It's only words

Printer-friendly version

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.”

Oh if only that were true.

For then, an ill-chosen word wouldn’t hurt.

“I didn’t mean that…” they say. So why say it?

If words were not so powerful, we would not have stories; neither would we be able to say “I love you”. It works both ways.

Often what we say is not what was meant.

So why is it surprising that those who lurk in the shadows here to read should be termed “guests”, whilst those who choose to openly frequent should be termed “users”?

up
17 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah

kristina l s's picture

But then many of us know that words can and do hurt a great deal. The pen, or tongue perhaps, is mightier than the sword or was that keyboard... Anyway, what's this? Trying to redefine the genre, Drabble as lesson. Nice.

Kristina

Here endeth the lesson

I gave it a go.

Not so difficult.

Lady E

Often what we say ...

... is what we meant, but often what others hear is not what we meant, but what they thought we said. In a world of text interaction, even the most well-chosen words can be misinterpreted.

For example, I infer from your post that you mean the term "users" should be used to define those who choose to comment as people who use others (and by extension use words to hurt others intentionally). That could be exactly what you meant. Or it could be a misinterpretation on my part. But if that's not what you meant to say, I'm afraid I missed the point.

Also in your post, what are the implications behind your interpretation of why those who choose to read and say nothing are given the title of "guest?" It is a far nicer thing to be than a "user," I grant you. However, if that is the case, is the lesson to be learned that one should remain silent and be a respected "guest," as opposed to daring to comment and participate and risk being labelled a contemptible "user?"

See? Tricky things, these words -- and not quite as easy to use as some might think. *grin*

Randalynn

Doh! Randalynn

joannebarbarella's picture

What am I using?Using my wits to comment on writings here? Is it better to brave.....No, sorry someone else said that, I think. In the context of the drabble, better to be a user maybe, but then again (shrug) who knows? Conundrum, eh? Drabbles within drabbles,
Joanne

Users?

I find that saying what I really mean is often very hard, especially when the one to whom I'm speaking is vulnerable. I find too that speaking truth to myself is usually riddled with lies. Let us each preserve our delusions about ourselves and about others. That way, we hurt without a guilty conscience. Arrrgh!!!

Let it be known that there are only two business groups that refer to their "Customers" as "Users": Information Technologists and Drug Dealers. I see a lot of similarities between the two.

— Jaclyn [returning to lurking in the shadows, waitin' for my man – urp, I mean, uh, my IT professional]

Users to members

erin's picture

"Users" is just IT jargon but I've hacked the code and changed it to 'Members' in several places. Not all, but some very visible ones.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Please Don't. . .

hack into my "member" and change my code . . . unless you must.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I think that...

...might be the furthest thing from her mind

:)

Hey, that's my second favorite, no, my favorite organ

to badly paraphrase Woody Allen in Sleeper.

I'm leary of this but if in the process I ended up an attractive 20ish blonde woman, I supose I could *suffer* though it.

Do as you will, Erin.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. If you do, do *it*, a little forwarning would be good. I'll need to do a lot of shopping.

John in Wauwatosa

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hur

It was a famous author, Mark Twain or Oscar Wilde, I think, who said something like: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but broken bones can mend, if you want hurt someone in a way that may never heal, use words!
Love and cuddles,
Janice Elizabeth