Burger Queen Chp. 18

Printer-friendly version

During the week, the food truck and the food carts stayed busy. Alissa did an Easter dinner for the homeless shelter and Tony did a barbecue fundraiser for the little league football team help support. All the money from the fundraiser went towards new equipment and uniforms for the team. He donated some of the funds to the cheerleading squad that supported the team during the game.

The catering business was still breaking even. Which sort of bothered Alissa, because it was one of their main income bringers. However, the money the food truck and food carts brought in, was making up the difference.

She had her lawyer working on a lawsuit against the health inspector that always gave her a hard time. Along with that, she has been looking at wedding dresses for her wedding. Her and Gregory had talked about it and decided to get married next year. They were looking for a Spring wedding. She already decided that Tony was going to cater the reception. They haven’t decided where they were going to have the reception, but where ever it was going to be, would have to be outside.

Later in the evening, she and Gregory are watching the evening news and the food truck, along with the food charts appear on the screen. The newscaster was showing pictures of the food truck and the food carts. The newscaster gave a glowing review of the food truck and food carts.
How the food was as delicious as the service. How the people that worked at the truck and cart made you feel like you were getting the best.

They treated you better than any service you got at most high-end restaurants.

“I can’t believe.” Alissa was amazed that their food truck and carts had been filmed.

“You’re telling me.” Gregory was amazed as well.

“This is going to increase the business at the truck and carts a lot.” Alissa couldn’t believe the newscaster gave them such a glowing review.

The following day, the food truck crew ended up calling Alissa for more supplies. She packs the catering van up with the items set aside for the next day’s run and takes it to them. She wonders how busy they were.

When she pulls up where the food truck was, she couldn’t believe how busy they were. She pulls the catering van as close as possible.

“Thank god you got my text, Alissa. We are almost out of everything.” Bobby was so happy Alissa showed up with more food.

Alissa couldn’t believe how long the line was. She had never seen the line so long before. Even after her first time out with the food truck.

“Well, after that news report last night. I didn’t figure you would get this busy.” Alissa couldn’t believe how busy they got.

Between Bobby and Alissa they get the food truck loaded with new supplies. Alissa sticks around and helps the truck staff out and refill the
carts as well. She takes the empty trays and containers and put them in the catering van.

Once the truck and carts are resupplied. She heads back home to clean and make new product to go out tomorrow. The rest of the afternoon she keeps busy in the catering kitchen.

The Following Weeks:
For the next three weeks, the food trucks and cart stay extremely busy. Alissa’s Lawyer calls her and informs Alissa. The health inspector supervisor had been informed and he was fired from the health department.

She wasn’t the only one that complained. There had been several other restaurants and businesses that had been targeted by the inspector.
That made Alissa and Gregory happy. The supervisor of the health department said they would send another person to reinspect the facilities if she would like them too. Gregory and Alissa talked about it and agreed.

The new inspector was coming in a few days to inspect the catering kitchen. Alissa didn’t know if she should have kept the old rating. However, she was confident that her place was in order.

For the next few days, the truck stays busy and Alissa has to make trips out to resupply them. When she came back on the second day, the inspector was waiting for her.

“Hello, is there anything I can do for you?” Alissa was surprised that the inspector was there already.

“I’m here to do a reinspect, Mrs. Spencer. My name is Larry Cable.”

“Oh, okay. Well, let me show you in.” Alissa takes her keys and opens the door.

Larry could tell Mrs. Spencer was nervous. Before he walks into the catering kitchen. He stops next to her “you have nothing to fear Mrs.
Spencer. I’ve eaten at your food truck and carts and saw how conscious your people are.” He gives her a reassuring smile as he walks into the kitchen.

Alissa stands outside and watches from the doorway as the Inspector went about examining the kitchen. He takes longer then the other inspector did. He finally finishes and walks over to Alissa.

“Congratulations Mrs. Spencer, you have a very neat place.” He removes her old rating and put the new one up.

“Thank you.” Alissa lets a sigh escape as a smile appears on her face.

Cable saw the relief in Mrs. Spencer’s face and smile. He closes his clipboard. Just as he is walking back to his car. He stops and looks at her
“Mrs. Spencer, I have a question for you. How do you get the chicken so tender on the Hawaiin Chicken sandwich?”

“I steam it when I cook it. I try to make it so tender, that if a person has false teeth. They can enjoy it.” Alissa looks at the inspector.

“Well, I would love to learn how to cook some of your sandwiches.” He has tried some of the hamburgers and loved them.

“If I tell you all my secrets, I’ll be out of business.” Alissa wasn’t going to reveal her secrets.

“Well, you can’t blame me for trying.” He smiles at her as he walks to his car.

“Thank you, Mr. Cable.” Alissa watches as he drives off.

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Larry Cable really?

Great story as always, but the new inspector is Larry the Cable Guy? Ok then.

Steaming

WillowD's picture

I do find that steaming makes chicken more tender. Unfortunately I also find it tends to rinse a lot of the flavor out of the meat and into the water. I find that one way to keep it tender and flavorful is to slow cook.

I am really, REALLY enjoying this story.