A New Style of Education - Part 40

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education

by Karen Page


Part 40

I had pictures in my head of Willy Wonka's chocolate factory from the Tim Burton film; this was nothing like it. There was no chocolate river and certainly no edible grass inside. The smell though was something else. The fragrance of warm, sweet chocolate hung in the air as we entered the visitor attraction. We'd already been warned that we would only see the packaging part of the factory, and not any of the secret production areas.

As with any place like this, there always had to be some educational element, which in this case started with the history of chocolate. They even had a small liquid sample of how it used to be made as a drink.

"That was disgusting," Helen gagged, after taking a sip.

"It can't be that bad, surely," said Erika, before she took a small taste. "I take that back," she said holding her hand over her mouth and going slightly green.

I just smiled and avoided the offered sample. I'm sure that Helen will tell me that I'd missed out on a life experience. Yeah right.

"Would you like some chocolate?" a young woman asked as we moved on. She was wearing a Cadbury World uniform, so I presumed it was safe.

"It doesn't taste like that other sample, does it?" Brian asked rather sourly. It sounded like he wished he'd resisted earlier.

"No," she laughed. "This is our regular stuff."

"Okay," we responded eagerly and took the free bars.

"Hey, you shouldn't have it," said Melissa. "You don't have a nasty taste to get out of your mouth."

"True," I agreed, quickly taking a bite. "But I'm hungry. Doesn't that count?"

The tour was great, and quite an eye opener. Prior to going on the tour, I hadn't any idea how they made chocolate, now I knew some. They kept us supplied with chocolate as we went round and after we'd finished the tour, we didn't feel like having any lunch.

"So Erika, did you enjoy it?" asked Melissa, as we made our way back to the coach. After all, it was Erika who so much wanted this trip.

"I could have stayed there all day." Erika sighed with happiness. "When we moved back to the states, I never thought I would get to see it. I know it isn't quite Christmas, but to me this is the best present I've ever received. That warm fresh chocolate we got to sample at the end, wow."

"Do you miss living in England?" asked Martha.

"A bit. Life was certainly a simpler back then. I don't know, but I'm sure things would have gotten complicated even if I'd stayed in England."

"Why?"

"I'd started to learn about myself and what I wanted. Also, my Dad's job changing has had a big impact."

"Did you have to join the school?" I wondered out loud.

"No, I was back in a normal school and took the tests like everyone else. Dad was horrified when I got asked for the interview. It seems Ellen had to have a long talk with him to explain that personal involvement by him wasn't allowed. Now I understand why he was so upset about me joining." Erika seemed a bit down as she talked about her dad.

"Didn't your mum know?" Helen asked.

"It seems that he keeps what happens at the school to himself. Heck, I don't think she knows that she will never see me again."

I saw a solitary tear gently trickled down her left cheek. It looked like Martha was the only other person that noticed, and she mouthed, "I love you," to her partner.

It was the middle of the afternoon when we got back home, just in time for orchestra practice. We only had thirteen days before we set off for Moscow and our practices had been increased to twice a day, morning and afternoon.

"Did you have a good time at Cadbury World?" Brenda asked, as I drained my French horn of accumulated moisture.

"Yeah, it was great, but if you go, stay away from the sample of chocolate they have at the start of the tour. It is supposed to be how chocolate used to taste; it's bitter, and not nice."

"Thanks, I'll remember that," she said. "What about the rest?"

"Interesting, educational and lots of chocolate to munch on as we went round."

"Sounds like a place to visit," agreed Brenda. "Especially if you get lots of chocolate to eat."

"So what do you have in mind for freeing my inhibitions?" I queried, thinking back to her promise from the previous night.

"Sorry, but you will have to wait until after the trip; Rachel insisted. She said she didn't want to risk you getting upset so close to the trip. Afterwards we can have some fun, but Rachel will want to see you frequently to make sure you're okay."

"Oh joy," I moaned. "Seeing Rachel 'frequently' is just what I want."

"Haven't you got an appointment with her later to discuss if you go to Moscow as David or Jayne?"

"That's in the morning," I said with relief. "Tonight I'm going to relax and put my feet up. I'm wacked."

"Oh," Stacy said from behind me. I jumped slightly, as I hadn't heard her wander up.

"Oh?" I said, frowning slightly. "Is that an oh, that I'm not going to relax tonight?"

"You can if you want."

"But?"

"June will be here later. I could try and get her to come another day."

"Do you know if she will have set off already?" I queried.

"Probably."

"Then I will be there," I said without hesitation. "I can relax afterwards."

"I'll organise a room," Stacy said. "When I know when she will be here, I'll let you know."

"Okay." I nodded, as Helen wandered up.

"Are you going to be okay with that?" asked Brenda, all serious.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I said, giving her a thankful smile.

"Is all okay?" Helen asked as we went towards our year room.

"Yeah, I thought I was going to be able to relax later, but it seems June is coming."

"That shouldn't be too bad, should it?"

"I hope not," I said, putting on a smile as we walked into the year room.

"So, did you enjoy your trip?" asked Becky as we waited for year B to arrive for the evening meal. For some reason they were running late.

"Yes, it was great," we chorused.

"Ah, so none of you tried the ancient chocolate then," she smiled. She started to laugh as our faces fell in horror of the thought of the rather bitter tasting chocolate. No wonder modern chocolate has a lot of sugar in it.

Year B arrived, slightly breathlessly, which disturbed our immediate discussion. Once they were settled, Mr Hobson rose.

"Now that the Black Sheep have arrived, I would like to say a few words about the next few weeks. I got chance to hear today's practice, and even to my untrained ear you are sounding great. Therefore, we will be having something a little different planned for Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. For Christmas Eve there will be some outside carol singing, which for the sake of the audience can be in English. I think Hayfield Hall has a little catching up to do get somewhere close to the quality of Immigration Manor, so morning practice will be singing and afternoon will be orchestra practice."

Mr Hobson stopped to take a sip of water. "For Boxing Day, which for our American friends is the day after Christmas Day, we will be doing a special show. You are to perform something lasting no more than twenty minutes. This can be singing, dancing, music, a play or whatever performance you can imagine. You can do this as a team or as an individual. We've not done this for a few years now. Last time we did this, one group of students did Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. They even dressed so much like them that I thought someone has snuck in the real thing. In hindsight, I should have known better as Freddie Mercury had been dead ten years."

A gentle ripple of laughter flowed around the room, and a few excited conversations started, trying to come up with some ideas of what we could do. An idea started forming in my mind which I knew I'd want to mention to Helen. After all, she might have a better idea than mine.

"Okay, one last thing, Christmas Day. Traditionally we have only had two services, the midnight service and one at ten. However, since this year we have several different religious followings, there will be several different services at different times and places. These details should be available from the twenty-third. Please be aware that there are others here that don't celebrate Christmas, so please be tolerant of that. Any questions? ... No, then enjoy your meal."

As we ate, Emma pondered, "Mr Hobson referred to year B as the Black Sheep; it didn't sound like he was putting them down, but a rather affectionate name."

"Mr Peterson first used it last year, a few months after they started at the Manor," explained Randall. "When Mr Moore took over, the name sort of stuck. It's from some television series."

"Baa Baa Black Sheep?" queried Anna, putting down her PDA.

"Cheat," came the chorus from the table. Anna just shrugged and laughed.

"It seems there is a film with the same name on the list," I said, referring to the film list. "What do you think?"

"It sounds like a nursery rhyme," chortled Helen.

Ken leaned back and passed the message to the second of our year tables. It was agreed, so I grabbed my PDA to arrange for the movie to show in our year room for half-seven. I just hoped that this gave me enough time to sort out the Matilda issue.

"It isn't a film, but a pilot," said Randall.

"So, what is next on your field trip list?" asked Becky as we munched away on our scrumptious food

"We have to do the castle," said Wesley.

"Nah, a theme park," put in Emma

Soon the whole year rhymed off their suggestions. I still think going to a beach in the middle of winter was a mad idea. I think Melissa and Aaron need to keep an eye on Elaine.

As the meal ended, Mr Hobson rose and the room fell silent. "It has come to my attention that the Black Sheep reference has caused many years to want to watch the pilot to the series Baa Baa Black Sheep. Since so many are interested, I will organise it to be shown tonight in our cinema. With our guests, things will probably be slightly cosier than normal. The showing will be starting at about eight, so anybody with a curfew at ten will automatically have it extended."

