Recent Comments and New Commentary

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Based on a recent discussion, there are now TWO different comment blocks for the right hand column (so far only in the BigCloset Theme).

Recent Comments is the familiar one we've been using, listing 30 most recent comments with Subject and Time-ago.

New Commentary is the new one, listing 20 most recent comments with Subject, Time-ago and Author and with a link at the bottom to a page with 100 comments.

Logged in members can suppress or enable either from the My Accounts tab but probably won't need both. :)

Hugs,
Erin

Dang, Erin, you are fast ...

given your rapid responce to this one ... Um, can I have a mill .. a bill .. a trillion dolars? I promise to pay it back, honest!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I am changing my name to Chrysler ...

amyzing's picture

Or maybe Amy Mae? No, never mind. :-)

Erin, I adore the 'new commentary' format, if only because it means that I can keep my blood pressure down. :-) ;-)

... umm, so, err ... you remember that old chestnut about the reward for a job well done? Umm, any chance of having author's names on the blogs-and-forums? Reason: when I arrive, after the page loads, I go to the bottom, to see what's new in the non-story space, but when stories are posting fast, that sometimes means going to the next page. If the blogs-and-forums had authors, then I might not have to do so.

Amy!

Thank you, Erin & , & I'd druther ...

have the comments tell us what stories they are about. I've given a lot of authors an awful lot of extra hits by clicking on a comment only to find I've already read it when looking at a different comment I got to earlier. Stories that draw many comments have sometimes drawn 5, even 8 or as many as 10 hits, because I've looked at every comment and already read the 'new' one.
My memory doesn't remember comment titles very well, obviously. not to mention the same titles are used a lot. ( I'm guilty of a few 'uhhh's myself.)

Erin, Thank you for the MORE button on comments.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

That's easy

In the list of comments, if you hover your mouse cursor over the link, down on the status bar, where it shows the progress of loading the page and so on, it will show you the location of the link.

A comment like "That's easy" showing up on the page, if you look at the status bar will have a link like this:

http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog/10586/big-closet-nits-and...

That way you can see that it is part of the "Big Closet Nits and Picks" discussion.

----------------------------
May the Stars light your path.
Joy

The more Button Takes You Right To Them

The authors would be a nice ad to the Blog column now that they are on the comments, but you can get right to the blogs with the more button.

At first blush, I like the New Commentary format. I don't see any potential downside.

Thank you Erin.

I like the 'New Commentary' list

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Thanks Erin,

Having the name of the comment's author (and the original story at the bottom in my status bar) gives me a LOT more information and helps me remember if I have read the comment already or should go to read it.

Great idea - whoever thought of it. Thank you also for telling me how to personalize the home page to optimize the way I check out the site.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Thanks Erin

Frank's picture

Always nice to see changes for the better :) I was wondering if it would be possible to make the shortcuts box at the top of the main page an option? I personally don't use it and finds it just takes up space for me.

If you can great, not a problem if you can't...

Hugs!!

Frank

Hugs

Frank