For Us, the Living

Printer-friendly version
Untitled (2)-1.jpeg

.
This is tagged to the contest, but is obviously disqualified. The contest theme is just on my mind, for some reason. Pleased be warned that while suicide is not depicted in the story, it is central to it.

—Emma

~o~O~o~


FOR US, THE LIVING

The knot in my stomach grew harder, and I had to force myself not to crush Chrissy’s hand. Coach Blanchard — compact, energetic, foul-mouthed coach Blanchard — was shuffling across the frozen grass to take the microphone. I’d never thought of him as old before. Suddenly, he looked like he belonged in a skilled nursing facility.

The sky was cloudless, but the late December sun, low on the southern horizon, provided light without warmth. Even at nine in the morning, Mr. Blanchard’s shadow stretched far behind him, long and strangely thin.

“I, ah . . .” He cleared his throat, looked at the Salks, and tried again. “I’m so sorry. I can’t begin to tell you how much. Summer was . . . .” Again he choked up, and tears began to leak from his eyes. “She was the bravest, most determined person I’ve ever met.”

Mrs. Allen, who taught algebra and calculus, touched his arm and offered him a bottled water.

With a nod of thanks, he tried to get a few swallows down. His Adam’s apple leapt up and down spasmodically.

I couldn’t look away.

Returning his focus to Summer’s parents, he managed to continue, sounding a bit stronger. “When I met her — back when the administration was still trying to decide the best way to deal with your request — she showed up for the first day of P.E., all suited up. Pink nylon shorts, ribbed white tank top. All regulation — for a girl.”

That got some smiles through the tears.

I hadn’t been there, but I could picture it. That was Summer, all right.

“I was . . . well. Rob, Judy, you know how bad I was.” His eyes pleaded for forgiveness that had been given a long time ago. Looking around, he barked, “If the rest of you don’t know, you can probably guess.”

Knowing looks, a few lopsided smiles. Some chuckles. People could definitely guess; Blanchard was a legend.

“And she just hears me out, looking all serious, until I finish up by yelling at her to get suited up properly. Then she says, ‘I’m sorry, coach, I won’t do that. But I’ll do any exercises you want, as long as you want.’”

I shook my head. Saying something like that to a coach — ANY coach — is like wearing a bow tie in a biker bar.

“You can guess the rest, too,” he rasped. “Laps. Push-ups. Jumping jacks. Wall sitting. I’d give her a task, then get the rest of the clow — ahh, students — organized doing whatever they were supposed to be doing. And when I turned back, she was still doing whatever I’d set her to do. And . . . she didn’t just half-ass her way through the exercises. She put her heart in them. No jogging around the track, she fff — she sprinted. Perfect push-ups, like watching a piston engine.”

He choked up again, and drank more water. “I couldn’t take it anymore. I told her to just go join the guys. After what she’d done, nobody gave her any . . . ah. Any trouble. Todd Thatcher was in that class, and even he was impressed.”

He wiped his streaming eyes. “And that was Summer. From the day I met her, to the day I put that MVP ribbon around her neck last year for the job she did at second base. She outworked everyone, outthought everyone, and helped every player get better. Alway, always, gave a hundred percent— a hundred fifty percent! — for the team. I never saw a team like that. Not in twenty-eight years of coaching. Never. I —”

He couldn’t keep it in anymore. “Fuck!!! I didn’t think anything could stop that girl!”

Dean Smith, the principal, pulled Mr. Blanchard away gently and led him back to be with the rest of the faculty crowd, saying something so quietly only the two of them could hear it.

Summer had revered Coach Blanchard. She told Chrissy and me stories about how he’d take the summers to follow the Orioles, sometimes driving a couple hundred miles to catch a game. Despite their record, year after year, he stayed optimistic that the “Boys of Summer'' would pull it off. A line from one of Dad’s collection of old fantasy books shook me as I watched him take that long, slow walk. He would count winters, now.

Summer’s aunt had already spoken, for herself and for Summer’s parents. Gordon Frazier, the Captain of last year’s championship baseball team, had spoken, too.

I was up next.

Chrissy squeezed my hand. “Go on, girl. For her.”

I made my way up to the microphone, my notes clutched in my right hand, feeling unsteady on the crunchy hard grass in my platform shoes. I thought, Should have worn flats, followed immediately by, She wouldn’t have.

I tried to stand straight at the podium, like Summer had when she faced down the bigots at that school board meeting. My name is Summer Salk, and I’m trans. I’m not a pervert, I’m not a predator, and I’m not contagious. What are you afraid of? I wanted to hold my head high and keep my voice steady. I wanted, so very much, to make her proud. Even though she’d never see it.

“Summer was my hero. When she asked Chrissy and me if we wanted to start an LGBTQ+ group, I said ‘no.’ I didn’t want to make waves. And . . . .” I looked down at my notes, even though I knew what I’d written.

TERF.

I was so ashamed of what I’d been. I remembered her, sitting across from us at the picnic table under the big oak tree, listening to me explaining how “girls” needed their own space. I’d finally gotten to a place where I realized I didn’t need any fucking dudes in my life, that Chrissy and I could be everything for each other, and here was this . . . .

This girl. But I didn’t see it. Not that day, anyway, and not for a long while. Summer looked like a guy in a dress. Tall, broad shoulders, strong chin. . . . Thin — seriously thin — but all wiry muscle. A guy. That’s all I could see.

She just heard me out, listened to my explanations, said she was so sorry for everything I’d been through, and how of course she understood. She was completely sincere, and I told her I hoped we could be friends.

But I hadn’t meant it.

I felt Chrissy’s eyes on me as I stood there in the cold December wind, fumbling for words. Summer would have understood if I didn’t say anything about all that. If I glossed over who I’d been, four years ago. But I owed her more than that, and I owed Chrissy more, too.

“I couldn’t see her. All I could see was her big, male body. I didn’t let myself see who she was inside. What Chrissy and I had . . . . I thought, you know, everyone accepts us now. People like us get married. Raise kids. We don’t need . . . .”

I looked at Dan Baxter’s moms, standing over by the mound of black soil with some of the baseball dads, and stopped. I could see it in their faces — the understanding of what I had been about to say, combined with the knowledge that it was wrong. I shook my head sharply; I knew that — now.

“I didn’t want people to think of me as ‘LGBTQ’ or whatever. I didn’t want to be in anyone’s face. I just wanted to be ‘normal.’” I swallowed, wishing I’d thought to bring a water, too. “I stayed away. I’d see her in the halls, or at lunch, and I’d look the other way. Wave, if she saw I saw her. You know.”

I hoped they’d get it, all those people, standing there in winter coats that still stank of mothballs. The teachers would know . . . they’d have seen it a million times. The people my age, yeah. They knew those dance moves. I didn’t want to have to spell it out.

“So Chrissy and I go to Homecoming sophomore year, ‘cuz we’re a ‘normal’ couple and that’s what normies do. Summer’s there. I don’t know if someone was with her or if she just came by herself. It never bothered her. Or . . . maybe it did. I don’t know. But she never let it stop her. Anyhow, she was there in a long blue dress, all sparkly, heels, looking as good as she could. She seemed happy, talking with different groups. Ballplayers, I guess, mostly.”

My eyes locked with Chrissy’s as I got to the next part, sharing the bitter memory. Mandy Temple breaking in and dancing with me, Chrissy taking a restroom break and walking into the trap they’d set for her — Mandy and Annalise Cantrell and Stephanie Turner. The bucket of foul-smelling green whatever they were going to pitch over the stall when she sat to do her business.

“Some girls were gonna hurt Chrissy in the restroom when I wasn’t there. Their idea of ‘fun.’ Turns out Summer’d been watching them. When they followed Chrissy into the bathroom, all smirking and giggling, she went in right behind them. It, umm. It got physical. But two of them combined couldn’t take Summer. And they never got a chance to touch Chrissy.”

I was having trouble holding back the tears as I remembered how shaken Chrissy had been. Summer was suspended along with Annalise and Stephanie, which was completely unfair. Especially since Mandy got off Scott free; I knew she was in on it but couldn’t prove anything. Summer, of course, had just accepted her punishment and apologized to the team for having to miss a week.

But Annalise’s parents had pitched a fit. When Smith refused to expel Summer for “savaging” their daughter, they went to the school board and demanded that it eliminate the “threat” posed by transwomen using women’s restrooms.

“There was a lot of trouble after that. The school, then the school board. I guess everyone knows all about that. But what I remember is when Chrissy and I went to see Summer after school. To thank her, you know? And she just smiled, like she does . . . did.” Fuck! “And she said, ‘It was Chrissy this time, but it could have been me. Probably will be, next time. We’ve got to have each other’s backs.’”

“I was afraid to ask if she still wanted to be friends. After how I’d been, she should have told me to . . . Well. You know. And she had the whole baseball team and all. But she wasn’t ever like that. When I invited her to hang out, maybe go to the mall with us . . . I think it’s the only time I ever saw Summer cry.”

She’d tried to look away, to keep it to herself. The moment she’d surrendered was burned in my brain. The small shrug of her shoulders as she turned back to face me. Allowing me to witness a bit of everything she worked so hard to hide. I would never forget the pain in her eyes . . . the sunlight on her golden hair . . . the lift of her chin and the quiet, tremulous intensity of her voice as she’d said, “God, yes. I’d really, really like that.”

“That’s when I realized how much it must have hurt, the way I’d been icing her at school. Why it mattered to her. Yeah, she was a star athlete, but she wanted so much to just be able to be herself. To be a girl.”

