Acidalia 16

Printer-friendly version

Acidalia XVI
By Amanda D

Quantico Marine base Thursday Sept 7th 8:30 am:

On the monitor in his office, he watched as General Angelo Kings car pulled up to the gate at Marine base Quantico right as scheduled. Colonel Sa’heed had relieved the usual guards on duty at this time of day and replaced them with men that could be trusted in an attempt to keep news the Commandants arrival as low key as possible. How you can keep a secret like that on a base containing eleven hundred personal and God only knew how many cameras was anyone’s guess but he had to try. The Colonel already had the cameras at the gate recording abilities disabled, temporarily of course, if things went right, he would also have to remove all footage of Kings movements on the base security servers. There was too much of a risk in the wrong someone finding out the details of today’s meeting for him to take chances.

A few minutes later the General’s car came to a stop in front of his office in command headquarters. Sa’heed was waiting outside in the bright early morning sunshine listening to the birds sing as the driver pulled into the VIP parking spot in front of the building. The Colonel walked over to the passenger’s side rear door as the tall middle aged General as climbing out. It was odd to him to see King looking so old. They had been friends in military college and although they’d seen each other many times since, Roberts mental image King was always going to be a large burly twenty-five-year-old senior with a bushy black beard.

“Good morning, General. Thank you for taking the time to come here personally. I trust your trip went well.” Sa’heed said in greeting.

“The trip as fine thankyou Robert. It’s good to see you again. It’s been too long.” General King replied warmly as the two men shook hands.

“You look well. Country living certainly agrees with you.”

“As do you, my friend. It’s good to see the nation’s problems haven’t worn on you too harshly.”

“If only that were true my friend.” King replied wistfully. “Things are far worse these days than is generally known. With the way some people in Washington are acting it makes me wonder if we deserve to survive this.”

Sa’heed nodded. “Shall we go inside where we can talk more privately?”

“Yes. Excellent idea.” The General told the Colonel. He then turned to his driver and told him, “Feel free to head to the mess hall for some coffee and breakfast Ron. I might be a while. I’ll call you when I’m ready to head back.”

“Yes, Sir General.” The driver replied.

“This way then, sir.” The colonel told him as he held open the command center door and ushered the general into the airconditioned coolness inside.

“My office is just down this way, Sir.” Sa’heed said as he led the general down the hallway opposite the doors.

A few moments later the pair arrived at the base commander’s office. After a brief greeting to Sa’heed secretary the two retired to the colonel office proper and closed the door.

“Would you like some coffee or something to drink?” Robert offered.

“No thank you. Too much caffeine messes with my stomach something awful. A glass of water will be fine.”

The Colonel poured himself a cup of coffee then grabbed a bottle of water from the small fridge beneath the coffee maker. He handed it to King then settled into his chair behind the desk.

“So, Robert what have you dragged me all the way down here to discuss?” King asked as he took a seat.

Sa’heed looked at the Commandant for a long moment unsure how to start. There was so much riding on this conversation, everything from the fate of the nation to, perhaps even his own career if King remained unconvinced when they were done.

Drawing a deep breath Sa’heed told him simply. “Carla Ryson is our custody.”

To say that statement floored the general would be a vast underestimation. Of all the things he though Sa’heed had to tell him that was the very last. “Carla Ryson is here? On base? In your custody?” was all he could muster.

“Yes sir. She surrendered herself to me two days ago.”

“Two days? Colonel this is a serious breach of protocol. That woman is wanted by every law enforcement department in the country, and you have her here?” King said recovering from the shock and becoming angry.

“I know General. That’s why I had to ask you to come here so I could explain in person.” Sa’heed replied.

“I think you better get to that explanation then Colonel.” King demanded.

The base commander took another deep breath and began. “Two days ago, Dr. Ryson surprised me with a call to my home. She begged me to come meet her before I turned her in. I was resistant at first but eventually she convinced me that there would be no harm in waiting an hour to call the authorities. After I arrived, she told me an incredible story of being kidnapped and taken to a farmhouse here in Virginia owned by a man named Phillip Bastion. According to the doctor Bastion was involved with some kind of domestic terrorist organization. It was through that organization that he was able to orchestrate her kidnapping.”

The General nodded. “Go on Robert. I’m listening.” His hands were folded under his chin.

The use of his first name put the Colonel somewhat more at ease and he continued. “With the help of the woman this Bastion was planning to use to kill the doctor, she managed to escape. Bastion himself along with several others including her would be assassin were all killed according to Dr. Ryson. By some miracle the doctor was able to make good her escape in one of the cars on the property after having to kill a member of the group with it.”

Sa’heed reached into his desk and pulled out a folded slip of paper and handed it to General King. “That is the registration of the car she escaped in.”

King accepted it and began to unfold. He glanced down at it and was once again thunderstruck by the name on it. “Davis Carlyle? The White House chief of staff? How? What?”

“I know it’s hard to swallow but somehow the president’s Chief of Staff was there, as a witness perhaps, for Ryson’s execution. She told me where she parked the car when she arrived back in Quantico. I sent some people to the hotel lot to retrieve it, but it was already gone. Logic says Mr. Carlyle had someone clean up his mess.”

“Yes, if this is what she claims then he’d need that. He doesn’t know she’s here?”

“No sir. Only the two of us and the 4 guards that have been protecting the doctor know she’s on base.”

“Robert, I admit her having this is very curious but it certainly not proof of any kind of wrongdoing on his part.” King said. “Even if she’s telling the truth there isn’t any way we can proceed without some kind of concrete proof.”

“I know that sir. Once we found the car was missing, I did a little online research and found a house about twenty miles from here owned by a Howard Bastion. Howard was a very wealthy man before his death several years ago and according to records had a son named Philip. I felt that was justification enough to have one of my people fly a reconnaissance drone over the property, just to look it over.”

“Did the drone find anything?”

“No sir. Just that the property appeared to be abandoned from the air. I had another send it after dark and no lights were apparent from inside the house itself. With that I decided the house must be empty and pushing my luck a little further wouldn’t hurt anything. The morning I sent a reconnaissance team there to investigate her claims on the ground.”

“You sent a team there? I assume this Bastion was nowhere to be found when they arrived?”

“There wasn’t anyone there, sir. Carla said there had been a gun fight in the back yard of the residence by the tree line, so I had them check for any signs of one. They found several bullets encased in the tree trunks at the end of the yard and a few more in the dirt in the lawn. They also found bit of what they believed to be blood on some of the stones in the gravel driveway. I had some of the samples sent over to the base hospitals for analysis. The blood came back as human. It was then DNA matched to a man named Carlos Viera. Mr. Viera did sometime at Ryker’s Island prison back east several years ago for sexual assault on an elderly woman.”

The General looked thoughtfully at the registration. Robert could see the wheels turning in his head.

“I’m not sure what to make of all this Robert. I can see you’ve done your homework and that you obviously believe the doctor’s story. I just can’t wrap my head around why the chief of staff would be mixed up with a group like you describe. What would be the benefit to him? It’s not like he’s a trained undercover agent or anything. And if he were on some kind of mission from the president trying to ferret the group out surly the FBI or some law enforcement agency would be in on it too, if for nothing else logistical support and evacuation if things went wrong. If the mission, even one this covert had gone tits up, we’d surely have heard something internally at least by now. The car being taken would have been reported too, but it wasn’t. The secret service would have been all over that if it was. God only knows what kind of information these politicians carry around with them. Finding that car would have been their highest priority and they’d have informed every branch of law enforcement and the military in an effort to find it.” King said as he continued to turn the information over and over in his mind.

The General knew he was missing something. It seemed like there was an obvious link here staring him straight in the face that kept dancing just out of reach. Robert watched him mull silently as King studied the registration slip.

More thinking out loud than talking to Sa’heed, general said “Why would a top Whitehouse official be consorting with a terrorist group like this one? They aren’t doing covert things to help the president slip around the law. Ryson was in no danger of being found not guilty. If anything, kidnapping the doctor made the government look even more foolish. Everything about the situation is counter intuitive to what would be in Fuller’s best interests. Matter of fact I’d say they were intentionally…..” The General stopped midsentence. His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree as an idea occurred to him. “Son of a bitch! The god damned son of a bitch. That it. That explains so much.”

“What does sir?” The colonel inquired.

“We’ve suffered military defeat after defeat lately. Seemingly good intel suddenly gone bad at every turn. It happened at the Alaska pipeline. It happened again during the Canadian invasion. Our attempts to repel the UN blockades have been a gigantic failure too. It didn’t make any sense how we could be so wrong on every front all of a sudden but now, now my friend if I’m right, it makes perfect sense.”

“What does General?”

“That son of a bitch must be planning a coup or something. At the very least he’s doing everything he can to make sure Fuller isn’t in office for much longer. Certainly not after November for sure.” King said with a newfound surety in his voice.

“A coup? How?” Sa’heed asked not sure he was following the generals train of logic.

“Not with the military’s help that’s for sure. None of the joint chiefs are in on it. Of that, I’m positive. We’ve all been banging out heads together for the last few weeks trying to figure out why our best strategies have been so ineffectual against vastly inferior enemies. He must be working with others inside the administration to undermine the national confidence in the president, possibly in an attempt to get him to resign or maybe give congress reason to oust him.”

“If your right we have to tell someone.”

“Yes.” King replied distractedly as he continued to consider the situation. “Normally I’d go to the secretary of defense. However, if this really is a coup attempt by one of the president’s cabinet members who’s to say they’re not all in on it?”

“Considering President Fullers speech, the other day I think it’s safe to say the secretary of state is still on his side. Maybe she’s the one to contact” Sa’heed said.

“It would raise red flags all over Washington if I were to ask to speak to Secretary Constantine on my own. There are channels and if I bypass them, I might as well hold up a sign saying I know what the rest of you are up to.”

“Why not go to Fuller himself then?” The Colonel asked.

“Blake has the joint chiefs cock blocked from direct access to Fuller. No military personnel are allowed to make an appointment to see the president without going through defense first.” King explained.

“How odd.” Sa’heed said.

“Yes. Suddenly everything that’s gone on since the outbreak smells extremely fishy. The bigger question is even if we are right and can inform Fuller will it make any difference? The countries faith in him they’ve sought to undermine, is at a historic low for a sitting president over his handling of the virus and the blockade. The House is set to impeach him and with the way public sentiment is leaning, the senate just may go along with them. There’s a fairly good chance he’s on his way out of office anyway before we even get to November.” King told him counting each issue on his fingers as he listed them.

“Be that as it may, General, those are constitutional ways of removing a sitting president. A coup like what seems to be in the works would be anything but lawful. If Carlyle and his cronies, whoever they may be, were to oust President Fuller all our constitutional protections would be out the window. We must find a way to prove your theory one way or the other.” Robert replied.

King sat thinking before he replied. “Here’s what we’re going to do. Make a copy of the registration. Keep the original someplace locked up safe. I will take the copy to Blake. I’ll present myself as a loyal soldier and tell him the truth that we have Dr. Ryson in custody and that she had it in her possession when she was captured.”

“Won’t that be putting the doctor at tremendous risk?” Sa’heed asked not sure he liked the general’s idea thus far.

“Yes, but I trust your people are up to the task of protecting her. Be sure to only use those who are completely loyal to you to guard her, Robert. If what we suspect is true, we’re playing for all the marbles here.”

“Yes, Sir. That shouldn’t be a problem. I assume you think he’s in on this the way you’re talking.” Sa’heed suggested.

“The way I see it he will either be as shocked as we were about the discovery and take me to see Fuller or he’ll show his hand by ordering Ryson transferred somewhere out of our supervision.”

“And if he does the latter?”

“Then you’ll need to arrange for her “escape” and take her someplace safe until we can see the forces rallied against us and figure out our next step.”

“What about you, Sir? If he’s in on this too what’s to stop them from coming after you if the suspect you’re not as loyal as you present?”

“Robert,” King looked his old friend directly in the eye “this is the most dangerous game there is. Whatever the plot is it needs to be smoked out one way or another. We pledged to give our lives in defense of the country if need be. I consider defending a sitting president form a coup as worthy of my life as any other battlefield.”

“So, to be clear, I’m to wait and watch to see what happens to you and then act on those actions?”

“Exactly Colonel. Either Blake will help ferret out those involved, or he’s part of the problem.”

“I sincerely hope he’s not.”

“Me too, Robert. Me too.” King said with a sigh.

****************************

Tuesday Sept 11th. Wyoming

The trip after leaving California had gone fairly smoothly. Nevada and Utah had passed by without incident. That changed however not long after the Sisters crossed the Wyoming state line. After about an hour after seeing the Welcome to Wyoming sign on the highway a tire on Nicole’s RV had blown, forcing the small caravan to pullover on the side of the road. Even that had been ok until a Wyoming state trooper stopped to see if they needed help. That’s when things started going quickly downhill.

At first, he seemed friendly enough and willing to help the handful of women with the tire, even though none of them asked for his help. Then Warren came out of the motor home he’d been riding in with Mia and Sam. That’s when the officers attitude began to change. The sight of one man traveling with five women, one minor and a baby you caused a big change in the officer’s attitude. It was obvious that the idea didn’t sit well with him. Or perhaps he recognized Warren from all the publicity he’d received after being accused of shooting the news woman in San Francisco at the start of the outbreak. Either way, they could see the cops’ hackles were up. Not long after the revelation he excused himself and walked back to his car and got on his radio.

Not liking the look of the situation, Ellie had turned to Nicole. “We need to go.” She told the tall red head urgently.

“I know we do but it’s not like we can’t just leave the RV here on the side of the road, flat tire and all and drive off. If he’s a little suspicious now imagine what would happen if we did that? He’d have us all in cuffs in five minutes.” Nicole replied worriedly.

“If we stay, he’ll have us in them within ten.” Ellie retorted.

“Yeah.” Nicole said as she tried to think of a solution. “Why don’t you and Wendy grab Mia, Sam and the baby and get out of here. Carol, Warren and I can play the happy little family and maybe get him to buy it. After we’re done with the tire Warren can drive Mia’s and follow me to meet up with you guys somewhere up the road.”

Ellie looked up at her oldest friend. “I guess a bad plan is better than no plan at all.”

“We are really good at bad plans though.” Nicole laughed.

“Yes, we are.” Ellie said smiling.

For the briefest of moments, it felt like maybe everything was going to be alright. It had been days since Nicole has seen the short sandy blond haired leader smile. The moment passed far too quickly when the officer returned from his car with his gun drawn.

Pointing it at Ellie he shouted. “You get down on the ground!” He turned and looked at Warren. “You two. You’re both under arrest for outstanding federal warrants. The rest of you stay right where you are. We’re all going wait here nice and calmly until my back up arrives.”

Nicole was horrified at the idea of Ellie or Warren being taken in. After what had happened to most of their people post military raid the tall red head had a fear of incarceration. She watched closely as Ellie and Warren both got down on their knees and the laid flat on their bellies. The cop stepped over to Ellies prone body and snapped handcuffs on both of her wrists. Pulling her to her feet more roughly than necessary in Nicole’s opinion he brought her to where Warren was waiting and attempted to repeat the process. His attention on the rest of them slipped for a moment as he tried to fish a second set of cuffs out of the pouch on his belt. That was the opportunity she’d been waiting for and with no hesitation, jumped into action.

