weighing a story

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

when you add a story to a book, there is something called weighing the story I am not sure i understand how this works. Does that mean if I give a story more weight, it will appear out of alphabetical order?

It's a tool...

To "force" a specific ordering on "chapters" within a "book". Lower weights sort before higher weights. This is applied prior to the alphabetical sort.

Weighing :-D

Zoe Taylor's picture

Basically the way weighting works is that weight 0 applies to the first ten chapters, weight one to 11-99, etc. ordinarily.

So for example, if I had Becoming Robin Chapter 1 set at weight 0, and Becoming Robin Chapter 11 at weight 0, then my Book outline page would read

Chapter 1
Chapter 11
Chapter 2

At least, that's my understanding of it. I've never reached a high enough point (23 chapters, so far) where I needed to go beyond Weight 1 :-D

Hope this helps!

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Weight, Weight . . . Don't Tell Me

Yikes. There comes a point in every endeavor where the complexity exceeds my willingness to learn. Such was Calculus II in math.

Colleges refer to these moments as thinning out the herd.

I'll never understand "weights" because it's too darned technical.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Between meds and comprehension

Andrea Lena's picture

Ive struggled with this as well. So I did some research and this is what I came up with regarding "The Weight."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_5JOEmFK0

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Strange Ways

Puddintane's picture

>> Does that mean if I give a story more weight, it will appear out of alphabetical order?

Yes.

We just had a huge disgusting (sorry, I meant to say technical discussion) over here:

How to Use the Title Box

In it, I'm sure you'll find the only certain cure for insomnia, a method of ensuring hair loss (if you've ever wondered how to do this), and a thread you can refer your enemies to with almost certain assurance that it will drive them mad.

You'll also discover almost everything you can do with weights besides build up your upper body strength.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

The way Erin explained it, at least, I think I understood

what she said a few weeks back ...

Give a weight of 0 for chapters 1-9, 1 for 10-99, 2 for 100-999, and by extension, 3 for EAFOAB, at least for now.

Look for "How To Create a Linking Title Page and Link Chapters Together in a Series or Serial" in the site's FAQs.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

what i am thinking of

is that there will be (hopefully) a new vision spring story, that takes place after "when worlds collide" but its working title would put it before in an alphabetical arraigement. so can i counter this, or am I stuck having to either change its name or making a whole new book?

DogSig.png

You can do several things

erin's picture

Remember, we're only talking about the index title, the title in the title box here. Are there going to be multiple chapters? If so, the best way to do it would be to make a section title page, give that the weight you want to put it into the order you need and then the chapters can use their regular weights because they will all be attached to the section title which allows everything under it to start over.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Ah... like.. ya know...

kristina l s's picture

... I mean all my stories are heavy shit man, deep... ya know... feelings and shit like that...heavy..YEAH. Umm.... boy it's a good thing I haven't touched dope in 20 years. What were we talking about? Weight? Wha.....

Kristina