Why do you read TG fiction?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Hello all! I've been a lurker for quite a while, but finally found a good reason to post. See, I've been trying to figure out why I read trans fiction, and was hoping to open the question up to a larger discussion.

That is, I identify as a trans woman and am currently in the process of transitioning, and have been reading trans fiction (where gender changing is a major part of the plot) for years. Over the past couple of months, though, I've been trying to figure out what I get out of reading trans fiction, as part of some larger self-reflection. Here's the thoughts I've had so far:

-In general, trans fiction gives me characters with whom I can identify. Whether the transition/transformation/body swap/etc is voluntary or not, I can identify with someone who is A) in a body they don't understand and B) has to learn what it means to live as a woman.

-Going off of that, I'm interested in MTF trans fiction (which seems to make up the bulk of trans fiction) as the idea of struggling to 'figure out how to be a man' doesn't connect with my own experiences or desires. I'm more interested in reading about (and imagining myself as) a character figuring out how to get ready for the big ball than the big baseball game...

-Forced-feminization stories, where the main character is involuntarily changed from a man to a woman, feed into a fantasy about not having to deal with my own transition. That is, I've struggled long and hard with my identity as trans and with the choices I've made as part of my transition, and a part of me wishes I didn't have to figure everything out on my own; that someone else could take charge.

So. That's what I've come up with. I was hoping to open it up to a discussion, to see what thoughts any others had. There doesn't seem to be a ton of writing about trans fiction (at least, that I've been able to find) so I'm curious to see what you all have to say. Likewise, let me know if there's a similar discussion thread somewhere else.

-Rebecca

PS - As I said, this is my first time posting, so I'm not sure what the 'Author' field is supposed to reflect. I chose 'New Author," but apologize if I should have picked something else.

The seven 'E's'

Explore - reading to find new ideas or expressions, to help figure out where one is on the gender continuum.

Experience - to share the thoughts and feelings others have about themselves.

Expand - to widen one's horizons about the various lifestyles and choices.

Erotic - to engage in a sexual experience which may result in another E - Ejaculate.

Escape - to lose oneself in the fantasy of others when there is no chance of it happening in real life.

Evolve - to help oneself move forward toward a real life goal.

Excuse - to let someone else take charge - to not be responsible for your actions.

Commentator
Visit my Caption Blog: Dawn's Girly Site

Visit my Amazon Page: D R Jehs

Learning

Entering into the world of transsexualism late in Life, I did not understand much about it and had most of the missconsetions that those around us have. Luckily I had long period sick leave after a total crash when those two parts of me had a big fight inisde me. Still not really convinced about my future, I at least started to collect information from all kinds of sources. Scientific, organisational and also litterary sources was open for me during all those months until I got my soul "in order" again. Soon I found some collections of litterary material and downloaded as much as I could. I then had to struggle to make that fit into the format that my MS Word was set to, the reading took a lot of my time. At first I got almost all kind of stories that was not directly homosexual, as that did not match my own situation. More and more my interest focused on the struggle by the transitioning person and less on other sides of non-heteronormal situations. When I finally understood and accepted my own transsexualism I started to use the text as ways of training for the coming future of my life. Taking hints about my "new" gender in small parts here and there I got fairly well prepaired for the life after the final step in the transition. Together with the scientific knowledge I had amassed I was armed with a good shield against all the verbal and posture attacks that might have to meet.

Many of the litterary persons that has passed or even stayed on my hard-disks have become such an itegral part of my life as if they were true relatives, I have even sought out places where they were supposed to live.

I have been to the hometown of Tuck, wandered up and down (a cold day in May) on some streets in Bostom to find the the hose with the dark brick-stones, visited the railway-station that is such an important place in the Seasons series but unfortunatly not found the Seasons-house. Lately I have spend some time in UK to see where Drew saw the first signs of his probable change and last year the same time in Dernau, Germany, to find where Gaby may find her future home.

I do not think that I am alone to have those stories with us when we have gone to bed. I just hope that they have been as inspirational to others as they have been to me.

Sice about two years i start almost every time I get on line by coming here to see what's new. I cannot say that I like all things published here, but it is easy to pick out the stories I like and let the other stay untouched.
To all authors and managers a deeply felt THANK YOU
Ginnie

GinnieG

Just why?

Why? A very good question to me since I can't have a day without coming here.

My answer is it's easier to identify to the main character of a trans story that just any story. We have problems that the vast majority of people don't have I think. And having characters that have the same problems helps relate to them.

Thankfully, I currently live my life as a girl, 100% of the time. I'm accepted at college, ... in a way, I don't have much to complain about. But when I started college, I was pretty shy, and couldn't relate to others. And now, even if the hormones blew the shyness away in a matter of weeks, I still can't relate to others well.

Part of it is because I don't really relate to what others do (like drinking till you just throw up everything). And part of it is because I haven't related to others last year, I just can't start now. I mean, I was perceived as a very isolated person, I don't feel it ok to just start in the middle of the year to start making friends. And even if it was ok, I have absolutely no idea how you start making friends.

So even though I'm isolated, I want to have friends, perhaps a boyfriend as well, and just live my life and enjoy it. So these stories help me have an imaginary life like I really want.

Hopefully, in two years or so, I'll go in another university, and there, I know, there are many friendly people. I know a teacher here and few of its students, and really like them. So it shouldn't be as much of a problem then.

I don't know why, but I always related better with adults than people of my age. In junior high school for example, I preferred spend time talking with my teachers than other schoolmates.

So, I hope my experience helps. :)
Mildred

Why I Read My TG Fiction

by lisaloren
You hit on a great subject. I have been "transitioning" for 20 years now. That is I have been on hormones that long. I stiil live as a "male" who enjoys being called "m'am" all the time. That may sound weird to some, but that's my life. I definitely read the stories I can identify with.
While I was growing up I fantisized constantly of being forced to be a girl,whether it was my sister (&/or her girlfriends) playing dress up, or my mother giving me the "Well if you like dressing that way you can stay that way ALL the time" punishment. I never had the courage to come out & someone else forcing me will probably always be just a fantasy.
I am married so the wife getting fed up with cross dressing & forcing feminization is the other scenerio I read.
There is no sexual stimulation in reading these stories(for me) & the sexually explicit ones are sometimes a turn off. I think, for me, it is just good reading about subjects that are near & dear to me.

lisaloren

Reply to question of why you read trans fiction

I guess the reason why I a straight man read trans fiction is because I once had a remarkable relationship about 20 years ago with a transgender/androgynous etc. etc. (I am not quiet sure what category she fitted in) All I can tell you is that she was born male sort of but had more estrogen than testastarone excuse the spelling. Her name was Julie and she moved here from California and was here for about 2-3 years. I had a better relationship with her than with genetic females. I had a fantastic relationship with her until she had to move because of a job and I was too chicken to live in a big city. I think that is the reason why I read transgendered fiction stories.

Why?...it makes me feel good.

For a moment, I am able to escape from my male body.

I save stories to my phone, to read on the go when I'm feeling down. I usually try to identify the main character and change the male name to my male name, then do the same for the female name. That makes the story personal. Then I save it to my phone.

Hope I'm not the only one thats here....

To read about a child becoming who they are inside without their mother trying to commit them to an asylum, and their father trying to murder them, or even having to run away and live on their own at the age of 16. I read this stuff to imagine myself in the better situation. And sometimes I read stories about evil parents and runaways to help make my life seem almost normal. "What is normal?"

~Que Sera~

~Que Sera~

Eroticism

Over time it seems more apparent that I'm apart of a minority here, that doesn't seek fiction that likely aims to provide support, or escape for those who seem to be much more transgendered than I.

To put it simply but less crudely this time, for me, subjection to femininity is hugely erotic. The fiction only interests me if the subjection is written with an erotic emphasis. A male is made to feel ashamed of displaying feminine traits or to be thought of as such. There are many ways which to eroticize, or to perceive the feminine at the expense of the masculine.

I have wondered if there are people who seek both of these things from fiction, or if there is anyone who have never extracted any similar ideas themselves? Or what those who get nothing out of the erotic perspective think of that erotic perspective? I can say (and don't mean any hostility) that I often find it irritating when a promissing story emphasizes fulfilment of transgender acceptance or support. I'd like more categories within our fiction!

Hello; You bring up an

Hello;

You bring up an interesting issue. I am who I am. I began to fantasize about being turned into a very attractive but tough tomboy woman when I was an adolescent. When I read adventure comic books I would identify with the woman warriors. But in real life I preferred male activities, I could not get excited about fem stuff. I did enjoy playing house with my girl cousins. The things they would demand I do gave me a most pleasant tingle. My mom would be embarrassed by this and ridicule me, but I tried to ignore her. I played football, boxed, loved camping, fishing and hunting. I often went into the deep woods alone and pretend to be lost and trying to survive. I never did get really lost, though I tried. The landmarks always stood out. I have a photographic memory. I did a lot of drawing, especially cartoons of being forced into womanhood. I always destroyed my work before anyone saw it. I did not know how popular such a fantasy was.

When I was in the Army the guy's did not know what to think of me. I got in a few fights but always won. I could not believe how fast big tough talkers would fold. I was friends with the gay guys but did not participate. I would defend them against the intimidating insecure pussies that were threatened by the existence of gay. I was a good enough shot to get into snipers school but declined. These military experiences did give me a preference for G.I's being forced into womanhood, though.

I married a woman who looked somewhat masculine and had a vague reputation of being the school lesbian, because she was tall with a square jaw, but she was not that much into women, except she has always had a lesbian friend or two. I don't know if I should have written that. I love my wife as she is. We really get along well. We have been married a long time now.

I got into art and and when creating a feminine form, I do it best with feeling showing if I fantasize I an creating myself. The net has allowed me contact with the whole world's people as they really are. Glad to meet those who are here.

I still am who I am...

Why I read BCTS

I discovered BigCloset by accident, now I am addicted. I hope to post my own story here soon.
I read the content here to help escape from a body that would not transition well (6'3", 425 lbs, not particularly attractive, missing one leg) while still dreaming of transitioning. I know, it don't make sense. I'm also over 50 years old, and I have dreamed of transitioning since the 70's.
The stories here help me to cope with my disappointing reality. I LOVE things like "Becoming Robin", "Standing Up To Life", "You've Got It All Wrong" and "Easy As Falloing Off A Bike" and so many more! There are so many talented authors here, I only hope my stories don't seem too stupid.
TG fiction is now an important part of my life, and I think it will be from now on!

Wren

Dangerous and Addictive

I can remember when I attended CSUF and took a one
unit class where all you had to do was attend
lectures once a week. The class had several hundred
students and after signing in most left. One day
it was advertised an admitted homosexual was going
to speak. Standing room only for that lecture.
There is a part of my hometown that was going
downhill. It was rumored homosexuals were moving
in and opening businesses. Prosperous area now.

Why do you read this literature. You say you have
been doing it for years and now you want to be a
women. What part did reading these stories play
in your desire to change teams. Do you plan to play
the opposing team or sit on the bench and play
footsie with your new teammates.

As for me I have to find a new hobby. After reading
these stories several months I am doubting whether
I was ever on the straight and narrow path. I'm
finding I have developed a bond with some of these
mtf characters in the better stories. I'm starting
to believe perhaps that straight and narrow road
may have a curve or two.

From a conservative point of view these stories
are no different than regular stories. I sometimes
feel a regular story was rewritten with a "bend
or two" to spice it up. In these stories a person
may have a problem but it is no different than other
stories where a character has a different problem
or challenge. I like stories that our light in
that characters embrace or accidentally kiss
followed by embarrassment. Something the average
person can relate too. If sex is involved I like
romance and sex only hinted at.

Personally I think all people are slightly "kinky."

Kaptin Nibbles

Why, indeed?

Ragtime Rachel's picture

If you folks will forgive me for reviving a forum topic this old, I'd have to say I read TG fiction for the same reason I write it: wish fulfillment, pure and simple. As I've often said, it's why the protagonists of my stories are often young--I fantasize about having the opportunity to start over from the beginning as a girl. One who doesn't have to worry about such things as being "read" by potential bullies, being told she's not a "real" girl, or subtleties such as her gestures or the pitch of her voice. She just is, and nobody questions that.

And besides that, the outfits are cute....=)

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel