English for non English speaking people

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

THIS IS GREAT... took a lot of work to put together!!! You think English is easy???
Read to the end . . . a new twist!

1) The bandage was wound around the wound .

2) The farm was used to produce produce .

3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse .

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.

5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.

6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert ..

7) Since there is no time like the present , he thought it was time to present the present .

8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

10) I did not object to the object .

11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid .

12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row .

13) They were too close to the door to close it.

14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.

15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow .

17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear .

19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

Let's face it - English is a crazy language!
There is no egg in eggplant , nor ham in hamburger ; neither apple nor pine in pineapple .
English muffins weren't invented in England or French Fries in France ..
Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads , which aren't sweet , are meat.
We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly , boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig .

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing , grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham ? If the plural of tooth is teeth , why isn't the plural of booth , beeth ? One goose , 2 geese . So one moose , 2 meese ? One index , 2 indices ? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend ? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them , what do you call it ?

If teachers taught , why didn't preachers praught ? If a vegetarian eats vegetables , what does a humanitarian eat?
Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital ? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship ? Have noses that run and feet that smell ?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down , in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on .

English was invented by people , not computers and it reflects the creativity of the human race , which, of course, is not a race at all . That is why when the stars are out they are visible but when the lights are out they are invisible .

PS. Why doesn't ' Buick ' rhyme with ' quick ' ?
You lovers of the English language might enjoy this...

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is ' UP '.

It's easy to understand UP , meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP ? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report ?

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car... At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP . We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP ! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP , look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time but if you don't give UP , you may windUP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP . When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP ! When is rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP .
When is doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP .
One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP , for now my time is UP , so........it is time to shut UP !

Richard Lederer

The original (web version) can be found here: http://www.verbivore.com/arc_ceng.htm

It's taken from the introduction to his book Crazy English: the Ultimate Joy Ride Through Our Language (Pocket Books, 1989)

And if you think the two letter word "up" has many meanings, just find a decent dictionary and look up the three letter word "set"...

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I Would Be More Interested In

. . .an "indecent" dictionary.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

(They missed the ubiquitous "UP yours.")

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Well, they've relabeled it now,

But it's obvious Microsoft is in an English speaking country (in spite of what folks might think in the UK).

After all, starting with Windows 98, you had to click that "start" button to get to the options to stop your computer. I'll bet the guys over at Apple laughed for weeks. I know we UNIX/Linux geeks did.

Thanks for posting this, it was hilarious!

Hugs
Carla Ann

Geeks

Ah yes, the UNIX/Linux world, where if the program name's four letters long, it's bound to be an acronym. Bonus points if it's recursive...

Take the story of Pine.
They started off with a program called elm (Electronic Mail), and modified it. So Pine Is Nearly Elm.
As development continued, at some point, all Elm code was removed. So Pine Is Not Elm.
Of course, officially, it's Program for Internet News and Email.

Perl. Officially, it's Practical Extraction and Report Language. But read the man page (the UNIX equivalent of the help file), and the creator states it actually stands for Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister.

You might have heard of GNU (GNU's Not Unix). So they've already got a recursive acronym. They've produced their own kernel, called the GNU Hurd. HURD stands for HIRD of Unix-replacing daemons. And HIRD? HURD of interfaces representing depth. Yes, it's mutually recursive. And both HIRD and HURD are a play on "herd" (as in a herd of gnus). Does your head hurt yet?

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Oh the acronyms

We do like our acronyms, don't we?. And if they aren't to our liking, we invent our own interpretations. My favourite one (the acronym, not the [ugghhh] collection of bugs it describes) is probably emacs. Editor MACroS, you say? Well, that is not really evocative, is it? Let's try this one: Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift. And you even know how to use the program - just try some of these keys and hope for the best.

And there are actually 11 kinds of people in the world - those who understand unary and those who don't.

Well, of course.

Microsoft is a country. Otherwise, they'd not be able to get away with what they do. Would they?

Heteronyms/ homographs

They missed some of my favorites -- bear, project and, of course, read (which is just cruel to seven year olds).

BTW, one of my characters (whose name is a heteronym) had this conversation long, long ago. (Can't pass up a chance for a plug (and I got to use an 'up' idiom too.))

Up in most uses

erin's picture

Up in most of those uses actually has a pretty simple meaning. It's a helping particle (adverb), used like a suffix, that means completely, finally or presently.

Take any of those verb forms and leave off the up, using one of the above adverbs in front of the verb instead, and you have a synonymous phrase. Sometimes you have to put the verb into the past tense to sound like English which seldom uses the bare present tense.

A few are more idiomatic, like "work up an appetite" in which phrase "work" means "produce" and "up" means "presently".

Lots of languages use prepositions this way and some of the verbs in French started this way in Latin. English is just a little over-enthusiastic with the tactic but really, nothing compared to Chinese where the situation is much more advanced.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

The many faces of English

Well, I argued with myself for quite a while whether to comment on this post. On the one hand, I do understand that it is only meant to be funny, and I respect that (and certainly don't mean this comment as an attack on you for posting this). On the other, this (and similar posts like this all over the Internet and in other forms and formats) reveals an utter lack of understanding of the concept and the rules of language as such and a wilful ignorance thereof, virtually unheard of in any other field - rarely do you read a layman's opinion on New Zealand rock formations or the latest breakthrough in molecular chemistry. Yet, people whose only qualification in this matter is their vocal knowledge of English (and yes, I do know that it is fairly elitist of me, but the Internet proves to me time and again that mastery of spoken English does not come with any skill whatsoever of written English as well). Forgive me for such a simile, but that is like claiming to understand non-Euclidean geometry simply because you can count to ten when your hands are empty.

But enough of my griping. Yes, there are irregularities in English. There are irregularities in any language. I haven't used French in quite a while, but I'm sure that there are polysemous words there as well. I'm quite certain that Diegueño (a Native American language on the California-Mexico border) has affixes that look similar to different word roots. Even creoles have, in the process of creolisation, accrued features that are not unique. It is only thanks to the ubiquity of English as a de facto lingua franca of the modern world that these patterns gain widespread audience and make English seem special.

There are very few occasions in the history of any language (even if we limit ourselves to the past-Nostratic Indo-European development) when a change influences the language as a whole - the Great Vowel Shift in Germanic languages is probably the most common and best-known example of such change. Most changes work on individual words - whether they are semantic (change of scope of meaning) or morphological (usually as a result of folk etymology - which in turn is usually a result of opacity of the word). At the same time, word formation and derivational morphemes are constantly fossilising and being created, and what was once a productive (e.g.) suffix is now as opaque as can be.

Therefore the tooth follows the proto-IE ablaut pluralisation in teeth, while booth follows the English pluralisation into booths. Writers do write, while grocers used to sell things in gross (as evidenced in the older form grossers) - both words were (presumably) formed from the core word + the agentive suffix -er. Teach comes from proto-Germanic and has forms that are influenced by the umlaut of that language, whereas preach comes from Latin and has nothing of that sort.

I have to admit that I am less clear on the stress patterns of zero derivation. However, it seems to me the most obvious answer is the economy of language - the balance between the least effort necessary and the needed information to convey - and in cases like zero derivation (i.e. using the graphically identical word for different word classes), changing the stress pattern (or the pronunciation as such in monosyllabic words) seems to be all that is necessary to coin the word with a clear and separate meaning.

Finally, most of the phrases in the post are just that - phrases. 'To make amends' is a phrase as meaningful as 'to drink'. 'To make amend', on the other hand, would be akin to 'to drin'. And yet, no one asks why English lacks such a verb. Similarly, phrasal verbs are usually formed to fill a specific niche. And if the meaning shifts centuries later? Well, that's language for you. Always changing - but usually not in a way you can expect.

English does carry the legacy of two languages - Old English (or Anglo-Saxon; please, if you remember only one thing from my ramblings, remember this: do not use the term Old English for anything past 1066 [and most certainly not for 19th century!]), and Old French, or Norman French.

P.S.: Because Buick is an alternative spelling (the history of haphazard spelling dates far before the Eternal September) of the surname Bewick (as a quick search on the Wikipedia shows), while quick comes from the Old English cwic (pronounced about the same).

P.P.S.: I know that I may sometimes come off as an elitist show-off, and in part it is true - it is quite difficult not to feel somewhat superior on the Internet, where people frequently produce the written equivalents of the cavemen-like "Me hit him stick!" And I have, for a couple years now, written mainly academic essays, which certainly influenced my writing as far as the sentence composition and lexis are concerned. However, to reiterate my point from the beginning, I did not write this to attack the poster, but to instead comment on some of the more interesting aspects of English that were in the post.

Nah, it ain't language

Hey, come on get over it. Save the ire for the clueless prescriptivist; they deserve it more, though it will do no good. I think that it is noticing the strange and weird within the language that gives birth to Linguistics undergrads, isn't it? Without the curiosity, and humor, that comes with noticing the quirky strong verbs, who would have ever developed the idea of strong verbs? And without that concept, we wouldn't know what the great vowel shift was, and Chomsky might have run for public office, and we would have no Whorfian hyperbole in the press to snicker at. These are all good things!

Besides, language is really no where close to being the least understood field in which people have the strongest opinions. Think of economics, and I won't even mention child psychology.

Eh, I suppose

The main problem with this is that I used to be like that (and I still am, but now I have some idea about why it is the way it is) and it's a bit of a "Ugh, I can't believe how stupid I was when I thought these two words had some (possibly mystical) connection, so now I have to tell everyone!" It's just one of my many character flaws. (Imagine English having no word for flaw. We'd all be perfect!)

I guess pretty much everyone has something they know something about and feel that everyone else is messing it up! The end of the world! I know for a fact that I use a lot of physics (and science-fiction) buzzwords, like quantum, and subspace (yeah, that's just technobabble) like I know what they mean, and yet I have no frakking idea. In my defence, I intended to write a much different comment, but during some of the rewrites it slipped into the form it is in now.

And Chomsky in a public office is scary. But then again, he might write a book about politics, it's just about the only thing he hasn't written a book about yet, as far as I know.

whorf, whorf.

...he might write a book about politics, it's just about the only thing he hasn't written a book about yet,...

He's written about something else?

Imagine English having no word for flaw. We'd all be perfect!

Whorf, whorf.

Two languages?

Old English/Anglo-Saxon was an inflected language, and it was the interaction with the Scandinavian of the Danelaw that ended that structure, replacing it with a more conjunction/preposition based language where the inflections largely disappeared. Norman French was very largely an imposition of vocabulary onto that pre-existing structure, with entertaining results such as the class-based words for meat and animals: cow/beef, swine/pork, deer/venison and so on. And I haven't even mentioned Scandinavian and Celtic vocabulary....

Always interested in discussing linguistics, now that I don't HAVE to write academic stuff any more (yay!!!) and for the benefit of those who don't know about the Great Vowel Shift, one example is the change from the sound "or" to the sound "ur". In Northern English languages, the orignal sound is used with the modern spelling. A small stream is called a "burn", as in fire, but pronounced "born". In Southern English, that has to be spelled "bourne", as in "Winterbourne", a spring that flows in the Winter. That is why, when Georde went to the doctor with a bad back, and the doc asked himn if he could walk, he replied "Work? Ah cannot even waalk!"

Another interesting archaism there is the use of the construction "I used to could"

All great fun!

Overwhelmed

I, on the other hand, can assure you that there have been times when I have been - underwhelmed.

Penny