A dilemma, sort of ...

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

A reader brought this to my attention this morning; a story has just been posted to FM entitled Genomorph Alpha. The author states: "This is a rewrite and reimagining of a previous story I read here."

After giving the story a quick scan, I found numerous sections that are taken verbatim from my own Genomorph, almost like they were cut and pasted. (You think??)

Anyway, I'm just looking for some ideas on what I should do. There's no way to contact the author privately. Should I post a comment to say my permission was not sought before the story was posted, or should I just contact the webmaster at FM? Maybe I should do both?

Thanks for any thoughts.

It's your call

erin's picture

I've never had it happen to me but this sort of thing has happened at FM before and once here at BC. The author of the original, in this case, you, has all the rights to the derived work. You can ask that it be removed and the FM people will do so.

I would do that rather than make a public comment there, the FM board is not always a friendly place and you might get rude comments by some people there.

But you don't have to do anything, it's up to you.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Do both

Scott,

Since you have no way of contacting the "author", I'd say email the webmaster and ask that the story be pulled down. And while you're waiting for that to happen, post that you did not grant permission for that person to use anything from your story, either the world you created or the text that was plagerized.

If you feel gracious enough, you might want to ask this person to contact you privately about his/her actions. Myself, I'd favor a good butt-kicking!

In the meantime, don't let this distract you from the sequel we're all waiting on. And you might consider a comment in all your stories from now on refusing permission for anybody to write in or use the characters you've created without first contacting you for written authorization.

Go get 'em!
Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

No Excuse

People have a different attitude about ownership than they did fifteen years ago.

Think about the pirated films and the "free" downloads of songs.

What would have you done if you had been contacted? Would you have granted permission?

FM should pull the story and the author??? should apologize to you, but don't hold your breath and don't invest too much anger or time in seeking justice. The quasi-author must have self esteem issues to steal your work and pass it off as hers.

I agree with Erin, the FM board will attack you if you post there, because that's what they do. Being right won't mean a thing in the Alice in Wonderland environment on that board.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Up to you

At least he paid you a sort of homage by using the same name for the story + "Alpha" and indicated that was a rework of another story. Still, at the very least, he should have given you credit by name for whatever liberties and cut & pastes he used from yours, and certainly he should have contacted and obtained your permission beforehand.

It's possible, although, it doesn't excuse it, that whoever wrote/copied it didn't know quite how to handle this. If this is an attempt to deceive, then it's one of the clumsiest I've ever seen. You could leave a note on the Hyperboard simply asking for the author to get in touch with you, and a comment requesting the same on the story itself. That's probably how I would handle it. If that doesn't get a response back within a couple of days, then I'd ask for its removal from the staff there in an email. It's happened a couple of times before and they were responsive.

I know that I'd be pissed-off if someone did that to me (and maybe a liitle flattered), and Genomorph is a major work. It must have burned up many months, if not years of free time and hard work. I've seen authors complain and get very upset about far less.

I can't see why anyone would give you flack for that on the Hyperboard (and who cares anyway), or for just demanding its removal immediately. You're within your rights. Cut and paste plagarism isn't controvertial.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

what I would do

I would e-mail the webmaster and ask it to be removed as your permission was not asked. The author does state in the comment that it is a rewrite, but while that may be a good writing exercise it is not publishable in my opinion and web posting is publication

My "review" on FM

Scott -- Here's what I wrote in the 'review' section of your plagerized epic:

THIS STORY WAS IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM REWRITTEN WITH THE PERMISSION OF SCOTT RAMSEY, THE AUTHOR OF GENOMORPH!

Fictonmania needs to remove this plagerized submission until Mr. Ramsey contacts the webmaster. Fictionmania's webmaster also should've contacted Mr. Ramsey to confirm that this was authorized.

I agree with Karen J -- go after FM in an assertive, yet respectful manner and leave the flaming to us fans.

'Attacks' on the FM board?

Erin, Angela, Where did you get the idea that anyone would get attacked on the FM message board? That hasn't happened in years, since registration has been offered and Carol Collins has been OKaying unregistered guests posts.

If there is a complaint about plagiarizing, simply send a note to:

[email protected].

Steffen, the chief of the fearless volunteers is right on top of things, he'll take care of it promptly.

Most stories posted to FM are not read by the volunteers before posting, they are simply formatted for FM's pages and posted. There is no way to tell if a story is plagairized until an author complains.

Mr. Ram

Clarification

erin's picture

I didn't say attacked, I said rude comments. And rude and unnecessarily hurtful things have been said on the FM board. It may be better now, it seems to be, but people have long memories and it does still happen. Current FM policies draw a line that can't easily be crossed but that line is not where I draw it here.

And yes, FM will act promptly on complaints about copyright infringement, as promptly as I would myself.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I said attacked

and I have the scars to prove it.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I wasn't as nice as you'all

Basicly I told the skin-flint to shove it where the sun never shines!

I qouted Monty Phython

"We" are NOT amused!

So, let it be written

So, let it Be Done!!
(Yul Bryner)

Konichiwa

Look at the Upside, If there is one

Who was it who said, "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right?"

That anyone would your take your work as their's or produce a derivative work and not properly credit you proves you're worth stealing from.

I saw it up at FM and thought it looked odd too, I thought maybe it was a kind of fan fic, but one: the person should have asked and two: they should have said this was their interpretation of your original work.

That they apparently did neither is at best sloppy and the work of a beginer or plain out plagerism. Personally I'd be thrilled if someone was inspired by my silly rants enought to do a derivative work or a parody, but I would expect proper courtesy and recognition in their work.

Karen_J has an intersting idea, but isn't that whup-ass?

Congrads. on being worth stealing.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

FM update

As of this moment, there are three other comments besides mine, and all are slamming FM for allowing the "rewrite" to be posted.

Karen here's the torch

I agree that to "borrow" an idea is one thing. Even then it should be mentioned where that "idea" came from. This is just plain "ripping" you off and not giving your hard work just due. I agree with Karen that a strong but polite response is needed. "Speak softly, but carry a large stick." (Teddy R.) Hey Karen's a red head right? ("Temper, Temper) Oh, here's the torch and I've got the matches, just hold it still.
grover-

Grover, please!

I'm a blonde. A natural blonde! Not one of the many imitations that gives us blondes a bad name.

And are you asking me to carry a torch for you? Suh, we've hardly been properly introduced! You're movin' a mite fast for this poor Southern girl!

Back to topic: The story is still up at this time, hopefully that will change soon.

Hugs!
Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Maybe Grovers a Northerner

With our cold artic winters up here in the greater Milwaukee metro area -- out of my garden you pesky polar bears -- we don't have the time for the gentile or is that genteel sensiblities here.

As a light brown -- what's left of it -- I challenge you to a dual over Karen's honor. I suggest 280mm Atomic Canon at close range. Don't you love that fifties kitch.

Back to the topic, nail the bugger to the wall Scott.

There, I feel so much better now.

John in Wauwatosda

John in Wauwatosa

Added My Piece of Mind to Scott's Defense

... here at http://www.fictionmania.com/review/readreview.html?command=s...
I added my own message to the foray of anger already present.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reviewed by Sephrena Miller on 09/25/2006

Greetings!

Mr. Michaelson, I suggest you obtain an author's permission before plagiarizing another author's work. You do realize, by plagiarizing, you are discrediting yourself as well as opening yourself to a possible lawsuit. Do yourself, Scott Ramsey, and us a favor by removing this story. You might also write Mr. Scott Ramsey a letter of apology.

In the future, when writing a story, if you need to quote another story or sections of it as a source, seek that author's permission first. There are copyright and infringement laws that will be enforced and I don't think the costs of a lawsuit and monetary damage awards is worth the time or effort to try and impress the rest of us with playing off someone else's idea as your own. even adding "(This is a rewrite and reimagining of a previous story I read here.)" doesn't give you permission to do what you did.

If you fail to learn this lesson now, you will never be a writer. You will become vested as a criminal for stealing. And if you ever rip off or steal my stories or material from them without written permission from myself, you WILL be in court and I will be suing you for infringment and theft of intellectual property! I'm not 100% sure about such a lawsuit being a federal matter on the internet but I would think so because it crosses all state lines. Hopefully it would, so it would make you a felon and you would lose a lot more than just money. You are lucky Mr. Scott Ramsey has not done so yet!

Sephrena Miller

I agree with Angela Rash...REALLY I DO!

On this matter and what she wrote about flaming at the FM boards and comments. Many authors know all about FMs policy of letting down right disgusting comments to remain with no other comments to the flamers other than their original warning posted for comments.

They do have a quick response when dealing with plagiarized material being posted as original works by others. They do ask that the original author provide them with proof of the plagiarism or stolen story as their own though.

Fanfiction is one thing a few sites allow without first obtaining the original authors permission if the characters names have been changed and the story line is different than the original.

Why one would do that (must be newbie writers) I have no idea, but it has been done in the past and will occur again in the future.

Huggles
Angel

Be yourself, so easy to say, so hard to live.

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Thanks everyone

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I have contacted the webmaster at FM and requested that the story be removed. I am going to hold off on making any public comment there for the moment, but that could change if it stays up past tommorrow.

