The Mrs. 'Clause'

Printer-friendly version

The icy wind and blowing snow cut through me as I trudged along the sidewalk on my way to my job as a salesclerk at 'Kringle's Department Store'. The job didn't pay a lot , but it kept a roof over my head and food in my tummy. I was also fortunate in that Kringle's was a friendly place to work for the LGBT community. The owner's daughter was among our sisterhood, having completed her transition 6 years before.Her name was Claire and she worked in the Accounting department.

I noticed that when I got closer to the store, the ice increased on the sidewalk and it was all I could do to keep from falling on my hormone induced ass. Fortunately, I stayed upright and finally made it inside the door just as snow blew in behind me. I headed to the back of the store to hang up my coat and clock in. My Department manager, Linda Snow, greeted me with a smile as we prepared to open up. The phone rang and Linda picked it up. I watched as her face took on a look of concern. She told the person to keep us informed and hung up. She told me that Sarah Winters, who played our Mrs. Claus, had fallen on the ice and fractured her leg. They were just loading her in the ambulance as she was talking to Linda. They were going to X-ray to determine the extent of the fracture and she would let us know. The immediate question we had was who was going to be Mrs. Claus? Linda was too short and Mrs. Elfin in Cosmetics was too fat to fit in the costume. That left only one person...Me!. Linda looked me over and said that the costume would fit me with a few adjustments. I swallowed hard and realized what that meant. A corset and a pair of breast enhancers. I was developing, but I wasn't quite as endowed as Sarah up top or in my figure yet. Linda took me to the back dressing area and had me strip down to my bra and panties. She fastened the corset around me and starting drawing down the laces. I felt like I was being cut in half, but I lost enough to wear the costume without any problem. The enhancers went in and gave me enough to pull off wearing it up top. We got me dressed in the red velvet dress, matching boots with white fur trim, white wig and red hat. I did my make up and then we went back out on the floor to meet Mr. Kringle. He was the owner of the store, but he believed in playing Santa Claus himself. He thanked me for stepping in at the last minute and we prepared to welcome the children and their parents. We expected to be really busy as it was coming up on two weeks before Christmas. I stood next to Santa's big velvet chair holding a long piece of scrolled paper. I would take dictation as each child told Santa what they wanted. I would give them each a candy cane and many of them would give me a hug and even a kiss. We continued for about 4 more hours and then took a break for lunch and a bathroom break. We continued after lunch right up until closing. I went to the back and changed back into my regular clothes and toned down my make up. When I came out, Linda told me that Sarah had called. She said her leg was fractured in three places and she would be on crutches for 8 to 10 weeks. It looks like I will be Mrs. Claus for the duration! I went home and fixed myself a bowl of soup, took a shower and went to bed. I slept well that night!

I got to sleep in for a little longer because the store wouldn't open until noon for the Sunday Church crowd. I got up at 10 AM and hit the shower. After getting dressed, make up on and grabbing a light breakfast. I was on my way out the door by 11. The snowplow crews had been out and done a pretty good job clearing the streets. The sidewalks were still treacherous and I said a silent prayer that I wouldn't share the same fate as Sarah did the previous day. Somehow, I managed to get there in one piece and repeated my preparations of the previous day. Linda helped me with the corset and I was ready to go 15 minutes before we opened. It looked to be another busy day when the clock struck 12. Parents had their cameras ready and the children had looks of anticipation on their faces. Some of the requests made of Santa, really touched us. Some kids asked Santa to send some food and toys to the local homeless shelter and some asked Santa to help their parents stay together and not fight. I looked at a few faces among the crowd of parents and I could tell who the guilty parties were, by the look of shame that crossed their faces. I even put on a bit of a disapproving look, which I know they saw. The day seemed to pass pretty quickly and I was soon ready to change and head home. Mr Kringle told me to stop in at the office after I changed. I came back and he told me that we would be going to 'Mercy Children's Hospital in the morning and spending the day there. Monday's were our slow day, so it was a perfect opportunity to spread some Christmas cheer to the community.

I finally made my way out the door toward home and stopped off to grab some Chinese takeout on my way. I got home and soaked my feet as I ate and watched a few Christmas movies on TV. I had to admit that the single life was a bit lonely and I would often dream of what it would be like to have someone waiting at home for me. I got ready for bed and I was out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I got into work the next morning and proceeded to get ready to go to the hospital. Mr Kringle met me dressed as Santa and we walked out the back door. I was surprised to see a horse drawn sleigh hitched up and ready to go. Mr. Kringle explained that it was cheaper to use a horse in this situation because reindeer required more upkeep and expense to ship over. We got in with our bag of goodies and made our way the four blocks to the hospital. We got a lot of looks, but everyone recognized Belle, because she had pulled horse drawn carriages through the town square for many years. When we got there, I noticed that the hospital was decked out in thousands of colorful lights and there was a construction paper chain that stretched the length of the hallway in the Children's Ward. We were greeted by kids having wheelchair races in the halls and others playing video games on a big screen TV. The minute the kids saw us, they came over to us with squeals of joy. They hugged each of us very tightly and the feeling of love from these precious angels was unlike anything I have ever known. We found a chair in the common area where Santa sat down and began to lift each child up on his lap. I did my duty and wrote each of their requests down. There was a little boy named Billy, who asked Santa to help find his daddy a new job. He had been fired by his company for taking too much time off to be with his sick son. I could tell that the wheels were turning in Mr. Kringle's head as he listened to Billy's story. Claire had told me that there was an opening for a Warehouse Foreman in our 5th Street Distribution Center. It would work well for Billy's daddy. I saw a little girl standing by herself off to the side. She looked shy and afraid. I knelt down and asked her what her name was. She said it was 'Hope'. One of the boys started to make fun of her and said that 'Hope was really a little boy named 'Kevin' . She got upset and started to cry. I turned to the boy whose name was Eric and told him that I was putting him on the "Naughty List" if he didn't apologize. She told me that she was in there, because she tried to cut off her pee pee with a pair of scissors. The doctor had informed her parents that she should be allowed to express herself as a girl and they had reluctantly agreed. She had a very pretty green dress on with a matching bow in her hair and pair of white tights and Mary Jane's. She asked Santa for a new baby doll and asked him to fix her "problem" for her. I gave her a hug and whispered that someone knew how she felt. She looked at me with surprise. I smiled and put my finger up to my lips and mouthed "Shhhh!!!! She got the message and nodded.

The next little girl's name was 'Faith'. She was waiting for a Bone marrow transplant. She said that she knew that she wouldn't last much longer if a match wasn't found. There was a silent look that passed between Mr. Kringle and me. We knew we would be getting tested to see if we matched before we left the hospital. We stayed long enough to meet with Billy's dad. Mr. Kringle took him aside and offered him the new job. He cried! Mr. Kringle told him about the benefits and said that he would be given time off any time he needed to see to Billy's needs. He said his wife was a nurse and was pulling extra shifts at the main facility for 'Mercy'. We got one last kiss and hug from the children and proceeded to go to the lab for our blood test. After that, we got in the sleigh and started back toward the store. He dropped me off and took Belle back to the city stable the next block over.

The next week was another busy one with a multitude of procrastinating husbands, coming in for their desperate search of a gift for their wives. Linda was able to sell them a lot of expensive jewelry and perfume, because many were in the dog house for one thing or another. On Tuesday, we got a call saying that Mr. Kringle was a perfect match for 'Faith'. He left immediately for the hospital after we closed for the day and they harvested the marrow. It was hoped that she would be well enough to leave isolation after New Years. Wednesday was just another busy day at the store, but Thursday (Christmas Eve) was our visit to St. Theresa's Orphanage. We got ready and drove over in Mr. Kringles car, since it was too far for us to go with Belle. We arrived to another home decorated with bright lights. The children were playing and just finished eating breakfast. The home was clean and looked comfortable. There were two little twin girls with red hair and green eyes. They were 6 years old and I found out that their parents were both killed in an accident very recently. Their relatives were either dead or too old to care for them. My heart melted when I saw Joy and Jessica. I made a wish that I could somehow be their mommy. I told Mr. Kringle and he just winked at me. I was a little intrigued by this, but I soon got busy with writing the wishes of the children down on the list. We stayed for most of the day and then got ready to go. When we left, I vowed to come back and visit as often as I could.

We went back to the store and I changed clothes. I started for home and crashed as soon as I got in. I had no intention of going out anywhere else tonight. I settled in and started watching "It's A Wonderful Life". A few hours later, my doorbell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone, so I was really surprised to see Mr. Kringle standing there in street clothes. Beside him was SANTA! He looked at me and finally introduced himself as Kris and that I already knew his brother Don. I wondered if the name Kringle was connected and now I had my answer. Santa told me that he needed me for a special mission tonight. He said that he needed me to go to the hospital and the orphanage. I told him that I would gladly help out. He then touched the side of his nose with his finger and said "Holly Berry, I christen you Mrs. Claus for this special mission. You have "The Magic of Christmas" and can do anything I can do. A longer version of the same costume I wore at the store, appeared on me as well as the rest of the outfit. I stepped outside to see the sleigh waiting for us. This time, the reindeer were at the ready. I did ask why there was one more reindeer hitched up. He explained that this was 'Olive' She was the transgendered daughter of Blitzen and was in training on this trip. I was impressed!

