New Feature - Quick Pick This Week

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I finally got a gadget to work to list a week's worth of stories on a table with author, time of posting, # of comments and votes. Take a look and tell me what you think:

Quick Pick - This Week.

It takes a moment to load so I'm not sure if it's that good of an idea yet. :)

Hugs,
Erin

Really Nice

Frank's picture

I like being able to sort by title. It will make looking for a specific story easier.

Thanks!!

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Not slow

Came up quickly for me on dial-up.

KJT

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It's Great!

Piper's picture

Very Kewl Erin!

I'll have to try this out on my mobile, I think it will be a much better entry page for mobile viewing.

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks

You could book mark it

erin's picture

As a home page if you like.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Bookmark - Done!

Piper's picture

Just as soon as I finished posting my post, I loaded it on my phone. It loaded fast, and is very accessible. This is a great addition to the site, and thank you very much for adding it!

-HuGgLeS-
-P/KAF

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks

Blackjack

It worked pretty well on my Blackjack II smartphone, but the author colomn was still off-screen. No biggie, certainly a lot more viewable on my BJ2. Only thing I noticed is the Comments column seemed disportionately large for the text used. There again, no biggie.

KJT

"Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid."
Sir Charles Panther

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I like it, too. Not just sorting by title, but by date too.

Maybe it's slow on dialup, but it loaded in 3-4 seconds for me.

Any chance it can also sort by author? No biggie, just wondering

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

I like it

I don't know if I'd use it as a home page, but I do like it as an alternate view.

A couple of comments:
1) I'd like to be able to configure how many days are in the "Quick Pick"
2) It'd be nice to see a visual break by day.
3) It might be nice to be able to sort or filter by author.

I know - you just got it working, and here I go asking for changes. But, I'm a user, and users ALWAYS want more. :-) Some of the stuff they may want is impossible, of course.

Annette

What can and can't be done

erin's picture

This is not programming, this is using a module that's available for Drupal. I can't make it do many things that the programmer who wrote the module did not think of.

1. How many days, I might be able to do but that would be dangerous and would need safeguards and would take some actual programming, not worth it to me for the time it would take.
2. Visual break per day, that's just asking for whip cream. :) Too hard to do for a trivial cosmetic perk.
3. Yeah, I'd like it to sort by author, too. But the programmer just got LISTING the author category to work, let alone sorting on it. Maybe at the next update to the module.

Glad you like. Now we leave it up for a few days and see if it causes problems.

Hugs,
Erin

Kewl

It looks great and is readable without zooming in on my iPhone in landscape mode. I've bookmarked it as my mobile entry page for TopShelf. Here's hoping you don't wind up needing to take it down for some reason. :)

If it works okay...

erin's picture

...I've also got a 3day version without the comment and vote columns for people who have narrow-guage mobis. I've also got a one month version but that is like 300+ stories and seems a bit overkill. :)

Hugs,
Erin