Dear Dr. Laura

Printer-friendly version

The Following is a letter I wrote Dr. Laura some years ago in response to a call from a woman who had discovered that her husband of 35 years was transgendered.

Dear Dr. Laura,

I caught your show yesterday, when the woman called who had discovered a month ago that her husband of 35 years was “transgendered.” I’m a long time fan and was surprised that your usual good advise kind of fell flat. After some consideration, I determined that perhaps you weren’t able to meet your usual standards because you were out of your area of expertise and were just as shocked as your caller. Well, maybe not just as shocked, after all it wasn’t your husband. Being transgendered myself, I thought I may be able to give you some useful information about transgendered people.

First a little background about myself, so you know where I’m coming from. I’m happily married. 40 years to the same woman. I sometimes suspect she was source material for your book “The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.” Like the caller’s husband, I knew at a very young age (8 or 9 for me) I was different. I discovered girl’s clothes at that age and the need to wear them. Aside from that I was a “normal” boy. Played with my friends, join Boy Scouts, went camping, fishing and did all the “normal” boy things. I married at 22 and we raised two daughters. I can honestly say, and my wife agrees with me, that we are more in love each day and we have a good, growing marriage. By the way, she discovered my secret 35 years ago.

Now about transgendered people in general. First of all, transgendered isn’t just transsexual. Transgendered includes all people whose self-perceived gender doesn’t fit the societal norm. Gender is not binary as is sex; not either or. In sex there is male and female and that’s pretty much it, but in gender, masculine sits at one end of a spectrum and feminine sits at the other. Very few people really fall exactly at either end of that spectrum. The vast majority of people are some small distance from one end or the other. Most are near the end that matches their sex. Transgendered individuals are those that are some considerable distances from the end that matches their sex. Transsexuals are close to the end that is farthest from their sex. Other transgendered fall varying distances closer to their sex. To be truly transsexual, one must fall very close to the feminine end.

There is a whole medical field oriented toward discovering just which of the transgendered are actually transsexual called the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care. I’ll let you look that up if you’re interested in the particulars. I’ll just say that the Benjamin Standards are in place to be sure that someone doesn’t just go out and have Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS) because they think they are a transsexual.

Even among transsexuals, it is not uncommon for them, for various reasons, to forego the surgery. Those who have married (I’ll talk about why we marry a little later) and are honorable will most often forego the surgery because they made vows and aren’t willing to break them for their own satisfaction. In short they sacrifice for the woman they love and the children she bore them. They work hard, provide a home and all the amenities that their non-transgendered counterparts do. I believe that you say that real men are those who sacrifice for their families. Considering that, it seems to me that the husband of your caller had done just that for 35 years. To spite his being transgendered, I say that he is a real man.

Now as to why we marry. 35 years ago, (40 for me) there was no Internet and scant other ways to garner information about what it was to be transgendered. As a matter of fact, the word transgendered didn’t even exist. Dr. Virginia Prince coined the term in 1979. As a result of information being so hard to come by, most of us at that age thought we were the only man in the world to feel the need to dress in feminine clothes or otherwise express anything feminine. We knew that we weren’t like other guys and we also knew, instinctively, that we would not be understood. The whole thing just was too weird to even talk to anyone about, so we just hid that part of us away. It seems almost universal that we thought that once we got married that this aberrant behavior would simply go away. The reasoning goes something like this: I really want something feminine in my life and what could be more feminine and more in my life than a wife? Why, surely, once I’m married I’ll not need this anymore. My wife will take its place. By all means, I should get married and “cure” this thing; be done with it once and for all.