I choked up at that, but forced myself to power through it, even though my voice sounded hollow. I’d been crying for days; I felt like I might never stop. “She was the best friend, ever. Whatever we were doing together — shopping, studying, walking around the Mall, watching Netflix at home, or talking — she was funny, and fun, and kind. She loved to dance, even though it’s probably the only physical activity where she was awkward. She’d just keep at it, smiling and laughing the whole time.”

I worked on this part so hard, and I couldn’t get it right. Couldn’t find words to describe the relationship Chrissy and I had forged with Summer. Couldn’t capture the magic of her laughter, the warmth of her eyes, or the gentleness, the tenderness, of her embrace on a tough day. Her passion for baseball — she’d even converted Chrissy! — and her knowledge of every place you could get a bite to eat at 3:00 a.m. when we’d all snuck out together. She could be goofy or serious, and she’d say things I’d wake up in the middle of the night a week later, still thinking about.

How do you explain all that to strangers? The team would know. Maybe the teachers; she’d been a good student and participated actively without ever being obnoxious. But everyone else — the baseball parents, the friends of her parents, the people from her parents’ synagogue, the neighbors? Was there anything I could say, that would give them a clue about what we’d had together for the past three years? I’d tried my best, but I couldn’t find the words.

“I knew . . . we knew . . . she had her own demons. She’d kind of disappear for a couple days, but then she’d always be fine. And she’d be like, ‘some days, fighting the dragon takes it out of me.’ Dysphoria was always ‘the dragon,’ but she didn’t want to talk about it. She . . . was like me, I guess. She really just wanted to be normal.”

I was seriously starting to lose it now, but I pulled myself together for her. One more time. “When I heard what happened, I couldn’t believe it. Couldn’t imagine it. And it hurt so much that I hadn’t been there for her, the way she’d always been there for me and Chrissy. She was so strong, I’d never understood just how bad it was for her.”

The note she had left had been pure Summer. Mom, Dad, I love you so much. Every day I fought it. When I couldn’t fight for myself anymore, I fought for you, and Coach, Bets and Chrissy and all my friends. I fought as hard as I could, but I had to win every day. Every time. The dragon only had to win once. I’m so very sorry.

I forced myself to look at her shattered parents — two people who loved her more than the whole world, and had never been anything less than supportive. Their faces asked the same “why” we’d all been asking. It’s not that we didn’t know the statistics. But Summer?

I tried to open myself to their pain, which even dwarfed what I was feeling. “Your daughter was the most amazing person I’ve ever met. I know she fought like hell to keep from hurting you, and she — God, she could fight! I will never, ever stop missing her.”

There. I made it all the way through. Just like you would have done it. Why the fuck aren’t you here to see? To see what you’ve helped me become?

There were additional prayers in Hebrew. One by one, we took reversed shovels and put icy, winter earth over the plain pine box in the ground. I couldn’t imagine it containing someone so full of life as Summer had always been. She’s not in there. That’s not her. Not in a box . . . in the ground!

It was done. Chrissy and I walked back to our car, arm-in-arm.

“It kills me, seeing her mom and dad.” Chrissy’s voice was as shredded as mine. “Summer had them, she had friends, she had the team. I just don’t get it!”

We’d gone around and around on it, ever since we got the news. Ever since we had to accept it had actually happened. That we would never see Summer again. She had been loved, accepted. Admired. Sure, there’d been haters, like those assholes on the school board. Maybe someone had said something, or done something, to trigger her. But I didn’t buy it. She’d never cared what they thought.

“I think it’s just what she always told us,” I said slowly. “It wasn’t what anyone else thought. It was what she thought. Having to deal with a body that just screamed ‘male’ at her, every single fucking day . . . I think it just tore her apart.”

“The dragon?”

“Yeah. That.”

“But . . . I mean, it’s 2023! She was doing HRT. There’s surgery . . . .” Her protest kind of faded out.

“She’d never have been passable,” I said gently. “You know that.”

“Who cares? Shit, Bets, tell me why that matters!”

“It shouldn’t. But . . . I guess it mattered to her.”

We drove aimlessly past places that had so many memories. The high school and the park, the slice pizza shop with the best pepperoni. The salon where the girls had fussed over Summer when we did our mani-pedi days and made her giggle. Neither of us said anything. On the other side of the bridge, Chrissy found a parking spot and said, “C’mon.”

I knew where we were going. We’d come here with Summer a couple of times; her grandfather’s name was on that gleaming black granite wall. Jonathan Salk. February 3, 1969. Her father had been born ten weeks later, when the Tidal Basin was pink with cherry blossoms and the forsythia were bright as the sun at noon. Summer’s grandmother had told her the story; she’d said, “If we remember them, it’s like they’re still with us.”

With us. Here, where they should be. Not in a box . . . not in the ground.

We walked down the path, and to our right the wall loomed higher and higher. A mass of names, one after another after another. How many, I wondered, are remembered at all?

We found his name, but I couldn’t recall the prayer Summer had offered, the last time we were here, all together, on a warm day when the long vacation months stretched before us. Just a name, on a list of almost sixty thousand names. In the arctic air, each name seemed to stand out, sharp and harsh, distinct.

After a while we walked on. Ahead of us, a very different monument stood against the deep blue sky. We’d gone there together, too, jogging lightly up the marble steps. Chrissy in shorts, me in sweats, Summer in one of those sundresses she always loved to wear. I felt an urge to go again, almost like a pilgrimage. The old man on the stone seat. Somehow, the sculpture captured eyes that had seen too much death.

Chrissy understood without my having to say anything. She always understood me. The trip up the stairs felt harder this time, like we were pulling a sled of memories behind us. Then we were in the big chamber and Lincoln towered over us, white and solid and somber.

My eyes were drawn to the wall, where his most powerful words were preserved. It is for us the living, rather, to be here dedicated . . . the unfinished work . . . the great task remaining before us . . . .

“There it is, Chrissy.”

“Yeah?”

“‘That we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.’ That’s how I feel, too.”

“Summer didn’t die in battle, Bets.”

“Didn’t she?”

She thought about that and gave me a squeeze. “Maybe she did.”

“I just wish she hadn’t felt like she had to fight it alone. The people whose names are on the Wall . . . or the people Lincoln was talking about . . . at least they had each other. Maybe a cause; I don’t know. Summer was just trying to survive.”

We stood together in the quiet, reading the words again. Finally Chrissy said, “So, how do you do it? How do you give some sort of meaning to something this . . . awful?”

“I don’t know. But I promise you this. I’m gonna figure it out.”

“New year’s resolution?”

“Yeah. Real one, this time.”

“Right there with you, girl.”

I pulled her close, taking comfort from her warmth, her solidness, the clean smell of her soft brown hair. “I know,” I whispered. “That makes all the difference.”

The end.

~o~O~o~

Author’s note: The line from a fantasy novel that Bets remembered is taken from
The Masters of Solitude, by Marvin Kaye and Parke Godwin. It’s obscure, but I was privileged to read it by virtue of belonging to the Science Fiction Book Club, which sent me two often fabulous stories every month for many of my teenage years. If you can find it, you should absolutely read it. Some of the most finely drawn characters I’ve ever encountered.

For information about my other stories, please check out my author's page.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Am Privileged

joannebarbarella's picture

To be the first to comment on this extraordinarily powerful story. I don't think I'll ever be able to read it without breaking out in tears. Summer is all of us, as is Emma.

Tears

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Tears were in the writing, too. Thank you for your kind words, Joanne.

Emma

How do you do it?

You are judging a contest and have sixty some stories swirling around you, and you write this jewel. Beautiful staging and intriguing time handling. Fantastic. I know that I am better from reading it. Just past eight a.m. and I'm set for the day.

Ron

Making time

Emma Anne Tate's picture

When I have to write a story, I really have to write it. Somehow, I have to make time. This was one of those stories.

Thank you, Ron.

Emma

SFBC

Explains the rather obscure Heinlein reference in the title. Yes, I know there was that Gettysburg thing, but it only beat RAH by 71 years.

We are having a little flurry of stories about TERFery at the moment. People being banned from snooker, school boards trying to ban trans girls, and so on. People are obviously concerned about the current wave of hatred breaking over our heads, and this is coming out in their writing. This story shows some of the more brutal results, but despite my habit of writing some pretty dark stuff, I always say "It will get better".

Pandora's back-handed gift, of course, but also a call to pay things forward.

Hope

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I, too, am hopeful that things will get better . . . for some of us, and in some places. But the story of human history is not a story of continuous progress. It may be a while. Meantime, best watch each other’s backs, aye?

The Science Fiction Book Club was a wonder. It’s really only in retrospect that I can appreciate what an achievement it was. Amazing stories, by incredible authors who were just getting started, bound in such a way that they could be sold cheaply (but not paperback). I still have some of my copies today — McCaffrey, Zelazny, McKillip. And The Masters of Solitude. Which is still available, used, from Amazon. Just sayin’. ;-)

Emma

I have seen

Dee Sylvan's picture

Those eyes that are so sad, just wanting to be loved, happy… normal. I have seen those eyes in a mirror too.

One step at a time, helping one person at a time, that’s how I keep that dragon at bay..

Thanks for another inspiring gem Em. I know you have your own battles too, but keep sharing your own love with us. :DD TAF

DeeDee

Helping one person at a time

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Your approach to the dragon demonstrates the maxim, “the best defense is a good offense.” I like it!

