Project: Night Bird Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Lucy wakes up from where she had fallen asleep. The red indicator that powered her bionic arm was flashing fast, which meant the battery pack was low on energy. She climbs down from the cockpit of the Apache she had been working on and over to her makeshift workbench.
Once she is there, she turns her arm off and pushes down on the release button, that allows her arm to pop off the shaft that was part of the artificial mount attached to her shoulder.

It was a good thing her artificial arm wasn’t too heavy as she grabs it with her left hand and lowers it to the workbench. She cleans the inside of the arm where it attaches to her body and applies a light coating of lubrication to it. She cleans the shaft it attaches to and applies the same lubricant.

After lubricating her arm and the shaft, she pops the battery pack out and places the fully charged one into its place. Why she ever agreed to let Mr. Wright replace her ruined right arm with this artificial one, she’ll never know. She sure as hell didn’t agree to let him change her body. He had remade her over to look like his wife.

She had discovered that when she woke up a week later in the private hospital she had gone too. The medical team that worked for Mr. Wright had put her out, so they could reinforce her shoulder area to support her new arm. It wasn’t until she woke up, that she discovered what he actually did to her. Not only did he make it so, her body could support the new arm. He redid her whole entire body to look identical to his wife. She was a splitting image of his wife. Every detail about his wife had been replicated on her. The only difference was her right arm. That could be explained why she had her natural arm removed and replace with an artificial one.

When she asked why he had changed her. He just smiled at her and told her that he needed a replacement sex slave. He broke his wife and needed someone to replace her. Since she looked like his wife. He decided to remake her over in her image. That’s was the second reason he offered to replace her ruined arm.

She finishes with her arm and pops it back on to the shaft. She presses the power button and tests her arm. She had to reinitialize the neural connection between her arm and nerves. She grits her teeth when it finally links. It hurt every time she had to replace the battery.

Once she is done with her arm. Lucy heads into the makeshift kitchen and makes herself a cup of coffee. The gorillas that normally watched her were still asleep. If she tried running from them, they could electrocute her with a remote they carried. Simon had built into her arm a way to control her and to have fun as well. He could send a signal out to her artificial arm to shock her. Since her arm was connected to her body, he could intensify the strength of the electrical shock and kill her.

Once her coffee was brewed. She grabs a package of pop tarts from an opened box and sits down to eat. She still had a lot of work to do to get the Apache finished. Then she needed to get started on the CH-53E Super Stallion they stole from the airplane graveyard, along with the
Apache that had been there.

She will be happy when the crew Simon said would be coming to help her, arrive. She couldn’t do all the work herself. She walks over to all the items they had stolen from Aero Flight Industries and the airplane graveyard. They needed these supplies for the Apache and for the Super Stallion.

After completing the inventory of what she still needed. She sends it off to the contact Mr. Wright had given her. She was glad that he wasn’t here right now. He would have her naked and on her knees servicing him. After she finishes her breakfast, she goes back to work getting the Apache up and running.

Aero Flight Industries, Coconino County, Arizona:
Cora yawns as she follows the directions from her Garmin. She had taken the Chev Camaro she appropriated from the first case she did. She pulls up to the security gate “Hi, I hear to see Murray Webber.”

“You’re name, ma’am?” Lucas looks at the Native American woman sitting in a suped-up Chev Camaro.

“Cora Black with Black Feather Investigations.”

Lucas checks his list of people coming in and noticed that Mrs. Black’s name had been added early in the morning. He grabs a visitor pass “ I’ll need for you to sign for this pass, ma’am and when you leave I’ll need for you to return it.”

“That’s fine.”

Lucas hands the clipboard to her to sign for the pass. Once Cora was finished signing for the pass. He hands her the pass.

“Mr. Webber office is in building 4A. You can’t miss it, Mrs. Black.”

“Thanks, Officer Lucas.” Cora goes through the gate and heads over towards a bunch of building.

The building Cora was looking for turned out to be an all-glass building. It was ten stories tall and faced the airfield. There were already several military-style hummers parked in front of the building, along with two security SUV’s. She parks her Camaro in the space next to one of the security SUV's. She picks up her purse and heads towards the entrance of the building.

As she walks in, she heads directly towards the elevators. She had been given Mr. Webber’s office and what floor it was on. When she arrives at the floor, there were guards on the floor. One of them stop her “ who are you ma’am and why are you here?”

“I’m here to see Mr. Webber and my name is Cora Black with Black Feather Investigations.”

“Let her in, Mr. Smith. She’s Katey’s friend.” Murray had been informed by the front gate that Ms. Black was heading to see him.

Cora looks at the person that just spoke. He was an older gentleman dressed in a business suit. He holds his hand out to Cora “Hi, I’m Murry Webber.”

“Cora Black.” She shakes his hand.

“Let’s head into my office, Mrs. Black.”

“Actually, Mr. Webber, you might want to get a security team and start checking one of your building for a break-in.”

“Why do you say that?” Murry looked confused.

“Because of this.” Cora grabs the blueprints and employee badge out of her purse and hands them to Mr. Webber.

Murray accepts them and starts looking through them. He recognized the building on the blueprint “Smith, take a team over to building WA4, while I inform the mountain.”

“Yes, sir.” Smith grabs a group of people and heads out of the office.

Mr. Webber looks at Cora “where did you find these?”

“Out on the reservation in a shot-up Rv. There were with several other dead bodies as well. I found your man bound and gag. He looked to been killed execution-style.” Cora shows him the pictures she took of the area.

“Damn! He was one of our best engineers.” Murray was lucky Fin Lance wasn’t on Project Night Bird team, or whoever kidnapped him would have either have possession of it or knowledge of it.

There’s a knock on Murray Webber’s office door.

“Enter!”

Anne stick her head into his office “sorry for bothering and interrupting you sir, but Mrs. Blake and Captain Burns are on their way here.”

“Thank you, Anne.”

Anne closes the office door and goes back to her station. Murray turns his attention back to Cora “Would you mind informing our investigation
team about how you came across your information?”

“I don’t mind, Mr. Webber. Maybe I can help” Cora wouldn’t mind lending her unique abilities to the investigation.

“That’s up to Captain Burns. However, I know your reputation from your friend Katey.” Murray heard stories that Katey told about Mrs. Black.

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

They will be

Samantha Heart's picture

Well advised to let Cora help maybe she can figure out who & what is going on.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

The huge question

Jamie Lee's picture

How did they break in to that building without anyone noticing? Maybe the dead employee helped or was forced to help?

Others have feelings too.