“Wendy! Grab El and Warren!” Nicole yelled as she dove at the officer, knocking him away from the pair. He went down hard. Before he knew what hit him, she rolled to her feet and lifted him up with one arm and bounced him hard off the trunk of his cruiser, knocking the wind out of him. At the same moment Wendy scooped up his two would be prisoners and started heading to the lead motor home. She was nearly there when three more state police cars came to a screeching halt, one stopping between her and her refuge.

“Alright, you stay where you are and drop them.” The officer on the driver’s side shouted as he hoped out.

Wendy dropped her two charges as instructed. Before the cop could say another word, she attacked the car. Ducking her head, the giant new woman hit the passenger’s side of the car like a runaway train. It rocked hard to the side lifting two tires off the ground and sending the driver sprawling. Wendy used the momentum to lift the car and roll it over onto the driver’s side and onto the roof, upending the vehicle. Without any hesitation she turned to the next car but before she could move the cops inside had both their guns drawn and aimed at her. Understanding her abilities ended somewhere short of being bullet proof the silent giant stopped and put her hands up.

Nicole on the other hand was still behind them, she rushed the car from an oblique angle catching the passenger’s side cop with a classic WWE clothesline while simultaneously sliding sideways across the roof and catching the one on the driver’s side with her foot.

Clamoring back to her feet, Ellie watched her old friend. She’d never witnessed Nicole, or for that matter Wendy, cut loose with their abilities like they were now. It was a terrifyingly beautiful thing to see. Her admiration came to an abrupt end as the pair of officers from the final car sized her from behind and one pointed his gun at her head. Being still in the handcuffs the diminutive new woman was defenseless.

“Alright!” One of them shouted waiving his firearm in the air. “Enough of that foolishness! All of you, on the ground face down. You with the baby sit on the hood of the car.”

The whole group looked at him. His compatriot’s gun was aimed in their general direction. They were all going to be taken in once their fellow officers recovered or more arrived. Once that happened the gig was up. They’d be identified and brought back to California to face whatever justice Colonel Jordon had for them.

“Shit.” Nicole whispered under her breath. Then to Wendy said, “We need to get everyone we can out of here right now.”
Wendy pointed at Ellie.

“I know but we can’t save her right now. It’s more important we get everyone else to safety then we can figure out how to rescue El.” She told the behemoth. Wendy shook her head no.

The sound of sirens could be heard in the distance.

“Hear that? That’s more police on the way and we’re not going to catch them by surprise like we did this bunch. We have no choice. I’ll distract them and you grab Sam and the baby, the rest will follow into those woods back there. I’ll bring up the rear.” Nicole told her.
By the look on her face Nicole could see Wendy wasn’t in love with the plan but she nodded her assent. The tall red head nodded back then took two steps towards the panic-stricken cops holding Ellie.

“You stay back!” The officer demanded as she took a third step in his direction.

“On the ground now!” He demanded.

Seeming to do as he ordered Nicole got down on one knee. In one swift motion she grabbed a handful of dirt and tossed it at the cop before he was able to react. In that same moment Wendy scooped up Sam and the baby and bolted for the woods with Mia, Warren and Carrol following as quickly as they could.

“Hey! Stop!” The second officer shouted as he raised his gun. Nicole started for him, but he saw her and swung it back in her direction.
Mouthing the word sorry to Ellie, she turned and hurried after the others as gun shots rang out behind her. She thanked God that he had terrible aim as she dove for the cover of the trees grateful for being uninjured. A bullet pinged off a tree near her as she turned and took one last look back at Ellie then hurried off through the underbrush to catch up with the others.

Ellie watched her friends running off without her as even more police arrived. She understood it was the smart move intellectually but, in her heart, she felt betrayal at their retreat. She didn’t have time to watch them for long as rough hands grabbed her and stuffed her into the rear seat of the police cruiser.

“Hey! Be careful. I break.” she complained.

“You’re lucky we don’t break something after all that shit.” The officer said angrily as he strapped her into the seat. The petite new woman sat in the back of the cruiser and fumed as she started through the metal caging.

The five of them ran though the surprisingly dense wood with Wendy in the lead. The hulk of a new woman bulldozed a path through the underbrush as the rest followed with Nicole bringing up the rear. After several minutes they stopped in a small grassy clearing. They were all out of breath and baby Sara was screaming. Sam did her best to comfort the poor thing while the others with the exception of Nicole panted.
The red head kept her eye on the way they had come trying to think of what to do next when Mia came over to her and pushed her hard.
Wagging her finger at both Nicole and Wendy she yelled “What the hell was that shit? What were you two thinking? You attack police officers on the side of the highway? What the hell is wrong with the two of you? What could you have possibly hoped to accomplish? Other than get every cop in the state of Wyoming on our ass!”

Nicole stepped up and gave Mia a shove back. “In case you didn’t notice we were trying to save Ellie!” she shouted back.

“Well, that went well, didn’t it?” Carol added in sarcastically. “Where is she? Don’t answer I’ll tell you. She with the cops now! That’s where she is!”

“We….I…didn’t think…” Nicole stuttered.

“No, you didn’t think at all.” Mia chimed back in. “You better do some thinking now though Nicole. What are we going to do? Not only is Elli gone but everything we own is now in the hands of the Wyoming state patrol. We don’t even have a change of diapers for Sara. Not that we can just waltz into eh local pharmacy and buy some cause…oh ya…we left all our money in the RVs too. Not to mention we’re going to be on the state most wanted list in about five minutes.”

“Mom, I don’t think any of that is being helpful right now.” Sam said to Mia.

“No one gives a flying fuck what you think!” Carol shouted before Mia could reply. “It your fuckin fault were even here to start with! You did this! All of it! Everything that’s happened is your fucking fault!”

“Carol!” Mia yelled back.

“Fuck you too Mia.” The preteen yelled back. “Your just as fucking bad. If you hadn’t turned us in, we’d still be back in San Fran instead of on the fucking run!”

Losing her temper Nicole shouted “All right. That’s enough! None of you are being helpful. Least of all me or Wendy! We’re in this situation and we need to deal with it, or we’re screwed. Now how about we put aside blaming each other for everything thing that’s gone wrong an put our heads together and figure how we out it right.”

They all looked at Nicole in varying states of shock. Never had she lost her temper like that with the group and seeing her in that state had exactly the effect she was hoping for.

After a moment Warren said. “The first thing we need to do is find a place to hold up. The police will be on our trial before long. Probably with dogs in tow. This only just happened so we’re safe for a short time until they get more reinforcements. The beating the got at the hands of Nicole and Wendy is sure to give them pause about chasing after us in anything less than a full force.”

They nodded all in agreement.

“Ok first question is, does anyone know where we are?” Sam asked. She glowered at Carol and the young girl returned the look uncompromisingly.

Nicole caught the exchange and shook her head. “Going to have to do something about the two of them soon before they kill each other.” She thought to herself.

“That is an excellent question Sam.” Nicole replied. “The last road sign I saw was Evanston two miles not long before my tire blew.”

“Evanston is a fairly large town if I remember correctly.” Carol told them. I passed through there a couple years go on a sales trip.”

“OK. That’s good. The bigger the place the easier it will be to blend in. And that’s most likely where they’ll bring Ellie too.” Warren noted.

“Good. Let’s hope your right Warren. Next order of business is money. What do we have on hand?” Nicole asked.

Wendy fished her pockets and handed Nicole a small pile of bills. Nicole counted it out. “Well, that will certainly help. Wendy had two hundred dollars to add to the forty-five I have. What else do we have?”

“I have twenty.” Mia told them.

“And I have another fifty.” Sam added.

“Excellent. Carol how about you?”

The small girl shrugged. “You know us kids. Can’t be trusted with cash.” She joked humorlessly.

Nicole nodded. “Well at least we’re not completely broke. Ok Evanston is east of us so were going to need to get going in that direction somehow. Being in these woods is going to make that hard but I don’t think finding a road to follow in the open is going to really be an option.
Anyone have a compass by any chance?’

They all looked at each other.

“Ya that’s kind of what I thought.” Nicole laughed sarcastically.

In the distance the sound of shouting voices could be heard.

That’s probably our new best friends.” Mia said. “We should probably get moving.”

“Good idea mom.” Sam added.

To Sam Nicole said. “Let me take the baby. She’ll be far less of burden for me to carry. Warren, you take lead. Wendy, you bring up the rear. Let’s move everyone unless you want to be cellmates.

*****************
Ellie

The interrogation room was small with grey painted cinderblock walls, a large two-way mirror dominated the one next to the doorway. It was too dark in the hallway outside for Ellie to see who, if anyone, was watching her. Not that there was much to watch with her cuffed to a small heavy looking wooden table which seemed to be bolted to the floor. Unless of course you enjoyed watching the vaguely ammonia smell of the place making her nose twitch.

She supposed they were letting her “cool her heels” as they used to say in the old cop shows in tv. After being bought to the stationhouse. They’d taken her directly to this room and she’d not seen anyone since. So, she sat and fumed over being stuck here, over the way the others abandoned her and ran away, over the decline of the sisters and mostly over the unfairness of it all. She knew the rage she felt in her heart was well in excess of what the situation called for, but she was helpless to quell it.

The rage had been with her since the night the army raided their warehouse. The sight of those who had followed her and the ones they were trying to help being taken away in chains had been so incredibly painful to witness as she herself was scurried away to safety. The whole incident had felt to her as if God herself had betrayed them. Later when she found that betrayal had a more earthly source in the form of Vera, Ellie was shocked and angry beyond words. Vera’s refusal come to Ellie to admit her part in the raid, despite being given several days to do so, had only served to further enrage the new woman. Finally, she couldn’t take Vera’s lies of omission anymore and had Wendy deal with the portly traitor. Ellie had hoped that Vera’s punishment would give her some solace, but she’d received none. If anything, it had only added to her burden of anger she carried. Not that she regretted what had been done but Nicole’s constant questioning looks since the discovery of Vera’s body was another thing for her to worry about piled on top of the already stress filled situation, they were in. The last thing she wanted was to push her best friend away, but it seemed no matter what she did to correct things, the divide between them only grew wider.

For the first time in many weeks, she bowed her head and prayed to God for guidance. She’s barely begun when the heavy steel door creaked open. A very tall heavy-set man wearing black colored jeans with a light brown button up top that sported a big star badge on it. The man took a seat opposite Ellie and set his large dark colored cowboy hat on the table revealing a receding hair line. His large moustache matched his bushy eyebrows, add to that his darkly tanned and deeply lined skin, he looked like the epitome of an old-time western sheriff.

He looked at her for several seconds before he began. “Mr. Wolf my name is…..”

“Mister?” Ellie asked cutting off. “Do I look like a mister to you?”

“Your name is Elijah Wolf is it not?” He asked with a touch of irritation at being interrupted.

“My name is Ellie Wolf. Elijah is dead and buried for several months now.” She told him ignoring his tone.

“Yes…Well Ms. Wolf” He began again looking at her. Ellie nodded her ascent. “My name is LT Carl Sanders.”
Ellie nodded again.

“You’re under arrest today for an outstanding federal warrant as well as assault on three Wyoming State troopers.”

“I never assaulted anyone.” She told him.

“Your accomplices certainly did and since they are currently still at large you get to take the wrap for it unless you’re willing to help us track them down.” He told her matter of factly.

She laughed. “That was about as poor a threat as the come colonel.”

“I’m a lieutenant.” He corrected.

She nodded.

“Anyway, even if I wanted to help you track them down, how would I accomplish that from in here exactly? Do you think we’re psychically connected or something?” She asked in a voice dripping with sarcasm.

“That attitude isn’t going to help you any.”

“Colonel, you seem to think that somehow, I’m going to be intimidated by you and your little set of trumped-up charges but I’m not stupid. The government is going to have me taken out of your jurisdiction long before I see the inside of one of your state court houses. So how about we cut the bull shit. I want a lawyer before I speak to you again and you’d be best served to get on the phone with the fed’s and let them know you have me before they find out and end your career.”

LT. Sanders’s face turned red as a beat as he informed her “If we don’t tell them we have you then they will never know. Or at least we can hold you a good long while before we tell them. I’m sure the boys in in the lock up would love to make your acquaintance.”

“I’m sure their lawyers would love to hear how you put an Acidalia patient in a holding cell with men. I’m sure that wouldn’t cost the state too much in lawsuits. I’d even go so far as to bet your superiors would probably thank you.” She replied smugly. “As a matter of fact, I’m kind of surprised you chose to come in here and sit with me without any protection. Perhaps your harboring secret desires you hide from your family like I did for so many years. Truth’s you’re afraid to admit for fear they’d reject you. I lived that lie for a long time myself Colonel, but you have nothing to fear from me. I’ve helped a lot of people like you, and I’d be happy to assist you in freeing your true self too. All you need to do is sit and talk with me a while and in a few days your heart felt desire will come true.”

He gave her a stony stare as Ellie smiled sweetly at him. Without another word stood up to leave.

“Oh, Colonel Sanders, don’t forget my lawyer when you come back, please.” She said with a large sarcastic grin etched on her face.

The door slammed shut behind him. Ellie sat back feeling just a bit satisfied. “Round one to me.” she thought to herself.

Ellie knew that despite putting Sanders in his place, she was still screwed. Going into federal custody was going to mean quarantine for sure, Jordon had pretty much promised her that. Staying in state custody was probably going to land her in a similar kind of place.
“Fucked if you do and fucked if you don’t.” She said quietly to herself.

As it stood, she was surprised that she wasn’t already locked away in one. They obviously knew who she was and her history with Acidalia and yet here she was in a normal interrogation room with no extra precautions being taken.
“Curiouser and curiouser.” She mumbled out loud.

Even though she spoke quietly the mics in the room picked it up flawlessly. Sanders stood watching and listening to her musings though the two-way mirror along with fellow officer Adrian Prescott. Prescott, a tall handsome thirty-five-year-old black man was still chucking at Ellie’s Colonel Sanders remark, much to Carl’s annoyance. Sanders had never much cared for Prescott on a personal level. The two of them had worked together on several occasions and had been shown up by him on every occasion, much to Sander’s displeasure. Any interaction with Prescott set his nerves on edge.

Prescott, himself had very little use for Sanders. His hard ass cowboy act combined with his lazy police work and constant preaching of conspiracy theories drove the younger man up a wall. If it weren’t for him being the son of a state senator Adrian believed Sanders would be sweeping the floors at the local supermarket for a living instead of being a lieutenant in the state police. There had been many theories as to how Sanders made the grade among his fellow officers, none of the charitable.

“Alright already. It wasn’t that funny.” He growled at Prescott who continued to snicker.

“Was from my perspective.” Was the reply he received.

Sanders shot him an angry look.

Seeing he was succeeding pissing Sanders off Adrian couldn’t resist poking the bear one last time. “Well tough guy cop was a bust. What do you want to try now?”

“I don’t think there’s much of anything that we can do that’s going to get her to help us find the others.” Sanders replied glumly.

“She’s tougher than she looks that’s for sure. So, then what? Turn her over to the feds and be done with her?” Prescott asked hopefully.

Despite everything Sander’s was still his superior officer and Prescott was forced to defer to his judgement.
“Or lack thereof.” Prescott thought silently.

