TG Anime and Manga 11

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I keep harping on the Japanese manga HOUROU MUSUKO by the woman author Takako Shimura (on ONEMANGA) with its almost documentary though fictional treatment of a transgendered boy and girl. For writers about transitioning some of the scenes in HM might be of inspirational value.

In the most recent chapters (Nos. 65-71) the children “come out” to their friends, schoolmates, teachers and family. The responses to their choices are a catalogue of public attitudes toward anyone who wants to live differently. In the story Takatsuki-kun, the girl, is little bothered except for the occasional snide remark which passes as soon as the next item of gossip becomes popular. And she also fights back physically when the ribbing gets to be too much. Teacher attitudes are casual remarking only that her attire is improper, don’t do it again and then turn to their clipboards. Takatsuki-kun’s problems are more internal - who am I? what am I? - and she agonizes hour after hour over her identity especially during menstruation. She has friends to whom her dressing in a boys’ uniform makes not a whit of difference. In the latest chapter even a boy she doesn’t know “confesses” his love to her. To him her dressing in boys’ clothes is irrelevant.

For the boy, Shu, social ostracism for wearing a girls’ uniform to school becomes the paramount experience. His girl friend who usually tolerates his cross-dressing avoids him and his sister hides herself embarrassed at his behavior. Boys at school lock him out of class, acquaintances call him “weird” and run away, others shout “tranny” and still others while outwardly friendly inwardly despise him. However, Shu, unlike many TG kids does have a group of loyal friends who love him regardless of his choices though they are not much help with his internal agonies. Parents and teachers all remain utterly clueless and if anything seem to go out of their way to do something else rather than admit that he has a life crisis.

In the latest chapter Shu announces to a friend that he wants to be a woman “so that I can wear cute clothes.” While his reasoning might not satisfy those who have transitioned or the legions of physical and mental health professionals who deal with the TG community 13 or 14 year old Shu is up front to the world in what he wants. He regards the choice as his alone and no one has forced him. So far his future seems uncertain and fraught with the seemingly insurmountable.

TG COMICS: I have found this website to be one of the most active and open of the TG series. Its specialty is TG graphic art showing various male to female change drawings, retitled magazine covers and the like. The Forum series is very lively with a busy coterie of literate participants. There is an excellent Links page as well. Personally I’m not drawn to much of the art work except for a work by two Koreans, Sizzkun (the author) and Burntwitch (the artist). The story, GIRL IN MY DREAM, is a complex tale about a school boy who is possessed in his sleep by an attractive female spirit, a succubus of some kind, who gradually transforms him into something he doesn’t want. The art style is a series of sketches unlike most manga, but has a magic of its own. I find this manga or manwha (in Korean) to be one of the most engrossing I’ve encountered. There are a lot of “forced” stories on this website so it may not be for all.

MY BARBARIC GIRL FRIEND (on MANGA FOX): The story of a boy and girl whose bodies are swapped because of an incompetent grandfather scientist and his experiment machine. What raises this manga above the others is the agony of the boy who has become a girl and his/her process of accepting a life that he did not anticipate. It’s not one of those giggly panty mangas and to the contrary displays a rather serious element. While the “forced” theme may not appeal to some the plot, dialog and art work certainly should.

Ummm

not to be nit picky or anything mew, but I read Hourou Musuko and Shu clearly says that, "I want to be a woman, and wear lots of cute clothes"
That does not necessarily indicate that she only wants to be to wear cute clothes. Also Note the culture mew, from what I understand most asian culture doesn't reckognize transgender and transsexual very well mew. Shu may not be able to express herself as I am a girl, because she is taught it is impossible for her to be a girl as she is now, whereas here some may have the identity of that, "I AM a girl, I want to be me, whereas there it'd be. "I want to be a girl, I want to be me." And For Takatsuki kun, that boy is having some huge issues. I feel kind of bad for him, but he's been getting a lot of social pressure and stuff mew so I understand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, girlie girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Nice Response

Princesa Chelsea: Glad you've been following Shu and Yo-chan (family pet name). I'm always happy to stand corrected on the details. It's also good that someone closer to transitioned readers (and writers) than I am chimes in on this topic.

From what I can tell through reading manga and watching anime, attitudes toward any TG person are not significantly different in Japan from those here in the West. Maybe other Asian countries are less so, perhaps like Thailand, though once again someone who knows should add their two-bits worth.

If you've followed Shu's tribulations the only thing that hasn't happened to him so far is to be beaten up. Otherwise what he's gone through are what I've seen and experienced here in the States when I was growing up, and what still goes on even in a liberal city like San Francisco.

If you remember when Takatsuki-kun, Shu and Chi-chan arrived at school the two girls were partly or wholly dressed in boys' uniforms and Shu was in his girls' sailor uniform. The girls were given a short lecture about uniform correctness and Shu was banished to the nurses' office and then home. Of course dress rules in Japanese schools are generally tighter than here in the States but I could see some form of that happening here.

As far as the kids articulating their real internal gender I see them as being too young to express things clearly. In addition there is no supportive culture available to help them think things through. So far no adult has shown any understanding of their situation except Yuki, the transsexual. Many of Shu's friends including Takatsuki-kun did not encourage him.

While what the kids are going through may not be the same as here in the States it's not that different.

marie c.

marie c.

Well

From what I heard from my asian friends who are transsexual, they are highly looked down upon by their culture. I'd say more so than here, though then again I wasn't raised into american culture, I was raised Cuban American and it is HIGHLY looked down upon so is gay, lesbian, bisexual, ect mew ;_;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bisexual, transsexual, girlie girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Thanks again, Chelsea

That's why I think HOUROU MUSUKO is rarity in the manga series. I like it because it deals with the real issues of transgendered children in fiction form. In it readers can follow the stages Shu and Takatsuki-kun go through to reach the point of "coming out" - and the often destructive responses by their school mates and friends.

In manga format the issues become much less threatening especially to someone who knows nothing about transgender but may have an open mind. This series, if it's ever printed in hard copy, could be made available to the general public as an educational tool. Just like the Barbara Walters TV shows.

The majority of TG manga are light comedy productions premised on some variation of "forced" change or the need to crossdress for a job or to hide from someone. This is not to say that these manga aren't well plotted, artistically executed and enjoyable. I'm following a few of those now.

marie c.

marie c.