I think we do battle in our own ways. For me, writing stories is the best way I know. A way to convince myself, and maybe some readers, that we aren’t alone. That our struggles, our loves, and our lives have meaning, and that we add something unique and beautiful to the symphony of the human race.

Emma

We Lived on a Culdesac

Twelve houses on one service road. Ours was the second house in.

At 5:30 that horrible morning the entire culdesac was awash with red flashing lights. Something bad had happened in the house at the end of the road.

Within hours we all knew.

He'd used his father's service revolver. The one his dad used every day on the job with the Minneapolis police.

He was only thirteen. One year older than my third oldest and two years younger than my second oldest.

His brother was the same age as my third oldest.

I'd coached him several years in soccer. He could be a handful.

It made no sense.

Within a few months the family moved out of that house. Within a year their marriage ended in divorce.

The afternoon of the funeral one of my boys and his teammates, who had all attended the funeral, had to play an AAU basketball game. The game felt senseless.

Thirty years later it still is . . . irrational!

A culdesac is a road to nowhere.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Culdesacs

Emma Anne Tate's picture

When despair and depression become a doom loop it is hard to break free. The teenage years are so perilous, I think, because the body creates intense pressure to transform from child to adult, but the mind lacks the experience to know that things can get better, that heartbreak will heal, that life truly can go on.

Thank you, Jill. Always.

Emma

For Today

lisa charlene's picture

this site all of your wonderful stories and your friendships have kept the dragon away at least for today . I dont know about tomorrow but at least for today it is enough.And i guess thats all i can hope for one more day .

One more day

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Your comments hit home for me, Lisa. I know this site has been a lifesaver for many in our community. My own dysphoria is not so strong that I battle suicidal thoughts, but I have come to know many wonderful people here who have not been so lucky. And even for me . . . the existence of a community where I can, at long last, express myself as Emma, has been incredibly healing.

Emma

Sometimes I come to this site for wisdom…….

D. Eden's picture

Sometimes I come here for solace, sometimes for sisterhood, and often I come here to know that I am not alone. To know that there are others who know the pain that I feel, others who know what it’s like to look into a mirror and see a stranger. To know that the reflection that I see will never truly reflect the woman that I am inside.

My wife asks me periodically if I am happy now that I have transitioned. I always answer her as truthfully as I can - I am happier, but which of us is ever really happy all the time? Like Summer in your story, I will never see my real self when I look into the mirror. No matter what I do, how far my transition progresses, or how long I live as a woman, I will always know that I am too tall. My hands are too big, my shoulders are too wide and my hips too narrow. My voice will always be too deep, and I will always be dealing with people mis-gendering me on the phone - hell, sometimes even in person, though not so much anymore.

My wife and my sons don’t understand that the dysphoria never really goes away. Yes, it gets better, but there are always those times when it comes home to roost. When Summer’s dragon sits on my shoulder, and reminds me that I will never be what I should have been. Yeah, how many of us here know that feeling?

And how many of us have come so, so close to being the one in the pine box?

The only reason I am not, is that I could not leave behind my own versions of Bets and Chrissy, Coach Blanchard and Mrs. Allen, and my family. I could not bear the thought of leaving my wife and children standing by a hole in the ground, shoveling dirt on my casket.

I know this will not win the contest, but thank you for writing it. Thank you for reminding me that no matter how bad it gets, no matter how strong the dragon grows, that we cannot lose the battle! For the casualties of this war are those we leave behind.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thank you

Andrea Lena's picture

I feel sometimes like I'm living MLK's Mountaintop sermon where he said that he might not get to the promised land but that he was right there with them. Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

But remember

On that day they also sang "We shall overcome." King is gone but The journey to the promised land continues. I truly do believe that transgender rights can follow a similar trajectory.

They may.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Fear of the “other” — a belief that people are not like us, and that the differences are threatening to us — seems deeply ingrained in the human psyche. But we are more than creatures of instinct. We have the capacity to reason, and souls whose depths surprise. Some day, I hope, we will.

Emma

Thank you, Dallas

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I, too, come here for solace and sisterhood, wisdom, compassion and companionship. As maybe one percent of the population, it’s easy to think of ourselves as alone, outcast . . . even freakish. You have transitioned; I haven’t, but we both know what it’s like to know that a looking glass will never show us the woman we see inside. But knowing you are there, knowing I’m not alone, helps keep the dragon at bay.

Emma

My eyes were drawn to the

Andrea Lena's picture

My eyes were drawn to the wall, where his most powerful words were preserved. It is for us the living, rather, to be here dedicated . . . the unfinished work . . . the great task remaining before us . . . .

“There it is, Chrissy.”

“Yeah?”

“‘That we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.’ That’s how I feel, too.”

“Summer didn’t die in battle, Bets.”

“Didn’t she?”

She thought about that and gave me a squeeze. “Maybe she did.”

We have an entire generation and beyond of children who even now are having their rights of free determination of self being stripped away by laws passed across this country. We cannot allow this to happen. Otherwise, Folks like Summer WILL have died in vain.

THANK YOU for this story!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So much work to be done

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Summer wasn’t all that troubled by the asswipes. But she did fall victim to society’s deeper and more pervasive expectations about what girls and women “should” look like. Teenage girls who aren’t conventionally pretty feel the sting of the same expectations. But for transgirls, the hurt is magnified, because it undermines their ability to be accepted as female. Even to accept themselves.

It’s one of the reasons all of the new laws banning puberty blockers to treat dysphoria are so cruel. Once a body has gone through puberty, it is changed forever.

Emma

as someone who has been on the edge of death

I have almost lost to "the dragon" on several occasions, but somehow, I managed to walk away in time. So this story truly speaks to me. I want to say to Summer "please don't surrender! we need you! We need all of us!" But I understand that the dragon only has to win once.

well told, but I'm not sure I could read it again at the moment, hon. huggles.

DogSig.png

Hugs, Dot!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I do worry, when I write stories like this, if they will be too much. So many in our community have endured so much, and know what it’s like to fight the dragon every damned day.

Emma

When You're Dead

terrynaut's picture

That was difficult for me to read. It was powerful, and good, but so very sad. Nice job.

I consider myself to be trans. I thought I should be able to relate to this. But no. I've been dead inside for so long. It's too difficult. Everything is difficult. The only time I seem to free my emotions is when I write or when I let all those pesky little things in life add up until I erupt. Some intense cuteness, like from my flock of parakeets, can get a smile out of me now and then. So sad.

I improved a little when my wonderful, supportive wife married me. She knew my true self and married me anyway. But she's heterosexual. I'm sure you all can guess how that works.

I was dead inside. Now I'm maybe just numb. I have no dragon. I just float and drift down the river of life, waiting for the grand waterfall at the end.

For those of you with dragons to fight, I wish you all the best.

Thanks and kudos (number 36).

- Terry

Breaks my heart

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Terry, your words break my heart. I am so very sorry.

Emma

Tears

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

I often find myself touched by the stories that appear on these pages. Most of the time it's that feel good feeling of dreams fulfilled. Today the tears streaming down my face are tears of loss.

The statistics are deplorable. But does anyone outside our community care? It seems not. On the outside, Summer seemed to have it all going for her. A supportive family, hard won friends, a positive attitude and an indomitable spirit.

However, it's been said that we are really three people. The person we present to the public, the person we believe we are and the person we really are. We tend to lock away that third person. We polish the first person and glory in the fantasy of the second. But when we are alone that third person vies or supremacy. For most of the world it's no big deal. For us, it's a battle to maintain sanity; a struggle to not sink into a pit so deep and so dark there can be no light at the end of the tunnel, because it's not a tunnel, it's a grave.

Lord, please grant strength to those who find themselves locked in battle against that third person that would drag them done into that bottomless pit.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

What we don’t see

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I wanted it to be clear in the story that, as you say, Summer had everything a transgirl might want — on the outside. Because the internal landscape may look very, very different. Think of it as the “Richard Cory” effect.

My inspiration for this story involved the death by suicide of a young man who was not trans. He “simply” suffered from severe bouts of depression. Tommy Raskin “had it all” — Amherst degree, in his second year at Harvard Law School, loving family, accomplished parents. His farewell note to his father and mother, just before New Years in 2020, said, “Please forgive me. My illness won today. Look after each other, the animals and the global poor. All my love, Tommy.”

We all have our dragons to fight, trans or cis, gay or straight, regardless of the demographic boxes we check. It’s part of being human. For many in this community, dysphoria is the dragon, but it’s often not the only one.

Emma

I have been thinking.

Sunflowerchan's picture

I have been thinking about this story all day, and what comment to leave. First Emma this is some of your finest writing. Second this should be a lesson to all of us. We're all sisters, each and every one of us. We are all family everybody who falls within the LGBTQ+ umbrelle is family, and to that what effects one effects us all. Summer was loved by so many, she was star, yet she was spurred by those who should have been her firmest supporters. Yes, she had a loving mother, a loving mother a team that loved her, but in the end, she was alone, she alone had to face the shadows.

As I type this tears are falling down my cheeks and I'm shaking, But Emma, Mistress Emma, you have inspired me, you have touched me, because you have touched on something that many here dare not to touch on, or if they have I've never read it. You touched on somebody that could never trasition well enough to pass. Who would never have been accepted on the level they should have been because of their looks, they were judged by their apperance and by not the reflection of their soul.