Imagine our surprise when that just wasn’t so. OK, we’re married, we’ve made vows and we really do love the woman who married us; what do we do now? We are sure that if she had known about this aberration she would have never married us. So, we reason, at all cost we can’t let her know. We must bury it and deny its existence. We try, really we do. We repeatedly throw out all the feminine gear we’ve collected only to go out and buy more a short time later, because we feel we’re going to lose our mind if we don’t just put on a dress. Each time we promise ourselves it will be the last time. We hide, we lie, we spend money secretly and we suffer guilt because we can’t be honest with our soul mate. We curse ourselves for being so weak, so unmanly, so deviant and dishonest. We learn to hate ourselves and we live in fear of being discovered, because we know it will be the end when we are. In short, we live our lives in quiet desperation, expressing our feminine nature for scant moments of time always in fear that we’ll make some small mistake that will be our undoing.

My heart goes out to the wife, like your caller, who finds out her husband is transgendered. Especially if he didn’t tell her but she stumbled upon it by accident. She feels betrayed, lied to and defrauded. All understandable; it’s all true. After all, her husband isn’t as advertised. The very thought of loving someone who’s as feminine as he is masculine, maybe more, makes her feel like she’s some kind of freak. The thought of holding him in her arms makes her feel like a lesbian because she can’t get the image of him in a dress (even if she’s never really seen him in one) out of her mind. If he’s lied about this, what else has he lied about? Is he really gay? Does he dress up because he wants to have sex with a man? Has he already had sex with a man? Just how much of the family resources has he burned up buying women’s clothes? This is worse than him playing around with another woman. That she could fight. But in this case, he is the other woman, and that other woman can fulfill a need she can’t even come close to.

She somehow, mistakenly, blames herself. She’s just not woman enough, she reasons. If she were, he wouldn’t need this. She begins to hate herself because she just doesn’t have what it takes to bring out the man in her man. She’s obviously not pretty enough, not sexy enough and not loving enough. In short, she sees herself as a failure as a woman and stupid to boot. She regales herself for being so stupid for thinking he was just a genteel man who appreciated women but in reality he was something abhorrent instead. What’s wrong with her that she didn’t see it? What’s wrong with her that a man like that would be attracted to her?

Truth is, nothing could be farther from the truth. What’s wrong amounts to a birth defect in him. No matter who he married or even if he never married, he would be who he is. Odds are, he’s not gay. (Some studies [Dr. Virginia Prince and Dr. Richard Docter] show that the incidence of homosexuality is slightly less among transgendered males than among the population at large.)

What is he really guilty of? Well all these years, he’s lied about it. He’s hidden a crucial fact about himself. Even worse than that, the bastard loved her and provided for her and her children just as if he was the man she thought she married all while lying about who he really was. What a terrible thing he has done. He made a mistake about himself and involved another person (his wife) in that mistake. He vowed to love, honor and cherish her and he had the temerity to deny, as best he could, his true nature and instead, honor his vow and play the part of the man she wanted. What a terrible thing it is he’s done. (Ouch, I think I bit my tongue trying say that with it in my cheek.)

I would have expected you to tell your caller to take some time, maybe up to a year to wrap her head around this information and to do some research on just what she was up against before she decided to do anything. What she has experienced is very much like the death of a loved one. The husband she thought she married is gone. People who have lost love ones are usually advised to not make any major decisions for a while.

She needs time to get to know this person who’s taken his place… to discover if she can learn to love that person… to grow and examine the real reasons she’s having problems accepting this. I don’t mean to make it sound as if she is at fault some how. Certainly she didn’t do anything and doesn’t deserve to have this in her life. However, it’s not the end of her life and it’s not necessarily the end of her marriage. As you say, we all have to deal with what is.

It wasn’t easy, but over time (it took nearly ten years) my wife has come to accept me as I am and, though she still says that she’d just as soon not have ever known, she has learned to love the feminine man who turned up in her husbands body. The whole process took a lot of work on my part, convincing her that I really did love her and that I had her best interests at heart. I did the work, but she deserves the credit, because had she kicked my butt to the curb as she’d have been justified in doing, I could never have proven myself. I don’t know what gave her the strength to tough it out until I could prove myself but 35 years later, we’re both glad she did.

Your loyal fan,

(For this letter)

Patricia Marie Allen

up
43 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*stands on a desk*

That is, I think, one of the most impressive, impassioned pieces of argumentative writing I have ever read on this subject. Clear declaration of the thesis, strong support without over arguing or getting trapped in minutiae, and clear flow from that initial declaration to the conclusion. Your emotion is obvious and obviously strongly informs your line of argument, but it doesn't supplant it, and doesn't interfere with it.

Excellent, beautiful, and well-formed. And hella good points as well. ^__^ Thank you for writing that, and thank you for sharing with us!

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

This should be compulsory reading

This letter should be compulsory reading for all of the shows, columns and talk back radio shows (or even better thier audience since regrettably most of them are too full of themsleves to grasp it or simply refuse to consider it since heated emeotion is good for ratings). Thanks for sharing it with us, this is the most eleoquent response I have seen.

Did you get a reply?

I'd really be curious to hear if she replied to you... Or, if she even bothered reading it. *sighs*

Sorry, I'm a tad cynical. I did find your letter well written, and fairly clear and representative. I can see some parallels with my situation, and I have hopes of as good an outcome. :-)

Annette

I dare say there are a lot

I dare say there are a lot of people who conceal their true natures from the men and women they marry. In fact, that’s a commonplace complaint when marriages break down, ‘I just don’t know you any more.’

So many women have married men who concealed their brutal, oppressive natures, only to reveal them later, sometimes much later, after babies arrive, and the accumulation of things and knowledge that makes credible threats to the family and friends of the woman possible, so she may be held captive in horrific bondage.

Bullies are not necessarily idiots, and many know quite well the art of dissembling, so that even close friends and family are ‘surprised’ when the woman turns up dead.

‘We had no idea,’ they might say, or ‘That’s not the man we knew.’

Until quite recently… well, within my memory, ‘crossdressing’ was illegal almost everywhere, and any sort of sexual ‘deviance*’ the sort of ‘character flaw’ that might get one stuffed into:

1. Prison
2. A ‘mental institution’
3. A ‘medical’ operating theatre having a lobotomy
4. A ‘treatment room’ undergoing either electroshock or insulin-induced convulsive ‘therapy’
5. All of the above

Pick one. And don’t forget ‘unemployed.’

At the Federal level, it’s still perfectly legal to fire one for being transgendered, although there may be local lows protecting one, so this last deterrent hasn’t gone away, not to mention that one won’t be welcome around children, any children, in any neighbourhood, for the foreseeable future.

Is it any wonder that perfectly ordinary people don’t ‘come out’ with any regularity? Who, after all, would be so foolish?

Bank robbers don’t ‘come out,’ and neither do most of us involved in any ‘lifestyle choice’ with penalties attached. We’re not idiots, after all.

-------

* Anywhere on the GLBT spectrum, as well as exhibitionism, necrophilia, and paedophilia, which were treated (roughly) as mere extremes of deviance, and not different in kind.

For example, the Honourable Senator Jesse Helms had this language added to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, lest his delicate sensibilities be offended.

Sec. 12211. Definitions

(a) Homosexuality and bisexuality

For purposes of the definition of "disability" in section 12102(2) of this title, homosexuality and bisexuality are not impairments and as such are not disabilities under this chapter.

(b) Certain conditions

Under this chapter, the term "disability" shall not include

(1) transvestism, transsexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or other sexual behavior disorders;

(2) compulsive gambling, kleptomania, or pyromania; or

(3) psychoactive substance use disorders resulting from current illegal use of drugs.