“I was thinking more along the lines of sending her to the work farm in Mountain View for a while. Maybe a few days under the tender mercies of warden Osbourne out there is just what she needs. See how high and mighty she thinks she is after that.” Sanders told him.

“Are you serious? She doesn’t deserve that. All we have her for is an outstanding warrant. It was those two other…I don’t know, super women I guess is the best way to describe them, that have the assault and destruction of property charges pending. Just give her over to the feds. We’ll find her pals without her.”

“You don’t get it do you? You saw her in there. The things she said to me. Like I was nothing, pathetic. Marjorie used to treat me like that before she learned her place. That in one in there, she needs to be taught that same kind of lesson. Show who’s boss around here.” Sanders said with embarrassed venom.

“Come on Carl, knock that shit off. You went in there being all tough guy and all she did was play off your lead. It’s not her fault you looked like a fool in there. You did that to yourself thinking she’d be scared of you or whatever. Let’s go. I’m going to give the state marshal’s office a call and have them arrange to take her of our hands.” Adrian told him as he started to walk away.

Sanders scowled at him.

“While at it you better go get yourself tested. It was pretty stupid of you to go in there without protection.”

“Ahh I don’t believe in all that crap they say on the tv. That Acidalia thing is just a big ol hoax. I saw it on the internet. How the government is using it as an excuse to suspend our freedoms. That “girl” in there is probably one of those transtestical things those lefty assholes are always sticking in our faces. Trying to say that kind of stuff is normal, and they should be treated like us normal folks. I don’t believe any of it.”
“I believe the word is transexual Carl. And if it’s fake then why does everyone need to be tested every week?” Prescott asked incredulously.
“The internet says it’s one of those false flag…..” Sanders began but when he looked back all he saw was the door to Prescott’s office closing. Shrugging he turned back and continued to watch Ellie.

*****************

Nicole

The trek through the woods was harder and shorter than the group had originally believed. The only blessing was baby Sara has slept quietly though the majority of it. What had originally seemed like an endless forest actually turned out to be only about a quarter mile barrier between the highway and good-sized residential neighborhood. Once they discovered the houses the quintet picked their way through the thicket along the border of back yards.

“That one looks empty.” Warren told the group pointing at the two-story blue raised ranch they stood behind.

“Carol you’re the smallest. Go take a peek. See if the coast is clear.” Nicole said to the small girl.

Carol skittered across the back yard an up onto the back deck She peers though the sliding door and saw no movement from inside. Deciding to be bold she gave the doors a few loud knocks. When no one answered after several attempts she tried the door. It was unlocked. She pushed her head in and yelled, “Hello? Anyone home?”

Again, she was met with silence so she turned and waved at the group hidden just beyond the tree line and the Sisters had a temporary hideout.

They all piled into the spacious well-furnished living room and dropped onto whatever chair or couch was closest. As they caught their breath that all looked around, taking in the home they’d just invaded. The living room had a western motif complete with plush leather furniture and three mounted deer heads that hung over a wooden cigar store Indian standing in one corner of the large stone fireplace.

After a few moments Nicole finally said “Nice digs. When you pick a house to break into Carol you go first class.”

Carol smiled at the little joke “Only the finest for you, boss.”

“Boss?” Nicole replied with a laugh.

“Yep, with Ellie gone you’re in charge now far as I’m concerned.” Carol replied seriously. The others all nodded their ascent.

Nicole sighed. “Ok then. Everyone, catch your breath. Since we’re already in for home invasion Sam scout the fridge for something to drink. Carol, look around see if there’s any money laying around anywhere. Mia, watch the baby. Warren, you come with me. I want to check the garage.”

Everyone headed off to their assigned tasks while Mia entertained the baby. Sara could easily be heard cooing happily through the door of mud room that led the attached garage as Nicole and Warren investigated the place. They took the place in. A large work bench dominated one of the car bays, complete with a tool infested peg board on the wall behind it. A couple tall metal cabinets stood next to the bench. The other bay was occupied by a tarp enshrouded vehicle of indistinguishable make from where they stood.

“Might as well take a look.” Warren said as he started feeling for the hooks holding it down.

Nicole stepped over to help and after a few minutes fumbling they managed to expose a nearly showroom quality midnight black Dodge Magnum wagon with darkly tinted windows and spoked midnight black rims that sported slightly oversized tires. It was definitely a car someone loved and took great care of.

“Wow, that’s a beauty.” She marveled.

“It has the hemi in it too.” Warren informed her. “If we can find keys for it not only will we all fit in there, we’ll have a shot at outrunning any cop that happens by.”

“Sure Warren. I guess you’ll want to do the driving too.” She laughed think the car would be good for anything but blending in with the locals. But then again, any port in a storm.

“Me drive? I don’t have a license. Do you?” He asked.’

“Yes I can drive. How is it you never learned? I thought every guy wanted to learn to drive as early as possible.” she asked. “I know I did when I was a teen boy.”

“I’m a city boy. Never had need to learn. There was always a bus or train to take me where I wanted to go.” He explained.

She nodded. “You grew up in Frisco?

“Close. Across the bay in Oakland. I still have an apartment there. Though they’ve probably rented it out by now. The disadvantage of being a fugitive on the run. No time to pay the rent. And you?”

Nicole smiled at him. “I’m an import. I grew up in upstate New York. A little town called Liverpool, right next to Syracuse.”

“What brought you all the way out here?”

She sighed. “I came to San Francisco for the same reason most others come. I came to be myself. Growing up in a small place like that, people tended to be a bit backwards thinking when it comes things like transsexuality. I would….I didn’t look very good dressed as a woman. Never had a chance of passing. There, I was ridiculed constantly. Called a freak and a lot of other things. In San Fran, I was accepted. I still didn’t look good, but no one made fun of me. I met Ellie, Elijah at the time, and she was just so supportive. It was the first time in my life I felt like I wasn’t a weirdo. That it was finally kind of ok to be me. Before Acidalia it was the closest I’d ever come to being happy.”

He took her hand and gave it a squeeze. “It’s good you were able to find peace of mind.”

“It was nothing like what I’ve had since I got infected” She laughed. “But it was better than where I was.”

From the doorway they heard Carol say “Oh cool you found a car.”

Both looked over at her with oddly guilty expressions on their faces. Her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

“Why do you look all guilty and stuff? We’re you two making out or something. Robbi’s gonna be so jealous Warren.” She teased.

The three of them laughed.

“Hey, poke you head back on the other side of the doorway and see if there are keys for this thing hang up somewhere.” Warren asked her.
Carol ducked back into the adjoining room. They could hear her rummaging around for a minute or two before she reappeared dangling a ring with a large key brandishing the dodge logo on it.

“That looks like a winner.” Nicole told her. “Toss it over here.”

“No way Jose. I want to drive.” She said with a large grin on her face.

“Ya. Ok. Like this beast won’t stand out enough.” Nicole giggled.

Carol gave her a mock scowl. “Hey, I was a very good driver I’ll have you know.”

“I’m sure you were before you looked twelve.” Warren joked.

“Twelve? I don’t look a day under thirteen I’ll have you know.” Carol laughed then stuck her tongue out at them both. She tossed Nicole the keys. “All yours boss.”

Nicole rolled her eyes at the name. Hit the unlock then slid behind the wheel and fired the Nomad up with a loud roar. The car obviously had a modified exhaust system that growled like a caged animal as the car idled.

“Jesus. Could it be any louder?” Carol shouted above the din.

Warren shook his head laughing. We’re going to be the very definition of incognito now.”

“Yep. No will see us coming.” Nicole replied. “They’ll hear us from a mile away though.” She shut the engine down. “Let’s go gather Sam, Mia and Sara and get out of here before the owner comes home or the cops start a house-to-house search. For all we know they have this whole neighborhood cordoned off by now.”

Moments later they were back in the living room. Sam had found a variety of liquid refreshments. Everyone grabbed a can or bottle of what suited them best as Mia said. “Found a car huh?”

“What gave you that idea?” Warren asked.

“Oh…I don’t know. A little birdy told me.”

The group laughed.

“Well, it will get us into town. After that though we’re going to need to ditch it. It’s a bit flashy for incognito escapes.” Nicole replied. “Carol did you find any cash?”

“I did.” The youngster replied as she handed Nicole a huge roll of bills.

“Holy shit.” Sam said looking at it.

“Jackpot huh?” Carol replied.

“I’d say. Added to what we have baby Sara will have all the diapers she could ever need.” Warren told them.

“Ok folks. To quote Biff from Back to the Future, let’s make like a tree and get outta here.” Nicole said.
The assemblage groaned as the piled into the car. The garage door rolled up and off they went.

*********
Greyson Labs

Doctor Jackson Ryan, acting head of the CDC in the fight again the Acidalia virus, looked over the lab results on his terminal in amazement. It was only a little over a week ago he’d come to realize one of his lab assistants was actually immune to the virus that had been vexing him for the last several months of his life. Now, however, that he’d begun to explore Harold Rogers biochemistry and how it interacted with the Acidalia virus he was truly impressed.

After spending four days in a quarantine cell here at Greyson with other highly contagious victims of the virus his cells showed no sign of infection whatsoever. Furthermore, there was no trace of the virus to be found anywhere in his body and the good doctor had been very thorough in the testing he’d ordered. The term no stone left unturned had a new definition now.

As delighted with the results as Ryan was, they hadn’t shown him a path to transferring the immunity to others as of yet, but he was certain it was only a matter of time until he ferreted the answer out. Jackson was not a man used to failure and while only he knew how faulty his Acidalia test truly was, it was an untenable embarrassment to him. So determined to beat the bug was he that he’d readily agreed to testing on live victims, where necessary, when asked by Col. Jordon.

He didn’t enjoy doing the things he’d done to innocent patients in the name of saving humanity, but he’d done them anyway. Rogers was just the latest in a long string of things he was going to have to learn to live with after the epidemic ended.

Getting up from his terminal he walked into the sterile room where his meal ticket was strapped to a gurney, naked except a towel strategically place over his nether region. “How are we feeling today, Harrold?” He asked lifting the towel to confirm everything was as it had been on last inspection.

“Still male I see. Excellent.” The doctor went on to his gaged patient. He reached over for a tape measure and with no concern over Roger’s feelings began to measure his penis. He then grabbed a small caliper and used it to measure his patients’ testicles. Rogers muffled cries of pain didn’t even register on Ryan as he went through the daily routine of documenting the physical measurements of the genitals.

“Looking good there Harold. Everything’s still the same as yesterday. I have to say your immunity to the virus, at least on the airborne version is quite impressive.” He told Rogers.

He reached over to the table an picked up a long-needled syringe filled with a slightly amber colored liquid. “Today we’re going to see how you do with the blood born version.” Rogers eyes got very wide, and he began to shake his head violently back and forth, the gg muffling his protests.

“Shhh. There’s no need to get upset Harold. Think of it this way, if your immune to this version too we won’t need to do this to you again and if you’re not, well I guess we won’t need to either. Regardless of the outcome this is the only time you’ll have to go through it. I think that’s something you should be happy about. Now be still, I do not want to have to gas you like the last time.”

The doctor bent down to prep the place on Rogers arm he was planning to inject into. There seemed to be spot the alcohol prep wouldn’t clean so he got closer and tried to scrub the area harder. He was so intent on what he was doing he didn’t notice Roger’s arm coming up and he was caught flush in the nose with an unexpected forearm. The wasn’t a lot of force behind it but getting hit on the tip of your nose hurt no matter how little momentum was behind it. Ryan stood up with tears of pain stinging his eyes and held his nose watching the triumph in the eyes of Harold Rogers.

“Think that was funny, do you? Got yourself a little revenge maybe?” He asked after several moments. His nose still stung but the pain had begun to recede.

“You know Harold, one of the great things about the virus is its ability to heal injuries and correct medical problems.” He told the prone man as he stepped over to the counter. After a short search of the draws the doctor pulled out an electric bone saw. Showing to his victim he squeezed the trigger several times creating a sharp whine from the rotating blade each time.

Harold’s eyes grew wide with fear as Ryan continued. “I’ve often wondered what the extent of the virus’ healing abilities were. Could it, for example, repair broken bones or perhaps, regrow limbs. I think today is the perfect time to try a little experiment. What do you think? Can it regrow, say a toe? What say we take off your big toe and see if the virus can regrow it for you. Now I want you to understand Harold, I don’t want to do this to you, but you need to learn that your life is now over. This is all there is. The sooner you accept that the better things will be for everyone, son. Together we are going to find a cure for the virus. Check that, I’m going to find the cure, you on the other hand, well let’s just say, no one will ever know the pivotal role you played in the research. But don’t let that get you down my boy. Just think of the countless men you’re saving. I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s not generally known but there are far more men, and women for that matter, who die from exposure to the virus than survive the transition. Yes, it’s true. Add to that out of those that survive the suicide rate is somewhere around forty percent. You are literally going to save millions of lives Harold so be of good cheer. I will have someone come look at the foot too.”

**********

Twelve hours later Ryan returned to the lab. It was very late, but he couldn’t sleep anymore. He just had to know whether he was going to be able to proceed as he hoped or not. He was feeling embarrassingly excited, a bit like a five-year-old on Christmas morning. Eventually he decided to give up the ghost and got up, made some coffee, tossed on a pair of sweats and a tee shirt and headed down to the lab. He had expected it to be dark but much to his surprise the place was lit up like it was the middle of a workday. As he punched his access code into the keypad, he could see two of his assistants, Shelia Cochrane and Dennis Furan, working over in one corner through the windows. The pair seemed to be having a rather animated discussion that stopped suddenly as he entered the room.

“Uh oh the boss is here everyone shush up. “He joked. “What are you two up to?”

“Dr. Ryan, we were just discussing the blood test results that got pulled from patient one eight two.” Sheila the short stocky brunette, told him.
Ryan nodded, knowing one eight two was Rogers. “What do we have?”

“What we have is impossible if the research records are accurate. It says here that the patient was injected with Acidalia type one about twelve hours ago.” The rotund Dennis told him.

“Yes, I’m aware of what was done to him. What do the blood tests show?” he asked with a small air of irritation.

“Blood was drawn one hour after injection as they were patching up an injury to the patients foot. It was what you’d expect from someone that was injected with twenty cc’s of infected suspension, chock full of virus.” Shelia reported. “The next sample was taken at the three-hour mark, that one showed only a minor uptick in the viral load. Statistically it was insignificant enough to be considered to be noninfective. Almost as if it only marginally infected the skin cells near the injection point but not reproduced. Now we know based on the quick test we developed that within six hours of infection the virus will settle in the lungs causing all infected patients, male or female, to eventually develop a deep hacking cough. Several tissue samples from different spots on both lungs was taken at the eight-hours after the infection was introduced. There was no sign of the typical lung nodules in the tissue samples that are the typical virial incubators. The blood work done two hours ago and again just now have actually shown a significant and growing decline in viral count. We don’t understand how that is possible.”
“Everything we know about Acidalia and the way it functions inside the male body says this is impossible.” Dennis told him as he pushed his glasses up on the bridge of his nose. “The only thing we’ve been able to come up with is the virus sample must have been weakened somehow before it was injected and is nonviable inside a host.”

“But we checked the lot number and it’s shown one hundred percent infection in every other experiment we’ve used it in. We also put a small sample under the electron microscope with a tissue sample and the virus acted normally infiltrating the live cells almost immediately and reproducing as expected.” Sheila added.

Dr. Ryan nodded again. “So, tell me then, based on the results and your verifications, what’s left to conclude?”

The pair looked at each other nervously. It seemed as if they both wanted to say it but were too afraid of being wrong to take the chance.

“Now, now. You must have a theory.” Ryan said trying to coax the answer out of one of them.

Finally, after a couple more minutes Sheila blurted out “It looks like the patient is possibly immune.”

Jackson smiled with satisfaction and agreed. “The patient is immune.”

“Is it possible? Is there actually a chance that there are males out there that the virus doesn’t affect?” Dennis asked with no small amount of wonder.

“I can’t confirm multiple right now but yes we have found a male that by all appearances seems to be immune to the virus, in both of its forms. This is quite possibly the most important discovery in human history considering the possible threat to our very existence as a species the virus represents. Now that we know it’s possible to resist Acidalia, what we need to do now is find the root of that immunity in order to develop a vaccine and possibly a cure.” Ryan told the pair. “This search will mean a lot of long nights and days, but we are on the cusp. I need to know if the two of you are willing to commit to finding that answer with me.”

They both nodded enthusiastically.

“Excellent, then let’s get started.” Ryan told them.

*********

Col. Jordon was exhausted. In the weeks since being assigned to head the USAMRID’s efforts to contain and hopefully destroy the Acidalia virus sleep had been an ever increasingly elusive thing to find time for. Meetings with scientists, generals, his staff, the president as well as the day to day duties running an operation the size of the one they had going here at Greyson labs were an ongoing and persistent hindrance to any attempt he made to get some shut eye. That lack of sleep had led him to make several bad choices, such as letting Ellie Wolf blackmail him into letting Sam Greyson go. That coupled with letting her two enhanced associates leave had come back to bite him in the ass in more ways than he cared to count.

The brass had been apoplectic over his decision. More than once, he’d heard rumors, they were going to replace him imminently. If that was ultimately their decision, up until a few days ago, he’d have handed over command with a smile to whatever poor slob the assigned to take it from him. That is until Dr. Ryan told him about the immune man. Now there was a realistic possibility of making some progress he wanted nothing more than to stay and see it through to the end.

Sleep, however, was still hard to come by so when the intercom on his desk buzzed startling him out a nap he hadn’t been aware he was taking, he lost his balance, tipping his chair to the point where it sent him crashing to the floor with a loud thud. Before he could scramble to his feet the door burst open. His secretary ran over to him, helping him to his feet and asking “Are you ok? That was quite a crash.”
Jordon got to his feet. “Yes, yes. I’m fine. I dosed off I guess. I didn’t realize it until you chirped the intercom.” He explained with no small amount of embarrassment.

She nodded with sympathy in her eyes. “You need to go lay down Charles. This place will survive a few hours while you sleep. You have good people under your command that can certainly be trusted to keep things going while you rest.”

Col. Jordon had heard this mother hen routine countless times from her before and while it the concern was appreciated his sense of responsibility to the situation made doing as she suggest impossible. “What is it you needed?” he asked trying to ignore her suggestion without making it look like he was ignoring her suggestion.

“Oh” she laughed, letting him off the hook for now. “We received a message from the Wyoming federal marshal’s office asking to speak to you.”

“Federal marshal’s office? What on earth could they possibly want?” he asked impatiently.

“I guess you’ll have to pick up the phone and ask them yourself, sir. They are on hold on line three.” She told him as she walked out and closed the door behind her.

Jordon brushed himself off for a moment then took a swig out of the ice-cold coffee in the cup that had somehow stayed upright during his fall before gathering his chair and taking a seat. He picked up the phone, punched the line number and said without preamble “Jordon here.”

“Yes Colonel, my name is Francis Reed. I’m with the US Marshal service here in Wyoming. We received a call from one of our state police barracks not long ago. They picked up a woman on a federal warrant issued by your office. The woman goes by the name of Ellie, formerly Elijah, Wolf. We are scheduled to pick her up from the station tomorrow morning. We want to arrange extradition back to California and since it’s your warrant we wanted to know where to send her.”

Jordon looked at the phone stunned. Wolf had made it all the way to Wyoming before they caught her. How in the world has she managed that? She was obviously far more resourceful than he realized. Where in the world had she been going, he wondered.

“Officer Reed, first off thank you for contacting me on this. Capturing her has removed on of the greatest threats to our nation off the board. You are aware Mr. Wolf is an Acidalia victim yes? There’s a very good chance she may be contagious.”

“Yes Colonel, we are aware and are taking all prudent precautions.”

“Excellent. I need to make a few phone calls and make some arrangements for her return. The safest thing would be to have her flown to Edward Air Force Base. There are several specially modified military cargo planes designed for transporting virus victims. I can arrange to have one flown to whatever airport is closest to your location and take her off your hands, if that’s agreeable to you.”

“Yes, sir. That works fine for me.”

“Great. I will call you back in an hour or so with the final details. Before I let you go, Mr. Wolf was traveling with several others. Have they been apprehended too?”

“No sir, but from what I understand the state police are hot to find them. Apparently two of them attacked the arresting officers and several others from the backup they called in. They have six men in the hospital as a result.”

“I see. Officer Reed, if they others are apprehended at any point, I need it emphasized to the police they are to be returned here to California as well.”

There were several moments of silence before the Reed replied. “I will do my best Colonel, but I can’t make any promises. The police out here don’t take very kindly to being attacked. I can’t even promise they won’t be shot on sight judging from the way the officer I spoke to was talking.”

“If that’s the case I will have someone call their barracks commander and let them know the military will be taking over the investigation. Thank you for your time, Mr. Reed. I will be in touch with transport arrangements shortly.” Jordon told him as he hung up without waiting for a reply.
“Ellie Wolf in custody” he thought to himself as he picked the phone back up. “This is going to save my ass.”

***************
The White House press room prime time:

“Mr. President.” Press secretary Kerry Enrich called out form the back of the group walking down the hall towards the White House briefing room. Thinking the president hadn’t heard him Enrich called out again louder. “Mr. President!”

From the head of the column Fuller called back dismissively.” Not now Kerry, I have briefing with the press.”

Yes sir, I know but there have been some changes to you statement.”

“Are they on my note cards?” Fuller asked not even trying to hide his irritation.

“Yes sir but..”

“No buts Kerry. I’ll see them when I get up there.” Fuller replied as stepped through the press room door.

“Fuck!” Enrich thought to himself as he stood in the hallway looking helplessly at the closing door.

“Don’t worry Kerry, everything is going to be just fine.” Davis Carlyle told him giving his shoulder a squeeze on the way by.

“Ya for you anyway. You smug son of a bitch.” Kerry thought to himself with disgust as he followed Davis through the door and up onto the side the stage.

“Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming this evening.” President Fuller told the assembled reporters as he stood looking proud behind the presidential podium. “After several weeks of careful consideration, I have come up with a nominee for Vice President. I know it’s been a longer time coming that most expected but with the many ongoing crisis our nation has faced of late there simply hasn’t been much time to sit down and do the due diligence necessary to come up with a candidate that is not only capable of doing the job but shares my vision for the nation’s future. With that said, I’d like to present to you the man that will be not only serving as my VP but also as my running mate this November…”

Fuller looked down at his note a moment and just stopped speaking. He looked up and over to the side where press secretary Kerry Enrich stood with several members of his cabinet, a confused look plastered to his face. Enrich’s face had a look of hopeless disgust plastered to it as he shrugged back as if to say I tried to tell you.

“I’m sorry ladies and gentlemen of the press, please excuse me a moment.” He said as he stepped away from the podium. The press room erupted with shouted questions which Fuller ignored as he walked off stage. One behind the side curtain he grabbed Enrich by the sleeve and pulled him down the small set of stair and out the door to the hallway beyond. Several members of the cabinet started to follow but Fuller waved them off as he yanked Enrich though the door.

“What the hell is going on here Kerry?” he shouted soon as the door was closed. “Why does the note sheet say Davis Carlyle instead of Richard Rawlings? “What the fuck are you people trying to pull.”

“I’m sorry sir. I tried to tell you before you went in there that Rawlings tested positive for Acidalia just this afternoon. We only got the word fifteen minutes ago.” Enrich told him.

“And you let me go out there….?”

“Again Mr. President, I was trying to tell you.”

“Trying?” Fuller yelled. “You let me go out there with my dick in my hand for Christ sakes, Kerry! Davis Carlyle? Really?”

“You wouldn’t listen Mr. President. Every time I tried to speak you told me to wait. Then you went out there without giving me the opportunity to tell you. I’m sorry it happened like this sir. I’ll hand in my resignation immediately.” Erich told the president.

Fuller shook his head and sighed deeply. “What a cluster fuck. How did his name get inserted in there?”

“I have no idea who did that Mr. President. I was going to look into as soon as we were done here. I was only handed the revised copy myself on the way down the hall to your office. I was reading it for the first time just as you wear head to the press room. That’s why I was trying to get your attention.” Enrich told him truthfully.

Before the president could reply, assistant press secretary Lia Holiday came through the door at that moment and said “I’m sorry sir’s but the press is getting a bit restless in there. We need to tell them something.”

Fuller stared at the two of them with exasperation. “Fine. Congratulations Lia you’re my new press secretary. Kerry, your fired! I expect your resignation on my desk as soon as we get this shit show over with.”

“Yes sir.” Was all Enrich could think to say.

Fuller took an additional moment to compose himself then walked up the steps and back not the press room.

Stepping back to the podium he smiled at the press corps. “Please forgive me for that interruption. As president you never know when a matter of national security I going to pop up.” The president paused for a moment hoping for some kind of reaction for the assemblage but was met with stony silence. With an internal shrug he continued. “With that said I’d like to present you with my nomination for vice president, my chief of staff and good friend Davis Carlyle.”

Carlyle stepped out from behind the president. Fuller turned and shook his hand smiling as the press took pictures and shouted questions.
Fuller took a step back giving him the mic.

“Thank you, Mr. President. It will be an honor to serve with you as we navigate this great country of ours though these difficult times.” Davis said with a broad smile. “I hope I can prove worthy of your trust. To the members of the senate, my life is an open book. Please feel free to ask whatever questions you feel need answering to get through this process as quickly as possible. We’ve a lot of other matters that need our attention. Again, thank you President Fuller.”

As the press began to pepper Carlyle, Fuller seethed. Davis was the very last person he wanted as VP but now he was stuck between a rock and hard place. If he tried to back out of the nomination, he’d look weaker and more ineffectual than he already did. The press conference was already a fiasco with him stepping off stage midsentence. If he allowed the nomination to stand and the senate approved Fuller would be stuck with someone that he no longer trusted to go along with the program and not try to undermine him.

“Not exactly clear and decisive leadership there, Bob. You look like an incompetent, bumbling fool.” He thought to himself glumly. “God, I wish there was a way I could just walk off into the sunset sometimes.”

Fuller kept his thoughts to himself as he stood and watched Carlyle heap false praise upon him for the job he’s been doing during the epidemic to the nations press. All of which rang false to the president.

Thirty agonizing minutes later the presser was finally wrapping up. Fuller stepped up and shook Carlyle’s hand for one last photo op smiling brightly. Once the camera’s stopped flashing he turned and stepped off stage and headed for the door. The rest of the cabinet members in attendance followed. Once out in the hall several members congratulated Davis on his nomination. Fuller didn’t join in. Instead, he strode to the oval office angrily. Carlyle Davis, seeing him stalk off began to follow. Fuller entered the outer office, looked over at his secretary Magda and said” Hold my calls!” and without looking back slammed the door shut behind him, as it turned out right in Davis’s face.

Davis turned back to the woman half standing behind her desk and shrugged. “I guess I’ll come back later.”

“Seems like that would be the best idea Mr. Vice President.” Magda replied courtly.

Carlyle Davis smiled at her as he turned and walked back out into the hallway. As he walked several more staffers offered him congratulations on his way by. By the time he arrived at his current office, his hand hurt from shaking so many. His secretary wasn’t at her desk as he walked by. “Probably in the ladies room.” He thought to himself as he opened the door to his inner sanctum and let out a gasp of surprise to find Defense Secretary Blake sitting in a chair with a glass of scotch in his hand waiting for him.

“Blake, what are you doing…” Davis began.

“That was some stunt you pulled in there. Fuller is pissed.” Blake interrupted.

“Ahh let him be pissed. I did what needed to be done. Now he has to follow through with the nomination or it will make him look even worse.” Davis replied with a wide smile.

“Yes. You’ve put him in a terrible spot.” Blake replied. “How did we get word on Rawlings being infected so quickly? He was just here yesterday meeting with Fuller and tested negative.”

“What can I say? I have my ear to the ground.” Davis replied smugly. “Harkins arranged for him to have some female company at his hotel last night. Sadly, no one knew she was a virus victim until after the evening was over regrettably. Once the woman was identified Rawlings was obligated to be retested. The blood born version is a real motherfucker when it comes to transferability. Regrettably, Mr. Rawlings is being transported to the Baltimore Quarantine center for monitoring as we speak.”

“And that’s that huh?” Blake asked.

“Would seem so. Either way the plan is back on track. Congress will approve my nomination by the end of the month and by mid-October Fuller should be out. Then I can declare martial law and suspend the election in November.” Carlyle said as he poured himself a glass.

“Slick as shit through a goose huh?”

“If the dominos continue to fall into place, it will be.”

“No matter how much cajoling it takes to get them there.” Blake replied lifting his glass.

Davis lifted his in return. “In for a penny.” He replied.
“I have news.” Blake told him changing the subject. “Elijah Wolf has been apprehended in Wyoming.”

“Captured by who?”

“The state police. Apparently, it was quite the incident. The two enhanced ones she travels with…..” Blake stopped trying to remember their names.

“Michael Waters and Roger Stevens. I believe they go by Wendy and Nicole now. I didn’t realize they were enhanced.” Davis told him.

“Yes, them. Anyway, I guess they didn’t let the cops take her in peacefully.”

“How did we find out?”

“Someone in the federal marshal’s office called Charley Jordon at Greyson labs. He’s the one that issued the warrant, so I guess they wanted to know that the hell he wanted done with her. He called the army chief of staff’s office to speak to General Cook about getting permission to have her flown into Edwards. The General’s office called my office to coordinate with Caviler’s people on base about getting one of the modified transports over there to get her.”

“Interesting.” Davis replied thoughtfully.

“Yes, it’s a very interesting situation. I haven’t okayed the transport yet.”

Davis nodded. “Her being in custody long term won’t help our plans, but them having her might be the opportunity we’ve been looking for. Can you delay things while I make a call?”

“I’m sure that won’t be a problem for anyone but Jordon. He’s got a bit of a hard on for Wolf. She made him look pretty stupid in releasing Greyson and the other two. The woman can be very persuasive from what I hear. Anyway, let me know what’s going on when you do.” Blake told him getting up.

“I will. A couple hours at most. Can you close the door behind you as you leave, please?”

“Talk to you soon Mr. Vice President.” Blake said closing the door.

*************
Harkin heard his phone ring just as he was about to knock on the solid looking steel door. He pulled it from his pocket and recognizing the number he immediately walked back to the street as he answered. “Mr. Davis?”

“Where are you? “Davis asked.

“I’m in California. I was just about to have that conversation we discussed with Reverend.” Harkin told him.

“Don’t. We may need him after all. How soon can you make it to Evanston Wyoming?”

Harkin looked at his watch. “Evanston? I’m not sure sir, I’ve never even heard of it. I’m going have to find out where the nearest airport is. Can I ask why?”

“I have someone I want you to meetup with before we cut the Reverend loose. I need you there by mid-day tomorrow.”

“Yes sir. I’ll figure it out.” Harkin replied.
“When you get your travel details in order let me know. I’ll have something waiting for you wherever you land.”

“Yes sir, will do.” Harkin told him. “By the way. Congrats on your nomination sir. I guess that means things are pointing in the right direction again.”

“They will be pointing in an even better direction once you get to Wyoming.” Davis told him. “By the way any progress on the Ryson situation?”

“No sir.” Harkin replied not hiding the frustration in his voice. There were many things you could get use to in life, failure wasn’t one of them in his mind and her continued elusiveness was really beginning to piss him off.

“It’s like she fell off the earth, but I’ve got my best people working on it. Wherever she is we’ll find her.” Harkin replied bracing himself for his boss’s reaction.

“Make sure you do Harkin, or it will be your ass.” Davis told him angrily.

“Yes sir. I understand. I will call you back as soon as I know where I’ll be arriving in Wyoming.”

“Good.” Davis told him hanging up the phone.

Harkin looked at his phone for a long moment wondering what he was in for come Wyoming. His boss certainly had a lot of irons in a lot of fires. Harkin hoped like hell Davis Carlyle truly was the man that could handle the heat. Looking back over his shoulder as Rev. Manning’s current hide out, he shrugged his shoulders, walked back into his car and headed for the airport.

**********
Reynolds 6am:

Paula Stanley sat behind her desk in her plush executive chair going over the previous days reports and frowning. Six of her most prized test subjects had suddenly taken ill and had to be quarantined for the rest of the facility. According to Dr. Benatar they had all been exposed to some version of the flu brought in by one of the guards. The illness outbreak was throwing a huge monkey wrench into Paula’s testing schedule for the week. Worse three of the girls were scheduled for insemination tomorrow and now that was going to be to be pushed back too.

“Grrr.” She grumbled to herself as she looked over the report once again before tossing it into the waste basket at her feet. With tremendous irritation she picked up the phone and dialed down to the infirmary. After eight rings it was finally answered.

“I want to speak to Dr. Benatar immediately.” She demanded without even waiting to hear who it was that answered.

“I’m sorry she’s busy with a critical patient right now and can’t come to the phone Director.” Robbi Goings answered.

“I don’t care what she’s doing! I need to speak to her right this minute Dr. Goings! Now go get her!” Paula demanded.

“Look, Director, she can’t speak to you right now. If you need her that badly you’re going to have to come down here and drag her out of surgery yourself because I’m not doing it.” Roberta told the doctor not caring what her reaction would be.

“You best watch your tone doctor. Remember what happened the last time you crossed me. Now do as your told.” Paula again demanded not realizing for a moment the other end had hung up the phone. She stared at it in angry amazement for a full minute, seething with rage and indignation.

“Who does that little bitch think she is talking to me like that.” she thought to herself as her fingers jabbed the desk phones keypad. That number rang twice before it was answered with “Security, Michaelson speaking.”

“This is director Stanley; I need a team sent to the infirmary and Dr. Goings taken into custody immediately and held until I get down there.”

“I’m sorry ma’am but Lt. Hutchinson has ordered that no one in the facility is to be held without cause unless she approves it first.” Michaelson informed her.

“Hutchinson said?” She questioned. “I don’t give a damn what she has told you! I’m the head of this facility, what I say supersedes anything anyone else in this entire place tells you!” Paula roared into the phone.

“I understand who you are, ma’am, but I can’t go against the Lieutenants orders. She’ll have my ass in a sling if I did. You’ll really need to discuss the matter with her.”

“Discuss the matter…? Who does Hutchinson think she is?”

“I’m sure I don’t know ma’am. I’m just doing as I was ordered. Again, you need to discuss the matter with her directly Dr. Stanley.” Michaelson told her as the other end of the phone hung up.

“Has everyone gone mad today?” Paula asked herself as her temper continued to boil over. Not knowing where Hutchinson was at the moment, she punched up the facility wide intercom. “Lieutenant Hutchinson pick up line one.” She demanded.

After she sat and watched the phone waiting for the return call. Every second of silence that ticked by only served to enrage Dr. Stanley further. Finally, after a full five minutes passed Paula’s temper boiled over completely. She picked the intercom back up and shouted into it. “Hutchinson! This is the Director! Call my office immediately!”

When it was again met with silence Paula again grabbed the phone and dialed the security office. “Where is Hutchinson!?” The portly director demanded.

“Last I knew she was down in the infirmary.” The voice on the other end answered.

Paula slammed down the phone. She wiggled out of her chair and stomped out of her office. Out in the halls she spotted to security people walking in the other direction. “You and you” She told them pointing at each in turn “come with me right now.”

“Director we were just on our way….” The tall olive skinned one started to explain.

“I don’t care where you were going or what you were doing! This is my facility! What I say goes. Now come with me!” She yelled at the top of her lungs.

The pair just looked at each other a moment. “Lead on Director. The male one told her.

The pair followed Dr. Stanley, trying not to laugh at the way she stomped her feet on the way down the hall towards the elevators. Once inside she said to them. “Have your weapons ready.”

“Ma’am, could you tell us where we are going at least?” The shorter dark haired female guard asked.

Paula replied with an air of disgust “To the infirmary.”

“And once we’re there you want us to shoot someone?” The man asked.

“When we get there, I want you to do what I tell you to do. Right now, I want you to have your weapons ready in case there is a need for them, that’s all.” She said sternly.

“Yes ma’am.” They replied in unison.

As the elevator slid to a stop Paula pushed at the door as though she could bully them into opening. The pair standing behind her did their best to hide their amusement at her antics. The doctor stormed out soon as the elevator doors opened. She turned to the left and again stomped her way down the hallway and burst though the infirmary doors.

“Where is Hutchinson?” she shouted as loud as she could, as her improvised security detail stood behind her with questioning looks on their faces.

“She’s back in the maternity ward.” A faceless voice answered from off to her left.

Dr. Stanley suddenly looked a little bit queasy. The ward was the only place she could not go because of Thomas Logan's threat to kill her.

“Fine.” She turned to the male guard trying not to look rattled. “Go get her.” She ordered pointing at the door he needed to go through.

He stepped forward wondering when the facility had a maternity ward installed and, for that matter, why they would need one. He walked through the heavy steel doors and was immediately assaulted by the stench of the place. As bad as it smelled in the regular infirmary ward, it was infinitely worse in there. Gurneys and beds with pathetic looking patients laying on them in various states of consciousness covered nearly every inch of floor. Struggling to find room to step forward he called out “Lieutenant Hutchinson?”

“Over here Malloy.” She called back waving.

From where he stood, Malloy could see her huddled in the corner around a bed talking to a pair of doctors and a strikingly beautiful brown-haired inmate. “Lieutenant, Dr. Stanley is outside. She’s been looking for you for a while. She’s pretty pissed off.”

The brown-haired inmate turned towards him and snarled “Stanley is here?”

Hutchinson put a hand on her shoulder and told her. “I have this, Thomas. To Malloy she replied. “And she sent you in here to get me?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“Fucking coward.” Hutchinson said in disgust. The Sargent looked down at the inmate on the bed then to one of the doctors she said, “Are you sure she’s going to be ok?”

“She’ll be fine, eventually. She can heal like no one business. It’s just going to take a while this time. The cow really did a number on her, but we’ll keep her safe in there.” Dr. Benatar replied.

Hutchinson gave the new woman known only as Paka’s hand a squeeze then turned back to Malloy, “Alright let’s go see what the good doctor has a stick up her ass about this time.”

The two exited the maternity ward back into the general infirmary. Hutchinson could see the director standing near the entrance looking fear filled and indignant. She shook her head in disgust as everyone in the place had to keep stepping around Stanley as they tried to treat their patients.

“Yes doctor, what can I do for you?” the Lieutenant asked as they arrived in Stanley’s vicinity.

“I’ve been looking for you. I called your office and you personally twice on the intercom.” Paula informed her with tremendous indignation oozing from every word.

“The intercom doesn’t work in the ward.” Loren told her ignoring the doctor’s tone. “Again, what can I do for you?”

“I am the director of this facility, Lieutenant, I should not have to come all the way down here to find my head of security!”

Loren Hutchinson sighed loudly. After a moment she reached out and grabbed the director by her white lab coat and pushed her though the infirmary door into the hallway beyond.

“Get your hands off me!” Stanley squealed as she was pulled and shoved along. The pair of security people she’d hijacked followed the pair out. Hutchinson turned to them and said “Malloy, Sanchez, your dismissed. Thank you for assisting the director.”

The twos started to leave when Stanley yelled, “Who are you to tell them to leave? I run this place…”

“No!” the Lieutenant said so forcefully it stopped the doctor mid-rant. “No more!”

“No more what?” Stanley asked still indignant but with a touch of apprehension.

“No more director. No more prisoner transfers. No more experiments. No more torturing these poor people who have done nothing more than have the bad luck of getting sick. I was just in there with Paka. I saw what your “experiments” have done to her. It’s far from the first time you’ve hurt her, I know, but this time you went way to far! You’re lucky she can heal from nearly anything because anyone else would be dead by now.” Hutchinson was shaking the fat director as her with fury grew with very word.

“What I did was to advance our knowledge of these mutations the virus has caused! I didn’t torture anyone!” Paula squealed. “What I do here I do for our survival as a species!”

“My people and I have agreed that we will not allow anymore abuse of the people incarcerated here by you. By our actions we have been complicit for far too long! Half the blood you’ve spilled here is on our hands too. No more doctor. I’ve told all my people that any security issue needs to be okayed by me before any action is taken. There will be no more patient transfers. No more randomly shuffling people so no one notices your victims missing. It all ends now. From here on in you will treat these people with some dignity.” She told her poking her in the shoulder to emphasize each point in turn.

“We’ll see what Colonel Jordon has to say about your little rebellion, Lieutenant!” Dr. Stanley replied indignantly.

“By all means doctor, call the Colonel. I’m sure he’d love to know how many of the special ones you’ve kept from him. That Thomas Logan and Major Brady are both still alive. Please call him, doctor. Or shall I?”

Paula’s eyes were wide as saucers, not with rage this time however, they were wide with fear.
“You…. you wouldn’t dare.” Stanley stuttered.

“Try me, Paula.” Hutchinson replied with steel in her voice as she let go of Paula’s lab coat. “All of this shit, its is over.” The doctor backed away, still looking at the Lieutenant.

“Are we clear?” Hutchinson asked.

“This…this isn’t over.” Stanley promised.

“Yes, it is doctor. No one on my staff will listen to your orders anymore. Call it a coup if you like but the security staff will have no more part in making these people your playthings. Now get your ass out of here before I have you put into one of the detention cells.” Hutchinson called out to her as she watched Stanley scamper quickly as if all the devils in hell were chasing her in the direction of the elevators.

***************

KLTR 7am News:

“Good morning, San Francisco this is your morning news. Our top story this morning, after his surprising nomination, Vice Presidential hopeful Davis Carlyle made the rounds on Capitol Hill yesterday trying to drum up support from Senate leaders before his confirmation hearings which are scheduled to begin next Wednesday morning. Rumors continue to circulate that Mr. Carlyle was not who the president intended to nominate and was a last-minute substitute that even president Fuller himself was not aware of until the press conference to announce the nomination had started.”

“Critics of the president have been calling his sudden stop mid-sentence during last evenings press conference a blunder of epic proportions. Senator Kennedy, an outspoken critic of the president and political opponent called it yet another in a never-ending series of events that show the president is no longer capable of running the country.”

“If the man doesn’t even know what his own speech says how can he possibly claim to have a handle on the ongoing crisis our country faces. Every day citizens are suffering under inept and ill-conceived policies promoted and endorsed by this administration. Come November we need to make a change at the top that will bring the results that lead to improvements in the lives of our people.”

A story that seems to corroborate the senator’s theory is the resignation of press secretary Kerry Enrich this morning. Enrich who had been with the administration since President Fuller was elected, sighted wanting time to be his family as he his reason for his sudden departure. While there would seem to be a direct link between the confusing at the Presidents new conference and Enrich’s departure, there have also been rumors circulating that one of the former secretary’s close family members has recently come down with the virus. When asked for comment on her predecessor new press secretary Lia Holiday would only say that it had been an honor to work with him and wished him luck on his future endeavors.

“On the international front, The Canadian News Network is reporting that negotiations between the US and Canada are proceeding quickly and there is expected to be a treaty signing before months end. One of the only hurtles left seems to be the dollar amount of reparations the United States must pay Canada for its ill-fated attempt to create a similar buffer zone like the one that exists along the southern border. Canadian Prime minister Montclair was quoted as saying that he has high hopes of a quick restoration of peace between our great countries and is working hard alongside Secretary of State Joanne Constantine to see that wish come to fruition.”

“In other international news United Nations Secretary General Mosbard has declared the blockade of all US ports a total victory for UN forces. “There remain no open ports with which the United States can export the virus to the rest of the world. We are all safe now. Once again, I beg president Fuller to surrender control of the United States government to UN control so we can put an end to the embargo of good and services from abroad.” The General Secretary said in a statement released earlier today.”

“In a related story inflation continues to grow at record levels as scarcity of goods continues to drive prices of everyday items higher. With supplies of most staple goods running dangerously low, empty shelves in stores are starting to become common place. Sources in Washington report the President is close to using the emergency powers act to force corporations to open manufacturing back up inside our boarders. The secretary of Commerce Barney Flint has called for a meeting with the CEOs of America’s largest corporations this coming Monday to discuss the logistics and funding for the initiative should it need to be instituted.”

“Wall street, again, has reacted poorly to the possibility, with the Dow taking a nearly two hundred points drop in the hours after the rumor started circulating. This makes the third such drop since the outbreak of the epidemic as investors seek to cash out before the inevitable drop in value of their stocks.”

“Locally, authorities continue the manhunt for Reverend Manning and his followers as they attacked yet another testing center last night, this time in heart of Sacramento. The testing center on Swift St. was so engulfed in flame it took four alarms before fire fighters could contain the blaze. Concern for the surrounding buildings was heighted by presence of a gas station two doors down from the testing center. Thankfully fire fighters were able to contain the fire to just the testing center building, which is reportedly a total loss. The state police have yet to release the number of victims from the immense fire as the building’s stability has yet to be determined. Once it’s deemed safe enough authorities will begin the process of removing and identifying bodies of the deceased.”

*************

Paula Wright heard the tv clicking off as she walked into the kitchen to find the woman that had once been her husband Kevin sitting at the breakfast bar eating a piece of toast. Things had not been easy for the couple since Kevin’s infection and subsequent transformation. His condition had put a lot of stress on their already somewhat tenuous relationship. Though they still loved each other things had been slowly unraveling for them as a couple for several months before anyone had even heard the word Acidalia.

At the start of the outbreak the company Kevin worked at as a software engineer, Vertech, had set all the employee’s they could up to work from home in an effort to protect them from exposure. While this policy had indeed helped to limit him from exposure from people, he worked with it was something less than successful from keeping anyone from catching the virus at places like the grocery or hardware store.

After a routine trip out to several store for supplies and entertainment Kevin had woken up the following morning feeling very sick. Paula immediately set him up in the guest bedroom and watched in horror as he went from feeling ill to falling not a deep coma over the next fifteen hours. The coma had lasted four days, during which she watched the man she’d been married too for the last ten years morph into this stranger that now sat at the counter of her breakfast bar.

The couple had been doing their best to make things work between them since his recovery, but it had been far from easy. Their biggest problems were two-fold. First off Paula wasn’t gay. Even though she loved her husband his new form held no attraction for her. Kevin despite his disappointment understood and had been trying to live with it. It hurt him deeply that the woman he loved and spent most of his adult life with rejected him now. The emotional turmoil had caused him to turn to drinking on occasions when the depression over it all got to be too much. He knew it was probably the worst possible way to deal with the situation, but his wife’s rejection combined being trapped in a body he never wanted left him feeling lost and alone.

The second issue between them was a bit tougher to get around. Paula, who’d been spending an inordinate amount of time is internet chat rooms since her husband’s reawakening, had found several groups that preached the gospel according to Reverend Morris Manning. Paula had latched onto the Reverend Manning’s idea that Acidalia infection originated from personal sin with almost fanatical intensity. She agreed that it was God’s wrath on those without God in their hearts. She had begun asking him constantly to pray with her and beg God for forgiveness. Kevin, understandably feeling he’d not done anything to offend God, had resisted her at every turn. He had tried to explain this to her, but she never seemed to actually listen to him. He’s considered leaving but as a virus victim he had nowhere to go but quarantine if he didn’t stay hidden at home.

Despite their issues though they had been managing. That was, until last night.

Keven had spent the entire day in a deep anger filled funk. He had never wanted to be female. Deep seeded regret on his part and Paula’s preaching’s had done nothing to help the situation. Once he was finished with his days’ work, he’d decided to hit the bottle hard. Despite several experiences with the bottle, he still wasn’t used to diminished size and lowered tolerance. As with every time before, he’d managed to get very drunk far more quickly than normal. Paula, upon her return home from work had not been happy to see him half passed out, drooling on the kitchen table.

After a bit of shaking and cajoling Paula had managed t get her husband upright long enough to help him into bed to sleep it off. Everything had been mostly fine until in his drunken state he tried to be amorous with her. That started the mother of all fights. Kevin soon found himself locked out of the bedroom and fell asleep on the couch.

The mornings sobriety had brought him tremendous shame and fear of what Paula’s reaction might be. He’d hoped that she would see last night for what it was, a drunken mistake. So, he’d gotten up early and cleaned up the mess he left in the kitchen, made himself a small bit of breakfast and waited for her to come down.

When he saw her enter the kitchen he said “Morning.” As cheerily as he could muster.

Paula shot him a scowl that dried all the saliva in his mouth instantly. “Don’t “morning” me.” She replied with great distain.

“Look, before we get into another big bow out, I want to say I’m sorry. I was drunk. Very drunk. I had a real shit day yesterday and still don’t have a handle on how much quicker alcohol affects me like this. I know I shouldn’t have tried anything like that with you, I know you’re not into it. But Paula I love you and I’m still very attracted to you. Even though I’m stuck like this I’m still me inside and I miss us. I know it’s been not so great for a while now, even before this but now that I see what I’m losing I want more than anything to hold onto it. I want to find a way to make things right between us. So again, I’m sorry. It won’t happen again.” He blurted out before she could say another word, hoping that would calm her down some so they could talk for real.

“Your right it won’t happen again.” She told him sternly. “I want you to leave Kevin. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t live with your sin on such obvious display every day. I tried to live with it. I prayed to God to relieve you from whatever you’d done to offend him but last night you proved all my worst fears to be well founded. You are a sinner, Kevin. You’re going to have to figure out how to earn God’s forgiveness on your own.”

“Paula…” He started.

“No Kevin. There is nothing you can say that will fix this. Before I came down here, I made a phone call. There will be people here to pick you up soon.” She informed him.

“People? What people?” the skinny dark-haired new woman demanded.

Paula looked away but refused to reply. Kevin jumped to her feet and shouted “Paula, who did you call?”
As if on que a knock at the door sent a bold of fear and rage through Kevin’s body. He grabbed his wife by the robe and demanded “Tell me who you called god damn it!”

Get your hands off me!” she shouted trying to pull away. “Help me!!”

As soon as she cried out for help a huge boom made the door rattle on its frame. A second boom a moment later and the door burst in and five large men wearing the double red cross insignia of Rev. Manning’s followers rushed the pair of women. They pulled Kevin roughly away from Paula. Three of the men began pummeling Kevin in the head and shoulders as they crushed him to the floor. Once she was down the beating continued as they kicked her mercilessly. The new woman cried out with each blow.

“Are you alright sister?” Kevin heard one of them ask through his ringing ears as he lay on the floor trying to catch his breath.

“Yes, he didn’t hurt me.” Paula replied. “Thank you though. Your arrival was perfectly timed. Things were starting to get scary.”

“I’m glad we arrived when we did. Truly Gods hand was at work here today.”

“Yes. Praise the Lord our God.” She said in response then asked, “Are you going to take him away now?”

“We can easily do the cleansing here unless you’d rather not witness his redemption.” The blonde haired one with the long scar down his left cheek told her.

Kevin tried to speak but the ringing in his head kept the words from forming.

“No. I’d like to be present if that’s possible. Despite what he’s become I did once love him. I want to see God forgive him so I know we will be together in heaven when my time comes. There is a place in the back yard.” She told them.

The blonde looked at the others. “You four go with our sister Paula and prepare the spot. I’ll wait here with this sinner and pray for her redemption. She doesn’t look in any shape to cause any trouble.”

“Praise be brother” they said nearly in unison as the followed Paula out into the late summer morning air.

The remaining one looked down at Kevin broken form and gave the new woman one more swift kick to the stomach. “My name is brother Gary” he informed her. “I will stay with you and pray for God to forgive you until it’s time for your redemption.”

Despite his head swimming and the pain, Kevin managed to look up at her attacker. “Fuck you!” he whispered as loud as he could muster then spat on Brother Gary’s shoe.

Gary looked down on him with great pity in his eyes. Then smiled. “Still feisty huh? I can respect that. I’m gonna tell you something straight up, Kevin. I don’t buy all this religion bullshit the rest of them spout. I’m here cause I like to hurt people and Rev Manning lets me hurt anyone I like as long as I tell him they were a sinner. He’s kind of a black and white thinker that way. Makes it easy for people like me to hide inside his little bunch of holly rollers.” He told her as he gave her another swift kick, this time in the head. “Now that you made this personal by spitting on me, I’m going to make this hurt as much as possible. Tell me Mr. Wright, have you tried out your new equipment yet?”

Kevin looked up at him with dawning horror, suddenly aware of how small he was in comparison. “N..no. Don’t. Please.”

“Aww. Begging’s not gonna get you anywhere sister. You should have just laid there like a good girl until it was time but no, you had to go and spit on my new kicks. Well now you’re gonna get what you deserve.” He told her as he unzipped his fly. Descending upon her he smashed her in the face several more times and then stuffed a towel in her mouth. She could smell the stink of tobacco on his breath as he leaned close and began to describe what was to come.

Forty-five minutes later the others returned to the kitchen. Kevin lay on the floor crying with the towel still stuffed into her mouth. None of the others seemed to notice how much more beat up she was on the pajama bottoms around her ankles. The simply grabbed her roughly and dragged her out to the back yard. The warm sunshine fell on her face and the smell of summer air filled her nostrils as soon as they were clear of the back porch door. She tried to lift her head to see the sky one last time, but she had no strength left in her. She could only see the grass that needed to be mowed beneath their feet as she was dragged across the back yard by the arms.

Once they reach the back corner of the yard, the four of Brother Gary’s companions stood her up and held her in place against a fence post while the brother himself tied her tightly too it. She wanted to struggle. She tried to scream but there was just no fight left in her.
Once they were done Paula came to her. She gently pulled the towel from her husband’s mouth. “I love you, Kevin. I will see you in heaven some day and we will bask in the love of the lord.” She kissed him and smiled, then stepped back with the others.

Kevin wanted to beg them not to do this to him but was unable to find the words. Instead, he just hung there limply silently praying for his end to be quick. The beating he had received at their hands coupled with the subsequent rape by Brother Gary had left him sobbing mess and sapped strength to resist as the men worked behind him.

After a few moments they were finished. The five of them stood in front of the new woman praying disjointedly together. Kevin looked at Brother Gary and noticed he had a hard on all the while the reek of lighter fluid wafted through the air. Once the prayer was done Gary lit a match and flicked it at the pile beneath his victims’ feet. For a moment Kevin couldn’t put it all together but then he caught the first whiff of smoke from behind him. It sent a wave of fear like he’d never felt before washing through him.

His bladder emptied wetting the wood in the fire pit around his feet and he began to scream as the fire climbed up his back.

Paula stood smiling as her husband burned before her eyes, praying for God to accept his soul into heaven.

**************
Evanston Wyoming 10:30 am:

Nicole stared out the window of the flea bag motel Mia and Sam had managed to get the Sisters a pair of rooms in. From the second-floor room she occupied along with Carol and Warren, which was only a slightly awkward situation, gave her a fairly good view of the street beyond the parking lot. With one of them on constant lookout, if the police showed up, they’d have a few seconds warning at least. Not a lot of time but better than getting caught with your panties around your ankles at least.

Early yesterday evening after getting lodging taken care of and running to a nearby store for supplies, Nicole and Warren had taken their stolen ride and ditched behind a strip mall a couple miles away. Warren had looked as if he was going to cry as they walked away from the Magnum. Even though he couldn’t drive, it seemed as if he’d fallen in love with the machine. To Nicole, his reaction was nothing short of comical but somehow, she’s managed to refrain from laughing, and insulting her friend, long enough for them to make their way back to the motel.

Since then, they’d been hold up here trying to figure out how to free Ellie from police custody. So far all they’d managed to come up with is they needed to get her out of there. None of them were strategic geniuses by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, she and Wendy could take out a handful of cops if needed but what good would that do any of them if they didn’t even know what station Ellie was being held in. For that matter they didn’t even know for sure that she was still being held. She might be back in Colonel Jordon’s grasp by now for all they knew.

“Coast still clear?” Carol asked from the twin bed they’d shared the night before.

“The coast is as clear as the coast can be.” Nicole replied trying to be funny.
Carol gave her a ghost of a smile. “Any idea on what we’re going to do yet?”

“I was just thinking that over. Unless they moved her overnight, they most likely have her in the state police barracks still. We need to find out where that is and confirm if they have Ellie or not.” Nicole replied trying to sound like she was on top of the situation.

“Ok. Then what?” Carol asked with an edge of sarcasm in her voice.

“Then” she started to say and stopped. Nicole went silent for a few seconds before finally admitting, “You know what Carol, I haven’t the foggiest idea of then what. How about you? Any grand plans on your end?”

They youngster shrugged. “If it were up to me, I’d offer to trade them Sam for Ellie straight up.”

“Thinking that’s probably not going to work out to well.”

“I can hope, can’t I?” Carol replied with an impish grin.

“Hope for what?” Warren asked stepping out of the tiny bathroom with wet hair and a towel wrapped around his waist.

“Nothing to important. We were just pie in the skying what to do rescue Ellie.” Nicole told him.

Warren nodded. “Any thoughts?”

“Nothing practical.” Nicole admitted.

Warren nodded as he reached for his pile of clothing on the bed. They towel around his waist slipped slightly showing off a bit of his butt.

“Eww dude!” Carol said. “Go back in the bathroom and get dressed! Fricken ladies present. Ya know?”

The three of the laughed more hardily than the joke warranted. Warren turned a bit red as he gathered his things and began to scurry back into the bathroom but was interrupted by a loud knock on the door. The laughter was immediately cut off, like someone had hit stop on a recording. He looked through the peep hole and saw Mia. With a sigh of relief, he opened the door and let the former head of the CDC in.

“What were you three donkeys giggling about? I could hear you all the way out in the hallway.” She asked.

“Just a dumb joke.” Carol replied still smiling.

Mia Blue nodded. “Umm Warren why are you half naked in the middle of the room?” She asked causing the three to burst into laughter again.
“I don’t know what you three have been smoking but I want some.” She told them which set of another gale of laughter.

After the giggles passed and they’d taken a moment to compose themselves, Nicole asked, “Where are Sam and Wendy?”

“Sara is sleeping. Sam stayed to watch over here. Wendy, I assume stayed to watch over Sam. She’s barely left her side since we arrived last night. She told me, well, wrote it on a note that she’d promised Ellie that she’s watch over Sam if anything happened.”

“Far as bodyguards go, you couldn’t really ask for a better one, I guess. “Warren sad from behind the bathroom door.

“Yes.” Mia replied. “So, what are we going to do Nicole? We can’t stay here forever. Eventually the police are going to find us. Kind of surprising they haven’t already. Not sure how safe I’d feel living in this community with the levels of ineptness I’ve seen for the cops around here so far.”

“I know Mia. We were just discussing what the next step was going to be.” Nicole told her.

And what did you come up with?”

“Well, we didn’t get much past Carol not wanting to see Warrens naked but.”

Warren stepped out of the bathroom a half second later. Mia took a look at him as he walked barefooted to his bed. “I don’t know Carol, far as buts go, I’ve seen far worse.” Mia joked. The prepubescent new woman turned beat red causing another round of laughter as Warren gave them all a quick twerk.

Turning serious Mia told them. “I took the liberty of getting the address of the nearest state police station off the internet before I came over here. Can I suggest we send a couple of us to do a little reconnaissance to see if she’s even there still?”

“Sounds like a good plan. Better then what we’ve come up with anyhow.” Nicole admitted. “Who should go? Warren, Wendy and I are out. They are looking hard for us.”

“I’d say the combination with the best hope of going unnoticed would be Sam and Carol with the baby.” Mia said.

“Oh no. Hells no!” Carol exploded. “I’m doing anything with that….. that…grrr…fuck that! No!”

“Carol.” Mia said sternly.

“No Mia. I will not go with Sam. I don’t give a flying fuck what you say. That asshole fucked my entire life! No way, Jose’.” Carol bellowed far louder than was necessary.

“I understand you didn’t want to be changed and you blame Sam for it!” Mia shouted back. “But this isn’t about you. It’s about gathering information to try and rescue someone you do care about, Ellie! You always bitch and complain that you’re a grown up not some little kid, now’s the time to act like one!”

Carol stood next to one of the beds glaring as Mia. She then looked in turn at Nicole and Warren looking for some kind of help.

“She’s not wrong Carol.” Was all Nicole could offer. “The three of you would look like a mother and two kids just out for a walk.”

“Nicole!” Carol exclaimed.

“I know you don’t want to be with her but like Mia said it’s for Ellie not for Sam or you.” The tall red head replied. “And it’s not like it would be for days or even hours on end. We’re talking about a quick look around at the place, an hour tops. Can you put your feelings aside for that long?”

“I fucking hate being here! This is why I left to begin with.” Carol spat. “I was doing just fine on my own, but you couldn’t leave me be. You had to drag me back here promising I wouldn’t have to deal with her and now you’re going back on that promise too.”

Nicole just looked at Carol with great sadness in her eyes, not knowing what to say. Carol stared back reproachfully then sighed. “Fine. I’ll fucking do it. But soon as we free Ellie I’m out of here. I can’t deal with this bullshit anymore.”

“Thank you, Carol.” Nicole told her.

“Fuck you, Nicole. You too Mia. Let’s just do this and get it over with.” Carol told them angrily.

Nicole nodded sadly.

**********
Evanston State police Barracks One hour later:

“Yes, sir can I help you?” The young dark haired desk officer asked as Harkin stepped up to it.

“Thank you, officer…”

“Parks.”

“Officer Parks. Yes. I’d like to speak with whoever is in charge please.” Harkin told him politely.
“I’m sorry sir but Captain Fisher is unavailable right now. Can I ask what this has to do with? Parks asked.

Harkin put on the most genuine smile he could muster. He hated dealing with cops. “I have a letter here that is for your Captain Fisher’s eyes only.”

“If you leave it here with me, I’ll make sure he gets it. “Parks offered.

“I’m sure you will officer, but I was told to deliver it to him personally and it’s kind of time sensitive. So maybe you can call him over in his office over there and see if maybe he has a minute for me?” Harkin asked with sincerity. He could see the captain sitting behind his desk easily through the window looking anything but busy. “Give em a little power and they think they own the world.” He thought to himself.

“I told you he was busy.” Parks insisted.

Harkin sighed. He took one step back from the desk and said loudly “All I want is two damn minutes with Captain Fisher, officer Parks.” In the Captains office he looked up at what all the commotion was about.

“Is there a problem out there, Parks?” Fisher called out from his office.

Before Parks could reply Harkin cut him off. “Captain Fisher, sir, I have a very important letter I need to hand deliver to you, if you have a
moment.”

Parks glared at Harkin who continued to smile as Fisher walked over to the desk. “What’s this about?” Harkins nodded at parks. “Yes. I have this Parks, thank you.”

“But Captain…”

“Thank you, officer Parks, I’ll handle this from here. Mr…”

“Names Harkin.”

“Mr. Harkin why don’t you come with me.” Fisher told him opening the gate to get behind the desk. Harkin smiles at Parks as he followed the captain into his office. Parks flipped Harkin the bird behind Fisher’s back which only made Harkin smile more broadly.

Closing the door Fisher offered Harkin a seat. As he walked around his desk Harkin took measure of Fisher who was a small but well build man in his mid-fifties with neatly trimmed salt and pepper hair.

Fisher took a seat behind his desk and Harkin handed him the letter. Reaching for his glasses the captain opened the envelope and unfolded the paper within. After reading for several seconds, he looked up and said, “Are you serious?”

“Yes sir captain.”

“Everyone she was with too?” Fisher questioned.

“That’s what the letter says.” Harkin replied.

“You realize they attacked several police officers while in the line of duty.”

“That’s what I hear.”

“And you expect me to just let them all go? Are you insane?” Fisher asked as he tossed the letter onto his desk.

“Captain, I don’t expect anything. I’m just the messenger. But there is the personal number of Attorney General at the bottom for you to call to confirm the letters legitimate.”

“I don’t care whose number is on the letter Mr. Harkin. The AG is out of his mind if he thinks we’re just going to forget all this happened and let these so-called Sisters just walk away.” Fisher told him angrily.

“I get ya boss. I’d be pissed too if I were you. Especially with how two women beat up six of your men. That’s got to be embarrassing as all hell.” Harkin smirked; he just could not resist needling cops no matter how counterproductive it might be.

“Being untouchable can be fun” He thought to himself before continuing. “That being said, I’ve been told that a copy of the letter has been delivered to you state AG and Governor’s offices as well. Both have apparently signed off on the AG’s recommendations. You can call them too if you like. Their personal numbers are listed at the bottom of the letter as well. So, how’s about we put personal feeling’s aside and play nice with the government, and we can all get on with our days?” Harkin said.

Fisher shot him a stony stare. “You’re a smart one Mr. Harkin. You think you’re some kind of big shot, messenger boy? Maybe we should hold you while I make sure all this is as legit as you claim.”

“Hey now, no offense intended, Boss.” Harkin told him, putting his hands in the air as a signal of surrender. “I’m just talking plainly to you to try and help you see the situation for what it is. The powers that be want this to happen and they are going to get their way one way or another. I know it suck for you to have swallow this shit with a smile but, well it is what it is, right?”

“You can wait outside by the front desk while I make a few phone calls.” Fisher told him.

Harkin stood and sketched a salute. “Jawohl Mein Kapitän.” Trying to do his best Sargent Shultz impression as he turned to leave.

Fisher stood and grabbed his arm “You better be on your best behavior out there. I’d hate to have to arrested for disturbing the peace.” He told him menacingly.

Harkin smiled at Fisher “I’d never think of causing you problems Captain. I’ll be over there on the bench minding my own business until you’re ready.”

****************

Another hour later:

Ellie walked out the rear door of the station rubbing her wrists. They were sore from overly tight the handcuffs they had put on her to walk her the hundred feet or so from the interrogation room to the door. At first the cuffs had made sense. She had assumed they were taking her to some kind of transport back to California but then Sargent Sanders had unlocked them between coughing fits as they reached the door and told her grudgingly that she was free to go.

“Better take care of yourself sweetie. Sounds like you’ve got quite the cold coming on. I guess those deep hidden desires of yours are going to come true after all. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” She told him in a voice dripping with sarcasm as she took her bag from him.

“You smart ass little bi….” he started to growl at her but was interrupted by more coughing.

“You poor dear. See you in the lady’s section soon sweetie.” She gave him a blatantly false look of sympathy then blew him a kiss as she walked out the door.

Now outside she took a deep breath. “Ahh the sweet smell of freedom.” She thought to herself with an internal giggle. “Now to find the others.” She reached into her bag and pulled out a cell phone. Before she could even get it powered all the way up a stranger’s voice called out to her.

“Ms. Wolf?” a man asked as he approached her from the shadow of the streetlight.

Fear filled Ellie. For a moment she wished Nicole or Wendy were with her. “Yes. I’m Ellie Wolf.” She replied. “That’s close enough, please.”

The man stopped and smiled. “Sorry if I spooked you ma’am. My names Harkin. If you would allow me a few minutes of your time, I have an offer to make you.”

“Offer? For me? What kind of offer? From who?”

“Well Ms. Wolf, hey can I call you Ellie?” He asked.

“I supposed there’s no harm in it.”

“Great, just call me Harkin.”

She nodded. “What can I do for you Mr. Harkin?”

He smiled again. “Are you hungry? There’s a coffee shop just down the block. I’m beat and could really use a cup of joe. My treat.”

She looked at him very seriously. “I’m not the type of woman you want to trifle with sir.”

“Oh, trust me Ellie I know exactly who you are and all about your friends. I wouldn’t dream of bringing the wrath of the red head, ahh Nicole?, down on me by trying anything untoward. Life’s too short for that kind of stuff.” He told her seriously. “I just want some coffee and what I have to say to you is probably best said anywhere else but behind a police station.”

Ellie nodded. She had to admit he wasn’t wrong about their location being less than ideal and coffee did sound wonderful. “Lead on then Mr. Harkin.”

A few short minutes later they took their seats in a booth as far from the rest of the customers in the coffee shop as they could. The place smelled deliciously like donuts and coffee. Harkin ordered one for himself and Ellie a blueberry muffin to go with hers.

After the waitress walked away Ellie asked. “So, what is this offer you have for me Mr. Harkin? Did Colonel Jordon send you? Is that how you know about me and the others?”

“No Ma’am. I’ve never met the Colonel personally, but I understand he’s a man under a ton of pressure these days. The people he answers too have been up his ass big time since he let you and Dr. Greyson go.”

“Poor man. I guess he should have thought things through before he agreed to our deal.” She said without any compassion.

"Maybe. Either way he’s going to be really pissed off when he finds out you were set free.” Harkin told her.

“How exactly was I set free?” She asked.

“Let’s just say the people I work for have a lot of connections. Matter of fact we’d like to add you to our little collection of troublemakers, if I can be so blunt.”

The waitress returned with their coffee’s and her muffin. Ellie used the moment to consider what Harkin had told her. “Troublemakers? I am nothing of the sort.”

“In the eyes of the people in charge you’re the worst kind of troublemaker Ellie. You managed to keep how many people out of quarantine? Do you even know the number? I sure don’t but it was a lot more than people like Jordon were comfortable with.”

Ellie considered his words carefully then finally asked “Ok I’m intrigued. Tell me what it will cost me.”

“Cost you?”

“Nothing comes for free Mr. Harkin. So, before I even hear your offer, I want to know the price.”

“There is nothing we want from you Ms. Wolf. We want to provide you with money, resources, whatever you need to continue with your mission.”

“My mission?”

“Yes ma’am. We can get you set up wherever you’d like and fund you restarting what you had going back in San Francisco. In addition, we’d like to reinforce your personal safety with a team of military trained enhanced new women.”

“Would you now?” She asked with growing skepticism. “Just out the goodness of your heart huh?”

Harkin smiled with growing respect for Ellie. “Ok I’ll level with you. Your groups activities alone make those in power look weak and ineffectual which meets our ends. So, we want to get you back in business with a guarantee of no more interference from the authorities. The warrants on you and the rest of your group, except Mr. Quinlan, have all gone away. The police and the military will never bother you again. We will provide you whatever cover you need and keep them at bay. In essence, you get to go back to doing what you were doing before the raid on your warehouse with no fear of that ever happening again.”

“Why doesn’t Warren get the same pass as the rest of us?”

“I have no idea, Ellie. I’m just the messenger and that was the message I was given.” He told her honestly. “But if you accept our offer, it will be a lot harder for anyone looking for him to arrest him.”

“True enough.” She said obviously considering the offer carefully. It would start to set things back on the right track and possibly relieve some of the guilt driven rage she’d been feeling. “These militarily trained new women, would they be from Ft Rawlings?”

Harkin nodded.

“Anyone added to our group would need be….ummm….pleased with their transition. I already have trouble with one of my group because of her resentment of Dr Greyson. I can’t have enhanced women among us with the same issues.”

“We are aware of the potential problems and anyone we bring to you will be properly screened.” Harkin assured her.

Ellie nodded back at him. “Speaking of problems, what about the rest of my people?”

“I think it’s safe to say they are close by. While I was waiting for you, I saw Dr. Greyson and the age regressed one, Carol I believe, trying casually case out the police station while pushing a stroller.”

Elie smiled at the mental image. “That must have been a sight to behold. I’ll need to contact them before they do anything dumb.”

“Probably a good idea but you have to admire their loyalty.”

“Yes, I love them all dearly. However, I was talking about the ones that were taken after the raid. I’d want them all released.” Ellie told him.

“Ellie, I’m good but no one is that good. As far as I know your people were spread to the four winds after the raid. Any place with room is where they went. You’d have better luck trying to herd cats than track them all down. That being said, I will however pass your request up the chain if we have a deal.” He said then asked. “Do we have a deal?”

Ellie looked him in the eye, searching for whatever it was that he wasn’t telling her. She had always fancied herself someone that could see deception in a person before it came out, but she’d missed it in Mia and again in Vera. No longer sure of her own instincts she said a quick prayer and told him “I supposed we do Mr. Harkin.”

“Terrific!” he exclaimed then handed her a card. She looked it over. It contained what looked like account numbers and a phone number. “The accounts listed on that will give you access to whatever you need for money. Should it start to run low my people will refill it. The phone number will allow you to get in contact with me if the need arises.” He stood up and dropped twenty dollars on the table. “That should cover the bill. It’s been a pleasure to meet you, Ellie. Good luck.”

“It’s been interesting meeting you also Mr. Harkin.” She told him getting up herself.

Once outside Harkin hopped into his rental car and drove off. Ellie stood there a moment wondering if she’d made a deal with the devil. Nicole would tell her it was once they were reunited; she was sure. That was a conversation she was looking forward to and dreading at the same time. With the way things had been strained between them some hard truths were going to need to be spoken before healing could start. However, nothing was going to start until she made a phone call. She reached into her bag again and pulled the phone out. She dialed and a moment later the ether end began to ring.

Nicole looked at her phone in disbelief as it buzzed. “El?” she asked as she answered.

“Yes, it’s me sweetie.” Ellie answered smiling at her friend voice.

“How? Where are you?” she asked confused.

“I’m down the street from the police station I hear you had Carol and Sam casing out.” Ellie said trying not to giggle at her friend’s confusion.

“Down the street? They let you go?” Nicole asked still not comprehending.

“Yes. I’ll tell you all about it as soon as we meet up. We have a lot to discuss. Can you come and get me?”

“Yes, I can. We’re not far from you actually.”

“Great honey. And Nicole?”

“Yes?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too El. See you shortly.” Nicole told her with a tear of relief running down her cheek as she hung up.

**************
Reynolds 2pm:

Dr. Stanley sat at her desk alternately fuming and shaking with fright. She just had to do something to regain control of the guards in the facility if she was to continue on with her work, but Hutchinson had her by the short and curli’s. There was no way she could call Colonel Jordon and get him to order the Lieutenant to do as Paula told her. He’d have her removed if he knew that she was hiding enhanced ones from him, never mind the experiments she’d been doing on them. She shuddered to think of what he’d do to her if he found out both Logan, against his orders, and Major Brady, despite what she’s told him, were still alive. No, she’d have to handle this herself, or perhaps a surrogate would be a better route.

With that thought, she sprang out of her chair and walked quickly out of her office, telling her secretary “I’m going to be downstairs a while. If anyone is looking for me tell the I don’t want to be disturbed and take a message.?”

“Yes doctor.” Was the reply she barely heard as she hurried down the hall to the elevators.

With her usual lack of patients, she jammed her thumb into the call button half a dozen time before the doors opened. She stepped in quickly and pressed the button for the floor she wanted. The elevator door slide closed and down she went. Stepping out she spotted guards outside the infirmary door. She was tempted to ask what they were doing there but thought better of it.

“Just ignore them. The insult of having them there won’t last long if things work out.” She silently reminded herself as she strode past them and into the isolation ward. She walked past the desk without so much as word to the nurses manning the station.
One of them called out after her “Doctor Stanley!”

“I don’t have the time right now.” She called back as she hurried down the hallway. She stopped in front of cell 3C and looked through the window at the mess inside. Guess he still won’t let anyone clean it.” She thought.

She took a deep breath and put her thumb on the intercom button. Was this really the right thing to do? Was this solution going to be worse than the problem? Without acknowledging her own inner voices, she pushed it. “Major?”

“What do you want you, fat fuck?” replied the disembodied voice of the woman that used to be Major Craig Brady.

“I’d like to speak to you Major. I need your help with something you might enjoy doing.”

A hearty laugh was the only response.

“I’m serious Major.” She said trying to hide the annoyance in her voice.

“Fuck you…doctor.”

“Major, I need your help.” She insisted.

“God, you stupid cunt. I told you to fuck off.” The Major groused. “Unless of course you, want to step in?”

“I need you to kill Hutchinson.” She blurted out trying to hold herself together. “You…you can name your price.”

“Kill Hutchinson? Lieutenant Hutchinson? The head of security?” she asked dubiously. “Why?”

“Does it matter?”

“No, but I’m curious to know if it’s a good reason or just your petty bullshit again.” The voice said with a laugh.

“She’s taken to disobeying my direct orders.” Paula told him with her typical self-important air.

“So petty bullshit then. You’re so predictable Paula.” She said then went quiet for a moment. “Fine I’ll do it, but I want Logan in return.”

“Major….” Stanley started to argue.

“That’s my price fatso. Take or leave it.”

Paula swallowed hard. “Fine. You can have her.”

The Majors smiling face suddenly showed up on the video call screen. “Better not fuck with me on this, this time Paula. “The Major’s tongue suddenly appeared on the screen as she licked the cage around the camera then smiled. “I don’t think the guards will be too happy to hear you let me out on purpose to kill their commander if you try to have me dragged back here after the deed is done like the last time. Don’t think they’d like that one single bit.”

“I..I won’t. You can have her. After it’s over, you come back here, and I’ll have her here waiting for you. If she’s not in your cell you won’t have to go back in there.”

The Major considered her words, savoring the idea of finally getting his revenge on Thomas Logan. The idea of what he would do to Thomas made him so hot she began to touch herself. “When?” she croaked. Her throat had gone suddenly dry with excitement.

“If we have a deal, I’ll let you our right now.” Trying to ignore the scene on the monitor.

She groaned as her hands began to explore all her sensitive area’s “I need an hour doctor.” Was the answer as she intercom clicked off.

Dr. Stanley stood there staring at the intercom panel in disbelief, the sighed and head back towards the elevators.

*********
Greyson Labs 3:15pm:

“What the fuck do you mean she was released?” Colonel Jordon screamed into the phone.

“As I told you Colonel. We got word from the Governor’s office saying Elijah Wolf was to be released and all charges against her and her companions were to be dropped. Apparently, the Federal warrants are also being dropped according to the letter delivered to the station where Ms. Wolf was being held from the US Attorney General’s office.” Reed informed him.

“That’s bullshit Reed and you know it. I want her arrested again and held until I can get to the bottom of this!” Jordon demanded.

“I’m sorry Colonel, my hands are tied. Until you get things figured out on your end and the warrants are reissued, I have nothing to hold her on, even if I could find her again. We had to return the RV’s they were traveling in as well. I’m quite sure that they’ve, if you’ll excuse the rehash of an old saying, gotten the hell out of Dodge by now, Sir.”

“I’m not amused Mr. Reed.” The Colonel told him furiously.

“I’m sorry colonel but there’s really nothing else I can do for you. You’re going to have to get ahold of your superiors in Washington if you want more information.”

Charles Jordon, the head of the army’s USAMRID research division and commander on the front lines of the Acidalia epidemic pulled the phone from his ear and tried to get his temper under some measure of control. He was apoplectic. Who in their right mind would let Ellie Wolf go? He took several deep breaths trying to calm himself to no avail. Eventual he began to kick the trash barrel under his desk repeatedly until some of the agitation worked its way out of him.

After he felt he’d regained a measure of control he put the phone back to his ear and heard Reed asking “Colonel? Are you still there?”

“Yes Mr. Reed, I’m here. Thank you for your time. If I can ask a favor, with all previous charges against them dropped could you please have the police keep a close eye on them until they leave your jurisdiction in the event, they commit a new crime to which charges can be filed?” Jordon asked him in a measured voice.

Smiling to himself on the other side of the line Reed answered “I think we can do that Colonel. I’m sure the state police will gladly keep as close an eye on them as prudence will allow.”

“Thank you, Mr. Reed. I hope to hear from you before too long.”

“I hope so too Colonel. Have good afternoon, Sir.” Reed told him before hanging up.

Jordon put the phone down and just stared at it for a long moment shaking his head. He tried to make sense of why anyone would want a known terrorist like Wolf released and all charges dropped. “Fucking politicians.” He thought to himself angrily.
He needed Wolf and Greyson back in his custody if he was going to save his career. He was done for and soon unless Ryan could come up with a cure. “Sure, and Jesus will miraculously appear on the bay and walk across it to Oakland tomorrow.” He thought grimly. He sighed to himself trying to decide what to do next. Calling the Secretary of Defense might help but they still hadn’t even returned his call about getting permission to land a plane at Edwards. He threw his hands up in the air in exasperation. He missed having Tyler around to talk to at times like this.

He sighed and looked at the other phone on his desk. It was his direct line to the White House. In all the time since it had been installed, he’d never once made a call out on it. He was a career military man. The chain of command was all important to him. Making a call on that phone would be breaking that chain, but this wasn’t an ordinary situation. At least not to the Colonel. He needed to know why they’d let Elijah Wolf go.

Sighing once more he packed up the receiver and waited for the other end to answer.

****************
Washington Dc 6:30pm EDT:

Davis Carlyle sat on the plush leather seat of the best booth in his favorite Washington restaurant savoring the flavor of the bone in ribeye he’s ordered for his dinner. He’d been invited out by Robert Smith, one of the most prominent lobbyists in town. They were there to discuss his nomination as vice president and where he stood on the issues that affect Mr. Smith’s employers while they enjoyed a scrumptious meal, paid for by Smith of course. The conversation had gone well. His reelection coffers would soon be overflowing with donor money due to the deals he was making.

“Not that there will be an election once Fullers out.” He thought as he took another bite of his steak. As he chewed, he felt his phone buzzing in his pocket. He rolled his eyes as the interruption. He considered not even looking at it but if he was going to be the VP his days of blowing phone calls off were over. He looked at the number and saw it was Blake calling.

‘Excuse me, Robert. I need to take this.” He told his companion as he got up. He walked out to the coat room then answered. “Yes Blake?

What do you need?”

“We have a pair of potentially huge problems, Davis. I just got off the phone with a very perturbed President Fuller. Apparently, Colonel Jordon called him about the Elijah Wolf situation. Then General King, the marine commandant was here not long ago with a very interesting story about your car.” Blake replied.

“My car?” Davis asked.

“Yes. It seems General King is in possession of the registration for it.”

“How?” Carlyle felt his mouth drying up as he asked.

“He said he got it from a Colonel Sa’heed at Quantico Marne base. Apparently, your missing person surrendered herself to the Colonel two days ago. She’s being held there as we speak.”

“She’s on the Marine base?”

“That’s what the General said.”

“What else did he say?”

“King told me an a rather interesting story of Dr. Ryson being kidnapped and held at a house in Virginia owned by our friend Bastion. He went on to recount the doctors’ story of how she was saved by her would be assassin and escaped in your car.” Blake said matter of factly.

“Shit.” Was all Davis could think to say.

“Yep. Shit indeed.” Blake replied. “What do you want to do about this?”

“Can King and Sa’heed be trusted?”

“They are career military men, high ranking to boot. I’d bet their loyalties would rest with the democratically elected leader of the country.”

“Hmm” Davis said considering. “Can you have Ryson moved somewhere it will be easier to get to her? Good as Harkin is I don’t think he’s up to assaulting a Marine base.”

“I think we can get her moved into FBI custody right there in Quantico. She’s a civilian. There’s no need for her to be held in military custody.” Blake said.

“Good get working on that. We need her to be easily accessible.” Carlyle said.

“And the General and Colonel? What do you want to do about them?” Blake asked.

Carlyle Davis thought silently for a moment before replying. “Maybe it would be best of the General and the Colonel met with accidents. The fewer people that have direct knowledge of my involvement in Virginia the better. At least until after the confirmation hearings are over. Once I’m in office it won’t matter much.”

“It’s both our necks if any of this gets out before then. Maybe that’s the kind of thing Harkin’s people should handle rather than someone publicly connected to us, even if it’s obliquely.” Blake told him.

“Yes, that would be right up his alley. I will call Harkin in the morning and get him on it.” Davis agreed.

“This needs to be handled very delicately. It can’t look like anything more than a pair of terrible accidents.”

“I know it does. That’s what Harkin does best.” Davis reassured him.

“I don’t like this one bit, King and Sa’heed would be good men to have on our side after Fullers out, but I suppose it’s the only way it can be handled.”

“Agreed.” Davis replied. “Now what’s Jordon calling Fuller for? I thought you had this stuff back stopped.”

‘We had that direct line to Oval Office installed when we first set things up at Greyson. Jordon is so pissed off about Wolf being set free he called the president directly.”

“I take it Fuller wants answers?”

“He’s looking for me to launch an investigation alongside the justice dept.” Blake told him.

“Well, that’s something at least. We can control it if you’re leading the military side of it.”

“I’ll do what I can but it’s going to be harder to keep her off the radar if Justice issues another warrant for her.”

You’re just going to have to make sure that doesn’t happen then aren’t you Mr. Blake?” Davis said threateningly.

Blake puled the phone away from his head and looked at the receiver for a moment before replying. “I am not some flunky for you to order around Davis. You better remember that when you speak to me!” Blake said angrily.

Carlyle shook his head and sighed quietly. This was not the time for dissention in the ranks. “Yes of course. My apologies. Do you think you can keep them in check until the hearings are over?”

“I will do what I can.”

“Good. We will get through this Blake. We just need to stick together a little while longer.” Davis said trying to sound consolatory.

“Yes. We are on the same page.”

“Good. Now if there’s nothing else, I have a lot of money waiting at my table and I’d like to get back to it.” Davis told him as he hung up not waiting for a reply.

***********************
Reynolds:

Major Brady stood in the hallway near the elevator bank half hidden by supply shelving waiting for her prey patiently. The feel of the uniform on her body was something she’d missed terribly and at the same time it felt terribly alien on this new body of hers. It was quite literally the most clothing she’d worn since her transformation. At first, they’d tried to get her to wear the same one piece the rest of the inmates at Reynolds used but she refused to go along, more out of spite than anything else. It was the same with trash in her cell. It wasn’t that she liked it that was it was, she just wasn’t going to do anything they told her to do. She felt despite her current condition she should still be in charge of the quarantine, and she was going to be damned if she was going to listen to that bloated cow that they’d replaced her with. That included keeping those the director asked her to interrogate alive.

This opportunity was exactly what she’d been waiting patiently for. Stanley was as weak as they come, and the Major knew it would only be a matter of time before the military personnel stationed here would see her for what she was and refuse to do her bidding any longer. That would lead Stanley to come to come to her for help. Now that day had finally come and after the deed was done, good luck to whoever she assigned the task of getting the Major back into her cell. Hutchinson needed to be removed if her plan to retake the facility was to succeed. First the Lieutenant the Dr. Stanley and once they were out of the way permanently, she’d have her revenge on Logan, and oh how she’d suffer for what she’d done to him.

She heard door to the infirmary opening yet again. Brady slipped a mask up to cover the bottom half of her face and looked around the shelving down the hallway to see her target, Lieutenant Hutchinson exiting. Brady watched as Loren stretched her arms over her head and yawned before turning and heading up the hallway towards the elevators. It was the perfect set up, Hutchinson looked tired, fatigued, like she’d been up far to long and only wanted to find her rack and sleep.

Brady stepped out from blocking shelving trying to not look suspicious and saluted as Hutchinson walked by. The Lieutenant saluted back without even looking at her and continued past her, stopping at the elevator bank.

Brady turned and followed her at a safe enough distance that her prey wasn’t aware of the threat. Stopping, the Major stood slightly behind the Lieutenant and waited patiently for the elevator to arrive. Brady didn’t have much of a plan beyond follow and wait for the opportunity to present itself, so she watched and waited. She could have taken Hutchinson right there and then but there was too much risk of being seen by someone exiting the infirmary. She needed just a few minutes of privacy if she was going to get away with it.
A bell dinged signaling the arrival of the car. They watched as the door slid open and two armed guards stepped out. The four uniformed personnel saluted briefly and the two moved on to whatever destination thy were headed to.

Major Brady followed Hutchinson into the car making sure to stand just back from her. They were alone in the car and Brady savored calm she felt. It was the same feeling that came over her before inflicting violence of any sort. Until this moment she hadn’t realized how much she’d missed the feeling. As the car began to slide upward Brady stepped forward and wrapped her arm around Hutchinson’s throat.

“You’ve been a bad girl, Loren.” She whispered into the Lieutenant’s ear.

“Brady?” Hutchinson questioned with surprise as she began to pull at her attacker’s arm.

“Surprised you recognized my voice. It’s been a while, Loren. I’m touched.” Brady told her sarcastically as she tightened her grip around her neck.

“Who…who let you out.”

“I bet you know that answer already Lieutenant.” Brady punched the stop button on the elevator with her free hand.

“Stanley.” She replied with sudden understanding.

“Bingo. You win the prize. You should have known staging your little rebellion was going to send her into a panic and ultimately in my direction to fix things for her. I should thank you really. Without you I’d still be locked in that cell.”

Hutchinson didn’t reply. She began to struggle harder to free herself. Brady, being smaller now and lacking in the exercise Hutchinson regularly engaged in, struggled to keep her hold on the taller woman as she pulled a knife out of one of her uniform pockets.

“The doctor says you ae relieved of duty Lieutenant.” Brady said calmly as she stabbed Hutchinson in both kidneys. The Lieutenant cried out, but this was only the beginning. Brady used the knife to stab her in the back of the leg forcing her to the floor and landing on top. The Major stabbed her torso again and again and again, relishing each and every blow she inflicted. It had been such a longtime since she’d felt the joy of meting out pain like this on another, she nearly couldn’t bring herself to stop.

Several minutes later the elevator arrived at the fourth floor. Brady looked down at his victim watching Hutchinson choke out her last few breaths. She smiled with satisfaction as she watched. It had always been her creed to stay with her victims and watch the light go out. It was her demented way of paying them a final respect for giving her so much pleasure. The murder had aroused her sexually, which was a far different reaction than she used to get as a man. It was all she could do to keep herself focused on the mission.

Now that the deed was done the question was what to do. She didn’t really believe Stanley was going to deliver Logan to her cell. That meant she’d have to find her on her own, but not like this. She was a blood-soaked mess. There was no way she’d be able to just wander the facility in this condition. The Major was going to need a way to distract everyone. Looked back down at Hutchinson’s lifeless body again as an idea came to her.

With her foot she rolled the body over. She reached down and took the head of securities ID badge from around her neck and her gun from the holster.

The Major strolled down the fourth-floor hallway trying to look casual as she could with her blood-stained uniform. She reached the guard station and without a word shot the three people manning it. She stepped around the desk and using Hutchinson’s ID to confirm the command,
she unlocked every cell one the floor.

************

Confirmed Cases: 77,483,267
Actual Cases: 141,984,231
End part XVI

As always thank you for reading my little transgender Dystopia. I truly hope you enjoyed the ride. If your so inclined please leave a comment.

AttachmentSize
Image icon Acidalia.png1.01 MB
up
27 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the patients are running the

the patients are running the asylum and trying to take over the country.

Spent all day yesterday reading this from the start

Dystopian - yes, and a very good example of the genre. It's been so long since this began that I can't remember if I read it when first published. Characters are a classic mix of the good, the bad and the ugly with some truly revolting bad guys, including pscho's, crazy priests and modern day nazi doctors. Sadly too many of the bad people are quite believable.

Interesting read, particularly so in a post (we hope) covid world.

Alison