How to post stories on BC...

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

This is a frequently asked question and I thought I would put this up and let everyone who wants to take a crack at answering it.

Hugs,
Erin

I messaged Erin

so hopefully you should have author status today

Sephrena

How even do I get this, myself?

I've recently opened my account here so I can start posting stories on BC in addition to TGS, and a friend of mine is trying to add me as an author to a collaborative effort I'd taken part in (a Mixtape by Tris et al.,). Since I'm not listed as an author on this site, Tris cannot add me as one to the Mixtape.

So, how do I get the ball rolling in the first place to receive a shiny author status? I understand Erin takes time to get through applications and whatever else she needs to do, but I don't see an option anywhere for that?

Thanks, y'all.

Usual thing

erin's picture

The usual thing is you post a story, one of my assistants calls my attention to it and I upgrade your account, add you to the Authors list and modify your post so it shows you as author.

For a story appearing as one of a multi-author post, I probably should have been contacted by the poster via PM. I just happened to see this comment. I really need a communication from the poster of the Mixtape to confirm that you are one of the authors. A PM would be best with a link to the Mixtape.

Otherwise, just post another story yourself and the regular process will take care of that.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I've sent them a message

I let them know what you said and linked this thread in the forum. I'll see about adding something, otherwise, if that is truly the best bet.

I will say I'd feel odd about adding something from here I'd once written for TGS years ago, so I'll see what I can do in the meantime for this site's sake. Thanks for responding, btw. =)

Account difficulties

Erin,
My account is about 2 days old. All of the links on the 'My Account' page lead to blank screens. All of the forums have a message at the top saying I'm 'not authorized to post new messages'

On day one I was able to post new messages, and tried twice. At the end of the form there was a save button but not a submit button.

Also on day one, all the links from 'My Account' led to an 'access denied' message.

???,
T

[edit] Still digging - I think I understand now why the links go to blank pages (I have not designated any favorites?)
Still don't know why I was 'Asscess Denied' for the first day.

Posting permission

In the top left corner of each forum I have the following message:

You are not allowed to post new content in the forum.

When I first opened my account, it said (approximately)

Post New Message

I tried twice. (One here, one in Hangin' Around) Each time it took me to a form that looked right for the task at hand and I filled it in. The preview looked good both times, and then I saved. (Pretty much the same process as doing this reply.)

But neither of those posts ever showed up.

And now I am blocked from new posts.

???,
T

Something like this...

Something like this (the first message) hit me once. The solution to that was:
1) close browsers
2) clear cookies
3) reboot computer
4) login - telling it to NOT remember
5) log out
6) Login in again and try.

Good luck,
Annette

Hmm

I bet they were good ...

T

thanks

I have to finish some other stuff before I can reboot. I'll let you know.

T

no cigar

Still not authorized to post a NEW topic.

T

It there a way

... to get the attention of one of the site managers?

I'd like to get this problem with my account ironed out.

T

I've PM'd

Daniela Wolfe's picture

I've PM'd Erin concerning the matter. Please be patient, our wise and mighty sight administrator will get everything working for you, soon enough. ;)

Have delightfully devious day,

Thank you sweety

I know the value of patience. And, as I have lurked around this site for a year or two, I know that Erin is one of the 'go to' girls here.

I appreciate your help in this matter. Damn, I feel almost like I'm stuck on the roadside with a flat, hoping that my heroine will come along and save me.

XOX,
T

Try posting now

erin's picture

Your problem is that you had never acknowledged your email address to validate your account. You can post comments without that but not other content, this is an anti-spam measure. I forced the validation through, logged in as you and checked to see if you could post. You should be able to do so.

Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

But I thought I did

There were two ways to respond to that email.

I tried the first one, but it changed the message from 'post new' to 'you can't post'

So then I tried the second one (where I had to then fix up my password).

At that point I saw a message in my account that said I had successfully validated. But the link still said 'you can't post'

Being an experienced engineer and programmer, I am familliar with the impact of 'cosmic rays' on computer systems (both the hardware and software components). Things occasonially go off for no obvious reason. (I'm also familliar with the impact of 'fat fingering' a reply.)

Makes me shiver when I contemplate the impact on my bank account, if a cosmic ray were to strike. In theory, it can hurt or help. In practice, however, you know damn well what will happen.

Thank you Erin, the Post New link is back. I'll try it tomorrow.

T

The sheriff

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Erin isn't just a go to girl she's the sheriff in these parts. ;P

You're welcome. Looks like Erin was able to get everything taken care of.

"sight administrator"?

I've always wanted 20/20 vision, can she fix that? ;-)

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Only

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Only if you ask real nice like.. :P

Account issues

I am looking for how to post a story but have not been able to find the links that everyone is talking about. I have tried FireFox and IE with no luck. I have had an account for 7 plus years.

I don't know if I will have something for this contest or not, still working on it.

Thanks in advanced for the assistance.

At the top of main page

is a string of words that are clickable across the top of the page: Feed ++Fiction ++Storylink, etc.

Click on ++Fiction.

Drag and drop your story into the main text window and then title it, add some descriptor tags and click preview, then save.

Sephrena

Not there

Here is what I have at the top of the page in both IE and Fire Fox.

Top.jpg

It does not have the ++ that you listed.

Thank you for attempting to help.

You aren't logged in. Or else

Brooke Erickson's picture

You aren't logged in. Or else there's something really odd about your account. I note that the "send private message" option doesn't show up on your posts.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Logged in

I get a "you are logged in" indication and can see my profile. Who do I need to contact to get this corrected?

Logged in.jpg

The system says I have had an account for 7 years and 40 weeks.

Well, there's something odd

Brooke Erickson's picture

Well, there's something odd about your settings since you don't show as being able to receive PMs.

Silly thought, you aren't using any browser extensions that block javascript are you? I know I had to unblock bigclosetr.us & cloudflare.com before some things worked right.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

New Author

Do I need to wait for Erin to verify me before I can add a story? I can't find the links mentioned in this post.

Help

PetBabyAmy's picture

I keep seeing references to "Create content" in this FAQ, but I can't seem to find it, do I need to register as a New Author first? Please bare with me, I have a learning disability, such a thing however does not stop or prevent my creativity to do stories. I have joined this site so that I can become a new author here, but your FAQ I am sorry to say and all the replies given have made me completely confused. I would appreciate please someone to teel me simply in step by step and easy to understand intructions what I need to do. Example Register as New Author, where I go first, how I do that, etc. Then step by step of how to post, once I am able to digest in simple terms that I can understand, which makes it easy for me in being able to do things, most other people take for granted or not realize the extent of other people who do have learning disabilities, as there aree many different levels of that. I sure would appreciate any help and support please.

PetBabyAmy

easiest way

Dawnfyre's picture

click on the ++Fiction link on the top of every page on the site.

that takes you into the add a new story steps.

getting added to the author list, you need to post a story first, use NEW Author as the author, then one of the admins should add your name to the list. you can then edit the story and replace / add to the Author your own name.

Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

im curious too

did I do something wrong with making my account here
I have a story I would like to start posting but how, DId I make an error

I dont see ++fiction on the top

Home Stories Solos Serials Authors Blogs Forums Web Links FAQ Navigation Feed Donate Logout
Main menu

Did I make an error. It says I dont even have permission to send messages or I would PM you and ask you for help

++Fiction

displays almost directly above the "Stories" link when you are logged in. I don't know if it shows up if you aren't, since I don't think I've viewed the site without being logged in in five years or so.

Melanie E.

Erin what is wrong with my account

I still cant do it :( and my minue is the same as if I was not logged in. I got no options to send messages or post any new material. Please tell me what I did wrong or is this an admin thing that they have to give me permissions to do it for new accounts? I have new stories I would love to post here but I cant. Erin what is wrong with my account

That's your side menu

The ++Fiction option is at the very top of the entire page.

As for PMs/messages, you don't get that option any more until your account is upgraded to a full author account.

Relax, scroll to the very top of the page, and look again.

Melanie E.

my top list still looks the same

There is no ++fiction or ++anything. what you see in my picture is what I have. How do I get it or does Erin have to verify me first and when can I expect that.

Alternative to cut-and-paste into the "body" window.?

Is there any way to upload a story (the text, if that's not clear) other than by cut-and-paste into the "body" window?

I have some stories that have, let us say, grown in the telling (in one case, ~75K words), and I'd like to post them in chunks of 15 -20 chapters, rather than chapter by chapter. Cut-and-paste seems tedious, not to mention I'm afraid it will overload some buffer.

A second question: what is a good way to find some brave soul who might be willing to look over my text before I actually submit it, as was recommended by several people in this thread?

When I post a story

I use copy &paste from my word processor, But lately I've been wondering how to post multiple chapters. Ate there any instruction on how to do that anywhere?Be gentle I have a very short attention span. I am trying to work on it.

If you are a HTML novice, the editor functions can be difficult

Julia Miller's picture

HTML code will apply attributes to your text. The editor has a row of Icons above the text box, If you use the text modifiers, you have to first highlight the text in the text window that you want to change. Then you select the icon you would like to apply to the text. Try each icon out to see what they do to your text, use Preview to apply the HTML code. The icons on the right are for pasting pictures and adding web links and a few other modifiers, again, try each one out to see what they do. Here is a general tutorial on HTML code. There was an older link here, but it no longer worked.

Web3 HTML tutorial

Pages