Navigation links between chapters

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

One reader has pointed out to me that there are no links to the previous chapter, or the next story at the base of my current posting. Also, my previous posting links to my next story rather than the next chapter of the current story. I always assumed that these links were put on automatically by the system, but apparently not so. Is this something that I, as an author, need to concern myself with?

Regards to all and thanks for a wonderful site.

Louise

You're sort of right

The links are created automatically by the Outline system, but the system needs to be told what book the new chapter is a part of. You can do that for yourself. If you don't, though, Erin or one of her elves will usually do it for you.

Thank you for everything, Stan

Melange's picture

Well, this was a little emotional. I was looking for a way to sort my chapters under a single "book", and look who had the answer for that?

Keep on shining, Stan

Actually...

As Lexa says, if you hook your story up right, the links appear.

Basically:
1) Create a "title Page" (a different type of content.
2) Go to Chapter 1 of your story and click the "outline" tab (instead of the "edit" tab) and you can browse/find your title page.
3) Repeat for other chapters.

If you've named your chapters alphabetically, that's all you need to do - everything will be in order. If not, you have to play some further games with some of the other options on the outline page, but it's easier to just name them so they show up alphabetically (i.e. Chapter 01, 02 ... 09, 10, 11 rather than 1,2 ... 9, 10, 11. The former will sort correctly, the later you'l get something like Chapter 1, 10, 11, 2....)

if you can't manage on your own, you can ask one of the admins for help, but I believe most authors manage on their own, eventually. (Of course, if you have as many chapters as Angharad, you may need some help just to carry the chapters...)

Good Luck,
Annette