At The Kajabbi Pub

Printer-friendly version


At The Kajabbi Pub

by Joannebarbarella

v>

This is NOT an entry in our 2024 New Year's Competition

********

The flies must have thought all their Christmases had come at once. Well, I guess they weren’t that far out, seeing as it was the third of January. The reasons for their joy were the rivers of sweat pouring down my face and the moisture from my back and armpits plastering my shirt to my body.

The greedy little buggers must have thought they were water-skiing on Sydney Harbour, I was so wet.

Yes, it was bloody hot but what else do you expect in North Queensland in the summer. It must have been 40 C in the shade, but there wasn't any shade. It was either that or a thunderstorm, and as drenched as I was I really didn’t want it to start raining, even if that would have got rid of the flies.

I was dressed in standard Queensland summer gear, socks and Red Wing work-boots on my feet, the Red Wings well worn in, khaki Hard Yakka shorts over regular briefs (no give-away panties) and a khaki work-shirt with two breast pockets. I was lucky that I had had my Akubra with me too or I would have been fried. Even so, my hair was sodden. But it kept the sunburn off.

My handkerchief was drenched from wiping the sweat rolling down my forehead and into my eyes.

There are a few unbreakable rules in the bush, one of which is “look where you’re going”. I wasn’t. I was looking all around, trying to suss out any problems we might have for the next section of the road we were building instead of where my Landcruiser was pointing. I drove straight into a long and deep patch of bulldust at the wrong speed and in the wrong gear. Even my four-wheel-drive couldn’t handle it, so there I was, well and truly bogged, about five miles south of Kajabbi.

There was nothing for it but shanks’s pony, so I started walking. The flies lost no time targeting me and the only other companions I encountered along the way were two goannas, a pair of dingos, a snake and an emu with her chicks. They didn’t give me any grief so I didn’t bother them either. No roos. They’re too smart to roam in the middle of the day. Their times are dawn and dusk. Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun, and, yes, I’m English, or I was when I came out here ten years ago.

I had been walking for about two hours when I came over a small rise and, lo and behold, there in front of me was the Kajabbi pub, like an oasis in the desert, or the Wizard’s palace in the Land of Oz, even if it was only a corrugated-iron shed with those wooden windows which opened at the bottom, propped up by a pole. Very basic air-conditioning.

Anyway, right then, I didn’t care. All I wanted was a cold drink and somewhere to rest out of the blazing sun. Then I could contemplate how to solve the rest of my problems.

Kajabbi wasn’t exactly a metropolis, its population was roughly twenty-five in those days. The pub was the entertainment centre. There was a general store, a police station which was a 40 by 10 prefabricated hut, similar to the one I lived in back at the camp. Next door was a neat Queenslander with a garden where the local cop and his family lived, and scattered around were a half-dozen or so run-down shanties. Oh, I almost forgot, there was a railway station as well. They got one train a week from Cloncurry.

It was the end of the line for now but people were hoping the railway would be extended. Gold had been discovered at a place called Gunpowder, about twenty miles to the west and there were plans to extend the line to the proposed mine-site. If that happened Kajabbi would become a full-blown mining town. Our new road would connect the place to the larger settlements to the north and south, Normanton, Cloncurry and Mt. Isa.

I didn’t exactly stagger into the pub but I wasn’t galloping either. Yes, it had bat-wing doors! Once in the gloom inside I took off my hat, wiped the sweat from my face and looked around. Only a few of the more stubborn flies stayed with me and I swiped them away. The only occupants were a couple of blokes sat at the bar, about my age, obviously ringers or station-hands who looked as if they had started pretty early. Official opening time was 10 a.m. but nobody took much notice of that in these parts. Then there was the barman and the local copper, who was sitting by himself at a table writing a report or something.

He was a friend of mine, all six-foot-six of him, and I was tremendously glad to see him.

He looked over when I entered, “G’day Mac. ‘Ow yer goin, orl right eh? ”

“G’day, Tiny. Could be better but I’ll survive. Talk to yer later.” I went to the bar, sat on a stool and spoke to the barman, who I hadn’t seen before.

“I don’t suppose you have a Chardonnay?”

He looked at me as though I was an alien from Mars. “What’s that?”

“It’s a kind of white wine.”

He all but sneered, turned to the shelf behind the bar and came back with a bottle in each hand. “If it’s plonk yer after, we got red and we got white. This is Kajabbi, not the Hilton in Brisbane. Which one do yez want?”

I looked at the offerings. The white was sauvignon blanc which I normally hated, but I was hot, dry and thirsty. The red had no label but knowing where I was I reckoned the grapes had probably been picked from the shady side of the boat at four o’clock in the afternoon, sieved through a sweaty sock and poured into the bottle a few minutes later.

“I’ll have a glass of the white, please.”

This time he did sneer but poured me about two-thirds of a middy in a beer glass.

One of the young guys at the end of the bar turned to his mate, “I tolja. He’s a bloody Pom.”

“Nah, I think he’s a poofter,” said his oppo.

“A girl, more like it.”

“Same thing.”

I didn’t rise to the obvious challenge. All I wanted was to relax, drink my drink and rest my weary legs. In a way I couldn’t blame them because some of our boys from the camp used to come here on Saturday nights to get plastered and then have a good old-fashioned punch-up with the equally drunken locals. All good fun and generally no permanent damage done.

I continued to mind my own business while they eyed me. I took one sip of the wine. It was warm, so I asked the snarky barman, “Do you have any ice, please?” I didn’t like sav blanc and I specially didn’t like warm sav blanc. At least ice would mask the taste and make it drinkable.

“Of course we have ice, sir,” he replied, trying to imitate an upper-class English accent and failing miserably.

I don’t have one. I come from Brighton (well, Hove actually) not bloody Eton.

Continuing with his witticism, he asked, “One lump or two, sir?”

By this time I was tired of being belittled by morons. I snarled, “Fill up the fucking glass.”

I may have startled him because he did exactly that.

However, his two sozzled mates at my side of the bar took it as an invitation to start the fight that they were looking for and got off their barstools.

That was when Tiny stepped in. “Listen, you ratbags, just sit down and behave yourselves. Tom, give these bludgers a triple rum each on my tab.”
Tom, evidently the barman, did as Tiny instructed. The ratbags basked in Tiny’s generosity and retreated back to their end of the bar.

You really didn’t want to upset Tiny. Apart from his size and his position he was a bit of a legend in his own right.

I had come to know him because he was the armed guard on our payroll runs. In those days we still used to have to pay our men in cash, which meant we had to travel from the bank in Mt. Isa to our construction camp with tens of thousands of dollars in a four-wheel-drive and the insurers insisted that the money was protected. We were allowed by the Queensland Police Force to hire Tiny for that duty. I was happy to have him on board because otherwise it fell to me. We had a rusty old pistol at the camp which scared the hell out of me and also I didn’t have any ammunition so if anyone tried to rob us I would have had to point the gun at them and yell “Bang!”

He was a real outback character. When I started on the job I had an out-of-date NSW Driving Licence. I told Tiny and the next day I had a brand new QLD Licence. Strictly speaking I should have had to take a fresh driving test, but Tiny didn’t care about that.

He just did the right thing.

If you wanted to embarrass him all you had to do was mention his Bravery Medal. A young aboriginal stockman had got his knickers in a twist over something and held his station’s managers at bay for a six hour siege with a rifle. Tiny just walked up and took the gun from the kid.

His other little quirk was a fascination with fast-draw. He had an old-style Western gun belt and a Colt 45 and he would go out onto the airstrip in the evenings and practise his fast-draw. He was rumoured to have killed more beer-cans than anyone else in Queensland.

And he was a lovely, unassuming man.

He watched our two trouble-makers finish their rums and told Tom to pour them two more triples, and then he watched them drink those, too. He gave them ten minutes and dragged them off their perches. By now they were glassy-eyed and could hardly stand. He took one in each hand and marched them out of the pub. “Just hang on a minute Mac, and I’ll be right back.”

So I sat and finished my drink until he came back, grinning. “They’re safely stashed until tomorra. They’ll sleep it off in the lock-up and then I’ll send ‘em back to the station.”

“Why did you shout them the free liquor, Tiny?”

“Saves wear and tear on the knuckles and I just add the cost of the drinks onto their fines.” He turned to Tom the barman. “You’d better watch yourself, mate. You don’t know who this is,” pointing at me. “He’s the Project Manager on the new road, so give him a bit of respect.”

Tom sort of gulped and gave me a sickly grin, which I took as a kind of apology.

“Now, Mac, what’s your problem?” questioned Tiny.

I told him about getting bogged and how a ride and a tow would set me straight.

“No wucking furries. The ute’s outside. Let’s go. We’ll have you set in half an hour.”

So we set off in the paddy-wagon. As soon as we were on our way he turned to me. “Well, are you still dressing?”

“What do you mean? What are you talking about?” I knew full well what he meant but I was gobsmacked.

“Wearing dresses and such.”

“Who told you that?”

“Look, don’t get shitty. First of all, I’m the local cop, so I’ve gotta know what’s goin’ on, so I don’t get any trouble I can’t handle. Second, some of your boys told me about it, the party you had and how well you scrubbed up. Wish I’d been there. So, are you still doin’ it?”

“Nah, I made a resolution to give it away. I’ve got enough problems as it is.”

“Pity. I reckon you’d make a pretty good lookin’ girl. I’d like ta see ya. My youngest boy is sayin’ he wants ta be like his mum when he grows up. Thought maybe ya could give me some advice.”

Tiny was married with three kids, all of whom he doted on.

I shrugged. “Tiny, all I can say is be patient with him. It may go away or it may not . Time to start worrying if it doesn’t. You don’t need advice from a weirdo like me causing you trouble.”

“Mac, you don’t even register on my weirdo meter. This is the Queensland bush. You have no idea how many nutters we got out here.”

“What, like that kid whose gun you took away?”

I was trying to distract him from focusing on my strangeness.

He laughed. “Young Willie? Nah, I knew he wouldn’t shoot me. He just needed a bit o’ time to calm down. I used ta go huntin’ pigs with his Uncle Darcy and we taught the boy how ta shoot. He didn’t actually hurt anyone. I’m just sorry I had to turn him in. I look in on him every month and as long as he behaves himself he’ll be out soon.”

He eyed me. “But we were talkin’ about you. “Why stop? You’re not hurtin’ anybody.”

“It’s hard to explain, but it does cause problems. Some people don’t like it. I figured it would be better if I just stopped. That’s my New Year’s resolution.”

“OK, your choice, but if you ever dress again I want an invite.”

“Sorry, Tiny, not gonna happen.”

We were back at my bogged vehicle so that conversation ended, much to my relief.

We tied a rope between the cars and pulled mine out, no problems. Afterwards we shook hands and went our separate ways, without broaching that subject again. I went back to our construction camp and took a bottle of chardonnay from my personal supply. I went into our wet canteen and had my first decent drink out of a proper wineglass. Cold wine that I liked. I had only the one and then I went back to my quarters, stripped off and had a long shower to wash away the grime of the day.

I washed everything, including my matted hair. I have to say that, after my two-hour bushwalk it felt wonderful to get clean. Only one problem, I just couldn’t resist using my fragrant shampoo and conditioner, which led me to using my scented soap. When I finished I felt so feminine and one thing led to another.

Everything went downhill from there. All the old feelings came back and when I dried myself off, blow-dried and brushed out my hair, I had to tell myself that I really couldn’t…. mustn’t…. wear those beautiful clothes that were calling to me with a siren song. That lovely underwear, the pink nylon panties with the lace trimmings, the matching bra and the inserts which would give me the curves that I always desired.

I couldn’t help myself. I succumbed to temptation, put on my underwear and a pair of thigh-high stockings, took a nice eggshell-blue dress, with three-quarter sleeves and white lace trimming from my wardrobe and finally began to feel like myself.

I couldn’t just leave things like that so I had to make up my face and put on a bit of bling. I even went mad and did my nails. Finally, the shoes. Had to be heels, yeah, why not?

So here I was, all dressed up with nowhere to go. But then, I did have somewhere to go. The boys had all seen me so there was nothing to be afraid of except myself. Let them have another look at the real me.

It’s a Project Manager’s job to inspect the camp regularly and there’s nothing that says how you’ve got to be dressed when you’re doing it. Deep breath and out of the door of my donga. Nothing to be afraid of. I walked around in the evening shadows, poked my head into the dining hall and the wet canteen. I took care to stay on the concrete walkways; I didn’t want to break either a heel or an ankle. Nobody took any notice of me.

There you go. It was a pretty stupid resolution anyway when I think about it. I had no hope of sticking to it and making it work. Being honest with myself I didn’t have my heart in it and if you really want to quit something you have to mean it.

Looks like you’re here to stay, Joanne.

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Watch Me Wallabies Feed, Mate

Your story has true grit.

It's a reminder that we come from all kinds of backgrounds.

Thanks for that.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

The Roos Were Asleep

joannebarbarella's picture

I did work out there for three years and was in civil engineering project work at the sharp end in other places for twenty-five years. So, yes, you can find us anywhere and everywhere.

Funny, here I am writing about hot, dry and dusty while much of North Queensland is under water following record rains. That's Australia for you.

Thanks for the kind words, Jill, and I'm looking forward to your story in a week or so.

Queensland

The reddest of Red Heart rednecks come from there. I remember years ago, when I had cycled from Perth around the coast of Western Australia and then up into the middle of the desert, temperature ranging from -2 C (28 F) to 44 C (113 F). On returning to Perth, I took a 'holiday' at Cairns to recover from the cycle ride by reef and volcanic lake swimming, the flight from Perth landed at Uluru, so I went from a spring day in Perth with a breezy Fremantle Doctor, to the bone dry oven that is Alice, landing in Cairns just as a full-on tropical thunderstorm broke. The humidity was unbelievable.

There are two things you pick up quickly in Australia, one being the habit of checking grass etc before you leave a path--for snakes. The second is the Aussie Wave, a one handed up-and-down motion by the face, to chase flies. When cycling up a hill, they settle everywhere, including crawling up the inside of your sunglasses.

My own Akubra is hanging on the door behind me.

Extremes

joannebarbarella's picture

In the desert, or semi-desert, one of the good things is the difference between night and day temperatures. It means you can sleep at night!

You would definitely be rated as a nutter for cycling through Western Australia. The location I've described is pretty harsh and I've tried to make it true to life. It's weird that right now much of North Queensland is under water. When I was working out there we also had record rains one year, and it was said that the Gulf of Carpentaria moved south by 200 miles. Kajabbi was a seaside resort for a month or so. The only access to many places was by air.

Yeah, the Great Australian Wave was a reflex and you definitely kept your mouth shut.

Tiny

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Hey, maybe Tim Cratchit moved to Australia in the alternative universe where his father was paid enough to care for him properly, and the little boy grew big and strong, maturing into a 6’6” legend of the Outback! Naturally, Tiny retained his heart of pure gold.

Thank you for this story, Joanna. No, not everyone was accepting, and the boys in the pub played the script you would expect. But both Tiny and Mac’s own crew demonstrated how people can surprise you in the very best ways. Moreover, your writing is crisp and fresh, your descriptions pop and your dialogue always brings a smile.

Emma

This Was True-To-Life

joannebarbarella's picture

Tiny really did exist and was much as I described him. One time we had floods and had to do a couple of payroll runs by air. All the bush-pilots were young blokes bent on getting their hours up. We were in a single-engine Cessna halfway between Mt. Isa and our camp's airstrip. There were four of us in the plane, Tiny and me in the back, our pay-clerk and the pilot in front. The pilot decided to show our clerk how to do a stall, without telling me or Tiny. When we were back in level flight Tiny stuck his gun in the pilot's ear and told him if he ever did that again he was a dead man. After that we flew straight and level.

Thanks for the kind words, Emma. You and Jill are shining examples of real writers and you're maybe dragging me up to somewhere near your level. As my teachers used to say "Pay Attention Now!"

Joanne

Brilliant!

Lucy Perkins's picture

I love your portrayal of Tiny and Mac's friendship. Thank you Joanne, a brilliant glimpse of another time and place.
BTW, what's wrong with Sauv Blanc?
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Author's Licence

joannebarbarella's picture

Lucy, you probably couldn't get anything other than vin rouge horrible and vin blanc horrible at a bush pub in those days. Wine was still thought of as a drink for women, girls, and sissies. Mac was being a smart-arse asking for chardonnay! Some hope!

I have nothing against Sauvignon Blanc per se. There are a whole range of different tastes depending on the vineyards, from quite sweet to quite dry. There are even some Chardies that I don't like!

Tiny and Mac were friends. The Aussie bush makes you either friends or enemies, but generally it makes people help each other. It's too easy to die out there.

Thanks for commenting,
Joanne

QLD

I've a trans friend who is a volunteer fire person in QLD. Totally accepted by the crew. Stereotypes are cracking everywhere.

Acceptance

joannebarbarella's picture

Australians are great volunteers, particularly in small communities outside the big cities. There are so many things that can go wrong, from floods, to bushfires, to vehicle break-downs, road accidents, etc. When a helping hand is pulling you from the roof of a building sitting in the middle of a flood you don't stop to ask them if they're trans or gay or refuse the hand because it's a different colour to yours.

The most important thing is knowing that somebody has your back and they're there to help or rescue you.

I'm sure your friend gets the respect that he or she deserves.

Thanks for commenting, Byteback,
Joanne

Just For The Record

joannebarbarella's picture

This story is not supposed to be here YET. I buggered the timetable up though my clumsiness with computers. First, I lost my original draft by trying to insert a picture into the narrative. I failed and lost the lot except the picture, which was, of course, useless on its own.

So I had to recreate the story, sticking as close as I could remember to the original, which I think I achieved. However, I was now terrified of losing this version, so I wanted to check that it would post without problems and I put it into Create Content to make sure the layout was OK.

Anyway, I did something wrong again and there, all of a sudden, my story was posted! I was meant to be the Ghost of New Years yet to come, but now Angela Rasch (Jill) has to do it. Who knows, it may be better that way? I've seen her story, and it's great.

I Love It When a Plan Comes Together

Your story has been part of drawing eyes to the contest announcement.

Something is working because the announcement has had over 1,500 hits. If normal ratios apply we could have . . . Crickey! That's a uteload of story entries.

All three of us have contacted a few authors we hope will take part. I hope everyone's muse cooperates.

It's been so long since I've posted a story. I hope it's like riding a bicycle!

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Sunflower watched the second

Sunflowerchan's picture

Sunflower watched the second ghost past through the fadding pink walls of her room, through a stack of manga and light novels and through a collection anime DVD's. She gazed for a long time at the spot were the ghost had stood, still helded in rapture at the story the ghost had shared with her. A rattling cough then filled the air. Time was ticking by and she knew she had to finish. And so as a cold, eastern wind rattled the bare tree's outside, causing their bare branches to scratch at the young woman's window. Sunflower thanked the secound ghost and booted up her computure and started to work on her tale. Very much aware she had but one more ghost to see.. the deaded ghost of stories yet to come!

Ah! Dear Sunflower

joannebarbarella's picture

I don't think you need the clanking of chains or the rattle of ghostly computer keys to stir you into action. You are no Scrooge, doling out stories in miserable little mouthfuls. NO! you are going to give us the full turkey, nicely sliced, with cranberry sauce topping it.

We look forward to your entry, which will mirror all that manga and anime.

That's Irony For You

joannebarbarella's picture

Here I've written about how hot and dry the bush is and just next door (in Aussie terms) there have been record rains and many towns and small settlements are isolated and cut off by floodwaters. The property damage is estimated to be in billions, and many locals are facing massive clean-ups.

Couple this with the fact that we are only days away from Christmas and it's heartbreaking. The coast up there relies on the seasonal tourist trade to keep them afloat financially and, naturally, people are staying away.

That's Australia for you.

That beer advert

Podracer's picture

Came inevitably to mind, but it was sherry not chardonnay involved.
Now that "resolution" (more than most, I reckon) was unlikely to hold for very long. Especially with the wardrobe unpurged.

"Reach for the sun."

Fosters?

joannebarbarella's picture

Bloody Victorians. We drink XXXX up here! Or at least we did in those days.

Podracer, you are 110% correct. Sorry, I should have responded sooner.

Castlemaine

Podracer's picture

I confess I did have to search to confirm it! But yes that advert is loose on the web, and was for XXXX.
Which has a whole continent named after it, must be good stuff ;-)

"Reach for the sun."

Dressing...

RachelMnM's picture

A g'day indeed! Cute story that could make an even better sequel if Joanne helps Tiny's kid out.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

I'll Look Into It,Rachel

joannebarbarella's picture

I'll have to see what Tiny and his wife think about that!