Angel of Haven: Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Part Nine

Malak needed little exploring to find the control room for the operation. It was the second largest chamber in the building, after the internal garage. While most of the building was nearly empty, this place was full of people busy doing things which at first glance would not have been out of place in any modern office. At the far end from the double doors of the main entrance was a large desk, on a low dais. There sat someone Malak was surprised to see. Though he was not nearly as surprised as the occupants of the room were when he became visible.

The subdued murmur common to any large office quickly died to silence.

"Well, well, well..." said Malak, actually smiling, as he looked at the stunned General Conyers. "I swear I read about your funeral. Now, I want you to just keep sitting right there..."

His smile vanished. He looked around the control center at the others there.

"The rest of you GET OUT," he said, snapping his wings wide for emphasis.

In seconds, only the General and Malak were left.

"How did you break free from the effects of our device?" demanded Conyers, sounding personally offended.

"Did you think I wouldn't recognize Doctor Oblivion's Hypno Ray? Please. I helped defeat him or put paid to him by myself several times."

Which didn't directly answer the question, but at least provided a solid clue.

"I'd love to know how you got it, but that's something to leave for later."

Malak walked to the General's desk, changing to Aaron on the way. His intention was to sit in the chair in front of the desk and simply talk to the man, but the General had other ideas. He leapt to his feet, drawing his sidearm as he moved.

"You were a fool to change back," Conyers yelled, as he opened fire.

Aaron simply watched, astounded, as the man emptied his gun. The slide locked back and the disgraced General just stood there, confused, when the empowered man didn't otherwise react to what should have been lethal force.

"The bullets... They had no effect!"

"Well, you put some holes in my clothes."

"But... but... You have no powers in this form!"

"If this form is powerless, how do I change?" said Aaron, disappointed. "Seriously, I'm about as resistant to damage like this as I am with wings. Now, sit down. We're going to talk."

"Your mind control powers won't work on me! My will is too strong!"

"I guess it's a good thing I don't have mind control powers, then. Now, sit."

He sat, but warily, watching Aaron closely as the empowered man also took a seat.

"It doesn't matter what happens to me," he said, defiantly. "You freaks are on the way out! The people are on our side! Your lies have been exposed! Once the laws we have coming up in Congress are approved, you'll all be rounded up and exterminated!"

"Just like the Nazis tried with the Jews," said Aaron, angrily, trying to get the man to see the evil of his bigotry. "They failed, ultimately, though their attempt cost millions of lives. Just as you will fail. Hopefully with far less damage"

"There aren't nearly as many of you!" said Conyers, almost screaming. "We can stop you now, before you grow in numbers!"

"I had hoped to talk with you. However, you aren't willing to talk. Only spout dogma and prejudice. So, I will pass you on to other hands."

He reactivated his long-range com and called Blackpool.

* * *

The discussion of Aaron's adventure and the subsequent cleanup by the Empowered Matters Agency was far from secret. However, at the meeting where he formally related the story to some of his allies there were only five people... though one was Mannequin, in their accustomed androgynous, pale-skinned form, so perhaps that counted as more. Most of the empowered at the repository were too busy with their own projects to be more than casually interested and most of the government employees at the facility figured it was none of their business. Even Blackpool's government-issue secretary.

"This talk of his about bills before Congress..." said Blackpool, frowning, after Aaron finished. "That actually has me worried."

"I am also concerned," said Aaron. "However, I am already working on countermeasures."

"That still doesn't address the folly of this man's philosophy in regard to the empowered," said CornFed.

"My dog has a better philosophy than that," said Mannequin, dismissively, "and I don't even have a dog!"

"What's the old saying that against human folly even the gods struggle in vain?" said Blackpool, looking expectantly at Aaron.

"In his novel The Maid of Orleans Friedrich Schiller wrote that 'Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst,'" said Mannequin. "Which roughly translates as 'Against [human] stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.'"

The others stared at Mannequin.

"What, you think Aaron is the only one here who has read a book?"

"Well, barring divine intervention," said Aaron, with a slight smile and a nod at Mannequin, "we must use purely mortal tools."

"I actually feel a bit sorry for Ledbetter," said Zoomer, quietly.

"I've already made arrangements to have him helped, psychologically," said Aaron. "The effects of the Hypno Ray are known, as is what to do to remove them. As for the financial commitment of the Ledbetters, most of the money was his wife's with the rest coming from the group who set the trap. The latter came through various channels under various names. The couple should be able to recover the majority of their investment simply by selling the uncompleted properties. Whatever social harm they have experienced due to pursuing this delusion I'll leave for them to deal with. Meanwhile, I need to use my own social contacts to deal with this other problem."

"The strangest part of this," said Blackpool, "is that not only has the news of the raid on that group of anti-empowered already leaked to the press but some news agencies are claiming that it's a hoax. A few say that their sources in the US Army have flatly declared they've never had a General Conyers. Others are claiming it's a hoax because the military says Conyers was buried in a public ceremony months ago. Some are even saying it's a hoax because, come on, aliens?! Oddly, most are reporting various aspects of the events around the scheme as true with others being unverified, which is actually the truth."

* * *

Aaron stayed behind after the others left. That was not uncommon, but this time the reason was.

"Have you uncovered any news about my grandson?"

"He has not attracted the attention of the Empowered Matters Agency," said Blackpool, reluctantly. The irony that with all the resources at his disposal - including many provided by Aaron - he wasn't able to help his friend definitely did not escape him. "Nor do the equivalent foreign organizations with whom we are on speaking terms have any recent information. I was able to confirm that he did, indeed, sail to the Bahamas on a friend's boat; he used his passport there, and two of his credit cards. He then used the passport and one card a few days later to reserve a plane ticket to the Philippines. He again used his passport to enter the country and his credit cards there for a few days, but not since. That is the last trace of him I could find."

"Thank you. At least now I know where to pick up the trail. I'll have to leave the project to some of my other contacts for now, though. I need to prepare for my speech."

* * *

The joint session of Congress was unusual in several respects. It was being held at the request of President Duff, but the purpose was to allow an individual outside the usual political circles to address the members. Someone without the actual authority to call such a meeting but who nevertheless had something important to say. Something which President Duff felt Congress needed to hear. He did not conceal that this person was Aaron Labelle. He and Aaron both knew that would guarantee that everyone able to attend would do so. If only to challenge what the empowered man said.

The day and hour and minute came. President Duff made his brief opening speech, then turned the session over to the entirely mundane appearing Aaron. Who was unaccustomedly dressed in a very nice, modern, three-piece suit.

"I am here to respectfully ask that you not do something," he said, calmly, once the murmurs had died down following his introduction and welcome by some of the members. "That you not take actions restricting the rights of the empowered. That you not shut down my clinic and use eminent domain to take over my town. That you not keep us from feeding the poor. That you not keep us from healing the sick. That you not keep us from providing shelter to the homeless. Unless you are willing to take up those tasks yourselves."

"What have you ever done for the people of the United States?" came a shout. "All your good deeds are overseas, helping foreigners!"

"Demonstrably untrue. As you, yourself, know, Representative Montrose. You were criticizing both my clinic and my town just last week."

"I'm talking about the big things!"

"Do you mean things which help the wealthy and powerful?" said Aaron, raising an eyebrow. "Rather than the poor and disadvantaged?"

"I mean things which help the nation as a whole!"

"Do you have any idea how many world-threatening menaces I have put paid to?" said Aaron, quietly. "Either alone or as part of a group?"

"You don't get to joke about that!!" screamed Representative Montrose.

"Do I sound like I'm joking?" said Aaron, almost snarling. "In any one year since my triggering I have saved at a minimum thousands of lives, and I have been empowered for many decades! However, my purpose for being here today is not to brag, but to point out that any effort - legal or illegal, open or covert - which interferes with my work endangers hundreds of lives at least. That's for every day the interference continues.

"I respectfully ask that those of you who value life and freedom carefully evaluate how legislation you are about to vote on might affect myself as an individual and as one of the empowered, as well as what effect there would be to aid to those in need if the institutions I have helped create are removed or restricted. To think carefully and deeply about how projects you can choose to support or oppose or simply ignore likewise affect the welfare of the nation and its citizens. All of its citizens.

"Thank you."

He turned and walked off the podium.

* * *

"Well, that's one way to address Congress," said Gadding, dryly.

"The appropriate response by them should have been 'Sir! Yes, sir!'" said Sam, smirking. "Y'know, he could have used his persuasion on them, but that would have been futile since it's short-term only. You can tell he was actually keeping that carefully in check, and sticking to facts, reason and emotional appeal. All while staying as emotionally neutral himself as he could, to avoid accusations he was unduly influencing them. I don't doubt that some will spin that speech against him, but those are folks who would never be for him. He just might have made a good impression on those on the fence. Or at least let them know just how much work they'd be in for if they ever did manage to stop him and those working with him. Here's hoping."

* * *

Something else Aaron had asked of President Duff was to find out what those federal agencies seeking Melody wanted to talk to her about. So far they were all denying trying to talk to her. Blackpool, meanwhile, had confirmed that at least three federal agencies were trying to get Melody to come and speak with some small branch of their operation. Often without the upper brass of their organization even being aware of these attempts. This appeared to be due to deliberate, long-term policies used to create plausible deniability on the parts of those in charge. The newspaper had also been unable to obtain a blanket court order forbidding such attempts. However, the federal court their attorneys worked with on the matter had instead issued an order that those federal agencies wishing to "interview" Melody should contact the paper, explain why they wanted to speak with her and arrange a mutually agreeable meeting. The result had been a complete cessation of the attempts, and a repetition of the denials that the attempts were being made.

One evening a few weeks after her visit to the chemical repository Melody was working on her exercise bike when she heard a polite tapping on the glass door leading to her balcony. Looking around, she was mildly startled to see Aaron. She was not surprised that he would be the one tapping; she actually didn't know that many people who could fly. The surprise was that he would be at her place at all, especially without calling ahead. Puzzled, Melody dismounted and headed for the sliding glass door.

"Good evening," she said, as she opened the door and motioned for Aaron to come in, genuinely pleased to see him. "To what do I owe the honor?"

"I was in town for something else and just thought I'd check in with you," said Aaron, smiling. "I also haven't seen your new place."

"You found it easily enough," said a new voice.

Aaron needed a moment to recognize the dark skinned man in casual clothing. Then he smiled. Melody had the distinct impression that he hadn't laughed only because he knew it might be taken wrong.

"Hello, Blackpool. Or should I call you John when you're not in your working clothes?"

Left unsaid was that he had inserted himself into the scene just in case something sinister was happening. None of them needed that explained.

"John is fine. I heard Melody talking and came to see who her visitor was. I had no idea you were even in town."

"That was deliberate. I was meeting with several fringe empowered here in New York City. They insisted on complete anonymity. The only reason I'm telling you this now is that we've already finished and dispersed. Some further than others..."

"Even with your rapid travel ability and superhuman speed," said Melody, shaking her head, "you remain one of the busiest people - empowered or not - on the planet."

"You've probably heard the old joke," said Aaron, his smile turning sad, "about the man who said 'God put me on Earth to accomplish certain tasks. Right now I'm so far behind I can never die.'"

He looked pointedly at Blackpool - or John Adams Parker - then back at Melody. Who squirmed a bit.

"He's bunking here until he can find a new apartment."

"It that what you kids are calling it these days?" said Aaron, with obvious if quiet amusement.

"We're both adults," said John, pointedly. "I don't think we need your approval."

"I am not being disapproving. I'm actually happy for both of you. Well, since you two obviously have plans for the evening, I'll cut my visit short and simply wish you a good night."

He let Melody escort him to her balcony, where he smiled, waved and vanished.

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yeah...as if Congressional people take the long view

Jamie Lee's picture

All many in that Congress see are people with powers that pose a threat to non-powered people.

They can't see the good they do, are doing, have done, only the threat they pose. And when asking what Malak has done for the Country, they should look in a mirror and ask themselves that question.

Why is it many have a hatred specifically for Malak? Is it because he interferes with the illegal activities? Or their illegal plans? Or just a general hatred for the empowered?

Others have feelings too.

The "dislike" is a

Stickmaker's picture

The "dislike" is a combination of those. As well, though many may not realize it consciously, Malak makes them feel inadequate. Physically and socially.

Just passing through...