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Patricia, I just read your

Patricia,
I just read your most interesting letter and found myself caught up in it. I do hope that Dr. Laura had the decency to respond to you and if she did, did not try to belittle you by showing "her expertise". I agree with others that this letter should be read by ALL the "I know better than everyone else" talk show hosts whether they are male or female.
I also believe it should be a STANDARD and REQUIRED reading in ALL medical schools and ALL colleges or Universities that turn out Psychologists or Psychiatrists. Unless these doctors who deal with Transgendered people are themselves TG, I honestly and truly feel and believe that most just don't "get it" even when they say they do. Kudos and Hugs to you and to your Wife.
From one who is TG; Janice Lynn Miller, MA (Family Counselor, now retired)

Psychologists and Psychiatrists

Puddintane's picture

Even if it had, Dr Laura wouldn't have seen it, as she's neither. She has a doctorate* in Physiology, and is a glorified gym teacher. Ask her about your exercise regimen and you'll get a professional answer. Anything else, you might as well ask your Aunt Sophie. At least Dear Auntie won't make sarcastic remarks about you to an audience of your friends and neighbours.

Cheers,

Puddin'

* In the USA, it's generally seen as somewhat pretentious for persons holding doctorates in fields other than medicine (Some include dentistry, others don't) to style themselves as doctors. In the special case of lawyers, all of whom hold doctorates, it's rather more than pretentious, although there are lots of pretentious people, so many that medical doctors have taken to calling themselves physicians, which term is restricted by law, to avoid the crush of Doctor Cabdrivers and Doctor Refrigerator Repairmen. (This last is a true story -- I knew a man who held a law degree but was such a poor excuse for a lawyer that he made his actual living as a refrigerator repairman, and he wasn't any good at that either. I know, because I hired him to fix mine once, which he couldn't do, so I looked into it myself and it was a broken wire, possibly gnawed by mice. A bit of solder and some insulating tape and it was as good as new.)

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Dr Laura

Puddintane's picture

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by displays of bigotry and pandering to her anti-gay, anti-tg, and anti-anything audience. It's all about ratings, after all.

Up until the late Nineties, when the "culture wars" erupted, Dr Laura was both sympathetic to and supportive of GLBT people. Since that time, virulent bigots, presumably in withdrawal from their favourite topics involving race hatred, fixated upon homosexuality and all that sort of thing as targets for their vile natures, and Dr Laura changed to suit the times. These days, she's no longer a feminist, no longer supports *any* GLBT people, especially transsexuals, and would probably happily discuss the "legitimate" psychological reasons that Black people are "the way they are" if she thought she could get away with it.

As Hitler conclusively demonstrated, hate sells, and he has countless imitators in the present day, hate mongers all, but one can hardly blame them, in our capitalist system, since a lot of people are buying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schlessinger#Views_on_hom...

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I suspect you wasted a stamp

Angharad's picture

I doubt you'll change anything, unless you change her paymasters first and that would require massive change in the psyche of middle America. I find it astonishing that there is such a wide spectrum of tolerance in the US, from very open and accepting to extreme prejudice verging on homicidal.

I'm aware we have bigots in the UK as well, some of them narrow minded religious zealots, others just plain ignorant and nasty. But at least the law supports the right to be yourself and to have that change eventually recognised in law. It is also attempting to undo years of institutionalised prejudice in companies and government, such as the armed forces and Metropolitan Police. So we are making progress, slowly. What is most worrying, is the increase in mindless violence by teenagers and young adults, often fuelled by drink and possible dissociative disorder*, where anyone who is different is seen as a legitimate target for attack, and those attacks seem more and more brutal. Sadly, they also seem to involve more women and girls amongst the perpetrators in this ladette culture.

*borderline/personality disorder of a sociopathic nature.

Angharad

Angharad

You penned a thoughtful and

You penned a thoughtful and beautifully written letter that deals with a complex subject in understandable and compassionate terms. No doubt in vain, though. Bigotry is a formidable foe and does not follow the laws of reason.

