Is it okay to include some medical aspects in a story if i dont know

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

in my most recent story I received this review

this sort of fiction and won't be reading more. The idea of a uterine transplant is the brain child
of someone with no medical or physiological/anatomical knowledge. Strictly in the realms of fantasy.Sorry.

Now I admit I have no medical knowledge but I dont really think this is a big deal that makes this story unreadable. and while a uterine transplant may seem totally ridiculous to someone with medical knowledge it doesnt to me. And I have seen other stories here that include it that have been very successful.

In fact there was one story here years ago where a boy was involved in a plane wreck. he was at a terminal with his family when a plane collided with it. I think his family died and he was seriously injured and had to go though srs to save his life. And they implanted his mothers womb in him. kind of silly but not so much it was unreadable. it was a pretty successful story

given that story's content i didnt think my story went beyond the bounds of acceptability or the ability to suspend disbelief.

Your doing fine.

It's called fiction for a reason people. Relax. There is no need to rag on someones story if it is not accurate. How much of hollywood is accurate. Just relax and enjoy the story. The last thing we need is Erin getting pissed off and turning off this site again.

As an author, ...

I believe you have the ability to ask Erin (or her helpers) to remove any comment to your story (or at least I seem to remember reading that somewhere) for any reason you deem fit or no reason at all.

So if you believe a comment might detract from other readers' enjoyment of the story, I would ask about it.

Even if not, I would also poke Erin on any unfriendly comments and ask her to review them.

Please don't let one bad apple deter you from continuing a story or bring the slightest thought to leaving.

Also, if this user troubles you that much or continues to badger you, I would think about the "Ignore User" link attached to their post. This will make it so that you won't see anything that user posts any more.

Depends....

Andrea Lena's picture

....as someone once said, all things are permissible, but not all things are expedient. If you're telling a sci fi or a fantasy story, a transplanted uterus and even pre-pubescent SRS as you've described make sense. In a story that chooses to portray real-life issues and events, it sort of doesn't fit. That doesn't make it wrong, but it doesn't mesh with the story you might wish to portray. Even fiction must make sense within the framework and context of the story it wishes to convey, so perhaps a different description of the story or even different tags. Your editor should be able to help you settle issues like this. I hope this helps.

Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Transplants

erin's picture

Uterine transplants have successfully been done with non-human mammals. That's enough to suggest that they could be done with humans, enough for a willing suspension of disbelief. The problem comes when someone who isn't willing wants to be a nuisance about it.

Basically, if you get a comment, ever, on any story saying something just couldn't happen the best thing to do is ignore it or ask me to remove it. Some people just don't understand what the word fiction means.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

its ok

it increases my comment count :) even if it was to tell me she wouldnt read it anymore

oh well i cant please everyone

Removed comments

erin's picture

After I posted earlier I did a Google. Uterine transplants for humans are medical fact, not fantasy. A successful result, meaning no rejection problems, has not been achieved but is considered simply a matter of technique and proper medication. A hospital in New York has started a program to develop a procedure for achieving successful transplants within a short time.

It's not science fiction at this point, it's just science.

Considering that, I removed the comment by the person who said it was impossible.

Hugs,
Erin

Moreover...

Puddintane's picture

...ectopic pregnancies have (very rarely, since it's a life-threatening complication) resulted in a life birth. The same sorts of modern medical technology that would make possible the implantation of a uterus might also increase the odds of survival for both parent and foetus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectopic_pregnancy

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Assuming the Technology Itself...

...isn't the point of the story, I wouldn't see that as a problem. There have been plenty of stories, mainstream and otherwise, in which the science background isn't up to par. It's certainly not a positive factor in evaluating a story premise, but it's not a game-breaker by any means.

A science-fiction writer (James Hogan, I think) wrote a novel a while back set in the version of the Solar System imagined in the 1950s by Emmanuel Velikovsky (Worlds in Collision) -- considered by many to be one of the most ludicrous scientific concepts ever assembled, as the novelist probably well knew. But the relevant question there was what he'd do with that background, not whether the concept made sense.

Yes, there are people here who won't be able to suspend their disbelief enough to continue reading your story, just as there are for many other plots, "scientific" or otherwise. I don't think there will be a lot of them; as you note, there have been successful stories here based upon that sort of situation. I don't think it's unfair of a commenter to point it out. But don't assume that the comment is representative of your entire audience.

Eric

Of course

Of course it is princess, it's YOUR story, YOUR universe. It doesn't matter if you do a uterine transplant or create a world in which only lesbians and homosexual men can bear children, it's all up to your imagination. If someone wants to nitpick, here's a phrase my boyfriend often says. "When you apply real world physics, and science to a fictional world, God kills a catgirl, please think of the catgirls ;_;" xD

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, gamer girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Not to mention

Extravagance's picture

the CatBOYS. They suffer an even worse fate, from what I've heard. = (

Catfolk Pride.PNG

understanding

Princess,

As the commentor who started this whole mess mentioned, she didn't like this sort of fiction and won't be reading more. Well, I am of two minds on this story. On one side, the disfigurement of a child, the cruel destruction of his future eats at me in a way much like femdom/identity death stories do. On the other, it has the potential to become a great classic if handled right and I would like to finish it once started. Really torn about the matter :(
That having been said, it is your story to tell, don't let others tell you how to say it. It is a great start and has got my attention. The greatest stories are those that challenge you and make you think. Take care,

Diana

Is it okay to include some medical aspects in a story if i dont

As her editor and friend, I am helping her with her story.A Different Plane of Existence By Karen Page http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/264/different-plane-ex... is the story where a young man into whom was transplanted his mother's womb because of an accident that tore away his bits, and left him an orphan. And The Rose, Written by Maggie the Kitten is one where a young woman born in the body of a boy receives the medical miracle og growing her own womb. http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/book/5269/rose

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

RAMI This is a PM I sent to

RAMI

This is a PM I sent to Princess this morning> It is a reply to her PM to me regarding an earlier PM I sent her. It is on topic, so I have now posted the PM.
It is in line with what many others are saying.

RAMI

Dear Princess:

I just reread the part of the story where, you describe, the situation. You indicate the boy, is now developing estrogen on his own, and now has a uterus. The doctor expresses disbelief, and says he does not understand how this occurred. Mom and child went home.

True, today as far as we know, that is an impossibility. Maybe impossible forever. But, just staying in the realm of possibility, even if pushing the limits a lot, could this not occur? Stem cell research is a hot topic. Without getting into any religious or moral questions, what are the limits of the science. Its strong proponents indicate, that stem cells could repair damaged organs, and grow replacement organs. If that is so, why is the possibility of using stem cells to grow a uterus so fantastic as to be unbeleivable.

I am 59. If when I was taking biology in Jr. H. S. a teacher had said that within the next 5-7 years, a persons heart could be transplanted, he would have been fired as a quack. Today, transplants likely occur on a daily basis. Recently there was talk of a face transplant. SHould I suspend my disbelief? No, I do not have to. It is real.

At this point in the story, you have no reason to be sorry or feel bad. Perhaps you have some work cut out for you, as you go forward with the story, to make your explanation, more plausible, but I think using Stem cell research, and experiments that Dr. Mengle started with twins at AUschwitz, could lead to something beleiveable.

The comment crtcizing you and my reply, seems to have been removed. I do not know if you did so, or the author of the criticism or by Erin.

I would ask a question of the commentor, as to what type of transformation stories she likes, and what limits she puts on them. Many stories here, create complete transformations, using magic or witch craft or nanites or other Sci. Fi. creations. If you wrote your story and said that it was a magical transformation, would the commentors criticize?

If you do not like the Dr. Mengle type of angle, then perhaps, deep in the Amazon basin, there is a tribe that uses herbs to create the transformation. Would that be better.

I again contend that you wrote nothing that should disturb you. Your story is a perfect part of this genre. I am not sure how many people you allegedly offened, or who disbeleived. I saw one comment. Did you get many PM's? What were they complaining about. Was it the transformation or the forced femme? Complaints about those would be different. There is one commentor here who always complains about forced femme stories. Several years ago, someone asked for a ban on forced femme as I remember. If that is the type of comment you are getting, forget it. Also make sure that the PM's are not from the same person, writing under different user names. It is my understanding that some persons here, in the past at least operated under more then one user name.

Turn that :( into a ;-) or an even bigger ;-0.

I liked your story. Most of the others who commented did as well.

RAMI

RAMI

YES ...Yes . . . Yes

I included a uterus transplant in my story Exitus Acta Probat - The Outcome Justifies the Deed.

http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/572/exitus-acta-probat...

If my memory serves I first did an internet search and found several newspaper articles -- one was an obvious hoax, but helped with getting the overall tone correct. I also asked a friend who is in the health community for advice.

I don't recall anyone being too unhappy with that story.

If a person cares enough to make a comment, you did a lot of things right.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Your Story

I wouldn't worry to much about what people have to say Princess, I am writing a story at the moment and have also had a few comments concerning the medical explanation, and I had a few comments that were posted that were not the greatest concerning the medical side of of the story. I researched a medical condition, so that I could make the story more realistic. So for the most part if people want to look into the medical condition the information is on the net because that is where I found it myself.

The point that I am making is what really matters is the story line. There are always people out there that are going to complain, but if you are like me you write for your own enjoyment. as for myself, I really do enjoy love seeing the comments, good or bad it means people are reading my stories and if people are talking back and forth about what I wrote then I know that I am doing a good job.

I wouldn't stop writing just because you get a few bad comments none of us are professional writers here and I wouldn't worry to much about your spelling you have someone that is going over the stories even if not everything is caught the story still reads better then the unedited version.

Cain129

thank you for all of your assistance. YOu have helped me

resolve this issue. Her comment to me about having no medical knowlege showing from my discriptions. I just dont want to look like an idiot hee but with what Erin has said about uterin transplants actually have occured in humans showed me that I havent. Maybe it being done in a male is beyond the bounds of possibility at this time. but I am okay. Thank you everyone

First uterine transplant...

erin's picture

...was done so long ago it seems incredible, back before WWII. The recipient was born male and would today have been called a transexual. Tissue rejection and necrosis killed her.

One of the sorts of potential recipients being discussed in connection with that New York hospital planning a study is transexuals, however.

Hugs,
Erin

News people get it wrong

erin's picture

If it's an entirely artificial organ, it's not a transplant, it's an implant. I've seen the wrong term used on other news channels, so it's not just Fox making the mistake.

Hugs,
Erin

Trannies stole my Uterus!

laika's picture

My name is Melanie Jacobs and this is a really true story of what happened to me two years ago during Mardi Gras. I was a 23 year old superhot big titted (34DD) lesbian at the time---(the kind who always tell people our measurements and leave our high heels on when we have sex)---and when partying in New Orleans one Mardi Gras I met this girl---or I thought she was a girl---who looked pretty good, and got me totally drunk and invited me up to her room. Little did I know this person was one of those "transgenderds" who only wanted one thing from me- MY UTERUS! Well three things, they took my overies too. And all the little tubes and stuff, so make that, uh .... Well you get the idea. They harvested + stole my womanhood!

When I got up there her whole personality changed and she laughed evilly; then she and her big burly drag-queen girlfriend chloroformed me as they wrestled me onto the coffee table, and when I saw the halogen worklights and all that makeshift surgical equipment just before losing consciousness I knew I was in big, big trouble...

I woke up in a bathtub full of bloody ice & water in excruciating pain---I felt as if I'd been cored like an apple!---barely strong enough to call for help; But luckily someone heard my feeble cries over all the loud music down on Bourbon Street and they got me to the hospital before I bled to death. True story. So watch out who you go home with or this might happen to you!

Although ironically what I didn't know was I had undiagnosed cervical cancer, and what they did to me cured me of that, while the "girl" who butchered me died from it in prison a few years after they caught her...

(What's scary is I could see certain types believing & circulating a fearmongering crock of hooey like this. Hugs, Ronni)

like.. totally

kristina l s's picture

It happened to a friend of friend here in Sydney back in Feb at our Mardi grass, she woke up in a Darlo squat all messy and... well empty, ya know. Scary stuff. Oh and I know that last line is just to protect the identities like.
huggly wugglys, and ya'll be careful out there... ummmmm.

Kristina the gullerbil.