As we filed out of the dining room, I turned to the others in our year, "Sorry, but I've got a meeting about a Munchkin, so I'll be there a bit later. I just hope I'm in time for the entertainment."

"Don't worry," said Wesley, a twinkle in his eye. "We won't let them start without you."

"Is she in trouble?" asked Carolyn, one of the quieter members of the Manor mob.

"No, just trying to arrange something a bit special for her," I replied, not wanting to give too much away.

"Just make sure it's nice," said Melissa. "She is one special girl."

"Plus, she's great as she never lets anything get in her way," added Tina.

"And she knows more Star Trek quotes than anyone here," piled on Philip.

"Sorry?" queried Wesley indignantly.

"Well, almost anybody," laughed Philip. "You've been so good this trip, I almost forgot you."

I wandered off to the room where my PDA indicated I was to meet June. I still didn't know much about her, apart from that she was the previous Beta One, last year's head student, and the person who had taught Matilda and me more than we ever wanted to know about computers.

"Hey, Jayne," June said, as I tentatively opened the door. "Come on in, shut the door and relax a bit. I'm not going to eat you."

"You look a lot neater than the last time I saw you," I said nervously, sitting down.

"Well that's not a surprise. I was doing some building work at the time," she laughed. She had a nice gentle laugh that immediately put me at ease. "So, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"I believe you might have helped train a young person in America who goes by the name of Matilda."

"I don't know a Matilda," June frowned. "Are you sure it was me?"

"At the time she was called," I took out my PDA and pulled up the relevant page. "Matthias or Matt."

"Oh yes," she said, her eye flashing with recognition. "Matt never told me he was transgendered and had a female name. Throughout all our time online, she never really talked about herself too much, apart from being bullied at school and someone special to her, called Mary Beth."

"Mary Beth was Matilda's friend and protector at school, and unusually got to be her partner at The Manor."

"Study Partner you mean," quickly injected June.

"I know what I said," I responded, quoting Mr Hobson.

June must have recognised it as something Mr Hobson would have said, as her eyes smiled as if she were remembering her time at the school.

"Anything else about Matilda?"

"Her younger sister is also a member of the school, and her mother is one of Immigration Manors general therapy team. Matilda had a minor breakdown about a week ago, regarding missing her mother. Finally, you taught Matilda too well. It seems she has bypassed most of Immigration Manor's security systems and knows the full details about a lot of things she shouldn't. She certainly knew who our Beta team members are."

"She sounds like quite a handful," murmured June. "So, why did you drag me down here?"

"Sorry, I didn't know you were far away. I thought since she was here, and since she already knew most of the details, it would help for her to meet you. I suppose, rather like Stacy introduced you to me."

"That isn't just it, is it?" she said, suddenly leaning towards me, her face not far from mine.

"No, it isn't," I said, trying not to show my alarm at June's sudden motion. "Matilda has many strengths, I think her two strongest are probably her inner strength and her ability to be discreet. However, she seems to have a few issues, such as her height and her inquisitiveness, which needs to be channelled."

"Wow, that’s a great word, inquisitiveness. Have you swallowed a dictionary since joining the school?"

"Nah, I'm just in an environment where I can study and not be afraid that someone will attack me for it."

"I presume you would like me to straighten Matilda out? Come up with some type of evil punishment that the school couldn't possibly do?"

"Er, no," I said, my mind boggling to understand where June was coming from. "I hope you were just joking then. I just thought it would be good for Matilda to meet you, and find out firsthand what she is letting herself in for. Also, you aren't much taller than Matilda, and it might help her self confidence if she could see that being small isn't going to cause an issue."

"Off course I was joking, but seeing your face was well worth it. Let me see how good Matilda is with her own security, instead of hacking others," said June, pulling out a PDA. I got a small glimpse of the screen and smiled to see it was a slightly more advanced version of the ones we'd just purchased and were the ones we weren't allowed to see that Mr Burns had been hiding.

"Still seeing Mr Burns, I see. I think he has been holding out on us."

"Not really. These don't have much more, and are mostly things you wouldn't need, being at school." She fished in her bag and pulled out a rollup keyboard. "This is much quicker for hacking," she laughed while tapping away.

