Jubal: Epilogue: The End of the Beginning

Printer-friendly version

Jubal: End of the Beginning

Copyright  © 2011 Faeriemage
All Rights Reserved.

Jubal's valedictory address

The principle slid a step stool in front of the podium before stepping out of the way so that Jubal to take her place to give her address. In the past couple of months she'd taken to wearing light makeup to emphasize her feminine features and it was perfect today.

She took a deep breath and looked out over the audience.

"Many of these addresses are made by idealistic youth trying to prove their right to be recognized as the most intelligent person in the room. Some few actually show insight into the human condition, or make us think about more than where we want to go for lunch as soon as this interminable prattling is over."

After some scattered laughter, she continued.

"I am not an idealistic youth, but neither do I consider myself wise. I am simply myself, Jubal Marie Franks. Each of us here has a name. We have loved ones friends. We have hopes and dreams, fears and worries.

"High school was naught but a moment in any of our lives, and we continue our lives even now. We met people and grew in both knowledge and friendship."

"Some of us grew more than others!"

"Thank you, Lance. Amanda, it is times like these I wish you and Lance were still together so you could silence him."

There was some laughter at this.

"We had love, and heartbreak. And we will love and lose again, if we're lucky.

"I look out on you and realize that this is not the end, or even the beginning of the end. It is only the end of the beginning.

"We stand before you, our parents and siblings, ready to go on to the rest of our lives. We will be the lawyers and the doctors. The rising stars and the burn outs. The dancers and the football players.

"Some of us you won't ever hear about again. Some of us you will wish that you'd never heard of in the first place."

There was more laughter at this one.

"This is not a pep speech, nor is it a prediction. This is our life, we few, we proud. Our moment for ourselves and those we choose to share it with. Be true to yourselves my fellow students and seek joy. Live your lives in happiness and fulfillment."

Jubal stepped down to general applause, though whether that was to her being done or for her words, she didn't know. It didn't matter to her. She was happy with her words and ready for the next chapter in her life.

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The end

ALISON

'of the beginning! Short and to the point.

ALISON

Me too!

I'm ready for the next chapter in her life! So many questions left to answer!

Wren

Wonderfull story. Absolutely

Wonderfull story. Absolutely beautiful, and such a marvelous speech.

Jubal: Epilogue: The End of the Beginning

Jubal has now chosen her gender.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Jubal

Whichever she/he chooses to be is an extraordinary person.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Maggie

As you said in comments -


It's the end of the beginning.
An unusual story insofar as our hero/ine uses his'her hermaphrodism to empower him/herself.
Very sad that she ends up sterile but perhap[s yet even that (With Sci-fi advanced medicine,) can be resolved in any future stories.
I've enjoyed this story.

Sorry I have not commented as often as I should but R/L has been biting at my a--e these last few weeks.

Hugs.

XXX

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

One of the most moving

One of the most moving stories I've read in a while. I like that Jubal was able to choose to be a girl without losing all of her boyness, which is signified by keeping her first name.

There are so many people who have seen Jubal being herself without being forced into a gender pigeonhole that I'm sure will help the next IS and TS people to come along.

I'm guessing you were planning to bring Jubal into the Center universe (did you already say?) but I think she stands alone too.

Amazing Story

Teek's picture

That was an amazing story. You brought a person from birth through High School (okay still not a teenager, but still). It was an excellent story, and you left me wondering about the unresolved elements.

There were a few parts that didn't line up with development, like getting abstract reasoning should have happened between 8 1/2 and 9 1/2 but you had it happening at 7 1/2. Your portrayal of a gifted little kid didn't always show the duplicity of being a little kid and a highly intelectual person at the same time, but it wasn't too far off. Good job.

I am very curious as to where you are going to take this.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek