Yellow the Leaves of the Rowan

Printer-friendly version

Yellow the Leaves of the Rowan

~ A Love Story ~

AUTUMN is over the long leaves that love us,
And over the mice in the barley sheaves;
Yellow the leaves of the rowan above us,
And yellow the wet wild-strawberry leaves.

The hour of the waning of love has beset us,
And weary and worn are our sad souls now;
Let us part, ere the season of passion forget us,
With a kiss and a tear on thy drooping brow.

The Falling of the Leaves ~ W. B. Yeats.

It was the way she walked. Of all the women that I have known, none moved quite like her. As if she were walking out through a doorway to greet the morning. A sort of rejoicing in her step.

Even from the back I knew. Even after ....

Even after .... How long was it? Eighteen years and more. Eighteen years, nine months, eight days, three hours for those who like to be exact.

Eighteen years of regret. Of reliving the moment. Of wishing it were otherwise. Until the pain was too great.

And now there she was. About ten paces in front of me. A slim figure, dark hair falling onto her shoulders. Dark hair whose caress had once played across my face. Dark hair into which I had once breathed, lost in the intoxication of the perfumed mystery of her femininity.

I had been twenty then. When I had first glimpsed her. As now, walking in front of me down a shadow dappled street. And I think I may have known then. Known that nothing would ever be the same again. That that moment would for ever define for me perfection. A perfection that I would for ever seek to replicate. Seek to find again the movement of cool shadow on pale stone, on bare shoulders; the shifting light that makes magical an ordinary street where a boy and a girl meet.

And there was a happy ending. Just for a short time. Just for that summer.

I met her again a few days later. We had mutual friends. She was a fellow student. It was almost inevitable. And in those sun kissed days of summer we fell in love, deeply, deeply, in love. Oblivious to all else, to all others.

Then the present and the future, our present and future, merged into one. It seemed inconceivable that it should not be so. We were meant for each other. All our friends said so. Envied us. We knew it. With a certainty that brooked no questioning. How could it be otherwise? I have never before or since opened my soul to anyone as I did then. We had but one soul in truth. Revelled in the delight of sharing. Each thought struck a chord with the other; found an answering echo, a confirmation, sparked a further exploration, a refining and conclusion.

When term finished it was natural that we went away together. I was even then a loner with no strong family ties. But she had parents. Loving, conventional parents whom she deserted that summer to be with me. We went on holiday together. To Ireland. In the mutual opening of our minds we had discovered a romantic appreciation for Yeats' poetry. So we went there. First to Dublin and then west to Clare and the coast.

We stood hand in hand on the Cliffs of Moher. Gazed out across the Atlantic. Watched the puffins and choughs wheel below us, skimming the white flecked green of the sea far below us. Lay amidst the springy turf amongst the grey seal backed rocks and watched the clouds scud over us, sweeping in from the west, from over the Atlantic, their shadows echoing on a larger, wilder, scale those of that dappled street where it had all begun.

And then we turned North, towards the twelve pins of Connemara. Through Oughterard, and on to Clifden and beyond, again searching the sea. And on some silver sanded beach we made love. For the first time. Without words. Because in the truest sense it was a consummation of all that we were. One to the other. Why we had not done it before I do not know. There were plenty of opportunities. All our friends did. Perhaps we were naive. I do not know. Only that for us we had been so complete in ourselves that it seemed irrelevant, unnecessary. Until then. Until that nameless deserted beach. Until then when it seemed that it was right.

Finally to Sligo. To the "Land of Heart's Desire." Although in truth our land of heart's desire was within us. That we had already found. Already were. So we went to the little churchyard in Drumcliff and left wild flowers on his, Yeats', grave. Together, holding hands, we knelt and thanked him for the pleasure, he had given us. For the wonders he had revealed.

I have said that we were as one. That we had but one soul. But of course it was not true. I lied to myself. To her. There is perhaps always something, always a serpent in the darkest shadows. With me it was something that I dare not tell her lest it spoil our paradise. Lest I be banished from our Eden.

I had tried. God how I had tried. On that beach where we first made love. Afterwards, lying there in the completeness that we had found, I had turned to her trying to find the words that would clear for ever the final barrier. And she had smiled at me and laid a silver sanded finger on my lips.

"Not now. No words now. We don't need words now."

And in my cowardice I had acquiesced.

Had smiled back, lost in the beauty of her.

"No. No need for words."

Had smiled back. Had not wished to spoil it. Had thought there would be a next time. A better time to tell. A next time.

But there never was. I was never brave enough. Never dared risk breaking the spell. Would never put her love to the test. Never believed enough in our love perhaps.

And finally, and to my shame, preferred to leave our Eden rather than risk it being only perhaps an impossible dream.

We parted at the airport. Bags at our feet. Just a gentle kiss.

"Only a week," she had said. "But I shall miss you so. But only a week and then .... I shall write every day. Promise you will too ...."

And I had promised.

But I never did. Never saw the letters she must have written. Never did go back to University.

I had fled West. Over the white flecked Atlantic seas. Too high this time to see the puffins and the choughs. Seeing nothing. Feeling nothing. Just a great sickening emptiness within me.

Because I had not told her. Had had not enough faith in our love.

And afterwards I had never stopped travelling. Never again finding peace. Always pursued by the demons of my own failings, of my own rejection of happiness.

Always nothing but the ache of emptiness within me.

Never again able to read Yeats without the tears coursing down my cheeks and emotion welling up in my throat shortening my breath.

'Autumn is over the long leaves that love us.' She had known it by heart. Relished its sweet melancholy. "So deliciously sad", she had said. "The poor darlings. Our love could never wane like that."

And in that she was right. That love burns as fiercely as ever. For me anyway. No waning of love. Not for me. Just a terrible yearning that tears at the heart.

And now there she was. In front of me. Eighteen years later.

And suddenly she turned. There she was ten paces away. The years had been kind to her. Her beauty undiminished by the eighteen long years. And the radiance of her smile too ....

My heart lurched, soared again as her smile lit up the world as it had all those years ago. And the years fell away as she moved towards me, her hands coming up in greeting, coming up preparatory to a fond embrace. Six .... four .... two steps ....

And she swept passed me, and I, turning, saw her go into the welcoming arms of a young girl. A young girl just as she had been all those years before. About eighteen, with dark hair falling on to her shoulders. I could see over her shoulder the girl's face smiling in greeting. Could hear her voice.

It was like a double image .... and it tore my heart. There was, could be, no possible doubt. The likeness was uncanny.

Her daughter looking just as she had been all those years before. And I could not move. Could not speak.

I took a step towards them. Wanting to cry out. To tell them. To ....

But I could not.

Because I had already wronged them enough. Or perhaps because I dare not. Did not want them to see. So I turned away. And walked on down that sun dappled street with the tears running down my face. Running down my face, streaking my mascara. Rivulets of tears that coursed down over powdered cheeks, that I tasted on the lipstick in the corners of my mouth, as I blindly fumbled in my handbag for a handkerchief to dab them away.

Running away as I had once before run away. The click click of my heels echoing in the now empty street.

Echoing, click click, in the emptiness of my life.

up
64 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This tears at my very soul

As usual, when you write, I sometimes feel ripped asunder. My thin veneer of normalicy gets swept away.

I really have to fight depression with purpose; volunteering a lot and caring for others in any way I can. I get constant complements about what a beautiful and loving woman I am.

Sometimes I get too tired or not mindful enough to monitor what is going on in my own head. I have to be careful not to allow that to go too far.

I love your writing

Gwendolyn

Fleurie, Yellow the Leaves of the Rowan

Is A beautiful Bitter sweet tale of the main characters regret for the road not taken. Will you continue this story? It has a lot of potential.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I could imagine

myself with them every step of the way in this sad tale of love and regret. Beautifully written and evocative of the barren beauty of North-West Ireland, I was captivated by the atmosphere.

I knew that there had to be a TG element but its inclusion in just the last few lines was inspired.

Susie

The other road

As most of us know, to have divulged the secret would probably have ended the relationship.

Masterfully

well done. This redefines bittersweet love. It leaves a lump in my throat!
hugs!
grover

What To Say?

joannebarbarella's picture

Ah, Fleurie, beautifully written as usual. In a way, I suppose I guessed the end, but missed the appearance of the girl who must surely have been his/her daughter. And the question marks hang in the air. The forks in the roads that might have been. Perhaps this was the best possible outcome,
Truly Romantic,
Joanne

Yellow leaves indeed

Just brilliant.

Thank you dear.

Beautiful

Beautiful story and superbly written. Sheer condensed emotion.

ah Fleurie

kristina l s's picture

Absolutely lovely echoing as it does places many of us have walked. The quiet inertia that can and does hold many of us and of course the questions at the end, the buts and what if's. An, oh...damn and a quiet tear at choices and pain.

Beautifully done.

Kristina

Thanks .....

.... For all the comments. I am glad it worked for you. I got quite emotional myself :)

Looking back at it I can see rough edges but I wrote it quickly and I somehow felt that in its raw state it might have more intensity, more immediacy, than if I revised and polished it.

Thanks again for all your kind comments and encouragement.

Hugs,

Fleurie Fleurie

Fleurie

Touching

Very nice, Fleurie. You set it up well, and the ending was astoundingly effective. It had a, if I remember the term correctly, a Byronic feel to it. The main character walks away to an exile, a sort of private hell of his/her own making.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Wow!

Wow, that was really a well written story! It was sad, but quite well written. This story shows even when TG is successful, it can remain a curse.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

You're So Right

joannebarbarella's picture

Fleurie, I read your small complaint about "Yellow The Leaves Of The Rowan" being your least read story and couldn't believe it, so I came back and reread this marvellous piece and can honestly say it has lost none of its magic. It is still brilliant.

Amazing that there have not been more hits and that the vote total was relatively low too. Now I have voted again, since more than forty days have passed, and obviously I'm commenting again (pour encourager les autres). A consolation perhaps is that the quality of the earlier comments was excellent and came from some of the more discerning contributors to this site, yet I agree that there is no accounting for the lack of general reader interest.

Ain't it funny how an author has a personal favourite that may be completely at odds with the public taste. I can see why this is yours, but while I hate to rank your stories (because they are all so good), for me "An Eft In Her Bra" just barely pips this one.

I have one complaint. You should write more!

Joanne

There's always time....

Andrea Lena's picture

...for love. I was so disappointed that she didn't run after them. What the years robbed might have been restored, but she was unable. This was such a bittersweet story; I wished it wouldn't end and yet I was glad when it finished because it hurt so much to remember my own regrets and sadness. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

An unexpected pleasure ....

Thanks for the kind comment Andrea. Particularly for a tale long since consigned to the dark recesses of history. It makes it doubly appreciated.

Funny how readers who arrive late to a story never, well hardly ever, leave a comment. It must be that in the public's imagination authors are like swans who only sing before they die. And who wastes comments on the dead?

So it is so nice to receive one. Actually this tale, which remains alas little read, also had one from Joanne earlier in the year. So I am doubly pleased.

I even re-read it myself. And cried a little. :)

Hugs,

Fleurie Fleurie

Fleurie

I just wish

She heard a voice from behind, asking her if anything was wrong...

It's too sad. I hope if I ever had a similar situation, I would have asked. Because not knowing is a worse torment.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!