I sat quietly as she tapped away. She muttered a few times, but it wasn't long before she grinned and rolled up her keyboard. "That girl is good at hacking, but she needs to learn a bit about self protection. She probably knows the PDA isn't totally secure, as it looks like she frequently offloads it and purges the contents. That is something you don’t' do, but probably should."

"Very true," I smiled, "but I'm still learning and I don't put anything worthwhile on the PDA."

"You have a suspect list for the leak on there," June pointed out.

Damn, she did have a look around earlier.

I didn't have chance to defend myself as there was a knock on the door. "That's Matilda," I said, having heard her knock a few times.

I got up and opened the door to reveal a rather upset girl.

"What do you think you're doing?" she stormed.

"Not me," I said, standing back. "Matilda, please meet June. June, this is Matilda."

Matilda walked into the room, and I shut the door behind her. "June used to have the handle of hhb401. Prior to that it was hhb303."

Matilda suddenly caught her breath. "It was you that taught me computer systems and networks?" Matilda sounded surprised.

"Yes, it was. I was the student computer expert here for the last few years. Last year I was Hayfield's Beta One, which I'm led to believe you understand. Sorry if I upset you with the way I asked you to come down here, but you need to learn how to protect yourself better than you do."

"Yes, Miss."

"Is that all you can say? I heard you were sharper than that."

Matilda was silent for a few more seconds before asking, "Why you? I mean, why would you have been teaching me instead of someone from The Manor?"

"Probably because at the time I was better than anybody they had over there. It wouldn't have been fair on RJ for him to teach you, and quite frankly, the student expert at The Manor at that time still had a way to go."

I sat there, waiting for the penny to drop, which it didn't take long. "You were training me two years ago, which was before I'd even gone to The Manor. How did you know I was going to be accepted there, or even want to go?"

"Ah, something you didn't find on Joshua. If you would be accepted there wasn't in question. Before I was asked to train you, you had already been screened, and deemed appropriate for the school. At the time, a study partner for you hadn't been selected. They were in that process when the arrangements were made for you to take the girl lessons. The testing you took at that time showed you to be exceptionally intelligent, so when you tried to kill yourself, the school put you into that year, instead of waiting to have you join the following June. According to Mr Moore, you haven't shown them to be mistaken in their judgment."

I gave June a stare. She knew exactly who Matilda was before she'd asked me. It didn't make sense unless — "June, are you testing me?" I queried, while Matilda pondered what she'd just been told.

"Not really, just trying to work you out and give you a little payback for Mr Taylor."

"So what did you want to see me about?" asked Matilda. "It wasn't just to say 'Hi' was it?"

"Partly. I thought it would be nice to meet you, as I'd spent quite some time online with you and wanted to meet you in person. Since you seem to have learnt a lot, I thought it would be nice for you to get to know more without finding it out second hand. To that end, I thought it would be nice if we could go out for the day."

"But what about choir practice?" Matilda queried.

"Oh that was just lame," tutted June. "You have to do much better than that. Don't you want to go out and have a bit of fun?"

"Fun?"

"Sure, just because I've finished school doesn't mean I don't know how to have a good time. Anyway, when I was your age, I'd have loved to skive off for the day."

"Skive?"

"Bunk off school. Miss classes. Get out of school without teachers, etc. So, are you up for it?"

"What would we be doing?" Matilda asked nervously.

"I've got two things in mind, which I want it to be a surprise. The first one shouldn't be a problem and might be in the next few days. The second won't be until after Christmas and I've got to make sure there is room. Let's just say that it is a bit of an adventure. "

"As long as Mr Moore agrees to it, then okay," Matilda reluctantly agreed. "Can MayBee come too?"

"MayBee?"

"Mary Beth."

"I'd rather it just be the two of us. I think we will both get more out of it. Now, tell me more about The Manor. I've never been there, but hear it's a great place."

Matilda seemed to relax a bit as she talked about what had become her home. As she talked about things, I thought it would be nice if our school could visit America at some stage.

My PDA beeped, reminding me it was nearly the time the film was due to be shown.

"Off you go," said June. "I know you have a film this evening and you certainly don't want to miss that. Matilda, I'll let you know when I have the details of our few days of fun."

When we'd left the room and the door had shut behind us, Matilda looked at me and said, "What have you got me into?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm trying to live a quiet life, you know, staying out of trouble. Trouble seems to follow me enough without anyone's help, and now you've got me going out on special trips with June."

"And?"

"Well ... she might be a psychopath or something."

"She might, but I doubt the school would have her doing what she does, if she was."

"But why tell me what she did? Why want to tell me more things?"

"Because sometimes it's better to know the truth than stumble across it by accident and jump to the wrong conclusion. I'm sure you already know a lot, but maybe not the reasons why. June only hinted at things today, but it sounds like you will know more than me soon."

"Are you going to tell Helen about all of this?"

"Of course, remember, no secrets."

"Don't I know it," Matilda grimaced, before suddenly smiling and rushing off towards the cinema.

That girl will be the death of me. I didn't want to miss the start of the film, so I rushed after Matilda.

* * *

"Okay Jayne," started Helen when we'd got to our rooms that night. It had been a good job that Mr Hobson had extended everyone's curfew, as it was nearly eleven. "What idea did you have for this show on Boxing Day?"

"It was a passing thought," I replied, suddenly unsure if we'd be able to pull it off. Well, me, really. I'd no doubt that Helen wouldn't have any trouble. "Do you have any ideas?"

"Not really. I'd not really had a think; I was relying on your idea."

"Lazy thing," I said, lightly tapping her on the arm. All she did in return was stick her tongue out at me.

"So?" she pressed, giving me a stare that meant I'd better tell her all, or else.

I certainly didn't want a sulky Helen, so quickly gave in and told her. As I explained, her eyes grew wide in surprise and delight.

"You want to do what?" she exclaimed, hardly believing what I'd told her.

"You don't like it then?" I said, slightly upset. I knew I shouldn't have said anything.

"No, it's just a surprise, that's all."

"I remember you saying a few years back how you'd done something similar, and really loved it. Would you be able to teach me in time?"

"No way," Helen said, violently shaking her head. "Perhaps Rachel will know if there is anybody here who can help. That's if you really want to."

I send a very short message to Rachel, asking her if she knew anybody who could give me the lessons I needed. I wanted the rest a surprise. I didn't expect a response until the morning, but in under a minute my phone was ringing.

"Hi Jayne," said Rachel. "I just got your message. Is this for the revue on Boxing Day?"

"Yes."

"I thought so, as it seemed a bit unusual. What do you plan to do, so I can look to see if anybody can help?"

I felt a bit sad that I would have to explain, but I suppose it made sense that I'd need to explain a bit. I told her what I'd told Helen.

"You want to do what?" exclaimed Rachel, sounding surprised.

"Don't you think it will be okay?" I asked worriedly.

"No, it will fit in with what Mr Hobson said," reassured Rachel. "It's just I don't think anybody has done anything like it before."

"Ah, then will you keep the details to yourself?"

"Of course. Have you asked anybody else yet?"

"No, not yet. I wanted to see if it was going to be possible, first."

"Okay, I'll let you know sometime tomorrow morning."

"Well?" Helen asked as I put down my PDA.

"She says she will look into it and will let us know sometime tomorrow morning. She seemed a bit surprised. Do you think this is a good idea?"

Helen sat there for a moment and eventually answered, "Yes. Yes, I do. It'll be something different and it will be nice for you to learn. I just hope you enjoy it as much as me! Now, why don't you find that film you saw it in, and let's see how hard it is."

I pulled up the film list, but when I tried to select it, it wouldn't let me. After a few attempts I noticed that it was a fifteen, so the system blocked us from seeing it, because we were under age.

"I'll have a word with Rachel tomorrow," said Helen. "I'm not sure if that will help though, as we are too young. Perhaps she will be able to just allow me to see the clip."

* * *

"What's wrong?" queried Jill, during breakfast.

"What do you mean?" Helen asked.

"You two keep checking your PDA's every minute. They do ting if you get a message, you know."

"We're waiting to see if we can go ahead with an idea for the Boxing Day performance," I explained.

"Permission?" queried Melissa. "I thought we could do what we wanted, as long as it was a performance."

"Oh, ours is a performance alright," I laughed. "However, I might need some special training if we're going to pull it off."

"Training?" they all asked at once. You could see they were all wondering what we were planning to do.

"Yes, training," said Helen. "And until we know if it is going to work, we aren't saying anything. So, has anybody else had any ideas for what they're going to do?"

"Can people be in several?" Anna asked.

"I hope so," said Erika. "Martha has been asked by so many people to do piano or organ. I'm not sure if she could do any more."

I looked across at Helen. She noticed and patted my knee. We'd been hoping to use Martha as the pianist in our thing. Oh well, it looks like we'd have to ask our star pianist from year two. Being a horn player, so far I hadn't been roped into playing in too many others works. Helen was equally blessed.

Just before lunch, while practicing alone in one of the soundproof practice rooms, my PDA pinged. My playing masked the sound of it arriving, and I hadn't put it on vibrate, so I didn't feel it. Since the PDA wasn't in discrete mode, after ten minutes it played my ringtone and vibrated, giving me a huge shock. These devices were nothing if not persistent. When I read the message, I quickly put my French horn away and reluctantly went to see Rachel, as the message instructed.

The discussion I'd had after breakfast with Rachel wasn't something I wanted to think about and I was still feeling rather sore with her for putting me through that. Now she wanted to see me again. I suspected it was to do with the revue, but I was worried that she might want to bring up my insistence that I go to Russia as Jayne.

"Ah, good of you to join us," said Rachel, as she let me into her office. Helen, who was already there, patted the settee next to her. I felt somewhat safer with Helen in the same room.

"Sorry I'm late. I was practicing and didn't hear the message come through."

"Don't worry," reassured Rachel, with a mischievous smile. "Helen and I had a very interesting conversation while we waited."

I wasn't sure I was very pleased with Rachel's smile. I wonder if they'd been discussing me.

"So, can we?" I asked, referring to the revue. I thought it best to start the subject and then it wouldn't start with reviewing the trip to Russia.

"Yes. Kelly and Simon should be able to help."

I glanced at Helen. She had the same look of surprise on her face, that I'm sure was on mine. She noticed my glance and we both sniggered. Mr Prim and Proper for this? It was like trying to imagine ... My thoughts trailed off. I couldn't imagine anything as improbable.

"Hey, no dissing the helpers," admonished Rachel. "Now they both will be here at two. The location will be sent to you when I've booked the room. Jayne, you are allowed to be David for the rehearsal, but you must change back afterwards. Are you both okay with that?"

We both nodded in agreement.

"Okay, since it is agreed, all you have to do is persuade others to join your revue. I look forward to seeing it. It sounds fun, and from what I've heard about the previous revues, rather unique."

We left Rachel's office, and as the door closed behind us. I felt relieved that Rachel hadn't discussed the Russian trip, but that relief was quickly replaced when the full impact of the revue hit me. "Helen, do you really think we can pull this off?"

"It's a bit late for that now, isn't it? Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't have agreed to your mad idea if I didn't think it would work. Who do you think we should ask?"

"I was going to ask Martha to play the piano, but got put off by Erika's comment at breakfast. Do you think Sophia would agree?"

"I suppose it depends how many have asked," considered Helen. "Violins, I suppose we could ask Sam and Jessica. Do you know any accordion players?"

"No, but Mrs Russell probably will. I'll ask her after lunch. What about Double Bass? Pru?"

"Yeah, keep it in year one and two then."

"As long as they have an accordion player."

"Could we do it without?"

"I suppose so. There are lots of different arrangements. I was just using the one I'd found."

"We'll ask Mrs Russell. In the meantime, let's see what Sophia says."

I sent Sophia a message asking if she would be willing to play piano for our revue. I told her the piece and asked her to keep it to herself. The response was quick: "You're kidding, right?"

After a quick voice call, she agreed to do it and would have a quiet word with Pru. Next on our hit list were Sam and Jessica. We were lucky to see them as we got close to our year room.

"Hi you two," Helen opened.

"Did you get permission?" Jessica asked.

"Yeah. We need two violinists, are you both up for it?"

"Are you sure? You're friends with Stacy, and she is a much better than me," said Jessica.

"We want you two," I responded, not letting Jessica put herself down. I told them what we were going to do and they both burst out laughing. "You're serious, aren't you?" laughed Sam, wiping away the laughter tears.

Perhaps this wasn't my best idea.

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

new style

great chapter keep em coming

thank god

I love this story. When I saw this chapter was up I took to it like a starving man to a pizza. Thank you for posting this Karen. Keep up the wonderful work.

Jessica

Great To See Another Wonderful Chapter Karen !!

It was great seeing the events at the Hall again and now, you have given us a new mystery too!! Darn it!! Now we have to wait to see what David has in mind !! You have created a wonderful universe with Penny and Annette. I wonder who else is going to contribute.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

a little crusade

Yes, I can only agree, with an exception of certain awful rule, which tears me up whenever I read this universe. Almost nothing is so painfull as feeling alone. Only worse thing is forced to be alone, without your never perfect family, that you like and dislike at the same time. Otherwise, this part part was really enjoyable. I had to smile about that disliking of bitter chocolate.
I hope you will find the time to write another chapter soon.
Till then, nice holiday with friends wishes
Robin

Another amaizing and enlightening chapter...

I do wonder what this revue will entail. Do I get to come up with a few things for Year two to do? Just kidding. Now, since they need HELP with this "thingy" and, it'll be in the auditorium, I don't think we have to worry about a reprise of Bolero (as performed by Tourville & Dean)... The ice might be difficult. Roller Skates? Oh wow. Mr. Prim and Proper teaching roller blading!

Things seem to really be moving along. I wonder if Jayne/David & Matilda will have more friction now, or less...

One last thing. How long until Part 41?

Annette

just ... thanks!

I was looking forward to more of your great story Karen.
Thanks for this new chapter and please do not keep us waiting till x-mass ;)

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

N S - Great Chapter

K P - Great Chapter But, take all the time you need to keep the great story coming! Richard

Richard

Thank-you

I really am delinquint in not thanking Karen more often for her wonderful offerings.

THANK YOU KAREN. There that should make up for the last few chapters as well.

Yet again, questions answered and questions posed.

One question tho, in what year is Sophie? She does not appear on Annette's class list for year 2 as far as I can see, so that would expand the special thing outside of years 1 and 2. Minor trivia I know, but I am looking forward to the next chapter, hopefully dealing with the Christmas time and events.

Thank you again for sharing.

A

re: Sophia

Hi

Oops. This happens because the writters in the SPA universe all talk to each other and share their chapters. I stupidly didn't check that the chapter that talks about Sophia had been released yet. Sorry for any confusion, and utmost appologies to Annette. I will say no more as I don't want to add any more spoilers for the next exciting chapters of A New Style of Education:Hidden Gifts.

Hugs

Karen

Hmmm. Sophia... I wonder who she is.

Hmmm. Sophia. I wonder who she is? Maybe that's the "code name" for "Sophisticated Omnipotent Performer Having Invigorating Aptitude" ? Nah, that can't be it. Well, maybe one of these day's we'll figure out what SOPHIA is all about.

These Authors that Drop little "hints", and then make us wait forever to fill in details. So frustrating. Wait. What am I talking about? I do know the author of New Style of Education: Hidden Gifts fairly well. Maybe I should tell her to get on the ball and get a chapter posted.

Annette

How not to stay hidden

Jamie Lee's picture

None of those kids have ever baked or they'd have know coco is not the sweeten chocolate they're used to eating. And it's likely when it was a drink, no one had thought of using a sweetener to it. And likely because sugar, or the like, was often more precious than gold.

What they kids missed is that people had to design everything they saw as the bars were wrapped. The machine which moved the bars along, held the wrappers, folded the wrappers, sealed then and, if not packed by hand, packaged the bars. Even the processes they weren't allowed to see, was designed by people.

For someone who wants to stay off the radar, Matilda goes about it the wrong way. She gets into systems she shouldn't then get the very attention she doesn't want. She goofs when doing something she shouldn't, and gets noticed. If she doesn't want to be noticed then she needs to keep her fingers off her PDA and any computer keyboard.

Just what has Jayne planned for Boxing Day? It must be really unusual, for her and the school, to get so many shocked reactions.

Others have feelings too.

David ,,,

... could have performed this