My last refection, I use to think a suicided was a cowards way out. I was taught it was the rejection of life that God had given you and was a one way ticket to hell. But, in this story, I can not see Summer as a coward, only as somebody who fought with their last ounce of strength. When they could not fight for themselves they tried to rally behind others to keep going. But in the end, the dragon won. And often I'm told by people who have tried but failed, that to them suicided was a means of gaing control. So yes, Summer found herself fighting monsters odds, she knew she spirling out control, so she took control of the only thing she had total control of, her life and the methoded of ending it..

And yet in the end there is hope, that the two who spurred her, who rejected her, will better themselves and honor her memory and hopefully save somebody else. Or use their friends death to refect on their own actions, and seek to better themselves.

Thank you, Rebecca.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Thank you for your moving words. I cannot believe in a God that would let Their children be crushed, then damn them for all eternity for failing to survive the crucible. We should admire those who do survive, rather than condemn those who falter.

In our happy stories, the male sits in the salon chair, the girls do their thing with hair and make-up, and when the mirror is uncovered, a beautiful girl is revealed. Add a little padding in the right places, and, “poof,” the transformation is complete. It’s a wonderful fantasy. They are fun stories to read — and to write! I enjoy writing them (see, e.g., Resolving Reese)! But something within me is compelled, by honesty, to also tell the harder truth.

Emma

Yet again

I am in floods of tears with this story. You are killing me. I can't blame hormones - I am not taking any yet. I guess I'm mentally already there.

Yours is an amazing journey

Emma Anne Tate's picture

To have learned to see yourself in a new light — to put a name to that which you have long felt inside, as you have done (I’m thinking of your comments on another story)— is an extraordinary thing. The Sioux believed that the longest journey we can make in life is from the head to the heart. For you, the journey and the destination may be the same: the woman within isn’t who you are becoming, it’s who you’ve always been.

Emma

I Don’t Have the Right Words

To describe the power of this story. Every time I read a new story of yours I am amazed. I feel so privileged that you share your writings with us. Thank you!

Thank you.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

The opportunity to share the stories of my heart with you, and all the amazing people here, is the real privilege. Thank you for reading, and for your kind words.

Emma

Are They Afraid of Us or are we Pawns

BarbieLee's picture

Been at a meeting all day. The speaker was discussing the laws being passed against transgender support, medical, jobs, housing, etc. We aren't a threat politically or any other way. Less than one percent of the population is going to what? We are going to take over the nation? We are going to poison the human genome? We are capable of mind control?

All of us there are beyond much of what civilian government can do. Most of the umbrella we fall under comes under DOD code of conduct, rules, regulations. Sadly too many of our sisters don't have that. Some of the state laws don't apply to us. It was suggested for us to not test it as litigation gets expensive. One of them was what can they do if they don't "think" you belong in the women's restroom?
Ask you to raise your skirt, drop your panties? They may ask but it's raw abuse and illegal.

Hugs Emma, loved your story. You have an amazing ability to put something so distasteful as truth in a story line and make it palatable to a limited extent because it's all fiction and make believe..., isn't it?
Barb
If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

The tell

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Do they fear us? I think, yes. The tell is the term, “the trans agenda.” The only trans “agenda” I know is wanting to be treated like normal people. But if what you really long for is a time when “goyls were goyls and men were men,” the idea that gender is not binary and gender roles are not commandments from God on high, is deeply threatening. We must have boxes, and walls, and people must stay in their boxes, else civilization will crumble!

America has long exalted a set of virtues that are tagged as “masculine.” Not just individualism, but “rugged” individualism. Self-reliance. Physical strength, aggression, an unwillingness to suffer fools, take shit, or acknowledge authority beyond yourself. When biological males embrace the supposedly “feminine” virtues of caring, compassion, and compromise, or even when they want to be pretty instead of strong, it subverts the hierarchy of values that many believe to be fundamental to society.

Emma

Dear Emma

What a story! Unfortuately you have debarred yourself for entering this in the competition. OK, I know that judging your own work should not be allowed, but if the rules had been different (other judging methods perhaps), this would have to be one of the (if not THE) front runners.
On the other hand, who better to be a judge than someone who can craft an item like this!
Yes, I have heard the old saw "judge not, that ye also may be judged", but as I would never be a contestant, I fall outside that restriction, and if it were an entry, THIS of yours would get my vote (but the entry timetable is not yet expired, and who knows what else might come).
I wish you happy judging of the also-rans.
Dave

Thank you, Dave!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

I don’t know whether you’ve read all of the entries in the contest. I have, of course, and I promise you, there are much better stories there! But I am glad this story touched you.

Emma

You're Wrong Wrong Wrong

There are several stories that get into that coin-flip area.

If you asked a hundred people which story is best, an equal number would indicate one of the stories based on personal preferences.

Your story is exceptional in every way.

You know it. I know it. Everyone entered in this contest knows it.