No stamp is wasted

The singular voice of honesty is well heard before the roar of a crowd. There was no wasted stamp in this letter to Dr. Laura. Whne voicing ones opinion and doing so to educate a stamp is never wasted.
Borderline Personality Disorder is a catch all when doctors (psychiatrist) can not pinpoint any specific mental illness.
Dr. Laura reminds me of Dear Abby and Ann Landers two sisters who wrote advice columns. It never amazes me at how gullible people can be. I have a degree in Behavioral Science, that makes me a scientist, ask me to do something scientific as per the general publics idea of scientist and I cannot do it. I observe people and notice those who are doing their best to be noticed (act out). then I make a personal diagnosis of the individual.
I am involved in a Mental Health advocacy group as a consumer and a support group facilitator. I have several diagnosis of different mental illnesses. Before the multiple diagnosis I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. It was the governments way of saying I had a problem but they were not responsible. I was later diagnosed with PTSD (combat related) and some of its offshoots.
I write letters to the editor in newspapers, to talk show host radio and television. I have never felt like I wasted a stamp.
I see this letter as an opportunity for the rest of us to get permission to use it and send it to newspaper editors and talk show host throughout the world. There will be no stamps wasted as we can educate.

Jill Micayla
May you have a wonderful today and a better tomorrow

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.

Dear Abbey

Puddintane's picture

I used to work on a newspaper as a Linotype operator and the Abbey columns, including all the "replies" to columns from the days before, came packaged up in bundles with several week's worth of columns together. For those who need things spelled out, Dear Abbey makes these columns up, perhaps "based on a true story," but very loosely based, if at all. We used to set the stories in galleys, ready to go, well in advance of publication, so we had free time to handle breaking news or timely editorials and still fill the news hole.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Huh?

erin's picture

The fact that you got them well in advance does not prove anything about the origin of the letters. Those things are unrelated causally.

A lot of Abby's letters were heavily edited by staff for clarity and comprehension but I don't believe very many of them were out and out made up. It just wouldn't make sense. Tons of letters poured in, constantly. Why go to the trouble of inventing something that is as common as yellow hounds with floppy ears? Agony columns have existed since newspapers cost a ha'penny and very few of them had to make up any large fraction of their content.

My brother drew cartoons for an information please/whistleblower column for the local paper when he was in high school/college and they never lacked for fresh material, though they did edit and rewrite some of the queries. Nationwide agony columns would have to have an endless supply.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

When one has a note signed Worried in Albuquerque...

Puddintane's picture

and the next day's column has another letter, supposedly from a reader, that says, "Worried in Albuquerque should dump the guy." one is either in a time warp or someone is introducing a "fudge factor."

These types of letters are, in fact, related. I have no idea whether she still does this, and the letters I see in a quick perusal of recent columns are all direct replies, but Dear Abbey started in the San Francisco Chronicle, so I'm very familiar with its original format. Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City started out in the Bay Area as well, for a while in a little Marin weekly, but it moved to the SF Chronicle as well, where it quickly became a *must* read feature, because most of the characters were real people with different names, so everyone played guessing games about who was who. The City in question was always San Francisco, Baghdad by the Bay, never call it "Frisco."

In the olden days, when she first started out, she had a chatty style in which readers would supposedly write in and comment on other reader's letters to Dear Abbey (Yes, she eventually changed the spelling), to which she would make further reply, possibly in imitation of Herb Caen's column.

In all the years I did this, I never once set the next week's sports scores or business news (more's the pity), but only the agony aunts and horoscopes. What, did they print the "real" columns in Podunk, and then trickle out the duplicates two to four weeks later to everyone else? Is there a mysterious town, somewhere in America, which was the "real" USA in microcosm, inflated though quantum interaction into the reality we seem to be a part of? The problem with this notion is that I lived where she started writing, and am moderately sure that she didn't have syndicated outlets in the early days. They came dated, in order, just like comic strips.

Dagwood had misunderstandings and adventures with Blondie and Mr Dithers too. Do we suppose that Dagwood was *really* surprised? Predestination only goes so far when some select few individuals are in on the joke. I suppose that if a cockroach named Archie can talk to an ordinary reporter, God can talk to a Linotype operator, but I do wish he would have sent me the next week's trifecta at Belmont Park or Golden Gate Fields.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

It just shows that Linotype Operators

Don't know everything about the newspaper business. The fact that the columns arrive witb plenty of lead time indicates that the letters being addressed are not published in a timely fashion. The quicknes of the "replies" shows that different markets do get different products. In the early days of those columns, both women actually worked for individual newspapers. The letters were published in columns that ran in those newspapers first, then perhaps rewritten, edited, bundled, and submitted to the syndication service. So, yes, it was/is possible for the letters to have been seen and responded to prior to local publication.

And syndication services offer levels of service, depending on how much a newspaper can pay. While I don't specifically know this regarding advice columns, I find it quite likely that the big newspapers that print several million total daily editions get a newer, fresher product containing more letters than the small town daily that has a print run of 25-35,000.

Sign me just another old newsie, except I worked in the newsroom, not the back shop.

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Perhaps you didn't read my note.

Puddintane's picture

We got them, and they ran, at roughly the same time they were running across six miles of San Francisco Bay, which was the home of her column at the time, and the people who paid her salary. I read the SF Chronicle every day, and was well aware of what the "big dailies" were running. We had operators and printers who worked for both papers, so was well aware of that went on at the Chronicle. My father was the general manager of the paper I worked on, and the owner was a friend of the family, so I wasn't exactly out of the loop. In the local trade, it was common knowledge that she "spiced up" the column with imaginary letters from time to time, which might possibly have been modelled after letters that she'd previously received, but weren't, in fact, direct replies. She was a columnist, not a news reporter, and her job was entertainment, not maintaining an accurate record of her voluminous correspondence.

I see, in fact, that the new Abby also runs replies, just as her mother did, so the format hasn't changed:

DEAR ABBY: Your answer to "Minneapolis Commuter,"
DEAR ABBY: I just had to respond to "Daddy Who Cares,"

Ann Landers does the same, so it must be a proven business model.

The letters all bear signs of extensive editing, models all of concision and clarity, so they certainly aren't an an accurate representation of the US population, and to my ear, sound suspiciously similar in diction and word choice. Perhaps I'm just being cynical. One gets that way with age and experience.

And in the spirit of fun, here's yet another advice column, penned by a fellow who doesn't even bother to read his letters, if any, having developed, over the years, an "extensive network" of informants who tell him what people *would* be writing, if only they had the time.

http://rothkopf.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/05/29/dear_jers...

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

That is brilliant

And so very true. I have a few people that I need to show this. Thank you for sharing - Jay
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaym.angelblogs.co.uk/

That which does not kill me only serves to delay the inevitable. My blog => http://jaynemorose.wordpress.com/ <= note new address

So Perceptive

joannebarbarella's picture

As I read, I thought you were writing the story of my life, with a couple of minor differences. You spoke of the feeling that you were the only male in the world who thought he was a girl.

Oh, how I know that feeling, the only difference being that I was feeling it ten years earlier than you, some fifty years ago.

Getting married seemed to be the solution. The girl you loved would enable you to be "cured" of this weirdness, and then it didn't happen. Like you I took all the clandestine opportunities to dress as I would have liked to be, and still do, on occasion.

Unlike you I never did come out to my wife.

And so the world goes. I cannot bring myself to inflict the pain, hurt, embarrassment and scorn by association on my loved ones that would happen if I now exposed my true self.

Yet all is not bad. I watch my grandchildren grow up, knowing they never would have been had I taken the other path, and I think, maybe the next time around.

Thank you so much for that fine letter. As another commenter said, it should be compulsory reading,
Joanne

My Story Retold

Just like many other readers, this reads like my own story. Except my wife did not take the time to process the info. When she discovered my secret I was out on the street and then divorced as quickly as possible. I had tried to tell her many times in the past about my need to crossdress, but each time was preceeded by a comment from her about the "SHims" she read about in the paper, or saw on TV. always followed with some smart remark about how perverse they were. She is very bigoted in this. My first thought was to send her a copy of Patricia's letter, but my current wife would be very upset.

Ditto to all of the other comments.

Thank you.

Danielle