I'm not sure if this a good thing or not

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I'm surprised Ang hasn't flagged this one.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/214521/GP-s-pills-m...

although...perhaps the side effects are a little strong, especially when most of us manage without any drugs at all!

Penny

Not being...

Not being a medical professional, nor playing one on TV (Given the context, perhaps I should have spelled out television.), perhaps I shouldn't comment.

But, I'd be willing to bet that the issue is not that the drug MADE him do these things. Rather, I suspect the drug removed his inhibitions to doing these things. Proving this, easier said than done. It's so much easier to blame activity on someone or something else.

Anne

I would agree with Penny,

Except that when I worked in long-term care, I saw sweet old grandmas start swearing like sailors due to changes in brain chemistry or diseases, and people go through total personality change after injuries to the brain.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Life ruined by prescription drugs

I won't belabor this, and if anyone wants details, we can do it by PM. I doubt that the whole site wants to hear it again.

I can say flatly that had it not been due to overdoses of Welbutrin, Celexa and Trazidone, I would still be with my family. I may have stayed a melancoly individual, and perhaps even divorced eventually, but what happened was worse than Nuclear War. It was tragic.

Khadijah

Actually,

Some people having strange behavior on a drug like this seems realistic. Various street drugs giving very intense highs and psychedelics work by releasing large amounts of dopamine. Antipsychotic meds block dopamine uptake.

I was having some minor psychotic symptoms from severe depression, like hearing voices and thinking that I saw something in my peripheral vision, when nothing was there. I knew that these perceptions were in my mind, so I wasn't too bad off, but they were troubling. I got on a new, second generation antipsychotic, and the voices and visuals were gone in a day or two. The med made me feel pretty good, but it made me crazy hungry. I gained 40 lb in about a year, was able to quit the med and lost 60 lb in the next year. Unfortunately, since then, I've gained about 15 lb back.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee