Loathing your own work

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I'm just curious if any of you have ever gotten to the point where you really hate something you've written? Like every time someone mentions it you cringe. Or when fans of it ask for more, you wish you could travel back in time and slap yourself and say, "Don't write that you idiot!" Any of you feel this way, or is it just me?

~Taylor

Yes, I do...

Ragtime Rachel's picture

...the story I started for the Christmas contest and couldn't finish. Really, any story I've ever attempted. It got to the point where even just attempting to work on the story made me physically ill.

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

Every Bloody Time

I'm hardly as experienced at writing as many here, but so far I've hated every story I've written by the time I finish the first draft. I always love it while it's in the outline stage, just hate it when it's finally written. If I let it sit a bit, and come back, I generally find some stuff worth salvaging, and it can get better in later drafts, but I've never loved anything I've put out there as much as I thought I would when planning it out.

The stuff I truly hate, and don't find salvageable, just sits around.

titania.jpg

Titania

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

four words

"How Life Can Change"

This was my first attempt at a lengthy piece and every time I read it I want to puke. Funny thing is, it got raves and comments galore when it was first published, but I think it is trash. I won't even bother putting it on Kindle because I would lose readership. It should be taken down and burned, but people keep asking for it. They ask for a sequel.

I get a lot of request for sequels. Some will be made, most will not. Sometimes when I am done with a story, that means I am completely done.

Katie Leone (Katie-Leone.com)

Writing is what you do when you put pen to paper, being an author is what you do when you bring words to life

I really hope not!

Melange's picture

That would be just awful if that happened :(

I guess that's one of the main reasons, though, why I stick to writing one thing at a time right now. If I started another project, I would no doubt pick one that was my favourite and then horribly neglect the other. I have no idea how Bailey manages to juggle that many stories at once!

Then again, I just began writing "for real". I guess it's a sad inevitability that there will come a time when I regret a certain piece, and then I'll cry.

Oh, I think a lot if not most of us have at least one.

My particular bugaboo in that respect is one I wrote years ago titled 'Mommy'. An attempt at writing fem-dom that I disliked almost immediately after posting it. It got a lot of good reviews and requests for more but even then that just wasn't my style. I have not and will not bring that one over here, trust me.

Maggie

Hating your work

There have been a couple of stories I was not satisfied with when they "went to press". "Desert Princess" was one. The story was strange, but the feelings were very real. A couple of my stories feel like I had a too long session worshiping the porcelain God. But sometimes when you expel everything but your entrails out of your mouth, it feels better later.

I think that for most writers, our stories are cathartic. Maybe it is not the story you did not like but the feelings?

I think everyone has

I found a story I had started maybe eight or nine years ago on my computer and opened it just to see what it was. OMG, what crap, but at the time I thought it was great. Thank God I never published it. I think too as one continues to write tastes change, I know mine have. When I wrote my first story, I couldn't wait for the sex scenes, Now if they help the story I'll include them but only as a reference and not detailed. Ho,hum, Arecee

I have a story on another

I have a story on another site that I simply can't stand. It's not TG themed, was a request piece, and I absolutely hate it. I feel I did a good job on it, but I just hate the story theme and everything. Yet people keep asking for more (sequels) to it. Glad to know I'm not alone though. I seriously wish I had a time machine. lol

~Taylor

~Taylor Ryan
My muse suffers from insomnia, and it keeps me up at night.

Well, I'll have to answer

Well, I'll have to answer that with a big fat yes. There are a handful of stories I have over on fictionmania that I have really gone off, and would be more than happy if they were to vanish. But sadly I've not had the email address I submitted them on for a long time now, so I can't get them removed either. Before I post any of my work here, I am revising and in some cases nearly rewriting the ones I can live with.

Lisa.