Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 456.

Printer-friendly version

Bike 456.
by Angharad

I was exhausted, the past couple of days had extracted all my emotional energy and all I wanted to do was sleep. Once the crisis was over, Tom looked very drawn and tired as well. I keep forgetting that he’s an old man closer to seventy than sixty. He does remarkably well, and I grow ever fond of him as a father figure. Sometimes I wish I had a mother one as well, I do miss my mother, even if she didn’t understand me. I like to think that in time, she would have done, but it may be a delusion. The dreams or visions I’ve had have been very mixed, although most recently, they seemed to indicate she’d come to terms with me, which can’t be bad for a deceased individual. I shook my head, perhaps I was more tired than I thought.

“Would you care for a celebratory drink?” asked Tom. He was holding a bottle of whisky, probably a single malt, possibly one of the case I bought him for Christmas.

“Not that stuff, thank you. I don’t like the smell let alone the taste.” I screwed up my face.

“I wisna goin’ to gi’ yer any o’this, it’s far t’ guid for Sassenachs.”

“Not too good for Sassenachs to buy for you, I trust.”

“Ach weel, that’s different, mebbe.” His face broke into a grin nearly as broad as his accent, which got worse the more he had to drink. Think posh Billy Connolly–without the profanities, who said it was going to be easy–and you get the idea.

In the end, I settled for a glass of red wine, which became two and when I eventually got to bed, I completely zonked. I didn’t even wake to go for a wee until about eight the next morning.

It was Monday, and I showered and dressed as quickly as my tiredness would allow, grabbed a piece of toast and a banana and shot off to the university. Somehow, Tom had got there half an hour or more before me.

“Hello, stranger–I take it you didn’t go for a bike ride yesterday then?”

“Oh hell, I’m sorry Pippa, we were besieged by tabloid journalists, did Tom not say anything?”

“No, he’s been meeting with the Dean for the last hour, well forty minutes. I did hear there was a bit of uproar about the new guy, and Tom told me to cancel his classes.”

“Have you?”

“Only the first one, why?”

“Where’s his schedule?”

“Why?”

“Look here, you pen-pusher, I’m academic staff, I can pull rank on you.”

“Pen-pusher? You jumped up dormouse wrestler, you can make your own tea next time.”

“I did last time.”

“Did you, oh, sorry about that, memsahib.”

“I’ll forgive you this once.”

At this, Pippa, sneered and gave me ‘the finger’. I was suitably horrified by her vulgarity–once I stopped laughing. “You’re on secondment anyway, so bugger off.”

“Charming, here I am trying to rescue a sinking ship and all I get are insults from one of the rats–and not one of those refained lab variety either.”

“So how do you propose to save us from the perils of the deep?”

“Did someone wrap your sandwiches in poetry or something?”

“No, but there was a rime on the grass this morning.” This was obviously poetic licence as it wasn’t cold enough for frost.

“I can’t cope with this new depth of shallowness.” At this she chased me around her office with a paper knife, before we both fell down giggling. Finally, after carefully dabbing my supposedly waterproof mascara, I rose and picked up Montgomery’s schedule. “I can do most of this.” Two lectures on meiosis and one on the classification systems of plants and animals. They should have done it at A-level before they got to us, but we do occasionally get maths students who decide they no longer wish to be computers, so go for a more human oriented study–well, as human as rats and dormice ever get.

“I’ll do these for you,” I said and walked off before she could say anything to stop me. They’d had to revamp schedules after I was seconded anyway, so this would have been different to mine. I’ll have to be careful not to get too good at them, or they’ll add them to my list of subjects. These were first years anyway, so they’d have plenty to time to work out that I was winging it and correct their deficiencies and my inadequacies.

I wandered off as fast as my heels would allow me, they were too high really for standing about all day. So, my lectures will become workshops, I’ll set them off and sit down while they teach themselves. I was feeling better already. I had half an hour before I dealt with haploid cell division, something I don’t do any more, since my gonads had gone, so I went up to my office and down loaded a pile of illustrations from the net, swizzed them around in Powerpoint and went off to the lecture room.

An hour later, I wandered back to my office feeling quite energised. I’d actually remembered more than I thought about cell division, mitochondria and the like, and had kept them fairly well amused–as far as I know, no one fell asleep. I involved them, so the vocal ones got to entertain the more passive variety.

We’d even had a good laugh at my expense. It was my own fault, I asked, what’s the difference between meiosis and mitosis? The answer I got back from one of the boys, was–‘eunuchs can only do one of them’, ‘and transsexuals’ added another student. ‘Is that true, Ms Watts?’ asked another.

I paused before I answered, because there was a danger of losing the initiative to the mob, which would be a problem in future. “Are you asking me or telling me?”

“You’re the expert,” came back the reply, “On both counts,” added someone I didn’t see.

“Okay, thanks for that. Shall we say you have missed a rather important point. I am still capable of one form of meiosis–it’s on the marks I give for the essay you will all write. I’m sure you all understand that implication, in which case this has been a success, you now recognise the difference between haploid and diploid.” There were groans and protests, which I ignored.

The next two lectures were on the taxonomy of living organisms, a bit easier on the brain cells and apart from one wag asking, ‘Did someone who’d had a sex change move from one group to another?’

“Group maybe, if we accord them the status of their new gender, however, they remain the same species. Remember there are several vertebrates who change sex spontaneously in response to population needs. They remain the same species.”

“Is that what happened to you, Miss?”

“Yes, I remained the same species as before, would you care to come down and we could do a demonstration on you? I’ve got some scissors here somewhere…”

“Nah, he’d still be a slime fungus,” called another voice in amongst the uproar. Thankfully, after that, I regained full control and we actually had a good time going through the needs and means of classifying animals and plants. As it went on for two hours, it was just as well.

I gave them a short break of fifteen minutes in the middle, I needed to go for a pee and I was sure some of them did, the amount of bottled water they were drinking. Just as I got back from the loo, one of the girls came up to me with a friend. “Can we ask you a question, Miss Watts?”

“Sure, I don’t promise to be able to answer it, though?”

“It’s personal, I’m afraid.”

“In which case, I might not, but you’ve got this far, so you’d better ask it?”

“Were, um…were you really a boy, before, like…um?”

“Why do you ask?” When in doubt answer with a question.

“Well, you’re very pretty, like, and you don’t have, like, big hands and feet.”

“So what do you think, then?” I asked the blushing teenager.

“I don’t know, I don’t think you were…but the rumours…they say the place was full of reporters asking awkward questions and that bald headed bloke was saying nasty things about you an….”

“I think you’re very pretty and very brave,” said her friend.

“Okay, back to your seats then. Right, who can tell me the difference between a plant and an animal? Keep it clean and scientific..”

I was exhausted after the marathon session. Unless you’re a taxonomist, it’s as dry as dust. I hoped they didn’t think so. Just as we finished, one of them asked about the Youtube clip. That bloody film is going to follow me to the grave, I’m sure of it.

As I walked past Tom’s office, doing my world famous zombie impersonation, he stepped out and invited me in. “What are you doing here?”

“Teaching my classes, why?”

“You’ve been seconded, you are not officially here, and after the weekend, weren’t you in danger of being humiliated by your students?”

“That could happen at anytime.”

“They’re more likely to forget weeks or months later.”

“Not if it gets stirred up when the film is shown.”

“Maybe it won’t,” Tom shrugged.

“And maybe the moon is made of green cheese.”

“So why are you here?”

“To help you out, befuddle growing minds, get humiliated by my students–take your pick, but no more than two choices.”

“We’d have coped.”

“No you wouldn’t, I happen to know you have two staff off with flu and Mr Creepy has been suspended if not sacked. I was free, so I thought I’d amuse myself corrupting young minds.”

“They asked you awkward questions, didn’t they?”

“You know they did, apart from two mature students, they are all the victims of their hormones. I’m a curiosity, which hopefully, they’ll now know not to try and take the rise out of.”

“So they did?”

“Of course they did, and I answered back. It’s showbiz with subliminal learning.”

“Want some lunch?”

“I thought you’d never ask.”

“Thank you, Cathy, I do appreciate it.”

“I owed you one for yesterday.”

“That was me being protective of my daughter.”

“This was me being caring for my father,” I replied and he pecked me on the cheek.

“Come, daughter, let’s eat drink and be merry.” I followed him out even though sleeping was at the top of my list.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

twenty odd reads and no votes

Angharad's picture

this one's going to be popular! Did none of you enjoy it?

Angharad :(

Angharad

reads vs. votes

The reads are counted as soon as the page is loaded. It takes some time to read the story before reaching the vote button... :-)

M

Martina

Of course I did

Enjoy it, I mean.

As for votes, I've done my best by suggesting that the 'Vote' button was moved to the end of a story. I also complained on another story that so few readers had bothered to make the effort to vote. I can only assume that most don't like what they read. I can understand the reluctance to comment - it can be hard to think of something original to say - but voting is so easy. There's no accounting for folks. They're all a bit odd except for you and me and there are times when I'm not too sure about you.

btw not too sure I like your description of Tom as an old man nearer to 70 than 60 ... bit too close to home, that :)

Geoff

And, You Have to be a Logged In User to Vote

Just now there were 32 online users and 132 guests. Assuming a roughly balanced percentage of users and guests reading this part there would have been only 4 people eligible to vote out of the first 20 readers.

Update:
I just read and voted for today's posting. It's really really good. I like seeing Cathy handling the challenges that are put in front of her.

It seems like the vote counts that stories are getting are way up since the vote box has been moved (along with the increased chatter on the site about voting}.

I sure did enjoy it.

Cathy handled everyone just perfectly, as she does almost every time. That is, this group was not hostile, so her natural personality let her carry things off without anyone being insulted. She ignored where she needed to, and blended the rest into the study program where she could.

Her problems come when some bigoted *(^*&*( is trying to hurt her, or those she loves.
That is where almost everybody's defenses break down, as the attackers aren't even coming close to following civilized behavior.
That is where Cathy, like most of us, tries to withdraw until a defense can be devised, by her, or her freinds.
Luckily for her, they seem to have succeeded, eventually.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

So, that's what that is...

I wondered what the number and vote badge was....

Janice (why yes, people do refer to me as a pineapple, brown hair outside, blonde inside...)

gives as good as she gets

Cathy's a lot of fun when she's fighting back. I'm glad that none of the students pushed her hard enough to crack.

ah, nice one luvvie

kristina l s's picture

Funny how it's always young girls that want to ask extremely personal questions in public places. The blokes either stare or toss smartarse remarks ever so casually. Nice bit of juggling and lunch to follow, don't tell me, curry and a tuna with a pint and a white... sounds good. Happy pedaling.

Kristina

Ah, shoot. Caught again.

You know me. Save it off, and move on, then go back and read, vote and comment as I can. Cute interaction between the two, and I liked the way she handled the students, and some of the very awkward questions/statements. Give 'em hell girl!

I Am Glad She Handled The Questions

jengrl's picture

I am glad Cathy handled the questions. She has shown herself to be a credit to womanhood to the point that most everyone who sees her can't believe she was ever biologically male. Great chapter!

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Voting & Comments

Angharad

Your threat (or suggestion) that you might hang up your pen, as well as your talent and knowledge and quit honoring us with your wonderful tales has forced me into replying to you.

You provide great enjoyment and pleasure to many people, with the stories that you write.

I find it very difficult to express myself in words, as I am never happy with the results that I manage to get down on paper,(OR on the screen)and am very jealous of people like you who are able to do so, especially so consistantly.

While I still won't comment often, I will vote every time I read a story I like, and I hope you will continue to earn my votes for as long as you are able to be satisfied by providing material for us to read.

Maybe Cathy Should Have Juggled Dormice ;)

I am sure that the students would have liked that, of course they wouldn't have learned anything.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

An animated teacher

makes a BIG difference.

Thanks for the episode. I really enjoyed it.

Annette

All caught up

This has been quite a read. I must admit some admiration for those of you who have been reading this wonderful story from the beginning. Having to wait each day for the next verse of prose especially after the many many cliff hangers. This has been so much fun to read over the course of the last several weeks. Thanks Angharad for the effort and for not giving in way way back to end this story.

Where is the vote button?

I usually don't comment, but I don't know how to vote. Where is the link to vote?
As for the story, I read every one and enjoy them all. Cathy has been able to parry all of the questions with ease. I applaud her for her quick wit.

It's ...

... right at the end of the story. At the moment it's at 45 so Angharad has been proved wrong. I think readers are just voting to annoy her :)

Geoff

Oh. Is that what it is...

Here I was thinking it was just a defective 10% counter for her work...

Annette

Counts

I have voted every story. My understanding is the counter has messed up once or twice. I've been trying to comment pretty frequently, but I miss now and again.

I think the real problem is archives. If people could vote as a block there would be more counts, but going though hundreds (thousand) of entries just takes too long. If you do it as you read it isn't as bad. Still, I'm a very fast reader, and I notice a definite slow down. I suspect I've amused Angharad now and then though.

OLD MAN ?

What happens, a little bell goes off, saying we liked it enough to comment ?
Well "Tom's an old man, closer to 70 then 60". I may have to rethink my enjoyment level, after all, I'm almost an old man, and you, when you
read this will be very close to being an OLD lady !

Cefin