Amazon Launches 'Kindle Worlds' Publishing Platform for Fan Fiction

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419330,00.asp

Amazon on Wednesday announced a new commercial publishing platform, dubbed Kindle Worlds, which will let any writer publish fan fiction based on a variety of well-known stories and characters, and earn royalties for their efforts.

The Web giant is launching the new platform with licenses for popular titles from Warner Bros. Television Group's Alloy Entertainment division, including the best-selling book series Gossip Girl, by Cecily von Ziegesar; Pretty Little Liars, by Sara Shepard; and Vampire Diaries, by L.J. Smith. Through these licenses, writers can now create stories inspired by these books, and make them available for purchase in the Kindle Store.

"Our books have generated a massive amount of fan fiction, and we see this as an evolution in publishing and a valuable way of broadening our brands and engaging fans," Alloy Entertainment President Leslie Morgenstein said in a statement.

The Kindle Worlds store is expected to launch in June with more than 50 commissioned works from authors like Barbara Freethy, John Everson, and Colleen Thompson. At that time, Amazon will also launch a self-service submission platform, where any writer can submit completed work.

Amazon will pay royalties to the rights holders of the books and fan fiction authors. The standard author royalty rate is 35 percent of net revenue for works of at least 10,000 words, and royalties will be paid monthly.

"Seeing Pretty Little Liars fans adapt and create their own stories is both exciting and flattering and I think what Amazon Publishing is offering through Kindle Worlds is a great way to reward their ingenuity," author Shepard said in a statement.

In addition, Amazon is also piloting an experimental program for short works between 5,000 and 10,000 words. The company will pay fan fiction authors digital royalties of 20 percent for these short stories, which are generally priced less than $1.

Amazon said it is in talks to secure licenses for additional books, games, TV shows, movies, and music to expand the platform in the future.

"Our goal with Kindle Worlds is to create a home for authors to build on the Worlds we license, and give readers more stories from the Worlds they enjoy," Philip Patrick, director of business development and publisher of Kindle Worlds, said in a statement. "We look forward to announcing additional World licensing deals in the coming weeks."

For now, interested writers can visit the Kindle Worlds authors website for more information about the new platform.

Amazon Adds Comic Book, Sci-Fi Stories to Kindle Fan Fiction

Frank's picture

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420758,00.asp

Have a fanfic storyline about Aric of Dacia or Shadowman rattling around in the back of your head? Now's your chance to get it published.

Amazon's new Kindle Worlds fan fiction publishing platform today opened its doors to a number of characters from the Valiant Entertainment comic book world, as well as those from authors Hugh Howey (Silo Saga), Barry Eisler (John Rain novels), Blake Crouch (Wayward Pines series), and Neal Stephenson (the Foreworld Saga).

With those licenses secured, anyone can write and sell fan fiction inspired by the worlds of superheros like Bloodshot, X-O Manowar, Archer & Armstrong, Harbinger, and Shadowman, with even more to come.

"Kindle Worlds presents an amazing opportunity to bring Valiant's wide-ranging universe of characters to a new medium, and empower fans and aspiring creators," Valiant CFO Gavin Cuneo said in a statement.

"Comics are well known for their passionate and interactive fan communities," he said. "And, through the Kindle Worlds platform, we're excited to give aspiring authors and fans the opportunity to work within the Valiant Universe, make their stories accessible to a large audience, and earn revenue for their work."

When Amazon's new publishing platform debuted last month, the online retail giant revealed licenses for popular titles from Warner Bros. Television Group's Alloy Entertainment division, including the best-selling book series Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar, Pretty Little Liars from Sara Shepard, and Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith.

Writers can pull inspiration from the new slew of comic book characters and science fiction stories to create their own e-books, available for purchase in the Kindle Store.

"Good storytelling for me starts with great characters, no matter the format," Archer & Armstrong author Scott Nicholson said in a statement. "I'm thrilled that Amazon has been pushing the digital frontiers to open up even more sharing of ideas and building new communities around the most popular characters and stories."

Amazon Publishing pays royalties to the original rights holders and the author; the standard author's royalty rate (for 10,000 words or more) will be 35 percent of net revenue. Amazon is also beginning a pilot program for short works — between 5,000 and 10,000 words, generally priced less than $1 — which will receive royalties of 20 percent.

Interested writers can follow Kindle Worlds on Twitter for regular updates, and visit the Worlds website to stay up-to-date on submission guidelines and licensed properties.

For more, see PCMag's Kindle Worlds Gives a Home to Fan Fiction.

Hugs

Frank

Fan Fiction

Me, I hope that Lilith Langtree and others who have created story universe here will allow and encouage the authors who have posted stories in their universes to post at Amazon. But will Amazon in time also publish paperback versions and what about those authots we no longer hear from? How can their stories be posted at Amazon?

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Fan fiction...

Andrea Lena's picture

As far as authors from whom we no longer hear? Since they don't publish new works and have either withdrawn or are writing in other genre', it's not really up to anyone but them as to whether or not they post on Amazon.

As much as I like the idea of fan fiction; allowing another author or several to post stories in Lilith's or any other author's universe takes the control of their own work one more step out of their hands, so to speak. If they sought to compile an anthology of the contributors in a volume, that would make much more sense; giving them complete say so on what gets published from their creative work.

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Contracts

Amazon launched a number of imprints for new authors a few months ago. The contracts were roundly criticized on a number of points; I don't know if they were ever fixed. I'd suggest at least a modicum of caution here.

If I understand the press release, this is only open to stories set in a universe where they (that is, Amazon) has a contract with the author. I have no idea whether Amazon would be interested in contracts with authors with very small followings.

Xaltatun