what is the secret to creating interesting fleshed out characters

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

How do good writers do it? How do you flesh out a good character that the reader can see and care for in their mind

To create good characters....

erin's picture

To create characters that readers can see and care about in their minds... you have to see and care about them in your mind. It really is almost that simple. There is craft and talent, skill and science to doing it well but the key thing is the feel you yourself as writer have for your characters.

How do you get that feel? You do a lot of writing. You do a lot of listening. You do a lot of caring, Then you do some more writing, more listening, more caring.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

or you get lucky

I have several character's that people fell in love with. Jenny from God Bless the Child comes to mind. Most people don't know this, but Jenny is modeled after a 3 year old girl I knew when I was in high school. She was a friend of the family's daughter, but always had a great spirit about her.

The other character I think I lucked into was Andrew from Unreachable. That is one of the character's I didn't model after someone. I knew what the character was going to be and invented him as I went along. The teacher, Ms. Rosenthal, was modeled after my fifth grade teacher of the same name. Sometimes it's better to use reality than make up things on the fly. If you model after people you have a reference.

The interesting thing is I make great evil characters. Most of it is people I came in contact in my life. From Curtis Bergeron in GBTC (Modeled after my step father Ritchie Bergeron) to "pastor Nan" in Unreachable (there really is a pastor nan, her son is the one who robbed me blind) I have come into contact with some real winners. If it wasn't for Erin Halfelvin, I would have no faith in humanity at all.

Katie Leone (Katie-Leone.com)

Writing is what you do when you put pen to paper, being an author is what you do when you bring words to life

Hmmm...no, lucky has nothing to do with it.

Care about the characters, knowing the feelings they have or having empathy enough for them to genuinely write about them. I'd never treat my characters as if they were created and became good characters by luck.

Bailey Summers

Erin has it right

When I started this game, I remember stating that I didn't believe I was someone who could write twisty plots, and so I wanted to concentrate on character-driven stuff. As a friend said to me today, a story only works for her if what takes place in it happens to people that she cares about.

I care deeply for my characters. Some of them have grown from people I have known, some are cut from whole cloth, but all of them are very, very real to me.

Assuming that I qualify...

Voodoo. Really, I write instinctively, so if anyone cares about my story and plot, it's a shot in the dark by me that somehow manages to hit.

I have a few ideas on how it works for me though (again assuming I qualify). I use what I say in the characters perspective, as well as what I don't say, to paint the picture of the character over time.

I have a feeling many people can tell me who Minerva and Maeve are, for example, just by having read the chapters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

You qualify.

I write very much the same with a on the fly way of writing in the moments and chapter by chapter. Organic writing I call it.

Bailey Summers

Detail and ambiguity

I find its something of a balancing act. In order to create a 'real' character, I need to know everything that I can about the character. From "do they prefer Pepsi or Coke" down to "are they a visual learner or tactile learner." And everything in between. The reason for this is that I have to be consistent for the character not to strain credibility... though, its important to note that a character can be terrified of heights but still go up on the roof to save the cat to impress a potential romantic partner. You just have to let them collapse in spasms afterward, when no one will see. It's also important not just to pick details arbitrarily... no matter what combination of nature and nurture you personally think is what we're made of, everyone makes choices and has likes/dislikes based on those things that have happened previously. I might be naturally inclined to like dogs over cats, but if I got mauled by one as a child; I'm probably not going to keep one as a pet. Even if (on the street), I'm capable of stopping and petting one while talking to its owner. At the same time, if I like dogs more than cats; that stigma associated with dogs isn't necessarily going to make me choose a cat as a pet. Knowing your character to that degree... keeps you from writing things that the character would never do. Which keeps your reader from asking 'why?' and getting pulled out of the story emotionally.

At the same time, there's a level of ambiguity necessary in writing any protagonist. The reason for this is that for your reader to put themself into the story with your character; there has to be 'room' in the character for the reader to fit. This is how you get real depth of sympathy... when the reader engages with the story as if your characters are embodiments of them. To accomplish this.... you have to leave room for the reader to fill in the blanks. How do you do that when you spend all that time making sure you know every detail about the character? That's easy... just because you KNOW the details and use them to keep you on track... doesn't mean you have to put them into the story.

And that's how I try to work. Right on that line between brilliance and madness. :)

Reminds me a lot of Maggie Finson.

She has some incredible stuff she used to/still uses for character outlines. The little stuff's so important.

Bailey Summers

A character should have ...

A character should have ... character. Traits that define him or her, traits the readers can identify with and/or see in people around them every day.

How to do it? Let their words and actions speak for their characters. When there's dialog, who said what should be recognizable from the way it is said. When there's action, the way they do stuff should have some unique aspects. And it should be consistent. When a character acts or says something seemingly out of character, it should be the reflection of a special situation.
And there should be some developement. The course of the story should have an impact on their character. Show the reader how the characters are at the beginning, show them how they changed.

Write to your readers.

At first in my stories I wrote about an abused and unwillingly feminized protagonist and got some some good reaction. But when I wrote about an inadvertently transitioned man who became a really hot babe, that could get really pissed and rip her enemies hearts out and had a tiny pistol that had the power of a tank cannon and was sassy too. The readers liked her very much more. Hmmmmm.

Hehe

Oh yes, definitely know your target audience. :)

Actually, its something we talk about a bit at the Whateley forums... because while the original Whateley Universe came about at Sapphire's Place and all of us were writing TG Fiction... we ended up with a huge audience base that isn't involved in TG Fiction at all. Between the super-hero high school genre and the depth/scope of the world; we brought in readers from way outside our little sub-genre.

They are real to me when they

They are real to me when they tell me their stories. A great way for me to get people into the story is to write in first person so the readers are in the shoes of the main character and can feel part of the story. As to fleshing them out I only use what is pertinent to the story, and the sign of success is when you get questions about them and when readers want more. Just keep writing and listen to feedback from readers.

I suppose you could say that I had a sort of cop out ...

.... since my main character (Julina) is a young adult and is still very much learning.....

This has enabled me to make her make mistakes. And so I can screw things up, but blame it on HER

*grin grin grin*

I sort of agree with a lot of stuff above.
I see Julina, I see her family through HER eyes - sometimes I hve to stop her being too good, though. It is only through mistakes that anyone really learns.

I think having spent a lifetime reading books has helped me.
When I was young, growing up in the hard times after WW2, there was a series of books that grabbed me. It is fashionable to demean, put down, make snide remarks at things that (have) become (became) institutions, but the Biggles books awakned a lifelong interest in geography, maps, flying, and so on. From these books I have an excellent basis of where countries are, what perceptions most people have about these countries and so on.

The Biggles books always had the 'goody' triumph over adversity - many were updated versions of earlier books (first posted as WW1 storylines, then revamped into WW2 storylines). There were 101 Biggles books in all. And there was a female character in parallel - "Worrals". There were 11 books in that series.

So I leant an enormous amount by reading stories from a young age.

I have just had to dump my collection of hard and soft back books --- advertised for over 6 months and no takers, no-one wants real books any more. So over 3000 books have been tossed into the "old paper" collection at the local dump.

But to get back to characters, reading all these books has given me an idea of what works.

One really chilling novel I read once was chilling because the story was written from that character's point of view, and her actions, appalling as they were, were presented as being normal, logical behaviour. It was just the logic circuits weren't quite as others are.

I write as I believe that Julina would act, trying always to remember that a) she's young, b) she's from a very sheltered community and c) she is in a what we would consider a backwards society some 2 or 3 hundred years older, when seen from our point of view.

Julina's #001 is actually a complete story about someone else entirely and I tried to imagine myself being that character. I think it worked.

Okies, enough rambling from me, I need to get back to polishing the next Julina episode....

My advice would be to "not try too hard" --- write it first, leave it a little while, then go back and reread it. Your gut-instinct will tell you more than anything else.

TTFN

J

Writing Dialogue

There is a discussion at another site where I write, and we started talking about writing character dialogue. Since dialogue is a key part to making your characters fleshed out and meaningful, I figured this might be helpful. Here is a list of a few tricks I've learned for writing dialogue. I feel the first 2 are the most important, personally.

1: Be organic: Have a basic outline for what you what to come up in the dialogue, but after that, let if flow as naturally as you can. Don't force issues if you can avoid it. If a minor point doesn't seem to fit in the dialogue, leave it out for now. You might be able to bring it up somewhere later, or as part of a character's personal reflections.

2: Be real: Try to put yourself in character and think and "write" like they would. I try to do this by developing certain mannerisms and key words for each character. Think about the real people in your life. They often have certain words and actions they use more often than others. Bring that out in your writing. Pet names and catch phrases are great tools for this. Having characters of different backgrounds or intelligence level is another good strategy.

3: Actions: It's usually good to break up dialogue with physical actions, character reflections, and narration, so it doesn't seem like the characters are just throwing lines back and forth. These actions work especially well for transitions, which are the hardest part of dialogue for me.

4: Being Direct: Sometimes, it's OK to do a hard stop to move the dialogue forward. If a character has something on their mind, it’s perfectly OK for them to come out in mid conversation and say something like, "Hey, I need to ask something." Just don't do it too often.

5: Being awkward: Sometimes, it's OK to be awkward, just do it in character. Having a character that is not a great conversationalist can help move things along with inappropriate comments and transitions. Just make sure your audience knows it's the character, not you, the author.

6: Write ahead: If you write a few chapters ahead, you can always go back and spruce up your dialogue from the last few chapters before posting them. Sometimes new information comes up that allows the conversation make more sense. Or sometimes, as in point 1, you can take something that doesn't fit, and you'll now know where to add it.

7: Let your dreams guide you: I usually find I am most creative when just waking up or drifting to sleep. I try to write these thoughts down as soon as I can. Flesh out the details of how they are going to be structured later. This can be tough, especially when you think of something when in bed at night and need a good night's sleep! :P

Dialogue

I have said this before, but it bears repeating: people do not speak like film characters. There is very rarely a clear and direct flow that isn't interrupted by filler and checking, hesitation and confusion. There are lots of grunts, half-words and so on. Good dialogue writing hints at that without getting swamped.

By 'checking', I mean that habit of an awful lot of people to keep checking that they are being listened to and understood, yeah? There is an awful London phrase which irritates the hell out of me, and it is transliterated as 'Narmin?" In full, it would be "Do you know what I mean", narmin?

I've found...

erica jane's picture

that reading your dialogue out loud does wonders. If you stumble through it, you'll see where to fix it.

In fact, this isn't a bad idea for your prose all around.

Or so I am told...

~And so it goes...

Find out who you are, and do it on purpose.

That's a Dolly Parton quote: allegedly,from the movie A Walk To Remember.

Myself, having written some interesting characters for nearly twenty years now(at least that's what folks tell me :) ), I still tend to allow them to discover themselves by accident. They know as much about their world as they need to; which is often surprisingly limited because we're not all world travelers(which I have been.) or grand historians(not so grand, but I get by). However, as the author, I have to know more than that, so each person (or even nonperson)can increase in experience at any given moment in the larger story. Sometimes they refuse to learn, because that's their nature, but there will be consequences; always.

But understand that this is a learning process for the entire course of your narrative. Like with my Kolchak;Nylon Stalker stories, where the heroine is not stupid(relatively few of the characters are, because it's more interesting when smart folks screw up.), but because her mentor is holding back crucial bits of information, often her conclusions are wrong.

The other aspect of this particular series is that Kolchak was originally an old reporter and a professional cynic who: once his soul transferred into a young woman's body, was already on a mission. His/her actions were therefore determined by the parameters set by that quest: in this case living the life of Karen Klein exactly as she would have. So the fun part of this was deciding whether Carl/Karen's occasional deviations were off-point or predestined.

But this is just one means, where you might make another choice with your own creations. My only real advise is don't overwork character points, or labor so hard on the how or why of each action they take. Otherwise they'll be stick figures, not fully functioning beings. Trust that you can give them enough info to get started exploring their world, and an end for them to reach, then just have fun.

Um...

Angharad's picture

...two thousand episodes tends to flesh them out somewhat.

Angharad

Can a Character Self Create?

Often times I begin with an outline and a character sketch and then all of a sudden the Character takes over, almost like he has a mind of his own, and I become just a recorder.

Sometimes the story works well with the Character in control, but ... sometimes I have to quit the story as the Character gets out of control.

I saw a TED presentation by Elizabeth Gilbert ("Eat Pray Love" and "Coyote Ugly") where she talks about artistic inspiration; How it is found, and lost and what to do when you discover it.

Characters have to be inspired, they have to become real, they must be alive, at least in the Authors Mind.

I sometimes tell people who I am friendly with, but who are not friends, that "They are just a figment of my imagination!"