I thank you all very much for your words, and I especially thank everyone who left a comment on FM regarding the "rewrite". You guys rock!

Wait ... wait ... breaking news here. I'm watching the Heroes series premier and they just had a blonde girl jump off a tower while her friend video taped it ... and she healed in seconds! Now NBC ... they might be worth suing!

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Oops!

Sorry Karen! As a struggleing want to be writer (complete with bad grammer and spelling "sigh"), I understand how hard it is to coax a story from being between one's ears to the paper. That's only part of the work (a labor of love maybe, but Work!) to get a story written. When you add in research time, edit, re-reads, and such you're talking about a real investment of self in this. Very few actually gets paid for it and those who are able make the "leap" to professional takes copyright problems very seriously! I am a great fan of the Genomorph stories. They are well researched and a fun read. I love the characters and am very interested whenever the sequel is completed. (Oh, be still my pounding heart!) I am very unhappy to hear that anything is interfering with said sequel, and while Karen (Sorry again Karen!) is a natural blond, I am a red head and yes a temper does come with the hair! Maybe, I wouldn't burn down the offender's metapyshical house, but a little smoke never hurt anyone. Okay, maybe more than a little. Remember, polite and frimly remind them that this is not right and the matter WILL be corrected!

It is one thing to be inspired by someone elses work. I know that I've been inspired by others here, but it is just doing the right thing to get permission to use another's words and works.
"Okay, I've put the torch down. Match?, what match?"
"Rant Completed"

Problem solved

Breanna Ramsey's picture

As of noon EDT the story has been removed from FM. Thanks again everyone!

After a summer of tinkering with several different stories I am back to working full time on Genomorph 2. If all goes well it will be ready to post around December or January.

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

-- Tom Clancy

Great News

Nice to see your problem resolved.

December/January, hum? My birthday is December 18th, can I have a present?

Grover, be nice to Karen, what with a Texan in the Whitehouse, she has us out gunned. Oh, thanks for the loan of Miki.

Best wishes

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Not really gone

Scott, if you have the link to the ripoff saved, you might try clicking on it. I saved the links to the reviews and story details, and trying them just now I was able to access those portions. So I suspect the story was not really removed, just delinked.

If I were in your shoes, I would not be satisfied until the story is GONE!

I'm consoling myself over the long wait until December or January by remembering that fiction of the quality you write takes time. I'm sure the wait will be worth it. BUT (stamping feet on floor), I want it NOW!

With poorly concealed frustration,
Karen J.

George Carlin

Some of us Can Wait

I hope all the links have been broken and the ripoff is well and truely gone.

As to the next Genomorph, I can wait. I am not PUSHY like some people. I would never ... Ah hell: Karen, when with the next parts of KARI! be done? Huh, huh, huh? I'm holding my breath, you'd better write or I'll pass out.

See, some of us can wait. Sadly, I don't think I'm one.

Best wishes Scott,

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thanks Karen

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I can still access the story through my browser history, but I suspect that is probably because the page is still stored on my computer. I checked on FM and Jeffrey Michaelson does not even appear in the author search, and a file search for Genomorph only turned up my work, so it appears to be truly gone from FM.

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

-- Tom Clancy

Looks like it's true ....

Breanna Ramsey's picture

... every cloud does have a silver lining. I just found a couple of very nice, new comments on FM for Genomorph. One even mentioned finding the story because of this incident.

Gee ... that gives me a wicked idea ... no ... no, I couldn't do that ... it would be bad ... right???

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

-- Tom Clancy

Dear Scott

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

I'm sorry, I just read your complaint and felt compelled to add a note.

I have no idea what you can do about what seems blatant plagerism from what I read in your post. Likely very little if anything. I'd give you a warm hug if I could and if you would alow me.

Though it probably feels a little like rape of your work, (Another hug is likely needed here - please accept it?) please keep these things in mind;

1. In one way it is flattery that someone found your work so inspiring that they felt the need to copy it.

2. Once you set something out on the net it acquires a life of its own and is out of your control, and unless the people that run FM have a moral code to disallow plagerism you will just have to find solace in the sympathy of you loving friends and readers.

If I was too harsh PLEASE accept my appologies, it was not meant that way.

with love,

HER

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Hugs are always accepted

Breanna Ramsey's picture

Thanks so much for your support. I am over my initial outrage and as I said above, it has attracted new readers to my story and that is always a good thing.

FictionMania was great about the whole thing. The offending story was pulled the next day, and the author was sent an email explaining why it was pulled.

I can't express enough how great the support from everyone has been, and once again I thank you all.

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

-- Tom Clancy