Falling . . .

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

If anyone has a chance to check out my new story, Falling, I'd love some feedback on a plot device.

I'm still trying to decide the manner in which the main character, Nick, switches bodies with the girl who was falling. I've considered the Great Shift, or some other kind of cosmic intervention that places the soul of a person that wants to live in the body of a person that does not.

This story is loosely based on a news story I heard about a 16-year-old girl who jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/18/us-bridge-fall-idU...

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hrist

Why not?

Andrea Lena's picture

...something entirely new; your own 'universe' so to speak? I think the story demonstrates that you have the creativity needed to craft something from scratch. I thought it was excellent!

Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Falling . . .

Why not have it be like City of Angels (film) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Angels_%28film%29 where two souls exchange bodies as they suicide at the same time and in the hospital, find that they are soul mates and their bodies are renewed to early adulthood so that they can live long happy lives

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Who needs an explanation?

When one of my characters was shot in the head by a twelve gauge, he ended up in an white void talking to a smart-alek angel. The angel then shoved his soul into the body of a junior high student who had just tried to OD on sleeping pills. The explanation simply amounted to divine intervention.

But you don't even need that much of an explanation. You can just make it happen and leave the mechanics as a mystery. That's how it happens in the 'Soul Survivor' universe.

Speaking of universes, I agree with Drea that you can make your own universe. Most stories are self-contained or are in universes that only the author uses. It works well that way because you don't have to worry about following anyone else's rules or stepping on anyone's toes.

I haven't read your story yet. I'm looking forward to it. It's about two tabs over on my browser :-)

I don't have a vote per se, since it's your story.

But I agree with Drea and Ray(I'm sure you're quite a nice person even though I don't know you). You probably will do just as well to make your own rules in your own universe. The story rocks, BTW!

Barely Madcap Belle

Sour Survivor

erin's picture

For a plot device, you might consider the one in Soul Survivor.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Thanks for the interest and

Thanks for the interest and suggestions, everyone!

I've decided to make Falling a self-contained story for now with its own unique way that Nick and Sukiko swapped bodies.

I think it will add a lot to the tension if Nick has to figure out what's going on as he deals with the changes to his mind and body.

Thanks!

Hrist

when I did "I woke"

I had both characters having a near-death experience at the same time. While the girl "crossed over" the guy ended up waking up in her body. But I agree with the others. Make it your own universe, and have the transfer happen any way that seems to make sense to you.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Thanks for your suggestion

Thanks for your suggestion Dorothy, I really liked that story.

I decided to do something similar with Falling, though the connection between Nick and Sukiko is different.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions.

Hrist