We took off and landed on the roof of the hospital and magically transported down to the Children's floor. I appeared in Hope's room and approached her bed. I looked at her sleeping and sprinkled some magic dust on her. She was transformed into a complete girl and reality adjusted to make it as if she had always been biologically female. She was transported home to her own bed and would wake up to everything she asked for from Santa. Meanwhile, Santa was in with Faith and accelerated her healing process. She too, was transported home to her own bed. Santa helped accelerate the healing for all the children who needed it before we left. We left for the orphanage and wsent inside much the same way as we did at the hospital. The children were all asleep and we left them each a special gift. I leaned over Joy and Jessica, kissing them and whispering "I Love You".

Santa dropped me off at my house and I went inside to get ready for bed. I was dreaming sweet dreams when my head hit the pillow. The next thing I knew, I heard the excited squeals of two little girls saying "Mommy, come see what Santa brought us! I was still half asleep and it really hadn't sunk in through the fog. I opened my eyes as two little bodies launched themselves on my bed. I opened my eyes to see Joy and Jessica staring at me with excited anticipation! I was completely stunned, but things started coming to me in swift fashion. I was a mother to two girls who I even remembered giving birth to and even remembered when my I had conceived them with my husband. I was the wife of a Naval Officer, named Brian Kringle! He was deployed in the Persian Gulf. I was Don's daughter-in-law, Joy and Jessica were of course, his granddaughters in this new reality. He and Grandma Merry were coming over later with Aunt Claire for dinner. I had a few questions to ask him!

When they arrived, I took Don aside and wanted to know why this happened? He said "My dear, you need to read the fifth page of the job application you filled out. There is a 'clause' in there that says that you agreed to go through a test. If you were proven worthy to join the Kringle family, all of your wishes would come true! Welcome to our family dear! I stood there with tears rolling down my cheeks as he hugged me to him. We went to find Grandma Merry and Aunt Claire. They were in the kitchen spoiling my little girls with milk and cookies. I smiled at them and just took it all in. I feel like the luckiest woman in the world. I have another present to deliver in about 7 months.I have told Brian this morning when he called from the ship. I tell them to gather around as I tell them the good news. As expected, everyone jumps up to hug and kiss me.

Epilogue

I sit here watching Joy and Jessica play together. They are both growing so much. Their baby sister,Noelle Grace is nursing peacefully on my breast and my wonderful Brian is sitting here next to me. I am so blessed and I can't stop thinking about how all this was made possible by an overlooked section of the 'Kringle Enterprise's' Employment application called the 'Mrs.Clause'!

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good story!

janet_L.'s picture

Even if it would have been better without the bad pun at the end.

So maybe this could become a

So maybe this could become a forth "Santa Clause" movie? Would really be interesting and rather fun to see it play out. Jan

Awe!!

Jengrl,

You should have put a disclaimer at the beginning if this story that tissues needed to be at hand. I knew half way through that it was the case and had to make do with a stiff paper napkin. But, it was worth it. Loved the names of your characters and the ending was sugary sweet just as a holiday story should be.

Thanks for a fun story.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Cute

RAMI

A cute and sugary sweet tale for the holiday.

RAMI

RAMI

The Mrs. 'Clause'

I love this variation on the SANTA CLAUSE series of movies.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A transgendered reindeer? Uhm okay.

I really loved this story. It was handled with a delicate touch, and made me cry. The images were photographic, the dialogue was real, and my emotions flowed as I read about the children in the hospital and the orphanage. But I am happy that the story turned out that everybody got what they wanted for Christmas, including Holly Berry. Thank you for sharing Jen.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

PS: Kleenex Needed

Jen,

This one, the emotions kind of snuck up on me. The story is simple, the premise fantastical, and the writing at a level anyone could enjoy it. You even managed to get in Faith and Grace, not to mention Joy and Love, in the story. :)

But... when it got to the end I found myself reaching for the tissue.

Thank you for this Christmas gem.

Beth

Oh So Close! Thanks To All Who Voted!

jengrl's picture

I want to thank all of you who took the time to read and cast your kudo's for my story. I was one vote short of finishing in the money, but I am glad so many enjoyed it. I will have to put on my thinking cap and try to come up with something that will be enjoyed by the readers the next time there is a contest. I know there were some who ridiculed this one, but I guess you can't please everyone. Oh well, That's the way life is. I guess?

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

It may be March...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but it's still Christmas after reading this when it popped up in the random section. Very sweet and a nice segue for me on a very difficult day. You lifted my spirits. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena