The Ballad of Nelly Pine

Printer-friendly version

'Twas the jolly crew of the Mary Deare in seventeen sixty-nine...
With a fresh wind on the Bristol Sound first sang ...

The Ballad of Nelly Pine

by Erin Halfelven

 

'Twas on the brigantine Mary Deare in seventeen fifty-nine
That Molly Peake, the captain's daughter, met young Neddy Pine.
Neddy served as the cabin boy of Molly's father, Jake,
Who was the son of sons of sailing men on back to Captain Drake.

And Molly said when she saw young Ned, "Surely, you're naught but a child.
Your skin is as soft as mine and your voice is sweet and mild."
Neddy blushed for he knew 'twas true, he'd not yet turned fifteen,
But he knew his ship from rudder to sprit and ev'ry spar between.

He could reef a sail from a foremast yard, be it so fierce a blow,
That most of the crew of the Mary Deare stayed safely snug below.
He could reckon a position from the clock and the sun
And near Jamaica he'd even occasion to captain a twelve-pound gun.

Molly laughed in delight as he stammered there, cheeks so brightly red.
"My Nan's sick, so I'll ask Da, can you be my maid instead?"
Molly teased the poor boy but her father heard what she said
And Captain Jake Peake let Molly make a maiden out of Ned.
 

So when they sailed for Baltimore on the rush of the Bristol tide
Twas Nelly Pine as lady’s maid who stood by Molly's side.
The crew of the Mary Deare had a laugh at Ned's expense
And Molly repented of her jest when she saw her new maid wince.

"I'll teach you things about women that none of these tars will ever know."
She whispered, "When this is over and we to our ways go,
You'll have yours back on many a maid, for what you learn
On this voyage will do the man you'll yet become a right good turn."

So Nelly and Molly sailed across the blue seas to Baltimore,
And Nelly learned about women till the Maryland shore.
Yes, Captain Jake gave his blessing to such a cunning plan
For he'd no intention that Nelly should ever again be a man.

"I'll make you a deal, Nelly," said the Captain, "Serve Molly as her maid
Twelve more months, I'll buy you a ship. I promise you'll be paid."
Scarcely above the surf, Jacob Peake sold the Mary Deare,
Settling in with daughter Molly--and her maid, Nelly-for-a-year.
 

Molly continued Nelly's lessons in all things of womankind,
With Jake as father and master, no better you could find.
But Captain Peake had fallen in love with fair Nelly Pine.
"I'll not be happy," he told himself, "til I know she's truly mine."

As for Nell, her duties now were lighter, her days nigh free of care,
Maiding is less work than sailing, and yards more fraught than hair.
But Nelly found herself both lonesome for the open sea,
And worried about the new person she saw herself come to be.

She liked being warm and safe, at home in Baltimore's civil air
She liked the softer living, though she missed the ocean's dare.
And she loved the soft clothing that as a lady’s maid she wore,
But Nell could be seen, often, standing on the strand of Baltimore.

She watched the ship’s in their lading and tracked each dory and tender,
And the sailors watched our Nelly for they never doubted her gender.
Poor Jake Peake grew jealous, as green as the water in Delaware Bay,
And he promised himself to make Nell his bride, one fine Baltimore day.
 

The twelvemonth neared its ending, and Nelly was torn in twain.
She loved the sea, but couldn’t deny, ‘twas she that had been changed.
“I’ll never reef or steer again with these hands so soft and womanish,
But if I can’t go to sea, I’ll cast myself in to be eaten by the bottom fish!”

Now Molly had watched the strange she-change of Neddy into Nell.
And her heart rejoiced for love of her friend and she saw as clear as a bell
The path to Nelly’s contentment, the satisfaction of her love of the ocean
Because she hadn’t been blind to her father’s hopes or deaf to his devotion.

“Marry my father,” she told Nell, “then you can have your ship and serve her,
I’m sure that Jake Peake would let his wife become her own ship’s purser.”
And to her father she said, “You know, da, the time has come, tis now or never,
The twelvemonth’s up, beg Nelly for your wife, and sail your ship together.”

So Nelly Pine became Nelly Peake on the strand of Baltimore
And Jacob swore to love and cherish her alone, forevermore.
They bought back the brigantine Mary Deare and sailed for Bristol Sound
With a cargo of tobacco, timber and tar worth many a silver crown.
 

Nelly served as purser, keeping the books for her ship, and ships,
Her hands would always be soft lady’s hands, as soft as her lips.
Jacob was once again Captain Peake, master of the Mary Deare,
Happy Nelly had the sea she loved and Jacob had his Nelly near.

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hrm

Dastardly Captain Peake never intended to keep his word. Ah well, I guess it worked out...

Hmmm

erin's picture

He kept his word. He may be the Captain, but it's her ship.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Age

Ned started out the story somewhere between fourteen and fifteen, and spent a year as a maid and then got married at the age of fifteen or sixteen. Was it usual to be wed so young in 1769?

Yes

erin's picture

Quite common. People didn't live as long, it was necessary to get on with life and being a grown-up instead of spending more years as a child. And at fourteen, Ned already had a professional career; he'd probably been a cabin boy for five or six years.

An unmarried woman in her twenties was considered a spinster in much of Europe. America did already have a slight tradition for longer childhoods, though. Who wanted to marry kids off when they were just beginning to be useful? The average age at first marriage in England was probably sixteen or seventeen for women, a year or so older in America.

In England, the upper classes actually married women off earlier, on average, than the common people. Complex reasons for that but the main one was younger women are more fertile and protecting inheritances by providing heirs in a day of huge infant mortalities meant maximizing the number of babies produced.

Which meant that the upper classes used wet nurses so that mothers recovered their fertility faster. An upper class wife was expected to have a child every year or so, pumping out babies until her health failed and she died early so her husband could remarry and get a new, fertile wife. Unless of course, he had died of war, disease or accident. In which case, if she were still fertile, she was expected to remarry and make more babies.

Two or three years between children was more common among the lower classes, so the women lived longer and widows outnumbered widowers.

It was pretty deadly for everyone by our standards today. When medical researchers reckon lifespans, they don't average in babies who died before the age of 1, even today. That's a separate statistic called infant mortality.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Brilliant Erin!

I loved it, so well crafted and a sweet little tale.

Thanks,

Hugs,

Alys

Ages

In the 18th century Royal Navy ship's boys and powder monkeys could be as young as 10 yrs old, in merchant ships they could be even younger. Midshipmen started at the age of 12 and were expected to command grown men often with years of sailing experience behind them. As far as the age of marriage was concerned, you have to remember that many more female children survived to adulthood than male and for the female poor there weren't too many career opportunities. Most families had a lot of children, because so few survived to adulthood, but there was a need for these children to bring in money as soon as possible or move away to reduce the financial burden on the family, with the limited choices available to illiterate poor girls, marriage was often the best of a bad lot. Thus some girls might be expected to stay at home to help mum, but others would have to go; the choice was a stark one between starving because of inadequate income or going into service, working at a laundry or one of the early factories, prostitution or marriage and this could be as early as 13! There was no minimum age for marriage. In America (before or after independence, makes no difference) if there was such a law it wouldn't have mattered for many the law was just a distant myth so marrying off of young girls was simply a matter of economic necessity, the only age that was important was whether she was of child bearing years. It was a harsh world and women had few if any rights.
Enjoyable tale, Erin, I just loved it,
Love and cuddles,
Janice Elizabeth

Quite A Cute Little Ballad Erin :-)

I found it to be quite fun and entertaining. Thanks for the Ballad, it brightened my day.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine