up to me I’d stay with you forever”
She started to tear up a little bit as she felt his arms wrap around her. It was true she had to go soon but it seemed kind of cruel. Both of them walking in sadness for, so long and then giving them just a single night of happiness. It didn’t seem fair.

“Can I at least stay with you like this until you have to go?” he asked sadly

“You mean fall asleep in each other’s arms?”

“Yeah?” he said “I mean unless you don’t want to”

“I’d like that very much” she said getting comfortable in the arms of her lover

A small tear rolled down her cheek as she closed her eyes. She didn’t need to sleep of course but she enjoyed the feeling too much. Why did it have to end so soon? I just wasn’t fair!

“Lindsay?”

“Yeah?”

“For whatever its worth to you, I think Hugh was a fucking idiot. I wish I could have married you. I can’t say I’d be the perfect husband but I’d try to be”

“The same goes for your fiancé; she’s didn’t know what she had. I wish I could have married you too.”

“Really?”

“mmmmmmmmmmm hummmmmmmmmmmm” she moaned

From beneath the pile of clothes the ruby on the key ring started to glow dimly, unnoticed by the two lovers

~O~

As the morning sun rose Lindsay smiled sadly as she looked at Jackson for the last time. She caressed his cheek as he slept. Last night was so wonderful. Setting down a Faberge egg , with a note she prepared to move on. However, as an afterthought, a mischievous grin appeared on her face as she decided on one last thing to remind him of her

“Goodbye handsome” she whispered softly into his ear as she faded away

~O~
Jackson awoke a few hours later to an empty den.

“Lindsay?!” he called out but there was no answer

Sighing sadly he got dressed and gathered his things. Last night seemed so surreal it had to be a dream.

“Yeah that’s it just had to be a dream” he thought

That is until he looked into the mirror. On his neck was a rather large hicky.

“That little shit!” He chuckled as he finished getting dressed.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a beautiful ruby red Faberge egg sitting on top a delicately folded letter.

Dear Jackson,
As I write this letter i feel my time here ending and preparing to finally move on. I cannot express how much last night has meant to me. For the longest time I felt like an unholy freak undeserving of being loved and you proved me wrong. If there is such a thing as true love in first sight, I felt it with you.
You’re a good man Jackson and if things were different I would have been delighted to be yours forever. Still I’m holding you to your promise you made to me. I learned too late that life is indeed worth living and there’s always a light in the deepest darkness. Last night you were mine.
I want you to have something to help you get your life back together, this egg. It’s worth enough to get you back on your feet
I love you
Lindsay

Sighing sadly he packed the egg, along with his other meager belongings his rucksack. As he looked around the finished house he had mixed feelings. It seemed so drab, lonely and empty now. Sighing he locked the front door and headed for the nearby mall.

During his trek there he couldn’t help but let his thought wander back on Lindsay. She had gave him something that he had thought he lost, his will to live. He had at least hoped she had found some measure of peace. He would keep his promise and just live day by day and hopefully things will get better.

As he made into the mall indeed he looked for the shop on the card. Opening the wooden door he walked in amazed at all the old dusty stuff. At the counter was a very busty blonde girl yelling at the old man behind it before finally losing her patience and storming past Jackson and slamming the door behind her. As the old man gazed on the young man a small wry smile formed on his face

“Mr Browne” said the wizard” You’re early”

“Hey Merlin!” said Jackson softly” Yeah I got finished early”

“I take that you took time to reflect on your foolishness?”

“You…you could say that” said Jackson with a blush handing him back his key

“Funny I don’t remember giving you a key with a black gem I could have sworn it was red’ said the old man “No matter, I’m sure that it’s insignificant”

“Probably” said Jackson

“Well I guess you’re here for your pay” said the wizard

“Well before we get to that I have something for you” said Jackson reaching into his rucksack and pulling the egg out “This was found in your house”

Even though Lindsay had given it to him and he would have loved to keep it, it wasn’t his to take. The house belonged to the old man

“Honest to a fault Jackson Browne” smiled the old man “I’ve wanted this for my collection for quite some time now”

Reaching under the counter he handed the young man a cashier’s check

“For all your hard work!” said the old man

“Thank you” Jackson said walking out

“Hey” said the old man tossing him a key “I believe this is yours too”

“Isn’t this to key to Rhule manor?” asked Jackson “Old man?”

As he looked up, he found himself outside facing a brick wall. Looking back down at his hands he noticed that he has a check, a set of keys and deed to the property.

“What the hell?”

~O~
While he appreciated that he had a place to live, Jackson dreaded going back to the manor as what really was the point. Lindsay was gone and the place was going to be empty and lonely without her

As he reached the gate he noticed a few construction trucks leaving the property. One of them slowed down and the driver popped his head out the window.

“Hey boss man” said the driver “The boys and I got the roofing done. Check it out its beautiful”

“I appreciate it boys” said Jackson not exactly knowing why “Tack on an extra $200 and take tomorrow off. We should be getting that county bid in a couple of days”

“See this is why I like working for this mother fucker” smiled the driver “Take it easy boss”

As the trucks drove off Jackson was very confused.

“Okay that was just weird”

As he closed his eyes to gather his thoughts, he felt two sharp jabs in his both sides of his ribs causing him to flinch and jump.

“You scaredy cat” said a familiar sultry voice

Turning around, Jackson's jaw dropped as there was Lindsay dressed in jeans and a tshirt in the flesh so to speak.

“Lindsay….What …How? “ Jackson gasped

“I don’t know how” she said “I thought I was moving on and the next thing I know I’m waking up in a different part of the house”

“It doesn’t make any sense” he said “I mean your real, right?”

“See for yourself” she said as grabbed his hand and pressed it to her cheek “I’m alive”

He was speechless as he felt her warm skin, this was all too surreal

“Not only that” she said showing her ring finger “You might want to look at yours”

Looking at his hand he noticed a thin gold band, a wedding ring looking back at her he smiled. Does that mean what he thought it meant?

“So you don’t have a problem being married to me?” she asked gently "At least i hope not"

“Are you kidding me? Get over here!” he said as he kissed her and picked her up off her feet “How about you?”

“Do you even have to ask?” she said with a smile “What do you think, my handsome husband? Should we should christen the house?”

“I don’t know, My beautiful wife” smiled Jackson “Do you think you can keep up with me, there’s a lot of rooms?”

“I do” she said licking her lips seductively “Let’s start with the den”
~O~
The old man looked on from the bridge at the large manor on the hill satisfied that he could at least save one soul. Jackson was a rarity in this world, a good honest young man who got dealt a bad hand in life. Had he had kept the egg and lied about it well he would have joined the ranks of his many transformed bimbos.

He had not anticipated that outcome with Lindsay but who was he to argue and interfere with their happiness. Better for her to be as she was than a troublesome ghost who violently guarded her earthly possessions

As he cleaned the egg and added it to his collection he smiled as he truly wished the two of them well

Jackson would find himself the owner of a small but profitable construction company. Lindsay would find herself in Hollywood once again, this time as a screenwriter. There would be some trying times but their love and devotion to each other would always work itself out

Waving his hand he turned the black gem back to its red color. It was a simple wishing stone he had picked up long ago. He was wise to not tell the boy what it was, les he do something stupid like wish he was dead .But he could have never expected it to grant the same wish by two different souls

He was right though, things do get better….

up
99 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I liked this story first time

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I liked this story first time around and I like the rewrite just as much. It's good to see you writing again Alexander. :-)

 


"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Awesome!

Thank you for this awesome story... I normally don't read SRU, but this story didn't dissappoint me at all.

Thank you for writing this beautiful story,
Beyogi

Great story!

Always have liked that Wizard.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Excellent!

Yeah, I read the earlier version, and loved it, too. This is just a very good story, and I'll probably re-read it several times in the future. I love the feeling of almost desperate but honest love between the two characters. I'm of two minds on SRU stories. Some of them are not so good, but this one is a stand out example. I wish they were all this good! Thank you, and I hope this means you'll be writing again. I miss your stories.

Wren

Back with the living

I enjoyed the tale you spun, and a nice touch at the end, or was that several as there are many rooms. Welcome back

Welcome back!

... and please, Please, PLEASE don't let the opinionated idiots that inhabit any open forum drive you away again. You have a great story voice and brings much needed variety to the Big Closet palette.

Kim

This was so sweet

It renewed my hope that the wizard can do good things.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, gamer girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

This was so sweet

It renewed my hope that the wizard can do good things.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, gamer girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Very Nice

littlerocksilver's picture

I really enjoyed the story before, and it was nice to be able to enjoy it again.

Now, you need to finish that story that takes place along the coast of California.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Welcome back

I really enjoyed this story, and I hope that you will continue your others.

--Brandon Young

--Brandon Young

Very sweet :-)

Thanks for posting this, it was a lovely read.

Hugs

Alys

Very nice

two broken hearts healing each other

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

I loved it

Thanks for a really good time, everyone should read this one. It was better than a Hallmark story.

SJH