It's sweet that you're deflecting the praise but you need to relax and enjoy.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Relaxing

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Jill, my friend, I had a lovely dinner tonight that included 2/3rds of a bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape and an Irish Coffee. I am relaxed almost to the point of catatonia (a province between Catalonia and . . . well . . . some place else. Ask me tomorrow). I am very relaxed.

I’m also right. Of course. :)

Emma

Nope

The jury has already convicted you of false modesty.

You're also wrong about a lack of suspense.

People grieve differently. Your story painted a volatile situation. Anything could have happened.

Summer's note spoke to her dragon. "Bets" believes that Summer died in battle and knows that in the protracted battle that was Summer's life she had caused Summer much pain. I worried that she was going to hold herself culpable and take irrational action. The tension you created was exhausting.

I cried as much for Bets as I did for Summer.

I quit drinking (much) years ago. I never knew when to stop. If I drank more than a glass of wine now, I would be in Slumberland, which is a province in Mallastan.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Had To Sit On This One

Marissa Lynn's picture

I needed to let this story marinate in my head for a bit before commenting.
I absolutely did cry reading it. I flashed back to 2010, when me denial ended. The fact that I was becoming indifferent to what the dragon would do is what scared me. I knew I had to move forward. And closing in on 14 years later, if I hadn't, the dragon would have won.
And I've lost friends to it, a couple times after hanging out with them a few months before.
I daresay a lot of us know a Summer or Summers. Some almost were Summer ourselves, even if the motivations for the final act might be different.
You quite accurately portrayed the pain for those left behind, while the love and, ultimately, determination that Bets and Chrissy share movingly came across.
I'm with everyone else. This was very well done.

Sitsing and thinksing

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Some stories definitely need to settle for a bit. This was easy to write in some ways — it pretty much came fully formed — but hard in others. It’s a very painful story to tell, and it only came out with a lot of tears. I’m glad that it touched you, but hope it did not hurt too much.

Emma

Vivid...

RachelMnM's picture

Like, seeing what I read and feeling it too. Very powerful. As the story unfolded, I keep hoping Summer hadn't succumbed to the dragon - you built so much life, determination, and caring into her, I spent a lot of time fighting the truth that she was gone. Vivid, yeah that word falls short. Nicely done Emma another amazing story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

Thanks, Rachel

Emma Anne Tate's picture

There’s no suspense in this one, and probably couldn’t be. I don’t do anything involving suicide with putting flags upfront. But even with all that, even I was hoping . . . .

Emma

Stunning

I count myself lucky that my dysphoria is quite mild, I have never had to face the pain that many of my sisters must live with. Reading this, I realized that all of my own characters are people who face their problems and resolve them without much trauma. They are self-assured people, and that is certainly not true for many on this site. I realize I am writing fantasy, but I don't think I have it in me to write convincingly from the pain I do not feel. Perhaps that is because when I'm writing I become my character in many ways.

Something as real and gritty as this story hits me all the harder; and yes, I cried my way to the end. Emma, I thank you for letting me into a world I have never lived in. I hope I can better understand the feelings of others due to your compassion.

I am lucky, too.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Like you, Ricky, my dysphoria is mild — but it’s real. And because it’s real, I agonize for people whose dysphoria is more severe. People whose choice was, literally, transition or suicide.

The dilemma I have is what to do, as a writer. So many of our friends here — our sisters — have suffered so much. Don’t they deserve a bit of respite? A story about a transwoman who is resilient and self-assured, who puts the assholes in their place? Who is loved and accepted?

They do. We do. And normally, that’s what I write.

But the Summers of our world haunt me, and their loss weighs on my soul. I can’t ignore their struggles. Their stories deserves to be told. I know you understand what I’m saying. You wrote The Homecoming.

Thank you for your comment, my friend. You are a treasure.

Emma

My second time.

Sunflowerchan's picture

This is my second read through of this really moving tale. And it hits a lot harder this time around than it did the first time I read through it. On Discord, I've seen the struggle of all the Summers of the world. I have seen those too afraid to come out of the egg come out of the egg then shatter and break, I've personally known those that have been driven to the edge of madness because of the struggle. This story is all too real. And that is the beauty of it. Ms. Tate has give a voice to the voiceless and has told the story of those who never had the chance to have their stories told. Reading this, I'm moved again at how well she choses her words, and how weaves her plots. But I also must wonder, am I doing justice to our sisters writing the stories I write? Am I instead of helping the cause, hurting it? Again as she often does a mirror has been held up to my soul and I've been forced to reflect. Thank you again Ms. Tate for hosting such a wonderful contest, and for gracing the site with such a wonderful story, this really hits a lot harder the second time around.

Your stories

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Your stories bring a smile on a hard day, Rebecca. Do not doubt the value of that. Remember Lincoln also wrote, “With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.”

Emma